Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummingbirddaisy

November - Hortiholics Anon 'Bountiful Harvest'

hummingbirddaisy
17 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving Ladies. I hope this month brings lots of fond memories, and makes new fond memories.

I am thankful this year for having been blessed with each of your friendship. God has blessed me with 10 angels.

I am also thankful that my family is healthy, we have a home, and that my DH Rick is still here with us.

So many blessings this year. Thank you all for being apart of them.

I will start a seperate thread for the seed box.

Can't wait to hear about all of the wonderful boxes that will be sent and received this month!

Hugs,

Tina

Comments (122)

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

mariann, i have been getting seed catalogues left and right. i'm drooling over some of the stuff in thompson and morgan. i promise myself though i am going to use up the seeds i already have before i get more. they are gorgeous to browse though, aren't they? i haven't participated in any seed robins, but did sign up for yours since it's for veggies and herbs. i have more flower seeds than one person needs.

i've been prepping everything for thursday. also cleaning and my vacuum is on the fritz. i'm considering one of those dyson's or one like that, but need to do some research. for now, believe it or not, i'm on my hands and knees using a hard brush against the carpet to pick up dog hair and then the carpet sweeper, so tedious. in my next life, i am having someone clean for me no matter how much he pisses and moans LOL

deb, sounds like you are going to have a great sunflower garden come next season. i have it on good authority that the jelly is excellent when you put some over cream cheese and serve it with crackers. makes a great appetizer. i saw that commerical for the scrubbing bubble thing - looks neat. nice to no it works.

my mom makes that green bean casserole, it's pretty good. my son loves it.

i already have my table set and the layout of all the serving dishes. my dining room table becomes a magnet for anything that comes in the door. it's so pathetic. this way, i can't crap it up in the next few days. (of course there's another cover over all the dishes to avoid any dust, etc.)

tina, pictures N O W!!!! stop waiting for rick, go visit the in-laws and download those pictures. i am especially interested in seeing your renovations.

hope everyone is well.
    maryanne

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Ok, I'm starting to get the feeling the package I sent is on the Island of Misfit Toys. That stinks because I doubt I'll be able to replace it with the same things :(

Maryanne, I have a Dyson. Got it for Valentine's day - LOL. I love it but I think I would really love the DC14 Animal. Mine is the DC07 Animal.

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

I have been shopping, baking, cooking, filling sasbe's and trading and now I'm going to take a break for a few minutes! Traditionally, in November we pause to offer thanks for the good fortune we have experienced during the year. I would like to take this opportunity to express a sincere THANK YOU to all my friends here on GW for their friendship and support. My wish for all of you is for a ...Bountyful harvest- rich in rewards.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!

Deanie

• cedarnest
    17 years ago

Deanie,That is a Beautiful Sentiment!! : ) I feel the same way.You ladies friendships mean the world to me and I feel blessed to have you all in my life!! Hope you all have an extremely Blessed Thanksgiving!!

Love You All!!
    Nancy

• galium
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I wanted to take a moment and wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.
    Hugs,
    Mariann

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

wishing everyone a wonderful thanksgiving. deanie...well said and thank you for that sentiment :)

julie. how did you feel about getting an appliance on valentine's day? i remember wanting (and getting) a washer and dryer as opposed to wasting the money on an engagement ring. i did get two wedding rings though. included in that deal was one reak lousy husband. my neice has a dyson - a purple one. she's always crying the blues about money, but yet spent $500.00 on a vacuum. i borrowed it once, it was a lot of attachments. is yours like that? i will have to look into them or maybe go post on the appliance forum and get everyone's opinions there. what do you like/dislike about it? what would you change? i don't mind spending the money if in fact it is worth it and will last and will pick up dog hair without getting clogged all the time.

my house smells so great. i can't wait to eat tomorrow!

have a great thanksgiving.
    maryanne

• efrosty1
    17 years ago

hello, lady's... happy thanksgiving
    sorry i have not posted sooner. i was on a the verge of another relapse. but i think we have dodge another bullet.i have not shipped my box yet but i promise i will this weekend.. tina can yo please resend my pal info just in case it got lost in all my unread emails.. i don't think i will ever get caught up..lol

i hope everyone has a wonderful turkey day and i am so thankful for all of you and your friendship. you are all in my prayers.. erica

• cedarnest
    17 years ago

Hope you all had a Nice Thanksgiving.

Is anyone else hitting the early sales tomorrow or today...depending on when you are reading this? My sis talked me into going with her.Haven't braved it in years.It should be interesting.I probably have no idea what I am in for huh? Wish me luck! LOL I will be lucky to make it thru the first hour!
    Hugs,Nancy

• galium
    17 years ago

We had a great Thanksgiving. Talked with my brother and 2 sisters on the phone.
    Maryanne I'm glad you signed up for my RR. I was surprised to get as many responses as I did. As far as the Thompson and Morgan seed catalog is concerned I have a love hate relationship with it. Love the variety of seeds they offer but hate the prices.
    Nancy, I shopped at Wal Mart on Black Friday several years ago. Haven't been out in the wee hours since (I went at 6:00am just to see what it was like).
    Hope everyone had a wonderful Turkey Day (that's what my sister calls it). She's the one with the Dairy Farm.
    Hugs,

• kayemell
    17 years ago

Hi Girls, and a very happy post-Thanksgiving to you all. Are we all happy and fat after yesterday? Even though my family gets the "Dysfunctional Family Award of 2006" we still managed to have a very nice time yesterday, although I almost murdered my little sister. Get this -- she was clearing the first course, which was my (exceptionally fabulous) salad that I slaved over. There were about 4 untouched salads on the table, for example, an extra place setting because we can't count, a few people who don't eat salad, MINE, because I was busy serving and didn't get a chance to sit down and eat yet.) Instead of simply bringing the un-touched un-eaten, un-slobbered-on salads into the kitchen SHE THREW THEM DOWN THE DISPOSALL!!!!!!!!!!!

Huh?? Wha?? Am I crazy to think she's crazy? That was delicious -- not to mention expensive -- mesclun, pomegranate seeds, feta cheese and apple chip salad! She thought I was crazy to want to save it. I am the type of person who always brings doggy bags home from restaurants. Waste not! But that was just a little blip on an otherwise lovely, if not frenetic, evening.

Anyone else have any incidents?

Happy Friday, all!

OXOXOX
    Kristen

PS -- Erica -- please stay well! We all worry about you and love you! Lots of prayers for good health coming your way.

PPS -- No, no, no, no, no I did not even think about venturing out to shop today (Black Friday). The stores in Pittsburgh are opening earlier and earlier. One local outlet mall opened at midnight. No, I am not kidding.

• micke
    17 years ago

Okay, Kaymell. step away from the recipe and no one will be hurt (could you please give the recipe to me?) I cooked Thanksgiving dinner at my moms for mom, dad and my 2 boys (hubby had to work til 4) then had to drive a hour home to drive 30 minutes to the in-laws to eat reheated dinner there *sigh* so tired, couldn't even see straight. my 5 year old rode one of my moms ponies and it was just like a rodeo! he bucked as hard as his tiny legs could! Coleton went flying (not very far, he was fine) he laughed it off after he got over the surprise of being on his bottom on the ground. I rode one of her Tennesse Walkers, It was a blast. haven't had time to actually get on one of the horses in a while! Of course I couldn't ride as long as I would of liked, had to get the turkey out of the oven. she actually has a Quarter horse stud that will stand at the gate and dance (head and body swaying back and forth) until you feed him, he is so funny, she has him in with colts, you can't even tell he is a stallion, any other stallions would of had those colts dead. okay enough horse talk, sure I am boring you all...

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi angels -

I have soooooooooooooo much to say, but I only have a second to post, so I will try and catch up here real soon!

This is who I have for sending/receiving:

Angels who have received so far:
    Deb
    Mariann
    Michelle
    Nancy
    Deanie
    Sue
    Me

Boxes that were sent (possiby MIA)
    Sue
    Julie
    Am still awaiting an asnswer from your pal Sue

Angels who have not received:
    Julie
    Maryanne
    Kristen Pal has contacted, she is behind
    Erica ?????

Julie - Did you get my e-mail about your pal running a bit behind?

Sounds like you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving (except poor Michelles tired hubby....so much to do and never enough time to do it all)

We ended up at the in-laws. It was nice.

Love you all -

Tina

Oh, I will be sending the seed box out next Wednesday if nothing don't happen!

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Hi Tina,

Yes, I got your email and it's no rush anyway :)
    I am going to be working on a makeup box but it may take my just a little longer because this is such a busy time of year. Stupid USPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhooo, I am thinking I should make it a more Christmasy box since Thanksgiving is over, LOL. I was planning on sitting out the December swap anyway just because I knew I would be swamped with other things to do but this way I will send out the make-up box and my pal will end up with 2 for December.

• galium
    17 years ago

Has anyone used FedEx or UPS???
    Mariann

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

hi everyone. hope you all had a great thanksgiving. my meal was incredible. most of my company was okay. i made several desserts and totally forgot to take one out of the refrig until later in the night. at least everyone went home with it. it was a new one for me, an experiment, a pumpkin roll filled with a creamy mousse. it was excellent, if i do say so myself.

erica, i'm glad you are feeling better. sending good thoughts and saying a special prayer for continued good health.

kristen, your family is dysfunctional? we all think we take the award for it. i guess it just runs in everyone's family. as for your salad, i would have been pissed. i also never understand why people load up their plates and waste so much. take a little, come back for more. one of my nieces is notorious for filling up a large glass of whatever, taking a sip and she's done. now, she's only allowed to have a little kid cup and she knows it. i'm really not big on waste, it is probably one of my biggest pet peeves. i'm not anal about it, but i just can't deal with the waste.

mariann, i've used both fed ex and ups in the past, but never for garden swap boxes. i've never really had any problems and once or twice i've priced out/compared them against the mail, but it was all comparable, so i used the post office, since it was more convenient anyway. are you thinking of switching over? is yours one of the lost boxes? that certainly stinks. i've had that happen to me once even with confirmation. looking forward to your swap. i only got started with flowers a few years back, i'm a vegetable gardener deep down.

wow, sue and julie, both of you have a missing box? that absolutely stinks.

tina, where the @^ are the pictures? let's go girlie, you are slacking. i'll forgive you though, because tina, you sweetheart you, i got your email. brought a tear to my eye. thank you. i look forward to it.

i'm making a scrapbook for my niece for christmas. i took her on vacation this year as a graduation present. i've never sracpbooked before, but so far, so good. it's quite time consuming. wondering if it goes any quicker when you really know what you are doing. i am not doing all that journaling, rather, tagging and labeling it all from the places we went and things we did and then little facts about them. it's still a lot of work. i am using a the half-size type book. it seemed like enough room when i started. do any of you scrapbook?

i broke a tooth and my dentist is on vacation until mid-december. i don't care much for his fill-in, so i extracted most of it myself. got almost all of it. amazing what a pair of tweezers will do in a pinch. OUCH!

i ate a hot dog today. i can't tell you the ast time i ate one of them. almost wish i hadn't.

so deb, how did your green bean casserole come out? we had that too. my mother makes it i guess because it's some thanksgiving thing and my kid likes it. but maybe next year, i won't invite him and we won't have to have it.

time for tea,
    be well all,
    maryanne

• efrosty1
    17 years ago

hey lady's, i hope everyone had a great weekend. mine has been busy. boy am i tired, i'm just getting back on my feet again and this weekend plum worn me out. i have not shipped yet but i will. first thing tomorrow, i hope..
    i did receive my package thank you pal. the elephant was my favorite and it did make me feel better. it's so pretty. i added flowers to my watering can and it's sitting in the window now.. have a great week everyone. erica

• cedarnest
    17 years ago

Sounds like everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.Barring dysfunctional relatives that is.Ohhhh I can relate to that too!Oh I would have flipped my lid if that would have happened to my salad Kristen.

Maryanne,I have a niece who does that with cans of pop.She will open one take a few sips let it sit and 15 minutes later she has another new can.That really steams me!Oh My Maryanne,I don't know what i would do if I broke a tooth and my dentist was gone.I don't know if I would be brave enough to do what you did.Notice I even have a hard time typing about it?Hurts just thinking about it.I am such a wuss!! Oh the scrapbook for your neice sounds like a great idea.I have never actually made a real scrapbook...just have 2 started for each of my kids from their school years.Never did finish them.Now that they are both nearly 30 maybe i better get busy huh?

Mariann,I have never used fed ex or ups for swap boxes either.Not yet that is.Knock on wood but I have never had a problem..(YET) with usps losing any.Oh I hope I will never regret saying that.I think if that were to happen to me even once I would go ups or fed ex then for sure.I was so happy to hear my pal got her box.I always get nervous when I hear boxes haven't arrived.I immediately doublecheck to make sure mine made it ok.Hope anyone who still hasn't received theirs gets them soon.Thats a bummer for sure.

Oh I did survive shopping Black Friday.Honestly I think if anyone but my sister would have asked me I would have told them to go fly a kite but I couldn't say no to her.It wasn't all that bad...well actually it probably was pretty close to your broken tooth incident Maryanne : (

Well I think I have written way to much to bore you all with already.LOL Better get off here and go check on the other forums before bed.

Hope everyone has a Great Week!
    Hugs,Nancy

• galium
    17 years ago

I was just inquiring about other methods of postage. I haven't lost a box. Although have had a few problems with USPS. An envelope of seeds that I sent for a swap took 3 weeks to arrive. Luckily I had included a Tracking #. It kept saying it was missent 4 times. I also sent seeds to someone for postage and it took 2 months to arrive. What's that about. I've also had boxes damaged etc.
    Maryanne-I can't believe you actually used tweezers to pull out pieces of tooth. I'm such a coward, especially when it comes to teeth. My dentist used to say he bought Novocaine by the barrel whenever I made an appointment. I moan so much when he's drilling, he says it sounds like we are doing more than just teeth. Dentist=Fear Factor

Ladies I don't want to get into dysfunctional... I think the word was first used to describe my family.
    Tina, I would have been so upset over that salad. Several years ago my uncle was visiting. I wanted to make chicken salad sandwiches for lunch. The left over chicken was gone and I couldn't understand where it went. Apparently my uncle raided my refrigerator and fed it to his dog.
    I went out in the evening on Black Friday. A craft store I frequent was offering 40% your entire purchase. Not sale items though. Took the opportunity to stock up on my favorite sewing items.
    Hugs,
    Mariann

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Mariann,
    that must have been Joann's. They're always having 40% off sales but then almost everything's on sale so you can't use it, grrr!

This thread is getting really funny, Maryanne you were cracking me up. You might want to watch that tooth for signs of infection though. Yikes!!!!

I forgot about the dyson.

Pros:
    Onboard attachments
    Hose is built into the handle, just realease it and you're good to go, I love this
    Hose is long enough to reach the top of the stairs
    Has rotating brush attachment good for stairs
    Awesome suction, canister is full everytime I use it even if it's only been one day
    Super easy to dump cannister
    Lifetime hepa filter, just wash it out
    Automatic carpet height adjustment

Cons:
    Have to wait for filter to dry after you wash it so timing is key
    PRICE
    Dog fur (thick malamute fur) sometimes gets clogged on the bare floor setting so I just use the carpet setting at all times
    It DOES lose suction. Not entirely but it picks up not as well which usually means you gotta rinse out the filter.
    Did I mention the PRICE??

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

I'm a vacuum nut, so am enjoying the conversation. ;)
    I have 2 Roomba's right now (and aren't very happy with them). I have the roomba RED, plus the Roomba SILVER Scheduler (goes off when you want it to, plus recharges itself). The replacement batteries run $70 each. And last three months at the most (when used everyday). A constant investment. I thought that a rechargeable battery would last longer than that. So, I'm disappointed. They do clean well, but the Boston brothers don't really shed much. The empty cup is small, so you have to check it every two rooms.
    Right now I have a Eureka bagless-washable filter, 1 yr. Hepa filter (around $100) and it's nice. It has a dusting attachment that slips right in the machine and cleans itself with the flip of a switch. The vacuum I had before that was a Fantom "Thunder" I loved it, cost around $350, but not much difference (except the price) from the Eureka. Both have containers you have to empty and clean, and are messy to dump/clean.

I've been thinking about a Oreck XL for my next vaccum. I'm tired of the dust flying everywhere when emptying the cannister. I want a clean bag to toss, so I don't have to hold my breath while dumping the vaccum mess.

The Greenbean casserole was soooo yummy! Thanks Tina for the recipe, My Mom loved it.

Deb

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Oh yea, I forgot, no dust blowing out while you vacuum. That's why I got a new one in the first place. I had a hoover whirlwind before, appropriately named for the duststorm it spits out any time you bump something!

I'm a total vacuum fanatic, lol. Anytime I see a new one I want it. I got a cordless electrolux free from Sharper Image with my discover card points once (regularly $100). I loved it for a month - cordless, how cool is that and it had a little built in dustbuster you could take out. But after that month it stopped picking up. Maybe I could fix it but I don't know how...

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Angels -

Kristen - I would have flipped over the whole salad fiasco.
    My motto: Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
    Waste not want not. My kids don't like that much, but hey, money doesn't grow in the gardens ya know.

Maryanne - I am sincerely sorry for being such a slacker. Since it's been so long, we took more pictures last night. They are growing a mile a minute. They went trhu the growth spirt, and I thoughtt hey were never going to stop eating. LoL
    They are such fat happy little things. I sure hate the thought of getting rid of them. Yes, yes, I know, no-one in their right mind would keep 7 puppies on top of two other dogs. IF only I had a farm, smiles!

Vacuums huh! I am a nut when it comes to them as well. Strange isn't it. You know what I asked for one year for Valentines day, a new stove. I got it! LoL.
    This year I got a new dishwasher, LoL.
    Yea sure, diamonds last forever, but that's because all they do is sit around and look pretty!

Mariann - I have used UPS in the past. Thay are a bit more expensive, but are very timely.
    I have two seed packs out there right now that have been in circulation for almost a month. Had one gla get pretty upset with me over this. I am just going to go ahead and resend a package of seeds. When she receives both of them, she'll see I wasn't lying......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Erica - Thanks for posting that you received! We understand your lateness. Being sick is not something one can control, and that in itself caused enough stress. So, we know :-)

Deb - Glad the greenbeans went over well :-). It is good isn't it, LoL. I am loving the leftovers. I think that is my favorite part of the meal, LoL.

Julie - You will have a new partner for December. Don't feel bad, I did the same thing twice, and I am the hostess, Ha!

Nancy - I went out shopping on Black Friday as well. It really wasn't all that bad. We usually go every year. If I seen a crowd like they show on the news, I'd just leave. No sale is worth getting trampled over.

We ended up at the in-laws for Thanksgivng. I realized that my mother in-law just lost her mom this year, and her and FIL would be the only ones there. I would have felt very selfish and disrespectful not going. After all, the only reason why we was going to stay home, just us, this year, was because I wanted to just spend a quiet day remembering my mom and dad. So, Sunday night, we had our own little Thanksgiving. I cooked a nice turley up, homemade cornbread stuffing, homemade baked beans, sweet potatoes, greenbeans, corn, homemade bread, several pies (strawberry rhubarb, pumpkin and pecan), mashed potatoes, giblit gravy, fudge (yummy), chocolate chip cookies, blah, blah, blah, LoL. Caleb and I spent the entire day in the kitchen. It was so nice. I made all the dishes my mom use to make. After we were done eating, we started pulling out all the Christmas decorations. We got on tree up and was pooped. So we are finishing (continuing:-)) that tonight.
    I just dread taking all that down in January.

Can't wait to find out who my partner is for this month. I am so happy this year...really enjoying the Christmas spirit. Last year, the only reason why we even drug out one tree, was for the kids. It feels good to be back in the swing of things.

Sending hugs to all my Angels -
    Tina

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am not saying any of this to hurt anyones feelings, so please do not take it that way. My reasoning for posting this is because I am tired of having all the blame put on me when something goes wrong. There are 11 of us in this group, not just myself!

Earthly - Julie was to send to you for November. Her box is the one that went MIA. I believe with all my heart, that she sent that box. I have every reason to know this. She is preparing a new box as we speak.

Julie - If you could just send out what you have for the box, I would greatly appreciate it very much.

Erica - Please! get your box to Kristen out ASAP. I know you have been ill, so no hard feelings!

Julie - I was your partner for November. Your box is on its way. Please forgive me for being so behind with it. I was waitng for something to come in the mail, and it hasn't shown up yet, so I just sent the box out. I will ship your other item at a later date (when it arrives).

Also, if you can't play for a month, please e-mail me and let me know. OR!!! If you decide that you have been slighted, e-mail me! Don't wait until I have paired everyone up, sent out info and posted a new thread before informing me.

This robin is currently NOT one of those that you can pick and choose when and if you want to play. If you sign up, you are expected to play.

I hope I have got everything straightened out as far as partners go for this month. I received 2 e-mails AFTER I sent out info, etc. So I HOPE everyone knows who they are sending to. I know it gets confusing when you receive several e-mails with "info" on it.

If you can't send out a box as planned, please just let me know. I can either replace your box, or ask one of my other girls to help with it.

Now, if you received an e-mail with your pal's info, and your pal happened to be Julie or Maryanne, please e-mail me so we can make sure that you have the correct partner.

Good night,
    Tina

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

tina, i did send you an email but not one time putting blame on you for anything. i stated that i wasn't comfortable continuing to play and sending boxes if i wasn't going to receive. it just didn't seem fair that if in fact the non-sender is actually receiving and not sending. now i am told that the box that my partner sent went missing. this is the first time i emailed you about this swap and it was in response to you assigning a new partner. i would have hoped the november swap would have been completed before the december swap was started. that would make more sense. i see now november is not concluded as others have not sent out. i don't know who blamed you for anything, but it wasn't me.

i also don't understand your last paragraph. does that mean you have removed me for december? i haven't gotten a response to my email.

maryanne

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Maryanne -

I responded to your e-mail both times. I will resend.
    And the answer to your question in regards to removing you from this months swap is, no, not until I hear the final answer from you. I can't very well sign you in with a partner however, if you don't plan to send, right! IN NO WAY AM I SAYNG THAT MARYANNE WOULD EVER, EVER PURPOSLY RECEIVE AND NOT SEND. It is so darm hard to explain, and set emotions on a computer...........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    I would HATE to lose you in this RR, in anything actually!
    I stated in my last e-mail that I will send you a replacement box for Julie, and Julie can just send your box on to me when she can.

I want to make it clear that I am not blaming earthly for ANYTHING. And I do understand her point of view.
    If I came across this way, it wasn't intentional!

We have such a wonderful group here. I don't want hard/hurt feelings between any of us.

I did receive a few e-mails that put in a bind, and pointed fingers. That is my reasoning for the above post.

I am not upset with anyone! I love you all. Just please take my position into consideration.

This thread will not be closed until all boxes are received.
    Things have gone so smoothly with the exception of a couple of months back, and we don't want to revisit that.

Julie has informed me that she will not be able to play for December. I hope she stops in to say hi and chit chat with us!

Tina

earthly, resending e-mail right now.

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Tina,

You don't have to send Maryanne a box for me. I have enough stuff to send now. I was just trying to collect more and make it a little more special because the MIA box was a darn good one if I do say so myself. Even if it ever arrives, there was so much breakable stuff in there that it's probably toast! I didn't think Maryanne would mind if the box was late because I actually thought she had already figured out that I was the one who sent to her, I thought everyone else except me received and I knew I didn't send the lost box to myself, LOL does that make sense???

Anyway, sorry, Maryanne that you thought you had been forgotten but I will send tomorrow (with DC!).

Tina,
    I know this is not a play when you want to kind of swap. I hope you understand my reasons for needing to skip December.

Love to all!

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

julie, so there are no ill feelings, i had no idea who my partner was. it seems several people hadnt sent/received, so there was no way for me to know it was you, especially if there was no communication in that regard. this months swap seemed to be full of missing/not sent. since i just had no communication on the status, i felt uncomfortable staying in for future swaps. (notice my post above states "now i am told ..." ) also, never any communication that a make-up or late box would be sent until i wanted to pass for december.

i took a stand for myself. it wasn't fair for me to send and not receive. if i do say so myself, i send great boxes packed to capacity and spend a great deal on postage. i don't swap to get it all back, I do it for the fun. if i had known what was happening, i certainly would have understood. communication is the key to any swap. also, you can't start a new month's swap if you haven't completed the current one. why go on expecting the same people to send/receive a whole new month when they haven't obliged the current month? looks to me that this group isn't all that big, yet the whole month has passed and players have not fulfilled their obligation. it's like a negative budget, you keep spending and you will never get in the black.

it's not necessary to send anything else if you said you already did. it's been a month and nothing has shown up. i'll mark it up as a loss in my checks and balances column.

and tina, based on your statement above. i would never accept and not receive. that's not in my character and never will be. and it's a rare, rare occasion that i cut it close to the send by date and i have never not fulfilled my obligations, nor would i ever send a box in the month following a swap month. as an example...what good would a 4th of july box do in august? inflection of type or not, i don't appreciate that statement. i was clear about my intentions. my email stated that i don't feel comfortable staying in a swap where other sender's obligations are not met. your response was the first time to tell me julie was my partner and her box was MIA. my box for november was sent to debby within the time frame. october's box, which i sent to mariann, was also sent timely.

maryanne

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

i sent to nancy in october, not mariann. sorry for that.

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK! I OBVIOUSLY messed up big time somewhere along the line here.

Maryanne - In NO WAY did I mean to sound like you would ever receive and not send. I DID NOT MEAN THAT, AT ALL!
    I am truly sorry if that is the way it came across.
    You are one of the BEST traders on GW. You send WONDERFUL boxes. You are ALWAYS on time. You are very giving and generous. I, in no way, meant anything! negative about you.
    I hope you get my e-mails.

I want to make one thing clear. Only 1 box went missing. I have n o doubts that it was indeed sent. The usps isn't as trustworthy as it once was. I've even had a box with DC end up MIA. This was Julies box.

Kristen hasn't received her box as of yet due to her partner being ill and hospitalized. Erica is good for her box. She always has been. I have been in several swap with her.

Julie's box is on its way. DC# 0306 0320 0000 8715 7743
    I was waitng on something special that was ordered for her before sending her box out. It hasn't shown up yet, so yesterday, I went ahead and sent her box out. I had contacted her to let her know that her partner was running behind.

Maryanne - I little package is on its way to you as well.
    DC# 0306 0320 0000 8715 7699

I made the mistake of not contacting MAryanne and letting her know that Julie was her partner, and that her box went missing. I guess since I trust you all so much, I didn't think to do so. Part of the fun is not knowing who your partner is, and I knew Julie would send another box, so I didn;t want to spoil the fun. Well, instead, I spoiled more than just the fun. I am truly sorry for that.

I never meant to imply anything NEGATIVE about ANYONE of you.
    I hope you can forgive me????

Tina

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Tina,
    There really isn't anything to forgive you for! It's a hard job coordinating a monthly swap! Keeping track of lost/missing packages, who's dropping out, who's sick, and who's NOT sending. It's also very hard sorting messes, trying to be nice and yet being firm. Thanks for keeping this swap going, and taking the time to make it fun!

Your doing a really good job!

Maryanne,
    Your package was really special, every item coordinated to what I collect. Your always so prompt with sending any package, for every swap. I always enjoy your company in any swap!

Hugs to both of you!

Deb

• micke
    17 years ago

I will tell you all the story of my box that I sent to my pal this month, was in a hurry to send it out before it got cold as I had got a bunch of different succulents and some cactus for my pal, it arrived and everything was trashed, except for one cactus... hmm figured out a little too late succulents probuably don't fare too well when being tossed around in the same box with cactus!
    the holidays are a hard time with the usps, they have so many boxes to deal with and I actually caught the lady I usually deal with at the post office tossing a package into a bin with nary a care, made me think how lucky I have actually been with all my plant trading that nothing else has been destroyed before arrival.
    did I mention the 6 inches of sleet we got today before it finally turned to humongous flakes of snow? My huge eastern white pine looks aweful! branches 5 feet off the ground are now touching the ground, and the branches sound like bowling balls running down the side of the house when they rub against it, my poor doggies don't know what to do, gotta make a run outside see if they might actually go potty this time, their bladders have got to be uncomfortable!
    michelle

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

I received my box from Tina today, wow that was fast!

I got a sweet pea plant that displays a message when it grows (kids are excited for that!)
    Lavender balt salts - smell so good
    a cotton scented take along candle in a tin, perfect for vacation
    a cute basket with gardener's soaps and lotions and a pumice stone/scrubby brush - my dry hands need this

Thank you so much Tina

• efrosty1
    17 years ago

nov went out yesterday.03052710000099550833
    so sorry it took so long.. i shipped out dec box too.

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Maryanne,

I mailed the box today. DC# 0103 8555 7499 4614 0737. Hope it gets there safe and sound (and soon!)

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

thanks julie, i appreciate it. wasn't necessary, but very thoughtful of you. i'll keep my eye out for it and let you know when it arrives.

maryanne

• efrosty1
    17 years ago

Label/Receipt Number: 0305 2710 0000 9955 0833

Your item was delivered at 11:50 AM on December 4, 2006 in PITTSBURGH, PA 15237.

• galium
    17 years ago

Has everyone received??? I'd like to know who sent me that wonderful box of gifts.
    Mariann

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

I'm starting to get annoyed that the tracking isn't updated yet. 3 days or less my butt!!!!!!!!!

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

julie, i'll let you know as soon as it arrives.

my box to deb for november's swap took just about a week, even though i paid for the 2 - 3 day priority mail. normally until the number is scanned again by the next postal center, nothing is updated in the system.

as soon as it gets here, i'll post.

maryanne

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Thanks Maryanne. The stupid thing is that you are only 1 state away.

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

julie, i spoke to my mailman, gave him the tracking number and when he came back today, said that there is no record of anything yet. he did suggest that you go back to your post office and file (i forget the form number) as it appears it has not yet shipped from your end.

i guess you really hate the idea that i was your partner for november, huh? so sorry it hasn't worked out.

if anything does show up, i promise i'll send smoke signals over your house so you know ASAP.

maryanne

• micke
    17 years ago

Nobody hates the idea maryanne, we have a great group of girls here, I would love to have anyone of you all as partners, it is the mail people. we should all riot lol!!!!
    this month was just not the greatest for mail service, I love my mail lady, and she has enlightened me to some of the ways of mail service, on our end they have been very shorthanded here lately. December will be perfect, has to be, cause I said!!
    HUGS TO ALL AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!
    michelle

• kayemell
    17 years ago

Hi Girls -- I echo Michelle's sentiment about the USPS -- they STINK at this time of year. To be fair, the poor people are totally inundated, but that does not excuse sloppy, indifferent work. My cousin is a postmaster, and has told me stories that would curdle milk. The big problem is that the USPS hires temporary employees at Christmas and many of these people don't give a rat's patootie about whether they do a good job or not. My cuz told me a story about these two temps who were literally HURLING boxes through the air. Boxes that were no doubt marked fragile. And the sickening part is that the onus is put on the sender to pack the item well. Well, in my opinion, it doesn't matter how well you pack a box, it's not going to stand up to gorillas hurling it around. These uncaring, selfish people also are not careful about sorting packages correctly, which is why so many boxes (like poor Julie's) go missing. It is a disgrace.

But -- if you will all forgive me if I sound preachy (I do not mean to be) -- you can't control what happens to you but you can control how you react to it. So lets all embark on our December partner swap with warm thoughts of friendship. If a box gets lost or delayed we will treat it as a flaw in the postal system, or a pause due to illness or personal circumstances, we will know in our hearts that things will be made right. We are so fortunate to have each other! If you think about it -- we are tremendously blessed. We are a group of people who (to the best of my knowledge) have not met each other, but are sharing joy and generosity and TRUST each month in our swap. My job takes me to many countries, and I have have personally experienced the sadness of poverty and the ugliness of hatred, which for most part does not exist here in the U.S. The trust and openness that we Hortiholics bring to each other is nothing short of miraculous.

So here's to December! Speaking of which, I mistakenly posted my thanks to Erica on the December thread. After the fact, I realized that Erica was my November pal. Thank you so very very much, Erica, for the beautiful hand-crafted Soy Candles, potpourri and fun spinner you put into my box. It is evident you put a lot of love into everything. Hugs to you, and to all.

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

julie, this message is to you.

what i was saying to you is not that you hated trading or anything to that fact, but that two boxes to the same person are no where to be found...at least at this juncture.

it's just a terrible shame that you took the time and expense not once, but twice, to mail a package that got lost in oblivion. never in my mind did i attempt to convey that you hated trading or hated trading with me.

peace,
    maryanne

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

Hey, no sweat Maryanne!!
    LOL

I just cannot believe that they could lose 2 of my boxes in a row to the same person. What are the odds???? I am going to the post office tomorrow to see if they can give me any info but I will not hold my breath. It is just unbelievable to me. How could my luck be this bad? Or maybe it's Maryanne's luck, hmmm....

Kristen, what do you do for a living? Where do you travel? My curiosity is majorly peaked.

Well, goodnight. I just wasted way too much time watching the 2nd Pirates of the Caribbean only to find out it's to be continued. Talk about bad luck. By the time the 3rd one comes out I will have completely forgotten what happened in this one!

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

julie, guess what?????????????the december 4th mailed package is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i haven't opened it yet, we are outside putting up decorations, but i wanted to run in real quick and let you know. i'll come back later with an update.

maryanne

• tastefullyjulie
    17 years ago

YEAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I went to the post office this morning and they were clueless so that is very good news!!

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

julie, thank you ever so much for this wonderful box. i'm sure the first one was just as great and maybe one of these days it will show up. my girlfriend got a postcard i sent her from italy almost a year later -- there's always hope :)

i opened the chocolate chip cookies first. i had been decorating the outside and they were the perfect snack when i came inside. of course i had to go get an ice cold glass of milk to go with them. i saved a few to have with my tea later tonight.

i love the holiday mint foot cream and scrub, i'm a freak about my feet LOL; a nice sized bottle of blueberry honey (YUMMMMM); a 16 month hanging floral calendar that is just the right size for my computer desk; a miniature lighthouse windchime; a deliciously scented cinammon jar candle that burns as i type; a massive bag of plant labels; the december issue of BH&G; a most gorgeous pumkin decoration that will grace my thanksgiving holiday for many, many years to come and the sweetest little gardening girl planter/candle holder (holding a wisteria votive) statue. as if this wasn't enough, there was an envelope jammed packed with seeds.

julie, this box was over the top. i feel awful that you had to send a second time, but on the same note, it is such a treat to receive this great box of goodies from you.

thank you ever so much.
    maryanne

• hummingbirddaisy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So glad that at least one of those lovely boxes finally arrived. I have been skimming thru other RR threads and noticed that ALOT of mail is getting lost or taking absolutely forever!

I agree with Kristen completely and could not have said it better myself (or as good).
    Kristen - I will e-mail you very soon sweetie. Haven't felt all that well. Was vomiting yesterday....ucky!
    Still running a fever, but I think I may just be getting a bit better.

Hugs to you all -
    Tina

• kayemell
    17 years ago

Julie -- You asked what I do for a living..did you ever see that Tom Hanks movie called "Terminal" where he is stuck living the airport becuase of an immigration glitch? Well, that's me. My profession is public relations, but I do a ton of international travel. I love it sometimes and it makes me crazy at others. I just got back from Austria (Saltzburg) last week and it was lovely. There are beautiful outdoor Christmas markets everywhere with beautiful handcrafted goodies, and I wish I could have spent more time shopping. But I wanted to get back to the States to see my family, who I worry will forget who I am!!