Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hazelnutbunny

new: mnf november: *defrost yer turkey*

hazelnutbunny
14 years ago

Welcome to the November "Make New Friends (MNF)" swap!

This month, we will be

DEFROSTING OUR TURKEYS!color>size>

November is a great month. We've got Thanksgiving & cooler weather. But we've also got frozen tootsies & tushies. Mostly due to all that running around we do to get ready for the big meal...not to mention the day after Thanksgiving sales! Can't miss those!! :O)

So...this month we will be sending goodies to help our partners get through this hectic month. You can send pampering items (to help them de-stress...this is especially great for the busy gals!), items to help them enjoy the big Thanksgiving day games (good for the boys!), stuff to celebrate fall (good for everyone!)...really, your imagination is the limit. Well, that and a medium sized flat rate box. :O)

{{gwi:1303146}}

Here are a few guidelines for this swap:

~~~Signups will be until October 31 (Saturday). ~~~Partners will be picked during the week of Nov 1\-6. ~~~IMPORTANT: I will have a game that you will be required to play in order to assign partners. Please make sure you can commit to being online during the week of Nov 1\-6.color> This is for fun...you will be picking your own partner. :O) ~~~Packages must be mailed by November 20th, so that everyone has their goodies before Thanksgiving. (and to give plenty of time for the December swap to be posted!) ~~~PRIORITY MAILcolor> is a must. A medium sized flat rate box with delivery confirmation, please. You may send the larger flat rate box, but nothing smaller, please. ~~~Remember, items can be anything you'd like to send this month. Just try to send what you'd like to RECEIVE, and something keeping within the Thanksgiving/Fall theme. {{gwi:1303146}} Okie Dokie. I think that's it. Let the sign ups begin!

Comments (75)

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

Well, I got great news at work today. One of the city carriers came in and told us all that her daughter has the swine flu, and that she's a possible carrier. Since we've all been exposed now, the deed is pretty much done, and we're all just kind of waiting to see if we come down with it ourselves. Schools have been closed all week around here because of the swine flu, hospitals have begun to deny visitors, and more and more people are coming down with it. Great, eh?
    I don't want to expose anyone to this crud by accident, so I'm going to withdraw from the swap. I love trading with you all, but I don't want to send anyone any viruses. So, throw me back in the freezer and list me as a "frozen turkey".

-Dan

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

Wow Dan..hope you don't get it!...We'll all be sending YOU packages of soup and tea!

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, Dan...lots of tea for you, young man! We don't want you sick!!
    They have a tea made especially for preventing/treating colds/flu...I forget the name, but it's got tons of licorice in it- and that fights stuff big time! So, if you can stand it, eat lots of pure licorice candy. (ick!) That helps, too. Of course, you can always take the pill form of licorice.

Welcome, Deb!!

Defrosted Turkeys (players):

Melissa/hazelnutbunny
    Becky/proudgm
    Heidi/hdiperna
    Linda/lindaruzicka
    Kathy/catrionaa
    Christan/georgia_teacher
    Joan/ejmoore510
    Iris/rane_grow
    Laura/lilangel181
    Carol/veeja11
    Vina/flowergirl34
    Kamil/kamiljablo
    Deb/debbya

Frozen Turkeys (lurkers):

Everyone else!

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

I'm doing what I can to bulk up my immune system, have been for awhile now since cases of the h1n1 virus started showing up locally. I'm drinking lots of OJ, honey, and warm tea. Eating a lot of chicken soup and garlic. And, trying to get plenty of rest. Sometimes that one can be a toughie though... Stella likes to get in bed with me around 4am, and if I'm not in the "correct" position, she yells at me and moves me around until SHE is comfortable.
    I'd probably be okay in sending a box out to someone, but this stuff is so virulent, and flu bugs seem to be able to mutate into stronger strains, I just don't it's worth taking the chance, know what I mean? So, I'm putting myself into quarantine for the duration.
    Of course, sending a bit of tea this way would be okay, don't you think? ((grin)) Just kidding! I think I've got enough tea in the house. Now, Linda, you could break out some tequila and pour me a cup. That'd be okay!
    (sigh) I really do hate Winter, you know that?

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

do ya want the worm with that shot??

• veeja11
    14 years ago

Dan, load up on echinacea, if you grow it pick the flowers and blend them in your blender, then either put it in gel caps or make tea or just eat a teaspoon of it every time you think of it. I buy caps at swansons herbs online bought a little capping table there too and cap my own, works great to prevent a cold or flu not so well to get rid of one you are in the middle of. good luck, stay well. hugs carol

• diene
    14 years ago

Hello All;
    I am not joining just hanging around. Sorry to hear about the germs Dan, that stinks. I am very annoyed that they have been unable to offer the vaccine for this as they have known it was going to be an issue for more than six month.
    I sent Becky a note offering to field her question, I am intrigued now. If you did not get the message Becky, send me an e-mail.
    diene

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just checking in for a second! I hope everyone is having a great weekend so far. It's almost over, I know. :o(

Today was a stormy, yucky kind of day...so I thought I'd make some tea to warm myself up. BUT...when I was pouring the water into my cup, the lid popped off the teapot. The steam from the boiling water burned my right hand (the hand I was pouring with), so I dropped the teapot, which made the boiling water splash on my other hand! My left hand is fine- but my right hand is burned pretty badly. I've been soaking it in cold water off & on for an hour now, and smearing aloe on it between the soaks. 3 of my fingers have second degree burns- nice big white blisters & red puffiness. Very attractive & oh so painful. (typing one-handed, btw!)
    Who knew that steam would burn worse than boiling water? Huh.
    Now I know. Yay.

Anyway.
    I hope everyone's weekend is going OK & no one is sick!
    Stay well, everyone!! :O)

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

this just plain sucks. I'm out of sick days, so it's off to work I go, sneezing, hacking, and with a killer headache. and whoever came up with the phrase "a tickle in my throat" should know it's no laughing matter.
    could someone just shoot me? please???

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Dan, does that mean the pigs got you??? Im sorry to hear you feel cruddy, I hope it gets better soon!

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

I don't know if it was the pigs that got me, but I'll be finding out soon. I've got a doctor's appointment tomorrow afternoon. He'd get me in sooner, but he's swamped. And when your doctor is also a good friend of yours, and still has to say that, you know it's the truth! Usually he fits me in right away, but even the local emergency room is putting restrictions on who it will admit. I've never seen anything like this! Yesterday, the local schools closed until November 2, saying "we want to give this flu outbreak a chance to run it's course and fade away, instead of being swapped around from person to person."
    Now, could someone please pass me some more kleenex?
    The big thing I'm thankful for is that pets aren't getting sick. I don't know what I'd do if this affected my Bump and Stella! It's like I have 2 fuzzy satellites now, they only leave me to go use the litter box or get a little something to eat or drink. And the funny thing about that is that they take turns, never leaving me alone. I am indeed fortunate to have them!
    Talk to you all later!

• arroyogardener
    14 years ago

Okay baste this Lurker! Her Buns are thawed finally!

I kept telling myself...no no no...you've swapped enough but, you guys are having too much fun...except for poor Dan of course. (hugs Dan)

Anyway! I just think it would be fun to pamper someone this Thanksgiving! oooo picking our own partners by playing a game...interesting...lol...so please sign me up too.

Hugs,

Jamie

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Dan I am sorry that you are feeling bad again. I am glad to hear that Bump and Stella are taking care of you. Isn't the unconditional love of pets great!!

Today is rainy and I heard that it's going to be that way for Trick-or-Treating...I hope it's not to miserable.

Heidi

• flowergirl34
    14 years ago

Hi all...just checking in.

Dan, so sorry your so under the weather. Hope you feel better soon!

YEAH! Our gaggle of defrosters is getting pretty good!

Heidi, that's what the weather man had on today's weather for us too on Saturday...hope it passes us by...we are waterlogged this year!

I had to put up a screen "catch net" for my koi's. The pond is filling almost up and over on one side. I am terrified I might find them in the yard...or worse....HERON CHOW. Now that's a horror Halloween story I would like not to happen!

Talk to you soon!
    vina

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, Dan! Ick!!! You have had more than your fair share of illness this year, I think! (you need to share with someone....got any enemies? LOL!) Take care of yourself, lots of rest & fluids....lots of garlic & onions, chicken soup & hot tea! And let Bump take care of the housework for once. :O)

Hi Jamie! Welcome to the swap!

I do want to remind everyone to be sure to check in DAILY starting on Sunday, Nov 1, for Thanksgiving Dinner.color> We will be playing a game to pick partners, and there will NOT be a playing order. We will be going by first come, first served! So if you don't check in until Friday, you get the leftovers. :O)

Melissa/hazelnutbunny
    Becky/proudgm
    Heidi/hdiperna
    Linda/lindaruzicka
    Kathy/catrionaa
    Christan/georgia_teacher
    Joan/ejmoore510
    Iris/rane_grow
    Laura/lilangel181
    Carol/veeja11
    Vina/flowergirl34
    Kamil/kamiljablo
    Deb/debbya
    Jamie/arroyogardener

Everyone else!

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

Poor Dan!! You need to wear one of those white mask thingys! ..."pouring some bailey's in your tea"...maybe you need a hot toddie instead??

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

I made it to the doctor finally this afternoon (they're booked solid) and was diagnosed with the swine flu. Since my roommate is now coughing and running a temp, it looks like the whole house has got it. All the schools are closed now, most until next week. There have been warnings put out about not getting into large crowds of people until this is over. There's also a possibility that the town will cancel trick-or-treating this weekend. Hopefully parents will do something at home for the kids, can you imagine? Once I'm feeling better, I'm going to buy a few gallons of bleach and sanitize the whole house. Man, this sucks. I'm off to find some chicken soup, just wanted to let you all know how things are going hereabouts.
    Everyone take care, and I'll be back when I can.
    -Dan & Co.

• dancingrabbit
    14 years ago

I want to join i am sorry i sent my packages in late for this month but my pourch caught fire and my aunt died . I wont let it happen again i swear lol i realy do want to be an active member her on gw

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

I want to play....I want to play!!!!!

Annie

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Dan~ was the Dr able to give you any medicine? I hope that you are not down and out to long.

Han anyone else started "stuffing" their box? I know we don't have partners yet, but somehow my box is half full already. I guess I better slow down a little :o)

Dancingrabbit~ sorry to hear about the fire, I hope you didn't lose anything.

Talk to you turkeys later
    Heidi

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Leah/dancingrabbit~ As long as your box from last month is sent AND received by your partner before Sunday, you can play. We'd love to have you! :O)

Dan~ Take it easy & get better soon!!

Annie~ Glad to have you! :O)

Melissa/hazelnutbunny
    Becky/proudgm
    Heidi/hdiperna
    Linda/lindaruzicka
    Kathy/catrionaa
    Christan/georgia_teacher
    Joan/ejmoore510
    Iris/rane_grow
    Laura/lilangel181
    Carol/veeja11
    Vina/flowergirl34
    Kamil/kamiljablo
    Deb/debbya
    Jamie/arroyogardener
    Annie/canyonwind

Thawing Turkeys (waiting):

Leah/dancingrabbit

Everyone else!

• arroyogardener
    14 years ago

Oh Hiedi...I'm So glad you said that...I think I started filling mine before I admitted to myself I was going to sign up for this swap lol. I just have a few things but, Yes, I have already started with a few special pamper things that could go male or female...

Hugs,

Jamie

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

"setting down chaise lounge, blanket, cooler and hot tea at the beginning of the line"...just waiting for Sunday..."G"

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

I won't be able to play this month, so please stick this turkey back in the freezer. I should keep until xmas.

~CA

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Linda can I wait with you?? I promise to leave the kids at home!! I will bring some fresh Banana Bread.

Heidi

• scarlettseraph
    14 years ago

I'd love to join! This will be my first Round Robin, I've already got some ideas for things to send... how exciting!

Scarlett

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

fresh banana bread with hot tea?.."smacking lips"...you just sit right here Heidi..."patting extra chair"

• jaleeisa
    14 years ago

Wanted to let you all know surgery went well and I'm home. Been hit be a Mack truck and really dopey, but home. Love you all and thank you for the thoughts and prayers. More when I can stay up longer (HUGS)

Kathy

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad to hear everything went well, Kathy! Come back and post when you feel like it, I know we're all thinking about you! *hug*

Scarlett~ Glad to have you! :o)

Heidi & Linda....I'll pass on the banana bread (I don't like bananas!), but ya'll feel free to share the tea, ya hear?

Melissa/hazelnutbunny
    Becky/proudgm
    Heidi/hdiperna
    Linda/lindaruzicka
    Kathy/catrionaa
    Christan/georgia_teacher
    Joan/ejmoore510
    Iris/rane_grow
    Laura/lilangel181
    Carol/veeja11
    Vina/flowergirl34
    Kamil/kamiljablo
    Deb/debbya
    Jamie/arroyogardener
    Annie/canyonwind
    Scarlett/scarlettseraph

Thawing Turkeys (waiting):

Leah/dancingrabbit

Everyone else!

• scarlettseraph
    14 years ago

I'm way more excited at the idea of making up the package than I should be... I've already got a couple of things set aside and waiting :) I love making up surprises for people... now I just need a people to send it to!

Scarlett

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

Kathy...be well!

Miss Scarlett...welcome!!

Happy Thursday to all!

Annie

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Come on...try the banana bread. It has chocolate chips in it. I don't like bananas either, but the bread is not bad.

I just want to share a wonderful shopping experience. There is a candle store about 15 min north of me called Colonial Candle Crafters. I just love that store. They make and decorate their own candles. Everyone is so pleasant and eager to help. The candles that they don't make are from other small candle businesses. Last year I bought my MIL a luminaria made from Bee's wax. This store is a true gem in my community. Then I went by our local garden center...Perennials were buy one get one free. Lots of awesome Iris's and Hosta's. I refrained from going broke and bought a "starburst" ice plant and Penstemon "sunburst ruby". After Payday I might have to go back and pick up something else :o)

Ok thats enough rambling. I just love being able to shop in cheerful local stores then big chains where the people don't care if you are there or not.

Hope everyone is having a nice day...it's still raining here.
    Heidi

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

After a real life tasting of that Banana Bread Im definitely in for the snack! Bunny, youll like it, I promise!!n Hey Heidi, mind sending me a copy of that recipe? Seriously! I actually had a dream about it the other day. In my dream I think I was having a one woman bake sale. *drools a little bit*
    ~Laura

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Laura I sent the recipe through GW email. If you don't get it let me know. Sorry it took so long. I made 3 batches yesterday to freeze and I meant to send it to you while I was waiting on the oven.

I just went out to harvest the seeds out of my drying sunflowers. Huge BUMMER...some of them were molding. Must be all this stinking rain. Just last week I checked on them and they were all dry. Luckily I was able to get a little bit from them all...just not the quantity I was hoping for. Oh well there is always next year.

Off to a very wet football game. Talk to you ladies
    later :o)

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I make tons of banana bread for hubby & the kids....and the kids at hubby's work..LOL! Seems the guys up there are either single or their wives don't cook for them. :O( Hubby always has me add dark chocolate to it, and the kids like theirs triple chocolate (dark chocolate chips, white chocolate chips & cocoa in the batter...UGH! Good waste of chocolate! LOL!)
    ANYWAY....the scent is great- I love to smell it, I just don't like to eat it. Bananas and me just don't get along. Wish they did, though...I know they're good for me.

Now...pumpkin bread. That's good stuff. I make that just so I can smell it, too! :o)
    But my favorite is lemon bread. With icing. Yum. *drool*

Heidi, I love those little stores! I live in an old vineyard town, and there are local families here that still own vineyards & orchards and have their own stores with all sorts of homemade goodies. I try to *support* them at least once a week- they are great people. :O)

Ok, ya'll be good for the next day or so...I'm getting the "dinner" ready. I need ya'll to behave and stay out of the kitchen, ya hear?
    Except for Dan...he's promised to boss me around and tell me what to do, since he can't play with us.

• dan_the_mailman
    14 years ago

***nibbing on some stuffing***

Hey Melissa! Where's that recipe of yours for the chicken soup? ***banging cupboard doors*** I can't find it!

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Ok I don't have a recipe for Lemon bread but I will load up my basket with pumpkin bread and pumpkin butter to spread on top.

How you hanging in there Dan??? Run out of tissues yet?

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    14 years ago

Hey y'all , I used to have a recipe for lemon pound cake that the barefoot contessa made ... it was to die for ... Hazelnutbunny, would you share your recipe ?

Dan, how are you feeling ? My roomie is sick too ;-( hope I don't get it too !

~Iris

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

I love poppy seed bread and zuchinni bread. Just thought I would throw my two cents in!

Becky

• perennialfan273
    14 years ago

Hi bunny, how're ya doin'? (wow, my grammar is awful lol) Last time I spoke with you you'd just had your baby. How is he/she (I forgot lol) doing?

I wish I could participate this month, but unfortunately I don't think I'll have time. Next month I think I'll be able to though.

Also, I have an idea I'd love to bounce off of you. We could do a grab bag. The rules are simple. Everyone has a gift box, with various Christmas and garden goodies inside. Online, we each take turns picking "boxes". The order that people go in will be determined by the order that they sign up for the swap. Also, we'll pick a day that we'll all be at our computers (so that the game isn't delayed when someone doesn't post). When it's your turn, you pick a person whose box you'd like to hold onto, and you can either keep on playing, or you can open your box. If you open your box, you HAVE to keep it, no matter what's inside it. Now, all the boxes will be good, except one, which I haven't chosen a name for yet, and this box will have a bunch of really silly stuff inside it (but still a couple cool stuff, to be nice :-). Now, here's the fun part. You can steal, like you'd normally do in the real game, but you're also allowed one "peek". When you peek, (as well as everyone else) will learn (the person whose box it is will tell you) what's inside of the box without actually opening it, so you get to learn a little about what's inside your box. We keep playing until everybody "opens" their box, and after we know who is getting what, we mail the boxes out to each other. These rules are not finalized, these are just ideas, but feel free to edit them if you'd like.

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

Hi,
    I'm a frozen turkey right now.. I have pull out of this swap. I can't catch up with everything that I have to do here. My finch "Mrs. Finch" was sick last week, I nursed her back to health, and she's doing really good. Now, my hamster "Greedy" looks as though he aged 50 years with in a week, he stopped eating and started walking really slowly, shaky. I'm not sure if he had a stroke? He's on antibiotics and I'm handfeeding him. He's really old (4 or more years) so hopefully, he gets better fast. I looked up the lifespan for a teddybear hamster and it's one to two years, a few websites also said possibly 3. I had no idea that they had such a short lifespan. Has anyone had one that lived longer?
    I spent the entire day today going through my computer desk and shredding old bills. Now, I have a ton of laundry to catch up with, ugh. We are going out to eat tonight, I'm exhausted, LOL! Next week is worse, we are painting and getting new furniture for our Family room.

Deb

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Perennial! :O) Great to see you post, it HAS been awhile, huh? Baby's doing fine (her name is Lili), she'll be 1 in December...and we've got another one on the way in April (long story, and a true miracle!).
    I do like your idea, BTW...it's kinda like a white elephant, isn't it? Sounds like it'd be fun, in any case!

Okay, Dan....here's the deal....I almost NEVER use a written recipe when I make soup! I'm a "what ever I darn well feel like" kinda gal. I only use recipes as *guidelines* when I'm baking...never cooking.
    Anyway...here's what I usually do when I make chicken soup (keep in mind, I make enough to feed 10 people or so!):
    I take about 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts; one large, chopped onion; 4-6 crushed garlic cloves(large ones); red pepper flakes (probably about 2 tsps); 2-3 chopped jalapeno peppers; fresh chopped oregano (or dried, probably about 1 tsp dried, a good fistful if fresh); salt & pepper......I boil all of that in a stock pot that's about 3/4 full of water. Boil it until the chicken starts falling apart, usually 1.5-2 hours. Then, I take the chicken out & shred it...pop it back in there, add bunches of chopped carrots & celery stalks, plus some more spices- paprika, cumin, tiny pinch of sage, curry.....and whatever else I feel like it needs. Let that boil for another hour, then I add either some cooked rice or uncooked noodles- just however much I want to fill in. Sometimes I like a lot of broth, sometimes I don't.
    That's basically it- just throw & go, is my motto. :o)
    Oh, and when there is a sick person in the house (with a cold or such), I usually go for more spice & more broth. I've even thrown some lemon balm in there, along with catnip & other "cold fighting" herbs. I don't think I cook the same soup twice. LOL

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Shucks...I got up this morning and thought today is the day...then I remembered that its only the 31st. I guess Happy Halloween is in order **passing around the bowl of candy**

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

"stting in my chair at the head of the line with Heidi, drinking tea and munching on her homemade banana bread"...is it Sunday yet???

• Debra Andruska
    14 years ago

Just wanted to peek in and say "HI"

Deb

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Hello all!
    I hope everyone is having a spooky Halloween! My friend Erin and I co-hosted a party last night at her place that was a quazi-bust. Of the 15 or 20 people we invited only 5 of us showed up... me, her, my boyfriend, and 2 friends!!! I cooked "flesh, mexican style" aka enchilada casserole, and devils food cake with orange frosting, and we made mulled cider in the crock pot and red mojitos. I had fun, but then again I had way too much to drink!

Heidi, I dont think the email went through. Maybe try a direct email: LiLangeL181@aol.com.

Have a safe and fun evening everyone! Id love to see those costumes BTW... *hint*hint* :)
    ~Laura

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

Perennial how about instead of one "not so good" box you have one that is a super duper box since it is Christmas. That way no one will be disappointed. Just a thought.

Bunny, I guess I missed it again. Congratulations!

• scarlettseraph
    14 years ago

Proudgm, I agree... every time I play that game with people I just try and get something fun and unique. Then its up to peoples personalities to determine what they are willing to fight for. My mother's bunco group used to do it every year with a different theme... Salt and Pepper shakers, Martini glasses, ornaments, sunglasses, bracelets etc. Every year it was something different. I think that's pretty fun, and I do think Perennials idea could work and be a lot of fun.

Scarlett

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, while I"m finishing dinner, ya'll look over my list and make sure I've gotten everyone.

Melissa/hazelnutbunny
    Becky/proudgm
    Heidi/hdiperna
    Linda/lindaruzicka
    Kathy/catrionaa
    Christan/georgia_teacher
    Joan/ejmoore510
    Iris/rane_grow
    Laura/lilangel181
    Carol/veeja11
    Vina/flowergirl34
    Kamil/kamiljablo
    Jamie/arroyogardener
    Annie/canyonwind
    Scarlett/scarlettseraph

I will probably post the game a bit later tonight, since I'll be away for most of tomorrow (last minute thingy!).

• hazelnutbunny
    Original Author
    14 years ago

NEW THREAD HAS BEEN POSTED FOR OUR GAME!color>size>

Please check out the "Dessert for Defrosted Turkeys" thread! :O)