Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

UPDATE: Part 2: Theme Garden Seed Swap

sandlapper_rose
15 years ago

If anyone is still trying to decide, yes, we would like you to join in on this swap! We are still taking signups for a few weeks. Read more about this swap on the earlier thread.

Jeanne

Comments (89)

• mommyto2
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Guys!!
    I'm starting my seed sorting operation, but I wanted to ask a quick question. Should I go ahead and send out my questionaire now (through email) or should I send it with my seed package?
    I love that snow, here in NC, we don't get much of it. It seems your son is having a great time!!

Monica

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Monica,
    Either way is fine.
    Vic,
    That is an amazing snowfall! I love how white and pretty it looks when it first arrives.

Jeanne

• gingerbreadgirl
    15 years ago

Hello all, Did I miss any important business? Been in hospital for a week.
    I will have Chocolate Soldier columbine seed, Little Lantern columbine, rose of sharon, datura-white,silver mullen,2 purples aster,blue balloon flower,Tall pink plox,Purple wisteria,"Bloody Mary"-rose campion,Blue morning glory,Holly Hocks and more. All my seed haven't dried out yet.
    your friend at GW

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Gingerbread, I hope everything is ok with you now!
    I would love some columbine and wisteria (I would only need a few of each) I have not had luck with wisteria even though I've heard it can be invasive, but I'm not done trying yet! lol
    Vicky

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sure hope you are feeling lots better, Gingerbreadgirl!
    Vic, we have wisteria here as well and it just grows wild. I think I saw some seeds on the vines near the road so if they look ready to be picked, I will send you a few also. Maybe between the two types you will have some luck.
    No seeds arrived today - the post office was closed.
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

nikkineel,
    Your seeds arrived today. Thanks for being so organized with what you sent and for the stamps for return postage. What a great group of swappers - everyone is making this easy for me!
    Jeanne

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Jeanne ~ I must have missed this one but do you still have any of the Gaillardia Red Plume to share?? I would LOVEEE a few seeds of that!!!!!!!!

You should see my bed AND desk right now it is COVERED w/ seed packets as I sort thru them all...lol

~Wendy

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wendy-
    I have enough Gaillardia Red Plume for several more trades so I will mark a packet for you. It seemed easy to grow. I winter sowed it.
    For veggie folks, I have some Red Popper Pepper seeds that I can share. The pepper plants grow the regular size but the peppers are small and red. Very tasty! If someone especially wants to get these, let me know. I'm sure I saved enough seeds for at least 4 people - maybe more. I haven't packed them up yet.
    I also have lots of assorted Rudbeckia seeds. They were supposed to be certain varieties, but I think the seeds may have come to me scrambled. I had different heights and some had brown markings and some were all yellow. Anyway, they bloomed well for most of the summer and I still have a few in bloom. I will also have some basil seed available.
    Jeanne

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Thanks Jeanne for the wisteria, I don't know why, but there are a couple "invasives" I can't get to grow for me! LOL

Wendy, I'm glad I'm not the only one that makes a mess while getting organized!

Vic

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Just four days away and we're done accepting new swappers.... ANYONE ELSE WANT IN?

Blessings,
    Angela

• booberry85
    15 years ago

My seeds went out today! I'm excited about the swap.

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

My seeds went out today.......

and then I found an envelope full of 'postage' ((I think)) on the desk (blasted seeds have taken over my whole house)

Jeanne
    if my envelope arrives without postage please let me know and I will send this out right away.

Frances

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Jeanne, if the poppers aren't claimed by anyone else, I would like a pack please, I want to grow some diff. pepper var. for my salsa this year. But go ahead and let anyone else who is interested have them first, I'm not sure how many packets I will have to send in and don't want to "claim" too many things : )
    Vic

• drippy
    15 years ago

I sent my seeds today as well, but didn't enclose quite enough postage, so I am sending along a separate envelope with some more stamps.

• etravia
    15 years ago

I'm still packing away here! I plan on sorting things out on Sunday, & mailing Monday.
    That snow make me cold!
    Maggie

• roflol
    15 years ago

Packing for the next few days, then mailing off.

I have a few items that I will only include on requests as they are fairly common (I will send my surplus to one of the newbie swaps or wintersown, or something). Please post here if you want:

Oenothera O. lamarckiana - info here
    This is the "afternoon" yellow primrose (opens in afternoon and stays open until morning, several blooms open at a time); very pretty bright clear yellow, not as golden as the picture shows - annual

Blackberry lily - peachy orange base with pinky tones, flecked pattern - perennial, blooms second year

Queen Anne's Lace (wild carrot) - butterflies love, I just think they look nice... came as an uninvited guest in my garden and I hope it comes back next year. :]

Echinacea purpura - "Purple coneflower" - the ubiquitous pinky-purple coneflower. Nature's butterfly and bird feeders. Perennial, blooms second year. If left to seed, birds will help this plant spread, but easy to transplant. With chaff.

Echinacea pallida "Pale coneflower" - wilder, ganglier sister to E. purpura. I got a hunk of plant from Mom's and it bloomed this year, so I have not yet grown from seed but will be trying this along with everybody else. Perennial, blooms second year. Have not seen evidence of spread yet. With chaff.

Eryngium Planum (Flat sea holly) - interesting plant, a bit on the prickly side but not excessively so. Blooms, upper stems, and some leaves turn a cool metallic-looking blue when maturing.

Malva/Mallow/French Hollyhock may be Zebrina, not sure - from plant which was grown from seed that trader was not sure if it was Zebrina or not. Blooms are magenta/purple and have veining, but I am not an expert; they all look so similar to me! It is pretty and I continue to grow it and hope it spreads more. Prolific seeder.

I also have some Gaillardia "Burgundy" I dead-headed from a big box store... Plantfiles has conflicting info - gives seed-saving instruction, also says seed is sterile/doesn't grow true. It's really pretty, though, and I'm keeping some to wintersow (plant is perennial to zone 4a); anybody else want to give this a try? I have enough for two people. With chaff.

Terri
    :]

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Terri,
    I would like some of your Eryngium planum, please!
    Thanks, Alana

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

I would like some of the Primrose, please!

I'm arguing with the printer the last few days about whether or not it's going to print my labels, etc. But, I should have my envelope ready to mail out by Wednesday or Thursday when I get another day off. Just need to finish breaking down my bulks into trade packets and label them (hard to do when the printer doesn't wanna do it's job. I told it yesterday that if I have to do it's job, it's fired and I'll get another printer who WILL do it's job to replace it! :P )

Kathy

• suecirish
    15 years ago

Terri,
    I think I woould like some of the Eryngium planum too please if you have enough.
    Sue

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Terri, I would love some primrose, blackberry lilly, pale coneflower and Gaillardia Please!
    Vicky

• mommyto2
    15 years ago

I sent my seeds out today, but forgot to get the delivery confirmation. I hope that's not too problematic. But I can send you more stamps to make up the postage if it's really needed. Just let me know and I'll get them out asap.

Terri, I would just love some of you blackberry lillies and queen ann's lace if you still have some. Thanks so much!!

Monica

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Terri,
    If you have enough add some Burgundy Gaillardia, Queen Anne's Lace and Sea Holly for me. I planted Sea Holly and Burgundy Gaillardia last year when I winter sowed, but they didn't make it so I will try again.

Two envelopes of seeds arrived today - from Frances and Melissa. Thanks, ladies. The seeds are packaged beautifully. Melissa I saw the stamps you had enclosed. Frances, I checked your envelope twice and I think that you are right that the postage did not make it into the envelope. That's fine for you to mail it separately.

We got some rain yesterday so that sure was a welcome treat!
    Jeanne

• roflol
    15 years ago

Yay! I will earmark seeds per requests. Gaillardia Burgundy is now out, but all the others I still have puh-lenty of and am not sending my seeds for a couple more days so if there are more requests please feel free to post. :D

Congrats on the rain, Jeanne! :]

Terri

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Monica,
    As long as you sent postage for your puffy envelope to come back to you, don't worry about sending more postage for delivery confirmation. I will handle it. Seems silly to pay for another stamp just to send one to me. It's fine.
    Jeanne

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Jeanne, I wish I had read your original post sooner I would have joined, but I don't have ANY theme going at all yet so I was a little slow in peeking in on this one, because that is whay I thought it was for. OUR themes NOT others, well duh! Now it is a little too late to join I wouldn't have time to get anything packed or ready and I don't really have any fresh from the garden seeds myself. BUT if you do this one next year I will be ready for it I tell yah!

Ya'll have fun and enjoy everything you receive. It was fun reading this post!

:) Fran

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fran (ncgardengirl) -
    We would love to have you join in if you are interested. Tomorrow is the last day to sign up, but you have until the end of the month to send your seeds. If you only want to send a "few" seeds (25 packs or less) I know it will work out so that I have some seeds you will enjoy - there is a big group and a good selection of seeds - even from the few packs that have come in so far.
    I think Kim (drippy) will be back to do this swap next year and there may be someone doing sort of a Theme Garden Seed Swap II after the Christmas holidays... I coordinated with Kim on filling in for her this year and felt that I had to do the swap a bit earlier than she had been doing it - just wanted to get all the seeds sorted and on their way by December 1 so I could focus on the holidays and I like to have my new seeds for Jan. 1 so I can start winter sowing.
    If your e-mail is listed I will send you the instructions and questionnaire in case you want to join in! Would love to have you!
    Jeanne

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Jeanne
    I will be sending a second envelope with postage on Monday... not sure what happened, but the envelope of seeds got mailed without it. Sorry about that, I got too excited when my seeds were all packed up I guess!

Frances

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Whew! I think I finaly got my seeds together! whoo hoo!
    I don't know how you girls that are sending in 100+ packs do it.

Now, I have some Hosta seeds no id large leaf dark green rec'd this year, anyone interested?

Also, these are seeds I rec'd in 2007 and don't know how old they are, if anyone is interested I'll tag them and send in.
    pink Malva
    Texas star hibiscus
    Taplow (blue thistle globe)
    Scabiosa - Martha Stewart white
    Blue Butterfly
    Orange Butterfly Flower
    Spearmint
    Detroit Beet

I also have some pink Mimosa Tree seeds marked "trade 06"

I don't know the life of these seeds, so if there are no takers I think I will throw them out in my field this year for winter sowing and see what happens...

And, does anyone know the life span of clematis seeds???

Vic

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Vic Clematis has to be fresh to germinate. I can't remember exactly HOW son off the plant they have to be but if they get some age on them they are no good anymore.

I am working on getting some seeds together.

:) Fran

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad to have you join in, ncgardengirl!!!
    Do you have some particular plants or colors in mind that you would like for your garden? Flowers? Veggies? Herbs? All of them? Give us some hints. Okay?
    This is so much fun!
    Jeanne

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Fran, I'm glad you decided to join! I have a pack of seeds for you!! : )
    Vic

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Ok, so I got a little carried away! I just bought 10,000 (yes 4 zeros!) plains coreopsis seeds off ebay! LOL
    I don't know what got into me, I hate that site! I'm not sure if I will get them in time to mail in, I'm hoping I do, they should be in the mail to me today. If I get them soon enough, would anyone like some??? I think I will have enough to share!
    I can't guaruntee that you will get them, I don't want to miss my mail in date, but if they come in I will have the seed envies ready and labeled for those that want them.

Vic

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Hi Vic,

If you could spare a few seeds, I wouldn't mind some!

• suecirish
    15 years ago

Jeanne,
    Put my seeds in the mail to you today. I hope I didn't forget anything!
    Sue

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just wanted to let Becky, Kim, and Monica know that your seeds arrived today. Everyone has been so organized with how they have things divided up and labeled. Thank you so much! I also found the stamps in all three envelopes so you are all squared away. I may start sorting them a little late next week... waiting for more to come in and hope I can get it done in just a few weeks. We'll see... wow, there are lots of seeds!
    Vic, that is just too funny about you and eBay - wow, 10,000 seeds!!! I shop on eBay sometimes, too. It's fun. I must admit though I've never bought 10,000 of anything. LOL
    I'll keep posting as seeds come in, but I will be away Fri. - Sun. at a quilting retreat. It's lots of fun - classes, relaxation, and the place prepares all of our meals. Boy, I sure hate to cook again when I first get home. (Don't worry, my husband will still be at home so the envelopes with the seeds will be brought inside.)
    Jeanne

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Vic, could you label some of the Spearmint for me? I don't know if I have anything you would want, though. If so, please, let me know, and I'll be sure to send it in!

Blessings,
    Angela

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Yeah! I'm so glad my seeds are there. It didn't take long at all. I just sent them on friday. I was going to check the DC# yesterday, but got distracted.

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    15 years ago

Vic...I would love some of your Plains Coreopsis if you have extras to spare!

I have A LOT of fresh seeds of:

Allium Drumstick
    Daylily - Pardon Me
    Daylily - Stella D'Oro
    Daylily - Frans Hals
    Gaillardia Fanfare
    Gaillardia Burgundy
    Gaillardia Dazzler
    Gaillardia Arizona Sun
    Gaura - Whirling Butterflies
    Calendula Sherbet Fizz
    Blue Satin Rose of Sharon
    Hibiscus Galaxy
    Hibiscus Fantasia
    Hollyhock - Single -Pale Frilly Lilac,hints of green/white
    Hollyhock - Single - Rich Violet
    Lantana - Landmark Blaze

....if someone wants me to package some for them, let me know!

Jeanne, I hope to have my envie ready to mail by Saturday.

Lisa

• mommyto2
    15 years ago

Thans for letting me know Jeanne. Lisa, I would just love the gaura and hibiscus fantashia.

Thanks so much!!

Monica

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Lisa,
    If you have enough, I would love some of the Lantana, Landmark Blaze and the single pale lilac hollyhock.
    Thanks!!! Alana

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These are seeds that were listed that I would like if you haven't mailed yet and they are still available. If you have mailed, don't worry a bit about them. I was just trying to give others a chance to claim them if they wanted.

From Vic:
    Taplow (blue thistle globe)

From Lisa:
    Daylily - Pardon Me
    Gaura - Whirling Butterflies
    (...but only if you have a second packet. I managed to winter sow this successfully but I think only two seedlings survived and now with this drought we had this year, not sure any are still alive...)
    Calendula Sherbet Fizz

The mail already arrived today and no new seed envlopes to report. I'll bet some show up tomorrow!

Jeanne

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Lisa ~ I would LOVEE some of your Gaillardia 'Dazzler', 'Arizona Sun' and 'Hibiscus Fantasia' if you still have some to share!

Vic ~ I'd also love some of your TX Star Hibiscus! Is it the red or the white?

I just finally REALLY sorted thru my seeds, have them in ABC order to make them easier to locate.. Gosh I had no idea I had so many seeds! lol I'll try to post an offer of those I have lots of in the next few days so anyone can claim them. :)

Take care!
    Wendy

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I may have listed this before, but if not:
    I have many red salvias blooming and setting seed. I am not sure which are which - I planted at least four types this year. Anyway, they have done well for me despite a rough summer and they continue to bloom as the weather turns to fall. If anyone wants a packet of assorted red salvia, let me know. I will easily have multiples to share.
    I also have white - variety unknown. They have done well also. Can trade more than one packet of these.
    I also have balsam impatients. These grow very well for me. The variety I have planted is Peppermint Stick. When I replant from them I get mostly blossoms that include both red and white, but some turn out to be a solid color.
    That's all I can think of to list for now.
    Wouldn't you know I went out to try to take pictures today and all the rechargeable batteries were dead. Maybe I can remember to get out there tomorrow. I planted some morning glories under a sweet gum tree and the vines went about 15 feet or higher up into the tree so I have white blossoms in the sweet gum tree. I think they are Pearly Gates. I will have to try that again next year!

Jeanne

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    well I got my very chunky envie out today, I think i found something for everyone.
    have a great retreat, I would love something like that.
    I just got started sewing again, it had been several years since I had the time.
    well see ya all later
    michelle

• roflol
    15 years ago

Heya, Lisa... if you still these available, would appreciate:

Daylily - Frans Hals
    Allium Drumstick

Question - I have tried and tried with several ornamental alliums for two years, finally got one to come up this past winter... is there a trick to these from seed? Should I *not* be trying to wintersow them?

I must have potted up 15 containers over the past two winters, at least 50 seeds, and just the one has come up (Purple Sensation if I remember right, didn't bloom yet, this is its first year). Just wondering if I'm messing something up.

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Jeanne, I would really enjoy some of your mixed reds and the white salvias. Are they various heights? I'm working hard on my butterfly and hummingbird beds and have the deep blue, but they were seeding when I got them, from another gardener locally from her beds, and I don't think I managed to gather any. The reds and white would be gorgeous with them!

I'm doing all my labels, dividing down into individual trades tomorrow and hopefully mailing off Thursday. I'm so sorry I'm pushing the deadline. I'm having to replace that printer after all. But I'm off work tomorrow and apparently it's going to be too rainy and chilly for me to be out planting bulbs, so I'll have all day to get my envelope together :)And with my new digital postage scale, I can weigh and print my postage and Delivery Confirmation! WooHoo!!!

Kathy

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

I've got the seeds listed for;

Boo - coreopsis

Angela - spearmint (I would love some of your Sunflower Russian Mammoth if you can spare a few)

Lisa - Coreopsis (I would love some
    Gaillardia Fanfare
    Gaillardia Arizona Sun
    Calendula Sherbet Fizz
    Hibiscus Fantasia
    If they are still avail.)

Jeanne - Taplow (blue thistle globe)
    (yes please can I get some salvias and impatients)

Wendy - Hibiscus (the color will be a surprize for both of us : )

Let me know if I missed anything!

Wow, this is exciting! I'm hooked on WS and I haven't even done it yet! LOL

I am also including 2 packs of Carrots "short and sweet" these are for hard soils so if anyone wants to claim them that have hard heavy soil........

Jeanne, I don't know how you are doing it! I can barely keep up with the posts, and you have to sort the seeds too!

Vic

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    15 years ago

Roflol,

Here is a site that might be helpful:

http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/plantguide/allium-sphaerocephalon-drumstick-onion-round-headed-garlic.aspx

I have Drumstick coming up everywhere, so my seeds must germinate fairly easy. Hope this helps. - Lisa

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Jeanne ~ I would love some of your white Salvias! They would look lovely for a 'daytime' look in my moon garden! :)

I know what you mean about those rechargeable batteries! lol Everytime I need to use my camera it seems like they're dead! argghh!

Thanks,
    Wendy

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think everyone will know that sign ups for the swap are closed now. We need time for the seeds to travel!

At least on my computer, this has begun to load very slowly so I am going to start a Part 3. I do apologize - someone's seeds arrived today and I don't have the name in here with me to post it. Will try to get back online later and do that. It has been a very busy week and I am going out of town on Friday and have a ton of stuff to pack. That is the bad part of a quilting retreat... you just about have to take your sewing room with you! LOL

Jeanne