Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nettasaura

NEW: Victorian Christmas Craft Swap

nettasaura
17 years ago

Ok...I'm totally flying by the seat of my pants here, but would anyone be interested in a Victorian Christmas Craft Swap.

It will involve partners and a crafting start date and then a send out date, but I need to see if I can generate enough interest first.

I would say at least 8 players would be enough.

Crafted items could be anything from christmas tree ornaments to christmas decor items like candles or small flower arrangements. Just keep the word Victorian in mind and think elegant, feminine, opulent.

So let's see how many of you are even interested. If I don't have enough interest by the end of October I will sack this one! If I do, I will post a firmer set of rules, then crafting will start November 10th and packages will be sent December 10th.

Thanks! (and I'm wishing myself luck right now! LOL)

Comments (37)

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

I love Victorian ornaments --and crafting--this sounds like fun-count me in
    Jeanette

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Victorian Christmas Craft Swap Rules

1). Players will be matched up with partners. This will be done by drawing out of a hat. After being matched up, you must contact each other for addresses.

2). Crafting will start on November 10th. Players must be ready to ship their boxes to their partners by December 10th. You must use delivery confirmation. Boxes should not cost more than $8.10 Priority Mail.

3). The items crafted should be Christmas related whether they be ornaments, candles, flower arrangements, table runners, etc. Please try to have at least 5 items in your box with at least 3 being different from each other.

4). Players must post their preferred Victorian Christmas decorating colors (& themes if you have any) here on the forum. After all you wouldn't be too happy if your buddy sends you everything in blue & silver if you happen to decorate for Christmas in red & gold. Buddies: Please pay attention to your partners color schemes!!! Other than that your crafts should be a total surprise for your partner.

5). Crafts absolutely must be Victorian in style!!! No sneaking in anything Country or Modern! Like I said before think back to elegant ladies in fine dresses, tea time in the afternoon, evening balls, and more. Victorian is elegant, feminine, opulent! Use lace, ribbons, beads, thread crochet, tatting, gilding, and lots of other options! Googling Images for Victorian Christmas and Victorian anything should give you a visual starting point if you are having trouble! Now you don't have to spend a ton of money on your crafts, just get creative in the use of your matierials.

6). Sign-ups will end November 5th....so let's get this party started!

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have several different color schemes & themes throughout my home, all Victorian in flavor. Any of these would be great! And NO SILVER!!! Nothing against silver...just don't favor it too much.

Pink, Cream & Gold - Victorian ladies and all things pertaining to (living room)
    White, Cream & Gold - Tea Time (living room)
    Burgundy, Gold, & White - Berries & Holly (hallway)
    Burgundy, Gold & Cream - Music (dining room)
    Hunter Green, Copper, & Cream - Roosters, Wine & Fruit (this is my kitchen if you couldn't tell)
    Burgundy, Pink & Gold - Birds and all things pertaining to (guest bath)
    Deep Jewel Tones & Gold - Night Sky & Jewels (stairwell)
    Blue, Gold & White - Nature - Fire, Ice, Snow, etc. (upper stair landing)
    Earth Tones , Gold & Cream - African animals (the boys room...try to think victorian hunting lodge in style minus the trophies! LOL)
    Purple, Lilac & Gold - Butterflies & Spring (master bath)
    Pastels, Cream & Gold - Soft, Girly, Fairies (master bedroom)

And don't think you all have to get that specific....just remember that I am a Christmas maniac and that might help you relax! LOL
    Netta

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

Netta--did you need me to sign up again?? If so--I am--still sounds like fun. Many many years ago my bro's and sis's called me 'Nettie'-- seeing your signature sure brought back memories:)
    Jeanette

• elsie_ms
    17 years ago

I would like to give a try also. Add me to your list.
    Thanks Elsie

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Jeanette & Elsie! Glad you would like to join.

And don't forget to post your color schemes (and themes if you have any, but they must be Victorian in flavor) so your future buddy has a starting point for their crafts!

Netta

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Okay, I think I'll play too. I love Christmas, although I have very little Victoriana. I do enjoy crafts (painting especially), so I think I could come up with some suitably Victorian decorations. Count me in!

My Favorite Colors: jewel tones with gold (I'm not a pastel person), or earth tones with gold (Mission colors)

My Favorite Motifs: florals (I grow lots of Victorian-era heirlooms and garden favorites - roses, peonies, irises, lilacs, mockorange, lavender, ferns etc.) and birds (especially cardinals and Northeastern songbirds)

Laurel

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Welcome aboard Laurelin! And great colors and motifs...all lend themselves to Victoriana!

Thanks! We still have lots of room here for other players, so come on in and sign-up!

Netta

• elsie_ms
    17 years ago

No color schemes right now and when we do decide on remodeling the Victorian theme colors(burgundy/hunter green/cream) will be fine. I'm not hard to please :-)

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

My colors are -raspberry/hunter green/cream--I do like golds too-pinks are ok too--I have a few that are midnight blue and silver--I am not hard to please--I love rose and pansey motifs although I have some lilacs and ferns too-
    This sounds like it will be fun!!
    Jeanette

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks ladies! Fabulous ideas are already swirling through my head...can't wait to find out who I will be crafting for!
    Netta

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is our current player list:

NETTASAURA - me
    NUMBER_1_ANGEL - jeanette
    ELSIE_MS - elsie
    LAURELIN - laurel

We would love to have more players!

But even if we have no more signups (deadline is November 5th), I'm thinking that we can still have fun just between the four of us!

Keep the sign-ups coming PLEASE!
    Netta

• debbiedo7
    17 years ago

Ok I'm in on this, it sounds like fun.
    My likes are Angels, shiny baubles, roses
    Colors are GOLD, pink, purple, red, burgundy LOL anything but green or yellow.

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Debbiedo7...I am sooo glad to have you aboard...I as beginning to think this would be a very small affair...well, it still is LOL, but it's just a little bit larger now. Thanks for joining!
    Netta

I will be posting who will send to who on November 6th.

• galium
    17 years ago

Hi Netta,
    I'd like to join too. I love the holidays and I enjoy crafting.
    Mariann

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Mariann...really happy to have you here! Don't forget to post your color schemes (and themes if you have em)

Thanks!
    Netta

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Current Player List

NETTASAURA
    NUMBER_1_ANGEL
    ELSIE_MS
    LAURELIN
    DEBBIEDO7
    GALIUM - please post your color schemes & any themes you have

So we have a total of 6 players to date with plenty of time left for new signups!

Remember Signup deadline is November 5th!

We look forward to hearing from any new players!

Netta

• galium
    17 years ago

Hi,
    Kitchen-Yellow
    Bathroom-Greens (pale)
    Other rooms-greens, browns and blue's
    I don't use bright colors except around the holidays. My ornaments are a hodge podge with no rhyme or reason. Many of them are gifts we've been given. We put up a very small tree these days. So any ornaments will have to be small. Can't wait for grandchildren...
    So almost anything goes. My favorite color is purple (all shades) and I am going to be redecorating a bedroom using those colors.
    Hope that's helpful
    Mariann

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Laurelin...please contact me with your email...I have no way to reach you!
    Netta

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

Hi,
    Please add me to your list. This sounds like my kind of swap. LOVE Victoriana.
    thanks,
    Jo/juspeachy

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi juspeachy! Great to have you! Please remember to post your color schemes and any themes you might have!

By the way, I have already started decorating for Christmas so I have myself in the right frame of mind....I am ready and waiting to go....

There is still more time for Signups!

Netta

• elsie_ms
    17 years ago

I getting jittery waiting for the exchange to start, I just love exchanges. As a matter of fact my first one was at thathomesite. Been about 7yrs. now.
    Waiting somewhat patiently.
    Elsie

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Elsie....know what you mean.....I can't wait to start...I want to draw the names to see who's sending to who already, but as host I need to be patient...there is after all the chance that we might have a few more signups by the 5th!

Netta

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

Hi,
    Sorry it took me a while to get back here, just had a new grandson, so it is difficult to tear myself away. He has been having some issues, so he is back in the hospital, so been running to see him and DD and her fiance'. He should be coming home tomorrow.

Sorry, I digress,

I love burgundy,rose,dark green and cream, or any combination of them.

I have been looking through all my fabrics and craft supplies to see what I have available. And boy, do I have lots of goodies to choose from, got lots of ideas. I am ready to go.
    (smiles)

Jo/juspeachy

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

JO...congrats on the new Grandbaby...hope he's doing much better!

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Jo! Good to hear from you again. Congratulations on the grandson, he must be adorable. I hope his health issues clear up quickly.

Netta, you've got mail!

Laurel

• galium
    17 years ago

Jo,
    Congratulations on the new grandson.

Mariann

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Look at what I got done last night! Click on the thumbnail for a larger pic!
    {{gwi:1302203}}

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Only five days left for new signups, so if you were thinking about joining, do so now!

• carmelita1
    17 years ago

Good evening ladies...

Forgot my password and ended up having to re register again! Anyways, please count me in on this swap Netta.

Don't really have any particular theme going on at home or even favorite colors and actually do not have any Victorian decorations other than a few Xmas ornaments. SO...anything goes with me and I am easily pleased.

Trying to keep inspired to craft as I cannot stop now- too many supplies on hand and I hate wasting. Like doing swaps that are one on one so this should be a fun one.

Elsie, are you Elsie Robinson from THS of years ago? If so, I still have my ornaments that we swapped!!!

Thanks,
    Carmen

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Carmen! Welcome aboard!

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

Hi All,

DGS is doing much better, he is home and is eating well.
    thank you to all for the well wishes.

Netta,
    Your tree is beeeeee-u-tiful.

I wanted to add that this year, I am doing an all white tree with rose,pink and cream victorian decorations.
    Eventually I want to get those lights that are pink roses with a white light in the center to put on it.I have always wanted to have a white tree, now I finally have one. It belonged to my mom, so it has to go up this year in honor of her memory.

have a great night everyone,
    Jo

• elsie_ms
    17 years ago

Yes, Carmen. It's me, don't you just hate it when your brain won't let you remember your password? As a matter of fact I was just wondering what happened to you. Glad to be back in contacted again. Take Care
    Elsie

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

morning everyone,
    just a quick post to keep this on page one of the board.

Jo/juspeachy

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Girls!! I know you have all been waiting so patiently....today is the last day for signups, even though chances of any new signups are kinda slim...so as of this evening this thread will be closed.

Tomorrow morning, I will post the list of partners and any additional information that you may need to know. My son is very excited about helping mommy draw names out of a hat! And since we ended up (barring any new signups today)with an even number of players, we will be doing a straight buddy system where you will be assigned a partner and will be crafting for each other. Can't wait to talk to all of you tomorrow.........
    Netta

• elsie_ms
    17 years ago

Well Netta, I am sure glad it's time to get my creative juices started. And to be crafting for someone I know is even better.
    Elsie

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

post to the update thread from now on...let this one fall off the board...