Margaret_2007

Debbya

ejmoore/Joan -

Pat_6 -

Vic_zn5 -

Comments (38)

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Hey Vicky! I just finished reading the other thread. I can't believe you guys got 22" of snow. Thank goodness it will be melting off. I hope it dries up enough for you to get things done.

Pat, are you ready for this? Hubby bought the replacement tire today! YIPPEE! He tells me that he will put it on the wheelbarrow tomorrow. Woo hoo! I will be able to get some of that compost maneuvering done after all. I will be happily planting irises and thornless blackberries in a few days.

I hadn't realized that you were so dry down there. We went through a long dry snap for August but we have had some serious rains on occasion. Our rain forecast is now pushed back too till Weds. night and Thurs. morning. Hopefully it will be a good one.

My youngest son came down with a tummy bug last night. I was doing laundry at 2am. Poor little guy handled it like a trooper and hasn't gotten sick again since. Whew! No fever or anything so it looks like he can go to school tomorrow.

I spent the day doing leaf cleanup. All the leaves suddenly started dropping at once. We went from a late summer to fall in one day. Funny how that can happen so quickly. The leaves are looking gorgeous across the street from our house. We are surrounded by pines but all the neighbors have beautiful maples, oaks, and such. Makes for a pretty picture out our front window.

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Vic, I'm so sorry you have to put up with all that snow, God bless you girl. I do hope your son has fun in it though, at least you'll get some good out of it.

Sorry, I don't have time to go back and read all posts, hope all of you are doing well.

Sassy

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just got this email today from the National Assoc. to Protect our Children....

Dear Vicky,
    The moment that we've all been waiting for has just arrived. The PROTECT our Children Act of 2008 is no longer a bill...it's the LAW!
    We just received word that President George W. Bush signed the bill into law late yesterday. This landmark legislation was a bipartisan effort, led in Congress by Senators Joe Biden (D-DE) and Orrin Hatch (R-UT) and Representatives Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-FL) and Joe Barton (R-TX). To read what this historic law does to interdict the hundreds of thousands of child predators in this country please click here.
    Tens of thousands of children will be rescued from the most heinous criminal acts of violence because of your dedication and tenacity. So take a moment to celebrate. But, remember, this fight isn't over. We need to get this law funded and we need every one of you on the front lines to help.
    If you aren't a member of PROTECT yet, please join. (And if you're already a member, don't forget to renew!) We need as many heroes as we can find in this fight to protect America's children.
    Thank you,

David Keith
    PROTECT National Campaign Chairman

*I like to think we all had a part in getting this passed!
    THANKS SASSY!!!

Tracy, I'll send your supplies right back to you!
    That tummy bug makes the laundry pile up even faster than a cold doesn't it!
    If it makes you feel any better, I had just done laundry and had thrown it all on the bed to fold and that's where Zack climbed up and got sick the first time! yuck!

I'm so jealous of you for getting a new tire!! That's why the lawn wasn't mowed sooner, the tire went flat on the riding mower and I didn't know it, jumped on and started mowing and realized that it was incredibly hard to stear! Driving on it just broke the seal on the rim so we have to take it in and have it resealed (at least that's what I was told!) And yes, in my case too, it will most likely be next spring! UHG

OH!! I almost forgot! There are TWO more boxes on the way!!! Make sure you girls keep (carefully) checking for a package!!
    And, I have a message for someone when they recieve their box, I think you will know who you are! MUH HA HA HA

Just remember, you never know who's doorstep the next box will be on................

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Vicky, that is awesome news! I was wondering what was going on with the bill and if it was going to get signed into law! What an accomplishment! I was afraid that it would get vetoed at the last minute. Thank goodness!

So far so good that no one else has come down with it. I feel worse for you with him getting sick on the clean laundry. I would have been sick at that! LOL! Poor Vic!

I have one more thing that I need to pick up for my box and think it will be going out early next week. I had planned on having it ready on Tuesday but Mr. Flu put a crimp in my plans! Argh!

Hi Sassy.

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I'm heading home in a few minutes, and I'm glad to be going. But I will only have till Friday night then gone again.

Vic, can't believe all the snow you got! Looks like your little guy was having fun, and sorry he was sick. I hope he is feeling better

Tracy, sorry to hear your family has the flu! I'm really thinking about getting a flu shot this year. I didn't last year, and yep I did get the bug.

Sassy, I'm so happy the bill was passed and now it is a law! With all the money cuts funding is going to be tough, but as far as I'm concerned they need to cut back on other things. I won't get into what I think they could cut back on; I would hate to get rocks thrown at me. LOL

I think my box is about ready to be mailed, and I hope my secret person likes what I've selected for her, and will be mailing it tomorrow or Friday.

I have to go pay house taxes, then I'm heading home.
    LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

And...... when I got here someone sent me 2 hosta, "Pearl Lake" and "Parky's Gold" from Pap's Pretty Posies in Hedgesville WV. I wish I knew who it is so I can send them a thank you! Anyway, If anyone knows who it is, please tell them thank-you for me! (I must say, I feel special!)

It is a chilly 53 degrees here with rain, and I have some rebloomers with buds on them. I hope they do it before we get a frost.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Vic thanks I also got your email and yes, I'd like to think we ALL helped. I'm very thankful for every person that stepped up.

Hi Tracy, I sure hope the sick get better soon for you and Vic.

Annie its so good to have you back for a bit. We all miss you when you're gone. LOL! Not to worry, no ones gonna throw rocks at you! I totally agree with what you're thinking I'm sure.

Later girls
    Sassy

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annie, I know how sent you that box! hehehe, but I can't tell you, what fun would that be!?!

Also, I have a message to convey to you:
    "Please ask Annie to report how the hostas arrived, what size they are and what type of condition they are in, please ask her to be honest, I've never ordered from this company before and had them shipped direct to her. Also, let her know that is only part one of her boxes!"

Wow! boxes are flying, I've just gotten couple more emails, wonder who will be next................

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Vic,
    The hosta were in very good shape, they are fair size one has leaves missing but looked good and healthy, like mine here they appear to be ready for a nice sleep.

I can take a picture of them, but guess what? I left the cord to the computer at the house where I'm staying when I'm on the road.(no worries, the cord is in a safe place and they know who that cord belongs to.) I can post the picture when I get back there, I'm very thrilled with them, and I do not have either one.

I hope the person that I'm sending to is as happy with the box I'm sending; I always worry.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

ITS BEEN A WHILE, LETS PLAY A GAME

When I was working on my private job, tell me what her stepdaughter, her stepdaughter's husband and her step granddaughter do for a living and I will send you these great Gel Night Time Heel Socks. A friend of mine introduced me to these and I just love them. I bought several of these, and use them during the winter months when the heels of my feet get really dry and cracked. Soon it will be time to get them out again.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

PODIATRIST'S SECRET GEL NIGHT TIME HEEL SOCKS

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Gel+Night+Time+Heel+Treatment+Sock/SBS-801110,default,pd.html

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Just wanted to post and let everyone know I'm in the chatroom. Annie and I thought we may have a chance to catch up. If you don't have the link, email me and I'll send it to you.

Hoping some of you show up:)

Sassy

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Guess I picked the wrong night:( I'll be in for awhile if anyone shows if not, later...........

Have a good night.
    Sassy

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Girls, I won't be in the chat tonight, too tired!

Annie, those socks look so cool!
    I'm going to say attorney
    BTW, it's so nice to have you back : )

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Vic, nope not attorneys,

HINT: Long time ago they used salt in the process.

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Hi girls. Sorry I missed visiting with you in the chat room. We watched the debate last night and then hit the sack after watching some tv. We were a little tired after mucking out the garage all day so were ready for a good nights sleep.

Annie, I will guess that they cure hams. Those hosta are beautiful. I picked up "Carnival" at an end of season sale for $7. It is gigantic. I love the markings on it. I also picked up heucheras "Ginger Ale" and "Obsidian" for only $3 and they are equally huge. Gotta love the clearance sales. :o)

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

I'm back from going to Menards,and no we did not buy anything except 2 halogen bulbs for the work light.

Tracy, no,they do not cure hams.

HINT #2. LONG, LONG TIME AGO THEY ALSO USED HERBS, PUT PARTS IN JARS, AND THE PROCESS COULD TAKE UP TO 70 DAYS TO COMPLETE.

Try again girls :O) :O)

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

HEHEHE, does this mean you are my secret partner since you said you ordered your plants. LOLOLOL.... on a serious note, yes, they are nice hosta, and I do love them.

TIME TO GET OUTSIDE, I've got boxes to finish packing!

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Ok, I can't stand it I have to say something...lol.

Guess: Mortician/Embalmers

Ok, there it is out of my system now.

Ya'll know I was lurking around didn't you? I wanted to join this swap so much, but I had already commited to a large bulb swap and it took my play money :(
    Ya'll have been having so much fun, sniff, sniff. Boohoooo.

Vic you are doing a super job!

:) Fran

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Fran, You are are right! I will mail it out when I mail out your candle for naming the cookbook. Good guess! I promise to get it out to you before the end of the month.

That is a job I just couldn't do.
    LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

My box is on it's way! DC# 0308 0070 0000 9010 1333. I did choose regular shipping vs. priority as there were no LIVE plants included.. AND priority was gonna cost me nearly $30!! They said it was cuz of the distance... I'm guessing gas is gonna start playing a big part in box shipping prices *sighhh

I've had the darnedest time getting into the RR threads the past few days. Anyone else?

Ok I have Iris questions for all you pros... 1st question: I got a couple Iris rhizomes(?) from Walmart but the leaves show NO green at all.. are they just dormant and still good or are they dead? lol Sad I don't know this isn't it? :P 2nd question: I have 3 Iris that didn't bloom at all this year, but did bloom the previous year. They greened up, had nice leaves.. but no flower. Now they are planted w/ some of the rhizome showing, but this year my English ivy pretty much covered the floor of this bed.. could that be why? Do they actually need sunlight to reach down to the ground or can they have shaded 'feet'? :D

Thanks!
    ~Wendy

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

We need Shirley to answer this question;I'm just grasping at straws here.

Wendy, I'm not an Iris Pro by no means but yes, keep the Ivy away from them. You also can plant the iris you got from Wal-mart, It never hurts to try. About those that bloomed last year but not this year. Are they getting enough sun? I'm not for certain why this happens, see what happens next year, and if they don't bloom try moving them to a place with more sun, or make sure they are not planted too deep.

On some of the iris that I traded/gave away this year. I have a few of them trying to rebloom! I hope they get it done before we get a frost.

I hope this helps,
    LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Hee Hee, maybe it is me... Or maybe NOT! LOL! You will have to wait and see! :o)

Congrats Fran! That would never have occured to me! I should have guessed it with the ghoulish theme of October though! LOL! Silly girl, you don't have to be swapping in order to play and visit. (wink!)

Wendy, I picked up an iris like that mail order. It came all shrivelled up and brown. It looked completely dead. I forgot to plant it last fall and found it in the spring. I thought I should just toss it but decided to plant it to see what would happen and it is nice and green now. I was pretty surprised. As for the non-bloomers, are there a lot of fans on it? Sometimes mine stop blooming if there are too many fans/rhizomes all mashed together. That is why I divided all of my old ones this fall and will be replanting them. Seems they like a little room. I don't know a thing about them being planted with ivy though. It may be a factor but I don't have any that are in with ground cover.

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Tracy, you are a tease.........LOL I won't say that too loud!

Just letting you know I got my babies planted that you sent. Between you and Anita I'm busy, busy,busy. I'm glad! Pretty soon like Vic we'll be seeing white stuff. Anyway, I want to let you know the roots on the plants were very thick and around 6 inches long. Also, there are 3 eyes on the Pearl Lake, and 2 eyes on the Parky's Gold. I wouldn't hesitate to order from this person next year; he sent me a business card along with my plants. Again thank you.:O) :O)

I'm worried, I hope my partner will like the box I sent. I didn't have time to dig any plants.

Fran, yes, just because you can't swap for the month you can still come and play with us.

Will someone send me the logo, because I'm hosting the November Swap.

Time to go back outside, plants are yelling to get in the ground.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Thanks for the advice ladies! I always feel comforted knowing someone around here will have good advice! lol

Some of my plants are just starting to bloom here which is crazy this late in the game.. My cosmos just finally bloomed last week, I have Rhododendron buds that are just sitting.. waiting.. on something! lol I have a snail vine that has just put out 3 blooms, lots more buds but I'm not sure they'll make it before the weather cools, my roses are going strong as well as my lantana and plumbago. Also just had my one and only dahlia bloom out this week too! I can't believe how long it's taken for some plants to bloom this year.

What is everyone's favorite flower or flowers from your garden this year? Is it an old favorite or something new you tried? :)

Hugs,
    Wendy

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

I know ya'll say even if we are not swapping this month you can still play in the games but I feel bad about that. I feel like I am inturding...I just couldn't take it on the answer for that one though...lol.
    Annie, you don't owe me anything. You can pass the goodies on to someone else. I just like to answer...lol.

WHOEVER it was that sent those hostas to Annie when the jig is up will yah PLEASE send me the ordering info too? I have been hunting a good reliable place to order hostas from and haven't had to courage to order just on a whim from anywhere. I want to order from a trusted or a least a tried place.

Same with daylilies, haven't found a place yet that I wanted to order from because I haven't heard anyone else order from anyone yet.

So please don't forget me and pass along the hosta info. :).

Well, off to check on supper. I am hungry. Hope it gets done soon!!! Oh shoot I forgot I put tea on too, OOPPPPSSS!!! Gotta go make it before it boils away lol.

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Fran, don't be silly, of course I'm sending your goodies to you. It is fine that you come out and play. May I ask, did you know what it was on the first clue? I think I need to make my games harder?

I did get quite a few plants in the ground today. I will e-mail you the name and number of the place that the hosta came from. I don't know if I would get into trouble if I said it here.

I love brewed tea. I know they have a cold brew, but I don't like it as well. Maybe it is all in my mind. LOL.

I have to think of a few more games. I have a couple of candle shades I can give away.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

We had to pay 2nd half of house taxes, so I won't be sending anything till around the end of the month, but I'm glad I could pay them.

I was just thinking how many plants I could have bought! LOL
    LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• pat_6
    15 years ago

Tracy - You are SO lucky! My wheelbarrow is still sadly inoperable. Were you able to put yours to good use before the rains came? (BTW, we got a very light sprinkle off and on for about 1 1/2 hours this morning.)

Annie - If no one has sent you the PP Logo yet, I'm pretty sure you can just right click on it at the top of the page and then save it to your computer.

Great news about your newly-acquired hostas "Pearl Lake" and "Parky's Gold". They're very pretty! (I looked them up) You are a lucky girl!

Wendy - My favorite garden blooms this year came on daylilies "Frances Joiner" and "Longfield's Twins" and, as always, on russian sage.

Fran - Congratulations on winning the game. Like Tracy, I wouldn't have thought of it but once you guessed, it does seem season-appropriate!

I can't recommend a place to buy hosta but I have ordered daylilies from Blueridge Daylilies with great success, on a few occasions. The plants they sent were huge, much heartier looking than any daylilies I grow! Many of them bloomed the same season I purchased them.

Well, I just wanted to chime in. I read the thread every day or so but seldom make time to post.

Pat

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

No Annie, I didn't get it on the first one. HOWEVER, when you said a LONG LONG Time ago they used herbs, put in jars and the process could take as long as 70 days all I could think of was persevering. I instantly thought of pickling and something clicked and I went to look up Morticians because I just had a hunch it had something to do with perservering bodies....LOL.

Yes, my brain works in a very weird way. I can think of something that links something else and totally end up with something completely NOT related to the original thought other than it related to something, something, something oh THIS...hehe
    I have insomnia because I have trouble turing off my brain. You would think I would either:
    A. be brilliant
    B: have invented something by now to make me rich!
    Neither of which is true!

Yes, so brilliant I remembered to turn on my TEA, but FORGOT to turn on the oven so supper was no where near finished eariler when I said I had to go check on it. So, I TURNED ON the oven, made the tea, and went outside to plant a few things while it was actually cooking that time so I wouldn't think about how hungry I was (TRACY STOP LAUGHING NOW!)

Oh well, I try hehe.

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Fran-I guess I will have to make the games harder just for you. LOL

I've been out planting bulbs,and it is 50 degrees; my fingers are cold.

I was to leave around 2p.m today for work, but I think I will wait till around 4pm. It will still give me plenty of time to get there to do the things I have to get done for work today. I was lazy and didn't do all my paperwork like I should of. Talk about procrastinating!

Time is slipping away, bulbs need to be planted!

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tags. This is the first time I used it,about time. SHAME ON ME!

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

And thank you on your tag too. Oh lord, I hate when I leave someone out!

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, you girls have been busy here! It's been crazy around here, I'm taking all these online courses for this potential job I'm checking into and it can be pretty hard at times with the little munchkin around : )

Annie, it's been so nice having you around for a few days, sorry you had such a short time off. It is in the mid 50's today and seems so warm out! But it is now all a muddy mess so I still can't get out and do anything in the yard.

Our neighbor plowed out our driveway after the snow and he scraped all the gravel up, now I've got 3 big piles of rock in different places in the yard and driveway : ( Not to mention that our driveway is clay and it's about 1/3 of a mile UP hill to get out, I almost couldn't get up it right after the snow melted.

Fran, of course you don't have to be swaping to play and chat!! But you DO need to pay closer attn. to your stove and tea pot! LOL

Pat, I'm sorry you are not getting the rain you need, I would have gladly sent you 12 or so inches of snow! The one good thing is that the ground got a good soaking, I've been told that out here the biggest cause of plant death is not winter cold, but from drought and to make sure things are soaked before the ground freezes. I never heard that before, but they said if plant roots freeze in the ground when the soil is dry it has a much greater chance of killing them.
    I'm going to book mark that DL place, I've been looking for a good online source too. I've ordered from Parks and Brecks before, several things I ordered from parks died, most of it looked like rooted twigs : (

Tracyvine - rec'd
    Sassybutterfly/Wendy
    Dieg01991/Amy -
    Raggedyann/Annie
    Margaret_2007
    Debbya
    ejmoore/Joan -
    Pat_6 -
    Vic_zn5 -

I think just about everyone has sent their boxes out, so we should be seeing some exciting (or spooky) things arriving soon!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Well! Someone at SOME Store I went to yesterday backed into my van and put a HUGE dent in the passenger corner of the bumper. I didn't even notice it til today either is what really stinks! The nerve of some people!! I could never smack up someone's car like that and just.. leave! grrrrrrrrrrr

Then.. today was the day we'd decided to move stuff out from my storage unit to take over to my mom's shed. Took the 2 back seats out last night so we'd be ready first thing this morning, checked the weather.. NO rain.. key phrase here... woke up to find it had rained what seems like most of the night and the seats which were on my driveway were SOAKED... it finally stops and we decide to head over to the unit. Get 1/2 way thru pulling the larger items which were of course in front of all the boxes.. and it starts to rain again. We just worked as fast as we could, got my van loaded up, furniture moved back into the unit and I went to close the back door of the van which was keeping us dry and yes.. lo and behold the door is filled w/ water which cascades over my head and all the way down into my shoes like a lovely god-given waterfall.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Needless to say it rained off and on all day and we finally got everything moved. So that's a nice big scratch off the to-do list!

ALSO, I got a box today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Pat !! :D
    I love the goodies Pat, I only had a few ceramic pumpkins for decor and these items are just perfect for Halloween!

She sent me an adorable black cat riding on a wagon.. so cute!

A bag of bulbs of Daffodils 'White Cheerfulness' .. worked on me this eve and cheered me right up! hehe

A bag of Allium Purple Sensation.. YAY!!

(2) lovely Bath & Body Works scented lotions - Peony and Cotton Blossom. I love these!!!!!!!!

A very nice book on garden design and a sweet note about designing a garden to make the space my own when we move to my mom's house.. :) ty

The item I loved best tho was the Spell book .. omg it is so adorable!! It looks just like an ancient book of spells, it reads "Spells, Potions and Creepy Concoctions" on the front. You open the 'book' and it's actually a hollowed out book that you put candy in for Halloween! It was filled w/ goodies and each time you open it, it cackles and says in a witch's voice Yummy! or Trick or Treat with a longggggggg cackle, or Ohhh you look so scaryyyyyyyyyyyyy cackle cackle cackle.. it is just so darn cute and it cracked me up! The inside of the lid says
    "Away with bean and broccoli spear!
    Banish carrot sticks from here!
    Shun the dull and humdrum treats.
    Keep this vessel filled with SWEETS!"

Thankyou so much Pat! I love it all! :):):) You definitely turned my not so lovely day into a wonderul one!

Hugs everyone!
    ~Wendy

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Heh heh heh, sorry Fran, I tried not to laugh but I couldn't stop myself! LOL! What is that old saying again? A watched pot never boils... and now we can add an unlit stove never cooks! Hee hee!

Pat, sad to say the yard is too wet for me to be wheeling so far. No progress in the yard but my house is getting cleaner and the laundry pile isn't as big! :o)

Annie, are you SURE it's me? Hmmmm? Are you? You will find out soon enough! Ha ha! I love the new tag! It is spooktacular!

Vic, I don't know how parents work from home. I know many of them do it and do it well but my kids are on my heels if I come in here for even a few minutes at the computer. It makes it really hard to get a clear thought out of my head and onto the screen. That's why my posts are half baked half of the time! For instance, forgetting a major ingredient in a recipe on the odd occasion. DUH! I wish you oodles of luck with the training!

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Wendy sounds like an awesome box! Don't know what happened with the board, Vic when you have a chance could you start a new one. (Or am I the only one this is happening to? Sorry if I am. I just hate it when I have to scroll side to side to read, lol. Is that part of getting old? lol

Sassy

• Vic Billings, MT
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmm, Sassy, I'm not sure what happened! It was fine a bit ago.
    I will start a new thread right now. It drives me crazy too.

Vic