Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

NEW: Holiday Seed Cocktails

dan_the_mailman
13 years ago

Here's the plan. In this swap, players will send in their various seeds, such as zinnias, cosmos, foxglove, etc. Once I've received them all, I'll combine all the seeds of each type, give them a good stir, then repackage them and send them back, giving you a seed "cocktail". The fun will be in not knowing what variety of seed you're planting until it comes up, giving you a big SURPRISE!!! Not only will this provide new varieties for you, but also provide a wider gene pool for your upcoming seeds, making for bigger, brighter blooms!

For example, say three people send in cosmos, seashells, picotee, and bright lights. Those three people would receive back a mixture of seashells, picotee, and bright lights cosmos. At the same time, ten people send in ten varieties of coneflowers... hot papaya, purple, double decker, etc. I'd mix up all of those coneflower seeds, and those ten people would receive back a sampling of all those different coneflowers.

If you'd like to participate, e-mail me for my address. Once you have it, send your seeds, with return postage and address label, to me. It would be great if they could all be here by November 12th. Seeds should be in their own packets, no more than 3 varieties per species, and no older than 2007. The number of packages of seeds you send in is completely up to you, whether it be 1 or 50, or somewhere in between. Just remember to put in each packet a fair number of seeds. I know that's a judgement call on your part, but there's no way I'm going to ask anyone to count out 100 foxglove seeds! Lol, that would drive anyone insane!

I think it would probably be a good idea to hold this to between 25-30 people, but we'll see what kind of response this gets and go from there.

So, cocktails anyone???

-Dan

Comments (95)

• smitties
    13 years ago

The wind finally died down enough that I could get a start on fresh harvesting. I am going to finish up this weekend and get my package off to you Dan.

Finally got some much needed rain but that brought in cooler temperatures. At least there has been no frost or freeze yet so more time for seeds to mature and get harvested.

• molly_and_me
    13 years ago

Please add my name to the list. I have a few kinds of seeds and some for the mishmash. Who hasn't spilled seeds on the carpet?

Margaret

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Today I received huge packets of seeds from Faye and Alicia, making the received list...
    Connie
    Shanta
    Faye
    Alicia

• ramazz
    13 years ago

Well, I will get mine mailed soon. Just had a two week visit from my daughter and new grandson, so I haven't even looked at seeds... I started sorting before they came, and will get back to it on Saturday.

Becky

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

...sounds like you had a good time Becky. that's cool!

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

Hello dan
    My seeds are on the way
    Thanks for hosting
    Michelle

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    13 years ago

Dan, Thought this list might help others. I'm sending the following. Can't wait to see what mixtures I get back!
    Bachelor Buttons, Balloon Flower,
    Calendula, Canterbury Bells, Celosia, Clematis, Cleome,
    Columbine, Coneflower, Coreopsis, Cosmos
    Hardy Hibiscus, Hardy Geranium, Hollyhock, Hosta,
    Impatiens balsamina, Iris, Lilies, Lantana,
    Marigolds, Morning Glory, Ornamental Grass, Poppy,
    Rose of Sharon, Rudbeckia, Snapdragon, Sunflower, Zinnia
    Thanks for the great swap! Jen

• smitties
    13 years ago

I finally got all my harvesting for this swap done. Tuesday is errand day so I will be going to the post office then. Thanks for hosting this swap Dan.

Margo

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    13 years ago

Dan, I put my package in the mail today. You should receive them by Thursday. Thanks for hosting this fun swap. Jen

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good Afternoon Everyone!

Today I received a coupld of huge, filled envelopes full of seeds from Michelle and Jeanne. Michelle, are you one of those people who've gone into McD's and ordered the full menu? I ask this because it looks like you received a seed catalog last spring, took one look at it, and ordered at least one of everything! WOW!

I have a question for you all, and would like your feedback. When you send something in and it's the only envelope of that particular type of plant, would you be okay with those seeds being thrown into the cocktail mixture? E-mail me or post your answer here, and I'll follow your preferences should this happen. Thanks!

-your bartender, Dan

• smitties
    13 years ago

Dan, I have a feeling a couple of my seed packets will be an only one. I would not mind if it is thrown in a cocktail mix. As a matter of fact, I had more seeds I was going to include but thought some would be an only one of its type so didn't know if it would work. Makes more of an element of surprise.

Margo

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Sounds fine to me that if there is only one packet, you put it in a mixture of all different types.
    Would it be too much trouble for you if that happens to give us a list of what seeds went into the mix so we might try to identify the seedlings when they come up? That would make it more fun (at least to me) than to have to wait until something fruits or flowers to guess what is it.
    Can't wait to see what cocktails result!
    Jeanne

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think a "recipe" or list of "ingredients" for the cocktail is a great idea! Not every bag of seed mix will be the same, but a list of the possible seeds contained therein would really help the guessing game next summer, wouldn't it? Great idea!

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    I knowI sent a little of this and a little of that, I don't have many seeds left after moving and I'm TRYING TO CONSENTRATE OF JUST 8 OR 10 KINDS FOR NOW ooh crap sorry about the caps, I'm still trying to get used to typing on my phone. It' such a tenny tinny keyboard. I do want the coneflowers to go with coneflowers and columbines withe columbine coctail and so on but all the other odds and ends are for the miss mix.
    Thanks
    Michelle

• smitties
    13 years ago

My seed package is on the way. I am looking forward to seeing the results next year.

No frost here yet and there was another threat last night. Give me a little more time to get to some things before they meet their demise. I was going to harvest today but there are strong winds, AGAIN, and since they can gust up to 40 miles an hour, I won't bother. Would end up with my own cocktail mix all over the property.

Thanks again for hosting this great swap Dan. Margo

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

With the addition of Margo's and Jennifer's seeds, which I received today, our list of seed gatherers now includes...
    Dan
    Connie
    Shanta
    Faye
    Alicia
    Jeanne
    Michelle
    Jennifer
    Margo

and we're still waiting for seeds to arrive from...
    booboobolhuis/Jennifer
    beth_b_kodiak/Beth
    lindaruzicka/Linda
    Diene
    wishnforspring/Lisa
    ramazz/Becky
    Amy_kakes
    moonphase
    mollyandme/Margaret

If I haven't heard from these people by the 1st of November, I'll send out a reminder e-mail. Don't forget! All seeds should be here by November 12th so I can spend the weekend sorting, mixing, and divvying up so I can get them back into the mail hopefully on the 15th.

If anyone else would like to join in on this swap, there's still plenty of time to do so! All it takes is an e-mail letting me know you'd like to join, and I'll reply with my address so you know where to send your seeds to.

HAVE YOURSELVES A GREAT WEEKEND!!!

-Dan & the Wee Beasties

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Thanks Dan, I'm working on this just sorta in slow motion.
    Jack and I have both had some health issues and have returned to AZ.
    Any word from Jennifer to anyone?? I'm beginning to worry about her.
    BB

• molly_and_me
    13 years ago

Hi, Dan

My seeds will go out on or before Oct. 28. Will e-mail you when they are sent.

Margaret

• ramazz
    13 years ago

I mailed my seeds today and you should get them on Friday (I hope).

Becky

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I received more seeds in tha last couple of days, which brings our list of people who've bellied up to the bar to...
    Dan
    Connie
    Shanta
    Faye
    Alicia
    Jeanne
    Michelle
    Jennifer
    Margo
    Becky
    Elizabeth

HAVE A HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!
    -Dan and Bump (Bump is watching me use the keyboard, laying on the desk right above it)

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone, and Welcome to the Home Stretch! It's November 1st, and that means those of you who are still wishing to send in your seeds need to do so within the next week so they'll be here by the 12th, which is a week from this coming Friday.
    There's still time for newcomers to join in on the fun, just drop me an e-mail so I can send you my address.
    Drink up people, it's almost time for last call! LOL!

Have a great day!
    -Dan

• molly_and_me
    13 years ago

Seeds were mailed tdoay.

Margaret

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Dan did my seeds arrive yet? I mailed them about a week ago.
    Bethb

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We've got one more week to go, and then I'll start sorting all these seeds out on the evening of the 13th. Linda has sent me an e-mail saying that she won't be able to play with us after all due to some things happening on the homefront. With one week to go, here's a list of the people I've got envies full of seeds from so far...
    Margo Smith
    Elizabeth Berry
    Jennifer Roberts
    Margaret Couch
    Becky Mazzarella
    Jeanne Hertzog
    Alicia Contic
    Shanta Fillion
    Faye Tilley
    Michelle Reynalds
    Connie Schlimm

Beth, I'm still crossing my fingers that your package will show up soon.

Have a good weekend everyone!
    -Dan

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

whooeee puzzle solved.
    I must have used an address label with my "real name", Elizabeth on it.
    Sorry for the confusion.
    I've been a bit (a bit???? hummm) spaced out recently. I'll try to do better.
    bb

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE STILL SENDING SEEDS IN FOR THIS SWAP?
    Unless I hear otherwise, I'll start sorting seeds Wednesday evening. It looks like it's gonna take awhile... which is fine by me! You all have gone over and beyond my expectations!!!

***applauding all the players***

• diene
    13 years ago

Hello Dan;
    I was planning on sending you some seeds but I really was not wanting anything back so you can start sorting any time you want. I hope to get some stuff out to you tomorrow but do not wait on me.
    diene

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Diene, it's looking like I won't be able to finish sorting the seeds until Saturday or Sunday, which should give those seeds plenty of time to arrive. Are you sure you don't want any seeds back?
    -Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's Friday! And that means that tomorrow, after work, I'll begin mixing those seed cocktails! How cool is that?
    -Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

...beginning to take inventory before I start mixing drinks...

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

now that taking inventory is done, I really do need a drink! lol!
    Everyone sent in a great selection of seeds, but the Humanitarian Award definitely goes to Michelle Reynolds. She sent in a HUGE amount of seeds and only asked for certain ones back. Not only will I be using about half of her seeds for the Big Mix, but Michelle also provided the matching seeds to go to a good number of people who were the only other ones to send in certain types. ***applauding you all***
    The Top Three Types of Seeds were Marigolds, Cosmos, and Morning Glories.
    The Big Mix Cocktail will include over 50 different types of seeds!!! And yes, I will be sending a "recipe" with the mix so you can at least try to guess what's growing in your gardens.

And on that note, I'm going to take a break for awhile. I've been at this for the past 4 hours. It's fun though, so it's all good! Don't you just love playing with seeds? Of course, having Stella's "help" did affect productivity just a bit...lol!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

9 types of seeds to mix and re-distribute, but my eyes are fuzzy and I've got a belly-ache in my head for the past few hours, so I'll finish this up tomorrow night.

stay tuned...

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OKAY! ALL the sorting is done, the recipe is printed, and all of the envelopes are sealed and ready to fly back home! YAYYYYYY! I'll be putting them into the mailstream later today once I've finished running my route.
    For those of you who sent stamps, I put them on your envelopes. One or two of those might need some extra postage, and those will arrive home with a little postage due.
    Two of you sent money, so I'll be going to the window with those and sending them on their way.
    All in all, it's been a lot of fun, and I'd like to thank EVERYONE for their contributions! We went into this as newbies, having never done this type of swap before, but we all came through it okay and will be looking for some great surprises in our gardens next year.
    If any of you have questions, please feel free to let me know.
    Please post here when your package arrives, okay? Thank you!
    HAVE A GREAT DAY!
    -Dan

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Whhhoohoooohoooo!!!! I got seeds today!!!!!
    Thanks Dan and all the traders.
    This has been like Christmas and I just love the list for the mystery mix. WoW will that be full of surprises.
    Thanks Dan for hosting and all your hard work. Now just kick back with a brownie and a drink.
    BB

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

YAYYY, the first package of seeds made it to it's forever home! Thanks for posting Beth! I do appreciate it!
    -Dan

Margo Smith
    Elizabeth Berry - received
    Jennifer Roberts
    Margaret Couch
    Becky Mazzarella
    Jeanne Hertzog
    Alicia Contic
    Shanta Fillion
    Faye Tilley
    Michelle Reynalds
    Connie Schlimm

• smitties
    13 years ago

Dan, my seeds arrived today. Wow, what a job you had and you did it great!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is going to be fun when seeds start sprouting.

Margo

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

My seeds arrived today, Dan. Thank you for all your hard work in pulling this together. It was fun and very different. Wow, that was a long list seeds that went into the major cocktail! (I might need one of those - the type you drink - a bit later today. LOL)
    Thanks again.
    Jeanne

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

it's time for a friday night update...
    Margo Smith - received
    Jennifer Roberts
    Margaret Couch
    Becky Mazzarella
    Jeanne Hertzog - received
    Alicia Contic
    Shanta Fillion
    Faye Tilley
    Michelle Reynalds
    Connie Schlimm
    keep'em coming kids! every bartender likes to know that everyone made it home okay!

HAVE A GREAT PRE-THANKSGIVING WEEKEND!!!
    -Dan

• molly_and_me
    13 years ago

Thanks, Dan. I received my seeds.

It will be interesting to see what I have.

I may devote a whole new bed to the Big Cocktail Mix!

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I received my seeds and I am really happy with the exciting mixtures. I couldn't believe the huge list of flowers in the "Big Mix Cocktail"! I spent all last night looking them up and planning my new flower beds. (there was a bright full moon) Thanks to everyone for sharing! And a big thanks to Dan for hosting!
    Jen

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Margo Smith - received
    Jennifer Roberts - received
    Margaret Couch - received
    Becky Mazzarella
    Alicia Contic
    Shanta Fillion
    Faye Tilley
    Michelle Reynalds
    Connie Schlimm

• ramazz
    13 years ago

I received mine yesterday. Sorry, I haven't been on the computer all weekend. Thanks, Dan, for a great swap. I am looking forward to seeing all the surprises.

Becky

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Margo Smith - received
    Becky Mazzarella - received
    Alicia Contic
    Shanta Fillion
    Faye Tilley
    Michelle Reynalds
    Connie Schlimm

• lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA
    13 years ago

Alicia Contic received! Thank you so much for all of the seeds, and I just love the Cocktail mix! Can't wait to see what all grows out of it.

Thanks again. Happy Thanksgiving to all!
    Alicia

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    mine got here wile I was out of town, thanks bunches I love this kind of swap.
    happy gardening
    michelle

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yayyyyy, more seeds have found their home! that is great to know! here's our list, updated as of 11/24/10.
    Margo Smith - received
    Becky Mazzarella - received
    Alicia Contic - received
    Shanta Fillion
    Faye Tilley
    Michelle Reynalds - received
    Connie Schlimm

do you all realize that Christmas Eve is in 1 month, and New Year's Eve is just 5 weeks from Friday???

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just received an e-mail from Shanta letting me know that her seeds arrived safely, so now I'm just waiting to hear back from Faye and Connie. I've sent them both a note asking if they've received their seeds.
    -Dan

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Connie has received her seeds, so once Faye has let me know hers arrived safely, we'll close out another successful swap!
    Happy Saturday Everyone!
    -Dan

• nottougly
    13 years ago

Hello,
    I received my seeds also.
    Thanks alot. I can't wait to see what grows.
    Faye!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

...and with that, we'll call this bar closed. have fun planting everyone!

-Dan the Bartender