Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenkitteh

Incredible Edibles-September Round 2!

gardenkitteh
15 years ago

I GOT THE BOX!!!!!!!!!

OMG-it's-so-cool-and-shiny-and-I'm-so-excited-and-look-at-all-the-nifty-stuff-and-wow-and-I-think-I'm-going-to-go-into-shock!

*starts to pass out so takes deep breaths.*

Okay, I think I've calmed down. Hopefully.

The box is beat up and is way too small. I'm going to have to replace it. Well I'm extremely excited!

Time to start the second and final round! I'll let you know when I've sent out the box again.

Comments (80)

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

ROFL Yall are so silly!

Welcome Back PIXIE!!! You were very missed!

What's everyone cooking or gonna be eating for Thanksgiving?

We'll have my Dad's glazed ham, mom's green bean casserole, broccoli casserole, sweet potatoes, cornbread dressing, cranberry sauce, baked mac n cheese, potato salad, coleslaw, corn, dinner rolls and who knows what else she'll be making. LOL For desert we always have, peanut butter cookies, chocolate chip cookies, chocolate cake, cheese cake & pecan pie. I'm gonna make Oreo balls, and not sure what else yet. Probably something by Paula Dean. haha

Mom always makes so much stuff so no one has to eat the same thing twice in one day.

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Mmmmm baked macaroni and cheese ....I love mac and cheese .....oh man I need to go eat something now LOL!!

We will be at my Mom's and have the usual Turkey and stuffing, with squash , some vegetable, and sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes...plus my sisters Mushroom and Italian sausage dressing, my creamed pearl onions and baked ziti and a kind of Hungarian bisquit that I only make at Thanksgiving and no one else knows the recipe for because my Gremma gave me the recipe. Then for desserts, my Step Daughter is making Apple Pie and my Mom a Pumpkin Pie and my sister a Chocolate Pudding pie...and I will make Pumpkin Cranberry bread...plus a sugar free Pumpkin pie and pumpkin cranberry loaf to leave at home so my hubby can have a dessert when we get home ....Then I do the whole thing myself on Sunday so we can have our own Thanksgiving at home LOL!!

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Well I am not doing Thanksgiving. We were supposed to go out for Thanksgiving, but as it turns out as of this moment we don't have the available funds SOOOOOO, I have a box of stuff, instant rice, my super fast 'giblet' gravy, pop-in-the-oven rolls, a turkey breast (maybe a whole small turkey)cranberry sauce, and that's it. I AM NOT gonna be cooking in the kitchen all day like I have the last many years...oh and because I LOVE THEM, deviled eggs...yummm!
    I HATE cooking anymore, and if I didn't have to I wouldn't! I like all the super fast cook in 20-30 minute meals, or ones I can throw together and stick in the oven and go OR the crock pot! No I am not lazy, I just have been cooking more then 1/2 my life and I want someone to cook for me! Anyone want to adopt me? HEHEHE

My mom doesn't have us over for meals anymore, she lives in a small place and there just isn't enough room for us all, my sister cooks but her children are adults and married to ppl I would rather not spend my holidy with, so we don't get together anymore.
    Gosh I miss my grandma, I loved going to her house for every holiday! It's amazing how much you miss your family members when the holidays and family get-to-gether times are amoung us. (My Mamaw was a great cook and I haven't had a chicken pie as good as her's since the last one I got of her's)

AS for Christmas, I may be lucky enough to go out for that meal! lol....

:) Fran

• booberry85
    15 years ago

It's going to be an interesting Thanksgiving. My Mom usually goes to my sister's for Thanksgiving. However, she had heart trouble and doesn't feel up to doing the drive to Boston. So I have been sequestered to cook Thanksgiving dinner at her house. My sister, her husband and her inlaws are going to my Mom's for Thanksgiving. In the meantime, I don't know if my own DH will be joining me at my Mom's (we'll find out what the "D" stands for if he comes or not.) Anyway, to make matters more interesting, my sister is vegetarian. My brother-in-law is vegan!!!

I do have butternut squash, pumpkin chocolate chip bread and a white bread braid ready to go. Oh, maybe some gingerbread cookies too if the DH didn't eat them all. I have to figure out the rest of it.

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

LOL....I forgot to mention that nobody in my family but me(and to a lesser extent, my sister) is really cooking, as my mother gets the turkey, stuffing , mashed tatos and squash along with the pumpkin pie pre-cooked from the Grocery store. Now that my Dad is gone she really doesnt cook anymore.

And I hear ya Fran about cooking for more than half your life LOL!!

• veeja11
    15 years ago

can't find the october thread so I want to thank frylegs here for box # 2 a garden girl coffee cup
    plum jam
    chinese wall calendar
    plastic pumpkin
    stick on notes with flags
    a haloween garden flag
    thankyou frys I love it all.
    plus she already sent me lots of seeds
    Pixie give Fox a hug for me, where have you been?
    hugs carol

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

MMM EVERYthing sounds soooo YUMMY!! I won't be cooking this year nor will we be going to family's. Fox and I will be one of those couples that go to a restaurant. BUT... Christmas Dinner is at our house! Both of our boys will be spending Turkey Day with their g/f's/fiance's house and my family is in Okla and Fox's family (mom and dad) are going to be out of town so Fox and I will be enjoying dinner cooked (prolly Golden Corral) and a couple hours of us time.

I hope everyone has a WONDERFUL THANKSGIVING!!!!

smiles,
    Pixie

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

I received the RR box today! I couldn't believe how many goodies could be crammed into one box! lol It will be off to Donna/Sunnyk tomorrow. :D

I took the scarecrow, a couple of the fireball garlic, onion seeds, pepper seeds and the Daylilly.

I put a bunch of goodies in the box and a special gift for Diane for hosting this RR and keeping up with all the comings and goings of the box. It's been a great swap! I'll post DC tomorrow as soon as I get back from the PO. :D

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Oh wow!! I cannot believe the box is heading my way already LOL!! I will be keeping an eye out for it...this is so exciting, the Winter Swap and the RR Box... how much fun can I handle LOL!!

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

Hello all..
    Well I see everyone is getting ready for a wonderful thanksgiving, I hope everyone has alot to be thankful for and good meals!!
    I am cooking ..tukey, potatoes,sweet potatoes,cranberry sauce, stuffing and pies of course and what ever else I forgot.
    I am just thankful for my families good health and that every has a place to live and jobs, we all know these days that is alot.
    I have been MIA, I didn't have internet for 3 days and then it was that dang flu, which right now I fighting, feeling better today, and the teen got her license so I been a nervous wreck. And it is snowing!! we got 3 inches!! not good driving but I will deal with it.
    Well everyone have a Happy Thanksgiving and be safe and healthy.

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving to you too Polly!!!! I hope you beat that flu bug soon....and I am right there holding your hand in unity about teen driving....my son got his license this passed Spring, and I havent had a moment of sanity since LOL....it didnt seem so bad when his older sisters started driving.....go figure!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to ALL!!!

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Donna watch for the mailman!!! The RR is in flight once again!!! :D DC is: 0480 5401 4370 8200 6547

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Woohooo....I just recieved the box, and man is it stuffed!!

I took out:
    A cute little metal dog that reminds me of my Marco,
    some cabbage seeds, radish seeds, and cauliflower seeds(one other thing of seeds as well but it escapes me at the moment LOL)
    also a few daffodils and a couple loose garlic cloves....oh and a little garden tote that I absolutely adore!!
    There was a problem with what I think are a houseplant bulb...looked like a pregnant onion but I wasnt too sure...I think they may have gotten frozen as they were mostly mush when the box arrived. I did manage to save one big and one small one though I cleaned them up and I hope they survive :). I feel so greedy with all of the goodies that I ended up with....but there is a ton of stuff left and I put a bunch of goodies in the box for the rest of it's journey :) Truthfully I could hardly fit it all back into the box LOL!!

I did the Black Friday 5am doorbuster sales today and then went grocery shopping ...I just got back less than an hour ago, and I am totally bushed, but I promise I will get the box out tomorrow morning Polly :)

Thank you all for making this a most wonderful swap....and a special Thanks and a BIG hug to Diane for taking on the whole thing!!!

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

I wish I could have went shopping there were some things I really wanted to get but it was just not a thing I could get accomplished this year. I HOPE I will get to next year and there are things worth shopping for!

I can't wait to see what is in that box this time!

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

The box is flying again!!

Polly the DC# is :0308 1400 0000 0107 7577

Thanks Again for such a fun RR!

• gardenkitteh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just got word and not all of our members are able to participate in this swap. This is the new list:

GardenKitteh
    BonechickChris
    SouthernCharm1
    Sunnyk
    FrenchFryLegs1
    NcGardenGirl
    Pixieluvplants
    Luvgardening2
    ejmoore510

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

There was a plant in the box, I believe it was Mint. It looks dead, but I broke off a piece and the twiggy part was still green. May be got too cold too? Not sure. It needs some love though. :D

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Yeah, the mint looked prety dead. I left it alone though,because I figured the roots might still be alive. The item I had to dispose of was a mushy mass of goo....and boy did it smell badly.I am sorry to whomever added it to the box, I know it must have been lovely before the freeze got to it.... :(

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

AHHH, that is so sad. Poor little plants.
    So where is the box now?

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

I am hoping that Polly has the box now as I checked the DC# and it indicates delivery was on the 1st :)

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

I got it ...Fran hold on to your pants geez...(just kidding!!)LOL
    I am sending it out today will post delivery number when I get back. the box is still full!! I put in a few things. off to the post office
    thanks again for a great swap, I have really enjoyed it.
    Polly

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Thanks for the update Polly, it is kind of hard since I lost weight, they keep sliding down...hehe
    NO joke I have so far lost 37 lbs...yeah me.
    Anyway, can't wait to see what is in that box THIS TIME...lol.

• booberry85
    15 years ago

~still lurking~

Fran congrats on the weight lost! I think I found it! If you like, I can return the weight. However, it does seem to be clinging to my hips. LOL!

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Oh no Becky, that's just fine you can keep that along with your SNOW...lol.

It really is funny though when I go to a store I do acutally have to keep pulling up my pants. I maybe in another size I have now but haven't checked lately!
    :D Fran

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Fran, that is wonderful! :)

Becky, ROFLMBO!!!

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

I received the box today. I took out:
    Ornithogalum caudatum
    a couple of the hot roots you make sauces out of (hehe, don't want to give it away)
    The remaining 3 Fireball Garlic
    The rmaining 2 Polish Garlic (some was running loose in the box not sure if it was part of it or not I left those cloves if so)
    The remaining piece of Variegate Ginger (Pixie wanted me to get a piece and I think it is dead :( it is all shriveled and dried up)
    I took out some Mustard and Radish and the wild Hyacinth
    I also fell in love with the Metal Pup and I have to have it too. I hope no one minds that. Oh I also got on of the mini Hummingbird things. How ever got those I would like to know, I would like a few more, those are neat!
    I put a gift in for Diane and I added some bulbs, 2 different flower bulbs and some 2 different onions.

Thanks again, this has been a great swap I will post the DC# tomorrow when it begins it's trip again!

Thanks,
    Fran

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Fran, I got those from Walgreens. They always have the neatest things hidden in their store! LOL

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Well, I just bet cha OURS doesn't have any...my son STOLED mine...he said OH, what is that I told him he said well, it's MINE now and the little booger REALLY took it with him!

Oh well, I hope he uses it! He said you don't have food, I said sugar water and I guess he figured he could do that too.

You win some you lose some,

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Oh poor Fran! Kids *shakes head*, like you could have really told him no...

You could tell him : Miss Kathy said that if you don't give my prizes back she's gonna have to come up here and get them for me... Then I'll get a vacation and you get your prizes back! Well, maybe... HAHAHA!

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

lol, Kathy you so silly!
    I didn't quite make it to the PO today, I have lost a roll of stamps and since I spent mega bucks on all my seeds (orders) I wanted to use some of those instead of using the cash on hand...errr, I have looked ALL day and can NOT find them anywahere!!!

:( Fran

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Box went back out this morning: 0308 1400 0000 2495 3230
    on it's way to Pixie girl!

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

WOW! It is making it's rounds FAST. I am after Pixieluvsplants. I cannot WAIT. We might be able to wrap this up before the year ends.

Nancy

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

WHOOOHOOO I GOT A BOX I GOT A BOX!!!!!

WOW a packed full box too!!! I have already decided what I am going to steal from the box and already have all my goodies going back in but I thinkie Imma gonna have to repack it somehow.

I am going to steal some of the hot roots that ya make a hot thingie from. I lost mine last year so ty to whoever put that in!!!

Also some of the Letuce seeds;
    some Chinese White Radish seeds
    some French Breakfast Radish seeds
    some Garlic Chive seeds
    some Zolushka Potato seeds and
    the ADORABLE SALAMANDER, I collect them and ohhh this one is such a sweetie.

I am adding some bulbs and some other things ;) also adding to Diane.

Nancy I am going to get this in the mail first thing Monday am and I will post the DC right after.

This has been sooo much fun!!!

Thank you Diane for hosting!

Smiles all,
    Pixie

• pixiesluvplants
    15 years ago

PS.... I forgot to mention that I ended up trashing the mint, it was all mush. I sorry. I kinda think that the weather us Southerners have had may have done it in completely.

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

OPPS it dropped to the second page

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

Hi Pixie, You never came back to post the DC# and I have been looking out for it and hanging around. Can you please tell me if it was shipped out? I want to be around to sign for it, I do not want it to go back to the Post Office and have to stand in line for it.

Thanks,

Nancy

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Hey guys, back during the first round, I took something out of the box that I thought was Taro Root....now I can't remember for certain if it was labeled as Taro, or if I just assumed it was Taro. I only ask now because some flowers ended up in our edible root round robin box(not that I minded the flowers :-D ), and if this is actually Elephant Ears or some caladium, I dont want to poison my family with it...LOL!!Yikes!!

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Oops, forgot to actually ask the question in my last post....so....Does anyone remember whether or not the big round corms from round #1 of the round robin were Taro?

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Taro is what they said they THOUGHT it was. I would say yes, but grow it out and see. You will know when you get the elephant ear leaves that is what it is.

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

So Elephant Ears and Taro are the same thing? Or are you saying if it has big Elephant Ears then it isnt Taro.

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Ok, googled that and found that they are not the same thing...so now I guess my question is, did the person who put them in the box(sorry I dont know which of you kind ladies added it)get the corms from a grocery or a nursery/greenhouse/seed or bulb source?

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Taro Field (looks like Elephant ear but is edible)
    corms

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Donna, I put them in the box. They are edible and I got them from a Veggie Market/Store. :)

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Oh cool!! That is so very cool!! I have one sprouted in my plant room already...I cant wait til next Fall when I can see if the corm got big....I love taro chips LOL!! Thanks :)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Where is the BOX now??? Did Pixie get it out?

What's going on with it does anyone know?

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

Well Pixie said she was shipping out on the 15th of Dec. and would come back and post the DC #. On the 18th I posted and asked her if she did ship it out and no response. I am next and I have not heard anything nor do I have the box. Very disappointing.

Nancy

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Well, shoot. I was hoping you would have gotten it by now too. Don't know what is going on with it. I was hoping Diane would have gotten all her goodies back by now.

:( Fran

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Anyone heard anything? I hope all is well with Trina. Nancy, I'm sorry that it's taking so long. Hopefully it will be there soon.

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

I sent Trina an email, I hope all is well.

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Diane, I thank you so very much for being patient for this RR and hosting such a long swap.

I am very sorry to those that have contributed to the contents of the box and were left with nothing in return.
    With no response I am left with nothing more to believe than it will not be heading to anyone else at this point. Until I hear something, this is all I am able to believe.

Thank you to everyone who participated in this swap.