Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
materwitch

IE & IH October Swap:Haunted Halloween Pumpkin Party

sunnyk
14 years ago

Hey All,

It's that time again...that's right...Halloween time and Pumpkin time are just around the corner. So that means it is time for Becky and I to host a combined Incredible Edible, Incredible Heirloom extravaganza!!

This swap will be an Incredible Heirloom Pumpkin Party where you could send all kinds of heirloom pumpkin and squash seeds...The sky is the limit :)

Along with an Incredible Edible Haunted Halloween with a Black and Orange theme, with either the veggie/fruit itself being the color, or the color being in the name. Things like Pumpkins and Carrots and Cantaloupe, Earl of Edgecombe Tomatoes, etc. in the orange category .....and then Eggplant , Black Krim tomatoes , Blacktail Mountain Watermelon, as examples of Black.

Let your imagination be your guide to spooky seeds and spectacular sweet squash.

Sign-ups will be until the 30th of the month. Then we will post partners on the 1st of October.

Please have your packages ready to fly by the 16th of October.

Since the swap is both IH & IE together, you need only send one Bubble Envelope or Package to your partner with all your pumpkin, squash and orange and black goodies inside.

This is going to be spooktacular!! :)

Donna & Becky

Comments (47)

• booberry85
    14 years ago

I've been sooooooo looking forward to this swap! Halloween was a big deal in my family. My Dad used to decorate our front yard when we were little. This was 30+ years ago! Dad was ahead of his time!

Anyone & everyone is welcome to join! The swap is for edibles. Although since it's for Halloween I think we can sneak in a few gourds & ornamental pumpkins :)

Please send your partner at least 6 packets of new seeds or the equivalent if saved seeds or partial packets.

All seeds should be from 2008 or 2009.

Please also send you partner a few items to get them celebrate Halloween.

Most of all, have fun with it!

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Just to get you in the right mood for the swap!

• booberry85
    14 years ago

HHmmmm...maybe you need more incentive. Can you imagine yourself growing these?

Or some of these?

• booberry85
    14 years ago

I don't know Donna, maybe I scared everyone away!
    :)
    Autumn is definitely in the air here. The apple orchards are all open. There are road side stands of pumpkins & squashes and the treeas are starting to change color. I am in the process of making LOTS of grape jam!

Come on all you lurkers! This is a chance to be your spooky self!

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Because I've been in the Halloween spirit, here's a little something for your viewing pleasure!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bugs Bunny in Transylvania 6-5000

• barefootgardner12
    14 years ago

OK I will jump in!

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Welcome to the party barefootgardener12!

I just had to scavenge what was left in the garden. We have a frost warning for tonight. In my *spare* time I have been making grape jam, grape lime jam and spiced grape jam! I'm out of sugar with another batch to go! Next it'll be confetti hot pepper jelly, but not today!

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome to the Haunted Halloween Pumpkin Party barefootgardener12! I love this time of year ....well I love a bit about all parts of the gardening year(and if you count drooling over seed catalogs then that would be all 12 months LOL), but Halloween and the Autumn harvest time specially :)

Becky....did you grow all those grapes yourself?? And you reminded me I need to make some Hot Pepper Jelly myself....I am going to try using my 'No Sugar Needed' Certo and use Splenda so my hubby can enjoy it again.
    Have you ever tried making it using Habaneros or some other type of hot pepper other than Jalapenos....I have only made it once and I am worrying about experimenting LOL!

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Donna, I wish I could take credit for the grapes. They are Concords that grow wild in my backyard.

I usually make Habanero Gold Jelly but I don't have any ripe Habs! So I was going to use a mix of other hot peppers that are ripe. I've also made another one just called Hot Pepper Jelly. I've never used Habs in that one. I love the mix of sweet & spicy. Both jellies work well as a glazes for pork or chicken. I also like putting them over cream cheese as an appetizer with crackers.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Becky you are so lucky to have those growing wild! I bought some jalapeno/bell pepper jelly last week at a craft fair and I fell in LOVEEEEEEE with it!! I've since added the recipe to my MUST MAKE list and will hopefully be able to make it next year! The lady that sold it also sold an apple/habanero and a raspberry/habanero jelly that was DELICIOUS as well! Just barely a kick to it. mm mmmmmm!

I'm still lurking.. but leaning... lol

Hugs everyone!
    ~Wendy / sassyb...

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Glad to have you around & lurking, Wendy. We've missed you being around.

Whew! We had my mother-in-law over for dinner and I was a nervous wreck before hand. The very first time I had her over for dinner at our house, she told me I looked tired and that my house wasn't clean enough (hers is impeccably neat but she has a house keeper and doesn't work.) It's always made me nervous to have her over because of that first time. Anyway, dinner went well!

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Wendy :)
    Hope you lean way over and fall right into our Halloween Swap :-)! You can't go wrong with Black and Orange....and Squash and Pumpkins are pretty nifty too !

Becky...I don't envy you having your MIL over, but I am glad it went well....I do think that wild grapes in your yard are pretty darn cool tho.

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So far for this awesome Halloween Pumpkin Party Swap we have;
    Sunnyk/Donna
    BooBerry85/Becky
    barefootgardner12

and a lurking/leaning
    sassybutterfly_2008 /Wendy

There is still plenty of time ya'll...so c'mon and sign up :)

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Here's a little more about Halloween. It's about the History of Halloween. Can you tell I'm excited about Halloween this year? LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Halloween History

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

OH OH OH can I play????

I've been so slammed with shows and am almost done for the season...so am wanting to join in the fun. LOL trading withdrawls!!!

Toni

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Toni...there is always more room at the Halloween Party! And don't you just love all the nifty Halloween decorations Becky keeps putting up...I just love it all!!

So our list is now:
    Sunnyk/Donna
    BooBerry85/Becky
    barefootgardner12
    dirtdiggin/Toni

and a still lurking/leaning

Oh ...and....Happy first full day of Autumn!!

• ejmoore510
    14 years ago

Hey all! Because of me and my hubby BOTH being unemployed for lengthy periods of time, I've been trying to only do the MNF swap monthly to save on $, postage and otherwise.
    However, Halloween & Fall is one of my very favorite times of the year. Since a lot of the MNF members don't celebrate Halloween, I'm just doing a "Jack O Lantern Jamboree" on it. I would really LOVE TO DO A HALLOWEEN based swap here if any of the participants are interested, but following the Edibles critera. If anyone is interested, just let me know. If not, don't feel bad.
    I'm always a good lurker. :)

Joan

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Joan, we'd love to have you join the swap! We thought a Halloween themed swap would be fun this time of year. How can you not celebrate Halloween! I was reading on line yesterday and next to KwaHanamas (Kwanza - Hanukkha - Christmas)it's the next biggest retail holiday (yeah, it beats out Easter & Mother's Day!)

So come on and join the fun! It might be what you need to boost your spirits. It's ok to have a little distraction from the job hunt. Job hunting can make you crazy and be consuming. This will give you a little something to be excited about. Make you feel like a kid again. Who knows - maybe some will throw some grape Laughy Taffy in your box which makes your tongue turn purple! LOL!

Anyway, don't forget to throw in a few orange, black, pumpkin, squash and or gourd seeds! LOL!

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Since I haven't posted anything Halloween-y today, I thought I'd pass this along. I was trying to find some fun, scary stencils for pumpkin carving yesterday. As I went to open up this one (name of site forgotten of course!), it infected my computer with a virus!!!! I immediately shut down my computer and then got the DH to root out the evil virus. He followed up by running a program called Spybot on my computer, which deemed my computer as been happy (can you tell I'm not technologically computer saavy?)So my computer was back up & running within an hour.

Anyway to make a short story long! Here's a good SAFE site to go for pumpkin carving & pumpkin carving patterns & some fun recipes & games.

Here is a link that might be useful: SpookMaster

• ejmoore510
    14 years ago

Oh, I'm not Tech savvy either. How did you know it was a virus?
    I'm really excited about this swap. I'm working on the seeds now and will add the ghoulish surprises as I go along!:) Did I tell you guys I managed to grow a couple of WHITE pumpkins from seeds in one of our swaps last winter? They're BOOTIFUL! (Sorry, couldn't resist the bad joke.ha) I had about 15 on 4 vines but the deer ate the others.

Joan

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow...15...man I can only get 1 pumpkin a vine if I am lucky....LOL....but I love them anyways!

Hey do the White pumpkins make a good pie....I just adore pumpkin pie...and pumpkin cake ...and pumpkin pancakes...and well it looks like I love pumpkin. No wonder October is my favorite month LOL!

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Joan, there was a screen that kept popping up and flashing that my computer had been infected. I could not close out of it. I shut off my computer, turned it back on again, tried to get back on the internet and that same screen kept popping up and flashing that my computer had been infected. I shut off the computer until my husband came back from lunch. Then he fixed it. I was lucky. I haven't found any damage to any of my files.

15 pumpkins is amazing! My pumpkins & winter squashes were a bust for the most part this year. I do have some volunteer pumpkins that are growing well. I'll probably only have 2-3 pumpkins I grow myself though.

I just got back from doing a little ghoulish shopping. Why is all the Christmas stuff out already??? And so much of it!!! I felt like I went through a time warp! Anyway, I did find a few fun things for our Haunted Halloween Pumpkin Party Swap!

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Becky...I had the same Christmas phenomenon happen to me over the weekend.
    I went to the Craft store 'Michael's' because back in the end of August when they started putting out Halloween stuff I felt it was a tad to early...plus I knew they would have better Halloween stuff at the end of September. Well I went there over the weekend to take a look... and BAM ...they are already moving out the Halloween stuff and putting the Christmas stuff in its place :( Can I at least get into October before I have to worry about December....and what next Valentines stuff out at Thanksgiving?!? LOL

• booberry85
    14 years ago

LOL! Michael's is one of the places I went to today. Yes, they had more Christmas stuff out than Halloween & Thanksgiving combined.

• booberry85
    14 years ago

It was a busy day yesterday and the next couple of days will be no different. I seem to have fallen behind on ghoulish endeavers! Anyway, here's website dedicated to the Salem witch trials which happened in Salem, Massachussetts in 1692. To bring it back to gardening, some people believe the girls & the towns people were hallucinating, having convulsions & prone to suggestion because ergot fungus grew on the grain. Unknowingly, they stored the grain and were using for cooking. The grain made them sick (Ergot poisoning).

Here is a link that might be useful: Salem Witch Trials

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Tired of hearing about Halloween? No? Good! I asked the DH what his favorite part of Halloween was when he was a kid. He said it was comparing who got what for candy at the end of Trick or Treating. I said me too! Here's a little history on Trick or Treating. Don't forget to read the side bar on the right for some fun facts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trick or Treating

• georgia_teacher
    14 years ago

I'm just jealous that you guys have fall already. It's been in the low 90's here for the last few weeks. :O We pretty much have hot and hotter. LOL

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My favorite part of Halloween was being out wandering around in the dark....of course going thru all of my loot afterwards was pretty cool too.

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I forgot to update our ever expanding group :) Guess all the pumpkin-y good ghoulishness is going to my head!!

Soooo....
    Our list is now:
    Sunnyk/Donna
    BooBerry85/Becky
    barefootgardner12
    dirtdiggin/Toni
    ejmoore510/Joan

and a still lurking and hopefully going to lean into our swap:

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Just a few more days to sign up for our Haunted Halloween Pumpkin Party. Do I need Thing to give you a hand in signing up?

Or maybe the cat has your tongue?

So come on and sign up! Don't miss the fun!

• booberry85
    14 years ago

My new furniture the DH & I ordered is in WhooHoo! I'm excited. We still have the furniture we slammed together when we were both single. This is the first furniture we've bought as a married couple. How long have we've been married? 13 years! A little embarrassing about the furniture isn't it!

Anyway, since I'll be scrambling once I'm home from work to make room for the furniture, I'd thought I'd post a little something to get you in the Halloween spirit now. Be sure to check out the links too. Have fun checking out this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holiday Insight: Halloween

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Well, we're soon to start our Haunted Halloween Pumpkin Party. So all you lurkers sign up quick! I thought it might be a good idea to find a link that dealt with having a pumpkin party. There are a number of sites that give good advice. I like this one the best for good basic info!

Here is a link that might be useful: How to host a pumpkin carving party

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Last night the DH & I came up with a list of scariest movies. Some people come up with a list of 5 or 10 or maybe 25. ME? I have 18 with a few honorable mentions.

So here they are:

1. The 9th Gate
    2. Twilight Zone (the movie)
    3. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    4. An American Werewolf in London
    5. The Fly
    6. The Butterfly Effect
    7. Skeleton Key
    8. The Omen
    9. Alien
      9. Jaws
      8. Carrie
      7. Angel Heart
      6. The Sixth Sense
      5. Psycho
      4. Silence of the Lambs
      3. Poltergeist
      2. The Shining
      1. The Exorcist

Honorable mentions go to:
    A. Halloween (tis the season after all!)
    B. Nightmare on Elm Street
    C. The Blob
    D. The Amityville Horror

So what are your top scariest movies?

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Haunting
    Salem's Lot
    Pet Semetary
    Thirteen Ghosts
    Ghost Story
    House on Haunted Hill
    Interview with a Vampire
    Nosferatu
    Pumpkinhead
    The Howling
    The Last House on the Left
    The People Under the Stairs
    Rosemary's Baby
    The Lost Boys(not too scary but still fun)

The list could go on forever(if I didn't have to cook dinner) ....also I am not good at remembering titles(and you took a bunch of my favorites LOL)

• booberry85
    14 years ago

I like your list Donna. Some of those I haven't seen. I'm such a goof. I can watch the scariest things during the day. However, once its dusk, I turn into a total whimp! Nothing scary after dark!! LOL!

We have decided to EXTEND THE SIGN UP DEADLINE TO FRIDAY OCTOBER 2!!! We'll post partners on Saturday.

Come on and join our ghoulishly good time!

• booberry85
    14 years ago

What do I find really scary? Health Insurance companies! Seems like I was on a rant about them a while back ago too. Yes, today I got a letter deeming my weekend stay in the hospital a few months ago as "unessential." I spent 2 nights (it was over the weekend)in the hospital with a blood clot until the hospital could get hold of my doctor. I'm seriously thinking about canceling my insurance if they're not going to pay the one time I need them. DH & I pay for our own health insurance. *explicative***explicative***explicative* Anyway the hospital & the insurance company are still duking it out. Thanks for listening to my rant!

To put me in a better mood & to celebrate the full moon coming (October 4th), I thought we could use some moon folklore!

Here is a link that might be useful: Moon folklore

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

You gals are having just way too much fun lol!!!

Well I guess sometimes we need to let our hair down and just kick it lol!

I hear ya on the health insurance companies. If they have any excuse to get out from under it, they will! We are fortunate with DH's insurance, but we've been messed over too. Long story, but they lowered our dental without letting us know, yet still charged us for the same rates. We ended up with a dentist that can't speak english and refused to give DH pain meds with an absessed tooth. Like he's drug seaking....once in 6 years he needs pain meds. The last time was with a broken fibula and surgery. Guess he was seaking drugs then too. SHEESH!

So, because we didn't catch it, we have to wait til aniversery date to change back to our regular plan. We do get reimbursed for the overcharge, but what the heck is that? They screw up and we pay??????????? WOW!!!

With the current economy, even the police are messing around with funds. DH was issued a ticket via mail. A video clip was taken of him running a red light. HUH???? Checked out the vid clip online and he stopped - recording light flashed before he even got to the intersection...then he took his free right turn WITH SIGNAL ON. Then the car behind him ran it! Granted his stop was a short stop, but he absolutely stopped. Now should we fight or pay the $124 bogus charge? To fight takes $180 of his pay, so they get you coming and going. Done with my rant lol...

Toni

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Toni, I'm so sorry to hear it. Glad I didn't take the pain meds in the hospital. The insurance company would have me pegged as a drug addict. Funny thing though. They offered me Vicodin in the hospital and all I could think of was, "Isn't that what House is addicted too?"

It might be worth it to fight the ticket just so you don't get points on your license. Then your auto insurance will go up!! Yeah, they got you coming & going!

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Halloweenie! ROFL!

No,it's not my dog. I did see Halloween costumes for dogs in Walmart. How silly!

• bonechickchris
    14 years ago

Are you guys odd or even now with partners? If you are still odd, Maybe I will join to help out the pairing!
    Christy

• booberry85
    14 years ago

We're always odd.....Oh...I mean, yes, we still have an odd number of people participating. Come on Christy! Just think of how much fun little Donnie will have with all the pumpkins next year and all the fun you'll have this year with Halloween!

• sunnyk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

And just think of all of the orange and black veggies you will get to enjoy next summer....black food ....yuummmmmmm.ROTFLMBO!!

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Holy Mole! I just stumbled on an amazing site! If you think I've gone overboard with Halloween just take a look here! The link is actually to Halloween jokes because I was feeling a little silly, but take a look around the site!

Here is a link that might be useful: Halloween.com

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Ok all you ghosts and ghouls, goblins and gargoyles! Only a little time left to sign up for a hauntingly good time!

• bonechickchris
    14 years ago

if I was unclear, I want to join!
    Christy

• booberry85
    14 years ago

We got you down as participating Christy. I'm teaching a class right now but Donna & I will be posting partners later.

• jayarr101
    13 years ago

Creating a Halloween party theme is not that difficult, and one should never get too worried about overdoing it since achieving the right atmosphere is of great importance if you are planning a party that shall be an event to remember.
    One of the key factors to a memorable party is giving it a cheerful feeling through an attractive theme. Not only will it create a fun and enjoyable party atmosphere, it can also spark the "party energy" right from the beginning with cool party supplies , making your party to be one that shall be talked about among guests for days after.

Here is a link that might be useful: party theme