Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracyvine

'Petal Pushers Cooking Across America' Cookbook

tracyvine
15 years ago

Hello all you Petal Pushers and anyone of our GW members who would like to participate in helping to create our very first Petal Pushers Cooking Across America Cookbook.

Our group has decided to compile and print a cookbook of all our shared recipes for us to share. Sassy and I have been gathering all the recipes and are beginning to organize them by category. We would love it if everyone would keep sharing their recipes with us here on this thread. All are welcome and encouraged to contribute.

We have found a publishing site that allows us to do our own editing and will print the cookbook at a low cost to all who would like to have a copy. We are doing our absolute best to keep the costs at a minimum and will only be charging for the actual printing and mailing of the cookbook for all who order one. Feel free to ask any questions and we will do our best to answer.

Anyone who is interested in having a copy of the book please post a message here. Even those who already expressed an interest in having one. It will help immensely if we can consolidate orders onto this one particular thread and there will be less chance of us missing someone who wants a copy.

Please keep posting those recipes and we will keep adding them to our cookbook! You can order more than one copy if you would like to give them out as gifts to friends or relatives for the Holidays. We are hoping to have it completed in plenty of time for delivery before December.

Thanks so much for helping make this possible! We love all our GW friends and boy do we love your recipes!

Sassyd and Tracy

Comments (149)

• graanieb
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh, fantastic garlic mashed potatoes indeed, thanks Fran!
    Gives me idea to use roasted garlic, I make mashed potatoes with crushed garlic, black pepper and no pan dripping ( they're for pouring over all instead of gravy-opt), low sodium chicken broth -instead of or besides the milk...it needs very little salt aand butter.
    Having roasted chicken sandwich, wish you could have some.

Love combining ideas and like a sculptor- molding them into something new.

GB-Bea

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

The garlic masked potatoes sound really good!
    Tracy, I hope my great grandmother's recipe makes your little guy feel better. It's strange that I even remember her making that for me because I surr don't remember any other foods that we ate from way back then.

Before I forget, my other daughter wants a cookbook, too, so increase my order from 2 to 3.
    Thanks.

Jeanne

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jeanne, it is cooling in the fridge in ramekins as I type this. It is a very quick recipe! I had a little taste off the spoon and it is very good!

There is something about being taken care of when we were little and sick that sticks with us. I remember when I had the flu as a kid my Mom would start me off with crackers and gingerale. Then chicken broth as I started to get better. Finally I would graduate to homemade chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. She would always bring it to my room on a breakfast tray and I would eat in bed so I wouldn't get the rest of the family sick. It always felt like special treatment. Good memories.

Bea and Jeanne, you could use Yukon Gold potatoes in that recipe instead of baking potatoes to bring the starch down. There's no butter so it lowers the saturated fat. You can also use skim milk to bring the fat content down a bit lower as well. I normally use 2% in everything because the kids are so young still but will be lowering that down gradually as they get older.

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Wow, we have some fantastic cooks here.

To be honest, hubby does a lot of cooking here, and he is a darn good one at that. He also does laundry,very good at towels, bluejeans, sheets, pillowcases etc.(I don't let him do the dress clothes) (wink)

Anyway I've been busy copying and pasting to my thumb drive all the good recipes. I've tried to look back is there any soups? I would love a good broccoli and cheese soups, and other soups. I love soups.

Here is the way I make Potato Soup
    This would be for maybe 3-4 people

8 nice large russets cut and cubed
    1 large onion chopped
    butter/margarine to taste
    Milk _whole, 2%, skim (what-ever you desire)
    8 strips of bacon fried crisp(optional
    Baby swiss cheese (optional

Cut potatoes into cubes, (cover with just enough water to cover the potatoes), add chopped onion, stir to mix and boil till potatoes are tender. This should allow some of the water to boil down. (I like my potaotes a little undercooked, but cook to your own desire.)

Do not pour off water, add milk to fill over the potatoes and then some, let the soup come just to boil,add, butter fried crisp bacon if you so desire, then when serving top with baby swiss cheese. Of course I add salt substitute and pepper to taste. I know when cooking potatoes you do need some salt.

I don't have actual written recipe for this, I just always watched mom do it.

If you have a larger crowd, of course use more ingredients.

I hope this makes sense.
    LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

I love roasted Turkey! We usually have whole turkey at least twice a year, usually around the 4th and then at the holidays of course. Yum, nothing like nibbling on cold turkey.

I do buy fresh boneless turkey breast, slice it and then make turkey tenderloins out of it, in place of a butterflied pork chop.

I will have to try and explain how I make Bread Pudding if anyone is interested. My mother used to make a delicious vanilla sauce to go over it.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Annie that sounds delish! I love potato soup!

I always make a huge batch of veggie soup and freeze most of it. But I don't have a receipe, I just throw in what I have in the freezer. I usually put up lots of veggies and freeze them, but I try to make sure its what we'll use until the next season. Of course the kids are always coming and grabbing a pack. They always taste just as fresh as when put up.

All the receipes sound delish and Tracy I'll once again go about collecting the last thread for you. Did that Sat. after Kenzie left and was almost to the bottom of the thread at that time, when I had a power glitch and all gone! I was too po'd to continue at that time. lol

I've got to get my receipes in before the close. I've been slack and so sorry. I'll try to work on them tonight:)

Sassy

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

This may be the last that I add. I know the date to close this out is approaching. As you can see from all I posted, I have two bookcases full of cookbooks - hard to find all the favorites, but this one is definitely one of them. (I don't think I posted it before, if so, sorry for the duplicate.)
    Does anyone have a good recipe for rice pudding? I love that. The recipe I used to use was with Minute Rice but at some point they changed how Minute Rice cooks up and it doesn't taste right any more. I should learn how to make it with regular rice.
    I have one more recipe I would like to add - that is, if I find it. It is for a meal that you cook as a "bundle" - everything wrapped up together in aluminum foil. We used to make it on the campfire when I was a Girl Scout leader.

Here's the good one for today:

Banana-Berry Brownie Pizza

1 pkg. brownie mix (13x9" pan size)
    1/3 c. boiling water
    1/4 c. vegetable oil
    1 egg

Topping:
    1 pkg. (8oz.) cream cheese, softened
    1/4 c. sugar
    1 egg
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    2 c. sliced fresh strawberries
    1-2 medium firm bananas, sliced
    Melted chocolate or chocolate syrup to drizzle over pizza
    (The original recipe says to use 1 sq. - 1 oz.- semisweet chocolate, melted.)

In a bowl, combine brownie mix, water, oil, and egg until well blended. Spread in a greased and floured 12" pizza pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25 min.
    For topping: in a mixing bowl beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla until combined. Spread over brownie crust. Bake 15 min. longer or until topping is set. Cool on a wire rack.
    Just before serving, arrange strawberries and bananas over topping and drizzle with chocolate. Refrigerate leftovers.

Makes 10-12 servings.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Jeanne, cooking reg. rice is no problem if you do it this way.

Depending on the amount you want to cook you can use a small casserole dish or a medium size casserole dish.

Add the amount of rice you wish to cook. (However many cups you desire make sure the pan is no more than 1/2 full of rice, needs room to fill the rest of the way with water.)
    Add butter and salt if you choose to.
    Cover the rice with water, making sure it covers it completely and slightly below the casserole pan top. Cover the pan with aluminum foil.
    Carefully place the dish in the over cook approx. 40-45 minutes at 350. Check rice at the 30-35 minute time, if tender and water is cooked away you can remove and fluff with a fork. If it isn't tender leave it in for the remainer of the time.

Cooking time will cary with ovens, so check it for dones. If it isn't done in 40-45 minutes add a bit more water maybe 1/2 cup and let it cook an addition 10 minutes until it is tender.

This is the easiest way to cook rice. If you are cooking say a turkey or chicken or even a casserole you can cook the rice along with it. No need to turn the oven on for just one thing!

Try it, I cook it this way a lot if I am not using my rice cooker. (Which btw doesn't cook it prefect like they claim, mine sticks and burns on the bottom a little!)

:) Fran

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Cheesy Broccoli Bacon Soup 4-6 servings
    10 - 12 oz broccoli, thawed
    8 oz block of cream cheese (any brand)
    2 cans of chicken broth (low salt)
    3 cup heavy whipping cream
    2 cups Milk (whatever you use)
    8 slices cooked bacon, drained and crumbled
    1 Large onion, diced
    1/2 stick butter*
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    Pepper and dash salt,to taste (or add seasoning blend and NO salt)
    Bring cream cheese to room temperature (or put in the microwave covered for 20 sec.) Pour broth and cream cheese into slow cooker, heat until smooth, while this is bleding in a pot sauté onion in 2T. butter until almost transparent. Add broccoli, onion, and remaining butter to
    slow cooker. Pour in cream, milk, 2 cups of cheese, stir until blended. Cook on low until cheese completely melts, and everything is heated through. Very rich and hearty soup.
    Serve with crusty bread if desired.
    * Butter can be omitted, if on a diet.

Broccoli Cheese Soup Serves 2 -3*
    10-12 oz cooked broccoli,chopped fine/course to your liking
    4 cups heavy whipping cream
    1-2 cups grated cheddar cheese
    ½ stick butter*
    salt & pepper to taste (or omit salt and add Mrs. Dash or other season blend)
    Stovetop instructions:
    Cook broccoli using instructions on the package or steam a large head until slightly tender. Place cream in a saucepan and heat over medium heat until reduces by 1/4. Add in broccoli and heat for 2 minutes or until broccoli is heated through. Whisk in cheese, butter, salt and pepper.
    Heat through. Soups is very think, you can thin it out by adding 2 cups regular milk.
    Serve with crusty bread, or breadsticks.
    Microwave instructions:
    Place the cream into a large microwave safe bowl. Heat for 3 minutes. Stir, return to microwave, and heat for 2 more minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Heat this for another two to four minutes. The cream will thicken up and become bubbly. The soup will be extremely hot. This is a very thick creamy soup, but very hearty! Serve with crusty bread, or breadsticks.
    *Recipe can be doubled to serve more people.
    *Butter can be omitted, if on a diet.

French onion soup Serves 2-3
    2 onions very finely diced (sweet onions are best)
    2 T. olive oil
    6 cans beef broth (low salt preferred)
    2 t. black pepper
    Dash of garlic
    Sprinkle of Rosemary and Thyme (if desired)
    2 C. Provolone cheese, shredded (or other white cheese)
    Heat in large pot over med heat; add olive oil and sauté onions until soft, about 15 minutes. Add 1/2 can of beef broth and continue to cook until the onions have absorbed the broth. The onion should look transparent and browned. Stir in the remaining broth and all seasonings and let simmer for 25 minutes. Add soup to oven-proof soup crocks or bowls and sprinkle on shredded Provolone cheese. Place oven-proof soup crocks/bowls in the oven under the
    broiler and broil until cheese is completely melted but not browned, you want it gooey. Garlic bread can be placed
    in the bottom of the bowls before adding soup if you like it this way. You also dont have to add cheese if you dont like it, I make the soup without the added cheese or bread because I like plain French Onion Soup. Recipe can be doubled to serve more people. Chopped sweet or red onion can be used as a garnish if desired.
    Enjoy!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------

I like Broccoli and Cheese soups, French Onion and creamed soups, no one else does so I don't make it often just for myself, although all these can be reduced down a lot to make individual servings which I do for myself.

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Hi, all -
    Fran, thanks for the information about cooking rice. Actually I have a rice cooker and it does really well. It's just with the recipe I used to use, you cooked the Minute Rice in with the "pudding" ingredients and it all cooked at one time. I doubt that regular rice would be done in that short a period of time. I will have to hunt on the internet for a recipe. I suspect I will have to have precooked rice and then add it to the pudding at some point.
    I could not find the recipe for the "bundle" meal that we used to make with Girl Scouts. I think it was a large slice of precooked ham, some thinly sliced potatoes (regular or sweet potatoes), a pineapple ring, a sprinkle of brown sugar, and a small ear of fresh or frozen corn on the cob. We would wrap all of that in aluminum foil and cook it on the grill. Now, for more primitive camping, you can wait until all the flames on the fire are gone and cook it in the coals. I think we even did it a time or two in the oven. The girls sure liked it!
    Tracy and Diane, this cookbook must be a lot of work to prepare. (Maybe someone else is helping, too, and if so - sorry not to name you.) Anyway, a big thank you!
    Jeanne

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sassy, I feel so bad that the recipes disappeared on you! ACK! I bet you were a little po'd! Poor girlie! I'm so sorry honey!

Fran, those recipes look fabulous! I love broccoli cheese soup. I can' wait to try your recipes! When we go out to eat I nearly always get a cup of that when I see it on the specials boards. YUM!

Jeanne, I wanted to tell you that the kids all loved the Blanc Mange yesterday! They all wanted more after they finished. I should have made a double batch! LOL! I think I remember making that bundle meal when I was in girl scouts. We used metal coffee cans with holes punched in the top over hot coals as mini stoves to heat them up. I can't remember all the food we had packed in the bundles but it was a great trick.

When we have gone camping in the past I would slice up potatoes, onion, butter, salt and pepper and wrap them up tight in a big foil packet. Then I would leave it in the hot coals of the campfire overnight, just at the edge of the fire. Then we would have yummy homefries with scrambled eggs and bacon in the morning. It was so simple and delicious!

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Rice pudding is easy.

I don't use a recipe per say to make it I just throw the stuff in and taste it BEFORE I add the eggs to see if it taste right then bake it. But this is the basic recipe.

Fran's Old Fashion Rice Pudding
    2 cups Leftover or Fresh cooked rice
    1 t. vanilla
    1 egg
    3/4 cup sugar (1/2 c. if you don't like it sweet)
    2 cups Milk

In large mixing bowl mix rice, vanilla, and eggs together well by hand. Pour into med. size buttered (or spray)casserole dish. Add in milk.
    Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, or until slightly brown on top, and firm.
    *Can top with nutmeg before cooking if desired.
    **May add raisins and nuts if desired.
    *** Recipe can be doubled if needed, or have more leftover rice.
    Can also be cooked in a crock pot.

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Well, now here I am with one more. When I was looking for the Girl Scout recipe (which I didn't find) I found this recipe for Decadent Fudge Cake.
    My older daughter made and entered this in the State Fair one year and won a blue ribbon. I think she was only about 12-14 at the time - definitely no older than her younger teenage years. I have never made it, but it is quite impressive looking and the judges taste the cakes so it must taste good, too!

Decadent Fudge Cake

1 c. butter or margarine
    1 1/2 c. sugar
    4 eggs
    1 c. buttermilk
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
    2 (4 oz.) bars sweet baking chocolate, melted and cooled
    1 c. chocolate syrup
    2 tsp. vanilla extrat
    1 1/2 c. semisweet chocolate mini-morsels, divided
    4 oz. white chocolate, chopped
    2 T. plus 2 tsp. shortening, divided
    Chocolate and white leaves (place a light coating of white and brown chocolate on clean, nonpoisonouse leaves, harden and peel leaving impression of the leaf - in chocolate - to remain and then set around cake to decorate it.)

Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed with an electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
    Combine buttermilk and baking soda, stirring well. Add to creamed mixture alternately with flour, beginning and ending with flour. Add 2 bars melted chocolate, chocolate syrup, and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in 1 c. mini-morsels.
    Pour batter into a heavily greased and floured 10-inch Bundt cake pan. Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour and 20 min. or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Invert cake immediately onto a serving plate and let it cool completely.
    Combine 4 oz. white chocolate and 2 T. shortening in top of a double boiler; bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Drizzle mixture over cooled cake. Melt remaining 1/2 c. mini-morsels and 2 tsp. shortening in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool; drizzle over white chocolate.
    Garnish with chocolate and white chocolate leaves, if desired.

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Autumn Cheesecake

Crust
    1 cup graham cracker crumbs
    ½ cup finely chopped pecans
    3 tbsb. white sugar
    ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
    ¼ c. unsalted butter, melted

Filling
    2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese, softened.
    1/2 cup white sugar
    2 eggs
    1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Topping
    4 cups apples-peeled, cored and thinly sliced
    1/3 c. white sugar
    1/s tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/4 c. chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, stir together graham cracker crumbs,1/2c. finely chopped pecans, 3tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp, cinnamon and melted butter. Press into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes

In a large bowl, combine cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar. Mix at medium speed until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg. Blend in vanilla;pour filling into crust.

In a small bowl stir together 1/3 c. sugar and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Toss the cinnamon-sugar with apples to coat. Spoon Apple mixture over cream cheese layer and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of chopped pecans.

Bake in preheated oven for 60-70 minutes. With a knife, loosen cake from rim of pan, let cool then remove the rim of the springform pan. Chill cake before serving.

Bon Appetite
    Annie

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Warning this has liqueur in it

This is nice rich holiday desert, but the mint flavor adds a cool refreshing contrast to the creamy chocolate-studded filling.

2 cups of finely crushed chocolate wafers(about 38 cookies.
    1/2 cup of butter (must be butter, no substitutes)
    2 - 8 oz packages cream cheese, softened
    1 cup of sugar
    1/3 cup green creme de menthe liqueur
    3 eggs
    3 8-oz. cartons of sour cream
    1 cup 6oz. miniature semisweet chocolate pieces
    1 oz. semisweet chocolate
    1 teaspoon shortening

Combine crushed wafers and butter in medium bowl, toss gently. Press mixture on bottom and 2 inches up sides of 9 inch springform pan. Set aside.

For filling, beat cream cheese and sugar in large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer till combined. Beat in creme de menthe. Add eggs all at once, beating on low speed just till combined. Stir in sour cream till combined; stir in the 1 cup of miniature semisweet chocolate pieces.

Pour filling into a crust-lined pan. Set the pan on a shallow baking pan on the oven rack. Bake at 375 for 50-55 minutes or till the center appears nearly set when shaken

Remove springform pan from baking pan. Cool cheesecake in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. use a small metal spatula to loosen crust from sides of pan. Cool 1 hour, cover and chill at least 4 hours. Cheesecake may be made ahead and frozen, tightly wrapped, for up to one month.

For the topping melt the 1 oz. semisweet chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat. Drizzle chocolate ontop of chilled cheesecake then chill till set. slice, serve and enjoy!

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Fran those receipes look awesome! I can't wait to try them.

Heres a few from me. I figured I better go ahead and get them in, I think tommorrow is cut off day.

Hummingbird Cake

3 cups self-rising flour
    2 cups granulated sugar
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
    1 very ripe large bananas, mashed
    One 8-onze can crushed pineapple, with juice
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    4 large eggs, beaten

Icing
    One 1-pound box confectioners' sugar
    One 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temp.
    6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, softened
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 tablespoon milk, or more if needed
    1/2cup finely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325*
    Grease and flour three 8-inch round cake pans.
    In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, oil, pecans, bananas, pineapple, vanilla, cinnamon and eggs. Stir well with a spoon until the batter is smooth.

Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Bake for 16 to 28 minutes, until the tops spring back. Cool in the pans for about 10 minutes, then loosen from the pans and invert onto wire racks to cool completely.

To make the icing, mix the sugar, cream cheese, butter, vanilla and 1 tablespoon milk in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer until the icing is smooth. If needed, add more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time to achieve the proper spreading consistency. Ice between the cake layers, and on the sides and top of the cake. Sprinkle the top with pecans. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Sweet and Sour Pasta Salad

1 package (16 ounces)tricolor spiral pasta
    1 medium red onion, chopped
    1 medium tomato, chopped
    1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
    1 medium green pepper, chopped
    2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Dressing:
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1 tablespoon ground mustard
    1 teaspoon salt, optional
    1 teaspoon garlic powder

Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Place in a large serving bowl. Stir in the onion,, tomato, cucumber, green pepper and parsley; set aside.

In a small saucepan, combine the dressing ingredients. Cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Parmesan Chive Biscuits

3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup all-vegetable shortening
    3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 table spoon dried chives
    1 teaspoon garlic powder

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture iscrumbly. Stir in cheese, chives and garlic powder.

Spoon biscuit mix into a medium bowl. Add 1 cut milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Drop biscuits by heaping tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet spayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 400* for 12 to 14 minutes, or until lightly browned. Makes about 1 1/2 dozen biscuits.

Roasted Potato Salad

1/2 pound fresh green beans, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
    1 large whole garlic bulb
    2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
    2 medium sweet red peppers, cut into large chunks
    2 green onions, sliced
    1/4 cup chicken broth
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried
    1/2 teaspoon salt

In a large saucepan, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add bean; bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place beans in ice water; drain and pat dry.

Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off garlic bulb. Place cut side up in a greased 15-in x 10-in x 1 in baking pan. Add the potatoes, red peppers, onions and beans; drizzle with broth. Bake, uncovered, at 400* for 30 - 40 minutes or until garlic is softened.

Remove garlic; set aside. Bake vegetables 30 - 35 minutes longer or until tender. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic into a large bowl. Stir in the vineagar, oil, sugar, rosemary and salt. Add vegetables; toss to coat. Serve warm or cold.

Autumn Chowder

2 bacon strips, diced
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 medium red potato, diced
    1 small carrot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
    1/2 cup water
    3/4 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
    1 cup milk
    2/3 cup frozen corn
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    2 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons cold water
    3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

In a saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper towels and reserve. Drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender. Add the potato, carrot, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are almost tender.

Stir in the milk, corn and pepper. Cook 6 minutes longer. Combine the flour and cold water until smooth; gradually whisk into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the cheese until melted. Sprinkle with the bacon.
    2 servings.

Grilled Potato Skins

2 large baking potatoes
    2 tablespoons butter, melted
    2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
    3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
    2 green onions, chopped
    Sour Cream for dipping

Cut each potato lengthwise into four wedges. Cut away the white portion, leaving 1/4 in. on the potato skins. Place skins on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Combine the butter, rosemary, salt and pepper; brush over both sides of potato skins.

Grill the potatoes, skin side up, uncovered, over direct medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn the potatoes and position over indirect heat; grill 2 minutes longer. Top with the cheese. Cover and grill 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with the bacon and onions. Serve with sour cream.
    Yield: 8 appetizers

Hope theres some here you all like the looks of.
    Sassy

• raggedyann161420
    15 years ago

Thank you girls for working so hard on it, and thanks everyone for all the recipes.

• drgulley
    15 years ago

Sassy,

Those recipes look so good. I may have to try one or two of them this weekend. I always love trying something different. I get in the routine of making the same thing sometimes and I need to try something new. There are so many great looking recipes on here. I am like a kid in a candy store!

Dianne

• sassyd
    15 years ago

LOL! I think we all are Dianne! Welcome and please enjoy!
    We always love to extend our family:)) Welcome to Pedal Pushers!

Tracy, I'll get them copied, I better get some sleep, Kenzie is coming for trick or treat and then I have her for the whole weekend!!!! Yippppe!!!!!!!!!! Believe me, I begged and begged!

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Italian Chicken 2-4 servings

4 chicken breast (or more if needed)
    or
    16 -20 Chicken tenderloins
    1 -2 Bottles Italian Dressing or Homemade
    1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped or slices
    1 Yellow Bell Pepper, chopped or slices
    1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped or slices
    1 Large Onion (I like the sweet ones)chopped or slices

Marinate chicken in refrigerator 4-5 hours or overnight. Make sure chicken is completely covered with dressing. (I like to use zip type baggies and get out as much air as possible) In a separate container/bag place all the vegetables inside and pour on more of the Italian Dressing enough to completely cover the veggies. Let them marinate in the refrigerator 4-5 hours also.
    Once the chicken is ready remove it from the marinade (discard the marinade) and place in a frying pan on med to med-low heat, cook chicken through until almost done. Pour in more Italian dressing and finish cooking the chicken. When chicken is done, remove from the pan or remove from burner and cover pan with a lid. (I just remove the chicken and use the same pan).
    Place veggies along with dressing used to marinate them in the pan, cook until tender on medium heat. Add more dressing if it cooks away before the veggies are done.
    If you removed the chicken from the pan then plate up the veggies and place chicken back in the pan and heat, just heat through. Plate it along side of the veggie mix and enjoy.
    Serve with steamed broccoli, cauliflower, or cooked carrots. Can also be served with a medley of the above combo or served as is with just the chicken and peppers and onions.
    Note: This is one of my favorites. I usually do just serve it with the pepper and onions. If you don't like those then don't make them with it. The chicken is worth fixing with other vegetables, it is very good and tender cooked this way.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tracy if this is a repeat recipe I am sorry, but I don't think it is, the first one I remember posting was the BBQ so I don't think I did this one.

• graanieb
    15 years ago

Good idea on using Yukon Gold potatoes, at least sometimes, thanks Tracy.
    Sassy...Baked Potato Skins ...reminds me of Paul Rrudhomme's POTATO STUFFED CHILI --- caught last part of the show last sunday, so far search produced no exact recipe, will look some more or just make my own version, he must've created it recently, was glad seeing him prepare healthy recipes.
    Fran NC, got to have Broccoli soup soon, it's soup time.

Happy and Safe Halloween everyone, treat yourselves and kids with fruits or healthy snacks, at least more than with sugary treats.

GB-Bea
    Ought to give out seed pkts as treats, my daughter suggested, lol

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Ok, here are a few more favs, before it is too late to add any!

I made this many years ago and was great for big dinners and church things. (Easy to double).

FRESH SQUASH CASSEROLE

3 C. Zuchinni or yellow squash
    1/4 c. chopped onion
    4 T. butter
    2 eggs, beaten
    1/4 c. milk
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1 c. grated cheddar cheese
    1 c. crushed crackers
    Saute squash and onion in the butter until tender. Don't brown, just until tender. Add eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
    Spoon into baking dish and cover with cheese and crackers. Bake 350 degrees for 20 to 25 min.

SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE

5 sweet potatoes cooked and mashed
    1 egg
    1 can eagle brand condensed milk
    1 c. sugar
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg
    1 stick melted butter
    Mix all together and pour into baking dish. Bake 400 degrees for 20 min. Take out and cover with topping---
    TOPPING--
    1/2 c. crushed corn flakes
    1/2 c. chopped pecans
    1/2 stick melted butter
    1/2 c. brown sugar
    Mix well. Pour onto casserole and return to 400 degre oven for 10 more min.

GREEN TOMATO PIE

2 pie crusts
    4 c. sliced green tomatoes
    1 1/2 c. sugar
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. nutmeg
    1/4 tsp. salt
    5 Tbls. flour
    2 Tbls. lemon juice
    1/4 c. butter or margarine
    Steam tomato slices in 2 to 3 tablespoons of water for 3 to 5 min. Not mushy. Drain and set aside. Blend remainder of ingredients except lemon juice and butter. Layer the tomatoes, dry mix, then butter and lemon juice in one of the pie shells until filled. Place 2nd pie shell on top and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bake 375 degrees for one hr.
    Tastes like apple pie! (To me anyway! LOL!) Very good!

EASY ROLLS

2 Cups self rising flour
    4 Tablespoons mayonaise
    1 c. milk
    1 tsp. sugar
    Mix all ingredients. Spoon into greased muffin cus. Bake 16 to 18 min. in 425 degree oven.

CARROT BREAD

2 C. oil
    4 tsp. vanilla
    6 eggs, beaten
    1 c. coconut
    4 c. carrots, shredded
    4 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. salt
    4 tsp. soda
    3 c. sugar
    4 c. flour
    1 c. pecans
    1 c. raisins
    Mix oil, vanilla, eggs, coconut, and carrots. Add cinnamon, salt, and soda. Blend well. Add sugar and flour. Stir in raisins and nuts. Bake 350 degrees for 1 hr.

This was another one of my mother's favs she made for us!

Pretzel Salad
    1 1/2 sticks butter melted
    2 1/2 c. pretzels crushed
    1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
    1 c. water
    1 c. cool whip
    2 c. boiling water
    2 3 oz. boxes strawberry jello
    1 16 oz. bag frozen strawberries
    Mix melted butter and pretzels. Press into bottom of 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake 350 for 10 min. Let cool. Mix cream cheese, 1 c. water, and cool whip. Spread over pretzels after they are cooled. Boil 2 c. water and mix in jello until dissolved. Mix in frozen strawberries and then cool. Pour over top of cream cheese mix and refrigerate until firm.
    Love this!

• drgulley
    15 years ago

Wow, those Easy Rolls sure do sound easy. Are you sure that is the whole recipe? LOL.. I will have to try those.
    I would still love to find a good old fashioned cinnamon roll recipe. Anybody have one?

Dianne

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Ooooh Dianne, I started to post one, but figured these low cal girls might come get me! hehe I'm just kidding. I'll go find it and after that Tracy I'll start collecting all the receipes.

Sassy

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, ok, keep posting till November 3rd if that is ok with everyone here. I figure that will give everyone a chance to post those recipes that popped into our heads at the last minute.

Bea, I saw a whole episode on Oprah last year on how to cook with less carbs and the Yukon Golds were talked about a lot along with red skins. They work pretty well as long as there isn't too much fat added with mashing them, they get shiny really quick so have to watch the addition of milk and butter.

Dianne, I have a recipe for cinnamon rolls too. I like them but the dough is a little too stiff. I want to see Sassy's first. I bet it's better! You know how these Southern cooks are, they make everything better! :o)

Melinda, I loooooove Pretzel Salad! I haven't had that in ages! So Good! Your carrot bread sounds great! A lot like my carrot cake recipe. One of my favorite cakes.

• graanieb
    15 years ago

Green Tomato Pie!!! Goes into -to be tried- recipes, thank you Fran-B.
    Tracy, I'm sure Yukon Gold are great, we just got stuck on red skinned potatoes...like you said, it's what you add to them, like to pasta, that makes a difference.
    Sassy, go ahead and make it your way, I'm not going to get you, watch that sugar doesn't, smile.

Tracy, have to email you my Healthy Sweet Potato Pie, few others, I'll try transferring recipes from docs to here.

GB-Bea

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Southern Cornbread Dressing

1 pan of prepared cornbread (recipe below)
    3 c. chicken broth
    4 hard boiled eggs chopped or minced (optional)
    2 large eggs
    2 cup minced celery
    2 cup minced chicken
    1 large minced onion
    1 Tablespoon and 1 t. Rubbed sage
    1 t. Salt
    1/2 t. Pepper

Crumble cornbread in a large mixing bowl, add all other ingredents, mix well. Mixture should be moist looking but NOT runny. If it looks dry add more chicken broth until it is moist. Spray pan with non-stick spray and pour cornbread mixture into a 13 x 9 baking pan. Cook in pre-warmed oven 35-45 minutes until it is completely brown on top and tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut into individual 2 inch cubes.

Southern Cornbread

4 cups self rising cornmeal (I prefer yellow)
    1 cup mayonaisse (Dukes is best)
    or
    2 eggs
    2 cups milk (or 1 can)
    Non stick cooking spray or olive oil

Pre-heat oven at 450 degrees. Mix all ingredents together very well. Oil all sides of casserole pan (for this much you will need a 13 x 9 at least)or spray with cooking spray. Pour in cornbread mix and bake for 25-35 minutes. Should be uniformly brown on top.

Fran's Easy Giblet Gravy

1 cup minced cooked chicken
    1 cup minced celery
    1 large onion minced
    2 cans cream of chicken soup
    2 cans chicken broth
    Salt and Pepper (optional)

In a large sauce pan combine 1 can cream of chicken soup and 2 cans of chicken broth until smooth, then add the other can, mix until smooth. Then combine all other ingredents. Over medium heat slowly stir mix as it heats through. Conintue to stir mix until it is throughly heated, make sure to scrap the bottom of the pot as to not burn or let mix stick. Heat until mix is completely heated. Then serve over rice. Can also be drizzled cornbread dressing and turkey, if desired. (In individual plates, not the whole turkey or pan of dressing). Enjoy!

Traditional Giblet Gravy is made with the leftover liver and gizzards from the turkey, I don't like that but I loved Giblet Gravy so I came up with this recipe. If you try it I hope you like it.

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Well when I found the receipe it wasn't cinnamon rolls but it looks so scrumptious I'll post it anyway.

Dried Fruit and Nut Sweet Rolls

1 1/2 cups whole milk
    1 cup butter
    3 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
    3/4 cup firmly pack brown sugar
    3 large eggs
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon groung cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    8 to 9 cups bread flour, divided
    1/4 cup melted butter
    Dried Fruit Filling (receipe follows)
    1 cup confectioners' sugar
    3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream

In a medium saucepan, scald milk; remove from heat, and add butter. Set milk aside to cool.

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 3/4 cup warm water; let stand for 5 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine sugars, eggs, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Stir in cooled milk mixture, and yeast mixture. Gradually add 6 cups flour, beating until smooth after each addition. Beat in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.

On a lightly floured surface, turn out dough and knead for 6 to 8 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let stand in a warm place (85*) free from drafts, for 1 hour or until doubled in size.

Lightly greast a 13 x 9 inch baking dish and a 9 inch baking dish.

Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 10x15 inch rectangle. Brush with half of melted butter. Sprinkle with half of Dried Fruit Filling, leaving a 1 inch border on long side of dough. Roll up dough, starting at long side, jelly-roll fashion, pressing edge to seal. Cut into 1-inch slices and place cut sides up in prepared baking dishes. Repeat procedure with remaining dough, butter and filling. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 350*
    Bake rolls for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned.

In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners' sugar and cream. Drizzle over hot rolls. Serve warm.

Dried Fruit Filling

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    3/4 cup raisins
    3/4 cup chopped dates
    3/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
    3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Combine all ingredients and set aside.

• drgulley
    15 years ago

Sassy,

That sounds pretty darn good to me! Thanks for posting. I will have to add it to my "must try" list. :)

Dianne

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Fresh Veggie Medley

2 c. diced Tomatoes
    2 c. diced Cucumber
    2 c. Sweet or Red Onion
    1 1/2 c. Italian Dressing

Mix all ingredents together, can be used as soon as it is mixed or marinate it in the refrigerator 1-4 hours to allow the flavors to combine. Serve with baked fish or baked chicken. Or as a cold side dish to any meat dish.

Dill Salmon

4 Salmon Fillets
    1 c. Sour Cream
    Garlic Powder
    Dill Weed

Lay salmon fillets in a 13 x 9 baking dish, lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Lightly spread a thin layer of sour cream over each fillet, cover completely. Lightly sprinkle dill weed over each fillet, and VERY lighty sprinkle garlic powder over fillets. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until salmon flakes with a fork.

Lime and Dill Salmon

4-6 Salmon Fillets
    1 c. mayonaise
    1 Lime
    1 t. Dill
    1/2 t. garlic powder
    Salt and Pepper

In a small mixing bowl mix mayonaise, juice of 1 lime, dill, and garlic powder with a slight sprinkle of salt and pepper until completely smooth. Mix should be thin, but not runny. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray lightly. Place salmon fillets in the baking pan, pan should large enough to hold the number of fillets you are cooking. Coat each fillet with the lime dill mayo mixture. Place in a pre-heated oven and cook at 400 degrees for 20-25 mintues. Salmon is done when it flakes with a fork.

Lemon Pepper Salmon

4 Salmon
    2-3 Lemons
    Black Pepper
    Salt (optional)
    Wash chicken and pat dry. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Place chicken breast/tenderloins in baking dish. Squeeze the juice of the lemon(s) over each piece, making sure the juice falls on each piece of chicken. Sprinkle black pepper, lightly over each piece of chicken, each piece of chicken should have sprikles of pepper, not completely covered, but dotted with pepper. Lightly sprinkle with salt if desired. Peel 1 lemon and slice very thinnly, place 2 or 3 slices of lemon over each piece of salmon, small pieces will only need 2 slices, large pieces will need 3 slices. Place baking pan in a pre-heated 400 degree oven. Cook salmon fillets for 25-30 minutes.

Lemon Pepper Chicken

4 Chicken Breast
    or
    16-20 Chicken breast tenderloins
    1-2 Lemons
    Black Pepper
    Salt (optional)

Wash chicken and pat dry. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Place chicken breast/tenderloins in baking dish. Squeeze the juice of the lemon(s) over each piece, making sure the juice falls on each piece of chicken. Sprinkle black pepper, lightly over each piece of chicken, each piece of chicken should have sprikles of pepper, not completely covered, but dotted with pepper. Lightly sprinkle with salt if desired. Place baking pan in a pre-heated 400 degree oven. Cook chicken for 25-35 minutes, until done.

Squashsagna

3-4 thinnly sliced yellow squash (may use eggplant)
    Prepared spaghetti meat sauce (store bought or homemade)
    2-4 c. shredded cheese

Wash and cut squash into very thin slices. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray, then cover the bottom of the pan with a layer of cut squash. Spoon on a layer of the prepared sauce. Then cover with a layer of cheese. Repeat the process until the pan is completely full, slightly below the top of the pan. Sprinkle a layer of cheese over the mixture and place in a pre-heated 350 degree oven and bake for 35-45 minutes. Squash should be completely cooked through.
    * If you use eggplant it must be sliced and dryed before using as it holds more liquid then squash. You can slice it and roll into a paper towel to remove moisture or pat dry.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi gang, I wanted to post a reminder for everyone to go ahead and start emailing your favorite picture of a bloom from your garden, as well as your favorite spot in your home state. Please ID the flower and the location for me so I can add that into the caption along with your name so you can get the well deserved credit!

Jeanne, thank you, I did receive your email the other day. I got a little busy with all the Halloween preparation and forgot to email you. :o)

Sassy, those sweet rolls look great! YUM!

Fran, way to go on all those recipes, I love lemon chicken!

I made pulled pork yesterday for the first time. It was great! I used my slow cooker and let it simmer for around 10 hours. The pork tasted great. I had some garlic cloves and onion chopped up in the pot along with a bit of salt and black pepper and paprika. After I pulled it apart I threw some BBQ sauce in and let is simmer for another hour and served it on toasted buns with slaw and rosemary roasted redskin potatoes. GOOD STUFF!

OK, midnight tonight is the deadline for posting the last recipes. So let's get cooking! :O)

Tracy

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Fran those look awesome girl!

Tracy thanks for reminding me about the pics. I'll try to do some work tonight. I've had little Kenzie the weekend and the poor little thing was so sick. She went to the dr. this morning and she has a cold and ear infection. She's such a good baby even when shes sick. If anything good could come out of it she wanted me to hold her alot and I loved every second of that. Usually shes on the move every second and you have to steal sugar. lol I hope your little ones are feeling better and anyone else that has sick ones:)

Sassy

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

I made a Mistake!!! Way back when, I posted a hamburger pie recipe! If anyone has tried it and chopped their carrots it probably wasn't very good! The carrots and onions are grated in this recipe! So sorry! But that makes it so easy to make with a food processor. Just grate and done in a jiffy! I have never made this and had anyone not like it.

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Cheesy Broccoli Bacon Soup 4-6 servings
    10 - 12 oz broccoli, thawed
    8 oz block of cream cheese (any brand)
    2 cans of chicken broth (low salt)
    3 cup heavy whipping cream
    8 slices cooked bacon, drained and crumbled
    1 Large onion, diced
    1/2 stick butter*
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    Pepper and dash salt,to taste (or add seasoning blend and NO salt)
    Bring cream cheese to room temperature (or put in the microwave covered for 20 sec.) Pour broth and cream cheese into slow cooker, heat until smooth, while this is bleding in a pot sauté onion in 2T. butter until almost transparent. Add broccoli, onion, and remaining butter to
    slow cooker. Pour in cream, milk, 2 cups of cheese, stir until blended. Cook on low until cheese completely melts, and everything is heated through. Very rich and hearty soup.
    Serve with crusty bread if desired.
    * Butter can be omitted, if on a diet.

Just wanted to be sure if the 2 cups milks, then 2 cups milk are a typo or do you add 4 cups? I think I know but its your receipe so I'd rather you tell me for sure. lol
    Thanks dear.

Sassy

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Melinda, I'll do my best to remember to correct it for Tracy. (Lord, help me keep my mind.) lol

Fran, btw, that receipe sounds soooo good, just wanted to make sure we have it right for the cookbook, and me:) grin

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Okay, one last recipe for cookies. This is a recipe from when I was in junior high taking home economics. LOL
    They are good cookies though!

Snickerdoodles

Mix thoroughly:
    1 c, shortning
    1 1/2 c. sugar
    2 eggs

Sift together dry ingredients and stir them in: 2 3/4 c. flour, 2 tsp cream of tartar, 1 tsp. baking soda, and 1/4 tsp salt

Roll into ballks the size of small walnuts. Roll in mixture of 2 T. sugar and 2 tsp. cinnamon. Place 2" apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned but still soft. 400 degreees for 8-10 min.

Makes 5 doz. 2" cookies.

Jeanne

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

I had 8 recipes typed out and lost them all....GRRRRRRRRRR

Barbecued Meat Balls
    1 pound ground beef
    1/2 cup milk
    1 cup crushed saltines
    1 chopped onion

Mix the above and form into balls. Brown in pan on top of stove. Turn to brown.

Sauce
    1 Tbsp Worchestershire
    3 Tbsp sugar
    2 Tbsp vinegar
    1 cup catsup
    1/2 cup water
    Combine and pour sauce over browned meat balls. Simmer 45 minutes on top of stove.

Broccoli Casserole
    1 pkg. frozen chopped broccoli
    1/2 cup grated cheese
    1/2 cup mayo
    1 tsp. Lawrys seasoning salt
    1/4 milk
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 med onion
    1 egg
    Cheese crackers
    Cook broccoli for 5 min. and drain. Add remaining ingredients (except for crackers) and blend together well. Top with crushed cheese crackers. Bake in baking dish 45 min. at 350.

Shirley

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Shirley, I know, its so aggravating. Same thing happened to me with a lot more. So happy to see you posting and please know you're in our thoughts and prayers, always know that!

Hugs
    Sassy

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

I never liked cheese balls until i tried this one.

Cheese Ball

2(8oz.)pkg. cream cheese softened
    1(6 oz.) block cheddar cheese shredded
    1 bunch long stem onions, chopped
    2 pkg. wafer thin beef (buddig) chopped
    1/2 cup nuts chopped
    Mix with hands cream cheese, 2/3 of cheddar cheese, chopped onion stems and meat. Roll in a ball and coat with remaining Cheddar cheese and nuts.

Love these better than any I have ever tried

Sausage Biscuit Bites
    3/4 lb. hot pork sausage
    2 2/3 c. all-purpose flour
    2 Tbsp sugar
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 c. shortening
    1 pkg dry yeast
    1/4 c. warm water
    1 c. buttermilk
    melted butter
    Cook sausage in skillet; drain well and set aside. Combine next 5 ingredients, mixing well. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand 5 min. Add yeast mixture to buttermilk, stirring well. Add to dry ingredients, stirring until moistened. Knead in sausage. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Knead lightly 3 to 4 times. Roll dough out and cut with round cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and brush with melted butter. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 min or until brown

Shirley

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Sassy-Thank you so much that means alot to me.

I posted on two other forums but a few may not know on this one. I lost my beloved Brother last week and it has been so hard for me. He lived in S.C. but we saw him often and had a great relationship. I miss him so much and it hurts so bad.

Shirley

• drgulley
    15 years ago

Hi all,

Here are my pictures of my one of my favorite places in my home state and one of my favorite flowers. It's hard to pick a favorite of anything you know. :)

Paw Print Daylily

{{gwi:663791}}

San Antonio Riverwalk

{{gwi:1303103}}

This is so much fun! Why didn't I find this forum a long time ago?

Dianne

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Shirley, thanks for the receipes hun. I saw that and I was so upset for you, I apologize for not posting over there but I've had little Kenzie until this morning. She was a sick little girl the weekend and needed my attention so I didn't get much posting done. Please know I'm thinking of you and I'm hugging you always when you need it.

This new time makes me want to go to bed early. Anyone else? I hate it when the time changes. Oh well, not alot of posting so I think I'm going to bed.

Have a good nite girls
    Sassy

• drgulley
    15 years ago

Shirley,

I posted on the Traveling Daylily forum but I will continue to keep you in my prayers. I am so sorry to hear about what happened.

Dianne

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Of course the DOUBLE MILK is a TYPO and the sad thing is...I read through them at least THREE times to make sure everything was right and DID NOT CATCH THAT>>> THANKS sassy dear, that is what your here for...LOL.

I CAN NOT believe I MISSED that...now that you pointed it out it STICKS out like a sore thumb, SOOO SORRY good you caught it!!! Thanks again.

Oh Shirley, I am so sorry for your loss. I will be thinking about you and keep you in my prayers. I know you will never get over losing him. It is so hard. Bless you.

I can't wait to get a copy of this book. It is going to have so many GREAT recipes in it. It is wonderful!!!!
    Thank you both for putting this together.

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shirley, I am so terribly sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. You and your family are in my prayers.

Melinda, Fran, and Sassy, thanks for catching those woopsies. I've done it a few times in my recipes too.

Dianne, your daylily is beautiful and the Riverwalk is so peaceful looking. How lucky you are to have that near you!

Thank you everyone for all the wonderful recipes! I am so excited and proud of everyone for all their contributions! This is a great bunch of people and I can't wait to get the finished product out to all of you who made this possible.

Sassy, I wanted to say a special thank you to you sweetie. This was a fantastic idea and is a wonderful way of pulling together all these amazing people from all over the country. You are a great lady. Thank you!

Ok, I am off to vote and then get back to sorting the recipes. Keep sending those pictures to me. You can post here or email them to me. Thanks gang!

Tracy

• sassyd
    15 years ago

LOL Fran! I'll fix it for you, no problem. I'm collecting the receipes for Tracy now.

How long did it take you girls to vote? We'll go after dh gets off work.

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Well, I hope everyone got out and voted today!
    I am excited about the book! So many wonderful recipes and can't wait to get my copies!
    Dianne, What a beautiful daylily!!! Will have to put that on my wish list for sure! And to be by such a lovely place to walk around. It is so peaceful looking!
    Have a wonderful evening everyone! Melinda

• drgulley
    15 years ago

Thanks Tracy and Melinda. I should have tried to make the pictures a little smaller before I posted. I really enjoy going to San Antonio to the Riverwalk. It is about 2 1/2 hours away from where I live. Sometimes they have vendors that sell jewelry and arts and crafts on the sidwalk.

Dianne

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I voted yesterday and was inside for maybe 40 minutes, that included my wait in line to vote, voting, and then scanning my ballot. The experience was a great one, knowing that no matter who your vote was for that we were making history one way or another. Our country is really amazing. There is no place on earth that I would rather live. Vacation maybe but live? Nah!

Dianne, your picture is perfect. I will have to scale them no matter what for uploading so bigger is actually better for me. If they post too small sometimes the details are lost if I try to enlarge them a bit. You did great!

Awesome Sassy, thank you sweetheart for all that you are doing. You are fabulous! I will be putting my nose to the grindstone and get cracking! Woo hoo! Cookbook here we come!

Hey, is it just my computer or did GW enlarge the type? If they did it was a great idea!

• fernzilla
    14 years ago

Memphis MoJo's

1 or 2 Sweet Potatoes sliced into rounds
    Half N Half
    flour
    Seasoning Salt
    Onion Salt
    Black Pepper
    Garlic Powder

Peanut oil