Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NEW: Incredible Edibles Pumpkins, Squashes, and Gourds Swap

Posted by julia42 9a (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 10, 12 at 13:18

Hi everybody! It's time for the Incredible Edibles Pumpkins, Winter Squashes, and Gourds Swap! This is the first Incredible Edibles swap of the fall season and I'm really excited about it, so I hope everybody jumps right in.

Here are the rules:

* The swap is for Pumpkins, Winter Squashes, and Gourds. The exception to the rule would be if you have a type of summer squash that can double as a hard shelled winter squash, like trombocino or tatume or some Scallop squashes. If you're not sure if your squash counts as a "Winter" squash, send me an email. Also, please no seed mixes.

* There's no sign-up deadline, but all the seeds should be received by November 3. I will try to have your packages mailed back out by November 10.

* Seed packets should be labeled as commercial, or harvested/hand collected. Because cucurbits cross so readily, only send collected seed if you took steps (bagging or isolation) to maintain seed purity. Please don't send seeds you collected from a purchased fruit, they likely will not grow true.

* I'm going to set the minimum number of seeds per bag at just 7 seeds. I know this is pretty low, but some of these large squash seeds only have 10-15 per packet when you buy them commercially. If you have a very rare and interesting squash that you'd like to share but only have a few seeds, email me and I may make an exception to the minimum.

* Please include no more than 3 bags per variety and no more than 30 bags total. Anything beyond that will be considered extras. If you have something extremely rare or in high demand, email me and I might make an exception to the 3 bag rule.

* Please put your GW name on the seed packet. This will ensure that you don't receive your own seeds back. Also include the year the seeds were purchased or collected and whether they are commercial or hand harvested.

* Seeds should be no older than 2010.

* And last but not least, please use a bubble envelope and include a return address label, and enough postage, for the return trip. It seems like bubble envelopes are requiring four first class stamps these days. I'll resuse your bubble envelope, so no need to send another.

* Please email me if you'd like to join and I'll send you my address to mail your seeds. It would be great if you could send me your seed list and wish list via email so I can plan my sorting ahead of time. If you have a preference for a category of squash, you can let me know too, and I'll do my best to sort the seeds accordingly (i.e. - if you prefer moschatas or maximas or gourds or green pumpkins, etc.)

Feel free to ask any questions you may have and let me know if you think I've forgotten anything important!

I'm looking forward to a fun swap!

-Julia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NEW: Incredible Edibles Pumpkins, Squashes, and Gourds Swap

Hi Julia, did you get the email i sent you on Wed. for seeds I want to donate?

Wendey

o

Hi Wendey,

Thanks! I'm glad you said something because I hadn't realized your email went to my junk mail folder! Grdngramma, I found your email there too.

I'll be so happy to receive your donated seeds Wendey, and welcome to the swap, Grdgramma! I'll send you each my address.

-Julia

o

Hey Julia,
I am in. I will send you an email when I check exactly what I have I can send for sure.

Can't wait to see what comes from this swap woohoo....

:) Aqua

o

Welcome to the swap Aqua!

o

I'd like to join the swap. I'll get a list to you later this week. My seeds will include several varieties of gourds used for crafting (No, I've not done gourd crafts.) along with some pumpkins and squash.....probably some extras to share, also.

I first thought the 7 seed minimum was low. Then I opened several purchased seed packs. Wow, I was surprised at how few seeds were in many of them. Your seed count makes a lot of sense to me now!

o

Great! Welcome to the swap naturegirl!

Yeah, I went back and forth when I was deciding on the minimum seeds per bag, since a lot of the swaps have a 10-12 seed minimum for larger seeds. In fact, if a lot of the swappers tended toward wanting a higher minimum, I'd be willing to change it, but a lower count made sense to me...

-Julia

o

So far we have four swappers:

Julia42 (me)
Grdngramma
Aquadragonfly
Naturegirl_2007

Anyone else out there? The more swappers we have, the better the seed variety! We'd love to have you join!

o

We have a new addition to our list of swappers! Welcome, GardenGirl37232!

Our list is now:

GardenGirl37232
Julia42 (me)
Grdngramma
Aquadragonfly
Naturegirl_2007

Anybody else out there who would like to join?

-Julia

o

wow, not many ppl wanting these anymore? used to be a BIG thing...I LOVE them I want them ALL!!!

I've added a pic of my monster gourd, I thought it was a pumpkin I had thrown out BUT it turned out to be a gourd!!!

o

Well, we still have some time for more joiners. Even if we don't have too many more people join, I'm still happy to do the swap if everyone still wants too.

That said, we do have a new addition to our list:

habitat_gardener
GardenGirl37232
Julia42 (me)
Grdngramma
Aquadragonfly
Naturegirl_2007

It would be great if we could get a couple more!

Julia

o

Hi Julia, you might want to post a notice on the pumpkin,squash,& gourd forum. Just a thought :-D

Wendey

o

Thanks Wendey - I can't believe I overlooked that one! It's done.

-Julia

o

I am totally joining! Let me send you an email as well. :)

o

Welcome to the swap Domesticdiana! It's great to have you!

-Julia

o

I'm in. This sounds fun. I'll send an email out right away.

Michelle

o

Great! Welcome to the swap Michelle!

-Julia

o

I'd like to join - sending you email now, too.

karen

o

Good to have you, Karen! Our swappers are now:

habitat_gardener
Julia42 (me)
Grdngramma
Aquadragonfly
DomesticDiana
Naturegirl_2007
Mchill320 (I don't think I've received your email yet)
Primrose1x3

Wendey, I also received your donated seeds in the mail today - Thank you so much! They look great!

Hopefully I'll start receiving more seed packages this week. I know a number of you have emailed me to let me know you're getting ready to put them in the mail - Thanks!

o

I haven't been over here on this forum in forever!!! So glad to see that this swap went on as scheduled! Thank you, Julia!

Bonnie

o

Good deal! Do you want to join? You could still sneak in if you want!

o

sent out my email

o

Just wanted to post that I am not going to join this swap after all. Thanks for posting it, I so wanted to but alias things change.

o

I'd like to join the seed swap. I have a couple of gourd varities that I can swap have dipper and apple. Can get the seeds in the mail if it is not too late to join.
thanks, Linda

o

Sounds good Linda! Send me an email so I can give you my address!

-Julia

o

Hi Julia - sent my seeds to you today, as well as an email explaining what I did.

Thanks again,
karen

o

Thanks Karen! I got your email - all sounds good.

-Julia

o

Alright everybody! I've received a few packages so here's our updated list:

habitat_gardener - seeds received
Julia42 (me) - seeds received
Grdngramma -seeds received
DomesticDiana
Naturegirl_2007 - seeds received
Mchill320
Primrose1x3 - seeds sent
clipclop - seeds sent

I've got a really nice variety of seeds from everyone so far - looking forward to sorting them!

Thanks
Julia

o

Diana, I received your seeds yesterday. Here's our current list:

DomesticDiana - seeds received
Mchill320
Primrose1x3 - seeds sent
clipclop - seeds sent

I'm just waiting on a few more before I can get to sorting and mailing them back out. Thanks everyone!

-Julia

o

I received Primrose's seeds Saturday, so now I'm waiting on 2 packages. I know clipclop mailed hers, so the only person I'm really waiting on is Mchill320. Any news from you, Mchill?

Here's our current list:

DomesticDiana - seeds received
Mchill320
Primrose1x3 - seeds received
clipclop - seeds sent

o

i am sending my seeds out today. sorry for the delay, i had to buy stamps.

o

Just wanted to give you guys an update: I'm going to be sorting seeds today. I'm still waiting on one package - hopefully it will arrive this afternoon. I will try to send out packages today that don't depend on that last package of seeds.

I'll let you know when they go out!

-Julia

o

Hi guys! I've sorted the seeds, although I am still waiting on that one last package. Most of the mailings will be going out tomorrow though. Here's my list:

habitat_gardener - Mailing tomorrow
Julia42 (me)
Grdngramma - Mailing tomorrow
DomesticDiana - Mailing tomorrow
Naturegirl_2007 - Waiting
Mchill320 - Waiting
Primrose1x3 - Mailing tomorrow
clipclop - Mailing tomorrow

I hope everybody enjoys their seeds - I had fun picking them, and I'm hoping I've fulfilled a number of wishes for everyone. I will post when I get the last two finished and mailed.

Thanks again!
Julia

o

Julia - I received the most generous and fascinating collection of squash, pumpkin & gourd seeds from you this past afternoon - thank you.

o

Ditto! What a generous and fascinating selection! I received my seeds today. Thanks to everyone for the seeds, and thanks to Julia for hosting. I can't wait to plant them!

o

Great! I'm glad you've received your seeds and like the assortment! We should give a big "Thank You" to Wendey also, who donated seeds to the swap, and Naturegirl who sent in a lot of extras!

I mailed out the last two packages today, so here's our list:

habitat_gardener - Received
Julia42 (me)
Grdngramma - Mailed
DomesticDiana - Mailed
Naturegirl_2007 - Mailed
Mchill320 - Mailed
Primrose1x3 - Received
clipclop - Mailed

Hope everyone else receives theirs soon!

-Julia

o

I received my seeds earlier this week. Thank you so much for all the wonderful seeds! :) And the "patton" squash sounds like it will taste delicious. I can't wait to grow it! :D

o

Got my seeds, thanks so very very much, what a wonderful selection!!!! Thanks everyone.

o

Wow! I received my seeds yesterday...a day filled with many not so fun errands and chores. Sorting through the seed assortment was a great way to unwind and relax afterwards. It was fun to google a LOT of cool, new-to-me, varieties. The black seeds from shark fin squash are so unusual. At first I thought they had been spray painted! I'm not sure if they will set fruit at my latitude, but we'll see. I'll be sure to try the leaves and shoots, also. The patterns on the Nippon Island Squash are weird. It's fun just to look at the seeds, but I'll plant them next spring :). I'm looking forward to growing and sampling the hulless seeds from the Kakai pumpkin.....and growing many other varieties. Maybe more of the lawn will be disappearing ;) Thanks julia and everyone else who traded.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here