Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patrob46

new: sign up for what's left on my want list (wlomwl)swap

patrob
9 years ago

I'm patrob (Patricia) and this will be the third year I have hosted the What's Left on My Want List (WLOMWL) Swap. We had great participation last year, and I hope this year's swap is just as successful. New traders are always welcome to join too!

There are just a few changes to the rules and procedures. If there is anything you would like clarified, just post on this thread or e-mail me at pat46rob@gmail.com

Important Dates

Post and update your seeds wanted list on your GW member page through Nov. 9.
Mail seeds to me no later than Dec. 15, 2014.
I will mail back to you no later than Jan. 13, 2015.

Send Me Your Info:
As soon as you sign up, send to pat46rob@gmail.com
your GW name,
real name,
and mailing address

You may also include your preferences about duplicates and substitutions and types of seeds you do or do not want.

Your Want List:
Post your want list on your member page with the date you updated it at the top.

You may add to or take from your list until Nov. 9. After Nov. 9 no changes are allowed.

Each time you update your list, post to the thread so those who have already looked at your list will know to look again, and I know to update the Composite List. It might be helpful to put newly added requests at the top of your list.

If your list is not current now, you might put "Not Updated" at the top until you are ready for others to start selecting seeds for you.

Composite Want List:
I create a Composite Want List on Google Docs to make searching all the lists at once possible. When your list is ready to be added, post here or e-mail me so I will know to add it. Any time you update your list, do the same, and I will update the Composite List as well. It is quick and easy for me to update, so it is no bother.

The link to the Composite Want List is at the bottom of this post.

Eligible Seeds:

SEND ONLY SEEDS THAT ARE ON SOMEONE"S WANT LIST!!!!!!!!

I look at each and every packet as I check them off want lists.
Seeds that are not on want lists will be returned to you unless you have indicated they are extras for sharing.

We did much better last year, but there are still some who are not paying attention to this rule! If you are uncertain about what it means, ask me!

Read want lists carefully. If a person lists specific varieties of a plant, that is what they want. If they are open to other varieties, they will say so by adding something "or others," "any named varieties," " or any."

If you are searching the want lists and see "Marigold," look to see if it's a heading and specific varieties are listed before assuming that any marigold will do.

For plants that are readily available in named varieties, limit the number of packets of generic (unnamed or unknown variety) seeds you send for any one person to about 5 maximum.. If everyone sends just 5 packets of generic seeds to the same person, that will add up to about 200, way more than enough,

Try to send seeds for as many different people as you can. However, there is no limit on the number of packets of named varieties that you send for one person.

If you have some seeds that no one has requested but you think others would like to have, you may include them in your package marked as "extras." Don't include them in your count.

As far as possible, I will send back to you the same sort of seeds that you send in: mostly named in = mostly named out; mostly generic in = mostly generic out; mostly veggies in = mostly veggies out. Note: I said as far as possible.

Send viable seeds not more than two or three years old in most cases.
This is NOT the swap to rehome really old seeds. If packets are so old that writing is worn off or the paper is wearing out, that's a hint the seeds are probably too old to be viable.

Bottom line: Send only seeds you would be pleased to receive!

Please do not send anything other than seeds -- no cuttings, bulbs, etc.

Seed Packets:

Enclose the following information with your seeds:
Total number of packets
Number of flower seed packets
Number of vegetable/fruit seed packets

Mark each packet you send in clearly and legibly with
the name of the plant, including the scientific name if you can,
year the seed was harvested or packaged for,
recipient's number,
your name or number.

If you don't put your own number on your seed packets, I will have no way to prevent giving you back your own seed.

If the seeds fulfill a wish, such as "butterfly attractor" or "your favorite perennial" or "anything red," please mark this on the packet so l know for sure it was requested.

Group seeds for each participant in baggies. Please don't make them hard to separate.

Be as generous as you can in the number of seeds per packet. Normally 15-20 seeds is about right with more for tiny seeds and perhaps fewer for very large seeds.
Last year I combined many of the very tiny packets into one. A dozen lettuce seeds is too few; a dozen squash seeds is fine.

If you send lots of seed packets with just a few seeds each, I'll count them as partial packets, not wholes. If you have only enough seeds for one packet, send one packet.
Exception: If you have just a bit of something very special, most of us would rather receive a small amount than none.

If you send multiple packets of the very same seed for one person, they will count as only one packet.
(When someone says duplicates are okay, it means duplicates that just happen to come in from different people.)

Be sure your packets are well sealed. Loose seeds are wasted.

Seeds You Will Receive:
You may send in any number of packets and will receive the same number or more in return unless you tell me not to send back that many. Extra packets will be divided among all participants.

How many of your wishes are actually filled depends on what is sent in for you by others. Sometimes way more packets are sent in for a person than he sent in himself. Those packets above the number he sent in will go to others.

DO NOT make side trades as I can not guarantee that any one packet will end up in someone's package.

If fewer packets are sent in for you than you sent to me, you will receive duplicates, when possible, or substitutions. If you have a preference, let me know when you e-mail your info, and I'lll do my best.

It's difficult to find enough different seeds to return to some who send in extremely large numbers of packets. Hopefully if you receive unwanted seeds, you will be able to pass them on or use them in other swaps.

Return Shipping:

Please send cash or check for the correct amount of priority postage according to the chart below. Do not send stamps for priority mail as I am printing the labels at home to get the discount and I pay online..

$5.25 -- The small priority box will hold 100 seed packets, perhaps a few more.
$5.70 -- The padded priority envelope will hold even very larger trades.

I much prefer to return seeds to you in either a small priority box or a priority padded envelope. It does not cost much more than regular mail, sometimes less, includes tracking and delivery confirmation, and saves me a tremendous amount of time. It is quick for me to print the label and attach it to the new free priority box or envelope. There's no trying to salvage old mailers and no waiting in line at the post office. Plus I can add heavier seeds to your package without going over the amount of postage you sent.

If you just don't want to use priority mail and don't want tracking and delivery confirmation, you may send a self-addressed label and the same number of stamps it took to mail your package to me. I'll reuse your bubble envelope and send it back to you by regular mail.

Suggestions for New Traders:

Be sure to post on this thread or e-mail me when your want list on your member page is ready for others to use while selecting seeds for you.

The sooner I add your list to the Composite List the better as some will start filling seed packets right away. Remember the old adage about the early bird and the worm!

You may keep working on your list until Nov. 9, even after I add it to the Composite List. Just post here or e-mail me whenever you make changes, and I'll update the Composite List each time. It's quick and easy to do as long as I know to do it, so don't worry that you are a bother.

It might be helpful to post a list of seeds you have available to trade on your member page. Lots of people may add seeds they see on your list to their want list. What you consider ordinary may be just what someone else is hoping for. If you have seeds for plants native to your area, they may be perfect for trading.

This post was edited by patrob on Mon, Sep 29, 14 at 3:41

Comments (148)

• patrob
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've updated your list, Alana. Tweak all you want to through Nov. 9.

We still need lists from several people. The deadline to post a list is Nov. 9, but many are already filling seed packets and plan to mail soon after the 9th. Let me know when your list is ready enough to be added to add to the Composite List. You can still edit your list through Nov.9.

sorellina
    primrose1x3
    barefootgardner12
    rane_grow
    lovesblooms
    mjzzyzoff
    velsgarden
    Wandascollectibles

This post was edited by patrob on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 7:18

• molanic
    9 years ago

I'm joining later than I'd like this year. I haven't had much of a chance to work on my lists. I don't have a "seeds to trade" list made yet, but it will be mostly natives and host plants since that is my main focus now.

I've just made a few additions and subtractions to my want list from last year. I usually don't remove things from that list until I have some successfully overwintered plants of that species that are doing well. I've been collecting a LOT of seed... but have yet to do any cleaning, packaging, or inventory checking. November will be a busy month!

So my want list is good to go for now I guess.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/molanic

• kchd
    9 years ago

Yay, molanic! I am so happy to see you join again this year!!

I know it's not a requirement, but I still need to do some updating to my "have" list. I'm slow this year, too.

Katie

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

I updated again today! Sorry! But promise it's the last time!! Melinda

• browneyedsusan_gw
    9 years ago

Please sign me up. This swap looks like it will be fun! I have many seeds that are on the want lists of participants. I will update my want list soon.

Susan

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Patrob, you can add my list. I'd like to do more tweaking to it, but I wanted you to know I am present and paying attention!

Promise :)

• patrob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tweaking lists or completely revising them is perfectly okay until the end of the day, Nov. 9, midnight Central time. It's quick and easy for me to update the Composite List, and part of the fun is coming across new plants to wish for. LOL I'm still tweaking my own list. and probably will right up to the deadline.

• kalzbeta
    9 years ago

I would love to join this swap. It will be my first gardenweb swap. I had a fantastic year gardening here in Iowa, and I think this swap sounds like a fun, inexpensive way to add diversity to my garden for next year!!!

Kate

• patrob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I believe all updates are done up to here. Please let me now if I missed anyone. Good to have you new participants as well as our regulars!

• twopinenuts
    9 years ago

My list is now updated. thanks!

• leila hamaya
    9 years ago

i have added a few things to my want list.

already started packing up, its slow! but getting it together. so far have over a hundred wishes matched =)

i like how i feel a little win when i find a match =) i know the reciever probably really wins, but still it makes me happy and feels like a little win =)

• kchd
    9 years ago

I've updated my list. No doubt I will do so again before the deadline. ;)

Katie

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

Oh well. I was working on my list for Secret Santa and that inspired me to add a few more to my WLOMWL list.
    Thank you Patricia, for being so amenable to changes.

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Is there a max amount of packs that we can send in? I just re-read the rules above and didn't notice anything, but I do want to clarify before I start filling requests.

• leila hamaya
    9 years ago

well obviously i cant give you the definitive answer erica, but as i understand it there is no limit to how many you can send.
    i believe in the OP it says theres no limit to the amount to send in for one person, but no doubles of the same kind. so if you send two packs of the same it counts as one, but otherwise no limit.

the thing i hit is that some people are really easy to find wishes, while others are more difficult. i figure if someone has a very specific list of hard to find stuff they kinda know they are limiting somewhat what they will get back...where if someone wants a lot of extra common stuff they are bound to get more.

but its tricky cause i dont want to send in too many for one person and none for another, but i really cant help that to some extent. usually if i send a lot for one person there will be more common things, "less valuable" (?) ish, and i try to get at least an extra special rare one in each, but will try to save the most unusual stuff for anyone i only have a couple for. theres already a couple of people i dont have anything for them =( but i cant help it cause their list is not the sort of stuff i have....

anywho i will just do my best to try to spread it out good, but i figure it all gets sorted out once patrob has it all and works it out for us =)

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Well, darn! I couldn't help it , had to update again! But updated my have and wish at same time.
    Yes, it is hard when some people want more rare things. I rarely have something for everyone. I just go through and do the best I can for what someone wants. Some get more than others, but hopefully someone else will have what I don't and can give it to them. Part of the swap!
    I hope everyone is having a great evening! Melinda

• stefaniechamo_gw
    9 years ago

Ive updated my list :)

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Leila -- Thanks! Yeah, that's essentially what I got from the post too (no limit to the number of packs you send in for one person = no limit to the number of packs you send in, logically). I was just looking for confirmation. I started packing up seeds last night and continued today. I have found the same as you -- I have lots for some people and not many for others, but I figure in the end, it will sort itself out, as others will undoubtedly have many seeds for those that I don't and few for those that I do.

• patrob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There is no limit on how many packets you send in or how many you send for one person.

However, if you are sending generic seeds (seeds of unknown cultivar for common plants for which cultivars are readily available) you may send no more than 5 packets for any one person. Examples of seeds that fall into that category are marigolds, zinnias, snapdragons, sunflowers, gaillardia, lettuce, peas, beans, melons., etc. You may send one person all the named cultivars of those plants that you want to.

Many plants, natives, for example, are commonly sold without a cultivar, and they do not count as part of the five. Examples are
    bluebonnets (Lupinus texensis), purple milkweed (Asclepias purpurascens, American plum (Prunus americana), etc.

The idea is to limit the number of unnamed, usually unwanted common seeds that come in for a few people who have more generic wants. That person may send in a small number of packets, yet hundreds of generic seeds are sent in for her. That means a lot of unnamed, usually unwanted seeds will go to someone else. Most of us do not need or want another packet of orange marigolds or mixed zinnias. Those who do want seeds like that will still get plenty. If everyone sends the 5 permitted packets, that will be about 200 packets, more than enough.

This post was edited by patrob on Thu, Oct 30, 14 at 21:48

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Pat -- Thanks so much! I have very few unnamed seeds, so limiting it to 5 per person is definitely not a problem. I'm almost done packing for the lists already posted.

• velsgarden
    9 years ago

Hi Patricia,my list is updated,but sure I will be tweaking!!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

Patricia, I updated my list.

Thanks for hosting.

Lisa

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

Patricia, I updated my list.

Thanks for hosting.

Lisa

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I think this is the way swaps go. We have differences in:
    warmer zones, colder zones
    veggies and/or flowers
    named varieties or unusual, common.
    I have received seeds that made me do cartwheels. Other seeds I didn't think were too special until I planted them and fell in love with the blooms.
    It's all about the giving. I feel good when I give seeds to someone whom I know wants that kind of seed. It's like adopting out our baby seeds to a caring mother. Heidi

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    9 years ago

Patricia I have done some changing on my want list and am almost finished with my have list. Thanks

• leila hamaya
    9 years ago

@ velsgarden - hey sorry for dropping the ball last year on sending you roots of darmera peltata ! its been kind of a wacky year! i did think of it from time to time but got too scatterbrained. but i feel bad cause i dont like to not follow through like that.

anywho this year i got out just in time to harvest a lot of darmera peltata seeds =)
    so anyone who has this on their wish list is getting a fat pack of those. havent test germinated them, but should be good, got them nice and ripe but before they scatter, which is a really short window of time.

anywho just wanted to say -apologies for not following through on sending you roots early this year....but can send out some seeds this year. its really a very cool native plant.

then i missed the time for ceanothus seeds, we had crazy wildfires here this year so my wildcrafting was not happening.
    i really wanted to get some of those and thought of it a lot, its become one of my favorite natives. was so bummed when i finally got out after the wildfires and there was no seeds to be had cause they were already gone =( maybe next year i will get both the umbrella plant and the ceanothus in their time =)

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Pat -- I just updated my wishlist.

@ Anyone who was having a hard time filling my requests, I've added a few general categories, that should make it easier:
    1. Your most bizarre - Anything that really stands out due to unique characteristics.
    2. Your most tasty - Any edible you grow season after season, because it's just that good.
    3. Unusual Solanacea.
    4. I'll take mine rare - Anything you grow that is considered rare.
    5. Respect your elders - Your favorite heirloom.
    6. There's a pharmacy in my garden - Rare medicinal herbs.

• molanic
    9 years ago

I just got my have list updated a bit... just a few additions and subtractions this year. Will probably be perusing some have lists and a few websites this weekend to make some last minute additions to my want list. Might even have some time this afternoon since I don't think there will be many trick or treaters when there is a high wind advisory with a wind chill of 27!

• leila hamaya
    9 years ago

@ erica, coolio =)
    i like it. i will try to come up with a few of those for you =)

• kchd
    9 years ago

Erica, good idea!! I will try to do the same this evening, and update my HAVE list.

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

I updated again! Thanks!

• catanache
    9 years ago

Updated.

Added a few things, subtracted a few things. Added a note that I'm interested in less common/unusual beans, peas and winter squash, especially pole beans and soup peas. That was probably obvious from my list but I decided not to limit it to the ones I've heard about. Also added a short list of flowers. Thanks!

• leila hamaya
    9 years ago

also updated again. couldnt help it, ilovefarcs wild goose plum made me do it !

i need more lists! well i will try to be patient. but after working on this in spurts over the last few days i have pretty much gotten everything together for the lists posted. probably just need to let it rest for a while till the rest of the lists are posted.

• patrob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Erica, please check your trade lists on your GW member page. I think you added the categories to your have list. Once you make sure everything you want in your seeds wanted list is there, post to let me know to do the update.

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Pat -- Yep. I'm a noob. Thank you for the catch! It should be all set now.

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

Last additions. For real this time. :)

• stefaniechamo_gw
    9 years ago

I have updated my list
    Thanks to the other swaps my list has been getting shorter, yay!

• patrob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I believe I have done all the updates requested to this point. If you have asked for an update, please check to make sure I did not overlook yours.

LOL Stephanie, want lists normally get longer not shorter!

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Pat

Did another update on a couple things, however I plan to update mine once again here in next couple days.

thank you!

• kchd
    9 years ago

Ok, I have updated my lists (haves and wants). :)

Katie

• primrose1x3
    9 years ago

Hello, I finally posted my wish list.

Pat, could you purty please email me another updated composite list in text?

Thank you more than I can say for giving us an early start this year.

• patrob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Will do, Karen. If anyone else would like a plain text version of the Composite List e-mailed to him/her, just let me know. If your computer can handle it, you may also download a copy of the Composite List in a variety of formats, including plain text.

I was hoping the early start and longer period to sign up and post/revise a list would take stress out of something that is supposed to be fun.

There's still a week left to sign up and post or make changes to "seeds wanted" lists!

• gmom2-6boys
    9 years ago

Please sign me up. I don't have a lot of seed this year but will do the best I can.
    My list is all updated as of late Oct.
    gmom

• patrob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm glad you are joining us again this year! I'll add your list to the Composite List right now.

• cghpnd
    9 years ago

I added a few things to my list. Thanks!

• patrob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Updates done to this point.

There are still a few days to post and/or revise your list. I'm not trying to rush you, but time has a way of getting away from us.

If any of the following have lists that are ready for me to add to the Composite List, please post to this thread or e-mail me:

mjzzyzoff
    wandascollectibles
    rane_grow
    lovesblooms
    sorellina

• patrob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This thread is nearing the maximum number of posts.
    I'll be away from the computer most of tomorrow, so I am going to start a new thread now. Please follow the link below and post on the new thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's Left on My Want List (wlomwl) Seed Swap: 2

• wandascollectibles
    9 years ago

I updated my list. Also, anyone else wanting Italian Honey Fig cuttings, please send me an email with your address. We got down to 42* last night so winter is really coming.

• bluee19
    9 years ago

Good Morning Everyone!!

Pat ~ my wishlist is updated

• patrob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Please post on the new thread:

Here is a link that might be useful: New Thread