Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

NEW: Theme Garden Seed Swap

sandlapper_rose
15 years ago

Here it is again - the fabulous Theme Garden Seed Swap!!!

drippy has been hostess in the past for this swap. I participated last year, as did many others. It was a wonderful swap and I have checked with her, but she cannot act as hostess this year, so I would like to continue what has been a great seed swap. You can post here on the Round Robin thread if you want to sign up or have questions on how this will work.

Most of this is taken from what drippy posted last year, but it will give you the general idea of how this will work.

Do you have a theme garden? Do you want to have a theme garden (or more than one)? Then this swap is for you! For those of you who might be so new to gardening that you might not know what it is, sometimes people plan their gardens around a single theme. That theme can really be anything - perhaps the original theme garden was the Herb Garden. Another popular garden is the Moon Garden - all white flowers. Some people collect plants that have the names of their family members or they like plants that have animal names (like tiger lily.) When I participated last year, I would see the ideas others posted and kept thinking, "I want that one, too!"

Sign up here until October 20. You will be getting updates posted from me here and I will be sending some information to you by e-mail prior to when you send to me so don't send until we are sure all of the details are finalized. For now, post your theme garden types and any particular seeds you are hoping to get for them. Also, check other posts and start setting aside your seeds for others in the swap. Please only seed seeds that were harvested or purchased in 2007 or this year.

Seeds should be packaged in ready-to-trade individual packs; I cannot sort bulk seeds. This will be a "one-for-one-plus swap" - meaning you will receive one packet back for each packet you send in plus at least one or two extras. Please limit any one particular variety of seeds to 5 packs unless more than 5 people have requested that seed and you are sending them labeled as to who requested them. Just to keep myself sane, please do not send a total of more than 100 trade packets overall. (Even that number has me in awe!) You can add up to 20 bonus packs that are ones that you are basically giving away and don't expect something in return. All types of plant seeds (flowers, vegetables, herbs, shrubs) are welcome. However, if you only want vegetable seeds or only want flower seeds, or whatever, please let me know.

You will need to send your seeds to me in a bubble mailer envelope. No boxes. Include a self-addressed label with your seeds. Keep the labels fairly small so I can try to re-use the bubble mailer you send when I return seeds to you and send a mailer that is sufficiently large. Inside the mailer include a listing of the seeds you have sent, a copy of your theme garden list and seed wishes, and your GW name. It would be very nice if you would label your packets with your GW name as well. Most importantly: Please include postage equal to the amount of postage it costs you to send your packet.

Seeds need to be mailed to me by October 31 and I plan to have have the seeds in the mail back to you for an early December arrival date. I need to get all of this out of the way before I start decorating for Christmas. If your seeds are mailed out too late, you will not be part of the trade and I will have to return your original seeds to you.

Special note to newbies: if you have only few packs, still play! If you have NO seeds to trade, go buy 2 or 3 packs and still play! Many "vets" send in extras to swaps to be given away. I cannot guess how many more seeds you will receive than you send in, but I know I have some, and I bet others do, too.

Special note to newbies and vets who are sending bonus seeds: I would be grateful if you include just a little additional postage to help with remailing.

If I've forgotten anything, please email me or post here. Let the fun begin!

Ideas for themes:

All one color (e.g., Red Garden)

Ornamental grasses

Moon Garden

Bible Garden

Heirloom Tomatoes

Specific Type Flower (e.g., Sunflower Garden)

Native Flowers

Numbers Garden (e.g., Four O'Clocks, Five Spot)

Birds and Butterflies Garden

Jewel Tones (ruby, emerald green, navy, topaz)

Foliage that is "Anything But Green" (Gray, brown, or purple foliage)

and many more!

Looking forward to lots of fun!

If anything in here is confusing, let me know so I can clarify it.

Jeanne

Comments (98)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

One additional thing that I didn't think to say to anyone who is new to gardening, does not have a lot of seeds, etc. is that in all likelihood, you will get more seeds back than what you send. So don't worry if you are sending 10 packets (or 5 or 4 or 1), you will get seeds back - at a minumum you will receive the same number you send and more likely 20 packets in exchange for your 5. Several people have lots of seeds and don't want the same number back that they send, so no number is too few. Even if there is not an excess of packets, I am happy to have you join in so you can try being in a seed swap. It's fun!
    Jeanne

• etravia
    15 years ago

Jeanne, I'm working on a list. Is Excel okay?
    Thanks,
    Maggie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can use Excel. How about some of the others, do you want a copy sent to you in Excel or would you rather just print off each request or do some copy and paste on your own? I have Word if that is better for most of you. Maggie may also have Word, too. I am not the best judge of which program will do what.
    So... let us hear from you if you want an overall list.
    Thanks!
    Jeanne

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

I just wrote this good, long post thanking you and everyone and describing what I had and how many, then the window closed! Don't worry, though, I think I have more than enough to trade based on sharing SEVERAL things I got in trade. I won't send less than 5 seeds for anything, even the rarer or more unusual things. And, I'll only send that few as a bonus or if I see it requested by someone.

My themes are:
    Flowering Vines
    Any edible berries of any kind (all fruit for that matter)
    Any unusual or less common veggies/herbs (or almost any of these as well since I'm very new and am just starting to collect seeds for all the varieties that I don't already have, which is quite a few)

This is just seeds, right? If not, I am open for just about any bulbs, and I will have some for trade as I'm getting some this week. (just let me know)

~Angela

15 years ago

Sue - You said, "I was at my favorite local discount store this afternoon"... and this is where you found some great deals... Hmmmmm.... May I ask WHERE this was so I can see if my local store has anything on clearance? ;-)

~Angela

• suecirish
    15 years ago

Hi Angela

Sue - You said, "I was at my favorite local discount store this afternoon"

The store is here in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, and I'm not sure but don't think they are a national chain. Anyway, the store is Ocean State Job Lot.
    Sue

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just seeds, Angela. Would be too difficult to deal with bulbs and plants with this kind of swap where they get sorted over a period of time and then need to get remailed in bubble envelopes. Sorry your original e-mail got messed up because your window closed. I think every one of us has had that happen at some time and we all say, "GGGrrrrrrrr" just like you did.
    Maggie has sent me an Excel file with the GardenWeb names and the themes each has requested. Wonderful job, Maggie! Anyway, if any in the group have Excel and want it now, let me know or let her know. We will do a final version once more people sign up.
    Have a good weekend.
    Jeanne

• etravia
    15 years ago

Here is a list. Please pardon my shorthand! If I missed anything, or anyone wants to add, just let us know. I think you can right click and copy it, then paste it into Word, or notepad, then add or make changes as we go. I added a white/moon garden to me!
    Thanks Jeanne for hosting. This is going to be a great swap!
    Maggie

Andreab ~ Blue/Dk Purple, Hummer/Bfly, Childrens (animal, orange/yellow)

angelady ~ Flowering vines, edible berries (any fruit), unusual veggies/herbs

babcia ~ Red, blue

boobarry ~ Dr Seuss (veggies), purple, witch/alchemist, Hot/Sun ("sun, hot, blazing" in name), autumn harvest

bri_fly ~ Love

drippy ~ Kings, queens, royal court, English, praise, SC Natives, ocean, music, herb, everlastings, gemstone, astrology/astronomy

etravia ~ Herbs, zinnias, white (moon garden)

flower1 ~ Container (low), columbines, daisy (not white or yellow), clematis

ghoghunter ~ Birds/bfly, natives, climbing, veggies, red, gourds galore

grovespirit ~ Fairytale (annualjaleeisa ~

laura_from_hamilton ~ "Katies special" Anything special or named Katie, Beauty in shade, Heuchera, Tiarella, Coral Bells

micrey ~ Hummer, Purple/Yellow bfly, Red/Wht/True Blue, Orange you lovely, Columbine, Garden friends/my favorite, Timmy's Garden (easy, 6 year old)

nikkineel ~ Bible, Fairy

Poisondartfrog ~ Vines/Climbers, witches garden, foliage garden, zinnias

rbrady ~ Red/hummer, interesting foliage, pink/white (lowroflol ~ "Wishful thinking!", steppables (no bee's), Chocolate or Spicy scent, Names: Abby, Adam, Anna, Aaron, Timothy. Okra Red Burgundy, Agastache Apricot Sprite hyssop, Agastache rupestris - Sunset hyssop, Amaranthus caudatus Candelabra -Candelabra Amaranth, Baby Corn, Chilean Glory Vine, any color, yellow coneflower, Salvia - Cambridge Blue,Sensitive Plant - Mimosa Pudica Zaluzianskya capensis - Night Phlox

sandlapper_rose ~ Red/White, windmill (Pink/blue/white), short plts to go in rose garden, Herb, Neopolitan (choc.Straw. Vanilla), Gems & fine Jewels, Tropical, Herb, Angel, Spook-tacular, Veggies

sassybutterfly ~ Bfly, Dragon, fairies, folklore, orange, purple, blue & chocolate, moon, cottage, daylilies & vines, water garden, shade/woodland, odds & ends

shellfreak ~ Bfly, Sunflower, Nature (birds/Iguanas eat!)

stagerat ~ Mostly perennials, Red, True blue, Xeric/Sand (alpines), Fall interest, short (Sueirish ~ Irish, Celtic, English,Scottish, Welsh. Bfly, Herb/Medicinal

Vic_zns Giant sunflowers

wind_red Herbs, morning glories (yellow, red, white, bi or multi color), purple garden, white garden

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

I have been sitting on the fence about joining this year, I got a lot of fabulous seed last year from generous gardeners, which really helped me replenish my seedbox after last years' seed fiasco (I don't keep seeds in the fridge anymore). But I do have some seeds that will fit with some of these themes so I will try again!

I have two themes in mind for next year

Faux Tropical
    Looking for 'over the top' type foliage and flowers that have a 'tropical' look, but can stand dry heat, annuals, perennials, vines whatever. I currently have canna (which is tropical), castor beans, sweetpotato vines, datura, elephant ears. I am looking for things to pull all of this together into a border for my gazebo.

Does this even sound plausible?!?!

Herbs
    Do not need culinary herbs, I have everything that I use mostly looking for scents and interesting foliage.

Frances

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome, Frances, so happy to have you join us.

I actually owe some seeds to Angela (couldn't find them when I did a swap with her) so I will be sending her:

Apelson Tomatoes
    Tigrovy Tomatoes
    Gold Medal Tomatoes

I am going to start to look through my seed box and see what other gardeners in this swap might like and if I am not sure who would like them, I will put a list here and you can claim them if they are right for your theme. (Of course, I am not going to list everything, I want some to be surprises...)

I have Salvia 'Coral Nymph' if someone wants that. I think there was a very generous trader with this last year because many of us seem to have it. I planted it in front of my shubbery and it did great and is a pretty flower. I have a few packets in my seed box and hope to watch the plants closely enough to harvest more this year.

Will be stopping in frequently to offer some others!

Jeanne

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Hi All, I haven't checked in here for awhile, and was not going to do this, BUT, I just can't resist! LOL

I would like to add a couple more themes if I may,
    I am working on a "fort" for my son, had no luck with the seeds I planted this year (too late in the yr), but I have a trellis type fence up and it has a "door" on one side, that was really part of an old fence we took down. Anyhow, I'm looking for some vines to cover the trellis for his fort, and on the outside of it I'm going to have a fairy/gnome garden (no idea what I'm putting in there yet, lol) I have also decided to try a Tropical garden too, I want to try and ws (indoors) some tropical plants this year to see if it will work. Also anything for hot/dry. I just hope I have something someone else wants!

Laura, I would love a few of your burgandy gallardia
    Jeanne, would love a few of your coral nymph too
    If no one has spoken for those....

I have some (a few) diff gourds I could send for ghoghunter too.

Thanks for all the enabeling girls!!
    And Thanks Jeanne for all the hard work!

Vic

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Alright, my themes are:

Fairy Wonderland- This bed is lots of fun! I'm wanting some mini roses for this one along with other minis or dwarfs. Not sure if mini roses put off seeds, though. It is part sun/shade

Gnome Home- would really like some seeds/ideas for this one since it's a new bed :P shade/dappled sun

Gargoyle/Gothic - another new bed going in this next year, spawned by some little concrete gargoyles I picked up to decorate for Halloween. My husband suggested a "proper" home for them year round :) Any ideas/ suggestions and seeds are welcome! This will probably be a part sun bed.

Frog Bog- another bed I'm working on. We're going to try to put in some type of moving water feature with still pools. It will be a mostly shade bed to make our boggy friends feel at home!

Hum and Flutter- Hummingbirds and butterflies

Shade Tree... Gardener! (as opposed to the traditional mechanic!)Anything that will grow and hopefully provide color in the shade. The areas where this will go is very barren due to large trees in the neighbor's yard as well as the storage shed shading the other side. It gets very little direct sunlight.

Naughty Garden- This one is for plants, veggies and flowers with naughty names or that just look naughty. I have some things, like Peter Pepper, a wild plants that looks like the "Hairy Balls", Dutchman's Pipe, etc. This is a fun garden and not meant to offend anyone. It's done in my backyard and is framed by a twin metal head and foot boards :)This bed is partial sun/shade.

Then my two sons, ages 11 and 8 each have their own garden beds. They are both very fond of Dusty Miller, dwarf salvia, coleus and dwarf cleosias. Vincent, the older, is also fond of marigolds and just about anything else. Devin likes violas. their garden beds are in the front yard and seen by all that pass by or stop in. They are full sun/ occasional dappled shade. They very much enjoy gardening and are completely responsible for their own beds along with making all decisions as to what goes in them.

And I also have long beds for Day lilies, lilies, iris and cannas. I also have several fences that I'd love to cover with honeysuckle or humming bird attracting/nesting vines.I also do a rather large veggie garden in spring and fall. So, I'm pretty much open for anything :)

I'm working on putting together a list of things I will have to swap. My trade list is horribly out of date.

Kathy

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

oh and forgot to say thanks Maggie for the list!

This will really be helpful!

Frances

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great themes, Vic and Kathy. Happy to have you join us for this swap. I hope everyone had a good weekend.
    Jeanne

• gingerbreadgirl
    15 years ago

Hello, how exciting! My Themes are:
    1.Tea Garden-anything to make tea from or to flavor tea.
    I'm planting some in teapots,cups. Fountain out of teapots and teacups. Birdhouses from tea kettles.

2.Fall Garden-Flowers that bloom late summer and fall. Heleniums (sneezeweed),phlox,blue mist shrub,asters except purple,turtlehead,Rudbeckia,russian sage,coreopsis ect.

3.Old Timey Medicinal Garden-anything with medicinal properties. licorice,horehound,valarien,ginger,echinacea,mugwort,feverfew ect.

4.Dessert Garden-anything with food and drink name

5.Pink and Yellow Flower Bed

Thank for doing this!!!
    Constance

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Constance, I love your tea theme. Putting the plants in tea cups and pots sounds too cute!

I am having a lot of fun matching up the themes to my seeds!

Okay, so far I have A. aurantiaca Apricot Sprite for Terri, Chocolate Silk JMG for Jeanne and Tinkerbell Nicotiana for Nikki.

Did someone ask specifically for Verbena bonariensis? I thought I saw that, but I have looked back through the posts three times now and can't find it. If it was not my imagination, let me know and I will harvest some.
    I can also harvest Salvia coccinea Snow Nymph for Fairy or White gardens if anyone wants it.

I have these packaged if anyone wants to claim them for bee/butterfly gardens:

Agastache foeniculum, Golden Jubilee, 2 packs
    Lysimachia punctata, yellow Loosestrife, 3 packs
    Cosmos bipannatus, Seashells 3 packs
    Cosmos sulphureus, tall bright yellow, 3 packs

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Alana
    I would love some Agastache foeniculum, Golden Jubilee for my herb garden
    Frances

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

poisondartfrog ~ Verbena bonariensis is on my 'wish list' but I didn't mention it specifically in here.. I don't think! lol I'd also love love some of your Salvia coccinea Snow Nymph for my moon garden, JMG Chocolate Silk for my Chocolate garden and pumpkin tree for my weird & wonderful one! :) IF they're still available of course! :):) Thankyou!!

~Wendy

• laura_from_hamilton
    15 years ago

Vic - I'll tag some burgundy gaillardia for you.

Constance - I got your email and will put your name on the pinks & yellows.

Happy swapping Peeps!
    Laura

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Constance,
    Thanks for joining in on our swap. I love your tea garden theme! Sure gives me an idea for future plantings.

I can just see it around my outdoor table and chairs. I already have a camellia that can be used to make tea right near the table. (Have never seen a seed on it though... I'll watch more carefully this year.)
    I will try to look through my seeds this week and post some that are up for grabs if anyone in particular wants them. I took a picture of Salvia Coral Nymph over the weekend. I have lots in bloom out there now so hope to have at least 2-3 more packets of seeds to offer. I also have white salvia, a bright pink, and red. I think all three of those are unnamed, but I will look back and see if I had a name when I planted them. Salvia is in full bloom here right now. (Vic, you have a packet of Coral Nymph set aside from you that is from last year so you get it for sure. I had two left over so even if I harvest no seeds this year -unlikely- I know I can send that one to you.)
    I think sometimes pictures are slow to load, so if you would like to show pictures of various plants in your garden that you have collected seeds from we can do that, we just may want to switch to a new posting every now and then so there is not so much to load when you open the thread.

Salvia Coral Nymph

I will get the questionnaires and instructions out to everyone by e-mail this week as well. (Not lengthy - just something to help me sort the seeds when they come in.)
    Still happy to have more signs ups!

Jeanne

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Noted, Frances and Wendy.
    Still have some available for others.
    Alana

• stage_rat
    15 years ago

Poisondartfrog, I think I'm the one who specifically asked for Verbena bonariensis. I hope there's enough for both if us; from what I hear of the plants, there probably is!

Another thought about posting photos on here: if your photo-hosting site offers you the option of posting a THUMBNAIL, it won't slow down the loading of the page very much, and all we have to do is click the photo to see the big version.

Would the people growing gardens for kids want Candy Lily? Mine is medium orange. Anyone who wants some seeds (for any theme), let me know. They're very easy to germinate, and should bloom the second year--mine did.

I need to revise my trade page; all my commercial seeds are one year older than indicated on there, plus I have new things to add. If anyone wants to request something from there, just send me an email!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Stage_rat ~ if you were first to request, I don't mind! If she has any left at all, that's fine by me :)

I'm interested in the following of yours Stage_rat:
    Amazon Chocolate - for my choc garden
    Nicotiana "Tinkerbell." - for my fairy/shade garden
    Double pink opium poppy - for my orange garden
    Silene armeria - also for orange garden
    Alba flabellate - for my moon garden
    Feverfew double - for my herb garden
    Oranges & Lemons - for my orange garden
    Rattlesnake Master - for my weird & wonderful garden
    Brown habanero chocolate - for my choc garden

I'll be updating my list before this swap gets finalized and will be adding lots more, feel free to take a look. :)

Thanks!
    ~Wendy

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

I have enough for both of you.
    I also have several packs of Salvia subrotunda (red, hummer gardens) if anyone wants.
    Alana

• sunset_in
    15 years ago

Hi Jeanne,

I would love to join this swap. My themes are:

Herb garden

Fall harvest garden - anything that could be used for
    fall decorating like gourds, ornamental corn, pumpkins (large & small), etc.

Thanks for doing this Jeanne.

Karen

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    well I don't want to request too many seeds becouse I like surprises, but..... I love alllll salvias. hint. hint.

I will be out of town from sunday 6th to monday the 14th so if you send the Q'air after that, I will get it back to you when we get back.

such great themes, I just love making up little packets for everyone, it is like a warmup for picking christmas gifts.

have a great evening everyone
    michelle

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    15 years ago

Hi Jeanne...thanks for taking this great swap over! I am really glad to sign up for this one!! Drippy - I'm glad to see you're participating - hope you sell your home soon.

My theme gardens are:

Camo Garden - Any flowers that would fall in the range of green, brown, chocolate, black, white...etc.

Patriotic Garden - Red, White and Blue

Zinnia Garden - I love all types, sizes and Colors - especially the Bi-Colored Ones.

Thanks so much for hosting this swap Jeanne! - Lisa

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    15 years ago

Jeanne, may I add one more theme to my list? It would be a very special theme and would take priority over the ones I listed above.

I would like to have a "GW Member's Favorite Seed" Theme Garden...in commemorative to all the nice people I have met here. I think this is a garden that could really grow in size as time goes on!

If you would like to send me one of your favorite seed varieties, I only hope that you would note who it is from. Thanks! - Lisa

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lisa, what a nice idea about a GW Member's Favorite Seed Theme. Thanks for making us feel special - and welcome to the swap, Lisa and Karen. I sure hope I got an individual welcome in here somewhere to everyone who is joining in. We are taking sign ups all the way until Oct. 20th, but of course, the sooner you get your themes listed, the more time these gardeners will have to scour their seed boxes to pull things out for you! LOL

So far we have:
    sandlapper_rose (me)
    micyrey
    booberry85
    ghoghunter
    poisondartfrog
    nikkineel
    wind-red
    brifl
    rbrady
    stage_rat
    babcia
    suecirish
    roflol
    laura_from_hamilton
    grovespirit
    etravia
    andreaB
    nikkined
    shellfreak
    vic_zn5
    flowers1
    sassyutterfly_2008
    drippy
    jaleeisa
    angelady
    fcoccill
    gingerbreadgirl
    sunset_in
    lisam627_ohio_z6

stage-rat, I will see if I can figure out the thumbnail part of the photo site. If not, I can start a separate thread for plant pictures if you want people to see what the "momma plant" looks like.
    I harvested a good quantity of 3 types of seeds from my garden today. They will match some themes so I think I will just keep them a surprise! LOL

Jeanne

• cottageflowers
    15 years ago

Hello everyone! Thanks to all of you wonderful people here at GW my gardens were beautiful this year. This was one of my favorite swaps last year so I would really love to join this swap.
    After having a wonderful summer watching the birds, butterflies and our first hummers I have changed my entire gardening focus!!!! Forget pastels!!! Also due to the economy I am going to start growing more things in my yard for us to eat.
    My themes are:

Salvias!!! I love them. They are so easy to grow and hummers love them. Did I mention I love them.

Sunflowers!!!! I love them almost as much as the goldfinches. I would love to have any reds, rusts, oranges, browns, black oil.

Hummer flowers!!! It was so thrilling to have these in our yard this year. I listened to what you here at GW said plant to draw the hummers and it worked!! Thank you so much!!!

Birds/butterflies!! It was such a rewarding summer after all the hard work and then sitting back and watching all the birds!! You said if you plant it they will come-and they did. (My goal next year is cedar waxwings)

Vines/climbers!!!

Veggies/herbs for human use. I want to cut our grocery bill and grow organic veggies and herbs in my yard.
    I would love a few plum tomato seeds (for salsa), basil, etc if anyone has some that would be great.

I have an excess of bronze fennel seeds, red hummingbird salvia, some coral nymph salvia, purple rain salvia?, hyacinth bean seeds, nicotiana, and milkweed seeds if anyone wants them.

Thanks again. jenny.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Jenny ~ I would LOVE some of the hyacinth bean vine and the purple & red salvia. I def have some of your 'wishes' I can send for you :)

Lisa ~ A camo garden! My son would love that idea! :)

~Wendy

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jenny,
    Glad to have you joining us again. I love salvias and sunflowers, too, and you can bet I will be sharing some of those. I'm with you on the veggies and herbs, too. Unfortunately, I have to grow most of my veggies in containers and especially with the hot, dry summers we have been getting, I am not harvesting a lot. I think I got 3 tiny cucumbers so far this year... did a little better on my green beans, and a few tomatoes every few days, but nothng to brag about. My red popper peppers have done pretty well. I'll be planting them again. Lately, I am outside watching for seeds to reach the right stage so I can harvest them.
    I need to send out the instructions and questionnaires soon because it seems like every time I get on here I think of something else to mention - to those who are newer to seed saving I am going to put myself out on a limb here and say don't be too worried about whether your seeds contain chaff or not. Heck, some of us don't know the seeds from the chaff and if you don't know, don't take a chance on separating them to the extent that you throw the seed away. LOL For those who are meticulous in separating out the chaff, that is fine, too. I just don't want newbies to be intimidated. I have found this to be a good site to go to trying to identify the seed that you are looking for when you gather from many plants in the fall. I hope it's okay to post this here.
    http://theseedsite.co.uk/db2.html
    Happy gathering (or buying - hopefully at discount) for now and happy gardening later!
    Jeanne

• etravia
    15 years ago

Hello everyone!
    Poisondartfrog, I would love some of your salvia snow nymph for my white garden :)

Here is a new updated list:

9/30/08 ADDED: Fcoffil, Jaleeisa, Gingerbreadgirl, Sunset_in, Lisam627_ohio_Z6, Cottageflowers. CHANGED: Booberry85

Andreab ~ Blue/Dk Purple, Hummer/Bfly, Childrens (animal, orange/yellow)

angelady ~ Flowering vines, edible berries (any fruit), unusual veggies/herbs

babcia ~ Red, blue

booberry85 ~ Dr Seuss (veggies & flowers), purple (veggies & flowers), witch/alchemist (herb), Hot/Sun ("sun, hot, blazing" in name or yellow or red veggies & flowers), autumn harvest (veggies & flowers)

bri_fly ~ Love

Cottageflowers ~ Salvias, Sunflowers, Hummer/Bird/Bfly, Vines/Climbers, Veggie/herb (plum tomatoes, basil)

drippy ~ Kings, queens, royal court, English, praise, SC Natives, ocean, music, herb, everlastings, gemstone, astrology/astronomy

etravia ~ Herbs, zinnias, white (moon garden)

Fcoffil ~ "Faux Tropical" 'over the top' foliage & flowers with 'tropical' look, but can stand dry heat, annuals, perennials, vines whatever. Has canna (which is tropical), castor beans, sweetpotato vines, datura, elephant ears. Herbs, scent & foliage, has culinary

flower1 ~ Container (low), columbines, daisy (not white or yellow), clematis

ghoghunter ~ Birds/bfly, natives, climbing, veggies, red, gourds galore

gingerbreadgirl ~ Tea Garden (to make or flavor tea), Fall, late bloomers, Old timey medicinal, Sessert Garden (food or drink names), Pink & yellow garden

grovespirit ~ Fairytale (annualjaleeisa ~ Fairy Wonderland, Miniatures/dwarfs (roses & any other), Gnome Home, Gargoyle/Gothice, Frog Bog, Hum & Flutter, Shade Tree Gardener, Naughty Garden (name or look), Sons Gardens (11 & 8), Daylilies, lilies, iris, cannas, vines for hummers, veggies

laura_from_hamilton ~ "Katies special" Anything special or named Katie, Beauty in shade, Heuchera, Tiarella, Coral Bells

Lisam627_ohio_Z6 ~ Camo (green, brown, chocolate, black, white), Patriotic (R/W/B), Zinnias, GW Member Favorite Seeds

micrey ~ Hummer, Purple/Yellow bfly, Red/Wht/True Blue, Orange you lovely, Columbine, Garden friends/my favorite, Timmy's Garden (easy, 6 year old)

nikkineel ~ Bible, Fairy

Poisondartfrog ~ Vines/Climbers, witches garden, foliage garden, zinnias
    rbrady ~ Red/hummer, interesting foliage, pink/white (lowroflol ~ "Wishful thinking!", steppables (no bee's), Chocolate or Spicy scent, Names: Abby, Adam, Anna, Aaron, Timothy. Okra Red Burgundy, Agastache Apricot Sprite hyssop, Agastache rupestris - Sunset hyssop, Amaranthus caudatus Candelabra -Candelabra Amaranth, Baby Corn, Chilean Glory Vine, any color, yellow coneflower, Salvia - Cambridge Blue,Sensitive Plant - Mimosa Pudica Zaluzianskya capensis - Night Phlox

sandlapper_rose ~ Red/White, windmill (Pink/blue/white), short plts to go in rose garden, Herb, Neopolitan (choc.Straw. Vanilla), Gems & fine Jewels, Tropical, Herb, Angel, Spook-tacular, Veggies

sassybutterfly ~ Bfly, Dragon, fairies, folklore, orange, purple, blue & chocolate, moon, cottage, daylilies & vines, water garden, shade/woodland, odds & ends

shellfreak ~ Bfly, Sunflower, Nature (birds/Iguanas eat!)

stagerat ~ Mostly perennials, Red, True blue, Xeric/Sand (alpines), Fall interest, short (
    Sunset_in ~ Herbs, Fall harvest (decoration)

Sueirish ~ Irish, Celtic, English,Scottish, Welsh. Bfly, Herb/Medicinal

Vic_zns Giant sunflowers, vines for sons fort, fairy/gnome, tropical, hot/dry.

wind_red Herbs, morning glories (yellow, red, white, bi or multi color), purple garden, white garden

Hope this helps everyone! Let me know of any errors, or if you want anything added. This is going to be a great swap! Thank you Jeanne for hosting. Your going to have sooo many seed packs come in!!!!!
    Maggie

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Girls, thanks for the seeds!

Stage-rat, I would love a few of your candy lily seeds.

Jenny, I would also love to try some of your milkweed for the butterflies.

Also, I guess I said it wrong, I'm making a giant (as in very large) sunflower bed, any size flowers are fine.

I also just got a very generous envie of seeds from floodthelast, there are a lot of veggies, I thought she was sending opened packs she didn't use all of, but she sent NEW packs. I'm sure I don't need full packs of everything, so I can pack some up for the swap! I also got several diff packs of yellow sunflowers, so I don't need a lot of those and you can send them to the other girls.

Jeanne, is it easier for you if we post here what we have before we send them to you, it will be a little bit before I have all these sorted, but don't have a problem with it.

Night Girls!
    Vic

15 years ago

Thanks so much for the help with the list. I am sure everyone is very grateful with how much easier that makes it to look at everyone's themes at once.

☻ Thank you ☺ Thank you ☻ Thank you! ☺

~Angela

• mommyto2
    15 years ago

I'm new to the round robin forum but I would LOOOOVE to join in!!!! My list is
    FRAGRANT GARDEN- anything and everything that smells good!
    SHADE FOLIAGE PLANTS- have a lot of shade here at home
    HUMMINGBIRD AND BUTTERFLIES plants - anything that these beautines might like :)
    FALL GARDEN - anything that flowers in fall. I'm seriously lacking fall appeal :(
    and finally, I would love a RED GARDEN. I'm hoping to have a beautiful garden like gattagarden someday (wishful thinking, I know)

• grovespirit
    15 years ago

I would love some salvia coral nymph, or snow nymph seeds. A nymph is a type of fairy, so that fits my fairy tale theme! :)

And Cosmos "Little Princess" is perfect for the fairy tale theme too, so I'd like that. :)

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Ohohohoh! I saw something I REALLY, REALLY want today. I was bulb shopping and they had some Black Mondo Grass that would work wonderfully in my gothic garden! Does anyone happen to have any? I would very happily work out a seperate trade, or send something special in this swap earmarked for anyone that has it!

Kathy

• isamae
    15 years ago

Hi, I would like to join in this swap. I think hummingbird garden and herb garden would be some themes I would like to start with. This is only my second year at winter sowing and collecting seeds so I don't know how many I have to contribute. Is the idea of this swap to look at everyone's list and try to send in as many as you can match up? I've copied the latest list there that someone posted-thank you for doing that!Is there anything else I need to do to sign up? Thanks. Isamae

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome, mommyto2 and isamae. All you have to do to join in is post here and send your seeds that you want to share to me by the end of the month with stamps or some way for me to provide the return postage. Do not send metered labels. Apparently they cannot be used as drippy found out when she did this last year. I will be sending a few instructions and a form to fill out to you by e-mail. Most of it has probaby been posted here somewhere, but just to put it all in one place. Anyway, I will gather the few rules together and get them to you very soon. For some reason, this week has turned out to be pretty hectic, but I have most of this thought out, just to get it typed out and sent.
    I think Vic asked about this. Totally fine with me if you want to post seeds and see if someone in particular wants them so you can label them or bunch them together. However, I think it would be nice to have some surpises as well. So, hopefully some of both. Keep in mind that I may end up with 10 packets of Coral Nymph Salvias being sent in for 2 people so if that happens, I will see who has a theme that seems to indicate they can use them and split them up as needed. (Just an example.) I have not posted many of the seeds I have gathered because I think once the packets come to me I can see what is needed in addition to what has been sent and fill in where needed. I will also have a place on the form where you can indicate some seeds you do not want so if you don't want veggies, I will know not to send them. (Again, just an example.)
    Maggie, thanks once again for keeping the participants and their themes posted in one place. I'm sure that is making it easier for all of us.
    Kathy, I have never seen seeds on black mondo grass, but that doesn't mean it never happens. I am a victim of hot and dry summers so sometimes the plants don't like that a bit!
    Hope you have a good weekend ahead!
    Jeanne

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

I already have 2 themes but I'd like to add one more... I love the idea of a fragrant garden. I love plants that smell good. Is it too late to add just one more? That will be bible, fairy, and fragrant gardens for me. Ok - I'll stop now.... Nikki

• suecirish
    15 years ago

Grovespirit, I have marked a packet of Cosmos "Little Princess" for you.
    Sue

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Is anyone interested in hollyhocks??? If not, I won't bother putting them in. I have some white, and mixed.

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Vic, I'm planning on trying some hollyhock next year. I know they don't exactly fit any of my themes. My Mom loves them, though. I plant her flower beds every year.

• plantaholics
    15 years ago

Well bummer - I have even been collecting special seeds just for this swap all summer. But it is 2 1/2 months earlier than last year (too early for me to have time for it)and I don't care for the new limits/rules so I guess I'll pass. I enjoyed last year (thanks Drippy and everyone who sent me seeds) and was looking forward to this year. Oh well, ya'll have fun. jase

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Plantaholics, I'm sorry this didn't turn out the way you had planned. Maybe drippy will be back to do this swap the same way as in the past next time. If you change your mind, we will be happy to have you join in.

I have a questionnaire and instruction sheet ready for the participants. I am going to start to e-mail them this evening but not all will get mailed out today. I will continue with them through the weekend, but if you don't have them by Monday (or can't read what is sent - I am sending them as a Word document), get in touch with me. Okay?
    Once you get everything, follow the instructions and you can start to send seeds whenever you are ready.
    Hope we all have lots of fun. The nicest people seem to participate in this swap!!!
    Jeanne

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Ok boo! I'll put some in! And I still have more....

Thanks Jeanne! I don't have mine ready yet, that was on my to do list for today but.........lol
    I can only imagine the work that goes into one of these swaps! We really appreciate it!

Vic

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Thanks so much Vic!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is getting a bit slow to load so I am going to start a "continuation" on a new thread. Come to look for us there!
    Jeanne

15 years ago

For those that want to refer to the new thread for more details on this swap:

Part 2: Theme Garden Seed Swap

~Angela