Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mchill320

NEW: November's Beans, beans, beans swap

mchill320
10 years ago

Hi Everyone. It's time for the Beans, Beans, Beans swap.
Anyone and everyone is welcome to join this swap.

Here are the rules:

This swap is beans only.
You will receive the same amount of seed packets that you send in so if you send in 50 packs you will receive 50 packs back, unless you indicate that you would like to give away some packs.

Send in no more than 100 packs; this ensures that you get different beans than the ones you sent in. Because last year someone sent in over a 100 packs and they received most of their packs back. Do not send more than 5 packs of the same variety, or will get the multiples sent back to you. Please put 10-16 seeds in each pack. A smaller amount for rare varieties is ok. You can send in extras if you would like so I have a variety of beans to send out to everyone.

Please send only viable beans, beans from the grocery store will not sprout.

Feel free to send in commercial beans and/or beans harvested from your own garden. Just please indicate if they are commercial or garden harvested on your packet and please include the year they were harvested. If you just harvested your, please allow them to dry so they don't mold while in the package.

Please send beans that are no older than 2 years! No bean mixes.

Send your beans in a bubble envelope. However much it takes to send them in, please include that same amount in your package for its return. If you do not give me enough postage I will send you an email telling you to send me more postage. Also include if you can an address label, it is not required it just makes it easier for me to get your package back to you. Please include a list of what you are sending; this just helps me make sure that you don't get back what you sent in. Please put a wish list in your package so I can get you the Beans you would like.

If you are sending them in a bubble envelope, please make sure that the envelope is strong enough to protect the beans coming in and going out. I will reuse the same box/envelope that you sent your beans in to save you money.

I will hold sign ups for 2-3 weeks. Sign ups will end on November 10th. Please send in your seeds as soon as you can, so I can get them out to you quickly. Please send them in by November 20th. You will receive your seeds 2-3 weeks after November 20th.

Send me an email as soon as you can so I can email you my address. Send your email to michelle320ch@gmail.com, I set up this email just for this swap. Please include your screen name in the email.
If you have any questions or comments please let me know.

Thank You!

Comments (71)

• mchill320
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok here is my list so far:
    Midwestfarmwife (mary)
    Wildmantrav (travis) received
    Mermaidinthegarden (Miriam)
    Crystalline_ca
    MissyGA64 (missy)
    BeesNees (bea) received
    Pinkiris (jayeanne)
    Dem_pa
    Spacetogrow (chris)
    forgetmenot_Orlando (Karen)
    ForeverRecycleReuse (Jessica)
    Gary Fitzgerald
    Em247 (Emily)
    Sorellina (jules)
    GreatLord (Etienne)

Just a reminder: Please post here before you send me an email. It helps me keep track of all the participants.

• forgetmenot_orlando
    10 years ago

Just letting you know that I have mailed in my package to you today. I enclosed 21 packages of beans, a return sticker and three dollars of postage, so I should be covered. I am really looking forward to this swap, as I really love growing and eating beans.
    Thanks,

Karen

• rdback
    10 years ago

Count me in.

E-mail on the way.

Rick

• habitat_gardener
    10 years ago

Almost missed it! Thanks, Gary, for the reminder. I'm in!

• mchill320
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is an update:

Midwestfarmwife (mary)
    Wildmantrav (travis) *
    Crystalline_ca
    MissyGA64 (missy)
    BeesNees (bea) *
    Pinkiris (jayeanne) *
    Dem_pa
    Spacetogrow (chris)
    forgetmenot_Orlando (Karen) *
    ForeverRecycleReuse (Jessica) *
    Gary Fitzgerald
    Em247 (Emily) *
    Sorellina (jules)
    GreatLord (Etienne)
    Yorktown (patty)
    Divina3315 (elise) *
    Rdback (rick)
    Habitat_gardener

* means i have received your package.

• missyga64
    10 years ago

beans went out and tracking says you should have it on tues.

• johnboyjjm
    10 years ago

Thank you for hosting.
    My package went in the mail this morning from Kentucky.

• yeli0507
    10 years ago

I'm new but I hace some beans ill love share I'm not familiar with any of the mentioned seeds but I'll like to grow them anyway. I would like anything of purple color :) I don't have many cool ones but I have pigeon peas and cranberry bean. (Just looked up "true red cranberry bean" beatiful things would love to eat those. Count me in ill send some of what I got I got lima beans too I'm excited first swap that I can send something :)

• midwestfarmwife
    10 years ago

My 60 packs went in the mail today.

• mchill320
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• mchill320
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update!
    Midwestfarmwife (mary)
    Wildmantrav (travis) *
    Crystalline_ca *
    MissyGA64 (missy) *
    BeesNees (bea) *
    Pinkiris (jayeanne) *
    Dem_pa *
    Spacetogrow (chris)
    forgetmenot_Orlando (Karen) *
    ForeverRecycleReuse (Jessica) *
    Gary Fitzgerald
    Em247 (Emily) *
    Sorellina (jules)
    GreatLord (Etienne) *
    Yorktown (patty)
    Divina3315 (elise) *
    Rdback (rick)
    Habitat_gardner (Tanya)
    Yeli0507
    Johnboyjjm (James) * Need a wish list.

* means i have your package.

• PRO
    Flex Design LLC
    10 years ago

Would like to receive if you have extras to donate. Thanks

• aquadragonfly
    10 years ago

Well POOH,,,,I missed this.......:(

• habitat_gardener
    10 years ago

I'm sending my package today and will e-mail my wish list and sent list.

• yeli0507
    10 years ago

Me too if you have extra I would loveeeee that

• mchill320
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have all packages. I will put them together and send them out as soon as possible.

• yeli0507
    10 years ago

awww im excited!!!!!!

• forgetmenot_orlando
    10 years ago

Hi Mcchill320,

Can you please tell us the status on the beans? I hope you are doing well and enjoying the holiday season.
    Thanks

Karen

• mchill320
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am in the process of putting packages together and i will send them out as soon as possible.

• mchill320
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will start sending out packages tomorrow. I will have all packages out to you by Christmas. Sorry for the delay, finals at school took a lot more of my time then i expected.
    Thanks for being patient.

• forgetmenot_orlando
    10 years ago

mcchill320,

Thanks for the heads up, I hope your finals went well, no
    worries. I am looking forward to my beans. Have a wonderful holiday and happy new year.

Karen

• missyga64
    10 years ago

Finals are killer. . . trusting you did well.

Hope your holidays are wonderful.

Missy

• wildmantrav
    10 years ago

I got my beans in the mail yesterday, what a nice selection! I just wanted to thank mchill320 for hosting the swap and everyone else who participated, I'm really looking forward to next years garden season!

• forgetmenot_orlando
    10 years ago

I received my beans today. What a great variety and many that I had asked for, mchill320 you did a great job of hosting this wonderful swap. I am looking forward to the next one. Wishing you all a Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and happy gardening 2014!!

• dem_pa
    10 years ago

Were the bean seeds mailed? It looks like only two people received their packages.

• beesneeds
    10 years ago

I'm curious as to if the beans were mailed out too please.

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

I too have not rec'd my package....have they been mailed? thanks for the update =)

• forgetmenot_orlando
    10 years ago

I got my beans just prior to Christmas, if you have not received yours, you need to check with the person who started this swap. It sounds from her email that all went, but I can only speak for myself .
    Karen

• midwestfarmwife
    10 years ago

I also have not received my seeds. Curious if all have been mailed and if there is a tracking #.

• beesneeds
    10 years ago

I sent mchill an email. I wrote this:

"Several people are questioning getting the bean swap on GW. It seems that a couple people got packages before Christmas, but many people have not heard anything nor gotten a bean package in the mail.

Could you please let us all know what is going on with the packages please?

Thank you :)

Bea"

I hope no one objects to what I have sent the host.

• em247
    10 years ago

That sounds reasonable. I haven't gotten mine either, but I wasn't sure if it was because they hadn't been mailed yet, or if the mail was delayed with the holidays.

• midwestfarmwife
    10 years ago

Yes, several of us are wondering. I sent in 60 packs.

• missyga64
    10 years ago

I received my beans, probably a week before christmas. I was out of town and dont know exactly when they arrived. I thought I posted a thank you then.

• rdback
    10 years ago

Ditto what MissyGA64 said.

• mchill320
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am so sorry for the delay. i will get all packages out this week. I will not host again next year because i did not get them out on time this swap.

• beesneeds
    10 years ago

Thanks for letting us know whats going on mchill, glad you got through the holiday season ok :) I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't think you should decide now not to host again in the future. Delays happen, especially with finals and the holidays. It's just good to know what's going on when delays happen.

• mchill320
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Packages away. Tomorrow I will mail out the last three packages. Again I am sorry for the very long wait. Thank you so much for your patience. I hope everyone enjoys their new seeds.

• ForeverRecycleReuse
    10 years ago

I received my package yesterday -- Thank you!

• em247
    10 years ago

I received my beans today. Thanks for all of your hard work hosting and for the great selection of seeds. I was short a package from the number I sent in, but hopefully it went to a good home that will plant them and appreciate their beaniness. : ).

• beesneeds
    10 years ago

Squee with joy, my hubby just brought in the mail. I barely took a moment to open the envelope and pour out the contents before hopping onto GW to say yay!

Thank you so much mchill for hosting this swap. Just at first glance I'm seeing colors and names I know I will be well pleased to grow :)

• dem_pa
    10 years ago

I received my envelope with my seeds today. Thanks to our hostess and all who shared their seeds with me.

• Mermaidinthegarden
    10 years ago

I was so excited to see the bubble envelope in the mail today, but when I picked it up, it seemed lightweight and flat for an envelope full of beans. I looked more closely and the end was already wide open, nothing left inside but my list. :-( I guess I will be contacting my post office, though it probably wont do any good. A year ago an envelope with tomato seeds was open when I got it and missing some seed baggies. Never did get them back.... You would think if they found a package was damaged and opened, with the contents spilling out, they would tape it up.

• mchill320
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i am sorry to hear about your package. when i sent it i made sure it was taped very well.

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

I rec'd my package today, thank you everyone for sharing! Very happy with the great selection.

• rdback
    10 years ago

Mermaidinthegarden said:

"Ooh, I would like to join this one too! I don't have very many varieties yet, but beans are what got me started on heirlooms."

and

"I was so excited to see the bubble envelope in the mail today, but .... nothing left inside but my list. :-("

Now that there is a damn shame, as they say. I would be more than happy to share some of my bounty from this swap. Mchill320 did an awesome job, and it will be years before I could grow them all.

If interested, send me your mailing info (and your wish list, if you want) and I'll see what I can do.

Rick

This post was edited by rdback on Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 15:57

• spacetogrow
    10 years ago

My package got to me safely. Thank you to Michelle, and all who participated.

• Mermaidinthegarden
    10 years ago

Thanks Rick, Michelle, and others who offered to send me some seeds. What a generous group of people! My coworker works at the local post office and I told her what happened, so she just texted me the phone number for lost packages. She said when things fall out of packages they are cataloged and sent to a main office, and that there is a chance I would be able to get them back. So I will call and see what they can do. *fingers crossed* I know everyone worked hard sending in their seeds and Michelle worked hard distributing them, and would be a shame for that to be wasted. Lets see what the good ol' USPS can do.

• midwestfarmwife
    10 years ago

I am still waiting on mine. Maybe they will arrive in today's mail.

• midwestfarmwife
    10 years ago

My beans arrived yesterday. It made my day! Thank you so much to everyone who participated and to our hostess for all her work. I received many nice varieties, including some I haven't heard of. I will really enjoy researching the new ones and can't wait to plant (and eat) them this summer.

• tormato
    10 years ago

Mine came in yesterday. Just enough new ones to keep me very busy, but not over busy, this year.

I'm thinking about being the host next fall.

Gary