Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sguanzon

new: obf nov turkeytime/bountiful harvest swap

sguanzon
16 years ago

{{gwi:1297505}}

OurBloomin Friends Friendship Swap Group was created to have a reliable, fair and safe haven to swap and trade between the group members. If you care to join us, we would love to have you. Please be a successful member of garden web and have had a trade with one of our members. Membership requests should be directed to veeja11 (carol ) via email.

Welcome to the November OBF swap! Signups through October 31st!

This month's theme is Thanksgiving TurkeyTime/Bountiful Harvest/Cornucopia of Friendship.

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays - I love getting up early and starting the Thanksgiving dinner, watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and later, football! And the challenge of making everything and getting it all on the table at the same time (and warm - LOL!). Just love the whole thing. Then the next day, we start decorating the house for Christmas (after the sales of course!).

Some of us have had a Bountiful harvest this summer but, sadly, some of us have not :( If you feel like sharing plants, bulbs or seeds, please do so.......

maybe even a squash from your garden for Thanksgiving dinner!

If you will be able to mail in time to receive by Thanksgiving, please include a Turkey in the box (turkey on a towel, salt/pepper shaker, turkey figure for the table, whatever!).

A family recipe you enjoy making for Thanksgiving and would like to share would be great as well!

As for hostess gifts this month, I would like to request, instead, that you donate a non-perishable food item to your local food bank, church, or charitable organization if you can.

Remember, signups until Oct 31st, mail in time to receive by Thanksgiving if at all possible. Let's have fun!

Comments (97)

• sguanzon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh my I guess this will likely be it so I'll post the partners later this morning. Got to run and get potting soil as soon as the stores open.

What kind of potting mix do you use for your containers? Does everybody make their own or is there an "all-purpose" one that you've found to be just as good? Just wondering......

Be back later with the list!

Sue G.

• sguanzon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, here we go. Remember if you are sending turkey/thanksgiving themed items please send in plenty of time for Thanksgiving.

Veeja11 sends to Mellen
    Mellen sends to Cedarnest
    Cedarnest sends to Remy
    Remy sends to NYvoice99
    NYvoices99 sends to Debbya
    Debbya sends to Sguanzon
    Sguanzon sends to Veeja11

Hope this looks ok to everyone.
    If you need your partner's address please ask them. Also, if you need their questionnaire.
    I have questionnaires from several months back so I may be able to help too but verify the address.

Have fun!

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Sassy,
    Gorgeous flowers! My brug(plain white) bloomed right through light frost though the rim of the flowers got slightly damaged. All in all I was quite surprised.

Carol,
    You're welcome : )

Sue,
    I buy large bags of potting mix. I used to get Pro Mix, but the one local nursery started carrying another brand that is a bit cheaper but good quality that begins with a B. I can't remember the name! It is a grey bag with green printing and it says professional mix. It is going to drive me nuts that I can't remember!
    Remy

• veeja11
    16 years ago

wow I get miss Mellen, please send me your addy and a wish list it has been awhile, I'm excited. hugs carol

• beth_b_kodiak
    16 years ago

HI ALL!!!
    I got two messages from Sue and realize I better get on over here and say HELLO.
    I am alive and kicking. Actually, I feel like kicking my heels up and dancing and that is a great improvement over this summer. I was just not happy here. (in Maryland) That took me much by surprise and I have been intent on figuring out how to fix that situation. I used to tell complainers who worked for me... "if you don't like it here, then either do something about it or shut up."
    Shutting up didn't fix anything for me so I tried to decide what to do about it?????
    Well, I'm selling the house and hitting the road again. I loved that travel I did with travel nursing and still want to see more places and people. I hope to travel until I run out of time, energy,money, or places to see. If I find "paradise" here on this earth, I may stay a long time but I'm sure not ready to settle down here/yet. I'm know a lot of folks think this is crazy but....
    NOW... This is a sort of "Last Call"
    If anyone wants garden books or magazines for postage,
    Or some LG or XL hospital scrubs for postage please let me know. I hate to take this stuff to the dump or to the Salvation Army.
    I'd prefer to do flat rate priority as those boxes are so accessible but I can do a few at book rate. Looks like about 5 pounds to a box of magazines, heavier for hard cover books.
    All for now and have fun on your swaps
    Beth

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi Beth,
    Glad you stopped by : ) I don't think what you're doing is crazy at all. Of course my father drove the entire US once. That is how he decided to retire to Key Largo later on. Of all the places he went, he liked it best. He does fit in down there with all the other strange old men, lol.
    I'm interested in books. I'll send you an email.
    Remy

• skohler
    16 years ago

HI Beth GO For it We only live One time in life they say SO Just go for it.
    I know if & when anything happens here & I have this big place all to myself I plan to go allot more places .

well you ladies have a great week . Anita Well try to get your seeds out to you as soon as they are ready mybe by end of the week.

susie

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Beth, Good for you !!! you gonna stop here again ?Life is too short not to enjoy it. so way to go girl. promise to keep in touch tho. I have missed you. can you do a squirrel swap from the road ? big hugs good luck and lotsa love
    carol

• beth_b_kodiak
    16 years ago

Hello. I want to send a quick thanks to those who are providing homes to my books and magazines. Strange how much I hated to throw those out.
    Carol I'll make it a point to stop so I can see your new house and Gardens. I want to see Jeanette again too! What has become of her? It may take me a year to get there but I sure will. I miss you too.
    I miss everyone and all the friendly chatter. Once I figure out a routine... I'll be in an occasional non plant swap. Guess that could include the crazy squirrels. LOL
    I still have lots of squirrley stuff.

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Look forward to seeing you again Beth, I also want to know what has happened to our angel. remember I told you to take the job at Denali ?knew you weren't ready to retire. look forward to buying gifts for my november pal. hugs carol

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Beth,
    You know I will definitely enjoy all the reading material you send!: ) I know how you feel about throwing them out. I have a hard time throwing seed catalogs out!

Anita,
    I got your name again! It must be fate: ) I feel like I must have something that needs to go to you, but I don't know what it is, lol. Hopefully, I'll figure out something you will love!
    Remy

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Remy..Your box from me was sent off yesterday 0103 8555 7491 8254 1558 Hope you like what I picked for you.Oh before I forget..I just about laughed myself silly at your email with the 70's styles..Oh My Gawd..what a blast from the past!!

You all will have to excuse me for not getting online to post more in the group..I have been doing alot of extra volunteer work and theres not enough hours in the day I have found out quick..Things have just been crazy around here...lol..I'm sure you all can relate.Hey..I think of you all often tho.Should be able to get on and chat more very soon.Talk to you all later : )
    Nancy

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Ok proud parents and grannys I have started a new bf photo thread for pics of your yards and spooks. earthly where is that lil darling ? hope to see all those cuties soon. my sad front lawn is posted. hugs friends
    carol

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

Remy,
    Yes, I think you are right (Fate) I am so not a picky person, see that's why you have not figured out yet what you have living with you that also needs to live with me:)

Debby,
    Looking forward to sending to you:) Will make sure I still have your info sheet, if not, I'll E-mail you for it.

:)Anita

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

Debby,
    YIKES!!! You have no Have/Want list? Help:)Anita

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Anita,
    I've always had a 'Have/Want' list before? GW deleted it! (I just checked) Ahhh! I'll update my GW page hopefully tonight.

Deb

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi All,
    My box from Nancy was waiting for me when I finally(it has been a long day) got home tonight! In it was
    A big bag of pumpkin potpourri which will be great for in the steamer on top of the wood burning stove
    A very cute wooden hanging plaque with a turkey on it and a silly saying
    An Aromatherapy book
    Tulip bulbs, you know I love the bulbs
    and last but not least, irises, possibly Argus Pheasant, but if not that's fine; I've never met an iris I didn't like : )
    Thanks so much Nancy! The beginning of next week is suppose to be nice so I'll enjoy being out there planting.
    I'm glad you got a kick out of those pics! It is scary that I remember all those clothes.

Have a good night everyone,
    Remy

• mellen
    16 years ago

Nancy, I will be sending your Thanksgiving box out in tomorrow's mail. So the first box you will be getting from me is the Thanksgiving one. Since I also got your name in the bird/feathered friends swap this month, I wanted to make sure you knew the difference. I hope to have that box ready to go on Monday. I will let you know for sure, though.
    Mary Ellen

• galium
    16 years ago

I posted this message on your October thread before I realized that maybe no one would see it. So, I cut and pasted it over here

Hello everyone-
    I don't mean to but in over here but I was wondering if anyone has heard from earthlydelights (Maryanne). She is in our Queen Of The Month Swap and I haven't been able to contact her. This is so unlike her I'm beginning to worry.
    Thanks
    Mariann

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Galium/Mariann I haven't seen Earthly around gw at all for some time now.She might just be really busy with life and needed a break from swapping for awhile.That happens with us all from time to time.I do hope she knows we all are missing her and hoping she is back with us soon.

Remy,It made my day to hear you liked your box.Remember where you plant the ones I think are argus pheasant(drives me nuts I don't know for certain) and if they end up being something else I will dig some fresh pheasant and fly them off to you in the spring.(re reading that sounds gross..lol)

Mary Ellen..I will be on the lookout..I would have understood if you would have just sent one box to combine the 2 swaps tho.That would have been fine with me : )

Well ladies I hope you all have a Great Weekend : )
    Nancy

• sandlapper_rose
    16 years ago

Ladies, I think I am going to post the December Swap next weekend. I know that is a little early, but I know how the weeks fly by between Thanksgiving and Christmas. This will give people a chance to see it and respond before they travel for Thanksgiving or get busy with company for the long Thanksgiving weekend. I'll take sign ups from then until December 1 and then I want to match partners so everyone can mail ahead of the holiday rush.
    Hope that is okay.

Jeanne

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Sounds like a great idea to me Sand, go for it. I have been in contact with maryanne and will let her know about the other swap. she still loves us and is a part of our group. just taking a rest. dh is almost done with group pic so if you have not sent me your pic please do so. hugs carol

• earthlydelights
    16 years ago

hey everyone long time no type!!!!
    how is everyone?

i've been mia for a bit, so much going on here - more than i can say at this time, but i hope to share the news in about a month or so - very exciting news too but i don't want to jinx myself.

i hope everyone is well - i can't believe the year is almost over. winter is on it's way, we had a little frost this morning and i'm so glad i picked the rest of the peppers late yesterday after work. i wound up just ripping out all the tomatoes - so many green ones left, but no time to breath to do anything. besides i'm not a fan of them going from hot to cold and hot and cold - makes the tomato nasty tasting - so i just tossed them. i'm back to work after being out for 2 years - so i'm also getting used to that schedule which is a strange feeling.

sue g, i participate in a large food drive, so in your honor, i'll make sure i donate even more this year! what a wonderful idea.

laura sends her love, she will be back soon, i hope. please keep her in your hearts and prayers.

i probably won't participate in december, but i am not quite sure yet so if you don't hear from me, i'll be thinking of you all in spirit! if not, i'll be sure to be back after the beginning of the year.

the baby is just growing and growing and growing into the most gorgeous love bug in the whole wide world!

be well everyone and if i don't get back to this site, i wish you all a blessed, safe and wonderful thanksgiving!

remy, you watching survivor this year?

maryanne

• sguanzon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi gang!

I've been out of town on business for a couple days, tried to post from the hotel but didn't work somehow......

Anyway.... nice to hear from you Maryanne, you've got us all in suspense now -!

I'll be getting your box together soon, Carol!

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Maryanne, great to see you are still with us, can't wait to hear your good news. I can guess what it might be but won't just to make sure it isn't jinxed. prayers are with you tho. big hugs carol

• mellen
    16 years ago

Dearest Maryanne, hearing from you was enough to bring me out of the woods as our Veeja says. Prayers that your big news turns out well for you as I can guess, too. I/we really do miss you!!! Would love it if you would come back. Love 'ya, Mary Ellen

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi All,
    It has been quite hectic here at work. Yesterday was the big holiday visit from Danny Wegman so we have been gearing up for that. Plus the store has just been plain busier because Canadian money is at par. Well, I got to talk to Danny, more than the regular hello. I told him about how into heirloom tomatoes I am, etc. He invited me to visit the farm next year. I'm not exactly sure what or how big the farm is, lol, but it is a pretty big thing that he invited me!

Hi Maryanne! about time you stopped by : )
    I've got my fingers crossed for you. I haven't been watching Survivor. With my new work schedule it isn't as conducive to watch tv at 8. It seems to be my prime computer time.
    I've got peppers in a good size pot that I actually brought in the house. Well see if I can keep them alive until spring. Lol, I'm so bad at overwintering, but I keep on trying.
    I sure hope your new job is going well!

Nancy,
    Lol, digging fresh pheasant does sound odd.

Anita,
    I plan on mailing tomorrow or Tuesday. Wait tomorrow is Veteran's Day isn't it? Is the post office or banks open tomorrow? Probably not, lol. Ok Tuesday then. : )

Have a good night everyone,
    Remy

• beth_b_kodiak
    16 years ago

WOW! Hi everybody. These last few posts look like a reunion of the, "Oldies But Goodies" Club.
    Good to see everyone alive and kicking.
    Grandson and I managed to get the Motor Home back to MD safely. It really was a fun trip. Now I can finish sorting and packing without moving all the travel stuff twice. Soon I will be singing, "I'm Off the See the Wizard".
    Jeanne, I'm hopeing to be in the Christmas Swap. I'll be watching.
    Carol, I have goodies for you too????? Hahaha (No attends, sorry)
    BB

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Mary Ellen..Your box arrived and needless to say..I Love It!!!....The Turkey Shelf Sitter is so adorable...lol..It is too danged cute.. and I love the Wonderful Fall Wallhanging.It looks really nice hanging in my entryway.The Towels will be perfect for Thanksgiving.I adore Amaryllis....The picture of the bloom of Vera looks so neat.Going to got pot it up now : ) Also many thanks for the Aveeno Body Wash.Looking forward to trying it tonight : ) Thanks Again Mary Ellen ; )

If I don't happen to get on here again before...*Happy Thanksgiving* To all my Blooming Friends..Hope you all have a Safe Travels and a Wonderful Holiday : ))

Nancy

• mellen
    16 years ago

Nancy, I enjoyed putting the box together for you. The bittersweet in the wall hanging was from our Iowa ditches. When I go to shows and see the ridiculous prices that people charge for a few sprigs, I just smile to myself 'cuz I know where the bittersweet patches are around my place. I'm trying to grow my own, too. You have a Happy Thanksgiving, too. The same to everyone else here also.
    Mary Ellen

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Anita,
    I got your box on its way DC# 0306 3030 0001 8933 4951
    The weather is beautiful right now. I sure hope it holds out for a few days, because I sent you somethings to plant!

Beth,
    Glad to hear everything is going well with the motor home and packing. I'm sure you and your grandson had a great time.

Talk to you all later,
    Remy

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Hi Marianne & Beth!
    I've missed both of you! Glad to see things are going well, and nice to see you post.

My package went out today, USPS #0307 0020 0003 2229 5836.
    I'll try to catch up later with all the posts!

Deb

• veeja11
    16 years ago

I am estatic that the oldies but goodies are still here, it warms my heart. Beth are you doing your traveling in your motor home ? gas prices might hinder you a bit. can't wait to see ya. good luck maryanne, my prayers are always with you. Mellen your box is packed and going out tomorrow, I finally found the perfect item I've been searching for. big hugs carol

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Earthly and Beth,So good to see you gals posting : )

Mary Ellen..That is so neat you made that wallhanging! Looks like something I would buy at a craft show.That bittersweet is gorgeous..You are very crafty..unlike me : )

Nancy

• mellen
    16 years ago

Carol, You must have found the perfect leg shaver, huh?

Nancy, actually, I am terrible at crafts, but thanks. If my friends and family heard your comment they would laugh 'cuz normally I am so NOT crafty! LOL

Looks like the December thread is up and ready for sign-ups. Go on over and take a look. Jeanne's got a good thing going!

Good night,
    Mary Ellen

• sguanzon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Beth, I am sooooooooooo jealous. I want to take off in a motorhome too and see the sights!

Debby, thanks for the heads up - I'll be watching for the box.........

Carol,
    Still working on yours..........soon.............

Sue G.

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Miss Mellen your boxes are in the mail, if #2 gets there first it has no note and is from greg bea but says box #2 on it. confirmation numbers are 03071790000467132545 and 03071790000467132552. hope you like your gifts, you will know which one is the special one I found for you, should arrive friday or saturday, it was fun having you. hugs carol

• mellen
    16 years ago

Hey Carol, both boxes arrived today. Have not opened them yet as this is the first time in two days I have felt like anything. Have been sick. I will open them tomorrow and get back to you. WooHoo! Love 'ya. Mary Ellen

• sguanzon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I received the greatest box from Debbya!!!!

I got:

Kitchen Thanksgiving Towel
    Writing tablet and envelopes with sunflower them (so cheery!)
    A Gardening DVD
    Spice Mug Mat
    and a Baggie with a Ton of Seeds.

I also got a huge amount of bulbs, including:

Glads - mixed, white, pink dream
    Allium
    Iris, Purple/Rust, Assorted, and Assorted rust
    Dutch iris, professor blaauw, and symphony and bronze queen
    Daffodil Salome (one of my favorites!)
    Tulips, Princess Irene, Purple Flag, Don Quiottie, Pink Impression
    and Hyacinth, City of Haarlem

a Great surprise.

Thanks so much Debby and Happy Holidays to you!

Sue G.

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

Remy
    Thank you so much for the awesome box. Will post contents when I have more than 30sec's, Will also post Deb's D/C when hers goes out. :)Anita

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi all,
    The computer got messed up again! Gary had to reformat it all again. He clicked on something he shouldn't of. Anyway, I'm glad to be back online. Not that there was anything to tell you all,lol. Well, we did the first snow that stuck on the ground overnight. Winter is really coming. : (

Anita,
    I hope you got to get everything in the ground! If not, I'm sure there will be a few nice days left to get the bulbs in the ground.

Mellen,
    I hope you are felling better.
    Remy

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

I just wanted to post a special Thank you to ANNIE.

I lost a very dear, lifelong friend last week, and have been having a very difficult time with it. She was so close, we were very definitely sisters in every way.

This week, I had a very special surprise. I wish I could post a picture, but I don't have that ability from work.
    Annie sent me several Iris in our last swap, and one of them actually bloomed this week for me. Through all the frosts, and hard freezes we've had this week, I had 2 blooms from this Iris.
    The name of the Iris......HARVEST OF MEMORIES.

It is so unbeliveable....And Annie, you can not imagine how touched I am. I know you didn't plan it this way, and had no idea I would be going through something like this....but I definitely see God's hand in this.
    I can't thank you enough, and I wanted to let you know.

Melissa

• mellen
    16 years ago

Dear Bunny, I am terribly sorry for the loss of your close friend. I have a friend like that, too. We are also as close as sisters, and I cannot imagine what it would be like to lose her. When I read that the iris bloomed and what the name of it was, I just got goosebumps. God is with you--just keep holding onto His hand. Sending prayers and gentle hugs, Mary Ellen

• mellen
    16 years ago

Carol, Thank you for the AWESOME boxeS of gifts. Let me guess what the special gifts was. It was the tea, right??? LOL Well, this is what my dear friend sent:

-the way, most awesome angel-Carol I love her-thank you so much!!! I love the words on the pedestal.
    -an angel bell Christmas ornament-very dainty
    -beautiful apple print hot pads, oven mit, dish cloth, and lots of towels-goes perfectly in my kitchen!
    -tea-Bavarian wild berry and vanilla caramel truffle-yummy!
    -Swiss white chocolate coffee drink mix--I love this stuff!
    -a red bird candle-very pretty and unique
    -candy and more candy
    -manicure set perfect for my purse-I have needed one!
    -an electric massager-I've been using it all week-end as we have been cleaning the garage--a HUGE chore
    -and LOTS of bulbs---20 allium-ivory queen and purple sensation, 12 dwarf iris, 10 passionale tulips, and 32 assorted narcissus
    My wonderful friend, it was so overwhelming to receive so many thoughtful gifts from you. But that is just who you are. You have a big heart and are a true and always friend. Thank you so much. Many hugs, Mary Ellen

• sguanzon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carol,

I sent your box out on Saturday DC# 0307 1790 0003 9479 1808 - hope you enjoy.

Sue G.

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Mellen it is always a joy to send to you, silly the angel was supposed to be special not a tea light. Sue Thankyou for the wonderful box, you know me. sue sent me
    a wolf cookie jar that howls when you open it
    soy candle wax
    watering can
    thanksgiving suncatcher
    turkey decoration for table
    wild ginger bath set with bath puff
    3 succulents
    she knows I love wolves and make candles and am a turkey. thankyou a very thoughtful box I love it!!! thankyou and big hugs carol

• nyvoices99
    16 years ago

Good Morning Everyone.
    Remy sent me
    Ceramic Leaf Bowl
    Dill Pickles, They are yummy
    Not Pad
    Towel with grapes
    Acorus Sweet Flag
    Aruncos Dwarf Goats Beard
    Poet Daffodils
    Pink Charm Daffodils
    Olodam Daffodils
    Thank you so much Remy;)

Deb's D/C #0103 8555 7492 8944 9917
    Have a great day.:)Anita

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

I hope all my OBF had a wonderful, safe Happy Thanksgiving! I did, ate a little too much, but had such a memorable day!

Anita's box arrived today, Anita sent..

Package of Fall napkins
    Fragrant flowers seed mat
    2 small padded envelopes
    Friendship placque
    Garden gloves
    2 pack of soaps/decorative and festive!
    Country garden candle tin
    Backwoods soybean lotion bar
    Thermometer (flip flop shoe shape)
    2-Body spa package "Anti stress bath soak"
    "Be Happy" note cards
    Sparaxis bulbs/mixed
    Wilton cupcake cups (package) pumpkins!
    Butterfly that can hang/sit on anything!

Anita,
    Thanks so much for such a wonderful package!

Deb

• skohler
    16 years ago

Just wanted to pop in & let everyone know I have been watching all the great boxes that have arrived even though I did not play :)

Anita even if you don't get the Bulbs In the ground you can plant them in dirt & set them out in the snow banks :)) they will still bloom thats what I did last fall & my back deck was blooming with glads :)

well Happy Holidays to all .

susie

• sguanzon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow.......it looks like everyone has sent and received. That is great!

My computer at home is on the fritz so I ran in here to work so I could post...........

Hope everyone had an extremely good holiday. We're still working on the leftovers at my house..............

Sue G.