galium_gw

NEW: October ~Cracked Pot Gardner's~

galium
15 years ago

The philosopher who said work well done never needs doing over
never weeded a garden.
Kay D. Everson

Happy October all of you Cracked Pot Gardner's
This months swap will be decided between partners. Some of us can still send plants and others can't. Please contact your partner and discuss your options.

PARTNERS:
Mariann/galium and Frances/fcoffill
Jeanne/sandlapper_rose and Sue/sguanzon
Tracy/tracyvine and Lisa/ishareflowers
Amy/dieg01991 and Louise/esiuol

RULES:Contact your partner for their address.
1. All plants must be sent Priority with a DC#.
2. Post when you send to your partner with DC#.
3. Post when you receive.
4. Boxes/seeds must be in the mail by October 27th.
5. We don't send out reminders if you are late.

Any questions please feel free to contact me-Mariann/galium or Michelle/micyrey.
Oh, and by the way:

Comments (65)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Well Lady's I am exactly opposit from you early morning people. I am more of a night person and I just don't like mornings and am not a coffee drinker so NOTHING can get me ready for them...lol.

I know PLENTY of people who are morning people and of course all think I am lazy for not getting out of bed before, WELL I won't say when BUT when you take into account that I didn't go to bed until around 2 am and sometimes a LOT later then that well then I am NOT lazy I just haven't had as much sleep as they did because they went to bed a 10 PM...hehe, it DOES make a difference, lol.

Michelle, I would have offered to be your partner too, but someone else beat me too it. Although I said I would sit out on this one, it is just SOOOO hard when I take a peek at the post, I keep thinking, "I WANNA PLAY TOO"!!!

The mail as slowed to a crawl the last few days, I haven't even receive a seed cat. in the mail lately. How sad is that? :(.

Tracy thanks for the tip on looking up pics on the photo sites, that never occurred to me either. I just didn't think they would have any useable ones. Now I know, and there you have another DUH moment for me...LOL.

:) Fran

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Yay Mariann! so happy your box arrived with some surprises! Even better if it has something inside that you can use! Jiffypots are really fantastic, I couldn't get along with out them for seeds and for cuttings. But they really earn their keep when it comes to annuals, because so many annual plants don't like to be transplanted. when you use the little jiffy pots for these seeds, you don't have to worry about trasplanting the picky plants (they never know the difference!)

Frances

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Hi Louise,
    I got your email on Friday and I replied to it. I also sent you another email yesterday with a list of plant ideas for you. Did you get my emails? I hope they didn't end up in your junk mail. Let me know.

Thanks,
    Amy

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Frances-Your box is going in the mail tomorrow
    DC# 0103 8555 7496 0691 2001
    Mariann

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Hooray!!!!! I love packages in the mail! It's like having a birthday and not having to get a year older!!!! ha ha ha

:)

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Hmmmmm..... It's aweful quite in here! Where is everyone?

Tracy, I'll be mailing your package out tomorrow afternoon.
    I'll post the dc# when I get in from work. I hope you like the plants that I picked for you.

Lisa

I leave for the long weekend on Friday afternoon, last trip planned for the year.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Tracy,
    your conformation # is 0306 3030 0000 6913 4428

I hope you like evrything that I got for you!

Lisa

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Hey Lisa! Thank you! I know I will love everything! Your box is in the mail too! DC# is 0103 8555 7495 0455 0565. Have a great time on your long weekend! The plants should get there in time for you to do a little digging before you leave. Nothing like a little work before a nice rest, eh? :o)

Mariann, that was such a nice box from Frances!

Fran, no problem. I love PB. They have such cute graphics and a nice editing tool so you can add comments to pictures and some cute embellishments too.

I hope everyone is have a great fall day. The weather is getting crisp and the leaves are starting to drop. Pretty soon we will be trick or treating. This summer flew. I can't believe it's gone already. Where does the time go?

Tracy

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello~
    Sorry I've been MIA. I had terrible allergies for about 1 1/2 weeks. Could barely lift my head off the pillow. Now I'm really far behind in my yard work. I still have about 50 plants/rooted cuttings to get in the ground somewhere.

I had a nice surprise yesterday. My DH had given me a gift certificate to Glasshouse Works for Christmas. I ordered Tropicals/House Plants and in one of the Philo pots was this skinny stem with 2 serrated leaves on it. At first I thought it was a weed but I potted it up anyway. Never thought it would survive. I looked at it last week an it had buds on it. Yesterday it bloomed!

So I posted this picture on the House Plant Forum and someone said it was a hybrid Achimenes. I really wanted to know exactly what it was so I emailed Tom at Glasshouse Works and sent him this picture. He emailed me back and said that it was one of the plants they sell often called Achimenes 'Rio Rita'. How cool is that!

So how is everyone doing?? Anyone dressing up for Halloween?
    Have a great evening
    Mariann

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Hi Mariann, I'm sorry to hear your allergies have been so bad. I love the bloom on 'Rio Rita'! It's the perfect name for such a pretty bud. Lucky girl! We were invited to a Halloween party but we've decided against going. We have much more fun trick or treating with the kids. What about you? Any big plans?

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Wow Mariann! very pretty surprise!

No plans for Halloween, my allergies have also been very bad. I have so much to do, still waiting on the last few tomatoes to colour up a bit. I have so many cuttings I would like to set out. Seeds to sow. Gotta get ready before those leaves start dropping! They are just now getting the first blush of colour on the dogwoods and big leaf oaks.

Hi Tracy!

Used to love trick or treat!!!! Have fun, we don't get any little kids around here.

Have a great evening everyone!

Frances

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Yippppeeeee!

I am doing a happy dance! not only is it raining but the postman brought me two big boxes today!!!!

Thank you so much Mariann! a big box stuffed full of Lantanas and sedums!!! I think next year I will have a corner of the yard just filled with these lovelies! Purple Emporer, Frosty Morn, and a variageted one, I forgot the mname! and 6 or 7 stout lantanas to add to my collection! (The butterflies and hummers are going to be very happy to see these) The red is my personal fave!!! a positive beast in the yard, but the butterflies and humming birds flock to it!

Thank you for the seeds too..... suddenly I am wanting summer back again!

Frances

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We don't usually get any Trick or Treaters here. There are no sidewalks or street lights. When our DD was little some of her friends would stop by but that was all. My DH use to take her out and I would stay home waiting for Trick or Treaters.

Allergies have been a little better this week.
    Mariann

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

We don't get any trick-or-treaters either. We used to live in a neighborhood where we got lots of them and I miss seeing the kids come around in their costumes. Overall though I think most of the kids now go to private parties or activities at the churches. I'm sure that is safer for them.
    Sue, I was thinking I might dig some plants for you and mail a package to you this week and then it was so bone dry that the one plant I dug up looked all mutilated. Anyway, they had predicted rain for today and we are getting some rain (Hooray!) but I am reluctant to send out on a Thursday - especially with Monday being a holiday so it will be some time next week. Glad you aren't traveling this month and I am not trying to have the package get there at a certain time... just trying to play it by ear with the weather and the holiday. LOL
    Glad you are feeling a little better, Mariann.
    Jeanne

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Frances-I'm so glad everything arrived safely. You can't imagine how happy I was that you could take those Lantana. I grow them every year and hate to get rid of them.
    Mariann

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

I haven't any plans for halloween either. The kids are grown and I live on a street alone so I don't get any trick or treators. I buy candy every year hoping that a few will stop by but they never do and I end up eating the candy. This year I'll have a few single dollars just in case, no candy for me!

Tracy, your package should arrive today!

Have a great day
    Lisa

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

I haven't any plans for halloween either. The kids are grown and I live on a street alone so I don't get any trick or treators. I buy candy every year hoping that a few will stop by but they never do and I end up eating the candy. This year I'll have a few single dollars just in case, no candy for me!

Tracy, your package should arrive today!

Have a great day
    Lisa

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Good Morning everyone! We take our kids over to the development behind our property to trick or treat. The houses on our road are pretty far apart with no street lights at all or sidewalks so we don't have any kiddies coming to our house either. It was a big adjustment after living in the city. I do miss seeing all the little ones dressed up and so excited to get more candy! The upside is that I now get to go out with my own kids and the hubby while my gang goes door to door. They have a blast and are all giggles and bubbly as they run house to house.

Lisa, I just checked your DC and it is in town! Should be knocking at your door sometime soon! I can't wait!

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Mariann
    Such a shame that they will not survive your winter, it is touch and go here for some varieties, but most of the common ones are pretty good and they are definately worth a little extra care in fall to improve their survival rate!

I cannot imagine most of mine in pots though! I have a couple along my back fence that get about 6' tall! and my favourite red/orange easily gets a 4-5' spread! Watching the butterflies and hummingbirds flock to them more than compensates for their 'stinky' fragrance.

Of course in this climate anything that blooms all summer, even if we don't get any rain is a very very good thing!

Thanks again!

Frances

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

I want to post the contents of my box from Tracy, it was loaded with healthy looking divisions of......

echinaceas

white swan
    ruby star
    cygnet white
    double decker
    summer sky
    sundown
    sunrise
    bright star
    leviathon
    aaaaaaannnnndddd...
    sedum - voodoo
    hens and chicks
    clematis - dawn
    and a cute little halloween decoration

They are all planted in there new home!

Tracy, Thank you for such a wonderful box. I hope that you enjoy my package as much as I enjoyed yours!!!

I'll check back later and see if my box made it to you okay.

Lisa

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Lisa, I am so glad they arrived in good shape. I hope you like all the different echies. I couldn't help sending the little spook. My mail doesn't get here until close to 5pm most days so I will check back after it gets here. Can't wait!

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lisa-What a great box Tracy sent you. Your own Echinacea garden in a box.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Galium, yes Tracy's box was a treat! I only hope she enjoys mine as much.

I'll be checking in periodically through the night to see if she got hers and liked what I sent her.

Have a good night
    Lisa

• esiuol
    15 years ago

Amy,
    Your box went in the mail Tuesday Morning #03080730000101058972.
    I hope you like it!!

Louise

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Lisa, you outdid yourself! Thank you so much for everything. You picked the the most amazing assortments of plants for me. What a way to close out the growing season!

purple phlox
    "Angelique" Tulips (I can't tell you how happy these made me! Mine disappeared with some evil critter!)
    Geranium "Rothbury Gem" (I love this!)
    Goats Beard
    Iris "Superstition"
    Iris "Cherubs Smile"
    Ligularia "Desdemona"
    Heuchera "Brownies"
    Astilbe "Red Sentinel"
    Pink Toad Lily
    Black Mondo Grass
    A huge division of Sedum
    Sunset Foxglove
    Pulmonaria "Roy Davidson"
    An adorable Birdhouse Kitchen Towel that is very plush!
    2 Recipes!
    Noni's Italian Cookies and Fried Sandwich Peppers! Oh my goodness the cookie recipe looks fantastic and I am going to love frying up these peppers for our philly steak sandwiches that we make. Mmm MMMM!

Thank you again. This was a lot of fun!

Hugs
    Tracy

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    15 years ago

Tracy,

I'm glad you liked the package! I was kind of all over the place. I wanted the superstition iris for halloween and the rest was what was available to buy.

The sedum...isn't a sedum, it's a kalanchoe house plant. It can go outdoors in the summer but not now. It can be potted up and grown indoors.

The birdhouse towel was just to cushion the ride for the plants.

Thanks for trading!!
    Lisa

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

I'm kind of chuckling to myself because "all over the place" is pretty much what my gardens are. You hit on every major garden I have. You're a gem.

I never heard of Kalanchoe before and did a quick search on it. It is a beautiful houseplant! I was just at Old Time Pottery today buying some pretty new pots for all the hp's that Deb sent. They are so cute! This will look perfect in the larger one that I picked up. The pots look like a glazed concrete with a blue transferware pattern on them and have a crackle finish.

The weather will be gorgeous here for the next few days and I will be happily planting away in the garden and doing a little potting up. I hope you guys have a good time on your get-away weekend!

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Hi everyone!
    Louise, I got your box on Thurs night. I've been super busy and haven't had time to post until now. I will post the contents later for everyone to see. I love it!

Thanks,
    Amy

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

hi again everyone,
    Here is what Louise sent me...

Plant division:
    Sweet Woodruff
    Red Twig Dogwood
    Purple Liatris
    Helanthis - Perennial sunflower - Lemon Queen

And she also sent me a bunch of different kinds of seeds.

I just got all the plants planted.

Thanks Louise! Your box will be going out either Tues or Wed (since Mon is a holiday)

Amy

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nice boxes girls!

I'm going to start a new thread for sign ups for next month. Need to touch base with Michelle first. Not sure which day she's getting back from her vacation though.

My DH and I are going to a big Flea Market Today. My DD an her DH will be there selling. We're suppose to bring her coffee.LOL Anyway I'm always on the lookout for a bargain.
    Have a great day
    Mariann

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Flea Markets are one of my favorite places Mariann. I haven't gone since we had the kids. I'm too afraid of the mischief they might cause while I'm browsing through. I hope you find some good stuff!

Nikki, what a fun box you received from Louise. Red twig dogwood is so pretty. I love how it looks in the snow.

Tracy

• esiuol
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    I just had to chime in here. I just got my new laptop and now I have to play with it!! I'm sitting on my exercise bike and surfing the web at the same time. This is just too cool!! I love modern technology. This is supposed to be my Christmas gift..............but it's not going back in the box ever again.
    Amy - I'm so glad you like the plants. They are all zone 4 hardy. Enjoy!!

Happy Columbus Day!!

Louise

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

OMG Louise, I can't believe I missed two plants I got from you!!! I was in such a hurry when I unpacked the box and then i set it all aside to plant on Saturday. Well, when I planted them, I missed 2 that I just found still sitting in the box! Man, my life needs to slow down a bit here! :-) Anyway, Louise also sent me Geranium - bright pink and Geranium - Johnson's blue. I can't plant them now because it's been raining all day and will continue all night. Hope they will make it until tomorrow after work!! Ugh.

Amy

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Louise! what a merry Christmas present for you! How can you type and pedal your exercycle at the same time? If it were me I'd be upside down on my head. :o)

Amy, I love the perennial geraniums. Louise sent some to me a few months back and they are huge already. Beautiful blooms. I have many planted all through my rock garden. They all have such different foliage too. Great plants. I just realized I posted to nikki earlier! Woops, sorry about that.

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

My package was sent to Sue today. They claim it will take 2 days. I suspect 3 - LOL
    Anyway, keep a watch for it, Sue.
    Delivery Confirmation:

Jeanne

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I just wanted to let you all know that I sent Louise's box this afternoon (finally!). Hope you like it! Let me know when you get it.

DC# 0307 1790 0003 5993 7371

Amy

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Louise-I'm not sure I could ride an exercise bike and use the computer at the same time either. So glad you're having fun with it! We all need an early Christmas present.

We had fun at the Flea Market and I came home with a dry sink for my kitchen. My house is small so I don't have a lot of room to store things. The dry sink has been refurbished and looks very country. It's amazing that Flea Market finds are hard to come by these days. Everyone seems to know what they have and how much it's worth. With the Internet available finding out how much something is worth is very easy these days.

We also went to an Auction on Tuesday. There really wasn't anything I was interested in. We'll be going to another one next Wednesday. Tuesday's auction is only the 2nd auction I've been to. My DH really got a charge out of it!

• sguanzon
    15 years ago

I received my wonderful box from Jeanne on Thursday (it did only take two days!).....

I received:

the cutest pot sitter (a squirrel) I just love him - Jeanne you'll need to email me and let me know where you got him!

plants:

Duck's Foot Coleus
    Angel wing begonia
    pineapple sage
    Pumpkin Pie Spice Daylily (I'd been eyeing this one Jeanne - thanks so much!)
    Chocolate Vine Akebia
    Chartreuse Sweet Potato Vine
    Irene Watts Rose

Everything arrived in great shape and I love it all!

I'll be getting your box out this weekend -- Happy Gardening!

Sue G.

• esiuol
    15 years ago

I have to find ways to amuse myself when I'm on the exercise bike or it turns into a clothes rack...LOL!!!

Happy Friday everyone!!!!

Louise

• sguanzon
    15 years ago

Jeanne,

Sent your box out hopefully you'll have it Monday. DC#0308 1400000125293075. Hope you like everything.

It's still in the upper 90's here but nights have cooled off and hopefully this week we'll see 80's........

Sue G.

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

I'll keep a watch for it, Sue. We had been having pretty hot weather and now all of a sudden it is supposed to go down to 40 degrees tonight. Wish there would be some "inbetween" weather! LOL This is our first night of having the heat on in the house.
    I'll let you know when the box arrives.
    Jeanne

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We had our first frost last night. It's suppose to warm up during the day though.

Mariann/galium-sent and received
    Frances/fcoffill-sent and received
    Jeanne/sandlapper_rose-sent
    Sue/sguanzon-sent and received
    Tracy/tracyvine-sent and received
    Lisa/ishareflowers-sent and received
    Amy/dieg01991-sent and received
    Louise/esiuol-sent and received

Mariann

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

I received my package from Sue today.
    Sue, thank you so much!
    Included were two different miniature roses (one white, one deep pink) - you should see them - full of blossoms! Also, some rose fertilizer stakes. My roses will really appreciate those. Also, a fern, garden gloves, some Halloween plant picks, two types of daffodils - 'Salome' and 'Jetfire' and a baggie with various kinds of seeds.
    That was a wonderful package from you Sue.
    Thanks so much!
    Jeanne

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Just wanted to say hello and happy hump day!

Mariann, your list shows that Louise has received her box. I hadn't heard yet so I just wanted to make sure that's right. Louise, have you received your box from me? I've been worried that something went wrong. Maybe you emailed me and I didn't get the email, sometimes that happens. Anyway, I hope everything arrived in great shape and that you liked it all. :-)

Amy

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Amy-Sorry, I messed up, Louise didn't post that she received your box yet. Thanks for keeping me straight.LOL I'm sure she'll post soon. By the way what is Happy Hump Day??? Is that like Wednesday being over the hump of the week???

We're still taking sign ups for next months seed swap.
    Mariann

• esiuol
    15 years ago

Amy,

I did get the box. Thank you so much!!

Amy sent white & hot pink Dianthus, Sedum, Silver mound and Canna bulbs and this great bag full of Halloween Goodies.

I'm sad to say that our growing season is officially over. We're getting our fist snowfall today. 6 more month till Spring!!!

Happy Halloween!!!

Louise

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Louise I did get your email. Amy sent you a terrific box!

Sorry I've been MIA again. My DD is renting a kiosk in a local mall for the holidays. Every Christmas I always make a few things for her and her DH. Because we'll be helping her sell I have to get everything done soon. We just found out today that she is opening her kiosk Nov. 8th instead of Black Friday! That puts even more pressure on me. Anyway I'm making my DD and her DH fleece jackets. Today I'm finishing up a fleece coat I made for myself. Still have bulbs to plant and a few things to go up in my holding beds.

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

OOOOooooOOOOOOOO!!!! Happyyyyy Halloooooeeeennnnn!! OOOooo

have a safe and happy night
    michelle(local wicked witch impersonator(sp ck))

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1302682}}

Happy Halloween to all my little Cracked Pots! I hope you all have a fun night and don't scare too many little children!

Mariann, wish your DD good luck on the kiosk for me! I am so excited for her. What a great idea! You'll have to post pictures of the jackets when they're finished. I loved what you made last year. I can't wait to see these!

Michele, you scared me! LOL! Happy Halloween!

Tracy

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Michelle-You are so scarey!!!

Tracy-I'll post pictures when I'm done sewing.