Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaruzicka

new: new: seed-n-stitches swap: to hot to handle!!

lindaruzicka
12 years ago

Hi everyone! This month we're going to do something a little different. You know how you go to grab a potholder for something that's too hot to handle and you can never find one? This month we're going to make potholders! We're making one set to exchange with one partner. The theme is going to be whatever your favorite holiday or season is...BUT..you have to send a note along explaining why it's your favorite. If you have two favorite holidays or season's, feel free to send one potholder of each..as long as there are two potholders for your partner.

I'll post some sites for potholder patterns but you can choose whatever patten you like to make it. The rules are simple:

1. Must be a member in good standing

2. signup's are by Oct 31st.

3. Partners are assigned on Novembe 1st

4. Mail out date is by November 14th.

These are some potholder sites but feel free to do your own thing!

http://bomquilts.com/Free-Quilted-Kitchen-Patterns.php

http://tipnut.com/potholder-patterns/

http://www.lovetosew.com/quiltedpotholders.htm

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art4982.asp

http://sewing.about.com/od/freeprojects/ss/potholder.htm

Remember, have fun and enjoy yourself!

Comments (48)

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

I'm in, sign me up. :-) Will pick up some insulbrite from Hobby Lobby tomorrow for the batting for the pot-holders.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

I'm in! New potholders will be great for Thanksgiving!

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I'm going to sit this one out. My mother always buys me potholders for the holidays....I'm drowning in them! At last count, I had 9 santas, 3 turkeys, 4 reindeer, 1 christmas tree, 2 easter bunnies and about 20 various other ones. LoL!

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

also I wanted to mention to please use either insulbrite or cotton batting in the middle of your potholders (thanks Sandra!)

• bev2009
    12 years ago

This sounds like fun! And I definitely could use more potholders. Melissa, my mother-in-law always gave me tablecloths, which I loved! She has been gone for some time, but I still use the tablecloths and think of her.

I think the potholders are a great idea and will stitch up some extras to use as hostess gifts this Christmas!

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Went to Hobby Lobby today and bought some fabric and some Insul-Bright for the batting. Now to figure out what quilt pattern I want to use. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

I'm with you Bev. While I'm sewing I might as well make more to give away for Christmas.
    I looked up those patterns Linda, and found just the right one! Thanks for posting those!
    Dan

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I figured it might make it easier that way..and you can make your own choice too!

I'm happy to see everyone excited about this project. I'm planning n making some extra for Christmas gifts also.

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I had fun today picking out my patterns! I think I have fabric for the one, but will have to purchase some for the 2nd. However, if my back is good enough (strained the muscles) we are going to Springfield, IL on Thursday. So I believe I will have to visit some quilt shops in the area and purchase the fabric there. I am really enjoying hitting the quilt shops when I travel. I'm not much of a shopper, so don't really go in much for the gift type shops. We're doing the Lincoln thing while we're there.

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Bev have fun visiting the quilt shops on your trip.

Went to Hobby Lobby today and bought some cotton batting to use in my potholders per the instructions on the Insul-Bright package. Washed my fabrics this afternoon and hoping to find time tomorrow to pick out a quilt pattern to use.

Crocheted some miniature Christmas stocking ornaments and added beads to them earlier this week. Now am off to crochet some more bookmarks for my M-I-L. Just 8 weeks and 2 days til Christmas! Yeah! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

Hello
    I know I have not been in many of the S&S swaps but I love this one
    And would like to join.
    I crichet potholders but I will try quilting some for this swap.
    Thanks
    Michelle

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Michelle! Sure you can join us. There are a bunch of patterns to choose rom and if you have any questions, jus ask aways!

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

I'm in! It seems like a long time since I been on here.
    Mieyrey and Quiltingfox, glad to have you back in this trade.
    Bev you have a good trip.
    Hello to all and Good Day!
    gmom
    Sharon

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Glad to see you here Michelle. Thanks Sharon, glad to be back. Got my plastic quilt pattern templates cut out today. Hopefully later this weekend will start cutting out fabric. :-) I am feeling a little lazy so may go buy some binding instead of making it for the potholder edges. It is cold, wet, and rainy here today. Hmmm ... wonder if it is too early to pull out the Christmas cds. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

would you all believe I've been to joann's twice this week, and keep forgetting the batting for the potholders? what's up with that? lol, maybe tomorrow???

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

okay everyone, here's our lineup so far:

Linda
    Sandra
    Dan
    Bev
    Michelle
    Sharon

It's good to see you Sharon. It does seem like you've been gone forever!!

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

After 2 trips to Hobby Lobby and 1 trip to Wal-mart I think I now finally have everything to make the potholders ... Insul-Bright, Cotton Batting, Fabric, Binding and Thread. Thank you Michelle for mentioning binding to me (that was the trip to Wal-mart). Spending my afternoon tracing and cutting fabric for the potholders and listening to some Christmas music - Celtic Woman (which is driving my child and my hubby totally up the wall so I closed the door to my quilt room). Hope you all are having a great afternoon! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PARTNERS!!!!!!!

okay here's how it goes:

Linda sends to Sandra
    Sandra sends to Dan
    Dan sends to Bev
    Bev sends to Michelle
    Michelle sends to Sharon
    Sharon sends to Linda

sound good to everyone? Remember mailing dates are by the 14th and you have to put a note in saying why you chose the season or holiday for your poholders

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Yeah! Partners!! :-) Have all the pieces finally cut out for Dan's potholders. Will start sewing in a little bit. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

I finally got to joann's tonight on the way home from work, so now I can start on Bev's potholders. Yippeee!!!

While I was at joann's I checked out those accuquilt machines, the ones that cut the various shapes and reduces the amount of time we spend with our rotary cutters. The machine is $349.99, and the templates for cutting range from $25 to $95 dollars each. OUCH!!! Before you'd know it, you'd have anywhere from $500 to $1000 invested, and not have made one quilt! Well, the only fool my parents raised is living in Phoenix, so I do believe I'll be sticking to cutting out my own squares and triangles, and doing a bit of shopping on ebay when I want something special for my appliquing! I'd much rather let someone else pay those kind of prices, wouldn't you?

Okay, off to finish my computer stuff so I can get to my sewing. Have a good night everyone!

Dan

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Thanks for the partners Linda. What is your best holiday?

Dan, When I used to use the accucutting machine for the school I worked for, for paper. When it was time for me to use it, it was always dull. Not knowing how many used it before me? I have thought twice about buying it. But, then maybe you could make money on Ebay.

I also am going to sew tonight.

Everyone have a good evening.
    gmom

• bev2009
    12 years ago

I've got one done and working on the second. I changed the pattern a little and of course, cut the squares the wrong size then. Oh well, eventually I'll learn. I don't waste time beating myself up. LOL It's a rainy, cold day today, so a good day to sew!

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

I found my fabric, only to discover it hadn't been through the washer/dryer yet. Aaaaaargh! Lol, so, I threw it all in the washer, popped in a cd of theme songs from Saturday Morning cartoons, printed off some fabric pictures of Bump and Stella to be used in a future "unknown-at-this-time" project, and am about to go make some popcorn to enjoy while I read and wait for the fabric to get done. My sewing will be tomorrow night, I hope.

TTFN
    Dan

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    sharon I need your address, I have my pot holders done and can send them right away
    michelle

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Wow! Michelle is already done!! :-)

In between laundry, today is laundry day, have been listening to Jason Aldean full blast and working on Dan's potholders. Had to turn down my music when my hubby and son got home, which has slowed down my pace considerably. Am currently pinning all the layers together. Hoping to finish them this weekend or at least by the beginning of next week. Also this afternoon coordinated with Santa and got Santa letters all set to mail next week to the kiddos. Yeah!!! What a productive day!!!

Well Dan here is your hint ... the top of them have 21 pieces each. :-) Maybe will give you another hint soon. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sharon, I just love Thanksgiving! It's the last Holiday I can see my family till the mountains thaw out.

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

21 pieces??? It's a tent, right? Lol!

Last night I got my pieces cut after deciding that, since I'm already making two, I might as well make 10, right? Lol!

If all goes as planned tomorrow, I'll have Bev's finished and ready to be mailed. This was a cool idea Linda!

===================
    ===SPOILER ALERT===
    ===================
    for the month of december, we're going to have ourselves a "secret santa" swap. I'll be asking everyone to e-mail me with the names of their top three favorite christmas carols. we'll all be assigned one carol. on partner day, we'll all be dropping on a "first come, first served" basis and choosing a carol to "sing". once all the carols have been chosen, I'll reveal here online who chose who. the person you choose will be the person who you send to. then it'll be up to you to decide what to send to them, and when, as long as they get something by Christmas. since our name is seeds-n-stitches, I'll be asking that everyone sends something to do with gardening, and something to do with sewing. other than the sign-up-by and send-by dates, that'll pretty much be all the rules.
    so, be prepared.

Dan

• bev2009
    12 years ago

OK, ???? say what???? I understand sending something to do with gardening and sewing, but what's that about a carol. Am I going to call someone to sing to them???? I don't think you really want me to go there. My kids tell me to shut-up (in politer terms) evertime I start to sing.

Oh, wait a minute. I've read it for a third time. The carol we select will have been suggested by the person, whom you will identify for us, that we are to send to. Correct???? I haven't done many of these exchanges. Sorry for the DUH factor.

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Dan sent you an email. I have my box all ready for the December Swap. :-)

Now off to work on those potholders.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Bev, I'm going to go ahead and post the December swap, so go ahead and send me an e-mail with the titles of your 3 favorite Christmas carols.
    Not only does Sandra have her box ready, but she sent me an e-mail last night wanting to join! And then, this morning, Michelle did the very same thing! Sooo, since it's easier to shop for, or sort seeds for, someone when you know who it is you're doing it for, I'll post the swap in a few moments and we can all get ready. (insert chuckles) You're all just too much! I love it, and everyone of you all though! LOL!
    Dan

• bev2009
    12 years ago

My package is ready and stamped! Yeah, I'm early. It will go out tomorrow. Now I can start working on December's. Hmmmmmmmmmm

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

I have Dan's potholders finished and in a stamped envelope. My hubby will mail it for me tomorrow, Monday. :-)

JUST 7 WEEKS UNTIL CHRISTMAS!!! I am starting to get in crunch mode. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Yes, Sandra, 7 weeks until Christmas and I am still out gardening. YIKES! I'm moving 8 4x4 raised veggie beds, with the help of DH and DS. Of course, this meant moving all the perennials that were in the new location. I really wanted the beds ready for Spring. At least half of them will be, not sure whether we'll get them all done. However, I can't garden all day, so I'm busy making potholders for gifts when I need a rest.

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

so it seems as if everyone is giving potholders for Christmas gifts this year?..LOL!!

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

I got my package in the mail today, should be there soon.

my neighbor plowed the gardens today, sure helps to have them plowed then disked in the spring, tilling then is a breese.

michelle

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Bev I haven't been out to the garden in weeks with all the quilt and crochet projects I have going on as we draw near the holidays. I mulched it super heavy though last year so am thinking I should not have to do that this year, except the for the canna lilies, will cut down the stalks of leaves and lay them over the ground where the tubers are - thankfully I am in zone 8 and don't have to dig them up. I had some pink grasses in the garden this year and I need to go check to see if their seeds have dried and maybe collect some. Well I am off to crochet some bookmarks to be sent in family Christmas cards.

Best to you,
    Sandra

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Linda, so far potholders to ...

the little girl next door who delivers our paper and loves to cook with the book "The Girl of the Limberlost" from Jean Stratton Porter...

a white elephant gift with some fudge(?) for two small group parties...

4-5 to my sisters...

I'm making 10 so I'll have plenty to give as the need arises.

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Today I received two great potholders and a crocheted bookmark from Sandra! The bookmark was white with a green ribbon running down the middle of it, and the potholders were full of festive greens and reds! Too pretty to actually use though, lol! They're hanging from the handles of a couple of kitchen cupboards, and that's where they'll be for every Christmas season from now on. Thanks Sandra!!!

Tomorrow I have nothing planned but sewing, so my potholders will be done before the day is over. Joe, my roomie, dealt with all the leaves in the yard today while I was at work, and he's covering the kitchen duties tomorrow as well. Usually I get into the kitchen one day a week to be creative, and that was yesterday. We had ribs, pasta, and broccoli, and I wove a few marishino cherries and oranges into it all. It'll be good to play with fabric tomorrow and not have to worry about anything else... whew!

Chat with you all later!
    Dan

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Dan so glad you like the potholders I made for you. Here is a pic of one of the potholders I sent to Dan. :-)
    {{gwi:1303050}}

Just got back from RVing. The leaves changing colors this time of year was really beautiful by the lake. Spent most of my free time reading a book and crocheting some bookmarks. Now am busy getting all the laundry from the trip done. Hoping to find time to work on Christmas cards later this week. Hope everyone is having a great weekend! :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Linda, Your pachage went out on Thursday, So you should have it today or tomorrow.

Michelle has sent to me a beautiful set of potholders and some seeds. Thank you, Michelle!

Gmom

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Bev, your potholders went out with the mail today, so hopefully you'll have them by the end of the week.
    Dan

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Michelle,

Have you received my package yet? I sent it a week ago.

Dan, looking forward to them, thanks!

Bev

• dan_the_mailman
    12 years ago

Just a li'l note about the December swap...

Melissa wants to choose partners early (she's been listening to her cereal). I'd like to know how everyone feels about it, and will go with the majority. So, go to the December thread and speak up, willya?

Later!
    Dan

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    yes Bev I did, my post seems not to have posted, wierd.

any way I got 2 great valentine pot holders from bev, one is squaire one is heart shaped, both are great
    thank you
    michelle

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Michelle, glad you received them, but there should have been one valentine and one christmas.

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Dan, thanks for the great potholders. Apples and fall are my favorite time of year too! We're having homemade applesauce for dinner tonight. Yummy :)

• lindaruzicka
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's how the exchange is going

Linda sends to Sandra (mine will be going out tomorrow)
    Sandra sends to Dan: received
    Dan sends to Bev: received
    Bev sends to Michelle :received
    Michelle sends to Sharon :received
    Sharon sends to Linda; received

I received two lovely potholders from Sharon. One is for fall and one is for easter. I love them!! Thanks Sharon!

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Thank you Linda for the brightly colored pinwheel potholders, beautiful card and butterfly stickers - yeah!!! :-) I am feeling better, trying to take it easy and not over do it. My desk is buried underneath beads and embroidery floss as I am working on my Dec./Jan. lotto block. Hope you have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!! :-)

Best to you and hugs,
    Sandra