Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julia42

NEW: Incredible Edibles Pumpkins, Squashes, and Gourds Swap

julia42
11 years ago

Hi everybody! It's time for the Incredible Edibles Pumpkins, Winter Squashes, and Gourds Swap! This is the first Incredible Edibles swap of the fall season and I'm really excited about it, so I hope everybody jumps right in.

Here are the rules:

* The swap is for Pumpkins, Winter Squashes, and Gourds. The exception to the rule would be if you have a type of summer squash that can double as a hard shelled winter squash, like trombocino or tatume or some Scallop squashes. If you're not sure if your squash counts as a "Winter" squash, send me an email. Also, please no seed mixes.

* There's no sign-up deadline, but all the seeds should be received by November 3. I will try to have your packages mailed back out by November 10.

* Seed packets should be labeled as commercial, or harvested/hand collected. Because cucurbits cross so readily, only send collected seed if you took steps (bagging or isolation) to maintain seed purity. Please don't send seeds you collected from a purchased fruit, they likely will not grow true.

* I'm going to set the minimum number of seeds per bag at just 7 seeds. I know this is pretty low, but some of these large squash seeds only have 10-15 per packet when you buy them commercially. If you have a very rare and interesting squash that you'd like to share but only have a few seeds, email me and I may make an exception to the minimum.

* Please include no more than 3 bags per variety and no more than 30 bags total. Anything beyond that will be considered extras. If you have something extremely rare or in high demand, email me and I might make an exception to the 3 bag rule.

* Please put your GW name on the seed packet. This will ensure that you don't receive your own seeds back. Also include the year the seeds were purchased or collected and whether they are commercial or hand harvested.

* Seeds should be no older than 2010.

* And last but not least, please use a bubble envelope and include a return address label, and enough postage, for the return trip. It seems like bubble envelopes are requiring four first class stamps these days. I'll resuse your bubble envelope, so no need to send another.

* Please email me if you'd like to join and I'll send you my address to mail your seeds. It would be great if you could send me your seed list and wish list via email so I can plan my sorting ahead of time. If you have a preference for a category of squash, you can let me know too, and I'll do my best to sort the seeds accordingly (i.e. - if you prefer moschatas or maximas or gourds or green pumpkins, etc.)

Feel free to ask any questions you may have and let me know if you think I've forgotten anything important!

I'm looking forward to a fun swap!

-Julia

Comments (38)

• wendeyzee
    11 years ago

Hi Julia, did you get the email i sent you on Wed. for seeds I want to donate?

Wendey

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Wendey,

Thanks! I'm glad you said something because I hadn't realized your email went to my junk mail folder! Grdngramma, I found your email there too.

I'll be so happy to receive your donated seeds Wendey, and welcome to the swap, Grdgramma! I'll send you each my address.

-Julia

• aquadragonfly
    11 years ago

Hey Julia,
    I am in. I will send you an email when I check exactly what I have I can send for sure.

Can't wait to see what comes from this swap woohoo....

:) Aqua

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Welcome to the swap Aqua!

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    11 years ago

I'd like to join the swap. I'll get a list to you later this week. My seeds will include several varieties of gourds used for crafting (No, I've not done gourd crafts.) along with some pumpkins and squash.....probably some extras to share, also.

I first thought the 7 seed minimum was low. Then I opened several purchased seed packs. Wow, I was surprised at how few seeds were in many of them. Your seed count makes a lot of sense to me now!

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great! Welcome to the swap naturegirl!

Yeah, I went back and forth when I was deciding on the minimum seeds per bag, since a lot of the swaps have a 10-12 seed minimum for larger seeds. In fact, if a lot of the swappers tended toward wanting a higher minimum, I'd be willing to change it, but a lower count made sense to me...

-Julia

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So far we have four swappers:

Julia42 (me)
    Grdngramma
    Aquadragonfly
    Naturegirl_2007

Anyone else out there? The more swappers we have, the better the seed variety! We'd love to have you join!

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We have a new addition to our list of swappers! Welcome, GardenGirl37232!

Our list is now:

GardenGirl37232
    Julia42 (me)
    Grdngramma
    Aquadragonfly
    Naturegirl_2007

Anybody else out there who would like to join?

-Julia

• aquadragonfly
    11 years ago

wow, not many ppl wanting these anymore? used to be a BIG thing...I LOVE them I want them ALL!!!

I've added a pic of my monster gourd, I thought it was a pumpkin I had thrown out BUT it turned out to be a gourd!!!

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, we still have some time for more joiners. Even if we don't have too many more people join, I'm still happy to do the swap if everyone still wants too.

That said, we do have a new addition to our list:

habitat_gardener
    GardenGirl37232
    Julia42 (me)
    Grdngramma
    Aquadragonfly
    Naturegirl_2007

It would be great if we could get a couple more!

Julia

• wendeyzee
    11 years ago

Hi Julia, you might want to post a notice on the pumpkin,squash,& gourd forum. Just a thought :-D

Wendey

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Wendey - I can't believe I overlooked that one! It's done.

-Julia

• domesticdiana
    11 years ago

I am totally joining! Let me send you an email as well. :)

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Welcome to the swap Domesticdiana! It's great to have you!

-Julia

• mchill320
    11 years ago

I'm in. This sounds fun. I'll send an email out right away.

Michelle

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great! Welcome to the swap Michelle!

-Julia

• primrose1x3
    11 years ago

I'd like to join - sending you email now, too.

karen

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good to have you, Karen! Our swappers are now:

habitat_gardener
    Julia42 (me)
    Grdngramma
    Aquadragonfly
    DomesticDiana
    Naturegirl_2007
    Mchill320 (I don't think I've received your email yet)
    Primrose1x3

Wendey, I also received your donated seeds in the mail today - Thank you so much! They look great!

Hopefully I'll start receiving more seed packages this week. I know a number of you have emailed me to let me know you're getting ready to put them in the mail - Thanks!

• highalttransplant
    11 years ago

I haven't been over here on this forum in forever!!! So glad to see that this swap went on as scheduled! Thank you, Julia!

Bonnie

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good deal! Do you want to join? You could still sneak in if you want!

• mchill320
    11 years ago

sent out my email

• aquadragonfly
    11 years ago

Just wanted to post that I am not going to join this swap after all. Thanks for posting it, I so wanted to but alias things change.

• clipclop
    11 years ago

I'd like to join the seed swap. I have a couple of gourd varities that I can swap have dipper and apple. Can get the seeds in the mail if it is not too late to join.
    thanks, Linda

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sounds good Linda! Send me an email so I can give you my address!

-Julia

• primrose1x3
    11 years ago

Hi Julia - sent my seeds to you today, as well as an email explaining what I did.

Thanks again,
    karen

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Karen! I got your email - all sounds good.

-Julia

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alright everybody! I've received a few packages so here's our updated list:

habitat_gardener - seeds received
    Julia42 (me) - seeds received
    Grdngramma -seeds received
    DomesticDiana
    Naturegirl_2007 - seeds received
    Mchill320
    Primrose1x3 - seeds sent
    clipclop - seeds sent

I've got a really nice variety of seeds from everyone so far - looking forward to sorting them!

Thanks
    Julia

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Diana, I received your seeds yesterday. Here's our current list:

DomesticDiana - seeds received
    Mchill320
    Primrose1x3 - seeds sent
    clipclop - seeds sent

I'm just waiting on a few more before I can get to sorting and mailing them back out. Thanks everyone!

-Julia

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I received Primrose's seeds Saturday, so now I'm waiting on 2 packages. I know clipclop mailed hers, so the only person I'm really waiting on is Mchill320. Any news from you, Mchill?

Here's our current list:

DomesticDiana - seeds received
    Mchill320
    Primrose1x3 - seeds received
    clipclop - seeds sent

• mchill320
    11 years ago

i am sending my seeds out today. sorry for the delay, i had to buy stamps.

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just wanted to give you guys an update: I'm going to be sorting seeds today. I'm still waiting on one package - hopefully it will arrive this afternoon. I will try to send out packages today that don't depend on that last package of seeds.

I'll let you know when they go out!

-Julia

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi guys! I've sorted the seeds, although I am still waiting on that one last package. Most of the mailings will be going out tomorrow though. Here's my list:

habitat_gardener - Mailing tomorrow
    Julia42 (me)
    Grdngramma - Mailing tomorrow
    DomesticDiana - Mailing tomorrow
    Naturegirl_2007 - Waiting
    Mchill320 - Waiting
    Primrose1x3 - Mailing tomorrow
    clipclop - Mailing tomorrow

I hope everybody enjoys their seeds - I had fun picking them, and I'm hoping I've fulfilled a number of wishes for everyone. I will post when I get the last two finished and mailed.

Thanks again!
    Julia

• primrose1x3
    11 years ago

Julia - I received the most generous and fascinating collection of squash, pumpkin & gourd seeds from you this past afternoon - thank you.

• habitat_gardener
    11 years ago

Ditto! What a generous and fascinating selection! I received my seeds today. Thanks to everyone for the seeds, and thanks to Julia for hosting. I can't wait to plant them!

• julia42
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great! I'm glad you've received your seeds and like the assortment! We should give a big "Thank You" to Wendey also, who donated seeds to the swap, and Naturegirl who sent in a lot of extras!

I mailed out the last two packages today, so here's our list:

habitat_gardener - Received
    Julia42 (me)
    Grdngramma - Mailed
    DomesticDiana - Mailed
    Naturegirl_2007 - Mailed
    Mchill320 - Mailed
    Primrose1x3 - Received
    clipclop - Mailed

Hope everyone else receives theirs soon!

-Julia

• domesticdiana
    11 years ago

I received my seeds earlier this week. Thank you so much for all the wonderful seeds! :) And the "patton" squash sounds like it will taste delicious. I can't wait to grow it! :D

• grdngramma
    11 years ago

Got my seeds, thanks so very very much, what a wonderful selection!!!! Thanks everyone.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    11 years ago

Wow! I received my seeds yesterday...a day filled with many not so fun errands and chores. Sorting through the seed assortment was a great way to unwind and relax afterwards. It was fun to google a LOT of cool, new-to-me, varieties. The black seeds from shark fin squash are so unusual. At first I thought they had been spray painted! I'm not sure if they will set fruit at my latitude, but we'll see. I'll be sure to try the leaves and shoots, also. The patterns on the Nippon Island Squash are weird. It's fun just to look at the seeds, but I'll plant them next spring :). I'm looking forward to growing and sampling the hulless seeds from the Kakai pumpkin.....and growing many other varieties. Maybe more of the lawn will be disappearing ;) Thanks julia and everyone else who traded.