Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerncharm1_gw

Discussion on Incredible Heirloom Swap Group

southerncharm1
15 years ago

Incredible Heirlooms is a sister group of Incredible Edibles, here we will plan out our calendar for 2009. Get your idea mojo flowin'! :) Everything that is swapped should be seeds for Heirloom Edibles. :)
2009 Incredible Heirloom Swap Calender

January (Totally Tomatoes)- Swap only Heirloom Tomatoes with our partners. 8-10 types of tomato seeds.

Comments (30)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

In February, it might be fun to have a swap that's all reds and pinks or has the word "Love" or "Heart" in the title it to honor Valentine's Day.

You knew it wouldn't be long for me to come up with an idea!

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

This sounds great! Will anyone be able to join in?

Joan

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

I am not all that creative but this is a discussion and I would like to put it out there. Tomatoes are my favorite. I have quite a collection but I also have a long list of ones I would like to try.

I am sure you guys can fine tune the thought. Instead of just one partner, how about we do a massive swap? We look at each others list and try to fulfill those and others will do the same. We send to 1 location and that person will re-distribute the tomato seeds. The plus side is that shipping tomato seeds will be inexpensive.

Nancy

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

I am definitly in on an all tomato swap! I have been waiting for one so long now! Let me know if you need any help! Christy

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

I would love to join a tomato swap too, especially if the seed count is relatively low. I only have a few seeds of some nice ones and seldom plant more than a couple of any one variety.
    Alana

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nancy, that sounds like a great idea! Does anyone object to January's swap being a Massive tomato seed swap?

Joan, yes anyone can join in at anytime. :)

Becky, let me know if you think of a Theme Title. I'm having writers block today! LOL

• booberry85
    15 years ago

February can be Cupid's Heirlooms!

Love the tomato swap for January. You may want to change the name of January's to Terrific? Tremendous? Tomatoes. There is a catalog called Totally Tomatoes (it's lots of fun to look thru by the way). I would hate for anyone to get confused or think they have to order seeds from them.

I know picky, picky.

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

I am glad that my idea is well liked. I was a bit apprehensive about changing things. I think it will be FUN, FUN, FUN. I have not hosted yet and would be more than happy to do this one.

Nancy

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How about Tasty Tomatoes? ROFL I didn't now there was a catalog with that name! How ironic. But now that you mentioned it, I have to check it out! :) Seriously, I wouldn't want to scare any one off before they give it a chance. :) Great name for the February swap too. :)

So far we have. January, Tasty Tomatoes ; February - Cupids Heirlooms. Great start!!! :)
    I'll get an official calendar up once we get it all sorted out. :) Come all YALL! Get those ideas together. :)

Fran where ya at hun? I be missin ya! lol

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

March Madness of some kind maybe? Like the basketball tournaments that are so popular?

Joan

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Well Kathy, you KNOW I am a lurking...hehe.
    I don't really have any tomatoes BUT I am looking for some...hint, hint...hehe. Maybe Jan should be Totally Tasty Tomatoes ROTFL, see u can have both in there...lol.

Humm, maybe March could be Spring Veggies. That is about the time to start them PLUS it is the start of spring too. Spring Sensations hehe. That is the time to be thinking about puttin' in some root crops for a lot of us too.

I need a reminder partner...I will be busy with my Birthday group next year. So if someone wants to adopt me and send me emails to remember to pop into both of these Incredible groups it would be muchly appreciated...esp. if I agree to join that month and partners are assigned. I am not saying I will forget BUT I do tend to get comfused easily...HAHAHA.

:) Fran

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

I have my thinking cap on today. How about Dual Purpose Vegetables?

Example: Beans- they can be eaten young and then they can be eaten as dry beans.

Peas- Same, Snap peas can be eaten whole or wait for the peas and even the shoots can be eaten.

Asparagus Beans- leaves and the long beans

Beets- can be eaten young in salads. Later the leaves can be blanched and eaten and the roots of course.

Pumpkins- Asians eat the shoots and flowers in soup, wait and the pumpkins and seeds can be eaten. Gez, triple purpose.

I think you guys get the idea.

Nancy

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Nancy, Double Delights, I love it. I like Tasty or Totally Tasty Tomatoes too.

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

Alright, got another. Splendid Salads

Everything that you would put in your salad.
    Beets
    Carrots
    Corn
    Garbanzo beans
    Cucumbers
    Peppers
    Garlic
    Lettuce of course
    Onions
    Radish
    tomatoes
    mache
    Sprouts

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

Becky, That's GREAT! I could only come up with the idea but not a snazzy name. I think both are perfect.

Nancy

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

I was thinking of an October swap(of course LOL) maybe an all Heirloom Squash/Pumpkin swap...

and one question...
    The mass swap would only be for the tomato one right?? Cuz I dont think it would work too well with Pumpkin/Squash seeds.

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Donna, only January's Tomato Swap. :) I also think Octobers theme is great! :)

Becky, I can't wait for my catalog to get here, thank you so much for that bit of info! I looked it up and found lots of others too and a neat website.

Alana, whatever you send in would probably be about the amount you will get back, there's no limit to the amount you send in though. One for one. :) Nice to meet you! :)

Joan, I love your idea, I did change it just a bit so it would be something along the lines of Christmas in June. :)Let me know what you think, keep those ideas coming! We love to hear them.

Fran, I'd be glad to help you out with those! :) lol

I'm taking notes as fast as I can read, and I don't want to have anyone upset with me about wanting to host January's swap. So if you are interested email me I will put your name in a hat and have one of my kids draw a name for hostess of that massive swap. I was also thinking that it would be best to start this one in maybe beginning to mid December so everyone has time to send in their seeds and get them back in a timely manner. :)

I also came up with a few ideas, yay or nay them. :)

June - Mystery Madness, send anything you think your partner would want. Don't forget to keep trade lists updated each month so your partner has some sort of idea what you like/want. Also, what's being sent for this swap can't be discussed with your partner. Kind of like Christmas in June! :)

August - Summer Spice, swap any kind of hot or sweet peppers, onions, herbs, edible flowers or anything that adds flavor or heat to your favorite dishes...

Everyone, don't forget to clean out your seed boxes for Becky's Side swap in January! :)

Whew! LOL This is what I have so far...
    January, Tasty Tomatoes
    February, Cupids Heirlooms - send red or pink
    March, Spring Sensation - anything for spring crops
    April, Splendid Salads - anything used for salads
    May, Double Delights - edibles that have more than one use.
    June, Mystery Madness - Surprise your partner.
    July,
    August, Summer Spice - heat, spice or flavor explosions.
    September,
    October, Pumpkin/Squash swap
    November
    December

WOW, I can't believe we've almost gotten the entire year covered in a DAY! ROFL That's great work everyone!

Kathy

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Why don't we "Celebrate the States" in July. Our heirlooms would need the name of a state incorporated into it. Examples: Minnesota Midget melons, New Yorker Tomatoes, Georgia Collards, Oklahoma zinnias, California Black eyed peas, Alaska Shasta daisies, all of the NuMex peppers, etc.

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Those are absolutely all GREAT ideas! I love it!

Joan

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

This sure is coming along fast, and with so many excellent and creative ideas!! I think the 'Celebrate the States ' idea is fabulous !! :)

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump...

• kilngod
    15 years ago

September could be 50-cent words in honor of the start of school. The longest names possible, either single words or multiples. Not sure if enough kinds of seeds would fit well, but it's an idea.

OR in the same spirit -- seeds that relate to school subjects -- foreign languages, numbers, historical things, famous people, art words, etc.

I think that last one is a better idea! Fantastic Scholastic, Sowing Scholarly Seeds, or something like that.

--Tina

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

There are hundreds of heirlooms with numbers, in all areas of types. Foreign types, eg: Italian, Hungarian, German, Polish and the list goes on. In my opinion, that sounds like a great one for a September / back to school swap.

And what about a red/white and blue swap for July? Heirlooms come in all colors regardless of variety. I can think of a few of each color, EVEN Tomatoes! Oh and purple is red and blue mixed ;)

Don't know about the rest of you, but in my opinion, Thanksgiving is terribly overlooked. It frustrates me to see Halloween worked directly into Christmas and leaving our special day to give thanks, behind. Maybe a trade with Thanksgiving in mind for November. Focusing on Autumn harvests. There are winter apples, sweet potatoes, potatoes, onions, brussels, cabbage, squash of all winter types, corn, beets and many many more that can be harvested in November...not to mention all the incredible dishes that are made on Thanksgiving. Cranberries, carrots, nuts, string beans, celery (for the stuffing) and the list goes on. Keep in mind that pumpkins and squash are not just halloween harvests...in fact, squash is a November havest. Maybe keep corn (halloween corn stalks) for October and of course pumpkins, maybe even gourds and strange veggies.

And for December, maybe keeping with gift giving, enabling any and all trades. A wish list so to speak, allowing any type of seed for the following growing season.

Just some suggestions.

Hope they help :)

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Oh I didn't read all of booberry's post...that's even better for July! I LIKE it! Sorry, just bumped down after the list was there for what was decided on other months :)

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's the rough draft for the Incredible Heirloom Calendar. Please let me know if this is good for everyone and I will post a new thread with all of the swap details listed. :)

January, Tasty Tomatoes
    February, Cupids Heirlooms - send red or pink
    March, Spring Sensation - anything for spring crops
    April, Splendid Salads - anything used for salads
    May, Double Delights - edibles that have more than one use.
    June, Mystery Madness - Surprise your partner.
    July, Celebrate the States- Swap seeds that a state in the name.
    August, Summer Spice - heat, spice or flavor explosions.
    September,School Spirit - Seeds named after Subjects.
    October, Pumpkin/Squash swap
    November, The Great Feast - stuff we eat on Thanksgiving.
    December, Tis the Season - Time to write your wish lists.

Also, if anyone would like to join the group before it takes off please email me so I can have your email address for our monthly newsletter of upcoming events. :)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Wow, that looks really good. NOW I need to figure out what to start ordering for each month ;)!

:) Fran

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Since I will be hosting the January Tomato Swap ( as asked by Kathy) I have been coming up for some ideas already. I was talking over with Kathy.
    I had the idea that I hope would give us all more variety and number of packets to receive back~
    Instead of swapping whole packets of tomato seeds, I can take each pack, and split the seeds up into groups of 12-15 seeds each. This way, instead of one person getting a bunch of only a few varieties, we can all get to try just the right amount of seed for a bunch of tomatoes! The usual person probably does not need to plant more that 12 seeds of one tomato, so I think this would really work out. Plus I am sure it will make it easier to split them up between everybody.
    I figured, you can send in your whole packs, no matter how many seeds, and I can divide them up myself, or you can divide the seeds in packets of 12-15 seeds and then send them to me that way.
    Let me know if you guys agree to this idea. Would you rather have a bunch of seeds of a few varieties, or do it this way, and have a bunch of variety with just the right number of seeds to deal with.
    Christy

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I like the idea of splitting the packs, Christy. I don't think I've ever planted more than 12 of any one variety.

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

I like the idea as well. Plus I already have my seeds split up into little packs ready and raring to go :-)!!

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A new Events Calendar is posted. If you would like to Volunteer to host a month please let me know on the New thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Incredible HEIRLOOMS 2009 Events

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource