Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

UPDATE: Pick-a-Seed Robin is in flight!

mmqchdygg
17 years ago

Hidee-ho, neighbors!

The P-A-S Robin has flown the coop, and is headed for the Seattle area of Washington State! Netta, you're FIRST! Here's a couple of details; PLEASE READ!!!

There are 41 participants.

Because I wanted everyone to have as much 'security' as possible, I did not circulate a Master List in the Robin (keep reading)

Each participant is being sent a SEPARATE SNAIL MAIL with the name of the person to whom you will send the Robin (along with some other TOP SECRET P-A-S Robin stuff ;) )

I will be sending those snail-mails 6 or 7 at a time, just prior to you receiving the Robin. The first 6 have gone out.

Dummy me went and left the Master List at home this morning, so I will post the list 1-41 here by username tonight or tomorrow.

The Map is also at home, so I'll get that out to you all via .pdf tonight/tomorrow also.

What I CAN tell you:

Anyone living in the following states, WATCH YOUR SNAIL MAIL!

Washington

Nevada

Arizona

Texas

Oklahoma

Missouri

p.s. DC # 0304 3490 0001 1790 2054

Comments (112)

• laperouse
    17 years ago

THANKS!

Marianne

• daisydo
    17 years ago

I love basil. I hope there are some packs in there when the robin comes flying into Tennessee!!

• Michelle Reynolds
    17 years ago

wow! this is the most seeds I have ever seen before.
    I took 35 and put in 36, I have a new large bubble envi to pack them in. this robin will be in flight to dorothy tomarrow.

I'll use the delivery cof. I was sent
    0304 3490 0001 1790 1989
    can't wait till round two
    thanks everyone for the great seeds
    michelle

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

I would love to be in round 2 too!

Deb

• moonphase
    17 years ago

Round 2???? where do we sign up at? I want in. I haven't even got round 1 yet..lol but reading about all the seeds coming,I am steadily packing up lots of different seeds to add. I am not real good at waiting,does it show?...lol
    moonphase

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

FYI- When you all replied to the very first email I sent, you indicated that you wanted to be in either just round 1, or both rounds. I have the following people who ONLY wanted to be in Round 1; the rest of the group is in both rounds:

Whisst
    Pastvast
    Skyblue
    Schmily

There will be a couple of new players for round 2, and any current players may choose to either 'opt-out' or 'opt-back-in' for Round 2 at any time.

Marianne will be added to Round 1 in slot 35B, after Don.

• flowergardenlady
    17 years ago

This is my first Round Robin..I can't wait to see what goodies are in there...I have my seeds to put in ready and waiting...FLY ROBIN FLY!!!!!

Jeanene

• strmywthr3
    17 years ago

anyone know where the package is now? I'm getting antsy! lol

• Julie
    17 years ago

Hey there Tina-
    I received your snail mail! You are so clever! Thanks for hosting such a wonderful robin!
    Julie

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I checked yesterday, and it was Delivered on Monday at Dorothy's house.

• drevalvo
    17 years ago

Nancy...it's on it's way to you!

delivery confirm 0304-3490-0001-1790-1965

Dorothy

• cedarnest
    17 years ago

I'll be on the lookout Dorothy : ) Got my seeds ready to go : ) This is really alot of fun : ) Nancy

• cedarnest
    17 years ago

Dorothy,Are you sure you typed the confirmation correctly? I went to usps to check on the robin to see when it might arrive here and all it says is
    Label/Receipt Number: 0304 3490 0001 1790 1965

There is no record of this item.

I typed in one number wrong once.. and that happened to me : ( Please check on the number and let me know ok? I am sooo excited : )
    Nancy

• cedarnest
    17 years ago

Awesome!!!! The envelope arrived today : ) Wow!! There are alot of seeds to go through.Good thing it landed here over the weekend!! LOL .It will be back in flight Monday morning to Ordella.I will post the del con # after I send it off.Thanks for sponsoring this Tina!!
    Have a Great Weekend All : )
    Nancy/cedarnest

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The number is correct; Dorothy, you hand delivered, and got your end postmarked, yes?

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

DOH!

• cedarnest
    17 years ago

Ordella,The robin is on its way!! It should arrive in 2 days : )
    #0304 3490 0001 1790 1934

Thanks Tina for the Great RR : ) Nancy

• oknish
    17 years ago

Thank you Nancy: I will be watching for it. ~ I have
    seeds all ready - I am really excited about this
    after what everyone is saying about the big package.
    Thanks OrDella

• cedarnest
    17 years ago

LOL!! Big it Is Ordella!! I repacked it all into an even "Bigger Envelope"!! There are certainly alot of seeds to choose from. This is soo much fun : ) Nancy

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Maggie, Alice, Stephanie watch your snail mail; going out today!

• oknish
    17 years ago

Hi: I received the package in the mail last nite so I will take a final look tonite and put it in the mail
    tomorrow - Julie you will have fun with the large package.
    Conf. # 0304 3490 0001 1790 1873 Thanks alot everyone
    for the nice seeds that were in the package.
    Tina, thanks for starting this - Happy Thanksgiving to everyone that is involved with this R.R. OrDella

• etravia
    17 years ago

Tina - Thank you so much! I can't wait! I'm getting spring fever already!
    Maggie

• strmywthr3
    17 years ago

hey guys, I'm really excited about this swap, but worried that I might hold it up and maybe I should pull out? I'm having surgery Nov 30th on my left shoulder/neck to relieve pressure on the nerves/arteries in the thoracic area. this has been causing pain/numbness/tingling in my shoulder, elbow and hand/wrist. I've been watching as the seeds make their way around and I think they may make it to me about the time I'm having surgery. I don't want to delay the envelope, so should I just wait til it gets closer to me and then let people know if it should skip me? after the surgery, I'll be off work 2-3 weeks, but should be up and moving - just not very quickly.

what do you think?
    Barbi

• weeds105
    17 years ago

I would love to be included in round 2 if possible. I have never done a RR but it sounds fantastic.
    Thanks, Eileen

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Eileen-
    I'll send you email so we can get you into R-2!

Barbi- Do you think it'll be a LONG holdup, or just a couple extra days? Cuz I don't think we'd have a problem with a few extra days, but if you think it'll be a lot longer, I can re-route it and put you further down the list, say in slot 33B?. Email me and we'll chat.

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

I would be interested in being included in round 2!

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Sue! Yup; you're already on the R2 list!

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Updated List. Barbi needs to be rescheduled. Daphne, your snail-mail will reflect the change, everyone else stays the same.

9. Oknish- Ordella

1. Julie_mn- Julie
    2. Northerngirlz3- Jen
    3. Candycow- Candy
    4. Debbya- Deb A
    5. Etravia- maggie
    6. Michiganalice- Alice
    7. Pastvast- Stephanie
    8. Lisam627_ohio_z6- Lisa
    9. Daff_knee2000- Daphne
    10. Strmywthr3- Barbi
    11. Columbusgardener- Debbie C
    12. Skyblue52- Susan
    13. Msprettyky- Brenda J
    14. Simply_lisa- Lisa L
    15. Flowergardenlady- Jeanene
    16. Tinatn- Tina
    17. Daisydo- Joyce
    18. Mimib1- Brenda S
    19. Giverny4me- Susan
    20. Moonphase- Annette
    21. Lil_green_thumb- Kimberly
    22. Ggwrn- Ginger
    23. Antiquegardenfairy- Sandra
    24. Schmily- Ann
    25. Kayemell- Kristen
    26. Dem_pa- Donald
    27. Jeanie74- Jeanie
    28. Gardenscout- Lauri
    29. Wendeyzee- Wendey
    30. Zabecc- Elizabeth
    31. Amy B
    32. Mmqchdygg- Tina
    33. Strmywthr3- Barbi
  • gardeningdummbie
    17 years ago

Tina,
    Is it too late to join this round? If it is, please sign me up for round 2.

-EJ

• dizzydaffodil
    17 years ago

Think it'll make it back for round 2 by Spring? LOL! It's like an enormous snowball, just keeps growing!
    Tina, I have never seen someone as organized as you are with this RR!!! It is awesome just to be part of this!
    Thank you again for such a wonderful RR!
    Susann

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

EJ- Pretty much it depends on where you're located in the country. The way the Robin is set up, it's moving West-East, and individual mails are being sent to everyone for who they send to. Please email me directly, and I'll see what I can do about squeezing you in somewhere. Otherwise, we'll definitely get you in Round 2.

Ok everyone else, I need an opinion here on a related subject. We've all noted the amount of time it's taken to get just this far. It is anticipated that it will take minimum 3 days between stops, which means that we've still got a LONG way to go. For those of us Winter Sowing, it's going to be REALLY tight for even receiving the first round.

I'm proposing that the Robin be split in 1/2 and run twice as fast. For Round 2, I'd swap them out, and start them at either end of the country, that way everyone gets to see the entire Robin.

I need a quick poll:

A) Leave it alone to run as-is
    B) Split it and MOVE IT FASTER!

Thanks.

• laperouse
    17 years ago

Hi Tina,

I'm voting for option B. I'm planning to winter sow so I'd be in trouble if we stay the current course.

Marianne

• flowergardenlady
    17 years ago

Hi Tina,
    I'm voting for option B also..I am planning to do my first winter sowing this year.

Jeanene

• nettasaura
    17 years ago

Hey Tina...split it!

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

(35B is still Marianne- sorry Marianne! I cut & pasted from the last list I posted!)

• laperouse
    17 years ago

Tina,

No worries.

Marianne

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

My suggestion... to split it, but wait until it's at the half way point to do so. With each stop, it continues to grow and the variety of seeds increase. Now that we know it's possibly splitting, we could each add even more 'extra' seeds to help the seed robin out.

Deb

• cedarnest
    17 years ago

B. split it up. It will move much faster that way: )
    Nancy

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, absolutely. I totally agree with you debbya, and here's why:
    I've already sent out snail-mails up to Stephanie. The next one to go out would be Lisa...she's very nearly 1/2-way, so I figured she can just do it (if she's willing and if we decide to do it at all). The 'plan' would be:

Split the Robin into a Red Robin & a Blue Robin.
    Red stays on course til the end.
    Blue gets redirected to Ginger, who is at the 1/2-way point of the remaining participants, and travels its normal route from there to the end, at which point, blue gets back-peddalled (by me) to Daff_knee, and takes the course as far as Kimberly, who would then send back to me.
    At that point, time will no longer be a factor, I'll stick them both back together, and restart Round 2 with the original fat robin.
    Follow?
    This would mean that by the time blue has to be recirculated, EVERYONE will have seen at least a good portion of the Robin, and it'll be closer to New Years than mid-February. Round 1 will still END in Mid-Feb (likely, assuming that 3-day turnaround time), and everyone will get to see the ENTIRE Robin, but EVERYONE will have seen SOME portion of the Robin by the end of the Year, so that everyone has a chance to get SOMETHING from the Robin earlier than Feb.
    See?

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

While the polls are still open, I'd like to throw something else out there (I may be complicating this more than is necessary):

If we split it, we can do a couple things:
    1. Run each only to the end of their respective 'halves' and then start over- means Round 2 starts ~New Years.
    2. Run each as stated above, making sure that all participants at the end see both halves- Means Round 2 starts ~Mid Feb
    3. LEAVE it split for Round 2, run two separate Robins, as suggested by one of the participants...one headed East, one headed West.

Feel free to chime in on the topics-at-hand.

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, and if you didn't notice the change up there in the map, please welcome EJ to the Robin in Upstate NY in slot 34B! (Kristen, your snail-mail will reflect the change.)

(I don't post a new map each time; I just change the one I have, and it updates here.)

• strmywthr3
    17 years ago

I agree with the split. I will be attempting to wintersow again this year.

Barbi

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

EXECUTIVE DECISION HAS BEEN MADE
    Sorry for thinking out loud on the thread guys & gals. I'm making an executive decision. Forget the first part of my thought-pattern about back-peddalling the Blue one back to the 'starting' point of the split.
    IF the majority votes to split, it will be a Red Robin/Blue Robin Split, and each will travel another 12 & 13 stops, then both returning home. Round 2 should start ~ New Years. Period.

I'll take a look at each Robin when it gets home to see what I can do to start a second round as 'equally as possible' and then run one from each end so it doesn't take as long to run.

It's looking like the majority of voters are wanting to move this Robin along and split it up (18 votes so far, with 16 votes to split (need 22 for majority vote), 1 vote to leave it alone, and 1 fence-sitter).

Back later with more details.

• dem_pa
    17 years ago

Split it.

dem_pa

• schmily
    17 years ago

I vote to split it. And if it's not too much trouble at that point I'd like to change my mind and be included in the second round (like I need MORE seeds?!?!?).

• Julie
    17 years ago

Hi ya-all-
    THE package has arrived!
    It had about 80 great seed packets in it-
    I found 11 for me- and put in 108 more!!!
    I think I read some where above we should bump up the number in the package for the eventual split-
    I did my bit- And covered for another one or two who might not be as....... compulsive..... (yeah- that word might fit) at saving seeds as I am!!
    I may be a compulsive seed saver- but I am cheap! My packets are folded paper- which hold seeds fine- but care should be used when sorting through them so they dont fly open on you-
    They are in a seperate baggie as well- which helps them to stay closed for the next gal on the list-
    I am putting Tina's Addy as the return addy- should the robin ever feel the need to fly home- and sending on with the delivery conformation code of 0304 3490 0001 1790 2283 to NorthernGirlZ3 tomorrow at lunch.
    My thanks to Tina and all -
    Julie

• Michelle Reynolds
    17 years ago

hello
    I say split it(b) but please update everything on the rout, I'm a little confused ( that is not hard to do :) )
    thanks michelle

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok, it's official. I have 23 votes:

20 "Split it"
    1 "Leave it alone"
    2 fence sitters.

I'm taking those 2 fence sitters and putting them in the "Split it" group, and the deed is done.

Here's the scoop:

Robin splits at Lisa. NO CHANGES TO ANY PLAYERS BEFORE LISA. You will receive the current Robin as-is, and send it according to the instructions you received in your snail-mail.
    Lisa, I will send you some additional instructions, a second DC for Ginger, and we'll be good to go.

Red Robin continues on current path, stopping at Kimberly.
    Kimberly, your DC will be changed to reflect returning the Robin to me.

The Blue Robin will be sent directly to Ginger, and continue to the end: Me.
    Barbie, you will be put at the beginning of Round 2 (call it the end of Round 1 if you want), as well as in your usual spot within the Round, so you will NOT be missing a Round.

Round 2 will also be a split Robin. I will make every effort to equal out the two Robins with number of seeds and/or seed varieties. In cases where there aren't duplicates to put in each Robin, I'll just go by style & color and/or annual, perennial, veggie/herb. I'll make a new map for Round 2.

Here's a new map for the "Pick-Split"

{{gwi:1303618}}

• mmqchdygg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

All- I am closing this thread. I will post all the changes clearly in a new Update thread.

DO NOT POST TO THIS THREAD, PLEASE. Thanks.

• flowersandbirds4ever
    17 years ago

Hi i got a new message on me posting if any new rr where going on and i got your message for pick a seed rr.i would love to join plmk what i am to do thanks rosie