Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
UPDATE: Part 2: Theme Garden Seed Swap

Posted by sandlapper_rose z7B-8A SC (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 4, 08 at 15:50

If anyone is still trying to decide, yes, we would like you to join in on this swap! We are still taking signups for a few weeks. Read more about this swap on the earlier thread.
Jeanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: UPDATE: Part 2: Theme Garden Seed Swap

With the exception of shellfreak, cottageflowers, flowers1, and babcia, I think I got all of the e-mail messages out to those who signed up so far. Shellfreak, cottageflowers, flowers1, and babcia, I noticed that many people were having problems getting their messages earlier this year if it was not sent directly to them. Maybe that has been resolved. Anyway, I am trying to use direct e-mail to avoid problems. If you send your e-mail address to me that would be great and I will respond by using it. If not, I will give GardenWeb referred e-mail a try. Okay?
I will recheck my list to try to make sure everyone else has had an e-mail message sent to them.
I will post here as seeds come in. Keep sharing ideas and pre-arranging whatever trades you like. I know it will be exciting once the seeds start to arrive - both at my house and at yours!
If you haven't signed up yet, don't miss out on this fun swap. Even if you only have a few packets of seed to trade, it will be lots of fun.
Jeanne

o

Hi. I wanted to get this new list in at the top of the old thread.

10/4/08
ADDED: Mommyto2, Isamae
UPDATED: Vic_zn5, Jaleeisa, Nikkineel

9/30/08 ADDED: Fcoffil, Jaleeisa, Gingerbreadgirl, Sunset_in, Lisam627_ohio_Z6, Cottageflowers. CHANGED: Booberry85

Andreab ~ Blue/Dk Purple, Hummer/Bfly, Childrens (animal, orange/yellow)

angelady ~ Flowering vines, edible berries (any fruit), unusual veggies/herbs

babcia ~ Red, blue

booberry85 ~ Dr Seuss (veggies & flowers), purple (veggies & flowers), witch/alchemist (herb), Hot/Sun ("sun, hot, blazing" in name or yellow or red veggies & flowers), autumn harvest (veggies & flowers)

bri_fly ~ Love

Cottageflowers ~ Salvias, Sunflowers, Hummer/Bird/Bfly, Vines/Climbers, Veggie/herb (plum tomatoes, basil)

drippy ~ Kings, queens, royal court, English, praise, SC Natives, ocean, music, herb, everlastings, gemstone, astrology/astronomy

etravia ~ Herbs, zinnias, white (moon garden)

Fcoffil ~ "Faux Tropical" 'over the top' foliage & flowers with 'tropical' look, but can stand dry heat, annuals, perennials, vines whatever. Has canna (which is tropical), castor beans, sweetpotato vines, datura, elephant ears. Herbs, scent & foliage, has culinary

flower1 ~ Container (low), columbines, daisy (not white or yellow), clematis

ghoghunter ~ Birds/bfly, natives, climbing, veggies, red, gourds galore

gingerbreadgirl ~ Tea Garden (to make or flavor tea), Fall, late bloomers, Old timey medicinal, dessert Garden (food or drink names), Pink & yellow garden

grovespirit ~ Fairytale (annual< 14"), small space edible flowers, herbs, asian

Isamae ~ Hummer, herbs

jaleeisa ~ Fairy Wonderland, Miniatures/dwarfs (roses & any other), Gnome Home, Gargoyle/Gothice, Frog Bog, Hum & Flutter, Shade Tree Gardener, Naughty Garden, (name or look), Sons Gardens (11 & 8), Daylilies, lilies, iris, cannas, vines for hummers, veggies, black mondo grass

laura_from_hamilton ~ "Katies special" Anything special or named Katie, Beauty in shade, Heuchera, Tiarella, Coral Bells

Lisam627_ohio_Z6 ~ Camo (green, brown, chocolate, black, white), Patriotic (R/W/B), Zinnias, GW Member Favorite Seeds

micrey ~ Hummer, Purple/Yellow bfly, Red/Wht/True Blue, Orange you lovely, Columbine, Garden friends/my favorite, Timmy's Garden (easy, 6 year old)

Mommyto2 ~ Frangrant, shade, hummer/Bfly, fall, red

nikkineel ~ Bible, Fairy, fragrant

Poisondartfrog ~ Vines/Climbers, witches garden, foliage garden, zinnias

rbrady ~ Red/hummer, interesting foliage, pink/white (low<12"), native trees/shrubs, containers

roflol ~ "Wishful thinking!", steppables (no bee's), Chocolate or Spicy scent, Names: Abby, Adam, Anna, Aaron, Timothy. Okra Red Burgundy, Agastache Apricot Sprite hyssop, Agastache rupestris - Sunset hyssop, Amaranthus caudatus Candelabra -Candelabra Amaranth, Baby Corn, Chilean Glory Vine, any color, yellow coneflower, Salvia - Cambridge Blue,Sensitive Plant - Mimosa Pudica Zaluzianskya capensis - Night Phlox

sandlapper_rose ~ Red/White, windmill (Pink/blue/white), short plts to go in rose garden, Herb, Neopolitan (choc.Straw. Vanilla), Gems & fine Jewels, Tropical, Herb, Angel, Spook-tacular, Veggies

sassybutterfly ~ Bfly, Dragon, fairies, folklore, orange, purple, blue & chocolate, moon, cottage, daylilies & vines, water garden, shade/woodland, odds & ends

shellfreak ~ Bfly, Sunflower, Nature (birds/Iguanas eat!)

stagerat ~ Mostly perennials, Red, True blue, Xeric/Sand (alpines), Fall interest, short (<8"), Fun foliage, heritage, (no columbines), Names: Jill Renee, Brian, Nancy, Scott, John, Lorraine, Annette, Emily, China, Lithuania, France, Belgium, Germany

Sunset_in ~ Herbs, Fall harvest (decoration)

Sueirish ~ Irish, Celtic, English,Scottish, Welsh. Bfly, Herb/Medicinal

Vic_zns ~ sunflowers (lots!), vines for sons fort, fairy/gnome, tropical, hot/dry.

wind_red Herbs, morning glories (yellow, red, white, bi or multi color), purple garden, white garden

I've been collecting & packing seeds like crazy! I hope to find something for everyone!
Thanks,
Maggie

o

Thanks for keeping up with the list for us, Maggie! That is sooooo helpful.
Have a good weekend.
Jeanne

o

Maggie, you are doing such a good job keeping that list updated, could you come over and help me get MY list together? lol

Jeanne, yep, got mine! Thanks

Vic

o

Ha! Thanks but no thanks, Vic.
Inventory control is my line of work. This is a piece of cake compared to file maintenance, order entry & customer service!
Jeanne, I got mine too!
Thanks
Maggie

o

For those that want to refer to the old thread for more details on this swap:

Part 1: Theme Garden Seed Swap

~Angela

o

I have a question, I have some seeds that I rec'd last yr, but I don't know how old they are, since this is for 07 seeds and newer, should I list them and if anyone is interested knowing they may be 2 or more yrs old I can send them to that person? I have more than what I can use and don't see the need to keep saving them. I don't know which seeds last yrs and which ones don't.
Thanks,
Vicky

o

I'd say list them, Vic. I know that there are a large number of seeds that are still viable with a high germination rate for five + years. I know most people prefer seeds within the last two years, but depending on the seed, I've never had a problem with seeds within 3-4 years old. Some things, like clivia and hellebores usually need to be pretty fresh for a good germination rate. *shrug* but my Dad use to only buy okra seed every 5-6 years and they were still viable to close to 100 %. I've gotten various flower seeds that were 2+ years old and still had about a 90% germination. I'd be interested to see what you have :) If someone's interested, you've forewarned that they could possibly be 2 years old.

Kathy

o

I have some fresh seeds from a Native Trumpet vine. Loved by Hummingbirds and by me. Beautiful clusters of orange red trumpet shaped flowers from late summer into fall (in this area)

This plant does have a bad reputation for becoming invasive if left to its own devices. (not bad like multiflora roses or japanese honey suckle,) But I have not had any problem with it that picking the seed pods and pruning could not take care of. I would not recomend it for anyone who has children because it can cause skin irritation (I wear gloves)

If anyone is interested in trying these seeds let me know. I will send them. The seed will likely need to be sown in the fall or refridgerated for a couple of months to germinate.

I have included a link to Wikipedia with photos, this plant has beautiful foliage too.
Frances

Here is a link that might be useful: Wiki Info on Trumpet Vine

o

Hi Jeanne and maggie. I have some seeds I'd like to donate to your swap. Can I get an address to send them along to?

o

I almost have my seeds ready to go-just waiting a few more days to make sure I don't miss a late arrival.
Jeanne, I will have a little over the top limit of 100 assigned backs. Try to pretend it is only 100, please! As later people joined, I was loathe to go back and take away seeds I had already marked for people to keep the number low.
I have had enormous fun finding at least one pack for each person!
Thank you for hosting this, Alana

o

Thanks floodthelast for your seed offer. I will be happy to send extra postage to help cover expenses if needed for the extra seeds, Jeanne. I'm new to seed harvesting so I'm probably not going to be able to send as many seeds as some of you. I'm getting together what I know how to harvest as well as some commercial packs. Looking forward to a great swap! Nikki

o

If anyone in particular wants to claim these I have:
1 trade of Tithonia Red Hot Poker
1 trade of Echinacea 'White Swan'
2 traeds Gaillardia 'Red Plume'
1 trade Sunflower Choco Sun
3 trades Eupatorium rugosum 'Chocolate'
I will be posting more to share soon. I have to collect more seeds and check on ones I collected earlier to see if they are dry enough to pack.

We have a great group but I am still hoping a few more gardeners will join is. Is anyone being shy? Do you there is no theme to your garden? Well add a few gnomes and call it a gnome garden or add some red, white, and blue flowers and the theme can be patriotic. It's everything from the camo garden to jewels and gem stores. You can join in with just a few packets of seeds and will almost assuredly get more back.
I spent many years not bothering to collect seeds, but as much as they cost nowdays, its's a great idea and someone will be happy to get your seeds and you will be happy to get theirs. When your seeds arive, we want you to be like the kid in the candy store!!!
Jeanne

o

Morning everyone! LOL, I didn't realize just how quickly I'd manage to put together 100 packets! I'm almost there already and am still not finished going through everything! Then I have a new seed order coming in a few days too! So, I want to make sure that I'm clear here, we can send in 100 packets, plus 20 bonuses and anything that's earmarked for someone?

Oh, and Frances, I would love to have some of the Native Trumpet Vine, please!

Jeanne, I would really enjoy the
Tithonia Red Hot Poker
Echinacea 'White Swan
Eupatorium rugosum 'Chocolate'

They will fit well in a couple of my gardens!

And if there's someone who would like to join, but have no seeds to send in, I'd be happy to send some extras and have the swap for them go to a newbie who doesn't have seeds to send in. I will sponsor 1 newbie, who has joined GW within the last month and meets the following requirements:

1. Has joined GW within the last month
2.Has a trade page up with email, a blurb and at least a wants list.
3. Will promise to "pass it on" once they have things to share with another newbie :)
4. Post your themes here, or even a theme you'd like to start. Even if it's just basic flowers or veggies :)

So, if there's a newbie wanting to join and being shy about it, post here that you want to be claimed as a sponsored newbie, and email me as well with some info about you and your mailing address so I can put it on the mailing label fr it to be returned to you.

Jeanne, I will mail my sponsored person's seeds separately from mine and include a mailing label with their address, if that's alright with you.

Kathy

o

Kathy, that is so nice of you!
Newbies, heres some good themes:
Annuals
Perennials
Veggies
Vines
Shrubs

That should cover it!
Maggie

o

Kathy, that is nice of you!!

That is also very generous of floodthelast to donate her seeds. I'm thinking, considering the amount of seeds she sent me, and the amt she has sent to others, that she may have broken into the Burpee Seed Co. and cleaned them out! LOL

o

Okay, you read it here first, gardeners, we would like some more to join in since there will be LOTS of seeds - it would be especially good if we can get a few newbies! Kathy, that is a very kind offer you made.
My thought with the rules was that you would send 100 seeds that relate in some way to the participants' themes. (That would be 100 packs total even if you have specically arranged a trade ahead of time.) Then the 20 bonus seeds are packs that you can send that do not need to be related to anyone's theme. I will decide what theme they may go with or just send those to newbies who can use them.
Does that help?
No, I will not count each seed packet as them come in so if there appear to be more than 120 packs total, you can get away with cheating a little. LOL I want to get through sorting them and get them back out the door in about 4 weeks - and no, I won't be sorting seeds full-time in order to do it. (I have a smile on my face in saying that.) For anyone who sends in 100 packs or less, I want you to get a few more - maybe many more - than what you send so I will be counting those or you can give me a count when you fill out the questionnaire.
Have a great day and thanks to everyone for their geneorsity to those who are participating.
Jeanne

o

Hi Jeanne, I would be interested in your red plume gaillardia if you still have some left. Thanks! Isamae

o

Hi everyone,
I would love to join in! I was a little leary at first but after reading the whole post- I am no longer intimidated don't want to mess it up lol. Jeanne I liked your commet about the chaff lol.

This has ben my first year ws and seed collecting!

I have a bf & hummer garden and a "succulent garden"
would love to do a vine & climber one

thanks Jeanne this sounds like a lot of work for you

Annette
Oh I can't get my member page to show my e-mail it is
campbell306@hotmail.com

o

Welcome, Annette. We are happy to have you join us!
Isamae and Kathy, I will have those seeds marked for you. Will try to post a few more types of seeds in case someone wants something earmarked for them.
Jeanne

o

Hi again all! Jeanne, I know you probably said this earlier but I'm putting my seeds together to send and I have a few questions. I have been going through the list of everyone's gardens and placing a postit note on each pack noting the person and garden it would work for. I am sending mostly commercial packs because I'm new to seed harvesting and starting from seed. I hope to start wintersowing this year so next year I will be better prepared to share. Anyway, I'm trying to get at least one pack per person, Is this ok? What size bubble envy will you need these sent in? Approximately, how much postage will you need for the return? Is there anything else I need to include? Thanks for answering and I'm sorry if this is a repeat. Nikki

o

Nikki,
You sound like you have this organized very well and thanks for the time you took to send something for each person. That is not required because obviously some will not have the ability to do that, but a very thoughtful thing to do. Be assured that with the overall collection of seeds, there will be seeds for everyone. It all works out somehow. In terms of your envelope, you may want to judge the size by whether it will hold 50% more packets of seeds beyond what you are sending. I am not sure there will be that many extra (bonus) seeds, but it's better to be a little too big than a little too small. What some people do to determine the postage is to leave the envelope unsealed until after the post clerk weighs and measures it and then you can just purchase that amount in stamps, drop them in the envelope, and seal it up to send.
Did you receive the e-mail message from me with the instructions and questionnaire? I would like to get a completed questionnaire back from each person so it would be great if you complete that and include it in the envelope and a return address label as well. (That does not have to be an actual "label" just a sturdy piece of paper with your name and address written legibly or typed that I can use when the envelope is sent back to you.)
Thanks for joining in.
Jeanne

o

Nikki, extra postage would be very welcome. I'll email you.

Vic, this time it is all flowers since everyone has been generous with me and I have extra and things I don't have room for. Not so much full sun here, and a toddler to boot.

o

Hey Flood, you know you could join in on our swap, there may be something someone has that is on your list wish, from looking at the pic on your page, my guess of a good theme for you would be "water logged" hehe

o

Jeanne ~ I would love some of your Eupatorium rugosum 'Chocolate'. That would be a lovely background plant for my chocolate garden! :) I'll get that questionnaire to you this evening.

Thanks!
~Wendy

o

Someone "helped" me this morning and went ahead and mailed my package while I was gone. I guess it looked ready to go. The questionaire, postage, etc, was all inside so I think everything will be in order.
Alana

o

Wendy, I will put your name on some of the "Chocolate" - LOL
Alana, I'll let you know whne your package arrives. Gee, may I need your helper here. Getting things done early always sounds good.
floodthelast, Vic had a good idea. Maybe there are some seeds we can send you in return. Let me know if you want to sign up so we will know what kind of seeds you might like in return.
We are getting a light rain today! This whole year, rain has always been somewhere else, so we are so happy to see it when it shows up here!
Jeanne

o

Hi - this message is to my fellow players - I am starting to choose and pack seeds for this swap. When I gather seeds from my garden, I package them in coin envelopes. Typically, I give myself first fruits, and write "mine" on the first one, and "trade" - meaning that pack can be traded - on subsequent ones. I realized this might cause confusion; someone receiving my seeds might think they were from a trade. None of the seeds I am sending are from former trades; they are all either from my garden or they are commercial seeds (clearly marked).

Just so you know! :)

o

Jeanne,

I don't think I ever got a questionaire from you. Could you resend it to me? Thanks.

o

Drippy - I'm glad you said that! I totally would of thought otherwise if you hadn't! I only put trade on mine when they're from a trade, and I can't swear by them. LOL

Vic_zn5 - LOL! I was thinking flood must have hit up Burpee as well! hahahahahaha... very generous robinhood there... Thanks, Flood Robinhood!

Jeanne - If I am not totally sure what fits what kind of theme, I sure hope that it's okay just to send everything along with the paperwork. If I know for sure, I will list a theme, otherwise, I'll leave it for you to divvy up. I feel terrible to cause you more work, but I'm so overwhelmed when I see a list and don't know what might go with that theme... KWIM? I can also send pictures with the ones that I know what they will grow up to look like, so that'll make it easier for figuring it out on your end. Does that sound good?

Blessings,
Angela

o

Angela,
The way you suggested to label your seeds so I can divvy them up is just fine. No problem at all.

Flowers1,
Please go to the part of my member page where you can send e-mail to me and send me your e-mail address. Apparently your member page is not set up so I can send e-mail to you without going through GardenWeb. I find we have much more luck if I can e-mail directly to the person.
Thanks,
Jeanne

o

Hi Jeanne, The seeds are on the way! Thanks, Nikki

o

Babcia and Poisondartfrog,
I receieved the bubble envelopes from both of you today. Wow, everything is so nicely organized and clearly labeled! Thank you so much and I did find the stamps that you enclosed along with the seed packets.
I'll keep reporting as they come in and am likely to set up a sorting system in a week or so - I will likely have to do a second sorting before mail out, but it will at least give me a head start. I think this is going to be fun - even for me! (Smiles)
Jeanne

o

Sign-ups are still going on, right? I'm not going to start my final sorting until after the list is finalized, but I don't want to get behind!

o

Is it too much trouble I add one more theme to my list?
We have a small side yard,and I use it for storage.
Last week, my landlord told us that it is too messy and want us to clean them out.So, I have to throw away some of my precious junks.Oh~~it was a truly heart breaking for me.
but now, I have another space to work with even though it is a shady spot, but I think there are some plants do well in shade such as tricyrtis, azaleas, bleeding heart, astilbe, Campanula, Hellebore, toad lily, fox glove, rhododendrens.......anything that grow in shade would be great!thx~

o

Sign-ups continue until the 20th. If anyone wants to sign up though, the sooner the better.
Wind-red, we will look for some seeds that like shade for you. We want you to have a pretty new garden!
Well, gonna run now. A friend and I had a garage sale this morning and gotta get a few things done around here. I suspect it will be an early bedtime for me tonight!
Jeanne

o

floodthelast,
Thank you so much for the seeds that you are sharing with us. Your package arrived yesterday. There is a great assortment of seeds in there. That was one of the kindest things I can think of - you know how we all love seeds!
Jeanne

o

Just thought I would share with you all the weather we are having, I guess this is what they call "Fall" in Montana LOL
These were taken today.......

10-11-2008

1st snow angel 10/11/2008

o

Wow! I really didn't need to see that! Snow is a four letter word!

o

Hi Guys!!
I'm starting my seed sorting operation, but I wanted to ask a quick question. Should I go ahead and send out my questionaire now (through email) or should I send it with my seed package?
I love that snow, here in NC, we don't get much of it. It seems your son is having a great time!!

Monica

o

Monica,
Either way is fine.
Vic,
That is an amazing snowfall! I love how white and pretty it looks when it first arrives.

Jeanne

o

Hello all, Did I miss any important business? Been in hospital for a week.
I will have Chocolate Soldier columbine seed, Little Lantern columbine, rose of sharon, datura-white,silver mullen,2 purples aster,blue balloon flower,Tall pink plox,Purple wisteria,"Bloody Mary"-rose campion,Blue morning glory,Holly Hocks and more. All my seed haven't dried out yet.
your friend at GW

o

Gingerbread, I hope everything is ok with you now!
I would love some columbine and wisteria (I would only need a few of each) I have not had luck with wisteria even though I've heard it can be invasive, but I'm not done trying yet! lol
Vicky

o

Sure hope you are feeling lots better, Gingerbreadgirl!
Vic, we have wisteria here as well and it just grows wild. I think I saw some seeds on the vines near the road so if they look ready to be picked, I will send you a few also. Maybe between the two types you will have some luck.
No seeds arrived today - the post office was closed.
Jeanne

o

nikkineel,
Your seeds arrived today. Thanks for being so organized with what you sent and for the stamps for return postage. What a great group of swappers - everyone is making this easy for me!
Jeanne

o

Jeanne ~ I must have missed this one but do you still have any of the Gaillardia Red Plume to share?? I would LOVEEE a few seeds of that!!!!!!!!

You should see my bed AND desk right now it is COVERED w/ seed packets as I sort thru them all...lol

~Wendy

o

Wendy-
I have enough Gaillardia Red Plume for several more trades so I will mark a packet for you. It seemed easy to grow. I winter sowed it.
For veggie folks, I have some Red Popper Pepper seeds that I can share. The pepper plants grow the regular size but the peppers are small and red. Very tasty! If someone especially wants to get these, let me know. I'm sure I saved enough seeds for at least 4 people - maybe more. I haven't packed them up yet.
I also have lots of assorted Rudbeckia seeds. They were supposed to be certain varieties, but I think the seeds may have come to me scrambled. I had different heights and some had brown markings and some were all yellow. Anyway, they bloomed well for most of the summer and I still have a few in bloom. I will also have some basil seed available.
Jeanne

o

Thanks Jeanne for the wisteria, I don't know why, but there are a couple "invasives" I can't get to grow for me! LOL

Wendy, I'm glad I'm not the only one that makes a mess while getting organized!

Vic

o

Just four days away and we're done accepting new swappers.... ANYONE ELSE WANT IN?

Blessings,
Angela

o

My seeds went out today! I'm excited about the swap.

o

My seeds went out today.......

and then I found an envelope full of 'postage' ((I think)) on the desk (blasted seeds have taken over my whole house)

Jeanne
if my envelope arrives without postage please let me know and I will send this out right away.

Frances

o

Jeanne, if the poppers aren't claimed by anyone else, I would like a pack please, I want to grow some diff. pepper var. for my salsa this year. But go ahead and let anyone else who is interested have them first, I'm not sure how many packets I will have to send in and don't want to "claim" too many things : )
Vic

o

I sent my seeds today as well, but didn't enclose quite enough postage, so I am sending along a separate envelope with some more stamps.

o

I'm still packing away here! I plan on sorting things out on Sunday, & mailing Monday.
That snow make me cold!
Maggie

o

Packing for the next few days, then mailing off.

I have a few items that I will only include on requests as they are fairly common (I will send my surplus to one of the newbie swaps or wintersown, or something). Please post here if you want:

Oenothera O. lamarckiana - info here
This is the "afternoon" yellow primrose (opens in afternoon and stays open until morning, several blooms open at a time); very pretty bright clear yellow, not as golden as the picture shows - annual

Blackberry lily - peachy orange base with pinky tones, flecked pattern - perennial, blooms second year

Queen Anne's Lace (wild carrot) - butterflies love, I just think they look nice... came as an uninvited guest in my garden and I hope it comes back next year. :]

Echinacea purpura - "Purple coneflower" - the ubiquitous pinky-purple coneflower. Nature's butterfly and bird feeders. Perennial, blooms second year. If left to seed, birds will help this plant spread, but easy to transplant. With chaff.

Echinacea pallida "Pale coneflower" - wilder, ganglier sister to E. purpura. I got a hunk of plant from Mom's and it bloomed this year, so I have not yet grown from seed but will be trying this along with everybody else. Perennial, blooms second year. Have not seen evidence of spread yet. With chaff.

Eryngium Planum (Flat sea holly) - interesting plant, a bit on the prickly side but not excessively so. Blooms, upper stems, and some leaves turn a cool metallic-looking blue when maturing.

Malva/Mallow/French Hollyhock may be Zebrina, not sure - from plant which was grown from seed that trader was not sure if it was Zebrina or not. Blooms are magenta/purple and have veining, but I am not an expert; they all look so similar to me! It is pretty and I continue to grow it and hope it spreads more. Prolific seeder.

I also have some Gaillardia "Burgundy" I dead-headed from a big box store... Plantfiles has conflicting info - gives seed-saving instruction, also says seed is sterile/doesn't grow true. It's really pretty, though, and I'm keeping some to wintersow (plant is perennial to zone 4a); anybody else want to give this a try? I have enough for two people. With chaff.

Terri
:]

o

Terri,
I would like some of your Eryngium planum, please!
Thanks, Alana

o

I would like some of the Primrose, please!

I'm arguing with the printer the last few days about whether or not it's going to print my labels, etc. But, I should have my envelope ready to mail out by Wednesday or Thursday when I get another day off. Just need to finish breaking down my bulks into trade packets and label them (hard to do when the printer doesn't wanna do it's job. I told it yesterday that if I have to do it's job, it's fired and I'll get another printer who WILL do it's job to replace it! :P )

Kathy

o

Terri,
I think I woould like some of the Eryngium planum too please if you have enough.
Sue

o

Terri, I would love some primrose, blackberry lilly, pale coneflower and Gaillardia Please!
Vicky

o

I sent my seeds out today, but forgot to get the delivery confirmation. I hope that's not too problematic. But I can send you more stamps to make up the postage if it's really needed. Just let me know and I'll get them out asap.

Terri, I would just love some of you blackberry lillies and queen ann's lace if you still have some. Thanks so much!!

Monica

o

Terri,
If you have enough add some Burgundy Gaillardia, Queen Anne's Lace and Sea Holly for me. I planted Sea Holly and Burgundy Gaillardia last year when I winter sowed, but they didn't make it so I will try again.

Two envelopes of seeds arrived today - from Frances and Melissa. Thanks, ladies. The seeds are packaged beautifully. Melissa I saw the stamps you had enclosed. Frances, I checked your envelope twice and I think that you are right that the postage did not make it into the envelope. That's fine for you to mail it separately.

We got some rain yesterday so that sure was a welcome treat!
Jeanne

o

Yay! I will earmark seeds per requests. Gaillardia Burgundy is now out, but all the others I still have puh-lenty of and am not sending my seeds for a couple more days so if there are more requests please feel free to post. :D

Congrats on the rain, Jeanne! :]

Terri

o

Monica,
As long as you sent postage for your puffy envelope to come back to you, don't worry about sending more postage for delivery confirmation. I will handle it. Seems silly to pay for another stamp just to send one to me. It's fine.
Jeanne

o

Jeanne, I wish I had read your original post sooner I would have joined, but I don't have ANY theme going at all yet so I was a little slow in peeking in on this one, because that is whay I thought it was for. OUR themes NOT others, well duh! Now it is a little too late to join I wouldn't have time to get anything packed or ready and I don't really have any fresh from the garden seeds myself. BUT if you do this one next year I will be ready for it I tell yah!

Ya'll have fun and enjoy everything you receive. It was fun reading this post!

:) Fran

o

Fran (ncgardengirl) -
We would love to have you join in if you are interested. Tomorrow is the last day to sign up, but you have until the end of the month to send your seeds. If you only want to send a "few" seeds (25 packs or less) I know it will work out so that I have some seeds you will enjoy - there is a big group and a good selection of seeds - even from the few packs that have come in so far.
I think Kim (drippy) will be back to do this swap next year and there may be someone doing sort of a Theme Garden Seed Swap II after the Christmas holidays... I coordinated with Kim on filling in for her this year and felt that I had to do the swap a bit earlier than she had been doing it - just wanted to get all the seeds sorted and on their way by December 1 so I could focus on the holidays and I like to have my new seeds for Jan. 1 so I can start winter sowing.
If your e-mail is listed I will send you the instructions and questionnaire in case you want to join in! Would love to have you!
Jeanne

o

Jeanne
I will be sending a second envelope with postage on Monday... not sure what happened, but the envelope of seeds got mailed without it. Sorry about that, I got too excited when my seeds were all packed up I guess!

Frances

o

Whew! I think I finaly got my seeds together! whoo hoo!
I don't know how you girls that are sending in 100+ packs do it.

Now, I have some Hosta seeds no id large leaf dark green rec'd this year, anyone interested?

Also, these are seeds I rec'd in 2007 and don't know how old they are, if anyone is interested I'll tag them and send in.
pink Malva
Texas star hibiscus
Taplow (blue thistle globe)
Scabiosa - Martha Stewart white
Blue Butterfly
Orange Butterfly Flower
Spearmint
Detroit Beet

I also have some pink Mimosa Tree seeds marked "trade 06"

I don't know the life of these seeds, so if there are no takers I think I will throw them out in my field this year for winter sowing and see what happens...

And, does anyone know the life span of clematis seeds???

Vic

o

Vic Clematis has to be fresh to germinate. I can't remember exactly HOW son off the plant they have to be but if they get some age on them they are no good anymore.

I am working on getting some seeds together.

:) Fran

o

Glad to have you join in, ncgardengirl!!!
Do you have some particular plants or colors in mind that you would like for your garden? Flowers? Veggies? Herbs? All of them? Give us some hints. Okay?
This is so much fun!
Jeanne

o

Fran, I'm glad you decided to join! I have a pack of seeds for you!! : )
Vic

o
crazy

Ok, so I got a little carried away! I just bought 10,000 (yes 4 zeros!) plains coreopsis seeds off ebay! LOL
I don't know what got into me, I hate that site! I'm not sure if I will get them in time to mail in, I'm hoping I do, they should be in the mail to me today. If I get them soon enough, would anyone like some??? I think I will have enough to share!
I can't guaruntee that you will get them, I don't want to miss my mail in date, but if they come in I will have the seed envies ready and labeled for those that want them.

Vic

o

Hi Vic,

If you could spare a few seeds, I wouldn't mind some!

o

Jeanne,
Put my seeds in the mail to you today. I hope I didn't forget anything!
Sue

o

Just wanted to let Becky, Kim, and Monica know that your seeds arrived today. Everyone has been so organized with how they have things divided up and labeled. Thank you so much! I also found the stamps in all three envelopes so you are all squared away. I may start sorting them a little late next week... waiting for more to come in and hope I can get it done in just a few weeks. We'll see... wow, there are lots of seeds!
Vic, that is just too funny about you and eBay - wow, 10,000 seeds!!! I shop on eBay sometimes, too. It's fun. I must admit though I've never bought 10,000 of anything. LOL
I'll keep posting as seeds come in, but I will be away Fri. - Sun. at a quilting retreat. It's lots of fun - classes, relaxation, and the place prepares all of our meals. Boy, I sure hate to cook again when I first get home. (Don't worry, my husband will still be at home so the envelopes with the seeds will be brought inside.)
Jeanne

o

Vic, could you label some of the Spearmint for me? I don't know if I have anything you would want, though. If so, please, let me know, and I'll be sure to send it in!

Blessings,
Angela

o

Yeah! I'm so glad my seeds are there. It didn't take long at all. I just sent them on friday. I was going to check the DC# yesterday, but got distracted.

o

Vic...I would love some of your Plains Coreopsis if you have extras to spare!

I have A LOT of fresh seeds of:

Allium Drumstick
Daylily - Pardon Me
Daylily - Stella D'Oro
Daylily - Frans Hals
Gaillardia Fanfare
Gaillardia Burgundy
Gaillardia Dazzler
Gaillardia Arizona Sun
Gaura - Whirling Butterflies
Calendula Sherbet Fizz
Blue Satin Rose of Sharon
Hibiscus Galaxy
Hibiscus Fantasia
Hollyhock - Single -Pale Frilly Lilac,hints of green/white
Hollyhock - Single - Rich Violet
Lantana - Landmark Blaze

....if someone wants me to package some for them, let me know!

Jeanne, I hope to have my envie ready to mail by Saturday.

Lisa

o

Thans for letting me know Jeanne. Lisa, I would just love the gaura and hibiscus fantashia.

Thanks so much!!

Monica

o

Lisa,
If you have enough, I would love some of the Lantana, Landmark Blaze and the single pale lilac hollyhock.
Thanks!!! Alana

o

These are seeds that were listed that I would like if you haven't mailed yet and they are still available. If you have mailed, don't worry a bit about them. I was just trying to give others a chance to claim them if they wanted.

From Vic:
Taplow (blue thistle globe)

From Lisa:
Daylily - Pardon Me
Gaura - Whirling Butterflies
(...but only if you have a second packet. I managed to winter sow this successfully but I think only two seedlings survived and now with this drought we had this year, not sure any are still alive...)
Calendula Sherbet Fizz

The mail already arrived today and no new seed envlopes to report. I'll bet some show up tomorrow!

Jeanne

o

Lisa ~ I would LOVEE some of your Gaillardia 'Dazzler', 'Arizona Sun' and 'Hibiscus Fantasia' if you still have some to share!

Vic ~ I'd also love some of your TX Star Hibiscus! Is it the red or the white?

I just finally REALLY sorted thru my seeds, have them in ABC order to make them easier to locate.. Gosh I had no idea I had so many seeds! lol I'll try to post an offer of those I have lots of in the next few days so anyone can claim them. :)

Take care!
Wendy

o

I may have listed this before, but if not:
I have many red salvias blooming and setting seed. I am not sure which are which - I planted at least four types this year. Anyway, they have done well for me despite a rough summer and they continue to bloom as the weather turns to fall. If anyone wants a packet of assorted red salvia, let me know. I will easily have multiples to share.
I also have white - variety unknown. They have done well also. Can trade more than one packet of these.
I also have balsam impatients. These grow very well for me. The variety I have planted is Peppermint Stick. When I replant from them I get mostly blossoms that include both red and white, but some turn out to be a solid color.
That's all I can think of to list for now.
Wouldn't you know I went out to try to take pictures today and all the rechargeable batteries were dead. Maybe I can remember to get out there tomorrow. I planted some morning glories under a sweet gum tree and the vines went about 15 feet or higher up into the tree so I have white blossoms in the sweet gum tree. I think they are Pearly Gates. I will have to try that again next year!

Jeanne

o

hello
well I got my very chunky envie out today, I think i found something for everyone.
have a great retreat, I would love something like that.
I just got started sewing again, it had been several years since I had the time.
well see ya all later
michelle

o

Heya, Lisa... if you still these available, would appreciate:

Daylily - Frans Hals
Allium Drumstick

Question - I have tried and tried with several ornamental alliums for two years, finally got one to come up this past winter... is there a trick to these from seed? Should I *not* be trying to wintersow them?

I must have potted up 15 containers over the past two winters, at least 50 seeds, and just the one has come up (Purple Sensation if I remember right, didn't bloom yet, this is its first year). Just wondering if I'm messing something up.

o

Jeanne, I would really enjoy some of your mixed reds and the white salvias. Are they various heights? I'm working hard on my butterfly and hummingbird beds and have the deep blue, but they were seeding when I got them, from another gardener locally from her beds, and I don't think I managed to gather any. The reds and white would be gorgeous with them!

I'm doing all my labels, dividing down into individual trades tomorrow and hopefully mailing off Thursday. I'm so sorry I'm pushing the deadline. I'm having to replace that printer after all. But I'm off work tomorrow and apparently it's going to be too rainy and chilly for me to be out planting bulbs, so I'll have all day to get my envelope together :)And with my new digital postage scale, I can weigh and print my postage and Delivery Confirmation! WooHoo!!!

Kathy

o

I've got the seeds listed for;

Boo - coreopsis

Angela - spearmint (I would love some of your Sunflower Russian Mammoth if you can spare a few)

Lisa - Coreopsis (I would love some
Gaillardia Fanfare
Gaillardia Arizona Sun
Calendula Sherbet Fizz
Hibiscus Fantasia
If they are still avail.)

Jeanne - Taplow (blue thistle globe)
(yes please can I get some salvias and impatients)

Wendy - Hibiscus (the color will be a surprize for both of us : )

Let me know if I missed anything!

Wow, this is exciting! I'm hooked on WS and I haven't even done it yet! LOL

I am also including 2 packs of Carrots "short and sweet" these are for hard soils so if anyone wants to claim them that have hard heavy soil........

Jeanne, I don't know how you are doing it! I can barely keep up with the posts, and you have to sort the seeds too!

Vic

o

Roflol,

Here is a site that might be helpful:

http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/plantguide/allium-sphaerocephalon-drumstick-onion-round-headed-garlic.aspx

I have Drumstick coming up everywhere, so my seeds must germinate fairly easy. Hope this helps. - Lisa

o

Jeanne ~ I would love some of your white Salvias! They would look lovely for a 'daytime' look in my moon garden! :)

I know what you mean about those rechargeable batteries! lol Everytime I need to use my camera it seems like they're dead! argghh!

Thanks,
Wendy

o

I think everyone will know that sign ups for the swap are closed now. We need time for the seeds to travel!

At least on my computer, this has begun to load very slowly so I am going to start a Part 3. I do apologize - someone's seeds arrived today and I don't have the name in here with me to post it. Will try to get back online later and do that. It has been a very busy week and I am going out of town on Friday and have a ton of stuff to pack. That is the bad part of a quilting retreat... you just about have to take your sewing room with you! LOL

Jeanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here