Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tormato_gw

NEW: Beans, peas and legumes swap

tormato
9 years ago

I'll be hosting this swap. But, it's YOUR swap for those who participate. Please post any ideas for how you'd like to see it run.

For now, my spare time is taken up running the tomato swap, which will likely last through December.

My thoughts are to receive all packages in this bean swap by mid/late December, post everything that comes in on a list, and then have everyone fight over who gets what. :)

Well, it would be more like everyone posts what they would like, numbering their preferences from 1 to ...

Each participant would get their first choice if available, then it would move on to their second choice, etc...

Wish lists could be used in advance (like the tomato swap), but I do not know if participants in the swap would likely have what others are looking for.

Packages would likely go back in early January.

Gary

Comments (164)

• tormato
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The first few packages of beans (with tomatoes) are going out today...

CA C Ne
    CA Crys

• socalgardengal
    9 years ago

Received my package on Saturday! Thank you everyone and to Gary for being a great host :) Very happy with everything! Now the hard part...choosing what to plant

• tormato
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Packages going out today...

Fran Y Me
    MN D Sa
    NC V Ba
    NH B Hi
    PA K Jo
    PA D Mo
    TN M Ne
    WI T Go

I'll also post this in the tomato swap thread.

Gary

• dem_pa
    9 years ago

I received my seeds today. Thanks for sharing your seeds with me. Thanks also to a great host.

Don

• tormato
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Going out today...

MI Let
    MN C Wa
    OH K Ko

The logistics of those long wish lists is kind of overwhelming. So, I may have to just concentrate on about the top 10+ on your lists. Also, I"m splitting up a lot of packs. So, there may be a few varieties with only one or two seeds in the pack, and several more with about 5 or 6 seeds in a pack.

That's if I'm working with the correct wish lists, as there are the ones sent in, along with the online updates, and updates of updates.

Gary

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

I sent mine in with the tomatoes and with the beans. Mary E.

• sdambr
    9 years ago

Hi Gary,
    Sorry for the confusion, my last edit was just to put alphabetically, other than that nothing changed.
    Thanks so much for your hard work.
    I really appreciate it.
    Sue

• philagardener
    9 years ago

Got my box today! Absolutely astounding! Thanks to you for hosting and all the hard work, and to everyone who shared seed in this round robin! I can't wait to get these in the ground! (When does winter end, again? Answer: not soon enough!)

• fresc1000
    9 years ago

WOW!!! My seeds came today, and I am so excited! Thank you SO MUCH for all these great varieties, and especially for the extras you slipped in! How thoughtful!

• stefaniechamo_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Gary, I just wanted to make sure you didnt have any problems with my package, I haven't been on the website for a while now, but i wanted to check in to see if everything was going smoothly, will you be able to send out my package alright?

• fresc1000
    9 years ago

UPDATE FROM GARY!!!!!

He is unable to log in and post on GW because of the Houzz changes. But he is working on the remaining packages and will get them out soon, hopefully by Tuesday.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Hang in there, Gary! We made it, you will, too! Mary E.

• stefaniechamo_gw
    9 years ago

Thank you for the update!

• philagardener
    9 years ago

Yes, this new front end is going to take some getting used to! I hope it works out for everyone!

• Nancyej10x
    9 years ago

I got my seed package today. Amazing!!! What a wonderful lot of beans. Thank you, Gary, for all your hard work putting this together! And thanks to you all who sent in seeds. Now if it would just quit snowing and warm up!

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

It is going to be so cold here Weds and Thurs, I don't think the mail carrier will come around.

• sdambr
    9 years ago

I got an update from Gary as he is still not able to post here. The rest of the packages are going out Tuesday and Wednesday. Woo hoo!

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Excellent news! I'm super excited to get mine!

... And on further inspection, I discovered my wonderful pack of bean seeds from Gary, just waiting for me in the mail box! Fantastic! I opened the box and gave it a quick peruse. Such a wonderful variety of seeds. I'm about to settle in and start looking them all up. Thanks so much for all your hard work, Gary!

• sea_kangaroo
    9 years ago

I think I got the wrong package! There were 123 varieties in my box, which is amazing, but only 4 of them are things on my want list, and many are things I asked to not receive (e.g. cowpeas, yard-longs, the Canadian beans). Is there someone similarly confused by their package?

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

I'm still waiting for my tomato package and bean package or combined package. Mary E.

• sdambr
    9 years ago

I received my pacage today! Thank yo Gary for such an awesome assortment. I will never need another bean or tomato seed again. (RMind me next year) You did such a phenomenal job and I am completely overwhelmed! Going to spend the next few days researching!

Thank you to all who contributed and especially Gary for you generosity!

• sdambr
    9 years ago

Message from Gary

For cottonwood468 - Should I send to the Chicago address, or the other one? The package will most likely go out on Monday.

For sea_kangaroo - I need her mailing address.

(She received the wrong package. But, because of her unique wish list (ones that no one else wanted) I still have about 30 wish list varieties for her. I have no idea if my email contact info is still available on Gardenweb)

For pink iris - Her package will go out Monday.

(and that wraps up the tomato/bean swaps, 125+ participants, 12,500+ packs of seeds)

Thanks
    Gary

Also posted on tomato swap

• sea_kangaroo
    9 years ago

Thanks Gary! I have your email so I'll contact you.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Gary, YES, please send the package to the Chicago address. If you sent it to the MG address, I still would have received it.

Can I ask why mine is the last to go out?? Is it because I was the last to send in tomato seeds? Or beans?

Mary E. and No, my last name doesn't start with E.

• midwestfarmwife
    9 years ago

Mary, my tomatoes and beans haven't arrived yet but I know when the package comes, I'll be very pleased just like last year.

From Mary E. in zone 5 where there is still snow on the ground.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

I don't mind waiting, more than two months late ... who's counting? What I do mind is being told two weeks in a row "most are going out Monday or Tuesday" and then "the rest are going out Tuesday". I believed him, so I spent the last two (coldest weeks in Chicago history) watching for this package (seven days a week, til 7pm) nonexistent as it turns out. That's what I mind, running up my heating bill for a nonexistent package. He has all my info, I followed all the instructions for both swaps. I even explained them to other people and emailed them his address. My bean swap wish list was short, too. Mary E.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Is that what's wrong? There are two different " Mary E. " ???

• midwestfarmwife
    9 years ago

My middle initial is E., but last name starts with S.
    My package arrived today - yippeeee! So many different bean and tomato varieties that I'm speechless. It will be fun to research all of these and dream of planting, growing, and eating these veggies. Hurry up Springtime!
    A big thank you to Gary for doing this huge swap again and helping us try new seeds that would cost us a lot if we ordered them, and thank you to everyone who contributed their seeds.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

It was great today knowing not to watch for the package. Negative two degrees this morning.

• tessie83856
    9 years ago

Gary, I received my tomato and bean/pea seeds a couple of days ago. I am thrilled with the varieties, have quite a bit of research to do now. You did a great job, thank you.

• catanache
    9 years ago

Received my package a couple days ago as well. So many varieties. You've made it a challenge to choose out what to grow this year. Thank you!

• stefaniechamo_gw
    9 years ago

I also recieved my package last week, I love it, thank you! how awesome!

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Gary, I received the tomato/bean package yesterday. I wanted to make sure you knew it arrived safe. Thank you for all your organizing, sorting and mailing. It looks like you wrote many, many of the labels. Opened it up and spread it out today, amazed at all the types and names. The things from my wish list and things I didn't think to ask for, but I am very glad to have. Special shout out to all the seedy friends that contributed beans, peas, tomatoes, peppers. Gary, if you wrote all those labels, we have to help out with that. LOL, tonight it is seven degrees, but next week it will hit 50s a couple of times. Thinking about planting peas. Thanks again, Mary E.

• habitat_gardener
    8 years ago

Gary wanted to let everyone know that he will again be hosting a bean peas legume swap (after he finishes the tomato swap?), but still cannot log in or post here. For information, you can keep an eye on the Mostly Mystery 'Mater Mailing thread at tomatoville. No details have been posted yet, as far as I know.

• spacetogrow
    8 years ago

Great news! I'll keep an eye out.

• spacetogrow
    8 years ago

Tormato asked if someone on this thread could direct people to his 2015 Mostly Mystery 'Mater Mailing thread at Tomatoville so as to express interest in swapping beans. He apparently doesn't know how. I tried but it didn't work for me either.

Anyone have a little technical savvy?

• philagardener
    8 years ago

This link should get you there.

• Nancyej10x
    8 years ago

Gary says that anyone wanting to join his bean round robin can email him at dwcmuseum@yahoo.com

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Gary says last call for this years bean swap. Message him at dwcmuseum@yahoo.com or post here.

• Phylis
    8 years ago

Hi, can someone help me with these questions since I can't find the rules for the bean swap. Thank you!

1. Do I need to send in 10 packs of a variety?

2. How many seeds per pack?

3. Return postage?

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Phylis - Your best bet would be to contact Gary via email. He's never big on exact directions. For the beans, I don't think you need to send in 10 packs of a variety. For seed counts, I think 5 is min for a rare type. Return postage would be equivalent to what it cost you to ship.

• Phylis
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thank you Erica. Appreciate your help.

Do you know what's the max number of packs allowed per variety?

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Phylis - I have no idea on that one. If you're wanting to send in more than 10 of one type, you might want to shoot an email to Gary.

• Phylis
    7 years ago

Reviving this thread, as the fantastic Legume swap is back again this year! :)

Link

• Phylis
    7 years ago

Bump. For those interested in joining the swap, see link for participation details.

• Annie (Georgia / USDA Hardiness Zone 8A)
    7 years ago

I joined Tomatoville in July and still do not have full access, I can make posts but they go into moderation. I've been lurking on the MMMM threads and have been resisting the temptation to join the MMMM via sponsorship. I was strong until I saw spacetogrow's list. - those peas and peppers sucked me in and, assuming I get out of moderation and can get a sponsor, I'm in.

• spacetogrow
    7 years ago

Hi Annie,

I know tormato has been including people on both sites in his swap for years. He's been out of communication for a while but I can try to contact him directly and let him know I am sponsoring you. You can find his mailing address on page 12, post 170 and send in a bubble mailer, return postage, your address and wish list. In previous years, the swap has been short on peas so if you happen to see any pea varieties - even pretty common ones - on end-of-season clearance, probably some people will appreciate them.

• Annie (Georgia / USDA Hardiness Zone 8A)
    7 years ago

Thank you for the sponsorship, I was not dropping hints but I am especially glad that you are willing to sponsor me.

I will check out the stores when I go, in my area the spring/summer seeds are sold out or taken off the shelves and few stores stocked Fall seeds. Last time I was in the Home Depot and Lowes stores in my area they had taken down the seeds. My local Walmart had Fall seeds and I will see what they have next time I'm at that store.

I have been saving seeds from fruits and vegetables that I have gotten over the summer but I don't know much about their variety, so my descriptions will be along the lines of Farmer's Market Cantaloupe.

• spacetogrow
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Annie, no pressure on sending in seeds. I'm sending quite a few more than I want back.

You may want to mention on your wish list that I'm sponsoring you so he'll know that your are the right Annie.