Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattygrow5

NEW: part 2 5th annual whats left on my want list swap sign-

pattygrow5
14 years ago

Here we are with our 2nd thread and we didn't even finish sign-ups yet we are up to 49 players so far and have 9 more days for sign-ups

THE LAST DAY FOR SIGN-UPS IS OCTOBER 10TH

the way this goes is first you sign up then go to your seed list and update your WANT LIST updating your have list is optional because we will not need that for the swap

I will send you an e-mail with my address if you e-mail is blocked thru garden web either unblock it or e-mail me directly with your e-mail address you are not offically signed up until I e-mail you back

everyones want list should be updated by the 10th make a notation with the date so we know it's done because we all know we keep adding LOL

You start checking all the players lists when the sign-ups are closed Angie will start a thread with a list of all the players that is clickable so you can go to one place to check all of the lists

On the list there will a number next to each persons name in the order that they signed up please put the gardenweb name and the number on the seeds who they are for

There is a limit of 250 packs of seeds that EACH person can send any more than that makes it too hard to find enough different things to send back to one person

I will not send you doubles of any seed unless you request it

You get back as many seeds as you send we may add a few extras if possible so remember if you have 100 packs of seeds sent for you and you sent only 20 you will only get 20 I try to pick the best ones.

Only seeds that are on peoples want list can be sent unless it is a special request from someone and those need to be marked special request and who they are for

Everyone seems to be happy I aim to please

You send the seeds to me with enough postage to mail the seeds back to you so whatever it cost you to mail is the postage you include with a self addressed sticker inside so I can put it on over my address to send back to you also put a note with your gardenweb name inside if you want delivery confirmation you need to add an extra 75 cents I think that is what it costs now

The seeds have to be sent no later than the 25th of November we will try to get them back to within 2 weeks of getting the last pack of seeds

This is a seed swap not a root or cutting swap so please don't send those to be passed on

Also don't e-mail people to send you seeds from their list unless they post that you can if you see something you want on someones list put it on your want list and if they have it they can send it to you

Thanks for joining welcome back to my regulars and to the new players one year and you are hooked

Patty

Comments (150)

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Neohippie :)

I know for one I save my own seed on a lot of my items. And many seeds can only be found via someone who has taken the time and care to save them from year to year. So offering seed from your own garden is a wonderful thing :)

And I don't think anyone will mind leftover commercial seeds either :) cause that's where a lot of trades come from :)

And actually, if you send items of the same type, to different people, your send in list may surprise you and end up longer than your wants list lol. I see a few things on your want list that I have, so take a look at others wants and maybe you can match up some of your haves :)

Welcome aboard :) This is a real fun swap!!

Toni

• dorisl
    14 years ago

Hi, Id like to be in this one. Im in for a smaller amount than last year, I dont have quite as much.

:)
    Doris

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    14 years ago

Please add me to the list. I'm still trying to read through all the posts to see how it works, but I'm in. I will have very few seeds to trade, but look forward to being a big participant in years to come!

Bonnie, I did notice those huge asclepias tuberosas. They are are my "want" list for sure as I am trying to make some butterfly friends! I am about to purchase the red tropical butterfly weed seeds and can share them with you!

Deanna

• pattygrow5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all sorry for being gone for so long but we had a death in the family so Angie and Diana were covering for me thanks girls
    we are now up to 64 players
    welcome to all of the new sign-ups
    micyrey-esiuol-threeshy acres I was wondering where you 3 were I didn't think you would miss you are 3 of my every year players

dorisl and ibartoo I see you finally got signed in
    jacoblily I knew Angie would talk you into I hear you are coming over with Angie to help did she tell you to wear a hat because I will be pulling everyones hair out before we are done
    We have a great group here for those of you that are new you are in for a lot of fun and these girls send some great seeds
    By the way beauswatch e-mailed me she deceided to drop out
    neohippie commercial seeds and garden harvested are great and old seeds to like 2007 as long as they are stored right are good
    sandlapper-rose you only have to put # next to a seed if you have that seed coming thru a private request make sure you mark the private requests who they are for and that they are a private requests so they go to that player
    like with Alanas marigolds beautiful just put them on your list like I did don't mark them
    I have another request if you have you want list updated please mark that and the date you updated and if you add anything new put it on the top of the list and mark added on Oct.06 or whatever day you added them that way if someone has already checked your list they can go right to the top to see anything new you have added I know I have started looking at lists because when the seeds start coming in it's hard for me to find time to do so . I guess this is all for now Thanks for joining I know you will love it
    Patty

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I updated my have list to share with you all, so you might want to double-check it and add some more things to your wants. ;-)

Some of the seeds that I know I have more of to share are:

Asparagus Pea / Winged Pea [C] (not asparagus or a pea, but pretty & delicious)
    Basil - Cinnamon [C]
    Basil - Compact [C]
    Basil - Lime [C]
    Bean - Jacob's Gasless [C]
    Beet - Golden [C]
    Convolvulus - Blue Enchantment [C]
    Corn Salad [C]
    Cypress Vine - Maiden's Feather [C] (different colored flowers on same vine of light pink, rose, white, and scarlet)
    Herb - Cilantro Slow Bolt [C]
    Herb - Florence Fennel [C]
    Herb - Lovage "Magnus" [C]
    Herb - Russian Tarragon [C]
    Herb - Spanish Tarragon / Sweet Mace [C]
    Herb - Sweet Marjoram [C]
    Herb - Thyme, Orange Scented [C]
    Kale - Black Tuscany [C]
    Kale - Scarlet [C]
    Lettuce - Tom Thumb [C]
    Melon - Honeydew [G]
    Oregano - True Greek [C]
    Pea - Snowbird [C]
    Soapwort - Trailing [C]
    Soybean - Elena [C]
    Squash - Sweet Dumpling [G]
    Strawberry - Alpine [C]
    Sunberry (Solanum Burbankii) [C] (this is Luther Burbank's special Huckleberry, best flavor)
    Swede [C]

For my full have list, see my trade page. I do have some flowers, but mostly herbs/veggies/fruit. The ones I have smaller amounts of aren't listed above, but I still have some to share. If you want something, add it to your want list and don't post here or email me, please, as I won't be on the computer much from Friday on. I'm doing a lot of cross-country traveling right now. I'll try to make sure as many people as possible get them that have them on their want list.

Patty, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm thankful you have some people to share the responsibility of this swap with you. Please, take the time you need with your family.

Blessings,
    Angela

• pattygrow5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I forgot neohippie you must e-mail me directly so I have your e-mail address
    We are up to 65 now with Deanna
    Patty

• pufftrinket
    14 years ago

ummm...

Just popped in to say I am looking forward to participating in the next "what's on my wnat list" swap. I had such agood time last year. I have planted ALL the seeds I received. So, thanks for doing this for all of us. I would participate in this one, but I am down to only hollyhock seeds right now. :-)
    Jessie

• quiltingfox
    14 years ago

I would like to join this swap. Please send me an email.

Best to you,
    quiltingfox

• perennialfan273
    14 years ago

Hightransplant

Is the gay butterflies mix hardy through zone 5?? If yes, I would LOVE to have some of your seeds. Please mark me down!

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Yep, I believe they may even be hardy to zone 4. I'll put your name on some.

Oh, and Angelady, I've added that Spanish Tarragon/Sweet Mace to my wishlist : )

Bonnie

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Quick question for Patty and Angie...I've seen some requests for garlic on seed wish lists and I was wondering if you would consider the cloves or bulbils in this swap or not? I do realize it says "seeds only" which is why I am asking.

Toni

• agirlsgirl
    14 years ago

Only 2 More Days until sign up and list updating deadline!

Good Morning! :)

I am so glad to see everyone having a good time already! Welcome to our new players and please remember to reply to Patty's email she sends you!:)

To everyone that doesn't fully understand how it works,just ask, or if you prefer not to ask,I will be posting a big refresher with the clickable links. So you will get it one way or another! ;) Once you start packing up seeds and we go along,you will see it is a very simple swap. Patty has a pretty much flawless system and this particular swap does excellent each year,there are many repeat players here.So if by chance you are someone that is still tossing it around, and you know you can fill some wants, and you'd also like to get your hands on some of those seeds that you've wanted for so long,go ahead and join us! You will have a blast! :)

Jeanne ,putting your name on the list is not something you have to do,it is just something some of us like to do to get rid of some of the seeds we have alot of. I personally do not have my name on that list, because, I know I am not going to have time to get it together and answer emails.We are only asking that you put the # next to seeds you know for sure you are receiving. So if you email ollierose and request one of her milkweeds and she says she will send it through the swap,than that is when you go to your want list,enter the seed requested and put the # next to it. Or if you see a seed on someones have list that you already have on your want list,and the person is one of those that does not mind being contacted, you contact them with a request,they agree to send it,you just put the # next to the seed on your list. If you request a seed and you dont know for sure if you are going to receive it,just leave out the #. We dont want to see anyone miss out on a much wanted seed. I hope this clarifies it a bit for you,I am glad you spoke up,we dont want anyone to be in the dark! :)

neohippie I agree with Patty and Toni,commercial seeds and fresh harvest seeds are great to send in,some people only want commercial seed of certain seeds and I dont know anyone that says no to freshly harvested seed!;)
    Did you see my want list?...lol....A big want list is very helpful to those trying to fill some wishes. The more you have on there the better chance of receiving a good amount of your wants! I know there is no way I will receive all those on my want list,but a girl can dream! Have fun and fill that list! :D

Bonnie, Those are great pics! I know the Monarchs were swarming at your place! :)

Jessie,sorry you cant join us this year! Are you sure you dont have any leftovers from trades? Any neighbors willing to let you harvest seed? :)

UPDATE:List of Players That Do Not Mind Requests From Their Lists: ~pattygrow5 ~just1morehosta ~vikingkirken ~austinnhanasmom ~jaynine ~conniesc ~chemocurl ~sandysgardens ~morguegirl ~gmom2\-6boys ~tammyinwv ~slo\_garden ~dirtdiggin ~stage\_rat ~proudgm\_03 ~paulan70 ~suecirish ~jas\_il ~alwaysagarden ~lisam627\_ohio\_z6
  • agirlsgirl
    14 years ago

Hi Toni! I am not sure what Patty will say on that one. I am sure the bulbils would be ok,the cloves would be fine with me,but they will be stored at Patty's house,so that really is up to her! I hope she is ok with them,because I would love to try your garlic! ;)

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

LOL well I had to purchase in some larger qty's than I really wanted. So I thought I'd ask. I'll keep them out until Patty says yes or no ;)

Toni

• neohippie
    14 years ago

Toni, I just made the mistake of looking at your have list and now I think I'm going to have to expand my want list a bit more. :-o

I think I might send in some of my older seeds that are still good, if that's ok (I'd put some extra in the pack). Some of my seeds from 2005 or 2006 are still germinating great. I actually planted waaaay too much swiss chard this fall because I didn't think the seeds were good anymore so I planted a whole lot, and then most of them germinated!

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    14 years ago

How many seeds constitute a "pack?"

• ollierose
    14 years ago

neohippie - I think most of us are fine with slightly older seeds as long as they've been stored properly. I know I am - I wintersowed seeds from 2000 this past year with great results!

deanna - it really depends on what kind of seed they are. For example, most people would be happy with 3-5 seeds of a very rare type of seed. I wouldn't send in 3-5 seeds of basil or coneflower for example.

jodi - sorry if I posted a welcome yesterday like you were new to the swap! I didn't recognize your id until I was going through my spreadsheet from last years swap and saw you on there. I should have said "welcome back!"

I'm sure that Patti and/or Angie will chime in to answer your questions and I wouldn't take my input as final word. Just my opinion!

• vikingkirken
    14 years ago

I second the request about garlic... I have a little bit leftover from an order I received this fall, and I would love to bless others with it. I didn't think about that until I'd already done most of my planting, so these are the smaller cloves, but they are neat varieties and should still grow fine, just smaller bulbs the first year!

Lori

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

Well, I'm one of those with garlic on my want list - though I wasn't expecting to receive any in this swap. But now I see several want to offer it - so please send it my way!

If our hostess doesn't want to deal with it as part of the trade, let me know and I'll be happy to send postage.

Thanks!

~CA

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

I'd be happy to send some your way CA. It would just be so much easier to include it in this swap, but either way, I've got you down ;)

Toni

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

I'll request garlic, too, if we decide it can be added to this swap. I am going to put it on my want list right now!

Thanks for the extra information about the swap. I have it all figured out now.
    Jeanne

• slo_garden
    14 years ago

Question: I haven't had many email requests for specific varieties of heirloom tomatoes, but I see several people have a general "heirloom tomatoes","good sauce tomato", etc. on their want list. Should I pick out some to send in designated for those people, send some in as "bonus" seed for anyone who wants them, or only send in those varieties that are specifically requested on people's want lists? I have LOTS of seed of most of the varieties on my have list, so anyone who thinks that they may want some tomatoes, speak up! (BTW I'd love some garlic too, if it gets the okay).

• bhnash
    14 years ago

I don't mind requests from my list :)

• pattygrow5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all
    TONI- sure send the garlic I added garlic to my list I would love some
    SLOGARDEN-if it says heirloom tomato or good paste tomato that is a want so it counts as a want send it

Angie was mistaken you don't have to e-mail me back after you get the e-mail from me only if you don't get one
    Patty

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Sounds GREAT Patty, I'll put those wants on my list to send :)

Toni

14 years ago

stage_rat - Thanks for the info on PaperBackSwap.com! I just love that site! I put your email address as my referrer, so hopefully you'll get a credit for me joining when I add my ten books to trade. I'll do that when I get home.

Those who have garlic - I added it to my want list, too, but haven't updated my list quite yet. I'll publish the update by tomorrow.

Blessings,
    Angela

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

LOL Angela, I have you down ;)

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

me too me too me too!!! lol

(garlic..)

We loveee garlic around here!!! :)

hugs,
    Wendy / sassyb...

• alwaysagarden
    14 years ago

Just wanted to let everyone know who may be interested I have 3 types of single hollyhocks available, all really pretty colors. I have 9 packets of ea. color

HH Single Lilac Purple (9) packets left
    HH Single Bright Pink (9) packets left
    HH Single Dark Red (9) packets left

Let me know if you would like any and I will mark them with your name and set them aside.

Cindy : )

• bhnash
    14 years ago

Oooooh, I'd love a pack of the lilac purple hollyhocks Cindy :) Emailing you...

14 years ago

I almost forgot to mention that I have an abundance of:

Desert Bird of Paradise / Yellow Bird of Paradise

If you want them, add them to your wants, please. I will be checking every list twice, I promise. There's a link below my signature for those that want to know more.

It's a hardy perennial up to zone 6 from what I've researched. It's very low maintenance and very drought tolerant.

Blessings,
    Angela

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Angela, I'd love to try some of the Desert Bird of Paradise / Yellow Bird of Paradise I'll put it on my list :)

Toni

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Ok...question here. I don't think it was addressed above, or I'm just confused (as usual).

Ok....so Janedoe emails me, and says she would like SEED-A and SEED-B. I mark them as 'special request' and put them in a ziplock with Janedoe's # on it, once the numbers are assigned. Well then I also see that I have other things on her wish list, but they are not listed on my HAVE list, but are from my secret stash. Do I then enclose them in the Special Request baggie?
    I also see I have other things on her wish list, that are posted on my 'HAVE' list, though she did not request them. Can/should I also send them as 'Special Request' seeds, or in another baggie with her name/number on it and just label it FROM HER WISH LIST or something?

I want to do this right. I fear Janedoe might only send in 20 packs, and she has made requests from others for 20 packs. I don't want to bump out any of her 'special requests'. See what I mean?

Maybe I just have one baggie for Janedoe and SEED A and SEED B packs are marked Spec request, and the rest are just in her baggie, but not marked as special....think?

It's exciting to see so many familiar faces (names) as well as so many that are new to me. I'm getting excited.

Note...I will be away from the computer a lot between Oct10th and Oct 19th. If anyone emails a special request, don't be concerned if I don't reply very soon and it looks like might be ignoring you.

Sue

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Sue I think I can answer that one...

I have a batch from my not listed stash too. All count toward the bottom line. Just send the ones from your special stash as regular requests, cause they are on JaneDoe's list. Just 'cause you don't have them on your haves list....which many participants don't even have a haves list, they are just counted toward that participants want list...if they sent in enough to cover what you sent for them. If they aren't used for JaneDoe, they are put in the pot for those that didn't have so many sent in for them. So those seeds will cover the person who sent in 250 pkgs, but only had 200 sent in for them. I hope that makes sense. I believe that special requests will be answered before the haves list, so the others would just go into the general pot if that person doesn't have enough sent in to have those seeds sent to them.

What JaneDoe receives depends on what JaneDoe sends in.

Toni

• alwaysagarden
    14 years ago

bhnash... set aside a packet of lilac purple hollyhocks for you. : )

Cindy

14 years ago

Thanks Toni. I got it, now if I can just remember it until the time in Nov when I'll be packing them all.

I feel like such a noob and appreciate the helpful answers explained so well.

Sue

14 years ago

WoooHooooo! I have my wants list finally updated!... or, at least as good as it's gonna get anyways. Boy, I didn't realize how much work goes into a crazy long list like I have! LOL

Blessings,
    Angela

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

BHNASH, I have a packet a stachys hummello put aside for you. I don't have the other two that you asked for.

Lisa

• ollierose
    14 years ago

Good morning everyone! Happy Friday!

FYI - I've added some new things to my "have" list and will probably add more tonight and Saturday. I would say you could consider my "have" list updated by this Sunday morning. Be sure to add anything you're interested in to your "want" list. I may not have a large amount of some things, but I will do my best to please everyone! I'm planning to start going through "want" lists on Sunday, but will double check again before I finalize packing everything up.

It's supposed to rain ALL weekend long here - what a bummer! I was really hoping to get a lot more done in the yard before my plants arrive from my trade with Angie next week! The only good thing about the rain is that I can focus on this swap and get a little head start on packing up seeds!

Diana :)

• neohippie
    14 years ago

Slogarden: "I see several people have a general "heirloom tomatoes","good sauce tomato", etc. on their want list. Should I pick out some to send in designated for those people, send some in as "bonus" seed for anyone who wants them, or only send in those varieties that are specifically requested on people's want lists?"

Speaking just for myself, though I am assuming others are like me, when I put something general like "sauce tomato" on my want list, it means I'm leaving it up to you to pick one out for me. There's so much out there that I don't want to limit myself to just varieties I have heard of, in case you have something great that I haven't heard of, or maybe I'm just not picky about exactly which one I get.

So... I would say do the first thing you mentioned.

• ollierose
    14 years ago

I've put some pictures of Cleo on Photo Bucket if you'd like to take a look at them!

Diana

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

Hi, folks!

My opinion on a typical pack of seeds would be 20-25, and fewer for large, rare or expensive seeds. Many times tomato, pepper, and eggplant seeds are more like 12-15 seeds. Counting out poppy or foxglove seeds is a pain, but a tiny pinch is about 40-50, so I do that. Some people measure out 1/8 teaspoons or 1/4 teaspoons of tiny seeds. I don't have a 1/8t spoon, and 1/4t is a large proportion of my seeds.

If you're agonizing over whether or not to send in just a few of a seed, you can always ask the recipient, or you can use the gardenweb list search. Search for people who also have that seed, and read the list for people in this swap. If a couple of us have it, you don't need to worry about dividing up your small supply. You find the Search Lists function by clicking at the bottom of the page on Member Pages, and then choose Search Members' Exchange Lists.

That is also a way to figure out who to send to, by searching for people looking for a seed you have. However, sometimes someone will type "No datura, please" but the computer just sees that "datura" is in the wants area. So this search can get you started, but you should still personally check. :)

GARLIC: I'd love to try some different hardnecks! Cloves or even bulbils. Cloves are big--should we plan to send somewhat roomy envelopes and extra postage money to pay for getting the cloves to us? I grow two hardneck types and can offer bulbils, unfortunately I don't know the names. On seems to be a porcelain, one a rocambole. (One has a ton of tiny bulbils, one has larger bulbils, so please correct me if you think I'm wrong). You plant the bulbils at the same time as big garlic, and then dig it up the next year when it yellows the right amount. Then you replant it in fall, unless you want to eat the baby garlic. In my reading, it seems pretty definite that if you leave garlic in the ground without digging and replanting, it just splits into smaller bulbs and is less and less what you intended when you planted it. That happened to my mom.

Dorisl, it's nice to see you here! I'll try to find good pink stuff to send your way. :)

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

haha! The 'finished with the vet' pic is priceless! That one's definitely a keeper! I also loved the 'peekaboo' soo cute!

looks like you're really enjoying your new lil one! :)

hugs all!
    Wendy / sassyb...

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

I just came back to write the same thing! It is sooooo funny!

• bhnash
    14 years ago

I have some rarer seeds in a limited amount (30 - 40 seeds) that a lot of people have on their want lists. How should I go about choosing who to send them too? Should I try to get everyone and they each only get a few seeds? Or should I choose 3 people and give them 10-15 seeds each? What would you do?

• ollierose
    14 years ago

That tongue sticking out cracked me up too! It's like she's saying "Wow, I made it out of there alive! Thank goodness!"

I am definitely having fun with her!

14 years ago

I have some rarer seeds in a limited amount (30 - 40 seeds) that a lot of people have on their want lists. How should I go about choosing who to send them too? Should I try to get everyone and they each only get a few seeds? Or should I choose 3 people and give them 10-15 seeds each? What would you do?
    bhnash,
    I think it would sort of depend on what the actual seeds were, their source (saved, commercial, or from trade), hybrid or not, the year they were collected, bought, or received in trade, etc.

Are the seeds on your HAVE list?

Feel free to drop me an email with the details from above, and I'll do my best to answer you. I will not mention to anyone what the seeds are, scouts honor. Please post here if you email me, as the GW email system has been a bit unreliable for some, or else just email me from your email program and leave GW mail out of it.

Oh Ollie...Cleo cracks me up. Aren't puppies fun even if they are a good bit of responsibility and work?

Sue

• pattygrow5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have done this swap every year this is my 5th I take time and answer the questions if I don't answer Angie does some people are not reading the posts they keep asking the same questions after they were already answered I am not the type of person to get upset (ask the people who do this swap every year)
    PLEASE READ THE POSTS
    Also do not use this swap to ask other players for SASBE offers this is a swap not a freebie give away
    Sorry if I hurt anyones feelings but this is my swap I have been doing it the same way every year and I think everyone likes it the way it is.
    We are here to have fun and I would like to have fun too!
    I will be starting a new thread because this one is getting to the maximum number.
    Patty

• kilngod
    14 years ago

bhnash,
    I'd pick a few people and send 8-12 each. For me, that is a great amount of harder-to-find seeds, enough to get a couple plants even in you kill a few (lol). Three is tougher - they may end up with none grown up. Remember that in the end, if those people you send packs in for didn't send in enough - those packs will go to the others who wanted them.

There may be other people sending that seed in too. Many of us will be in the same boat with the "fancy seeds". If we all try to cover everyone, then everyone who wanted it gets 3 seeds, as well as 20 additional people who didn't specifically want it.

Keep the stash a little bit "concentrated". It'll all work out in the end.

Anyway, that's my approach with that particular challenge.

--Tina

• ollierose
    14 years ago

Filled right up to the top!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)