Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ericabraun

UPDATE: Spooktacular Halloween Swap (part 4)

EricaBraun
9 years ago

New thread. Old one is full.

!!Happy Halloween Everyone!!

Halloween Lantern entries are due today.

A big thank you to everyone who participated in the swap! It was great to see so much interest and so many spooky seeds!

Enjoy a bit of Halloween music (below picture) while you carve your lanterns.

Here is a link that might be useful: Witches Brew

This post was edited by EricaBraun on Fri, Oct 31, 14 at 13:03

Comments (20)

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Happy Halloween!!!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here was our first Halloween Lantern entry by Melinda.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's our second entry, by Mary.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

I painted glass blobs for the eyes. When we posted the pictures, I let my son think the dinosaurs pumpkins were in the running! LOL
    My pumpkin "Seedy" represents the dichotomy of good and evil, the small gourds are I.S.I.S and Ebola. The cat planter represents the calming influence of gardening.

Yesterday, while I was carving, the doorbell rang. A procession of little kids from next door were bringing their carved pumpkins over here. ?? The family won't be answering the door, they will be out trick or treating, so they thought they would put them in our window.

Mary E.

This post was edited by cottonwood468 on Fri, Oct 31, 14 at 22:02

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow. I can't believe we only had two entries!

This is going to be a tough one. Help me decide the outcome. Between now and midnight on Nov 1st, email me your votes of which one you like best. I will keep you two ladies in suspense for just a little longer.

Anyone who participated in the swap is welcome to vote!

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago

Erica, I got my seeds Thursday and wow what fun! You rock!!! I can't believe you got it all done so quickly. My mom was here when I opened the package and she just laughed and made some comment about needing more garden space. Her next comment was something to the effect of me having a seed hoarding problem. Lol! Yes I do!

With it being the end of the quarter, I never did get Max carved so he's on the chopping block this weekend. If he stays on the deck the deer will find him and eat him and his seeds. There's nothing quite like waking up to deer sitting on your deck!

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dawn -- Oh, wow. I didn't know that they were pumpkin fans. I do bet that is quite a sight though. :)

• midwestfarmwife
    9 years ago

Received my seed package yesterday. Wow! Those are some big Marina di Chioggia seeds Erica. Did you grow that giant veggie? Thank you and everyone who contributed so much for all the great seeds to think about during the cold Ohio winter. I'm really looking forward to planting next spring.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mary -- The Marina was from the farm I go to. My first interest in it was its look -- it's beautiful, blue and very unique. Then I cut into it to eat it and found it to be super sweet and tasty. Definitely a great pumpkin. Picture of mommy is below.

The Crane Melon seeds are from the original Crane Melon Barn. This was my first year going. It was interesting getting to talk to the people there. They only grow Crane melons and watermelon, to insure that there isn't any cross pollination. It was kind of funny going into a huge barn and finding only a small section that has melons.

• flowergirl34
    9 years ago

GOT MY SEEDS :D Erica, thank you so much!! So many surprises and a few off my want list! AWESOME!!
    Hope everyone had a terrific Halloween!!
    Love the Lumpy Bumpy Pumpkin! May have to try that one next year.

Happy Sowing!!
    vina

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok... Ok... After much deliberation, and a couple split email votes, I have decided that both Mary AND Melinda will win the Halloween Lantern contest!! (However, I will now be mailing in bubblies, rather than boxes to save on shipping costs). I need you both to email me your address (with the right zip *pokes Mary*). Please get that to me ASAP as I would like to ship at the beginning of next week.

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU BOTH!!!!

And once again, a very big thank you to everyone who participated in the swap!

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Congrats to Melinda! And thank you for your votes, Spooks!

Would any Spooktacular participants like to receive seeds from my entry? She is eleven inches tall and thirteen or so across.

Thank you, Erica! I haven't carved a pumpkin for several years. It's been a fun swap, with all the extra photos and goblins.

Mary E.

This post was edited by cottonwood468 on Sun, Nov 2, 14 at 20:01

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Wow, was gone all day yesterday for my grandson's Regional football game! They came out champions! Big trophy and all got medals! Yeah for them.
    Congrats to you Mary also! I really liked yours but can't see how any one does that much carving!
    Erica, I saw where something was sent to me from you so this must be it, thought you had my addy!
    Want to thank you for such a fun swap and wonderful seeds! Hope everyone has a great November!
    Melinda

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Melinda, I realized I still had your address in an email from the Halloween swap, so I'm all set. I will be getting your packs down to the PO within the next hour, so you should receive it in a few days.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Where is everybody? Voting??

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mary -- Lol. This one is kind of a done deal. Don't think you'll see many people back on here.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Erica, if I celebrate my birthday all year, why not Halloween?

My "Anything That Can Reasonably Be Carved Into A Lantern"
    contest prize arrived safe today C'mon Spring!

Thank you, Erica, for all these carefully wrapped bulbs! They don't even realize they are in Chicago, the trip went so smooth!

Mary E.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mary -- Excellent! Thank you for letting me know. :)

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Just wanted to Thank Erica for the wonderful bulbs you sent me! I love them all! Thanks again! They will love it here! Melinda

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Melinda -- You're very welcome! Thanks for joining the swap!