Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

NEW: The Petal Pushers Seed Swap

sandlapper_rose
16 years ago

{{gwi:1303042}}

See the earlier posting about The Petal Pushers group. You will need to be a member by contacting Sassyd in order to participate in this swap, but this is a very friendly group with only a few rules.

I am posting this now so you can begin to gather some seeds! More details will be posted soon and you will get e-mail from me about the swap once you sign up. Once you receive that e-mail from me with instructions, mail your seeds beginning on Oct. 8 and be sure to mail them by Oct. 25. I will begin dividing them up on Nov. 1 and the same number of packets will be returned to you by mail. This will be handled as follows: Everyone will send their seed packets to me along with a list of the types of seeds you prefer to receive (vegetable, shade plants, annuals, etc.) and what you have sent. You can be specific about the variety of what you would like, but I can only resend what is received so please understand that you may not get exactly what you requested. I will do my best.

Label your seed packets well and include your GardenWeb name and the year harvested. Of course, we prefer seeds harvested this fall, but my personal experience has been that if seeds are stored well, they are usually still good the following year so you can include some from 2006 as well. I recommend you try to germinate one or two of the older seeds to make sure they are still viable before sending them. Anything older than 2006, do not count them in the packets that will be swapped but you can send some older ones as "freebies" to be passed along. Indicate which are freebies if you send some and if you sign up and want to receive some freebies, let me know that as well. Send all seeds in a padded (bubble) envelope with sufficient postage. After I glance through some other postings, I will address the number of seeds per packet. You can send fewer seeds per packet if yours are an unsual kind. No participant should send more than 35 packets of seeds (40 if you send some "freebies.") Otherwise, this will be a bit too much for me to deal with. No more than 6 packets can be the same. You can send as few as one packet. If members will post on this thread some of the seeds they plan to send and what they would like, it may help to direct the swap. (If I see that someone wants Marigold 'Jaguar' I would include that knowing that someone wants it and if you see that I have Vitex/Chaste Tree seeds, you might think to request them.) Also, in the note that you include in your mailing to me, make sure your name and address are on the list.

I hope all of this makes sense. For now, just think about what seeds you have or want to gather and I will be back with more details soon. Remember, sort through your seeds or begin gathering now and you will mail your seeds to me between Oct. 8 and Oct. 25 so I can begin to shuffle them and resend early in Nov. I promise to begin that process on Nov. 1, but give me a week to shuffle them and try to match the "want lists" before you begin to watch the mailbox closely.

I hope you will enjoy this swap. I checked with Sassy before posting this and got her approval. (Hope you are feeling better, Sassy!) Remember that this is a seed swap - this is not the time to enclose gifts, plants, or bulbs. No hostess gifts! You will need to send an envelope that can be used to return the seeds to you and postage. More about that when I send e-mail to you. Any questions, just ask.

You will get my name and address by e-mail and final details once you sign up so please be sure that I can reach you. I don't want my address listed on the board. Also, I will check with Sassy to make sure the participants have registered with her as members.

Can't wait to see all the wonderful seeds that this group will share!

Jeanne

Comments (78)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Okay, tomorrow is Thursday and I am starting to think that other than me no one in The Petal Pushers has seeds older than 2004. Either you are good at getting all of your old seeds planted or manage to swap them or give them away. I am such a packrat! Know there must be a use to seeds from the 1990's... LOL!
    Alana, I will let you know when your seeds arrive.
    I hope a few more Petal Pushers will join in. No deadline to sign up, just let me know in time so you can get my information and mail your seeds to me by Oct. 25.

Jeanne

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Hi Jeanne,

I would love to have seeds from the 1900's lol but alas, I packed everything when I moved to florida, I prolly have some packed but if so I am sure I would never find them lol. I do have seeds from 06 and 07 lol but besides the lovely loofah gourds that are growing away somewhere (prolly in some landfill) and some kind of squash (prolly in a landfill also). Im afraid I can just sit back and say omgoodness you have seeds from when??????? But its fun to watch and chime in some rah rah rah's!!!!

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello Ladies;
    I know I am not part of your group and I am not interested in a seed swap but your challenge of old seed packages piqued my interest. I went looking through my seeds and I have two packages from 2001 and two from 2002. They are all from GW members (not sure if any of them are still on GW). They are California Orange Poppies (spring 2001), Datura Night Blooming White (2001), Red Yarrow (2002) and Strawflower (2002). Any interest? I obviously am not going to be using them. diene

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Diene, thanks for stopping by.
    Beckilove, you won the contest! Send me your full name and mailing address and I will send a prize to you.
    We only have six participants in the seed swap. I hope a few more will join in.
    Still hot and dry here in SC, but it is starting to get cooler at night so at least late evenings and early mornings are starting to feel like fall.

Jeanne

• galium
    16 years ago

Jeanne-I'll try and get my seeds out to you this week. I have daylily seeds and others. I'm looking for Heirloom tomato seeds.

It's starting to get cold here. I brought some of my plants in yesterday. It's about 40 degrees this morning.

Have a great weekend.
    Mariann

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

I will try to get my seeds in the mail to you this week also Jeanne.

Its cooling off here also, still 80's during the day and low 60's at night for the most part but less humidity so it feels cooler. OUCH on the 40's. I wish for seasons but I don't know if I want the cold cold that goes with the seasons, can I have just the seasons??? lol

Several of my flowers and plants are seeding now and I have babies coming up from some things I just recently planted.

Hope ya'll have a great Sunday!

Smiles,
    Pixie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Poisondartfrog -

Just wanted to let you know that your seeds arrived today. Looks like a great selection! I will be waiting until the end of the month to shuffle the packets to those in the swap so don't think that I forgot you. I think this will be lots of fun.

Jeanne

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Jeanne, I sent you an email, let me know if you didn't get it.

Sassy

• Melinda Hagen
    16 years ago

I suppose I will sign up! Have so many seeds and always wanting more! Will try and post some haves and wants later. Thanks, Melinda

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Melinda, it will be great to have you join us.
    Anyone who is still undecided, just give it some thought and we will be happy to add you to the list. When I participate in a seed swap I always get some seeds that I would never have thought to order and plant so it's a nice way to try some new things.

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I only listed a few "wants" before but looked through a seed catalog last evening (was such a busy day and I was so in need of relaxing for a few minutes...) so here are some other seeds I would love to get if anyone has extras: sunflowers with the slightly darker coloration (sort of a chocolate colored petal), begonias, lemongrass, feverfew, impatiens, celosia (red), green string beans or pole beans, gaura, geraniums/pelargonium, bunny tail grass, and as I mentioned earlier - balsam and petunia seeds as well as sweet bell peppers and heirloom tomatoes. Of course, I will be happy to try anything new and with the more ordinary seeds, what I have on hand may run out or get pretty old and need replacing so don't worry - whatever is sent will be appreciated by me or one of the swappers.

Jeanne

• moonphase
    16 years ago

Jeanne,
    I am going to have to drop out of this seed swap.My life is so hectic right now,there is no way to get seeds packed and out for this one.I hope you all get some great seeds.Maybe I can catch the next one.Thanks moonphase

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, moonphase, thanks for letting me know and I hope things calm down for you.

• galium
    16 years ago

Jeanne-My seeds went in the mail yesterday.
    Mariann

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Petal Pushers, I hope this is okay with all of you. There was a seed swap posted that fell through and it only involved about 5 people so I invited them to join in on this one since we did not have a large group either. If you are upset that I invited them, please e-mail me privately. I really think everyone here will just welcome a little extra variety of seeds being added to the swap.
    So, Fall Fling Seed Swappers, if you came over to join in on this swap - welcome! Other than those who already posted with the Fall Fling Swap and members (even new members) who join The Petal Pushers, I think I will limit participation to those people. I really don't want this to become too large or I will be delayed in mailing the seeds back to you ... and no, I do not want to get behind with that!
    Hope there are some winter sowers in the group. I did that for the first time last year and it was lots of fun. It's nice to have some sort of garden activity for January.

Jeanne

• ramazz
    16 years ago

Hi, I am not a member but I have traded before with some of the members of this group. I would like to join if it is not too late, and I can get my seeds in the mail on Monday (10/22). I was packing seeds for a swap that fell through, so I am sure I can come up with 35 fresh packs.

I can also send my information to sassyd if that is necessary to participate in the swap. I am not a member of any of the groups on this exchange yet.

Becky
    ramazz

• galium
    16 years ago

Jeanne-The more the merrier....I think that's super that you invited the 'Fall Fling' group to join us.
    Mariann

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

I think its wonderful that you invited the Fall Fling group to join also! I am like Galium.. The more the Merrier!

Welcome Becky!

well off to do some YUCKY grocery shopping at Wally World ( I hate that place, seems its always packed regardless of the time you go in there!)

Smiles everyone and Happy Friday
    Pixie

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Jeanne, great idea, glad you went with it!

Becky/ramazz sent you an email hope you got it, if not, let me know please.

Sassy

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Becky, so happy to have you join in on the swap. I just came in from gathering some seeds. Can you believe I am still picking tomatoes and peppers from my plants? Weird weather!
    Mariann, your seeds arrived today and thanks so much for joining in on this swap. I must say we have a great assortment of seeds that have arrived so far.
    Games: I said I would post some games while we were doing this swap and have only posted one so far. I have another one in mind so hopefully I can get it on here tomorrow.
    Enjoy the rest of the day!

Jeanne

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Deb I am happy you liked your box, I am no longer in this group because of my stupidity and the axis of evil. luckily I will see you in the other group. hugs carol

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, seed swappers, here is the second and final game. Take a guess at the seeds below and post here to the board whether the seeds come in a seedpod or not in a pod. I tried to find a useable definition of seedpod to give for this game, but there were all too technical or too basic. I will say that a seedhead is not considered the same as a seedpod for purposes of this game. Everyone in Petal Pushers, whether you are participating in the seed swap or not, is eligible to play. Also, if you are in the swap but not in Petal Pushers, that is fine, too. The winner will get a packet of seeds and a dozen decorated seed packets for you to write on and use in future swaps. Post here until Oct. 25 (when the seeds for this swap are due to be mailed out.) I will not tell who won until after then. If multiple people get them all right, the winner will be the first one to post all correctly.
    Here are the seeds - remember - guess "pod" or "no pod."

Agastache
    Balloon Flower
    Canna
    Chinese Forget-Me-Not
    Columbine
    Daylily
    Foxglove
    Four o-Clock
    Hosta
    Monarda (Bee Balm)
    Morning Glory
    Sage
    Sunflower
    Sweet William
    Viola/Pansy

Hope you have fun with this.
    Jeanne

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

I'll take a quick guess! :O)

Agastache- no pod
    balloon flower - pod
    Canna- pod
    Chinese forget me not - no pod
    Columbine- pod
    Daylily - pod
    Four o clock - no pod
    Hosta- pod
    Foxglove- pod
    Monarda - no pod
    Morning glory - pod
    sage- no pod
    sunflower- no pod
    sweet william- no pod
    Viola- pod

• galium
    16 years ago

Here are my guesses.....I really shouldn't participate in this one.

Agastache-No pod
    Balloon Flower-Pod
    Canna-Pod
    Chinese Forget-Me-Not-(No Pod)
    Columbine-Pod
    Daylily-Pod
    Foxglove-Pod
    Four o-Clock-(No Pod)
    Hosta-Pod
    Monarda (Bee Balm)-No Pod
    Morning Glory-Pod
    Sage-No Pod
    Sunflower-No Pod
    Sweet William-Pod
    Viola/Pansy-Pod

Mariann

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for participating hazelnutbunny and galium. Not saying who is a winner at this point... hope we get a few more guesses by the end of the day on Thursday.
    Will be watching for more seeds to arrive in the mail.

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Becky (ramazz) - letting you know that your seeds arrived in today's mail. What a nice (and interesting) swap this will be!
    If no more guesses on the pods versus no pods for seed production, it will for sure be hazelnutbunny or galium as our winner. Hope one of more will want to take a guess. (Yes, I will post the answers tomorrow.)

We got some rain yesterday! I think eveyone in this area of the state must have been celebrating.

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Jeanne - I am just letting you know - I have my seeds all ready to go, and just realized that I am out of stamps. So, if all goes according to plan, they will go out in tomorrow's mail. If things happen not to though, they will definitely go out Saturday. I am so sorry they will be a little late!

Oh - here is what I am sending - several varieties of zinnias (Canary Bird Yellow, Scarlet Red, Candy Cane Mix, Bright Orange, Enchantress, Purple Prince, Purity), some marigolds (Mr. Majestic, Striped Marvel, Disco Yellow, Disco Flame), some sunflowers (Lemon Queen, Vanilla Ice, Moonwalker, Dwarf Incredible), Tom Thumb Impatiens, early crookneck squash and Crego mix asters. I have a huge wishlist and wouldn't even know where to start listing what I really want, so I will just be happy to get whatever gets sent! Thanks, Jeanne!

Becki

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here are the answers to the pod or no pod contest:

Agastache - No pod
    Balloon Flower - pod
    Canna - pod
    Chinese Forget-me-Not - no pod
    Columbine - pod
    Daylily - pod
    Foxglove - pod
    Four o-Clock - no pod
    Hosta - pod
    Monarda (Bee Balm) - no pod
    Morning Glory - pod
    Sage - no pod
    Sunflower - no pod
    Sweet William - pod
    Viola/Pansy - pod

Congratulations to galium on the seed contest - which grew in pods and which didn't - you got them all right. Very close, hazelnutbunny. I think you only missed one.
    Anyway, I found the information that I used at:
    http://theseedsite.co.uk/db2.html
    (I think I'm allowed to list that here.)
    I thought the site was a great find because it has many pictures of the seeds, seed pods, and seedlings and gives some information about germination.
    Thanks for playing, ladies, and I will mail a little prize to you galium.
    Becki, no problem at all about your seeds going out by Saturday. I think what you are sending will be great!

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

holmes_apprentice, your envelope with your seeds arrived today. I didn't want you to worry about whether they got here or not. Ladies, this is my first time organizing a seed swap and it must be beginner's luck - everyone seems to be sending something different so we will have a really nice mixture of things in the seed packets that come bask to us.

It rained here most of the day today. Sure aren't any complaints from me!!!

• galium
    16 years ago

Yeah I won.....I'll have to check out that web site.
    Thanks Jeanne that was fun. It was good to get those old wheels turning.
    Mariann

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Jeanne, the seeds I have been waiting on got here today, whoohooo. I have got the envelope ready to mail and it will go in tomorrow. I am sending some heirloom tomato's, hmmm sheesh don't remember what else but I know there are other things (ok so I just ate a tomato sanny and have ma mind on tomatos right now)

I am like Becki, I love everything and it seems like everyone sends soo many seeds that I have enough to keep and share also. I will be happy with anything.

Your doing a great job Jeanne.

Pixie

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Jeanne we got rain today too! Thanks goodness!

Glad this is going well, you girls enjoy your seeds!

Sassy

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Jeanne,
    My seeds went out today, and then at the same time, the postman dropped off the prize package from you! I love the combo of the gardening gloves and foxgloves!! Too cute! Thank you so much!! I hope all is going okay with you and your relatives! You are in my thoughts.
    Becki

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for letting me know, Becki. You are so welcome for your little surprise.
    I just wanted to let anyone in the swap know that my aunt (who is the relative who was so very, very sick) passed away this afternoon in New York. I will be flying up there very early Tuesday morning so you will likely not hear from me until the end of the week. My husband will be here to retrieve mail, so no problem with any of that. I will start sorting and packaging the seeds next weekend.

• galium
    16 years ago

Jeanne-I'm so sorry to hear that your Aunt passed away. My thoughts are with you.
    Mariann

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

Jeanne, I am very sorry to hear the sad news about your Aunt. Take care. Alana

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pixie and Becki, your seeds arrived while I was away. I think that is all that were still headed my way. Will try to check on that later today or tomorrow. I just got in at midnight last night, so still getting myself back together this morning.
    Pixie and Becki sent wonderful seeds and lots of variety - just like everyone else has - so I think everyone will be happy with what they get.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am checking with Melinda because no seeds have arrived from her. Other than that, I am ready to swap the seeds and mail them back out.
    They should go out very soon.

• galium
    16 years ago

Jeanne-Glad you are back safely.
    Mariann

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Jeanne, glad you're back safely also, hope you're doing ok.

Sassy

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am sorting the seed packets, ladies, and they will be in the mail to you tomorrow. There were not a lot of seeds that matched your wish lists, but if there were any, I sent them. However, you will definitely find lots of interesting seeds and no two alike (i.e. if there were two packets of marigold or zinnias, the varieties were labeled and you got more than one packet of marigolds and zinnias but they are of different varieties...)
    Anyway, I hope everyone is happy with their seeds. You are getting a few more packets than what you sent. First of all, I added some that I marked "free" that were older than 2006 - yes, I would have some of those... LOL... and I just added some newer ones, too, when I had lots of a certain kind. And secondly, some of the packets had lots of seeds in them and seemed so interesting that I wanted more than one person to get to try them, so I divided some up a bit more. Hope that was okay.
    Anyway, I had fun being hostess and happy fall and happy planting! Thanks for joining in on the first Petal Pushers swap that I have hosted.

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hope no one is too picky about which envelope comes back to them. A few I did not reuse because of size or a little damage on its way to me, then I started relabeling and may have labeled them differently. Anyway, all have bubble wrap in with them - from your envelope or added so they should travel just fine.
    Thanks again for participating and I hope you have great luck with your seeds. We have pretty fall weather today - it finally cooled off to feel like fall. Rain is still not cooperating, but maybe there will be some ahead.

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The seeds are in the mail. I put delivery confirmation on them so if there is any problem and you don't receive the envelope like you should, we will try to track them down.
    Happy planting!

• galium
    16 years ago

Jeanne-I'm looking forward to receiving the seeds. I'm sure we'll all be rewarded by your hard work.
    Mariann

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Jeanne, I received a wonderful assortment of seeds today in the mail!!! Thank you for a wonderful job hosting!!! Thank you all for the great seeds you mailed in also.

Thanks again,
    Pixie

• ramazz
    16 years ago

Jeanne:

Mine arrived today! Thanks for all your hard work and the great assortment of seeds!

Becky
    ramazz

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for letting me know that they arrived. For anyone still waiting, they should be there really soon. I had fun doing this and hope we all have lots of luck with our seeds.

Jeanne

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Mine came today!!!! Thank you everyone for the wonderful seeds!!!! And thank you Jeanne for hosting this swap!!! I know you had a lot more going on! What a nice selection of seeds!
    Becki

• galium
    16 years ago

Jeanne-The seeds arrived today. Thank you so much for hosting this swap. Love the envelopes.
    Poison-Thanks for the Hairy Ball seed. Every time I write that I feel like I'm being inappropriate.LOL

• poisondartfrog
    16 years ago

You are very welcome Mariann. I got mine today too. Nice assortment; thanks to everyone, especially Jeanne. Holmes, you have some interesting seeds!