UPDATE: Birthday Bash 2009 Open Discussion round 3

ncgardengirl
15 years ago

Let the decisions continue:

Comments (110)

• nikkineel
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi all! I agree with you Fran. It's been quiet on here lately. It's been raining here also. I planted a couple of roses yesterday so I guess the timing is good. I'm curious, what kind of seeds are you starting this time of year? I'd love to get some seeds going. Everyone have a great weekend. Deb, I'm already getting your box going:) Nikki

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Things have been HECTIC (big capital H!!) around here lately.
    We had our first frost yesterday! Brrr! Hubby still hasn't gotten the fireplace ready, so we're walking around in 5 layers of clothing. :O) It should be done by next weekend, though. Just in time for that warm up! LOL To all of 70 degrees!

We've been trying to figure out how to dry gourds. Does anyone have any tips on that? We've got some monster sized ones that Aubeni grew this summer. I think they're too big for bird houses. Maybe a few of them are the right size, though. One is bigger than our pumpkins, though...Yikes. Bird mansion, maybe?? :O)

And that's all I can write right now. LOL Gotta go get the kiddos ready to go out on the lake in Daddy's new canoe. (not new-new, but new to him. He traded his scooter for a canoe. I feel MUCH better now. Now, he'll just risk drowning, instead of being made into roadkill pancakes.) :O)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

I'm getting so excited about November! I really need some things to look forward to! It's been really stressful around here lately. My Mom found a breast lump on her birthday. She went to her Dr. and the Dr. said it was fibroids. But, said a mammo and ultrasound would be needed to confirm that. Mom went (this thursday) and the radiologist said it looked like cancer, for her to say LOTS of prayers! Well, Mom so worried now, and so am I. A biopsy is scheduled for tuesday. Please say a prayer for Mom (and me) I could really use the strength. We lost Dad to colon cancer. Dad was only 55 when diagnosed and 57 when he died.

November and happier times can not come soon enough!
    It's so difficult when your Parent's are sick or something's wrong.

Hugs,
    Deb

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Hi Bunny, be sure to post some pics of the big ole gourds! Fran, still waiting to hear about your seed sowing... Nik

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Deb, it will be alright. Just breathe until you get the results back. I went through the same thing a few years ago, my Dr. scared the shejeebes out of me. When I went for the mammogram the tech told me it is hard to tell what it could be BUT if I drank a lot of caffine then it is prolly just fibroids. I did drink LOADS of caffine at the time and thank goodness that IS what it was. I no longer drink caffine, or as little as possible because it causes them to be really bad if you have them already. Drinking a lot of caffine can cause them to basically swell, get tender, and even hurt.
    The radiologist should NOT have said ANYTHING to your mother in that manner. They are not Dr.s and they can NOT diagnose something just by looking at the films. SHAME ON THE RADIOLOGIST! They shouldn't have made a suggestion either way!
    I have a question, ask your mom if it feels like it moves around when she pushes near or around it. You can email me with the answer or post it here, which ever you feel more comfortable with. But DO ask her. I will tell you why when I get the right answer. I hope it is the one I am looking for.

NIKKI! MAN, I jumped the gun on my seeds!!! I did start some echinacea, rudbeckias, bee balm, and white baptisia, NOW I think they might just crock. Our weather had been SOOO nice and warm here I thought for sure they would get some growth on them before our weather went south. WELL THEY DIDN"T, it is going to be 39 here tonight geewhiz!
    I started Green Wizard with the hope of really getting some of them to make it. I wish I had thought about bringing them in tonight, but I didn't. If I could see outside I would now BUT it is too late and too dark. I covered them up, maybe will be ok and I can get them tomorrow!!! ERRRR!!!

I will hold off on starting anymore for a while. I have no where to put them now so I will have to wait until I can get my grow room back!

Bunny, we will be getting frost tonight and tomorrow night! ERRR!!! We still only have one heater here, I thought for sure we would have at least until November before we needed another one but guess not!

I had a little gourd that was growing really well, I was hoping I wouldn't lose it BUT since it is going to be this cold tonight, it will be a goner. I will pull it off the vine in the morning! Oh well, at least I got one good size one from it first.....

:) Fran

• wynative
    15 years ago

Deb,

Hang in there!

Hugs & Prayers for you both,
    Marie

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marie, Glad you popped in for a quick hello.

Man, it is going to be so cold here tonight and for the next few nights AND days too. Tonight is posed to be like 33/35ish. Dang it. I don't like the cold. The news said if you just put in new plants even shrubs make sure to cover them for tonight and the next few nights. I really don't like the cold at all! I wish I lived somewhere either warmer or tropical, either one would be good for me.

Oh well, guess I will stop whinning now, at least it isn't snow, right Vic?

• galium
    15 years ago

Deb-I posted on Oct. CPG for you. Ditto to Marie's Hang In There!

We had our first frost this morning. Burrr! I still have a lot of clean up and planting to do. I'm getting a box of lilies this week and need to prepare a bed for them. It's been very difficult to do anything the last several weeks. My hips are causing me a great deal of discomfort. Plus I'm not sleeping well. Today I feel a little better.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mariann LOVE that tag!
    Sorry you are not feeling well, hope you find some comfort soon. It sucks being in pain, and not being able to sleep is a pain in itself.

It is SOOO cold here ya'll. I can't believe it. I have on shoes with socks and all and my toes STILL feel like chunks of ice!
    I have some things in a propgation box which have been in there since Sept and they STILL haven't rooted, what is up with that? Some of them croaked!!! Oh well, some you can and some you can't huh?

Wow, it is ALMOST time for November!!! It is fast approaching isn't it. Gosh...

Ok, everyone needs to have there questionnaire complete as soon as possible. I will be needing those to send to your Secret Santa partner for the December swap! So if you haven't already please take a few mintues each day until the end of the month to finish them and turn them back in to me.
    THANKS BUNCHES YA'LL!!!

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone so much for all the well wishes for my Mom (and me). She's going tomorrow for the biopsy. I've been trying to keep her spirits up, and keep her as positive as possible (by not talking about it too much). I'll keep everyone posted when I know more.

I can't wait until November! ;) I'm so excited!
    It's been really chilly here too, close to frost, but not yet. I can see everything starting to go dormant. I have a lot of yard cleanup to do. Plus, plant a few last minute bulbs. It's raining today, and really dreary. More rain is expected later on in the week (4 days of it straight). So, I really won't be able to much outdoors. So, I'll replant some violets, houseplants. ;) I always have enough to keep me busy.

Hugs,
    Deb

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Deb, good luck to your mom tomorrow. I have been thinking about you and her both. We all will be worried I am sure until you get the results back. Please keep us posted as we will keep you both in our thoughts and prayers.

So far my little seedling babies have done well. I have been covering them up at night maybe they will make it through this cold snap just fine. I am hoping we have another micro warm up anyway. I truly hope this isn't how our winter is going to be. So depressing if so. I just can't handle cold, and if it stays cold like it has been I will just be so blue.

At least we have this swap to plan for though to keep us occupied right?

Well I am off to bed ya'll. Goodnight.

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Hi everyone, just wanted to pop in and say HELLO !

Deb, I will say some extra prayers for you and your mom, I hope you get some good news today !

Has anyone heard from Bunny ? havent seen her around lately..hope she is feeling ok...

I am working on my questionarre...honest...gosh, it is hard to answer some of them..LOL

Fran, if we arent getting ALL the questionarres sent to us..is there ANY way I could get everyones address ? Id LOVE to send Christmas cards out..

Ok, i need to get going..kids will be home from school any minute..and I still need to run outside and collect some more seeds.

Hope all is well with everyone !
    Kym

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

I'm here, Kym! I've just been really busy lately. I have time to pop in and check things out...but usually only have time to post on one thread (if that!).

Silly me...I decided that since there's only 5 weeks to go before baby, I wanted to get everything done that I possibly could. So, for the past 3 weeks, I've been running around to eye doctors, orthodontists, dentists...plus the regular homeschooling...and shopping for last minute baby items. UGH.
    Lemme tell ya....when you've got 5 kids, the DR appts ALONE take a week to do! I don't know what I was thinking...but WOW..am I worn out!

Everything is going OK on the baby front, I suppose. At last count, I'm dilated to 2cm (which is normal for me, I always start early) and the baby has dropped. So I can breathe better...but good golly, my back is hurting! LOL
    Anyway, I'll keep everyone updated, so that no one thinks I've dropped off the planet or anything. :O)

Hope everyone is having a good week!

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bunny, glad to hear you are A ok. Ready to drop too, oh girly your gonna be so busy with a new baby. Are you SURE you can handle this group your other groups, your household duties, five kids, and a BABY? I want to know what kind of vitamins you take girl I need some of those meself!!! OH yes, I remember it is your GOOD INTENTIONS..teehee.
    But seriously, I just hope you don't get overwhelmed.

Kym, glad you popped in for a quick hello. Good to know everything is ok with you as well.

Does anyone object to me sending out just our address to everyone for those of us who want to mail out Christmas cards?

I am thrilled and nervous about getting started next month. I hope everything goes smoothly and I DO everything right. I have been scoping out items in the stores everytime I go with this group in mind. I want to print out all the wuestionnaires and put them in a binder so I can take them with me when I go shopping. I can just imagine what other people in the stores will think about me shopping with a binder flipping through the pages ever so often....LOL.
    Oh well, you do what you have too...

Vic, honey, you still hanging in there? Your groups are almost finished now right? You will have more time to join us over here on this side?
    Not too much though when you start your join though will you? I am glad you found something even though it isn't exactly what you were hoping for.

Anywho, guess I am off to go do something else.

• diene
    15 years ago

Fran, take a deep breath and chant, " Everything is fine, this will be fun." I am starting to worry about you and I do not worry about anything!!
    This is going to be a full year of FUN. Say the mantra again...
    I am very excited about starting this,
    Hey Deb, how was Mom's appointment?
    Have a great night all.
    diene

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dang I need to proof-read more often that was supposed to say. Vic you will have more time, not much though when you start your JOB though will you NOT start your join...oh gracious me.

diene I am fine...I just have concerns...I started thinking the other day that I hadn't sent deb info to everyone then I remember someone thanksed me for it so yeah, I remember I had...

This is where VIC will come in, she will need to help me to remember to send the correct info to everyone who needs it the MONTH before that persons month...

I want to remind everyone again to please work on those questions so I can make aure your Secret Santa receives them by November.

OK, I am good...yes, I am...Everything is FINE, and this WILL BE FUN! hehe

OK...there...I took a deep breath...I have it all under control!

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Fran,
    "Everything is fine, this will be fun." LOL
    Yes, I'm still around! hehe, just been hiding!
    Things have been a little crazy around here! And somehow I managed to get into another swap (the themed garden seed swap), and a few side trades. I just haven't figured out when to stop! I was going to cut back on swaps and trades!

I will not be doing the job I mentioned earlier, after thinking about it and the hours and miles I would put in with no benefits I don't see that it's worth it. For those of you that don't know what I'm talking about, it was doing insurance physicals, I would go to the applicants home or office and do them, I would get paid per physical, but not for driving, paperwork, getting the labs ready and sent in and faxing, copy and mailing the paperwork, plus I would have to pay for my own insurance. (I have always carried the insurance, Jamie is self employed)
    I was going to take it for now till I found something, BUT, I just got a call today and I will be starting Monday for the largest orthopedic surgery group in the region! Much better benefits and I go to one place and stay there all day, no driving all over town! That was a tremendous relief and a huge load off my mind! So now I am ready to celebrate and I can't think of a better way than starting our Birthday Bash and sending Deb her box!

Deb, please do keep us updated, we are all concerned. How did things go with the biopsy? How are you two holding up? *sending extra strength and a hug!*

Melissa, slow down!! We don't want that little girl coming out too early! : )
    But yes, you keep us posted too, we want to know you are doing well.

Fran, one little reminder, make sure you send Deb's questionaire out to everyone this month! : )
    I don't see why anyone would worry about you sending out the addys, we will all get them anyhow.

Well, it's 3am here and I think I've gotten caught up on everything so I'm heading to bed. Now all the stuff I've been putting off till "tomorrow" needs to get done before I go back to work! LOL

Night
    Vicky

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Fran~ Don't worry about me! I got the swapping out of my system this month (joined in 2 RR's! Yay!!) so I'm good to go for next month. PLUS...get this....I HAVE DEB'S BOX READY TO GO!!color> :O) It's been ready for a week or so now...just waiting the go-ahead to send it. I think this swap will be lots of fun, and with the other swaps having different themes every month, I can choose the ones I REALLY like and maybe have time for, too.
    That CHOCOLATEcolor> swap for Dec's MNF swap..that Miss Wendy is hosting...YUMMY....I think I'll do that one, new baby or not! LOL I don't see how I can pass that up! Plus, hubby has agreed to help me. He knows that's a major addiction...er..I mean...uh...he knows that I like chocolate. :O)

So....sorry to concern you, Fran! I promise I'll be good, and not miss any swaps. Don't worry about me! :O)

AND...I'll be allowed to have COFFEE again! Woo-Hooooo!! Liquid energy!!color>

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

My Mom's biopsy was yesterday. The results will be in today at 2:00. Mom said that they took at least 8 samples, she could hear a stapling like sound each time they took a sample/biopsy. The Dr. was talking out loud and said that half the lump is soft and isn't cancer, but half was hard- and believed it was cancer. So, I really don't know what to think. I'll know more later. I asked her if the lump moves, she said yes it does. The lump can be seen protruding out a little through the skin, so it's very close to the surface. When Mom lays down it does go in deeper though.

Thanks so much Everyone, for all the support and well wishes!

Deb

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Deb, we will be waiting.......
    Also, a moving lump is good!

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bunny girl, I just don't know HOW you do it. Golly gee, I KNOW I couldn't. My nerves couldn't take it...lol.

Deb, I am thinking about you, you know. Hang in there, and let us know as soon as you can.

Vic, thank goodness, you found a better position.
    I DID send out those questionnaires RIGHT? That isn't even funny! You know how much I worry and then you gonna do me that way!

Good grief can ya'll believe I have another stomach-ache today? I don't know what it is this year...but I DON'T like it! I am not one to be sick, this is for the birds!

• galium
    15 years ago

Deb-I'm glad you posted. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Fran-I don't mind if you give my address out to anyone from this group. I worked on the info form a little this morning at 2:00am. I need to go back and see if I made any mistakes.

I've got Deb's box almost ready.
    Mariann

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Deb, Thanks for the update. We will be with you through all of this. You just take care of your mom and know that we are praying for you and lifting you up. Nik

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Well, since I got invited to drop by, here I am.
    Mostly wanted to say that I was glad to see that Melissa posted here that all was well. I was beginning to worry about you, girl! Wow, you are the energizer bunny!!!
    For those with the sleeping problems, I am right along with you. Too bad life usually requires us to get up early or we could just sleep when we please.
    Well, if I don't drop in again until after Halloween, have fun with the treats, costume, witches, etc. I put out a few decorations but we don't get any trick or treaters so things are very quiet around here for Halloween.

Jeanne

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Mom's lump is cancer. The biopsy Dr. called her regular Dr. and told him to immediately contact a surgeon and get the lump out. It's a cancer that usually hits by the time your 30 (duct cancer). Mom's 70! They also called it a "Familial" cancer. Her regular Dr. asked a million questions about our Family history. No one has ever had breast cancer on Mom's side (or my Dad's) so that really stumped the Dr. He said this cancer runs in Families. He said it's a rapid cancer that is aggressive and can grow a mass in less than 8 months. Mom tried to make an appt. with the surgeon today, he was already out of the office. It's possible, they might just take out the lump (it's a 2-in size) if it reached 2 1/2 she would automatically needed chemo/radiation. IF it stays a 2 by the time they take it out, chemo/radiation might not be needed. The Dr. mentioned 2 pills a day for 5 years to prevent the cancer from coming back. It's possible that they might take the entire breast (they aren't sure until they go in and see what they are dealing with). While she's getting this out the Dr. said they would inject her with a dye and double check to make sure that it didn't go to her lymph nodes. The breast clinic said her nodes were clear (from an ultrasound), but the Dr. wants to do more tests just to make sure.

I'm so tired and worn out. I'm going to bed!

Deb

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Deb I am so sorry. I was hoping and praying that would not be the diagnosis. Know that we are right here for you and your mom. Anything we/I can do just say so. Even if it is just to talk, cry, yell, scream whatever it is.
    You can email me privately or say your piece here.
    It is a good thing they found it now and not later. I am so glad she doesn't have to go through chemo on top of this.
    Let us know when they schedule her surgery. I wish there was something more I could do.

Fran

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Oh, Deb! I'm so sorry to hear that! Like Fran said, anything you need...let us know! We're all here for you.
    But it IS treatable & beatable.....just keep positive & know that everyone is praying & sending good wishes & big hugs to you.

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I ordered some chocolate pods from PR and they arrived today!!!

Now I am wondering what I am supposed to do next...lol.

I took a picture of them here they are:
    {{gwi:1301545}}
    {{gwi:1301546}}
    {{gwi:1301547}}

I put my hand in just to compare the size of these things.
    I didn't know chocolate pods were so large. Wow they are big...NOW what do I do with them? LOL.

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Fran - your pods are huge!!! Lol! Ok, you are going to have to explain to me what they are because I'm at a loss. You say you ordered them from PR? What is PR? Inquiring mind...

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Nikki, I'm right there with ya, totaly confused! : )

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The pods are CHOCOLATE PODS...the seeds are from the chocolate tree which actual cocoa is made from.
    They came from Puerto Rico (PR) I just need to figure out what I have to do to make the seeds inside to grow trees out of them.

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Hey Fran, I did some searching, try these links
    http://www.fieldmuseum.org/CHOCOLATE/growing.html

http://www.cocoatree.org/thecocoatree/growingcocoa.asp

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1134/is_6_112/ai_105371465

Hmmmm, sounds pretty cool! Maybe you can save me a seed for my BD box?! : ) (just a seed, I don't want the football sized pod! LOL)

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Chocolate pods?? Hmmmm....I sure hope Ms Fran is in a sharing mood!! LOL!

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I hope everyone enjoys their weekend.
    I have no plans as usual, my SO is sick and HE is NO FUN right now either!

I just finsihed listing all my seeds I have received to date. I just hope I can find spots to put everything next year if it grows...Oh BOY, I can imagine the water bill now. But it sure it fun...lol

Anyway, enjoy your weekend.

PLEASE REMEMBER TO BE WORKING ONE YOUR QUESTIONS, it is almost November and I will need to pick partners for Dec's swap.

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good grief, I have been confused all dang day!!! It has been SUNDAY ALL DAY for me...what am I gonna do tomorrow?

Yes, I guess I have been bored all day. SO is sick, he has been laying around and no fun all day.

Now MY throat is scratchy...sure hope it isn't a cold! Don't know how his sickness started, sure hope it wasn't with a sore throat ERRR vitamin C anyone?

Oh well, hope all is well with everyone else...

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Deb I am so sorry to hear about your mom, and I agree..anything you need at all ! even just someone to talk to , we are here !

Fran, There is alot of stuff going around already..I hope you dont catch anything more !

Bunny, so glad to hear you are doing well ! Looking forward to see pictures of the little one ! Wishing ya a fast, and easy delivery ! and then make sure someone brings ya a nice HOT cup of COFFEE !! LOL

I have been working on my seed list also Fran...gosh it takes a lot of time...and I keep thinking HOW will I grow them all..so I am working on downsizing to the "most wanted"...BUT ...um...it doesnt seem to be working...I WANT EM ALL...ROFLMBO ! annnd, I am still trading...can someone CURE me please !

I hope everyone is having a great Sunday, or second Sunday in Fran's case..LOL

always

Kym

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Kym,
    If you find a cure for the seed addiction, please let me know!
    I've got it bad, and I haven't even started ws yet! I just hope the neighbors don't mind when I start planting in their yard, I know mine is not big enough for all I've accumulated!
    And yes, I just answered yet another seed offer! LOL
    Vic

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello Kym,
    Glad you popped in. I tried emailing you yesterday but it bounced back, it was too full. No biggie, just letting you know I changed my email addy. Don't like gmail so I went with something I KNOW I can save emails in.

Ummm, there is NO CURE for seed collecting, sorry. I wish I could help you out there BUT after making my list I realized I am hopeless, and IF we don't move to a few acres I am in trouble if I keep collecting AND planning on actually starting them...lol. Which I like you want EVERYTHING, I still have loads of veggies I am eyeing and of course there are those GOTTA HAVE flowers!!!!

Yes, second Sunday's are GREAT...lol.
    And mine is going wonderful already I won a game in another group I am in WHAHOOOO!!!

I DO have a stinking sore throat, it bothered me so much last night I stayed up most of the night. Been drinking hot limeaide, it and hot lemonaide kind of coats your throat I guess and it stops the scratchy , tickle, and in bad cases pain IF you can stand to drink it. It is a temp. fix but one I can keep doing as needed thank goodness!

I found out with my chocolate pods I can't cut them open until I am ready to plant the seeds, they loose their viality fast after opening. So I am not sure when I will be ready to cut one to see how well I can grow them.
    I read a lot on those page VIC listed up there. Not what I was looking for BUT they DID make for interesting reading about how they are grown for money crops. I also found out in those pages that the actual farmers only make about .08 a pound for their hard work. It just doesn't seem fair when WE as consumers pay out the yin yang for chcolate products!

Alright then, guess I have rambled on enough.

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Fran I hope the lemonade helps ! They have me drinking lemonade to stop kindey stones from forming...

thanks for the info on my emial...I cleaned it out BUT why cant they give ME a message saying it was full, and it was actually the trash that was full..UGH! anyways, please resend your email when you get a chance !

SO, what your all saying is theres no cure for me ??? LOL Gosh, what will I do ?? (grin) I just ordered seeds, like i need them, and I have three trades to get out..and I have two boxes of them here...UGH ! although I have been working on my list of haves, and will be doing some free seeds soon !

Fran, I wanted to try and grow Cocoa, but it really needs a long growing season...but I cant wait to hear how you make out !

Congrats on winning a prize, so cool ! I have to admit to missing the RR's so i cant wait to get going again with this one ! Ok, I guess I need to go work on the info to send ya !

Have a great night !

Kym

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Eeek, Fran! Watch that sore throat! I got strep throat last week, along with Hubby & Adora (my littlest). It's been NO FUN. (there's a DUH sentence, huh??) It's bad enough when you're an adult..but seeing a 2 year old not able to talk b'c it hurts too much...breaks your heart.
    She's doing better, though. Up and playing today. Healing MUCH faster than her old momma. LOL

Gargle some warm water with a few drops of lavender oil. That helps prevent & heal strep throat. It's better than antibiotics. And if I'd been doing that daily BEFORE hand, I wouldn't have brought the darn stuff home. BUT I kept forgetting to get any when I'd pass the health food store. *sigh* So hubby made a trip out on Friday to get it, and it kept him from getting strep so badly.
    I usually do this every year, and none of my family has ever gotten it (even when everyone ELSE in the schools & the kids I'd babysit did). This is the first year for us, since I didn't get started in time. UGH. Live & learn, huh?

Oh, and peppermint ice cream! That helps a sore throat, too. I've also been making my own hot toddys, with hot echinachea tea, fresh lemon, agave nectar, cinnamon, peppermint extract..hmmm...and there was something else I threw in there too, but I've been so out of it the last few days, I can't remember! LOL

Okay, I've just been so bored lying down all day for the past 3 days, that I HAD to get up and check my email and such...but now, I'm gonna go lay back down.
    Phew! I'm worn out already! :O)

Oh! Again! (lol) Red Raspberry leaf tea! Or the extract. Either one has TONS of iron, and really keeps your energy levels up. Yep, bunny's secret is out now. LOL Seriously, though...it helps with the energy thing. And it's yummy (the tea, anyway).

I sure hope no one ELSE gets sick!! And that Fran just has a cold. Neither is fun, but it's the lesser of the 2 evils. :O)

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bunny I'm sorry the ick is running amuck in your household. Good thing the little ones can bounce back faster then us. I am amazed at how fast they can recoup and it takes us a WHOLE lot longer.
    I guess that is the price you pay for getting older.

Thanks for the tips, but I don't like raspberry anything and for some reason just this year peppermint makes me sick I just can't stand the flavor anymore, and I LOVE peppermint candy canes! Don't know WHAT I am gonna do about that this Christmas, BUT I am thinking it is just the gum I was trying to chew. It was the extreme flavor burst stuff and it was overwhelming! Really turned my stomach though, so I am thinking it was just TOO much flavor from the gum.

I will have to try to find some lavender oil to check that out. I am prone to sore throats, sinus issues and all which usually turn into a sore throat OR bronchitis which I have chronic bronchitis. SO ANYTIME I start getting sick I can almost always bet on a bout with that. That is ALWAYS fun to have too (yeah, ummm NOT!!!)

NIKKI....I went outside while ago to just sit and stare at my seed babies I started. THEY are just sitting there too! I talked to my mom a few minutes ago and told her that, she said and THEY WON'T DO ANYTHING AS COLD AS THE NIGHTS ARE....bring them in the house!
    So I went outside after talking to her to "look" at them to try to figure out IF I want to go that route...I SHOULD have waited a bit before trying to start them BUT I wanted to see what they would do...oh well, I KNEW better, I WAS hoping the cold wouldn't reach us until Nov! Then they would have had time to do something.

Deb, honey, how are you? How is your mom? I am sure you are busy with her this week. Just know that I am thinking of you both. Hoping for a speedy recovery with the surgery and praying all else falls into place and she is completely well soon.

Vic, how was your first day at work? All is good I hope, hopefully this is your job you were hoping for.

Mariann, I hope you are feeling better honey, I know how bad it was. Are you finally sleeping better now?

Marie, just thought I would say HI!!! HI! lol.

Kym, glad you cleaned out your email. I will shoot you a line just so you will have my new email addy so you won't have to go searching for it. How are you by the way?

diene, how is your weather and you? Hope you are well. Haven't heard much from you lately. How's it going?

Ok ya'll, you know it is less then a week away now...ARE WE READY???? I know you are Deb,,,hehe.

Ok, guess I have said enough, and I like, Bunny prolly need to go lay back down...ugghhh!!! I HATE BEING SICK!!!! This is the 3rd stinking time this month! Seriously thinking about holding my nose and downing some Red Raspberry leaf tea! Or the extract......if it will boost me up, Bunny you SURE it will help? (grumbling, I really DON't LIKE raspberry, but I am WILLING to TRY anything at the moment)Humm, Bunny? Will it? Will it really?

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Yep, yep YEP! It'll help, Fran! I promise! You can buy it in pill form, too...so you won't even have to taste the stuff! :O)

Brewer's yeast is good for iron & vitamins, too. (also in pill form!) Might make ya gassy, though....*giggle*

Also...for the little ones (and those of us that can't gargle!! Like ME!! LOL) you can use a very small spray bottle (they have these in the travel size & sample section at Walmart usually) and fill it with water & a few drops of lavender oil, and just spray it in the back of the throat. Doesn't taste wonderful, but it really works.
    If you do that every day, it's usually enough to keep the yuckies away.

Um...if I can think of anything else the midwife has taught me in the past 7 years...I'll be sure to lecture you some more!
    It helps that my midwife friend has over 25 years experience in the natural healing/herb stuff too. She's one of those certified doctors of natural healing...or whatever they're called. LOL

• galium
    15 years ago

Fran-Nice pods! Reminds me of 'Invasion Of The Body Snatcher's'. Yes, I am doing better back on my sleep meds thankfully. My Dr. gave me a 2 months supply of samples.

Don't have much time my DH is making dinner. Tomorrow I'm going to my DD's to watch 5 episodes of 'Heroes'. So we'll be laying around and eating Chinese food. Yummy!
    Take care,

• diene
    15 years ago

Good Morning All;
    It is getting close isn't it!! Just wanted to drop in and tell you my good news. I was able to get my hands on a pair of magnolias and planted them yesterday. They have been on my wish list for years and I have in the past traded for saplings only to have my partner forget to send their half. Once someone did actually send me a Mississippi magnolia but it did not like the Maine winter. These are supposed to be hardy down to 30 below so they should survive here. They are about three to four feet tall with an eighteen inch root ball so I am very hopeful.
    By the way, I have so many acorns, anyone use these in craft projects? They seem to take forever to rot away and usually take root so I have been collecting them. I have a huge bucket.
    Let me know.
    diene

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Hi!
    We met with the Surgeon yesterday, he gave Mom her options- either go with a Masectomy, or lumpectomy (with 6 weeks of radiation). She's thinking about it.. It all really depends on the surgery though. If it spread to her lymph nodes, then she will need chemo too. The breast care clinic did an ultrasound on the lymphs, and said they were clear. But, this Surgeon said that they can't tell- only biopsy's under the microscope (at the time of surgery) would have to be done. She has lots of tests on Friday.. EKG, chest xray, and has to meet with an Anesthesiologist. The surgery is scheduled for this Monday!

Wow, this is beyond stressful! I could really use some real hugs! ;) And a good lunch at Olive Garden! :)

I'll peek in later, I have to make this short, I have more housework than I can handle!

Deb

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Lots of hugs going out to you, Deb! The next week is sure to be a long & stressful one for both of you, but remember that we're all praying for you!
    And we're all saying the chant..."Clear Nodes! Clear Nodes! Clear Nodes!"
    Just consider us your personal cheerleaders! :O)

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Deb, I am sorry you and your mom are having to go through all of this.
    You would think at her age a woman would catch a break and NOT ever have to worry about breast cancer. It is a scary thing at any age, but I can only imgine HOW she feels. I truly wish there was something we/I could do to make this most difficult time for both of you better.
    I do sincerely hope knowing we all have you and her in our thoughts and prayers comforts you in some way.
    Hang in there Hon, keep us updated on Mom's progress. BTW, if you don't mind what is your mom's name?

diene, sorry I have NO ideas in what to do with a massive about of acorns, to bad you don't have a pig. THEY LOVE THEM,,,lol. But, really, I can't think of anything. Have you tried searching for craft projects using them? I am sure someone in the world has done something with them.

Mariann, it is funny you mentioned the body snatchers, when I opened the box all I saw was a pointed part of a pod sticking out from the end of the newspaper it was wrapped in. It was the strangest thing. IF the Fed-Ex girl had not told me it came from PR I wouldn't have KNOWN that is what it was and when I opened it had I NOT known, I think I would have been terrified to finish opening them...LOL.

Hope everyone's week is going well, it is SOOO cold here! It is TOO TOO early for it to be THIS COLD yet! =8o!

:)Fran

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Diene, Congrats on the Magnolia. I have several old ones in my yard and they are pretty all year long. I don't like the dropped leaves though. They don't break down and act as a little water scoop so there are seasons when I feel like I'm constantly picking them up.
    Deb, I'm still praying for your mom. Keep us posted.
    Fran, thanks for the tip about pigs liking acorns. I have tons of them in my yard right now. My friend is going to have one happy pig when I can get myself out there to gather them up!
    Bunny, Is everyone getting back healthy at your house? My son has had a stomach bug for about a week. Just won't seem to go away. It's not constant, just persistent.
    I'm off to clean house for guests tomorrow night. I hope everyone has a happy halloween.
    Oh and Deb, I'm so excited about next month. I hope that with everything else going on, your special month helps to distract you and remind you of the support from your friends on gardenweb. I have been searching and searching and I think I have something you will enjoy. Now if I can figure out how to ship it.... Nikki

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HAPPY HALLOWEEN, will that be TRICK OR TREAT?
    Tell me, which you perfer on this All Hallows Day? What's that you say? No tricks for you, ahh, that's to bad because that's all I had. No treats for you my sweet, you see? My bag is full of tricks instead, reach inside you may be surprised.
    Now don't peek. Say you hear a squeak, squeak, squeak? Oh surely not you see, pull out your hand and you'll see why. Oh don't you cry, wipe your eyes, look inside, what do you see? Oh No, it's you looking back at me.
    EEEEHHHHEEEEEEEEHHHHEEEE, Happy Halloween.

• galium
    15 years ago

BOO-To all of the witches, goblins and ghosts