Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjc48

FOTESS The Last Leaf ll

sjc48
10 years ago

Hey, everyone, the Last Leaf is over here!

Comments (28)

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Everybody!
    Just checking in. We'll keep this thread open for a week or so, in case anyone wants to add to Chapter Two, or just to chat.

Hopefully, Jeanne is hosting the FOTESS November swap and will let us know about that in a few weeks.

Prizes for the Triple Whammy Bingo will go out over the weekend.

Talk to ya all soon!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    10 years ago

I am here tonight for a favor. I am in need of quick prayers for my 24 year old daughter. She went to the emergency room yesterday because she first started having stabbing pains in her chest then her left side began tingling and she was dizzy and had difficulty concentrating. She was tested for stroke and bloodclot and when they could not find anything, sent her home. Her pain went away but not the tingling. I took her to the chiropractor and she didn't do any work on her because just simply looking at her and her reactions to certain tests made the chiro ask me to take her back to the er. I took her to a different hospital and they have admitted her. I know someone asked if MS was in the family and I do have a cousin. They are doing an MRI tomorrow and after reading the symptoms tonight, realize that Elizabeth has several of them and they even mentioned some patients had pains described as stabbing which is how this started. I am scared for my daughter and pray that MS is not the problem. Please keep her in your prayers and I will keep you posted. Thanks Margo

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Shirley, I hope you don't mind...but...I carried Chapter ONE of "The Last Leaf" over from the previous thread. I then included your outstanding beginning to Chapter TWO.

The Last Leaf
    CHAPTER ONE

A woman walks through a forest of tall trees. A cool breeze is blowing as the summer comes to a close. The trees begin to shiver as a squirrel scurries through on a hunt for the bountiful harvest from the nut trees. A single leaf falls.

The woman raises her eyes skyward, to learn the source of the falling leaf, the largest she has ever seen. She is delighted to discover it is from a rare and beautiful native, the Bigleaf Magnolia. Suddenly, something else catches her eye.

As she paused, looking up at the tree, Lucille realized that it was much colder than it had been when she parked the truck at the trailhead. Looking west she could see thick grey clouds flying ahead of the wind. "I better head back and check on the animals," The woman said to herself. As she turned and headed back down the trail, an Elvish figure stepped away from the tree, smiled, and nodded his head.

For several seconds, she screamed in awesome fear. Then a quiet, comforting peace consumed her in to a devoted trance. She could not speak. She could not move. Lucille’s paralyzed body fell to the soft earth. The short, rather ugly, non-human like being approached her. He stooped down on to his knees, ever so close to her now frail body. She saw his ears were not ears but luscious golden veined, red leaves. She smiled. His distorted fingers caringly closed her eyes and then he took her hands in to his.

Butterflies in a myriad of colors flutter past Lucille's frail body. Enchanting objects flying around like little pixies. Lucille gently reopens her eyes to a magical forest. Dancing pink magical mushrooms wander this forest in very operatic voices. Where am I, she cries?? A faint cackle taunts her in the distance. She frantically looks down and remembers nothing but that mysterious single leaf.

Lucille looks around to the new magical world she has found herself in.There are flowers of all different colors,fairies flying to and fro and all of a sudden she realizes she is a fairy,with wings and all of the mixed hues of a leaf colors in autumn!!! But she wants to go home to her animals and has a feeling that mysterious leaf is her only link to finding her way home.but how can she find the leaf? The leaves she sees here are the beautiful colors of autumn.The mysterious leaf was green!!

Lucille slumped down in a slough of despair. "Oh, what to do, what to do," she cried. "Not a fairy! I don't even know how to fly - nor do I want to learn! I want to go home!"
    She stood up and looked around at the colorful landscape and all the fluttering, singing beings. "This is all very pretty, albeit a bit garish. But pretty as it is, it is still just a bit creepy. These pink mushrooms are really getting on my nerves." She wandered a few paces down the path. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw what appeared to be a moving forest! As it came closer, she saw it was a whole group of the little Elvish figures, chanting " Where is the Last Leaf?" over and over. In addition to ears that looked like leaves, their bodies looked barky, with knot holes, and their arms were very twiggy. "Gee," thought Lucille, "if I find the Last Leaf for them, maybe they'll tell me how to get out of here!"

As the chanting of the Elvish figures grew louder Lucille trembled. What to do, stay and talk to them or run and hide. Although she wanted to hide she deceided to stay as they might know how she can find her way home. Soon they circled around Lucille chanting "where is the last leaf." Lucille asked," can you please help me find my way home." "No," said the biggest and angriest creature, we want the last leaf. "Why are you looking for the last leaf ," asked Lucille. The smallest one stepped forward and said," Our mother, Mrs. Maganolia said we cannot sleep until the last leaf falls and we are getting very tired as we have been swaying in the wind since last spring. Just then the large angry creature said, "I bet she is hiding the last leaf, lets go get her."

Lucille tries to turn away as the largest creature approaches, but finds it difficult to move. Pain knifes through her skull as the fading light penetrates the twin slits of her eyelids and her vision is clouded in gouts of red fog. She puts her hand to her head and it comes away sticky. As she strives for lucidity, warm breath bathes her cheek and she hears snuffling. A gray horse is standing above her just on the other side of a fence she had not noticed earlier. Fully awake now, Lucille realizes that she is lying on the ground and begins to assess the damage. On her forehead a large bloody lump throbs with every heartbeat, but nothing seems broken. Near her foot a twisted root tells the story of her fall even if she can't recall the accident. Struggling to get up, she remembers the menacing creatures from her unconscious fantasy and chides herself for her vivid imagination. Brushing away twigs and leaves clinging to her clothes, she makes her way back to the truck, again passing the Bigleaf Magnolia. It is bare. "Was there one large leaf there before, one that fell?", she asks herself as she climbs into the driver's seat. Her eyes scan the forest's edge as she tries to reconcile her memory of trees just beginning their transition from summer to fall with the reality of the nearly leafless spectacle before her. Everything about her adventure is becoming a little hazy as she tries to piece together the afternoon's events. On the drive home she decides to feed the animals quickly and drive to the ER to be checked for concussion. When she slides gingerly out of the truck so as not to reawaken the pain in her head, she does not notice the debris that falls from her hair. Green, perfect, vibrant and pulsing with life, it is the last leaf.

the end

And here we begin Chapter Two:

"The Last Leaf"
    CHAPTER TWO

Lucille climbed wearily up the back porch steps and sank gratefully down onto the glider. "Well, the animals are all taken care of and bedded down for the night," she thought, "Now I need to get a load of laundry started and pay some bills, then it's bedtime for me!" Looking around, she noticed her geraniums needed watering and ......"Oh, drat, didn't I just sweep this porch this morning?" Sweeping in a hurry, Lucille didn't notice the scraps of tiny wings, twigs and bark, and one last, perfect, vibrantly green leaf, entangled in all the debris. Hurrying inside, she decided to put the laundry off for another day, but..."I really need to pay the electric bill. Where is the checkbook? I put it in my purse this morning before I went for my walk, shoot, I left it in the truck....no...I brought everything in...it's not in the....."
    Lucille freezes in place, shocked and remembering.

Who wants to take it from here? I will be chiming in on chapter two later...must run!

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    10 years ago

Margo I'll be keeping your daughter in my thoughts and prayers.

Shirley I received your package on Wednesday. Thank you for the pens and notepads. I can always use them.

Alana I'll be sending the package on to you today.

• beth_b_kodiak
    10 years ago

Thank You Annie. I was going to ask DD to do that this afternoon.
    Yes, I am thinking and thinking about poor Lucile and the Woodsprites.I'll be away until Monday and will see where we go from here.
    I hope to find goodies this weekend for both of my October Swaps. Don't know what yet, but "i'll know it when I see it". (how often do we say or think that)
    Today is a beautiful fall day and I have a lot to get done.
    wishing everyone a preasant and relaxing weekend.
    BB

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie, Thank You, and No, I don't mind at all. I should have done that myself, but it's been a little crazy here, with working long hours. I appreciate it, Annie!

I will add to the story, believe it or not, I DID have something written up, will add it at 9, if no one else has added anything, and always pre-supposing I can find it!
    I think we only need to add Chapter Two, if we add anything to it.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD TO CHAPTER TWO. DON'T WAIT ON ME!

TGIF, for real!
    Shirley!

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

THE LAST LEAF
    CHAPTER TWO

Lucille climbed wearily up the back porch steps and sank gratefully down onto the glider. "Well, the animals are all taken care of and bedded down for the night," she thought, "Now I need to get a load of laundry started and pay some bills, then it's bedtime for me!" Looking around, she noticed her geraniums needed watering and ......"Oh, drat, didn't I just sweep this porch this morning?"
    Sweeping in a hurry, Lucille didn't notice the scraps of tiny wings, twigs and bark, and one last, perfect, vibrantly green leaf, entangled in all the debris. Hurrying inside, she decided to put the laundry off for another day, but..."I really need to pay the electric bill. Where is the checkbook? I put it in my purse this morning before I went for my walk, shoot, I left it in the truck....no...I brought everything in...it's not in the....."

Feeling that she was going to pass out, her spastic arms frantically reach for the red leather chair a few steps away. She sits with some relief, lays her head back and then again starts to think about the grotesque creatures in the forest, her fairy wings, a perfect green leaf….the weirdness of it all. She can not escape these thoughts. She whispers slowly to herself, “It all feels so real, so close. Am I losing my marbles? No! No! No! The ER DOC reassured me that I was fine, but I might be a bit punchy for a few days……Oh….and he told me to take it easy. But where…..my purse….my checkbook….. and that constant chanting. I need a cocktail or something”. Lucille lifts her tired body and heads for the bar in the great room. She pours herself a generous tumbler of Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey, enjoys a soothing, comfortable sip and sits down. She gazes to her left, and then to her right. Her eyes quickly fixate on her red and green plaid tote. Just then, knocks at the door stun her. “Lucille, Lucille, it is us, Shirley and Jeanne. Open the darn door.” She takes another sip of her whiskey and gently tip toes over to let her friends in. Concerned, Shirley belts out, “We were here earlier to pick you up for the FOTESS party. You did not answer the door. Is everything OK?” Before Lucille could answer, Jeanne happily chimes in, “Everyone was their. We all missed you. A party is not a party without you Lucille!” Lucille chuckles, “All is fine, It has been a long day….to difficult to explain. So sorry I missed Alana’s birthday party and so sorry if I had you worried.” With that, Shirley laughs, “Sweet Lucille are you holding out on us? You have a new man in your life, don’t you? Look what we found here on your front porch screen?” Shirley carefully hands Lucille the most beautiful green leaf, one that looked quite familiar, to familiar. And in magnificent scroll, a note that said, “Ever so lovely fairy of the forest, come with me. Together and in harmony, might we find “The Last Leaf”….the red last leaf.... the true last leaf?”

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lucille climbed wearily up the back porch steps and sank gratefully down onto the glider. "Well, the animals are all taken care of and bedded down for the night," she thought, "Now I need to get a load of laundry started and pay some bills, then it's bedtime for me!" Looking around, she noticed her geraniums needed watering and ......"Oh, drat, didn't I just sweep this porch this morning?"
    Sweeping in a hurry, Lucille didn't notice the scraps of tiny wings, twigs and bark, and one last, perfect, vibrantly green leaf, entangled in all the debris. Hurrying inside, she decided to put the laundry off for another day, but..."I really need to pay the electric bill. Where is the checkbook? I put it in my purse this morning before I went for my walk, shoot, I left it in the truck....no...I brought everything in...it's not in the....."

Feeling that she was going to pass out, her spastic arms frantically reach for the red leather chair a few steps away. She sits with some relief, lays her head back and then again starts to think about the grotesque creatures in the forest, her fairy wings, a perfect green leaf….the weirdness of it all. She can not escape these thoughts. She whispers slowly to herself, “It all feels so real, so close. Am I losing my marbles? No! No! No! The ER DOC reassured me that I was fine, but I might be a bit punchy for a few days……Oh….and he told me to take it easy. But where…..my purse….my checkbook….. and that constant chanting. I need a cocktail or something”. Lucille lifts her tired body and heads for the bar in the great room. She pours herself a generous tumbler of Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey, enjoys a soothing, comfortable sip and sits down. She gazes to her left, and then to her right. Her eyes quickly fixate on her red and green plaid tote. Just then, knocks at the door stun her. “Lucille, Lucille, it is us, Shirley and Jeanne. Open the darn door.” She takes another sip of her whiskey and gently tip toes over to let her friends in. Concerned, Shirley belts out, “We were here earlier to pick you up for the FOTESS party. You did not answer the door. Is everything OK?” Before Lucille could answer, Jeanne happily chimes in, “Everyone was their. We all missed you. A party is not a party without you Lucille!” Lucille chuckles, “All is fine, It has been a long day….to difficult to explain. So sorry I missed Alana’s birthday party and so sorry if I had you worried.” With that, Shirley laughs, “Sweet Lucille are you holding out on us? You have a new man in your life, don’t you? Look what we found here on your front porch screen?” Shirley carefully hands Lucille the most beautiful green leaf, one that looked quite familiar, to familiar. And in magnificent scroll, a note that said, “Ever so lovely fairy of the forest, come with me. Together and in harmony, might we find “The Last Leaf”….the red last leaf.... the true last leaf?”

"No, no," laughed Lucille, a little uneasily, "I'm not holding out about a new love interest, really, I'm not". Which was certainly true.
    "Well, what is this, then, and what's it all about?" asked Jeanne, holding up the scroll.
    "I don't know." answered Lucille, "maybe an early Halloween trick or something. Look, ladies, I am really kind of tired, would you mind if I cut this short? I need to get to bed."
    "okay" said Shirley, "But what did you do to your head?"
    "Oh, that," gulped Lucille, "well, uh, gee, I hit my head on a post in the barn, nothing serious, it looks worse than what it is."
    "Maybe you should go to the ER" Jeanne suggested.
    "Been there, done that" thought Lucille. Out loud, she said "I will, in the morning, if it gets any worse, Good night guys," pushing them towards the door.
    She watched as they got in Jeanne's car, and started to drive away. Waving, she closed the door.
    "Whew!" she thought, "how was I going to start explaining everything that's happened since this morning?'
    She walked back in the house and picked up the red and green tote. Something about this tote reminded her of what she was about to do before her friends arrival.
    "Well," she said to herself, "No use standing around here and wondering. I'm just going to have to go back out there and get my purse. I KNOW that's where it is."
    "Now don't get all panic stricken, Lucille," she admonished herself. "All you did was trip on that root and hit your head. All the rest was just a weird dream. Nothing to be afraid of. I'll take the tote with me. And the scroll. And this wretched leaf. But I'm not going out there alone."
    She went to the back door and whistled Her two Afghan hounds, Vinnie and Willie, came leaping and bounding toward her from the barn.
    Fitting them with their collars and leashes, she started walking back down the road to the forest of tall trees that she had entered that morning.

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Happy Saturday! LOL!!!! Shirley,oh my Lucille is headed back to the forest???? Thank goodness, she is taking the HOUNDS, Vinie and Willie. Be safe Lucille????...or not????

Whose next to continue Lucilles adventures in "The Last Leaf"....Chapter 2????????????

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    10 years ago

Hi, everyone! Yes, I'll be hostess for November. I'll be thinking of an idea. Sorry not to have posted much lately, but you can't imagine how little has been going on here - just rest and recover... and go to see the doctors. I am almost feeling like I didn't have surgery so things are coming along now. My large incision opened up some last week so that was the latest to deal with. We got some new wound care instructions and it's starting to heal. However, waiting 3 days to get it checked sure had me stressed out!

I'm supposed to give a talk on Winter Sowing to my local Master Gardeners group in November so at least it looks like I'll be well enough to do that. I need to look back over my presentation from several years ago and update it.

Great story and as always, Shirley, you had a wonderful theme for your swap!

Jeanne

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey All! Just checking in. It's been a super busy weekend. Not enough time! Got lots done tho!

Jeanne, good to hear from you. Hope you got my emails. My email has been acting weird, some things go thro, some don't, some come back, and on and on!

Will get the prizes out soon. And I'll add to the story tomorrow night. Maybe someone else will chime in and help Lucille and the hounds!

Have a great Monday,
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Double post.
    Have a great Monday,
    Shirley!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 20:12

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

I've not had time for Lucille lately, but I will read the new chapter this coming weekend. I hope. By then, The Last Leaf may be a novella.
    Monday, Monday, can't trust that day. (The Mamas and The Papas)

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, maybe a mini-novella! We do have to be finished by the end of October!

Let's see what is going on with Lucille, the dogs and the Last Leaf!

"No, no," laughed Lucille, a little uneasily, "I'm not holding out about a new love interest, really, I'm not". Which was certainly true.
    "Well, what is this, then, and what's it all about?" asked Jeanne, holding up the scroll.
    "I don't know." answered Lucille, "maybe an early Halloween trick or something. Look, ladies, I am really kind of tired, would you mind if I cut this short? I need to get to bed."
    "okay" said Shirley, "But what did you do to your head?"
    "Oh, that," gulped Lucille, "well, uh, gee, I hit my head on a post in the barn, nothing serious, it looks worse than what it is."
    "Maybe you should go to the ER" Jeanne suggested.
    "Been there, done that" thought Lucille. Out loud, she said "I will, in the morning, if it gets any worse, Good night guys," pushing them towards the door.
    She watched as they got in Jeanne's car, and started to drive away. Waving, she closed the door.
    "Whew!" she thought, "how was I going to start explaining everything that's happened since this morning?'
    She walked back in the house and picked up the red and green tote. Something about this tote reminded her of what she was about to do before her friends arrival.
    "Well," she said to herself, "No use standing around here and wondering. I'm just going to have to go back out there and get my purse. I KNOW that's where it is."
    "Now don't get all panic stricken, Lucille," she admonished herself. "All you did was trip on that root and hit your head. All the rest was just a weird dream. Nothing to be afraid of. I'll take the tote with me. And the scroll. And this wretched leaf. But I'm not going out there alone."
    She went to the back door and whistled Her two Afghan hounds, Vinnie and Willie, came leaping and bounding toward her from the barn.
    Fitting them with their collars and leashes, she started walking back down the road to the forest of tall trees that she had entered that morning.

Lucille walked confindently down the darkening road, head high, nerves under control. She KNEW all the weirdness was just a result of hitting her head on that root. Nothing to worry about. Go get the purse, go home and write the check for the electric bill and go to bed.
    She paused for a second beside the old Magnolia tree.
    "Okay, the purse has to be somewhere right around here, let's see, where is it?" She scanned the area closely but saw nothing. "Well, maybe a little further on" she thought and took a few more steps down the path. "Watch for that darned root, be careful this time". So intent was she on avoiding the root, she missed the large rock and tripping, fell hard against the ground.
    "Oh no!" she thought, "not again!" But nothing seemed to be bruised but her pride. Vinnie and Wille were jumping and leaping all around her, making it hard to get up.
    Leaning on Willie to get up off her knees, she suddenly heard, in the distance, the sound of many voices chanting, "Give us the Last Leaf, Give us the Last Leaf"
    She looked around wildly, "This can't be happening!" Finally managing to get to her feet, she spied a group of very strange beings coming towards her. They had a look of dead tree stumps, short and stubby, with knarly arms and very ugly faces, and they smelled terribly.. "Give us the Last Leaf".
    They quickly surrounded her. "We know you have the Last Leaf in that tote, Give it to us, right now"
    Strangely, Lucille was not all that frightened. "Oh no," she said. "If I give this leaf to anyone, it's going to be those funny little guys with leafy ears. They need it to give to their mother, the Magnolia, so they can get to sleep for the winter."
    "Then we will take it by force", chorused the ugly ones.
    Lucille held the tote above her head in defiance. She turned to run, but got caught on Willie's leash, and at the same time Vinnie made a grab for the tote, snatched it out of Lucllles grip and took off running.
    "Come back, you fool," Lucille cried, "this isn't a game."
    The ugly, knarly smelly creatures pounded off down the path, in pursuit of Vinnie, who had disappeared into the trees. In less time than it takes to tell, Lucille was left alone, with just a bewildered Willie at her side.

Have a great Tuesday!
    Shirley!

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

I had completely forgotten about the "writing" item that goes with this swap. Today I received some pretty botanical note cards and a pocket planner from Suzanne, as well as three ink pens. Thank you Suzanne.
    Now-to whom do I send a "writing" item? Or was I the end for good and all?
    Alana

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alana, you were the "original" end of the line, story-wise. As you have probably noticed, I started a chapter two, with the intent of having you finish it, closer to the end of October, if you would.
    As far as sending someone something, I don't think you have to, if I have it figured right, everybody got something. Not sure how that worked out, but it did!

It has really turned cold here, I'm glad I got so much done outside, Sunday, looks like this coming weekend is going to be kind of crappy. A friend and I are going up to Chelsea, MI, on Saturday,to get pics of the Sandhill Cranes. And yes, this year, I'm taking the tripod! They have been seeing a "Whooper" at the Haenele Sanctuary, and I'm saying my prayers! Would love to see one of those birds! Hope the weather is good.

Happy Boss's Day to all the Boss's out there! Have a great day tomorrow!
    Shirley!

• kchd
    10 years ago

I need to sign on to this thread so I can be sure to get updates emailed to me about what happens next to our heroine! I haven't had any creative strokes of genius yet, so I'm just keeping quiet and enjoying the story.

Shirley, good luck on the Whoopers. I've never seen one in the wild!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone! Is everyone ready for the weekend? I know I am.
    Katie, I'm going to need lots of luck, I think I'm coming down with a cold, and it's supposed to be a really wet, rainy day on Saturday. Gonna wait it out and see. There will still be at least one more weekend while the Cranes are up there, so if I don't get to go Saturday, there might be another chance.
    For those of you who don't know, "Whoopers" are Whooping Cranes, the tallest bird in North America and one of only two cranes found in NA. The other being the Sandhill. Whoopers were on the verge of extinction, back in the 40s, but conservation efforts have brought them back to around 500; that's in the wild and in captivity. According to Wiki, there is only one truly wild flock left, and that's in Texas. They are very rare, would love to see one, even if I don't get any pics.
    We saw these Cranes at the International Crane Foundation in Baraboo, Wisconsin, a few years back. It was kind of funny, we all took turns, sitting and waiting, on the darned bird to stand up so we could get a good pic, it never did. And the other one just poked his head up above the brush.
    Hey, off to load up on cough medicine and motrin.
    Talk to ya all later!
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Everybody, hope ya all had a great weekend!

Well, I didn't have much luck with the Sandhills, and didn't see the Whooper, but got some really beautiful scenery shots. The leaves were just gorgeous!

Only saw one field with Sandhills in it, not sure what was going on. Maybe I was too early? I went later last year, and didn't see much, which is why I went earlier this year. Also, many of the fields still had the corn standing and some were left fallow. Not good for Sandhills. Thought I'd share this pic, as I said, the scenery was great!

Have a great week, All!
    Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    10 years ago

I'm going to post the November FOTESS Swap.
    We'll have lots of fun so I hope you will join in.
    Jeanne

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone, sorry I've been MIA, been battling the flu and still working long hours.

Just wanted to let Margo, Katie and Annie know that your Triple Whammy Bingo prizes are on their way - FINALLY!
    Sorry it took so long.

Thank again to everyone who helped write "The Last Leaf"
    And just so we don't leave Lucille in the lurch:

At last glance, Lucille was standing by the path, bewildered, and without what she thought was the last leaf, one of her Afghan hounds having made off with it. All of a sudden, the hound, Vinnie, I think, came running back with tatters of the leaf in his mouth.
    "Oh No," cried Lucille, "Now I have nothing to give Mother Magnolia tree and the little leaf eared critters will never get to go to their winter sleep".
    However, the other Afghan hound, Willie, I think, took off running back to the house and dug the REAL Last Leaf out of the pile of debris Lucille had swept off the porch. He brought it back to Lucille, who promptly gave it to Mother Magnolia tree, who was very grateful; so were the little leaf eared critters, who were yawning while they said thanks.
    Lucille picked her purse up out of the ditch, where it had fallen, went home and wrote out a check for her electric bill and FINALLY went to bed. WHEW!! The End!

Jeanne has posted the FOTESS swap for November and it really sounds like fun, be sure to check it out and join in!
    Have a great week, Everyone!
    Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    10 years ago

A very good end to the story, Shirley.
    Arg - the flu already? I haven't been able to get my shot yet because of my surgery... better get it soon I think!
    Jeanne

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

Sorry Shirley! I meant to get back to Lucille but just did not have time. Forgive my time management shortcomings.
    Abjectly apologetic,
    Alana

• sjc48
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alana, no need for apologies, abject or otherwise. I owe you an apology for not remembering that I had asked you to finish and then jumped in and finished it myself. Sorry, I think!

Yeah, Jeanne, the flu, or a pretty darned good intimation of it. I missed two days of work, but worked sick for most of the last ten days. I can't take many kinds of meds, so it got pretty ugly at times. But, all is well now, hopefully that will be IT for the winter!

Talk to ya all later,
    Shirley!

• smitties
    10 years ago

Getting ready for work but wanted to stop in and thank Shirley for the prize I received yesterday. She sent me a dishtowel with herb design on it and I love it. We are going to be redoing our kitchen in an herb theme so this fits perfectly. There was also a package of zinnia seeds, Zahara Raspberry Lemonade which I need to look up because they sound delightful. Who doesn't like zinnias?

Thanks Shirley and I promise to come back soon to see how the story is going. Margo

• beth_b_kodiak
    10 years ago

Nice wrap up Shirley. Thanks.
    I thought about Lucille from time to time bu, with no inspiration and no time to give it any deep thought, I'm glad to have her safe and all the little forest folk getting ready for a good winter's sleep.
    This was a fun swap and I hope to do the story theme again.

• kchd
    10 years ago

I got my prize in the mail today. Some lovely herb-themed hot pads, oven mitt, and dish towel; in my favorite color: green! And some winter butternut squash seeds. Yum! We cook these on the grill quite often. Thank you so much, Shirley!!

Happy Halloween!

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Shirley,

I received my perfect prize yesterday!!!!! So very appropriate for me...LOL...a dish towel displaying a divine bottle of Pinot Noir, with a wine glass 3/4 full and a bunch of grapes...what can I say, delicious! Also included were seeds, Calendula Nana Fruit Twist, which I do not have. In fact, I have not heard of this variety. I love Calendua...great reseeders!!

Thanks so much Shirley for hosting "The Last Leaf"...Chapter I and II. You wrote a very nice and safe ending for Lucille. She did have quite a journey.

Happy November!!

Annie