Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ericabraun

UPDATE: Spooktacular Halloween Swap (part 2)

EricaBraun
9 years ago

Halloween will be here before we know it! I don't know about you guys, but I love Halloween. Us GardenWebbers might be too old to go trick or treating, but what could be more of a treat to a gardener than a big bag of seeds!

It's time for a Halloween Seed Swap! Fun! Fun! Fun!

Here's some interesting facts about Halloween that I only recently became aware of:
"In England and Ireland, Halloween lanterns were originally carved out of turnips and large beets. Faces of demons were cut into the vegetables then a glowing coal was placed inside. People carried these lanterns around the village or left them burning on doorsteps to frighten away evil spirits.

When the Irish immigrants arrived in America, they found pumpkins abundant and much easier to carve than turnips. And thus, the tradition of turning pumpkins into jack-o-lanterns began.

The custom of decorating with apples, pumpkins, cornstalks, and autumn leaves has its origin in an ancient Druid autumn festival called Samhain (pronounced SAH-win). The festival celebrated the end of summer and a successful harvest." - By Lisa Halvorsen, University of Vermont

This will give us a great baseline to get started!

RULES:
Qualifying plants come in three catagories:
1) Anything that can be carved into a Halloween lantern: turnips, beets, winter squash, pumpkins (please no NoID pumpkin seeds), or anything that you can reasonably argue can be made into a lantern.
2) Any plant with a Halloween themed name. Here are a few examples: "Ghost" Pepper, "Goblin" Gaillardia, "Witch" Hazel, "Blood"root etc. You'd be surprised how many there are!
3) Halloween colors. Anything with orange or black fruit, flower, or foliage. Examples include: Amana Orange tomato (orange fruit), black hollyhock (black flower), orange cosmos (orange flower), Black Pearl pepper (black foliage and fruit), Rustic Orange coleus (orange foliage), etc.

Only three packs of the same type of seeds are allowed. If you send in more than 3, the extras will be considered bonus and will not count towards the number of packets sent in.

Minimum of 15 seeds per pack (10 will be sufficient for large winter squash seeds). No seeds older than 2013. Anything older than 2013 will be considered bonus and will not count towards the number of packets sent in.

Send in however many packs you'd like, maximum of 100. Whatever you send in will be the amount that I return to you. Use a bubble mailer, as this is what I will use to return your new seeds. Include a return label with your address on it, as well as the postage it cost you to send, plus one additional stamp. This will help account for potential differences in weight/bulk, bonus seeds, prizes, etc. If you choose to send cash, rather than stamps, I will supply you with a PID number when I ship.

Include a list of what you have sent me so that I make sure to send you different seeds. If you have a preference as to what you get back, include it on this list. Please no more than five items on your request list. It can be specific, ie "ghost peppers", or general, ie "I prefer flowers." I will do what I can to fulfill your requests.

When I have all of the seeds, I will divide them up to send back to you. Any additional seeds welcome.

Deadline to get the seeds to me is Oct 22nd. I will get your new seeds out no later than Oct 27th. This will give the post office a full five days to get your packets to you, so that you receive them by Halloween.

Please respond here if you are interested. Remember, the more unusual or rare, the better!

Send seeds to:
Erica Braun
1894 Lindo St
Benicia, CA 94510

And since Halloween is a time for "tricks" as well as "treats," keep your eyes peeled for games I will be hosting throughout the month. Winners will get additional goodies added to their packs! Oct 1st we will start our first game: Bobbing for Apples.

Wishing you all a spooktacular Halloween!
Erica

Comments (150)

• garretds7
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

a) A zombie

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nope. Promise, your turn.

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Does anyone else hear the Jeopardy theme music playing?

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Make sure you start your answer with "What is..."

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

C) A Vampire... isn't the answer always C?

• garretds7
    9 years ago

Lol, Are we gonna get to the very last one, Haha!!!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finally, a winner!!!

Congratulations, Promise! You really had to work for that one. Lol.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Come back Monday for our new game -- Monster Mash!

• garretds7
    9 years ago

That was too good! I almost went for C. Haha!!!

Congratulations Pmb2005! That was a tough one, huh?

Now what exactly was the hangman answer?

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

You were just a regular Claudia huh? Oh my goodness that was extensive and intensive!! Good game! Do I win some Lebanese Red? LMAO!!!

• garretds7
    9 years ago

Now Promise, Your going to have to let me have some of that PIZZA!!! Haha!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh... Genovese Red Freddy Krueger. It's Genovese Red Freddy (a basil) + Freddy Krueger.

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

I am now going to have to grow Genovese Red because of this experience. :)

• garretds7
    9 years ago

That was a good one!
    Now listen to Promise, Haha!!! She wants some of that to go with her Pizza! Rofl!

• garretds7
    9 years ago

Ah, I agree! Adding to my list... That was lots of fun.

• garretds7
    9 years ago

Insert Foot In Mouth...
    It's on my list! Gee, now if I were looking in my want list rather than Erica's I may have guessed it. Haha!!!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Roflmao!!!!

• garretds7
    9 years ago

You would, Ha!!!

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

I have even heard of it and couldn't guess it. Mary E.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mary -- I tried to make them progressively harder. I wanted people to get the hang of the game before throwing something like that out there.

• midwestfarmwife
    9 years ago

Erica, my seeds are in the mail.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Erica, it's been hectic but this afternoon or Monday I will solve our email situation.

Mary E.

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

package is on the way!

Jayeanne

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will keep everyone updated as the packages come in.

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Thought ya all might enjoy this....

Making this for dinner tonight - Stuffed Jack-O-Lantern Bell Peppers YUM!!

Jayeanne

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very cute and undoubtedly delicious.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A super big thank you to Promise for the birthday card, seeds, tea, and labels. I know I should have waited till my birthday to open it, but I couldn't help myself.

I got a good kick out of the enclosed note. Thought you guys might get enjoy a little chuckle. She wrote, "You're a great friend, with lots of seeds! A friend with seeds, is a friend indeed!" There you have it! Proof that seeds will enrich your life and the lives of those around you!

Hope you are all having a great weekend. Don't forget that Monday is Monster Mash time!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I received seeds today from blossombrigade and stefaniechamo. Thank you, ladies!

• smitties
    9 years ago

I forgot to post that I mailed my seeds on Thursday. The post office is closed Monday but since a card to my son in Texas took 4 days, would probably won't see it til Wednesday.

Margo

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Margo -- Good deal. I'll let you know when they arrive.

• garretds7
    9 years ago

I got a little story to tell. I got a live plant from Erica. Very cool plant. The other day I let her know that I got seeds off of it. Cool deal! Anyhow, Seeds kept dropping, so I put some white paper under it to catch them (easier to find). Worked great. Pics to follow...

• garretds7
    9 years ago

I used these strips of paper to load seed packs. I'd lay about four to 8 of them in a row and fill them with however number of seeds that needed to go in the pack. Works great - much quicker to do for big swaps!

I got a bunch of little perfectly round black seeds off this plant!

• garretds7
    9 years ago

This was so cool! And I thought - hey! I need to let Erica know to go check her plant too! Just in case - I mean she might have seeds coming in and didn't catch it!

• garretds7
    9 years ago

I have decided to name these seeds,

Z 'atar Oregano with a Kick! What do you think?

• garretds7
    9 years ago

ROFL!!! Now I didn't get this guy with the plant when it came in. I just want to clarify this. These guys were in my garden. I think when I brought some of my peppers in to overwinter - I carried him in, lol.

It's a good thing these 'Z 'atar Oregano with a Kick' didn't make it into a swap or trade! It might make a very good soil enhancer, lol!

I began to get suspicious when I came down this morning to find so many new seeds laying on the paper! My OH my, what a treat, eh! I know some of you know what it's like trying to check for caterpillars on your plants. They can be very difficult to find. I looked all around this plant 3 - 4 times and there he was!

I knew some of you might get a kick out of it so I just had to share this.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol. I didn't think it was seeds. I told you to check for bugs! *giggle* At least it didn't decimate the plant. Caterpillars have been ruthless for me this year.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah, well, maybe I don't get bonus points for sending you the extra goody. I was thinking maybe I could pass it off as a Halloween surprise!

• garretds7
    9 years ago

Haha! I have tears coming out of my eyes, I'm laughing so hard!!! It definitely didn't come with the plant. I know this because just 2 feet away my Mom's plant had one on it. It actually hung off hers and snacked on a Tobacco plant I have, lol! The plant you sent came just after this happened to my Mom's (edit to add). The one on my Mom's plant did do a nasty job on it. But by spring it'll be bigger and better than it was. Way too frickin' funny!!!

Yeah, you told me. I looked but nothing. I should have realized in the first place because this was one of the things I looked for when checking my tomato plants. But those were so much bigger. Yep, nice little perfectly round turds!!! LMAO!!!

So Erica, don't think it was you, it wasn't...

This post was edited by Garretds7 on Sun, Oct 12, 14 at 15:04

• garretds7
    9 years ago

Trick or Treat!!! ROFL - LMAO!!!

• NonnaG
    9 years ago

Hello all. I put my seeds in the mail today. We have one of the automated things on 52nd street. I know the post office is closed tomorrow but I can never get off work in time to go to the post office. This one is not far from the church so I went there. So the seeds will be there soon. God bless all of you. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

NonnaG

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

NonnaG -- Sounds great. I'll let you know when they arrive here.

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Happy Fall Y'all!! We went ahead and demolished our decorations. The seeds are drying and I will be offering this magical, beauty as an Autumn Mix.

• garretds7
    9 years ago

Very Nice Promise! Out of all the pumpkins you have grown... which do you think is best for Pumpkin Pie?
    I've never grown a pumpkin before. But have made pumpkin pie from scratch. I've been looking out for a good one.

For anyone, what is your favorite for Pumpkin Pie? Just curious!

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

I haven't grown many pumpkins for eating. I have grown a basic sugar pie pumpkin they are ok. As I understand it, New England Pie, Baby Pam, Fairytale and Cinderella Pumpkins are all very good. And all on my want list. :) So far this year, the Blue Hubbard is my ultimate favorite. YUM. It is like sweet potato, but better. I'd like to use those for breads and pies. Also, tonight we cut into a butternut we grew and it was the ORANGEST butternut I have ever seen and it was the best tasting too.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Promise -- That's a very nice selection you have there!

• cryptid
    9 years ago

Greetings, all! Not very well able to properly post till now. Dang,...I've missed out on at least two games (or is it three?) already. Trashed a bunch of invasively encroaching Centranthus and repotted three green Japanese maples today. Waiting for our last Serrano pepper to turn red and sorting seeds to send in for this swap. Gettin' my seeds and special seed packets ready.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey Darrin -- Good to see you. You've only missed two games. I'm about to post the 3rd. There will be 4 games total. So, even though you missed the first two, you can still participate in the last two.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This thread is almost full, so I made a new one to start this week's game.

• garretds7
    9 years ago

Thank you Promise for the help on the Pumpkins! I like Butternut too. The Blue Hubbard, I'm gonna have to look out for. My Mom and I both like Butternut Squash. Everyone likes sweet potato's here so I bet the Hubbard will be a winner here. Writing them down, thank you very much!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Finishing out the last post on this thread. See new thread.