Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth_b_kodiak

12 month seed swap October

beth_b_kodiak
17 years ago

We are now officially into the fourth quarter of the year. Lots of fall festivals and harvest fests going on and lots happening in the garden. I am reading an excellent book "Autumn in the Garden'. I borrowed it from the library but have already ordered a copy for myself and one for my daughter. So many beautiful pictures of fall blooming plants and so many things I wnat to try in my garden.

I looked for Gallardia fanfare at the garden center this weekend but did not see any. Guess I'll have to wait and see what I get from the seeds Mellen sent.

I did buy a white pumpkin and I'll be saving seeds from that. If you find an especially pretty ornamental corn or gourd or pumpkin it would be fun to share the seeds after the fall season is over. Maybe we could all grow our own decorations for next year. That should be fun. One of the gals at the plant swap had bags full of gourds to give away... what fun.

Back to business here. Please post when you send and receive your seeds for the month. Only three months left in this swap. It has been fun and I'm already planning where things will go in next years garden.

BB

Comments (36)

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

Mornin' Beth
    That's a great idea on the pumpkins--I bought a huge one- dark green/w yellow blush for my deck--I never thought about saving the seeds-I love fall-halloween--just smelling the fall air is wonderful--applebutter from the orchard--yum!
    Jeanette

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Ahhhhh, the fall air. I agree Jeanette, it is so refreshing.
    Living in a farming community, you can smell everything being harvested. The air just feels good.

Sharon - your Oct. seeds are going out in the morning.
    I tried to pick things from your list. I hope they do wonderful for you!

Tina

• cassiet
    17 years ago

Carol,
    You package for Sept was sent on Sat. if you didn't get it today then you should get it tomorrow. I sent it confirmation delivery

Cassie

• cassiet
    17 years ago

Carol you did say thank you for the gift certificate. I was just wondering what you had been able to get with it and that is why I ask. I ordered some seeds during their one cent sale but not many packs.

Cassie

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A one cent sale ?!?!?! Oh No!!! How did I manage to miss that. I bet there were dozens of seeds that I needed and I missed my chance.
    Mercy me, will I ever have enough seeds?
    Jeanette I have no plan of what to send you this month. Usually I have it set up with seeds waiting for the next couple of months but Not now. I could send M&Ms and let you plant a chocolate tree.
    I'm off to put on my thinking cap.
    OK now, everybody be sure to post when the seed companies are having special sales. Ya Hear??
    Beth B

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jeanette, I think i figured out something to send you for this month.
    I need to locate the seeds. I remember collecting and stashing them.... now to find them again.
    Wish I had seeds for those big smelly vodoo lilies. Bet they'd be a hit there at your apartment???? Oh, you wanted stuff that smells good, not just plain smells. OOOps, sorry about that.

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

Oh Beth--'YOU SO FUNNY'--hahahahaha!!--do they really stink?? Guess I don't know much about them--but I always love what you send--so now you have my interests piqued!!! And yes--I prefer something smelling good to something smelling bad!! Good thing we don't live closer--with our 'onreyness' (is that a word??) we'd be a force to be reckoned with-hahahah!!

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Sharon -

I added a couple extra seeds in this one just incase the other envie doesn't show. They should be there in a couple of days! Hope you enjoy :-)
    Tina

• darlene87
    17 years ago

My seeds from Sharon, toomanyanimals, came today. It had a super great homemade greeting card, with a garden theme. She sent two pkg. of sunflower seeds, moulon rouge, and toker sunflame, and also a pkg. of drlaya grandiflora. Have to look up that last one, as I am unfamiliar with it. I am getting Cassie's seeds ready, but also in the middle of granddaughter's wedding next week, so very busy. Thank you so much Sharon, I know that I will enjoy the sunflowers, as they are one of my favorite flowers.
    Darlene

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

Darlene,
    My handwriting must have been just horrible!!! It is not toker sunflame, but is Joker Sunflower. LOL

I wish I could say I made that card, but I found them at a garage sale and thought they were just perfect for things such as this. :o)

Sharon

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Cassie, We keep missing each other, I thanked you for the gift certif, haven't used it yet, only have their bulb catalogue want seeds, how did I miss the one cent sale ? I also thanked you for the 11 wonderful tulip bulbs I received for september. Cassie is a wonderful pal and has sent something wonderful each month, 15.00 gift certif to parks for my b day, extra seeds each month, 11 mixed tulip bulbs for sept. hope you see this one cassie, I think the problem may be that you send the last part of the month, so I post in the month it was for and you check in new thread, from now on I will do both, don't want you to miss how happy your gifts make me. sorry hugs carol

• cassiet
    17 years ago

Laughing and smiling.. Carol, I see your posts and am not at all upset. I saw where you got the gift certificate in July. Since I didn't send an item I was just asking to see what you got for yourself with it. I check both posts so you can just post on one and I will see. See I haven't been on much in past couple of months. Busy first then had surgery and not on at all... my garden went to POT because I can't do anything until Oct. 22. TERRIBLE!!! I got some bulbs and I really want to put them out. Gonna make my child do this and if I live I will post later!!!!

I will get my October package out earlier this month I hope

Cassie

• darlene87
    17 years ago

Sharon, forget your spelling! My eyes are not that great also, so mispelled moulon, should be moulin, and that last plant was Orlaya, not drlaya. Had a fun time looking it up tho, because of mispelling. I have eye surgery in Dec., so maybe I can see better then, I hope. I use a magnifying glass most of the time. I plan to winter sow some of the seeds that you sent me, when it stops raining. Our first rain for a long time. Thank you again, and I am positive that I will enjoy the sunflowers!
    Cassie, your pkg. is on it's way tomorrow.
    Darlene

• atravers
    17 years ago

Mary Ellen,
    Dropped your October packet off at the post office this morning. Happy October!
    Ann

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

Tina,
    I got my October envelope. Thank you so much for the wonderful seeds. They were all from my 'want' list ... smiling gardener here!

So you are planning a cutting garden too next year? I just want to have enough to cut for my own table, so the zinnias will be great.

Don't worry about last month, someone at the post office is probably going to start gardening next summer and is all set now. LOL

Darlene, I'm glad you like the seeds. I try to do a little winter sowing each year. Hubby doesn't like the milk jugs sitting outside our back door, so I try to keep it down to only 4 or 5.

Sharon

• mellen
    17 years ago

WooHoo, Ann, I got the seeds. I am sooo excited to have received Astrantia-ruby cloud, Heuchera-new hybrids, and Pumpkin-BATWING MIX!!!!! You knew that I wanted the batwing. Thank you, thank you. And the astrantia is one of those spooky coincidences. I had ordered this very plant from Breck's the last 2 planting seasons. BOTH times the plants died on me within a couple of weeks so the company finally gave up and sent me a money coupon. I was not happy to say the least. But now you send me the seeds for it. Wow!!! Thrilled to say the least! And heucheras are one of my 4 or 5 plant addictions. Ann, you just seem to send the perfect seeds every time. I am so appreciative! Mary Ellen

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Sharon -

So glad you liked your seeds! :-)
    I wonder where the other envie went?
    I'm thinking I may not have put enough postage on it.
    I don't know why I forgot, but I sent out a seed trade last Thursday, and it came back to me on Saturday with "insufficient postage stamped on it. I only put 49 cents on it....Maybe I did that with your Sept. package?? Who knows with me, LoL

It's colddddddddd here tonight. I can see my breath in front of my face.
    We are suppose to have the rain turn to ice, and then snow by Thursday. Not looking too forward to it, but at least I got the yard someone finished before all of this for once.
    I still have one canna to get dug up. I lost them all last year :-(. THis one is only 8 or so inches tall. I really just found it a few days ago. It actaully overwintered! I'm saving this year, LoL.
    I wonder which one it is......

Stay warm, and enjoy the changing of the foliage!
    Tina

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Just giving this a bump before it rolls off the page.
    Where is everyone?

Tina

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

Beth--I am so excited about the 'little' guys you sent--we are having a wet cold couple of days but friday will be 65/70 so they will be going in the ground!! You told me some would be white--but not what they are?? I might put them in my big patio container so I can see them every morning when they bloom!
    Thanks sooooooooo much
    Jeanette

• cassiet
    17 years ago

Park Seed has the 1 cent sale on their internet web page again. Not many varieties left but may be worth a look to some of you guys. Link is up in the left hand corner

Cassie

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

Cassie,
    I'm not seeing a 1 cent sale. Only the $1.00 sale and that has been there for a long time. Am I missing something?
    sharon

• veeja11
    17 years ago

I received my envie from cassie today trillum and iris cassiata. thankyou cassie I love them, you are a number 1 pal. thankyou hugs carol

• mellen
    17 years ago

Beth, your seeds went out in Friday's mail. Mary Ellen

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

Hi Bonnie--your seeds went out sat morning--Hope you enjoy them!
    Jeanette

• gardnwatch
    17 years ago

Jeanette..
    What good timing.

Yes, I did receive them just today.

Gosh... what a nice envelope you sent.!! three of my favorite things... chocolate, tea and seeds.

I truly love the herb seeds you sent , along with the
    Mummy's Passion tea and the homemade fudge. Just in time
    for Halloween. That was a great idea..

You've sent the best envelopes.. thank you so very much.
    Bonnie

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Kathy your seeds should be there. are they? hugs carol

• rudybacon
    17 years ago

Carol, no seeds yet. Did you get my other messages that said the zip code is wrong? The are getting here but it takes a little longer.

Kathy

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Well, I posted earlier, but it's disappeared, LoL.

I think my pal has forgotten me. Oh well, I have more seeds than I do brains (no comment, LoL)

Sharon, your seeds will go out in Thursdays mail hun.

Hope you all had a safe and wonderful evening!
    Tina

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Sharon - I will not be sending today afterall, but will get them in the mail over the weekend.

Have a wonderful weekend all

Tina

• gardnwatch
    17 years ago

Ann,
    So sorry to keep you guessing again when you might receive seeds from me this month.
    I will try to get a seed package out to you tomorrow morning. I'll combine October's seeds with November's..so then I will be up to date again.
    I do hope all is well with your family and that you are feeling ok.
    Bonnie

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Kathy I did not see the zip code change. I hope your seeds get there if not let me know and I will resend, sorry. hugs carol

• mellen
    17 years ago

Beth, I am getting concerned. I sent your seeds one week ago today. Have they not arrived yet? Mary Ellen

• atravers
    17 years ago

Bonnie,
    There's no rush. You are so thoughtful. I have the seeds you've sent to me set aside in a favorite basket. You always send me such nice ones. Hope you're doing well.
    Ann

• rudybacon
    17 years ago

Hi again Carol, sorry I didn't post that I received your seeds. I guess in my mind after I posted about the zip code problem I thought I had told you that I received them.

Also, pattygrow, did you get my package? I haven't seen you post about them yet.

Kathy

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi everyone, My seeds for October did indeed arrive last week but I was busy playing and visiting. My daughter from Alaska made a short visit on very short notice but what a great visit we had. Surprises like that are even better than the ones that come in the mail. Maybe because they arrive so rarely.
    Many thanks to Mellen. She has been a great pal and a real friend thesse past couple years.

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

Sounds like you had a great time Beth!!! What a wonderful surprise--I feel so very lucky that my kids live close-by!
    I would post a new thread for you- for the November seed swap--but then all the replys would come here to work and I can't do that--sorry I can't help out with that--
    Just stopping by to catch up on the posts
    More later
    Jeanette

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner