Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poisondartfrog

MNF Sept Neighbor Swap, The denouement

poisondartfrog
12 years ago

This is how the game to determine picking order will go.

Everyone will have a chance to guess at the answer to a question I will pose below. Each person can have just one guess and you cannot duplicate the guess of another person.

The person coming closest to the correct number without going over will choose first and so on down the line until every person that did not go over has been placed in order. Once that happens, everyone who guessed an amount over the correct one will be placed according to who guessed the least amount over and so on ending with the person who guessed over by the greatest amount, who will choose next to last. I claim the priviledge of being last by virtue of being hostess this time.

You have from the time of this post until 1 pm tomorrow to make your guess.

Last weekend I worked on packaging some seeds in anticipation of seed swaps this fall. Guess from the photo and the statistics I provide just how many packets I have prepared so far, trying not to go over.

Here are some helpful stats:

I packaged a total of 83 different varieties of plant seeds.

There were 39 different varieties that I had only enough seeds for 1 packet.

The most packets I had of any one variety was 19.

With a few exceptions on top of the pile each variety is in it's own sandwich baggie, whether it is a single packet or multiple packets.

At it's center the pile of packets is 1 and 1/2 inches deep, but thins from the middle out.

Good luck!

Comments (118)

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great box Carmen!
    Shirley C your box has been shipped.

Sorry to disappear-I have had my hands full...of little Sophie. I hope everyone had a good weekend,
    Alana

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Cool, Alana, I'll be expecting it! My box will be going out tomorrow, will email you the DC#.
    Congrats on the new little one! What does her big sister think? Tabitha wasn't real impressed at first with her new baby sister. They have fun together now, well, sometimes!
    Shirley!

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Mailing out my box in the morning... will let you know the dc# upon my return Alana. This has been a fun swap!
    Dan

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Beth and Margo,
    Your boxes will be there soon.

Shirley, I think Allie shares Tabitha's disdain. Once she discovered she could not tuck Sophie under her arm and carry her around like she does Tiny Teranadon she lost interest quickly.

It is going to be a beautiful day today. I have the station wagon loaded up with shovels and boxes. There is a huge Opuntia in a yard that the folks there don't want any more and I am going to dig it up. I don't think I can manage it in one piece; too dangerous, but I am going to try to put it in several boxes.

I have to work this afternoon, but I will check in later to post any new boxes in flight.

Have a good day,
    Alana

• sjc48
    12 years ago

I just received my box from Beth, and WOW, what a great neighbor! Thanks, Beth, you sent 4 seeds/plants that were on my to buy list for fall/winter! I got:
    Golden Yarrow and Yarrow Moonshine plants-both on list and both will be planted as soon as we get rid of the groundhog!
    Marconi Daisy plant - never heard of these, can hardly wait to see what they look like!
    Salvia May Night - YES, YES, YES!!!! Another off the list-this will go in my new salvia bed out front!
    Beth, the wreath got here in great shape-folks, it's a fall wreath with dried yarrow and bunny tails from Beth's garden, and grass from the meadow by the cookhouse! It's already hanging in my kitchen!
    A butterfly gardening guide-many thanks for this!
    Seeds: Zinnia Orange King, Shasta Daisy, Butterfly Weed (on the list), Key Lime Pie Sunflower, and Amaranthus Autumn Palette. Great fall selection!
    A recipe for Chocolate Cherry Bars-all I need is the cherry pie filling-will get that today, these sound yummy!
    Pictures from the ranch! Beth, this was great! She sent pics of the pastures, willows by the creek and sunflowers-very pretty, and good pics too.
    A great, neighborly letter!
    Beth, your neighborliness is much appreciated!
    Shirley!

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

My box is in the air, travelling to its new destination. the box number is #### #### ###1 ##8# ###5.

What? You actually thought I'd give the whole number so you could figure out if it's coming to you or not? Lol, as if!

Everyone have a great day!

-Dan

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Shoot, I forgot to say that Beth also sent me a very generous bag of dried parsley and 3 Snickers bars! Thanks again, Beth!
    Didn't have the right size box for mailing today, but I will have it out tomorrow!
    Shirley!

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

Shirley, glad that you enjoyed it and I got some plants there that you were looking for.
    It has been a good year here for butterflies and Hummers, I bought stuff for them and that was deer resistant so when I read that you wanted to encourage butterflies, it gave me some good clues.
    Beth

• gardencraze
    12 years ago

Alana, my box was mailed today DC # oops almost

carmen

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Heads up Shelly and Robin! Your boxes are on their way.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

Hey everyone!

Just letting you know, Alana, my box will be going out on Thursday and I'll email you the DC# when it does. Had to wait on another seed package to arrive first. :))

~Wendy / sassyb

• brittneysgran
    12 years ago

My box to my sweet sweet neighbor was mailed yesterday. Hope they like the contents.

Alana-Congratulations on little Sophie...Babies are such a miracle.

Shirley

• smitties
    12 years ago

Wow, I keep checking on my DC and all it says is that it was accepted at my post office on 9-10-11 and expected date of 9-12-11. Dah, today if the 14th. Usually the transaction is much more detailed.

Alana, could you check and see if it has arrived because if not, I am heading down to the post office to see what is up. I have live plants in that box.

Thanks Margo

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Shirley! I never thought I would be interested in grandchildren, lol, funny how things change.
    Margo if the recipient does not acknowledge it today I will email them. I have noticed lately that my packages are taking a day or two longer than the estimate by the PO almost every time. Also, the shipping information is sometimes not updated from the time of acceptance until it is delivered-frustrating.
    It will be very hot here again today, but we are looking at 70's this weekend. That, my neighbors, is perfect BBQ weather!
    Alana

• smitties
    12 years ago

I received my box today and imagine that, I picked our wonderful hosts box. LOL

In my box, was a
    voodoo lily
    Magic Carpet daylily
    Black Mondo grass
    6 Exotic Emperor tulip buls
    Black Dragon papaver seeds
    A yummy looking jar of homemade blackberry jam
    and a delicious recipe for butterscotch pie. Gotta wait to drop my extra ten pounds to try this out. I can use it as an incentive.

Thank you Alana for a great box. Hubby and I are on the way outside to get these things planted. He is excited to plant them too.

I totally forgot to send my favorite recipe in my box so I am working a little additional package but want to make sure the first box arrived.

Heading outdoors now. Thanks Alana again, super job all the way around.

Margo

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Well I just got home and what should be waiting on my doorstep? My box from Margo! :) I can't tell you how this has brightened my afternoon...and I haven't even opened it yet.

Okay, have the scissors and I'm cutting the box open...in my box is...

~a lovely note from Margo about my Grape Surprise box
    ~a magazine (which I am LOVING!) The Herb Companion
    ~a 'Save the Earth' recycled grocery bag (green my favorite color)
    ~plant tags and a new black sharpie marker...THANK YOU! :)
    ~Grape Hyacinth bulbs
    ~a Surprise Lily (teehee! so much love surprises and lilies!)
    ~a pink solar dancing flower daisy (I know I won't have this for long when Taylor get's out of school to see it :0) )
    ~WONDERFUL LAVENDER! I love lavender!!
    ~a mystery coneflower....could be white, pink or purple? :)
    ~Tulip: Apple Blossom
    ~Daffodil: Easter Bonnet
    ~Daffodil: Pink
    ...I love daffodils too!
    ~2 beautiful handmade bracelets! putting one on right now! The lavender one with the bees matches my blouse perfectly! THANK YOU!...and I'll wear the wooden painted bead bracelet tomorrow (it has all the colors of fall!, so pretty!)
    and seeds:
    crazy daisy
    blackberry lily
    mrs. bradshaw geum!!! YEAH! thank you!!!
    columbine double burgundy
    morning glories: mix
    cucumber: carolina hybrid
    gypsophila: covent garden
    red corn poppy
    alaska daisy
    sweet william
    sweet basil
    evening primrose
    aster: crego mix
    candytuft

Margo, thank you so much for such a thoughtful box! Everything is just wonderful!

And, hopefully, I'll be mailing out my box Friday. I'll email you, Alana, the dc when it goes out.

Happy Wednesday everyone!!
    vina :)
    ...off to go read my new magazine

• smitties
    12 years ago

Vina, so glad you enjoyed your box and I hope the plants arrived ok. I am disappointed they said it could be delivered two days ago. I am putting together a little something more as I forgot to add my recipe. I have no idea what was wrong with me that day. I felt like a zombie putting it together and just didn't seem to be able to get it right. I didn't feel very well the next day so not sure what was up.

I just got outside to plant my bulbs. It's a beautiful day out and I haven't weeded in a while. I got quite a bit done but it isn't as easy as it used to be. I hurt.

Going to take a nap. Margo

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Margo,
    I am glad you liked the plants I shared with you. Plant the Voodoo Lily deep.
    Vina, glad you got yours too.
    Boxes should start arriving pretty quickly now...just two more days to mail.
    Alana

• brittneysgran
    12 years ago

Checked the Confirmation No. and my box arrived at 11:30 today for my neighbor.

Margo - I can't work as long as I used to gardening. I take alot of breaks now. I can remember when I would go out at 7:00 A.M. and work in the flower beds until dark. The only time I quit was to eat and take a bathroom break. Boy are those days gone. If it's not the back it's the ankle or knees hurting. LOL

Shirley

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

Shirley, you sound like me there with the ankles and knees. Mine is hips and knees but it's the same idea. LOL
    Your wonderful package did indeed arrive yesterday, The boss brought it to dinner last night.
    Wow wow and WOW!!!!!!
    I was totally tickled with all the fantastic plants.JAck was laughing at me as I unpacked each one and I was oooohing and aaahing.
    I'm in the cookhouse now doing breakfast but will post details in a bit. Many many thanks. You are and have been in the past, a wonderful neighbor.
    hugs
    Beth

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

I hardly know where to begin ........
    The plants included were
    hens and chicke, two different ones. Always loved these and they remind me of Mom and the farm where I grew up. Thjere was a coffee pot near the back door planted with these.
    Sedums, Shirley included a list that shows three types, thought I counted four but I'll check, anyway I love these and Miss Shirley knew that.Many many thanks.
    St Johns Wort. A new one for me.
    Burning bush. Another that I have never had before.
    Black pussy willow wooohoooo love it!!!!
    Black mondo grass. seen it but never tried it and I really like dark colored foliage so I'm excited about this too.
    Shirley sent a nice note and a card too.
    A note pad for the fridge, we needed a new one and she sent me a small journal. I think it will fit nicely into my purse.
    Shirley you really have made my day , week and month.
    And to remind me for months to come, she is sending me a new magazine subscription.
    This was an out of the ball park package.
    Can't thank you enough.
    Bethb

• brittneysgran
    12 years ago

Beth - So glad you liked your box....I hope I put in the Chocolate Mint plant. I also meant to get you a forsythia but the bush is so huge I did not know where to start to dig a piece of it. LOL

Shirley

• sred98
    12 years ago

I received my Bucket of Bulbs today from my wonderful neighbor in Michigan!!!

Shirley sent me a wonderful letter detailing the history of all the plants and seeds she sent. She checked out my member page and saw that we share a love of butterfly and hummingbird gardening, so she sent things that would help me with that.

My main bulbs she sent were some mystery Turk's Cap lilies that look similar to Stargazers. She sent actual pictures from her yard of everything she sent! Just like I was walking around her yard!!! They get pretty tall and were crowding her smaller plants.

Then she sent me some Jetfire Daffodils. How did she know I had my eyes on these?? Daffs and lilies are my favorite bulbs! Score!!!

She also sent me a host plant for the Dogface Sulphur and Gray Hairstreak butterflies! It's a Lead Plant. I've honestly never heard of this, or seen one, so I had to look it up. Apparently it's a great Xeriscaping plant, as well! And a hard to find native in Oklahoma, so I think it will be PERFECT here!!

Each packet of seeds came attached to a color photograph of the plant growing in her yard. I got a ton of butterfly/hummingbird seeds!! She sent large yellow zinnias, lilliput zinnias, French marigolds, dill, partridge peas, coral nymph salvia, mamba zebrina, and red Texas hummingbird sage!!

She sent me two recipes, too! Broccoli casserole and cheesy potatoes! YUM!

I have to say, I love my seeds and plants, but my favorite thing might just be the planner she put in there! It's handmade with each month having a picture of her yard and the plants (or snow!) for that month! I absolutely LOVE it and I think I'm going to use it to show my 4H kids and borrow the idea for a project!

I have an amazing and creative new neighbor way up in Michigan and I am so happy she shared her plants and pictures with me!

Thanks so much for a great box Shirley (sjc48)! It really made my day!!

Shelly

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Hi Shelly, glad you enjoyed the box! I love butterfly gardening and love sharing what I grow for it. I WSed a lot of different host plants this year and plan on doing more this year! A lot of what I grow are real "leaps of faith" but you never know, until you try it. And who knows? I could get some Karner blues or some Zebra Swallowtails-would I ever love to see these in my gardens!
    Okay, off to drill more holes in milk jugs!
    Shirley!

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carmen
    Shirley C
    Margo
    Vina
    Beth
    Shelly
    have all received their boxes.

More will probably arrive tomorrow.
    Have a good weekend everyone!

• hdiperna
    12 years ago

Hi
    I received my box from Carmen yesterday. I picked the bugs because I have 2 little boys and they like bugs!! This box was full of favorites that they will enjoy. I received...an easy cobbler recipe, a bug catcher for pulling bugs off plants ( I had to hide it from the boys), a daylily called merlot rouge, Red Amarylis (red is John's favorite color), Pregnant onion and egyptian walking onion( I know we will have fun with these), a bug windchime, sour gummy worms and plastic bugs. Carmen thank you for a wonderful box. I know the boys and I will have fun with these.

My box will be going out Monday. I am sorry for the delay.

Heidi

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wendy and Kelly, your boxes were mailed today. Dan, the Fire box you ordered was too hot to handle and will be delayed until Monday when it cools off a bit.
    Has anyone noticed that our potluck dinner together is going to be heavy on the desserts? Yum.

• beth_b_kodiak
    12 years ago

Shirley S you are correct about the chocolate mint AND there was a package of cactus too.
    I forgot these when I was doing the list. Sorry.
    I have most of the new plants potted up on an enclosed porch. The deer are raiding almost every night and newly planted things seem to be pulled up and disappear.
    MAny thanks to Shirley and to Alana, Great Swap.
    BB

• brittneysgran
    12 years ago

I received my awesome box from Rose....Loved it all. Thanks Rose for putting such a box together. By the way the fruit spread was delicious. I made biscuits just so I could try it. All those different fruits must be why it tasted so good. Let's see you had red raspberries, organic nectarines, plums, apples, organic blueberries, pomegranate & acai juice.

Rose also sent these plants:
    Daylily Ruffled Ambition...just beautiful
    Golden Oregano
    Golden Lemon Thyme
    Cranesbill Vision Pink
    Hens & Chicks
    Coneflower Pow Wow White----YES
    Cardinal Flower Fan Scarlet---Woo Hoo
    Cardinal Flower Fan Salmon---Woo Hoo
    My potluck recipe was chicken kabobs and sounds delicious.

Honestly the plants looked like you lived next door and just dug them and brought them over.

Rose you are definetely a wonderful neighbor...thank you so much for making this such a fun swap. I have them all planted and am looking forward to seeing blooms next year. I have started a small herb garden so the thyme and oregano was much needed.

Shirley

• hdiperna
    12 years ago

My box is packed up and will be going to the post office today. This was a great swap with awesome boxes :o)
    Heidi

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

I received a box!!!!!! And I tell ya, it couldn't have come on a better day... my van's transmission is just about done for and I was puttin' along about 30mph just trying to get to my physical therapy app't.. managed to get to it to find out my foot is in lots worse shape than I thought so I have to have p/t 7 days a week.. yay.

But after put-puttin' home and having ppl zoom around giving me the evil stink eye more times than I can count.. I walked up my porch steps and saw a box. *cut to angels playing on a harp and flying unicorns like in the cartoons.. hehe

I tell you, receiving a RR box, or a swap pkg or even garden catalogs really just makes my day!!!

I received a LOVELY long letter from Shelly (sred98) and a box of many wonderful goodies! Your new Georgia neighbor truly thanks you!!! Shelly sent me 2 cuttings, a 'Citronella' Geranium (YAY!!!!!) and a 'Raspberry Rose' Hardy Hibiscus (REALLY excited about this one!!!!!!!!!!!!). She also sent me Lilac Wonder tulips (you're right, they DON'T look like the 'usual' tulips!), some black berry lilies (another YAY!!), an 'Indian Chief' TB Iris (these colors will fit in amazingly with my other new irises! She also sent some of the Raspberry Rose Hibiscus seeds and Lavender Datura seeds. Another 'surprise' was the Surprise lilies aka Naked Ladies. I read those out loud when I opened the box and said "oh YAY! Naked Ladies!!" You should've seen the look my 21yr old son gave me.. LOL Shelly also sent me a jar of her own freshly canned peach preserves (wow!) and 2 recipes for Chocolate Cherry Cake and Green Bean Casserole. She also sent a sweet wind chime with a butterfly on it that says "Faith, Friends and Family." I am so happy!! The way you describe your area up there makes me want to move on over there! I would love to have fresh eggs and someone to swap canning goodies with! Your place sounds truly lovely. And I am truly honored to be a recipient of your prized Hibiscus. Thanks so very much!!!

*hugs*
    ~Wendy / sassyb

• kellyk49
    12 years ago

I also received my box today. Before I start to describe what a fabulous treat it was, I wanted to thank all of you for participating in this. I have never done anything like this before and amazed at the generosity of everybody! It has been great fun reading along as you open your various boxes!
    Now, enough suspense...
    Hello Sunshine!!! Wendy, I do not know how you did it but along with her box, she sent one week of sunshine to Seattle! It arrived at the same time as her awesome box!
    First, I opened Veggie Garden in a bag� consisted of numerous seeds including ruby red chard, wild burnet, ghost pepper & 6 other types of peppers, Orca & Ireland Creek Annie beans, brussel sprouts, oxheart tomato + 8 others, 5 kinds of lettuce/greens, buttercup &delicate squash, Plum Granny Melon, asparagus seeds and savoy cabbage!! What a bag!
    Next is my flowers bag of 30 bags!!! ZOAWEY! Everything from seashells cosmos, Pumpkin Tree, Autumn Joy Sedum, Vintage Wine & Tennesseensis Echinacaes, Hyacinth Bean Vine, Snowdrift Marigold, Unaria Toadflax, Gaillardia, Viscaria Ruby Flax, Gigantium Onion, Becky Daisy, Moonflower vine, Magic Carpet Snapdragon Mix, Spicea, Rudbeckia Green Eyes, Lobelia Blue Cascade, Periwinkle, Nigella Mulberry Rose, 4O�clocks, Sweet Pea apricot Sprite, Agastache Raspberry Daiquari, Chrysanthemum Sunset, Wallflower Cloth of Gold and Hot Pink Gomphrena. I recognize about 10 of these flowers� What fun to look them up and learn about them this fall so I�ll be ready to plant and knowledgable enough to do so!!
    Wait, there�s more!
    A book Healing Foods which is perfect for me as I love to learn and am trying to eat better.
    9 Mixed Large Cupped and Butterfly Daffodils
    5 each of Angelique Tulips, Margarita Tulips
    4 bulbs Daffodil Replete
    And finally to water all of these plants, a mini Plant Genie!! How fun is this! Enough sunshine for the rest of the year! Thank you for being such a generous, friendly neighbor!!

• sred98
    12 years ago

Wendy/Sassybutterfly-

So glad you enjoyed your box! Don't you love how you can have a horrible day and a box that you have no idea what it contains, changes all that?! I always perk up when I see a box on my porch, too! You are more than welcome to move up this way! But, I just got a free rescue donkey, so you might not want to move too close to me. She gets a little loud. ;-)

I wish I had more seeds to share, but we had a horrible drought and extreme temps 110-119 for 30 days) followed by a sudden drop in temps and rain the past two weeks, so my seeds are just now starting to set! I won't know until next year what actually survived and what went dormant. I was going to send some blackberry lily seeds, but the guineas beat me to them! Apparently, they're a delicacy for them!

Glad you enjoyed the box. Hope you like the preserves!

Shelly

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

Good Morning!

Kelly, I didn't know it was your FIRST RR swap as well! I would've sent a 'welcome!' letter too! :)) I'm happy that you're happy! I didn't really know you so I used some of the info you listed on the new swap thread telling about yourself and asking the GW'er that sponsored you..lol. I still wasn't sure about flower color preferences so I just sent a decent variety of the color spectrum. I completely forgot to mail you my recipes tho so I will email that to you directly.

Thanks to Alana for hosting yet another wonderful swap!!

~Wendy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

Shelly ~ There's a small 'urban' farm down the road that has miniature donkeys and goats. We stop all the time to feed them carrots and watch their antics. SOOO cute!!

The preserves have already been dug into, about 11pm last night actually... LOL! We slathered it on some homemade bread I'd made and WOW it was GOOOOOOOOD!!!!! I'd love that recipe too if you're willing to share!

:)

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carmen
    Shirley C
    Margo
    Vina
    Beth
    Shelly
    hdperna
    brittneysgran
    sassybutterfly_2008
    and kellyk49
    have all received their boxes.
    We are closing in on the end of this swap-just 4 to go. If I missed one please point me to it.
    You have all been great fun...restores my pleasure in RR's.
    Alana

• robin1962_2008
    12 years ago

Hi,My box has arrived from Dan!! He shared some yucca plants and some pineapple mint which I shared with my next door neighbor, 8 year old granddaughter because she has been wanting some different kinds of mint for her garden!!He also sent some dried apple chips from apples grown on his father`s farm and Dan dried(YUMMY).Thank You very much ,Dan!!!

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Robin, you're welcome! Be careful where you plant that mint, it's the most voracious grower I've ever seen! But, if you like mint in your drinks, food, and deserts, that's a good thing...lol! I'm making more dried apples as soon as my new corer arrives this week. Doing it by hand with just a knife gets to be work after awhile! I'm glad you liked everything!
    Dan

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Only Dan, Rose and myself are waiting on boxes, and I have it on good authority that those boxes are already en route, or will be soon.

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rose,
    Your box is on it's way!
    Thanks everyone. Once everyone has received I will post appropriate feedback for you all. This has been a very nice hosting experience for me.
    Alana

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Evening everyone!

Such great neighbors sending such wonderful boxes :)

Speaking of which...I come home this afternoon to find a bubble envie with my name on it from Margo! In this magical bubbler was a recipe for the most sinfully delicious brownies! Peanut Butter Truffle Brownies...okay where do I begin with that? Peanut Butter...YES!...Truffles...HOLY MOLY!!! and BROWNIES...DO I NEED TO SAY MORE! :) Also in my surprise package were some absolutely wonderful seeds from Margo's own stash!

Love in a Mist: Persian Jewels
    Rose of Sharon: Bluebird
    Gaillardia: Oranges and Lemons
    Columbine: Lemon Ice
    Columbine: Ruby Port
    Coneflower: Green Envy
    Gaillardia: Razzle Dazzle
    Love in a Mist: Midnight
    Rudbeckia: Cherokee Sunset
    Basil: Blue Spice
    Rudbeckia: Wild Golden Glow
    Echinacea: Double Decker

Most of these were all on my want list...THANK YOU SO MUCH for being so thoughtful!!!

Whew! I'm tired!... off to go eat my HERSHEY BAR...yeah! that was in there too :)

Have a great night!
    vina

ps. is anyone having trouble with there hotmail email accounts? I haven't been able to open or send an email since Monday?

• hdiperna
    12 years ago

Bummer!! Sorry neighbor I thought your box would arrive today :O(

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Heidi,
    I am not at home so it is possible that it is there. I will find out tomorrow.
    Alana

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

My box from Vina arrived today. I'm having some trouble seeing today (eyes are a bit over-worked and strained), so I'll be back to share what I received. It's an awesome box, and I wanted to let Vina know it's safe and sound. So, Vina, THANK YOU!!! Stella helped me open it, and she says "Meowr! That's cool! And so is that, and that, and that!"

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The box I got from Heidi was way cool!!! She decorated the contents with decorative fall leaves and it made it so fun to open. Her Heidi theme was great too-she included all Heidi favorites:
    Her recipe for Chocolate Oreo balls will get used for Halloween-thanks a bunch!
    Her shredded beef recipe will also get a workout-I have tried something like this before but the celery in this one sounds great!
    There is more nice stuff:
    Salvia transylvanica, for Halloween-how appropriate.
    Ornamental Sweet Potato, Marguerite
    Perennial Geranium, Sweet Heidi
    Daffodil Bulbs
    Sticker Party-for Allie-she will be so tickled!
    A Harvest Door Hanger
    A skeleton Straw-I think Heidi feels my Halloween vibe!
    And some Halloween candies
    I love it Heidi!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks a bunch,
    Alana

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Well, my eyes are doing better today, good enough that I was able to put in a full day at work, which was good! I got really bored yesterday just sitting around, listening to the television. I hope there'll be no more of that!
    Yesterday did have one bright spot though... I received Vina's box of fire, and boy-howdy, it sure is a hot one! Stella helped me look through it yesterday, telling me what was what when I couldn't make it out. She sure is helpful (nosey!) when she wants to be...lol!
    Vina made a huge card from construction paper and put in it pictures from her yard, a nice little letter, flames, and some ladybugs! Very nice! She also included a list of what's in the box, and a recipe for hot roasted corn dip, all covered in fake soot. Very clever, and very imaginative!
    For plants, Vina shared Devil's Riot Iris, Tahiti Daffodils, Fall Fiesta Iris, and Fires of Fuji Daylilies. If you aren't familiar with how any of these look, google them and be prepared to go get some. They're gonna be gorgeous next summer!
    Vina harvested some seeds from her garden for me too... Fanfare Gaillardia, Indian Summer Rudbeckia, and Cherries Jubilee Yarrow. These will all look great mixed in with the coneflowers on my perennial mound.
    Also in the box was a solar yard stake (which matches the ones I already have!), and a book on container gardening! I'll be looking through it for ideas for next summer all winter long!
    VINA, MANY THANKS AND HUGS!!! You brightened up my day yesterday, today, and for many days to come!
    Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

who's hosting the october swap, and what is the theme going to be???

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

i got my wonderful box yesterday but passed out before i had a chance to post! i got snake plant, which i have wanted for some time, and it's variegated, which makes it even more cool! mother's tears, which was a family heirloom from her grandmother, and i am honored to have a piece of it :D ric rac cactus, which i have a question about-- which end should i plant? the end where it was broken off or the other end, which actually have a few roots. or should i bury it sideways and avoid deciding lol? i also got silver dollar seeds and some dried sage from her garden, to make the sage stuffing recipe she send-- mom's, of course! and the whole thing was packed in an adorable denim purse with a turquoise flower embroidered on the pocket! thank you so much-- i love it all!

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your active participation. I will be posting feedback this week as I have time for each of you as great swap partners.

Dan, I think it is a seed swap in October and Ellie is hostessing.

This swap is now closed!
    See you all on the forum!
    Alana

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

I spent most of my day today in the kitchen canning apple sauce, so I got elected to make dinner. I wanted something simple, not involving a lot of pots and pans. What I came up with was something I'm pretty proud of, using chicken breasts, fruit, and pasta. Here's the recipe...

Savory Tropical Chicken

Ingredients:
    2 Pounds of Chicken Breast, Diced
    Extra-virgin olive oil
    Zest from 2 oranges
    1/2 cup golden raisins
    Half a Package of bowtie pasta
    8 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
    1/4 cup Worcestershire
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 Can of Pineapple Tidbits
    1 package of Philadelphia Cooking Creme

Directions:
    Brown chicken in the olive oil. When halfway done, add orange zest and raisins. Finish cooking chicken.
    Add the other ingredients except for cooking creme. Cook until pasta is tender.
    Add cooking creme and stir until everything is mixed.
    Serve and enjoy!