Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nova_gw

NEW: Coleus cutting Swap

nova_gw
17 years ago

I hope this is the right place to post this but here goes. I relize this is the time of year that alot of people start cutting back their coleus for the winter so what better time to trade some of your extras for something you may not have. I am proposing not a round robin in the strictest sense but a place to post what you have and to make offers for what someone else has. You can list by name or by picture of leaves leaves like this -

{{gwi:1301431}}

To enter you need to have your e mail unblocked as it will be up to individual traders to contact each other and set up their own trades. Please remember that coleus of the same name will be diffrent due to light, and variations due to photography. If anyone needs help with shipping instructions please ask and I will get with you.

Of the ones I have pictured above I have names on the following -

3-Strawberry Drop

4-India Frills

5-Inky Fingers

7-Black Night

8-Trailing Dark Heart

Hope everyone has fun and remember, it is up to each trader to set up their own trades. nova

Comments (16)

• Michelle Reynolds
    17 years ago

hello
    I would like to post my list, but I don't have a way to put up a photo.
    I will describe them as well as I can.
    1. rust red with tiny green trim, slightly serated leaf.
    2. "solar" very dark red, like velvet.
    3. stained glass "kiwi furn" lacy furn like leaf
    4. green ruffled leaf with red vaining
    5. tiny leafs red with green trim
    6. 'black cherry' arrow shaped leafs, green w/black vanes
    7. 'tilt a whirl'dark red with trim hard to Dscribe
    round leafs spiral around stem
    8. scalop edged dark red leaf green trim
    9. rounded leafs scaloped edge, red with green spots

looking for anything not listed here.
    thanks michelle

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

i would be interested in this one.

here are the ones i have, i'll try to ID them, but i grew them all from a mix of seeds.

here's a much better pic of the first one
    {{gwi:1301432}}

the second one is quite deep purple. batteries died, i'll take a pic of it later and post again.

maryanne

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Welcome aboard Michelle and Maryanne! Do you see anything I have that you would be interested in? E mail me as you both have some I would love to have! Thanks for joining! nova aka Susan
    pscnova2@wmconnect.com

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

anybody interested in begonias for a couple coleus?? Maryanne you are nearby and they would be shipped quickly

{{gwi:428046}}

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

beth, i would be happy to swap with you. i would like to build up my house plants, so having the begonias would be a good thing.

susan, let me know what interests you. i'm more than happy to divide what i have and we can all share. i've been lazy though, haven't looked up the names...busy with the grandbaby tonight and when she's around, that's all i want to focus on....can't get enough of her - love her to pieces.

here's the purple one
    a href="http://photobucket.com"; target="_blank">{{gwi:1301433}}

here's the white/green one - looking shabby, because i pulled it out of where it was and transplanted it yesterday.
    {{gwi:1301434}}

i know there are a few more out there....but they are in a place that is just a mess and i can't quite get to yet.

ARE WE rooting these to send to each other or sending entire plants?

be well all, happy blooms
    maryanne

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Susan I'd like to trade with you too. I like#3 and .... 5 &/or 8.
    I have names for some of my begonias but not all. Do you prefer the canes or do you want to try some of the rhizome types? They are trickier to start but you can get several new plants from one leaf. I'm experimenting with that now.
    Anybody else have coleus???? The yellow or chartruse ones???
    Love those velvety ones form Mellen too.
    Mickeyrey are you able to send pictures direct? i did that for a long time before my friend finally showed me how to post photos on here. If you can send me a photo... I'll post it for you.

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Welcome everyone! This is starting to look like fun!

maryanne-Since coleus are sooo easy to root, I thought it would be easiest just to send cuttings. You can, however, work out trades as you see fit. I will be sending cuttings myself since I have them coming out my ears right now! nova

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

I would love to join in the swap. I'll post a few pics of what I have. ALL are named. The names I can remember are-"Kong" "Mosaic Kong" and for the rest I'll check the tags tomorrow and let you know. Cutting would work the best for me. Rooting would almost be impossible. October gets really chilly sometimes (and I'm not sure how cuttings would hold up). So, I would like to trade in September. The babies in the black tub (by the violet) was from a seed robin, those are the only ones that I don't know the name. I could send those rooted.

Deb

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

deb, they are beautiful.

so, how are we working this one? are we sending a piece of everyting to everyone? plmk

maryanne

• nova_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello everyone! Sorry to be MIA for the last couple of days but work got crazy and I have been too tried to play on the computer!

maryanne - It is up to the individual trader to set up their own trades. If someone has something you want contact them and work out a trade with them thru e mail. BTW I sent you an e mail myself did you get it?

beth b kodiak - I sent you an e mail too! Did you get it?

Deb - I am sending you an e mail!

I am doing a mailing on Monday so if anyone is interested in any of the cuttings I am offering, please contact me so I can include you on my list!

nova, coleus lover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

HI Nova, got your mail but I've been swamped too. I can't mail before next Th or Fri and considering the PO system maybe I should mail on Sat. Saturday packages often arrive Mon or Tues.
    My begonias are now rooting though if I make too many trades... I may need to root more or mail unrooted cuttings. The canes root pretty easily. Almost as easy as coleus and impatiens. So If you have been doing OK with them it will work.
    Michelle, are you still in on this?? I sent you an email but have not heard back. I'll check my junk mail bin , but maybe like the rest of us you are just extra busy.
    With Michelle... it would be 4 and I can send to that many OK.
    BB

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Coleus fans might enjoy this site
    www.coleusfinders.org
    It has photos of over 1100 different coleus and gives names of where to buy them. Who would have ever guessed there were so many?

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

If anyone is interested in trading with me, let me know.
    I have plenty of cuttings. And need to send them out soon. Our weather is dipping down in the 40's next week, so my trading time is limited.

Nova, I did email you back...did you receive it?

Deb

• chassidysmommy
    17 years ago

I've got quite a few Coleus out in my garden that will simply die over the winter. I'd love to trade cuttings! The link below has a lot of pictures of my coleus, however they are all a bit dark. My battery was too low for the flash to work.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: Coleus pictures

• chassidysmommy
    17 years ago

Deb, I would absolutely LOVE some of your cuttings. I'd love to do unrooted cuttings if that is okay with you. I absolutely love the last one on your list but would love any (or all) of yours. Let me know!

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: more plants for cuttings

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Two boxes went out today- Beth's #0306 0320 0005 0614 2121.
    Also Michelle's #0306 0320 0005 0614 2114. I hope you both enjoy your Coleus cuttings!

Deb