Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamabirrd

update: update: traveling daylilies (photos 11)

mamabirrd
15 years ago

Hello everyone, old and new! I am stopping by to post some special pictures, long overdue. I hope Jo will forgive me for posting them so late. And thank you Marea for reminding me! HUGS!

These photot's are of the special gifts handmade by Jo for my sweet boy Talon. Excuse the wrinkles........we love to cuddle with our blankies. :) Each gift is so cherished and these pictures do not do justice to show the love, talent, care, and thought that went into making each one.

Here is the beautiful, soft blanket that Talon loves....

The colors are so pretty and it's really heavy duty but soft as can be. This blankie will be around for a long time. : )

Jo made this growth chart which we LOVE......not sure if you can see the inch marks going up the side......

It will be so nice to finally be able to hang it in Talon's new room someday.

The quilt is so amazing! Jo did each stitch lovingly by hand. Can you believe it?? Thank you all for your contributions. We love it so much. Read the poem by Jo....she is talented beyond words. I tried to get pictures of each of your squares....hope you can see 'em.

Even the back is gorgeous.......

I cannot wait to someday tell Talon all about this quilt. Thank you again to all of you, and especially you Jo for such a beautiful gift.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I only have a minute, so I better run. Keep your fingers crossed for me.....more medical issues that we're trying to solve. I promise to come back with more pictures and updates and hopefully to get caught up on all the posts.

Hugs,

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

Comments (45)

• nyvoices99
    15 years ago

Oh Dawn That is beautiful!!
    Jo, you did a GREAT job!!!

• pchanggeo
    15 years ago

Greetings from Texas :). Internet is a wonderful thing (sometimes).

WOW. That quilt is amazing. Jo is just awesome. I can honestly say it's the best quilt I've ever been part of.... a little part but still. Dawn, thanks for posting the pictures.

Paul

• mamabeargloria2007
    15 years ago

oh my gosh..... i am so glad you posted this photo... wow jo\wow
    that thing is so pretty..... you did a great job.... good going..
    im sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo proud to be a part of your family heirloom.... im so impressed....
    and paul looks great in purple!

i hope you are feeling better... a little birdie told me you were not feeling well, so honey i flew here...
    your in my prayers and email me
    not thru this email as it never worked.
    my email is

flowersforme1234@aol.com
    you ever need anything... email me...
    love yah girl... hugs xoxox

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Boo Hoo I didn't see my square on the quilt, even got my reading glasses so they would magnify. That has to be the most amazing quilt ever. Jo what a fantastic job you did. A county fair would go bananas to have that beauty entered.

Paul-Help get those refineries back up. LOL
    All the gas stations here are out of gas. Some closed today at 7:00 and 8:00 where they normally close at 11:00.

Shirley

• mareas
    15 years ago

Shirley, I found your square on the FABULOUS quilt, right next to Carmen and "All our love The traveling dayliles" in the 3rd photo up from the bottom of the series.

I sure hope yall get gas to buy soon - that is very scary!

Speaking of scary, our mamabird was told to go the emergency room by her doctor today.

Dawn, I'm praying for you every other breath ~ please do check in asap with good news OK?
    marea

• budsnblooms
    15 years ago

Just said a prayer for you also Dawn. Please do let us know about you as soon as you can.

Jo...that quilt is absolutely beautiful.

Paul...are you looking at rocks in Texas or looking for oil? In any case...enjoy the scenery and share pictures when you get back.

These are my four John's: Great Grandfather-John Wyatt, Grandfather John Gardner, Father-John Brent, Son-John Gunner

Gunner is laying on a quilt his great great aunt made for his dad when he was born.

Debbie

• budsnblooms
    15 years ago

My favorite D Daylilies this year:

Daughter of Magic

Double Bourbon

Well it seems my photobucket has stopped working....I'll post more "D" daylilies later.
    Debbie

• mareas
    15 years ago

I just love that Daughter of Magic, Debbie! But yall know I love pink daylilies...

Joy, you took such beautifully arranged photos of your swap surprises that I didn't recognize them, LOL So glad you like everything!
    Your kitty Mocha is just adorable! Here's my box packing crew (Mocha could smell them I'm sure) - Chuck the Persian, Carmel Bob (aka Bowie) & Tim:
    {{gwi:1301172}}

Marea

• pnwjoy54
    15 years ago

It looks like this is where I should have posted the pics.
    I'll just have to add some more. :-)
    Wow! Those are such beautiful quilts. And so special too. I so admire anyone who can make such works of art. There's some real talent here. I'm pretty untalented except when it comes to growing things.
    Debbie, Enjoyed your 4 John's photo, especially the littlest one. What a cutie. And such pretty daylilies, I'll have to go back through the group posts here so I can see the others you posted.
    Marea, That's a fine looking group of box packers. :-)
    I have 12 of them. (yep, Crazy cat lady)
    2 were strays that I started feeding. They're friendly but mostly prefer to stay outside. The other 10 are indoor/outdoor cats. Mocha's my youngest. He just turned a year. Tinky is the oldest at 15. Tinky (a nic name that stuck) still hunts and tries to climb trees, but the tree climbing is just to impress me. :-) Here's Tinky. His ears are short because he had skin cancer on them so had to have them removed, but I think he's still very handsome :-)

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

Dawn, what beautiful Quilts! Things to truly cherish!
    Jo, You are so talented and loving to do all that. We all appreciate the love and work you have put into it. Thank you JO!

Debbie, love "The Johns" Picture. LOL
    Your pink Daughter of Magic is wonderful!

Marea and pnw, love the cat pictures!
    sharon

• pchanggeo
    15 years ago

Howdy y'all :)
    I'm back home from my trip to east Texas... was working, so not much time to be a tourist. There wasn't much in Lubbock and Amarillo anyways, but I did go here to eat:

{{gwi:1301174}}

The world famouse Big Texan Steak Ranch, home of the free 72-oz steak... it's free provided you eat the entire four and a half pound slab of beef plus all the fixings in 1 hour. I settled for a chicken fried steak sandwich instead :).

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Paul-Wow how could anyone eat that much steak. Maybe if you went hungry for 2-3 days you could.

Here is Lily Cappuccino from my summer pictures.

Royal Sunset

Calla Black Magic

Bears Breeches(From our beloved Jo)

Daylily Tropical Embers

Shirley

• mareas
    15 years ago

Utterly gorgeous as usual, Shirley! That Black Magic calla photo is the best one I've ever seen - I can see now why people like it!

My SSS Swap box from Joy just arrived:
    {{gwi:1301179}}

Can you tell she included some catnip? LOL I had all my wonderful goodies arranged to take a photo & when I got back with my camera that dang Velvet had rearranged things to her liking..
    Joy also sent me clumps of 'Sarah' lavender, Valerian, viola Freckles, Iron Cross oxalis, an industrial strength marking pen, several Drumstick allium bulbs, Matrix' asiatic lily AND daylilies Crimson Pirate & Ferris Wheel, all with garden markers !!
    I LOVE EVERYTHING YOU SENT, thank you very much!
    Joy-fully, marea

• pchanggeo
    15 years ago

I received my SSS Swap box from Debbie today. She sent me U of Kentucky shirt and hat (which I will wear proudly, except during NCAA basketball seaon :)), bunch of dvd's for me and the kids, KY candy of all sorts (they made it here with no problems), a beautiful card, and so many plants that I ran out of TZ tape for my labeller... LOL.

{{gwi:1301180}}

Thank you Debbie... really love everything.
    Paul

• mareas
    15 years ago

I thought for sure you would brag about your new semps, Paul LOL

Everyone is getting such cool boxes, way too go group!
    And thank heavens Miriam's great goodie box got there in time, [whew] *grin*

Carol,I'm so happy to hear you liked your new daylilies from Oregon that Dianne got you!

Here's today's flower, one of my gifts from the Traveling Daylilies back in '05, Siloam Helpmate.

Is this cool or WHAT to have rebloom flowers in October?
    Hope my photo put some sunshine in your day, marea

• pnwjoy54
    15 years ago

Wow Paul, Debbie did great on your swap box.
    Marea, I'm so glad you were happy with your box. And I can see your pretty kitty likes it too. :-)
    I sure had fun putting it together for you.
    I sent you the valerian sense you said you have cats. My cats will pass right by catnip if they smell valerian roots. Valerian root is a cat attractant similar to catnip. For humans Valerian is a sedative but for cats it's a stimulant. They go crazy from the roots, it's so fun to watch. It spreads pretty well so once you plant it you'll have enough to pull some out so your cats can enjoy the roots. That's a Beautiful Daylily you posted. I still have some blooming too but it's too cool for most to open well.
    Here's one that opeded ok.
    AMNOR

Here's a few things giving me some late blooms.
    My Brugmansia just started blooming. Very late this year.

Matchstick Mum

Passion Flower is really late this year too.

Joy

• dirtpig
    15 years ago

LOL...just have to post this.

{{gwi:1301186}}

Sharon sent this to me too.Sorry forgot to list this one.
    She received it from Marea.So beware someone will be getting it later on...LOL
    I just keep thinking about it dancing around at night when all are in bed sound to sleep.LOL..I mean look at those BIG
    FEET!

And how did you know I put all kinds of things in my flower pots.So the lizards found a home right away:)

Got to run,work.
    Hugs,Jean

• pchanggeo
    15 years ago

Just a nudge to keep this thread on page 1. My youngest and I went camping over the weekend. He got to sleep in a teepee :). Good thing the rain missed us... there's a large opening on the top where the poles meet.

{{gwi:1301187}}

• pchanggeo
    15 years ago

Hello.
    I hope y'all don't mind if I show off my handy work :). Vegetable garden markers made especially for Sharon:

{{gwi:1301188}}

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Wow! Those are just too cool!! I really like those! You did a great job on them! Melinda

• pnwjoy54
    15 years ago

Those are adorable. Very talented you are.

Joy

• budsnblooms
    15 years ago

Wow Paul...feel free to add your veggie markers in a box to me anytime:0) Debbie

• nyvoices99
    15 years ago

Ditto Paul, Such great work!!

• cheerpeople
    15 years ago

Jo and Paul,
    You are both very talented! Very nice! Applause!!!

Karen

• cheerpeople
    15 years ago

You gotta admit this looks really cool!

{{gwi:63445}}

{{gwi:63444}}

Nope the flap jacks aren't hardy here. Will see if they work out like this for winter...

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: more oct pics

• budsnblooms
    15 years ago

Wow Karen, what a stunning plant...give us details. What are flap jacks, how large do they get...and especially what is that blue stuff it is planted in?

Now for more questions, are you a master gardener, or perhaps a landscaper? One thing I do know for sure...you are also one of our very talented members.

Debbie

• cheerpeople
    15 years ago

Flap jacks are succulents. Something that does fine outside in my sister's CA garden. I put a cutting in my suitcase and I'm trying it as a houseplant here in zone 5 for winter.

It is potted in the crayola sand that comes in small bags that is now on sale at wal mart.
    I painted a container to match. Not long after that picture was taken my dtr knocked it to the floor- sand everywhere! It's repotted and isn't damaged.
    Phew!

Thx for the compliments. No on both questions.

A lady stopped by from out of state and bought a bunch of plants this weekend. She saw my listing on craig's list. I think it was fun for both of us. Her husband said their was no more room in the car but she just kept jamming more in!

:)
    Karen

• mareas
    15 years ago

Hi Dawn & everyone!
    Thought maybe you might enjoy this photo as much as I did as a respite from the onset of Winter...

This a view I took at Schreiner's Iris display garden.
    Karen, what fun that must have been to find such a mutual gardener!! I love it when eBayers get enthusiastic like that, too.
    And your "flap jack" is beautiful!
    Debbie is always so head-on about stuff ~ I agree with her about you being a very talented horticulturist. [grin]
    Happy After-election-and-onto-Thanksgiving to you all ~m'

• veeja11
    15 years ago

what a fablous quilt, didn't see my name, but thought I knew the motorcycle chicks. Jo do you sell quilts, I am needing a king and queen size one, yours are beautiful, if you sell them please let me know costs. when we were young my dh took us on a romantic weekend once a month to a motel with a hot tub. because of age and the economy we haven't done this for at least 5 yrs so dh just built a motel room with a spa in our shed. he is not a carpenter but did a fine job. here are before and after pics door area where sp is

same area with spa nd new dor and walls
    rest of room with bed,
    found a new double pillow top set for 120.00.
    the celing trim was some I bought long ago hoping to paint our room. paint was a clearence can of mis tint that matches the trim perfectly. The ceiling light was a 6.00 lowes clearence. so a nice cheap motel rom we soak daily now, very relaxing. I can't believe you all didn't jump on a chance to send to mamma bear. I am scared because I don't have anything that she dosen't already have, although I have a couple of small things I will be sending as a I am happy you are my friend gift. hugs carol

• mareas
    15 years ago

Carol, what a fantastic idea to have your own spa!
    You are so lucky. We need to find you a bookcase, tho.

Joy OMIGOD! I was afraid you were so quiet because something was wrong. So happy to hear all is well!!
    I had a cancer scare last Summer, but 2nd biopsy was normal, so I can well understand your relief.

Here is a random collection of some of my favorite daylilies,
    just in case anybody needs a color blast:
    Smokey Mtn Autumn
    Origami Angel
    Driving Me Wild
    Spartacus Adorned

Victorian Lace

Bohemia After Dark

Who all takes digital photos in our group?
    Any ideas about my next camera?

• pnwjoy54
    15 years ago

Wow! Very nice Carol. And you did so great on finding the bargains for your spa.

Marea, Yes, It was very scary for a while. Reading up on ovarian cancer on the web only made it worse. We are sooooo relieved. I have over 200 seedlings I want to see bloom so I can't leave this ole earth yet. LOL
    Lovely photos of your daylilies. Really love that 'Bohemia After Dark'.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Joy

• pchanggeo
    15 years ago

Here's my Neon Rose amaryllis:
    {{gwi:1301197}}

Marea, I use a Nikon Coolpix 5400. It's many years old, so I'm actually thinking about getting a digital SLR. My notes say Karen uses a Canon Powershot SD 450 elph, and I was very impressed with her closeups.

Thanks,
    Paul

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

Paul, great shot. And I hear a 'Happy Birthday' is in order .... smile.

Joy, glad is was good news.

And Mareas, you know how to drive me Wild!!! Wonderful pictures - all of them. But you know who I like the best ... Sparticus Adorned. LOL

And Carol - I love the 'hotel room and spa'! You and your hubby did a great job. It's great to see different ideas like that! I hope those aren't x-rated DVD's in that TV! Well, knowing you ... they are. LOL

Karen, I've never seen a flap jack before ... how interesting.

sharon

• mareas
    15 years ago

Sharon, I'm with you on Spartacus Adorned! Those are my favorite colors, plus in person Spartacus
    has so much elegant charisma & presence...a keeper.

I'm glad everyone liked the page out of my new Miriam calendar, I will keep sharing them *grin*

Sorry I forgot to announce the winner of the SSS Secret swap ~ Paul won with his GREAT veggie row markers
    & received as a prize some of my favorite red & purple semps & a couple other succulent goodies.
    Should have sent a watch & a pen...

My new Viola seedling crop is starting to bloom!
    This one is really these colors ~ love it!

Happy Thanksgiving! ~m'

• cheerpeople
    15 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving! God has certainly blessed us with another beautiful summer gone by!

We are having ham. I'm keeping it simple. It is a working holiday as we are still trying to get the corn harvested. I'm not much of a kitchen diva anyway!

Paul, I'm impressed you took notes. Yes, I love my elph.

Marea, that Bohemia dark DL is really lovely.

Got to go rock climbing and laser tagging last weekend with the kids. Got to the top of the wall on the three I tried. It is such a rush. I like the easy hand holds.

Keep putting pics here- to keep away the sadness of winter...
    Karen :)

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Marea & Karen- Thanks for the gorgeous pictures. We sure do need lots of these to chase away the winter blues.

Shirley

• pchanggeo
    15 years ago

Karen and Shirley... you mean your yard doesn't look like this? :)

Carol, here are some brug photos... rained the last couple of days, but it's beautiful today. First is Charles Grimaldi and second is Dr. Seuss (which is about finished).

{{gwi:1301200}}

{{gwi:1301201}}

Now I need to gather up the stuff I received from Carol and Marea and take photos. Will be back :).

Thanks,
    Paul

• pchanggeo
    15 years ago

Okay.. here's what I received from Marea as the SSS Swap prize:
    {{gwi:1301202}}

And from Carol, for the Thanksgiving swap:
    {{gwi:1301203}}
    {{gwi:1301204}}

a planner (came with several pens.. I replaced a couple with a couple of my fountain pens), garden markers, more ballpoint pens, cranberry scented candle (wife loves these), sparkling apple/grape cider (will drink tonight), Daylily John Peat, Amaryllis Minerva, and the most delicious and rich home-made fudge with walnuts (I think). Fudge is all gone.

Thank you.
    Paul

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Paul-Thank you so much for the Brug pictures....I never tire seeing pictures of those. It was so dry here mine might have had 1-2 blooms. Nice boxes you received.

Shirley

• cheerpeople
    15 years ago

You really lucked out Paul. Nice stuff! Those can't be current pics of your yard, are they?
    I thought you lived in WA or OR and had some frost by now.
    So, I'm juust a tad jealous if you can see that now!
    You know the one draw back with my elph camera is I frequently get the icon telling me my camera is shaking. Even if holding it very still. The high wind causes problems with focusing but they might make a similar model with some type of stabilizing feature to minimize this. I take many out of focus pics. The 2 below are examples as they were taken on horseback and the first with 12 X magnification as I was far away.

Marea, Since you asked for a horse pic I went out in 39 degree weather for the first ride in a while. Shiloh was too full of energy and naughty.

Here is the corn harvest here. Don't be fooled by the small size of these blue wagons. They are really big- 3 will fill a semi truck full of corn.

and here if my hubby having the time of his life! If he wasn't so tired he might smile more. The combine is quite large also if you are standing up next to it. So- anyway- this should counts as a horse picture!

BTW Marea, The lily garden idea with semps sounds groovy! You are the semp queen!

I just found a photo/ art web place called redbubble.com. Some lovely and some weird art there.

A warm bubble bath sounds dreamy right about now...
    Karen

• pchanggeo
    15 years ago

Some photos for you all dealing with bad weather and snow:
    Amaryllis Neon Rose started blooming (note the brug in the background still flowing)
    {{gwi:1301210}}

And a Schlumbergera "Dark Marie"
    {{gwi:1301212}}

It's still warm so this bearded iris decided to bloom - Hemstitched (from Shirley I think)
    {{gwi:1301215}}

And I still have one plumeria hanging on :)
    {{gwi:1301217}}

Thanks,
    Paul

• mareas
    15 years ago

Yep, Southern California is paradise.
    Thank you for sharing, Paul!
    I have viola & pineapple sage flowers & felt blessed!
    ~m'

• budsnblooms
    15 years ago

I wanted to post a few pictures from a family get together at our house Saturday (Dec. 13).

{{gwi:1301218}}

{{gwi:1301219}}

{{gwi:1301220}}

{{gwi:1301221}}

{{gwi:1301222}}

{{gwi:1301223}}

{{gwi:1301224}}

{{gwi:1301225}}

There's lots more but I'm sure you've had enough. I'll post more after Christmas. I hope you will share your family with the rest of us.

Big Holiday Hug,
    Debbie

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

I love the pics Debbie! He sure is growing and ever so adorable! All the pics where great! Looks like everyone had a great time!

• toomanyanimals
    15 years ago

Deb, Thanks for the warm photo's! Everyone looks so happy. Who are the beauties on the chair with the baby and the baby picture? And is that you with the baby at the dinner table? The parents with the baby on the couch look a little wiped out ... I remember that feeling. lol All the kids and babies ... I miss all that. My youngest niece is 12. There might be a baby at our christmas eve gathering ... a step-niece's daughter (she doesn't always come to our gatherings ... ya know how that can be sometimes ... too many places to go and only so much time).

Maybe we can start a new picture thread with our Christmas pictures? Waddoyathink?
    sharon