Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniebomm

UPDATE: Neighborhood Tropical Swap Partners!

anniebomm
14 years ago

Okay! (Deep breath!)

I think I did it. Gave everybody a partner to send to and receive a box from! I tried to make it so that everyone would receive something that they were looking for from their list of things they wanted.

Here's the list:

Theresa sends to Nancy (restec)

Nancy sends to Dorothy (dimples)

Dorothy sends to Deb (debbya)

Norma sends to Tina (tina_2)

Darlene sends to Frances (fcoffill)

Frances sends to Chell (chellflower)

Ann sends to Norma (Bigmama)

Tina sends to Darlene (dcarpenter)

Deb sends to Theresa (threas)

Chell sends to Ann (anninthegarden)

Please contact your partner and have fun! Remember to send delivery confirmation # when you send the package. Let us know what you got in your package--pictures are always wonderful!

Have fun! :)

(I do hope I got everyone on here. Did I?)

If you have any questions, please post them here or contact me directly.

-Ann

Comments (77)

• chellflower
    14 years ago

Ann,

I've sent two emails your way...somehow they must be getting lost in cyberspace.

Please email me your addy... I'm filling a box full of goodies for you and heading to the PO today ;)

Chell

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Chell
    DC# 0308 0660 0001 2377 2827

I hope everything makes it in good shape!

Frances

• chellflower
    14 years ago

Frances...wow! Sounds like a super cool box 'O goodies, can't wait to see it! Thanks!!!!

Nancy, I mailed your sideswap box today too. Here's your Del. Conf # 0308 2040 0000 2351 1515

Ann, I got your email (yes it went thru, yeah!) I sent a 'reply' so it should reach you...I still need your PO addy to send your box.

Y'all have a good night!

• dimples31312
    14 years ago

Deb your package with out yesterday there is your D.C. # 03082040000174655281
    Dorothy

• dimples31312
    14 years ago

Nancy! Your box just arrived. So many plants and cutting!
    Thank you so much for all the wounder plants
    Will post a list a little later, got to go plant now.
    Thanks again
    BIG HUGS
    Dorothy

• threas
    14 years ago

Nancy, your box went out today! Confirmation # is:
    0309 0330 0000 9449 9793.

Theresa

• anniebomm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad that everything is going well! I'm hoping that we'll see some pictures of goodies soon!
    Chell, I don't know why I didn't get your emails initially. I'm wondering if I can't get it throgh the GW site? Would a few of you try to reach me via the link on my GW page, please? (And also let me know here that you did?) Please and thank you.
    -Ann

• threas
    14 years ago

Ann, I just emailed you thru GW. Subject line is titled "Testing 123".

Theresa

• anniebomm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Theresa.

Nope. Dang. Does not work.

My email address is fine, but not through the GW link.
    Wonder what I've missed? :(

• retsec
    14 years ago

Ann, did you get my email about the sweet potato vine?
    Nancy

• chellflower
    14 years ago

Ann,

Got your email with addy, thanks. I'll try to mail your box in the morning before work. Sorry to hear about the storm, hope ya get your 'puter back on soon ;)

Chell

• threas
    14 years ago

Nancy & Chell,have you gotten my emails?Chell, I replied to yours. Nancy, I sent you one. LMK.

Theresa

• anniebomm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nancy,

I did not. Was up in the middle of the night and I think I mailed you, but not sure. Will send again!
    Also, I now have my email address posted on my GW page, so if you use the address directly, I hope it works!
    I still have plants, if anyone is interested, I'd especially like to find homes for a few of the Colocasias.

-Ann

• retsec
    14 years ago

Treas and anninthegarden, I emailed both of you back through GW. Let me know if you received it.
    Nancy

• chellflower
    14 years ago

Ann, I mailed your box this morning..conf.# 0307 1790 0002 0016 0477 Let me know when it arrives! ;)
    I would be happy to trade with you for some of your colocasias (esp. frydeck, heart of jungle)...let me know if you're interested..

Nancy, I recieved your box today... looked as if the PO used it to play football, but everything arrived in great shape..even the begonias still look happy!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!!

Y'all have a great evening!
    Chell

• retsec
    14 years ago

Chell, received your box today also. Everything looks good except one being broken but I'll just root the top and make another one.
    Nancy
    retsec

• threas
    14 years ago

Nancy, I got your email. I replied back.
    Chell, did you get my email?

What goodies did you guys get?

Theresa

• tina_2
    14 years ago

Hi Norma - Did you, get my email on Monday Oct. 5 ?
    I sent you, my address with the list
    of plants I wanted. Plmk.
    Thank you. tina_2

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

Dorothy's package arrived last night, thank you so much Dorothy for such a nice selection of plants! Everything traveled well! I'll be back later to post what Dorothy sent, I only have a few minutes online. I did not send my package out to Theresa yet, our temps dropped this week (too chilly to send delicate strep cuttings out) and a light dusting of snow is expected for a few days! Hopefully next week is better! Monday's a holiday (kids are off school) so I'm assuming the PO is closed? I'll try to mail my package on Tuesday. It has to warm up again, doesn't it? Crazy weather! ;)

Deb

• retsec
    14 years ago

I received my package from my swap partner, Treas, today. Boy what a package. The plants and cuttings look great and must have taken a while to wrap and package. I got the following:
    5 packs different brug seed, 5 packs different echinacea seeds, 1 pack fritillaria meleagris seed, 1 pack araujia sericiferi seed, a tropical hibiscus, iochroma australe, 2 kinds hens and chicks, vigna caracalla cuttings, purple bells iochroma, red iochroma, crossandra, spiral ginger, curcuma alismatifolia, dwarf cavendisa banana pup, pink crown of thorns, kalanchoe, red abutilon, Moses in a basket, Thanksgiving cactus, variegated kiss me over the garden gate, and 6 brug cuttings. I have them all potted up. Treas, I am so glad you were my partner. Will be sending you a box of goodies next week.

I also did a side trade with Chell. She sent a great box also. I got hosta, mandarin plants, pothos ivy, wandering jew (2 kinds), coleus cuttings, culinary ginger, snake plant, blushing philodendron, chinese evergreen, arrow vine, basket plant 2 desert roses, pink kalanchoe, hoya fungii, and 2 plumeria. Potted all these up yesterday.

I have been potting a lot this week. My husband says he'll have to build another green house before winter. I did another big trade with someone on another garden site also. We're getting rain today and 70% chance tomorrow so I don't have to water what's outside today.

Come on everybody, let us know what you got.
    Nancy
    retsec

• anniebomm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Today WAS going to be a restful day, raining hard so I can't go to work. I was going to play with my plants, answer mail, etc. Instead, I am just now getting home and am about ready for bed!
    I have to hold my partner's plants until she gets back from vacation. I've heard from Nancy, Chell, and Darlene about side swaps, and I'll get back to you all asap!
    But not tonight! I'm completely wiped out. Going to veg for awhile.
    -Ann

• chellflower
    14 years ago

Frances, I recieved my box today.. everything arrived fresh and packed nicely. Thanks for such a wonderful box Partner!!
    Here's what Frances sent me: Anthurium-white, Tecoma Stans, 2 brugs, many vaieties of coleus cuttings, giant pineapple lily, variegated pink geranium, scented geranium, green & pink sweet potato vines, 2 hawarthia, and a couple succulent varieties.

Here's what I recieved from my side trade with Nancy: white, purple and variegated bleeding heart vines, variegated bouganvilla, 2 varigated hibiscus, dragon flower, and at least a dozen begonias!!! Nancy, I managed to ID some of the Noids you sent...if you'd like I'll send you the names so you can label your mother plants. Thanks again for sharing!!!

Threas, I got your email and sent you a list of my haves Wednesday...did you get it?!?? Let me know if I need to re-send, okay.

Y'all have a good night!
    Chell

• threas
    14 years ago

Chell, I didn't get your Email. I'm so sick of not receiving them. I can't figure out why!?!

Nancy, I'm so glad you liked your goodies! LMK, if anything needs replacing.

Theresa

• anniebomm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Theresa,

GW is aware of the problem, and they are trying to figure out why people aren't getting mail through the links here. It's not just us!

Here's the link to their email test:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/html/msg101553116355.html

I always assume that it's my computer, or something I've done wrong, but apparently, that's not the case this time!

-Ann

• threas
    14 years ago

Ann, thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
    Who knows?!? Other GWer's are sending directly to my email & I'm not receiving them. And some were sent thru GW and I received them.
    Can you guys email me thru GW & threas@rcn.com ? I'll see what happens.

Theresa

• dimples31312
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    Back with a list of the wonderful Plants that Nancy sent to me. :o)

Swiss Cheese Plant
    Red Dragon Flower
    Pineapple Lily
    Red"Naked Lady" Spider Lilies
    Bay Leaf cuttings
    2 white butterfly Ginger
    Pine cone ginger
    Bengal Tiger Canna
    Variegated Shell Ginger
    unknown Ginger
    purple turns pink Bromeliad
    Princess Flower
    3 types of hoya
    Variegated Perreromi
    Sweet Olive Cuttings
    Weedelia
    Variegated Hibiscus
    Purple Bleeding Heart Vine
    Variegated Bleeding Heart Vine
    White Bleeding Heart Vine
    Queen of Tears Bromeliad
    Night Blooming Cactus White

Are all the BH Vines?

Thanks you again Nancy for all the wonderful plants.
    Your the greatest!
    Dorothy

• retsec
    14 years ago

Yes Dorothy, all the bleeding hearts are vines. You should have a hidden ginger also. Maybe I marked one of the white butterfly gingers wrong. Glad you liked the plants and hope they do well for you.

Chell, I would love to have the names of the begonias so I can label mine. Thanks.

Nancy

• anniebomm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nancy and Theresa, you've got mail!

-Ann

• anniebomm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I got a box from Chell today! Everything arrived healthy and happy, well-wrapped and labeled! Thanks, Chell!

Today was all plants, all day, since we are expecting a killing frost tonight! I've been shuffling plants around, making room under lights, pulling the last of them into the house, (making my son lug in the heavy ones)
    I know this sounds cliched, but I did not know I had so many! It certainly will be green inside all winter, and that's good for the soul--no complaints!

-Ann

• chellflower
    14 years ago

Ann, so glad you're happy with your box! Thanks for hosting this round and doing such a great job!

Nancy, I sent you an email with the begonia IDs I have so far.

Threas, I emailed you the list again thru G'web this time..let me know if it went thru or not.

• retsec
    14 years ago

Chell, I didn't get the email.
    Nancy

• bigmama4ever
    14 years ago

hi people , im in san fransisco, hadnot been hable to check my mail and such, tina i send your box before i left you should have gotten it by now..it went out on wed, confimation is at home..wont be home till the end of the week..let me know..

• threas
    14 years ago

Chell, I got your email. I'll reply in a minute.
    Norma, hope you are having fun!

Theresa

• anniebomm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Norma, hope you are having fun. Still holding onto your plants until I know you'll be home to get them!

-Ann

• tina_2
    14 years ago

Hi - I received my box! Here's what I got from Norma:

begonia cuttings
    coleus cuttings
    philodendron cuttings
    hoya cuttings
    canna plant
    banana plant
    oxalis bulbs
    unknown bulb

Ps. Norma can you email and tell me any info.
    on the banana and do you have any info.
    on the unknown bulb?
    Thank you. tina_2

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Bumty bump bump!

Hello everyone! cold enough for y'all yet???? wet and chilly here this week! brrrrrrr (I know you are all thinking ha 50's isn't cold, but...... I SAY BRRRRRR just like Canada in summer!

I recieved a HUGE box from Dianne!

Canna - Bengal Tiger (the leaves are even prettier in person!)
    Canna Wyoming
    St Johnswort
    Atrimesia, Oriental Limelight 9Wow this is pretty and not at all what I was expecting, totally different than my 'wormwood!
    Lions Tail
    Jerusalem Artichokes
    2 groundcover sedums (I havent got the names handy)
    Persicaria - Red Dragon

I think thats it, waiting for it to warm up a bit, want to get these things planted pronto!

Thanks so much for such a great looking box of plants!

Frances

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

Again this week has been sooo cold, too chilly to ship anything 'live' out. I'm sorry Theresa my box is going to be late. Monday looks better, finally- 54*
    Usually October is mild, so far we had several frosts, tons of freezing rain. Everything is brown and dreary and dormant looking! I'll post the DC number when the box goes out Monday.

Again, sorry for the delay! I never expected the weather to change overnight! We went from upper 70's to 30-40* drastically!

Deb

• threas
    14 years ago

Deb, don't worry about it!! No problem! :)
    Chell, your box won't be mailed out until sometime next week. We are having back to back Noreasters!!! Too much wind and rain to go outside.I hope this isn't an indication of the winter weather!!!

Theresa

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

Oh Geez, I swore I posted a list of what Dorothy sent. I had a few extra minutes this morning and went back to read the posts, and my post is missing. I'm so sorry Dorothy for not checking to make sure my post went through the first time! ;)

Dorothy sent a really cool mother of thousands plant, I love it!
    Banana baby/"Little Prince" (another one of my favs)
    Brug "Frosty pink" & unknown brug cutting
    Myer Lemon (I've always wanted a lemon tree), Black Elephant ear (love the color), Hardy morning glory, rubber vine, Black eyed Susan vine, burgandy swamp hibiscus.

Dorothy,
    Thank you so much for the wonderful box! Everything was well packed, well labeled and traveled really good. Is the rubber vine a houseplant?

Thanks so much, I love everything you sent!

Hugs,
    Deb

• threas
    14 years ago

Sounds like some great plants!
    Nancy, I got the box of goodies today. Thank you so much!

Theresa

• chellflower
    14 years ago

Threas,

No problem.

I mailed your box Thursday morning...was gonna email you after work but I got sick, went home and stayed on the couch all day.

conf. # 0307 1792 0002 0016 0750
    Let me know when your box arrives...
    Chell

• bigmama4ever
    14 years ago

hiya all, im back, great road trip, wanted to dig things up in calif, but i controled myself, i did pick up a log with a hole bout 3 ft high, and an unusual rock, i colect them, i rec my box from ann loved the begonias, and the ee ears so nice..some coleouses..tina i made a list of the plants and i totaly forgot to put it in the box, totaly, ill e you with info..

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Dianne

planting my canna I found a couple of seeds in the package, they look like large elongated pumpkin seeds, any idea what these might be?

Have a great day everyone, still painting here! dragging plants in and out for this crazy weather is wearing thin! Hope you are staying warm and enjoying the pre holiday MADNESS (is it just me or are the stores looking "Christmassy" early this year?)

Frances

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

Our weather is finally better, 60's!
    I couldn't believe how cold it turned so quickly. I have a feeling this winter is going to be unbearable!

Theresa's box went out Tuesday, USPS#0308 2040 0000 7895 9256.

I'm sure the strep leaves should be ok, I've heard that strep leaves can be placed in the fridge (to keep them fresh) until planting. I've never tried it, so have no idea if it really works.

If the leaves arrive limp, spray them with a little bit of warm water, wait until they plump back up before propagating.

Better make this short, I have to clean ALL day!

Hugs,
    Deb

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

I spoke too soon, LOL! The high on Saturday is 45* yuck.
    It's going to rain for the next several days too.
    Hopefully my box travels quickly. ;)

Deb

• threas
    14 years ago

Thanks, Deb!!! The package is in NJ. Hopefully it should arrive here tomorrow.
    Our weather is in the 70's for a few days.
    Chell, your side swap should be going out in the morning.
    Theresa

• threas
    14 years ago

Deb, TY. Got The package. TTYL. I'm at work.
    Thank you so much again!!!

Theresa

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

Theresa,
    I'm so glad the package made it ok. I'll have a lot more to share in the spring. So, if any of these don't make it, ask to be paired up with me in a swap. I lost so many plants when my Mom died. I had to re-purchase almost everything. Lots of my stuff is still small and needs to grow. My plant stand is totally full now- after several plant shows, plant orders/trades. By spring, I'm sure everything will need to be trimmed. My favorite (that I sent) are the variegated streps. When they first came out on ebay they were $300 each! What a collector doesn't pay when they want something badly!

Youtube has strep propagation videos, Rob's violet barn has lots of strep info (plus step by step) instructions on how to prop leaves.

I also have some scented streps, mini streps, and a huge scented strep that's a monster in size! Most have to wait until spring before I can harvest leaves. Plus, I have "Silverglades" named violets (from South Africa) around 72 varieties.

Deb

• threas
    14 years ago

Deb, All my strep leaves are still alive! LOL Can't wait to see that first baby! I just bought two small strep plants from Plantmaniac off ebay: Helter Skelter and Batik! They are so beautiful! I can send you a piece of leaf of each if you would like. LMK Here's a pic with one of my AV's in the foreground.

These are my two Dwarf Cavendishes, left outside a little too long and a Pygmy Date Palm in my family room. DH built boxes to elevate plants so they don't take up so much room on the floor. I put uplights under them, very dramatic!
    {{gwi:408294}}{{gwi:1302753}}

Chell, did your box from me show up?

Theresa

• chellflower
    14 years ago

Threas, I recieved your box. It arrived Monday but it was raining and our mail lady doesn't leave them out in rain so she left me a pink slip. I picked up the box Tuesday at the PO...everything was packed securely and in good shape.
    Thanks for the trade!
    Chell