Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iheartroscoe

UPDATE: Incredible Edibles November Swap Partners!

iheartroscoe
15 years ago

Below are everyone's partners for the November Swap.

Please email your partner to get their address! Packages should be mailed by November 7th. Bonechickchris/Christy had some personal issues to take care of, but still wanted to be in the swap. She wanted me to let everyone know that she might be a little late, but is definitely still in!

This swap will include vegetable seeds that are good for canning or storing along with your favorite canning recipe. The swap will be for 6 - 8 packages of seeds and a recipe.

Thanks for signing up everyone!

booberry85/Becky - iheartroscoe/Heather

sunnyk/Donna - ncgardengirl/Fran

ejmoore510/Joan - luvgardening2/Nancy

southerncharm1/Kathy - bonechickchris/Christy

frenchfrylegs1/Polly - veja11/Carol

Comments (54)

• iheartroscoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's crazy how fast this year went by! I can't believe my gardening season is over already.

And thanks for posting the site, Fran! It is a very helpful site.

• veeja11
    15 years ago

french fry legs I need your addy mine is carol bea 242 169th st e spanaway wa 98387. please e-mail me yours at veeja3@wmconnect.com
    thankyou
    carol

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

Okay I am back!!!
    My computer decided to take a personal week!! I kicked it and knocked that idea out of her head!!
    Carol is that East Spanaway or 169th street East?? email me with the answer
    I am here and have sent email to Carol if you don't get it Carol message me here and I will send it again. I am all ready for this one!! I have all my applesauce canned and pie filling made..28 jars this year maybe that will be enough! have anice day all I am off to work.
    Polly

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Hey Polly, Good to have you back :) !!

This is Applesauce week here too....how do you do Pie Filling? Normally I make pie from raw apples , but it would be fabulous to be able to extend the Apple Pie season by having the filling canned and ready to go.

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

I will post recipe. I have got to go get the durango inspected and if the electric is still on I will be back. It has been raining here all night and they are calling for SNOW !! yuk that can wait till next month.
    Here it is..with my tweaks..made it easier..and better tasting

Canned Apple Pie Filling
    Recipe #58703 : 55 min : 30 min prep : add private note
    : Edit...
    My Notes:

My Notes
    I used cidar instead of apple juice,(it tastes better).but have used juice and it tastes fine.
    I did not add 3/4 cup lemon to my final juice, sauce whatever you call it.
    and I used cornstarch instead of gelatin

It does not say to give a water bath so I don't think this recipe needs it, but if you want to, do it about 25 minutes in hot water bath.

Makes:: 7 quarts (change servings and units)

Ingredients
    7 quarts blanched sliced fresh apples
    5 1/2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 cups clear gelatin or cornstarch
    1 tablespoon cinnamon
    2 1/2 cups cold water
    5 cups apple juice or cidar
    3/4 cup bottled lemon juice (optional)
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    7 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
    Directions
    1.) Use firm crisp apples, such as golden delicious, Rome, Spy or other apples of similar quality.
    2.) Wash, peel and core the apples. Slice them about 1/2 inch wide and place in water containing ascorbic acid to prevent browning. Blanch 2 quarts at a time for 1 minute in boiling water. While blanching other apples, keep ones already blanched in covered pot to keep warm.
    3.)Combine the sugar, clear gelatin and cinnamon in large pot with the water and apple juice, food coloring and nutmeg. Stir and cook on medium high heat until the mixture thickens and begins to bubble.
    4.)Drain the apple slices from the water.
    5.)Add lemon juice to apple juice or cidar mixture and boil 1 minute more. Fold in the apple slices immediately and fill jars with mixture. Clean the rims and seal the jars

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Our Winner for Novembers Drawing is....

DONNA/SUNNYK!!! Congrats Donna, please email me with your address and I'll have your package out to you on Friday! :)

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Thanks for the pie Filling recipe Polly I can't wait to try it.....

And

AAAAaaaahhhhhh I won.... Oh My Garden ...This is so cool!!
    *bouncing in seat and breathing fast*

I am so happy !!! =D

And those boys make the thread even better with their gorgeous smiles :) It reminds me of when my son was little .....

Sending my address right away.

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Congratulations Donna! I'm sure you'll have fun with the seeds and the jars.

• iheartroscoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Congratulations Donna! I hope you enjoy the prize :)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Congrats Donna!!! I am sure you will enjoy the prize!

:) Fran

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Thanks all...I am still smiling :)

• iheartroscoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Becky, your package is almost ready to go out! Should go out on Monday. :)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Hi Heather, I was hoping to find a few more canning goodies for you. However, the stores around here seem to have stuffed them back in storage and have Christmas stuff out! I hope you'll like the things I picked out for you. I should be able to get them out early this coming week.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Well, I am working on Donna's items. I am not sure what to send her. I wanted something really GOOD, but when getting the stuff together I realized I just have the same old boring stuff.

I am hoping in the future to make a purchase of GOOD stuff to include!!! But for now, Donna I sure hope you are not disappointed with the package I send you.

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

I wont be disappointed...dont you worry Fran, I will absolutely love whatever you send me :)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Ok Donna, your package is on the way your DC# is 0308 1400 0000 2495 8051.
    Hope you can use at least SOME of what I sent :)!!!

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

I sent your package out today too :) the DC # is in the bedroom, and the dog and my hubby are napping(they couldnt stand having to wait an extra 45 minutes for dinner so sleeping was a good option LOL) so I will post it later tonight or tomorrow morning. And thanks for being my partner :)

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Ok...fed the troops....the DC# is : 0308 1400 0000 0107 7614

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

Donna whoohoo you won ..congrads.
    Carol,
    I am getting the box ready to send and havng the same problem the stores think no one is canning becuz the garden is froze...GRRR!
    I am finding some stuff, Booberry check the hardware stores, true value if you got one by you, they leave the stuff out longer!! I am sending mine friday as that is pay day around here so it should be there by tuesday. I hope everything is to your liking.

okay off to work I have got that darn honey to deal with, hubby decided to bring in 18 frames of the stuff for me to do. The bees were still working on it so we left it to the last minute, it actually frosted the night he brought it in! He was lucky! They( the bees) should have been done in august or september, but they were still finding food so we waited.
    Enough about them I am canning still...deer meat also have squash to freeze anyone else got squash and what do you do with it?? I need ideas have lots!
    Polly

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Polly honey you can add squash to just about any dish, it will take on the flavor of whatever you put it in. I use it to bulk up some stuff sometimes.
    You can add it to spaghetti sauce, stir-fry and things. I make Squashsagna with mine, instead of using noodles I use the squash as noodles. Family likes this better than real lasagna.

I like to boil some and add onion and a splash of milk then sprinkle cheese in it to make a sort of a stove top squash casserole.

Wish I still had some squash our plants got killed out by stupid squash bugs!!!!

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Wooohooo recieved my Special prize pack today...thanks to Kathy and Heather I now can freeze some of my stuff with out worrying about the containers!!and I got a bunch of nifty seeds too...I dont like rushing my life away, but I so cannot wait for next veggie season to begin LOL!!

Thanks Guys!

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Polly, I like to make zucchini bread with zucchini. I freeze it in two cup intervals especially for bread. Like Fran said, it's easy to add to things. I put some in spaghetti sauce, lasagna, casseroles, etc. I've even made "potato pancakes" with part potato and part zucchini.

Polly, I was able to pick up seeds at a True Value. Thanks for the idea.

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

Joan, I finally got my act together and your package is on it's way to you.

DC#0306 0320 0003 6252 6318

I hope you enjoy it. I had great ideas but when I went shopping, no one around here cans. Ugh....... I did the best I could with what I had to work with.

Nancy

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

I'm sure I'll love it! Don't worry about that. I'm also
    having problems finding canning items around here now. Everything is CHRISTMAS!!! Man, what happened to Thanksgiving? I'm hoping to have yours ready tomorrow or Saturday.

Joan

• booberry85
    15 years ago

It looks like I get to be the first one to post about their treats! I had a really bad day at work today! However, when I came home from work I had a box waiting for me! It was from Heather. I was just in awe when I opened it. It was just the pick me up I needed today. Here's what I found inside:

A set of tea lites in autumn colored candle holders
    A cute little pumpkin decoration (it's sitting on the mantle right now)
    A recipe for 5 pepper jelly (yummy)
    A recipe for zucchini relish (zucchini relish is my favorite)

and for seeds:
    Beaver Dam Peppers (Hurray! These were on my wish list.)
    Bolivian Rainbow Peppers (Hurray! These were on my wish list.)
    California Wonder Peppers
    Sheepnose Pimento Pepper (I've been looking at these)
    Burpee Garden Bean Gourmet Mix (I had great success with beans this past season. So of course I wanted to experiment with more next year)
    Burpees Garden Blend of Eggplant (I love eggplant)
    Rotonda Bianca Eggplant (I love eggplant)
    Jubilee Tomatoes (These are yellow. I think I've looked into them before and believe they have good disease resistance, which is something I like in a tomato, especially after this year!)
    Dark Green Zucchini (I love all squashes)
    Burpee Fordhook Zucchini
    Red Kuri Squash (another off my wish list!)
    Australian Brown Onions (I'll have to study on those)
    Blue Dynasty Cabbage (I have to study on these too)
    Late Flat Dutch Cabbage (I had good luck with cabbages in 2007. Didn't grow them this year though but I might have to try them again in 2009.)
    St Valery Carrots (I have to study on these too)
    Burpee Looseleaf Lettuce Mix (I had good luck with lettuces this year too)

Thank you so much Heather!

• veeja11
    15 years ago

Polly, I hope to mail friday also, my addy is 242 169th st e
    bad luck finding canning gifts. hope you like what I send. happy gardening
    carol

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Wow Becky, what a great haul.

Donna THANK YOU!!! I received a wonderful package today from Donna!!!

It included not one BUT 3 recipes:
    Peppadew Style Pickled Peppers
    Donna's Dilly Beans
    Roasted Tomatoe Sauce (sounds yummy)
    Also the cutest little plant marker a Corn Stake, which I will put up somewhere with my garden stuff!

She looked at my want list for sure cuz a LOT of this was on there, THANK YOU!!!
    Most I haven't even heard of, so I will be interested in seeing what they are next year! Heck, if I keep trading I might end up with ALL my wants...lol.
    Beans: Garden beans/Royal Burgundy
    Beans: Scarlet Runner
    Cucumber: Wisconsin SMR#58 these will be new for me too
    Edamame: ÂGardensoy #24"
    Pepper: Hungarian Wax
    Tomatillo: Green/ Physalis Philidelphica (Thanks!)
    Tomato: Aunt RubyÂs German Green (Thank you Thank you!)
    Tomato: Black Krim
    Tomato: Blond Kopfchen (never heard of these)
    Tomato: Brandywine SudduthÂs (this is a new one to me too!)
    Tomato: Green Zebra (Thank you)
    Tomato: Olena Ukrainian (or these)
    Tomato: Stupice (never heard of these either)

Thanks again Donna, I am now hoping you like yours as much as I do mine!

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

OOooo I am so glad your stuff came, and I am also so glad that you like it. I remembered you had asked about the Aunt Ruby's German Green so even though they dont really fit into the recipes I knew you would like them , and if they do half as well for you as they did for me you will be loaded with huge luscious sweet green tomatoes next season(or whenever you get the chance to plant them LOL).

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

I recieved my package from Fran today...and wow, could you jam any more goodness into that poor envelope ?!? LOL!! It was crammed full to the gills...Some pretty cooltuff too!

I got:
    Elephant Garlic-I have never even eaten this, so I am totally excited about it, I LOVE garlic!!

Golden Wax Beans- This will be my first season doing wax beans so these are good!

Cherokee Wax Beans -sound too cool, I will have to think of a recipe using these along with my Chrokee Purple Tomatoes :)

Pinkeye Purple Hull peas- are they like blackeye peas?

Jackson Wonder Butter Beans- my hubby loves Butter Beans, now I have no excuse not to grow them LOL

Black Beauty Eggplant

Burpless Cucumbers- New variety for me, I adore cukes!

Sugarbaby Watermelon

Tigger Melon- I really am excited about this one!

Hyacinth Beans-they sound lovely

and a bunch of plant markers, which will come in handy in a few more months when I start my seeds growing :)

Thank You so much for all of this wonderful stuff....I am off to plant my garlic! Yum garlic....I even dedicated a couple of blog pages to the delectable bulb.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Donna, did I miss your Minnesota Midget seeds? They were posed to be in there too?
    Let me know I will look around for them if the are not in there!

I truly hope you are happy with your package.

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Oops...I got so excited about the Elephant Garlic and Tigger seeds that I totally spaced out and forgot to write down the Minnesota Midget seeds AND the recipe for Spaghetti Sauce, both of which I am going to enjoy a bunch!!

I am totally and thoroughly happy with my package :) Thank you so much!!

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Looks like you all are getting wonderful goodies!!! Good job! :)

Donna, did you get your prize package yet? I sent it off with a 2 day delivery...

• iheartroscoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got my package from Becky a few days ago, but family from Florida is visiting, so I haven't had time to post, yet. I'll be back later to share all the great goodies Becky sent with everyone! :)

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Yes I did get my prize ...look up ^^ about 12 posts where I posted about recieving it :) And Thank You so much again for such a wonderful prize !!! I already used one of the freezer jars too :)

• iheartroscoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK...here are all the goodies I received from Becky!

Seeds
    Kazackha Melon (I LOVE unusual melons!)
    Italian Sweet Basil (I was going to start basil indoors this winter, so this is perfect)
    Wisconsin SMR58 Cucumber
    Yolo Wonder Pepper
    Roma Tomato
    Fireball Tomato
    Parsley (I'm expanding my herb garden next year, so the more the better!)
    Cilantro/Coriander
    Habanero Pepper
    Nyagous Tomato (This one looks very interesting)
    Pulla Pepper
    Purira Pepper (I think I spelled that one right)
    Korean melon (Yay, more melon! :) )
    Armenian Yard Long Cucumber (Another interesting variety I have to check out)
    Cocozelle Zucchini (Sounds like a great zucchini to add to my garden next year)

I also received a bunch of canning supplies, Fight Hunger bracelets, an oven mitt, and a lot of great recipes!

Thank you for a great trade, Becky! :)

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Donna, I'm so glad that you received it! :) I thought my PO was slacking again! ROFL I have to get some of those jars for my home use, they are so neat.

Nice package Heather, great job Becky!!! :) It's always so neat to see what everyone got, makes my want list longer every time.. hehe

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Ok, Sunnyk/Donna, I want to see a picture of those freezer jars.
    So get to postin' LOL.

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

I've already PM'd Nancy but I want to publicly apologize to all. I was late getting her package out. It finally went out today. Conf# 0306 2400 0003 0182 8267
    I'm truly sorry!
    In the meantime, I got a wonderful package from her late Friday. I really had so much fun going through the items and got some new seeds that I'd never heard of.
    Here's what she sent:
    Bulbs:
    Porcelain Garlic & French Shallots (my package SMELLED WONDERFUL when I opened it!) I don't have either of these so that was great!
    (2) Quart size Mason jars packed! With:
    Package of Salsa Mix, Kosher Dill Pickle Mix, & Bread & Butter Pickle Mix - these really look great!
    Seeds:
    Opalloa Tomato (new variety to me)
    Long Island Mammoth Dill (can't wait to try)
    Tri-Color Zucchini (also new to me)
    San Marzano Tomato (another new variety to me)
    Viva Italia Hybrid Tomato (again, new to me)
    Rainbox Mix Sweet Peppers (wow, these look so pretty)
    Cucumber, bush pickle hybrid (can never have too many cukes)
    Thanks again Nancy! Everything looks great and I really am looking forward to planting these new varieties this spring! So sorry again for being late with yours.

Joan

• booberry85
    15 years ago

How fun! Sounds like you got some good stuff Joan and are ready for canning!

Donna & Fran it looks like you got some good loot too.

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

More great goodies! Great job Nancy. :)

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

Carol,
    I received your package and sent part of yours out yesterday. I am not at home my daughter stopped by and picked up mail for me and the rest of it is at my house, will send remainder wednesday sorry I am not able to change my location till then.
    there are 2 packages and the second one will have delivery code, will post tomorrow as I am not home and have not been for a few days will hope these get to you with lots of love from postman. Sorry Carol.
    On a happier note!!

I received a very nice box of seeds and extras from Carol...

A candle with three scents very nice..daughters are deciding who gets it!! ha! MINE!!
    towel and pot holder.. very pretty
    a jar of strawberry jam...can't wait to try that
    plant markers
    beet seeds
    bean seeds
    papaya pear squash.. never tried this will now
    great white heirloom tomato
    black plum tomato
    italian beefsteak tomato
    radish bunny tails
    black wax beans
    str8 8 cucumbers
    spicey globe basil
    coral vine
    Thank you Carol and it really made my day to get the stuff.
    I am not signing up for any swaps till I can get my life, or should I say kids lives, in order which my take a week or two, I hate having to have people wait on my stuff. Thank you for waiting.
    Polly

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

I was feeling a bit low today and was napping. I go outside to get the mail and I see this box tucked between my planter and the side of the house. Joan THANK YOU! You can be late any time. :o) Oh MY! She sent all kinds of goodies. Are you sure we are not long lost sister? She read me like a book. I cheered up right away and forgot I was not feeling well. I immediately went outside to plant the Collards and Brussel Sprouts seedlings she sent. I actually had Collards for lunch today. I have been late and did not put in seeds yet and when I ordered the collard seedlings, they were sold out. I craved Collards and bought them at Whole Foods. I cannot believe what they charge. Now I know why I have a garden.

Also included were:

A HUGE jar of Pickling Lime
    A HUGE bag of Mrs. Wages Bread & Butter Pickle Mix
    Another HUGE package of Spaghetti Sauce Tomato Mix
    A Package of Freezer Jam Fruit Pectin
    A beautiful door Hanger that reads~ May our Hearts be filled with Thanksgiving
    Recipe Cards w/ Pen
    Memo Pad
    A Calendar w/ Kittens- You must have seen my email address
    2 Packages of Almond Roca- It is my FAV, I swear

WOW! She sent her recipes for Pickled Green Beans,
    Pickled Beets, Chow Chow and Pickled Hot Peppers

She sent Bush Green Beans, Cayenne Peppers, Mammoth Table Queen Royal Acorn, Nantes Carrots, Large Red Cherry Tomatoes, Alaska Peas, Sweet Basil, Detroit Dark Red Beets, Giant Noble Spinach~ I have been planting Spinach and ran out, how Joan knew, I have no clue and Nebraska Wedding Tomatoes were on my WISH LIST. Thank you so much Joan! It was a PLEASURE.

Nancy

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Wow! It got there fast, even with the holiday on Monday! I'm so glad you liked everything Nancy. I really had a great time putting it together for you!

Joan

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Pixie, go to the Incredible Edibles September Round 2 thread. I will post a message on it so you can find it on top! Christy

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Wait, Ignore my last post, I meant to put it on the September thread! Christy

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

Ok Carol,
    I finally got home and sent your other box...the delivery confirmation is..
    sorry it took soo long I am home now
    and lets hope there will be no more of that...I had to go to take care of my grandkids while parents got there heads back on straight! Sorry for any problems I caused.
    Polly

• veeja11
    15 years ago

I received a wonderful pkg from polly today, sweet card, jar labels seeds
    sungelia tomato
    giant noble spinach
    detroit dark red beet
    mammoth dill
    lark f1 sweetcorn
    cherokee yellow wax beans
    Thankyou Polly this is a lot no need for another pkg
    thankyou can't wait to plant
    hugs carol

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

just bumping us to the first page again!

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

I received my swap from Christy today! She has really outdone herself. Can I SAY OH EM GEE!!! lol It was totally crammed to the gills with goodness. Everything is awesome, and way more than I could ever imagine!

For Recipes I received:
    -Lemon Cucumber Pickle Recipe
    -Basic Pickle Liquid Recipe
    -Recipes for Pickled Fennel,Jicama,Green Beans with Dill,,Pearl Onions,Curried Cauliflower,Okra,Cucumber Spears,Bread and Butter Pickles,Bell Peppers,Turnips, and Purple Onions
    -Kick-Ass Barrel Pickle Recipe
    -Dill cucumber Pickle Recipe
    -Antipasto Recipe
    -Ground Cherry Recipe

I received Saffron Bulbs, Bay Laurel cuttings :)

Seeds:
    Marketmore 76 Cucumbers
    Sumter Cucumbers
    Early Golden Acre Cabbage
    Boston Pickling Cucumber
    Hendersons Pink Ponderosa Tomato
    Flamingo Pink Tomato Seeds
    True Black Brandywine tomato
    Williams Striped Tomato
    Gherkin Pickle
    Long Island Mammoth Dill
    Mustard Seeds
    Extra Curled Dwarf Parsley
    Marjoram
    Summer Savory
    Oregano
    Catnip
    Lavender
    Fenugreek
    Wonderberry
    German Chamomile
    Flax
    Firecracker Pepper
    Ground Cherry
    Rotonda Biance Eggplant
    Anise Hyssop
    Black Hungarian
    Courgette Zuchinni

Christy also sent a bamboo Skimmer Wash Clothes, a really neat Garlic Keeper, Towels, Oven mit and pot holders for my canning experiments!

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH CHRISTY!!! I'm going to enjoy planting and tasting all these goodies! :) Definitely an awesome swap! :D

I should probably video my canning experiments so I can put it on America's Funniest H/V and of course the notorious U-Tube! :D

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Christy! Watch for the mailman!!! I have finally gotten your swap package off. DC is: 0480 5401 4370 8200 6530

Enjoy! :D