Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poisondartfrog

WLOMWL and Theme Garden Swaps?

poisondartfrog
11 years ago

Who's hosting this year/are they happening? These are two of the best swaps every year.

Alana

Comments (37)

• jlee160
    11 years ago

Also looking forward to wlomwl swap. It was so much fun last year.

• patrob
    11 years ago

I love the WLOMWL swap and look forward to it every year!

• Michelle Reynolds
    11 years ago

I would be willing to host eather, unless someone else wants to. Conisider me as last resort as I a bit of a lazy host. I don't cross reference all the seeds sent in. And I promis to be more carfull about getting dc# for those that want it.
    Michelle

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    11 years ago

I've done the Theme Garden Swap twice and it's a lot of fun. Hope we have one this year and many people participate. It gets everyone's creative juices flowing. I have my themes all ready; can't wait. Thanks Michelle for offering to host. I'm sure you will do a great job. I've never participated in the 'What's Left on my Want List ' Swap. Had to look that one up. Sounds interesting. Might try that one if it happens.

• drippy
    11 years ago

Hi, folks - I cannot host the Theme Garden Swap this year; too much 'stuff' - nothing bad, just 'knee deep in the hoopla' - going on. Maybe one day my life will get more organized again, but for now, I will be happy if someone else hosts the Theme Garden Swap. I will give any email support I can.

Jeanne (Sandlapper Rose) hosted this last year, and did a fine job. Maybe she will check into this thread & let us know where she stands. Micyrey, you are a great host - you might want to pick one or the other, though, they're both monumental swaps (as you know from doing WLOMWL).

• Michelle Reynolds
    11 years ago

hi
    no I dont think I could run both swaps since they usualy both go at the same time, unless they are combined into one swap, adding the themes to your want lists. but they are such good swaps I dont want to eliminate one.
    if we did one in nov/dec and one in jan/feb I could do both. everyone would have to be rilly good about sending on time.
    michelle

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jeanne's on vacation, I think. She may be planning on hosting
    The Theme Swap. I'll bet she let's us know as soon as she sees this and we can go from there.
    Michelle, you did a fine job with the WLOMWL swap last year....just saying, if you have time, lol.
    Alana

• primrose1x3
    11 years ago

Would anyone be interested in a Moonflower garden theme with a slightly literary twist and tempered with variations that different situations with respect to climate/sun-shade/etc would inspire and sprinkled with complementary elements?

I would imagine that this has been done before, so will understand if this is not a good idea.

For me, it would be fun to contemplate white owls on summer evenings when the nights are white in January-February (not often true in Maryland, but we do get cooped up on our hill when it's icy and a diversion like this would be much appreciated).

Use me as a last resort, too, because I've never hosted a swap before.

Karen

• velsgarden
    11 years ago

I cant hardly wait for the wlomwl swap.It is my all time favorite.
    Velvet

• peaches0104
    11 years ago

I'm interested, is it still happening?

• sguanzon
    11 years ago

I would be interested in the WLOMWL swap -- anyone know whatever happened to pattygrow5 who started that swap?

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The last time I heard from her was when I hosted it two years ago. She had moved and had only intermittent internet access but hoped to be able to come back and host it again last year. We did not hear from her when the time came.
    I hope she is fine and just focused on other interests.

• Michelle Reynolds
    11 years ago

Hi
    I will go ahead and post sign ups for the theme garden soon so start going through you seeds( that is what I'm gonna do today)and think about your themes.
    I will do the WLOMWL swap in jan/feb
    Look for the sign up post later.
    Michelle

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Michelle,
    Did Jeanne say she wasn't hosting the theme swap?
    I would wait until she gets back before you take on both of those swaps-bless your heart! I almost remember her saying last year that she would be back to do it this year but I can't find it. We should hear from her soon.
    Alana

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I should have added that if you do get tasked with both of them, let me know if I can help you in any way.

• Michelle Reynolds
    11 years ago

hello
    I will send her an email she got home earlyer
    I know she has been very buisy and wanted to less swaps, but maybe she had already planed to do the theme.
    i'll let you know
    michelle
    ps thanks I will let you know, you are always a big help.huggs

• sandlapper_rose
    11 years ago

Just so everyone will know, I arrived back home safely today. Michelle is welcome to be hostess for the Theme Garden Swap if she is willing. It is my favorite seed swap so I will certainly particpate.
    (I would have been hostess if the option was it wouldn't be held, but I certainly welcome a new volunteer to be hostess.)
    Jeanne

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yipee! Michelle, let me know if you need anything. I already know my themes, lol.
    I just wanted to be sure Jeanne did not come home to find a swap she had planned on hosting had taken off without her.
    I hope our East Coast friends are okay today.
    Alana

• patrob
    11 years ago

Having the WLOMWL swap later is not too good for those of us in not climates. If I don't transplant to the garden before late April, new plants just burn up.

• velsgarden
    11 years ago

I agree with patrob.for those that wintersow,some seeds need some warm,cold, warm,times too sprout.Just an idea.

• velsgarden
    11 years ago

bump

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maybe Michelle would be open to someone who can host earlier taking it over if someone can do it?
    Michelle?

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, I should have elaborated a bit. I like an earlier time frame too, but there did not seem to be a lot of interest in hosting either of the swaps and Michelle saved us from losing them. I wonder if there could be an early and late edition or some other solution? I'm just brainstorming here.
    That's what happens when I get to spend a morning at home, lol.

• Michelle Reynolds
    11 years ago

hello
    if someone else wants to host the WLOMWL swap that is fine. I had it so hopfully people would have their theme garden swap seeds back and know what they would still want on their list.
    doing the WLOMWLS in jan and seeds back by the end of feb I thought would work out ok
    michelle

• velsgarden
    11 years ago

Hope you dont think Im being ugly,but I just dont think that is enough time for sowing some of the perennials.I wish I could host but I just dont have the time.Maybe someone will chime in to help you.I hope so.I really love this swap.

• velsgarden
    11 years ago

Bump

• patrob
    11 years ago

I would be willing to host the WLOMWL Swap this year so that we could have it at the same time of year we normally do: start now, sign up and post final lists until Dec. 9, mail in by Jan. 7, mail back no later than Jan. 24.

I am retired after nearly forty years in public education. I was a high school English and Spanish teacher and then a counselor for the last ten years before retiring.

I have been a member of GardenWeb for eleven years, but I am pretty much an unknown to most GardenWebbers. I used to trade plants all over the country, but postage went up a lot and, unfortunately, the quality of plants went down. I now trade plants in person at swap meets. I want the WLOMWL Swap to be huge as always, so if my hosting would cause anyone to be reluctant to participate, I'd rather not do it.

I have not hosted a seed swap before, but I am capable of handling details and quantity. I was in charge of creating the master schedule for my high school and scheduling students for their classes without a computer program to do it and was in charge of all state-mandated testing for the four campuses in the district.

I have organized and kept spreadsheets for several large iris sales for Denise Stewart of Snowpeak Iris and the Pacific Northwest iris growers' association and for another co-op organizer on another popular gardening website. GardenWeb just prevented me from posting a link to my feedback page there. E-mail me at pat46rob@gmail.com if you'd like to see my references.

I will NOT have my feelings hurt if the group prefers to use a better known host.

• sandysgardens
    11 years ago

Pat - Sounds good to me!

Sandy

• Michelle Reynolds
    11 years ago

hi
    it is all yours pat, I know you from many swaps.
    michelle

• patrob
    11 years ago

Thanks, Sandy and Michelle. We need to give this a little time and see what others think.

• elliesfun
    11 years ago

Whatever is decided, I want to sign up. I usually start winter sowing in February.

Ellie

• sguanzon
    11 years ago

I think Patrob would be an EXCELLENT choice to host the WLOMWL swap and I am so appreciative that you have stepped forward and offered. This is the swap I look forward to every year - I know it's a lot of work but you sound so well organized I'm sure it will be a great success so - go for it!

• velsgarden
    11 years ago

Sounds great to me.

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wonderful Pat! Thank you for sharing your organizational skills with us.
    Michelle, you are the best!
    There is still time to sign up for the Theme Garden swap too, so if anyone is interested sign up soon. There are some fun themes posted already.
    Crisis averted thanks to Michelle and Pat!

• primrose1x3
    11 years ago

Pat, you and others may know me as Bluespiral on other websites, and I have so enjoyed the times we have crossed paths while trading elsewhere. I, too, can vouch for Pat as an excellent choice to lead this swap.

Michelle, for stepping in when it looked like no one else would, and for keeping things going here and the job you're doing for the theme swap - a big humongous thank you from me.

Poisondartfrog, you Enabler, you :) lol! You are doing a superb job in the Cheerleader section, and I cannot foresee a time when I will stop laughing today at the thought of a cheerleader with a moniker like Poisondart frog. An old definition of truth has to do with "hitting the mark", and it's a main criterion of a good writer. If you do ever write something for folks to read just for the pleasure of it, I hope you'll let us know.

Wordily,
    Bluespiral/Primrose1x3

• patrob
    11 years ago

Thanks,everyone. Bluespiral, of course, I know you, but I had no idea who Primrose 1x3 was!

I'm working on the signup thread and will post it later today. I appreciate Michelle, Alana, and Patty for having hosted so well before me and hope this year's swap comes close to the ones in the past. I'll do my best.

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Karen, you are a caution!