Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattygrow5

UPDATE: Part 4 -5th annual whats left on my want list swap

pattygrow5
14 years ago

Well sign-ups are over we have our clickable list and are all busy bees checking and packing. The last thread was at max so here is a new one so we can keep in touch

Patty

Comments (150)

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

There's no minimzing Patty's job...believe me I don't envy Patty in filling the pkgs.

And a big Thank You to Angie as well!!!!!!

You ladies are the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

Ishareflowers, could I please get some of the unnamed red hibiscus, and the Pinot Noir if there's any left? Do you know how tall the red gets, for planting purposes?

To all who have emailed me with requests, you should have received a response by now. Sorry that I took awhile! I was out of town, playing with a kitten, and trying to locate some elusive seeds. Patty, I hope to get a request email from you!

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry to have to change the link for the Compiled List of All Player Wants. I now have my own hosting. The free hosting provider locked me out! PLEASE, use the new link only since it has all the current updates included.

NEW All Player Compiled Want List Page color>size>Blessings,
    Angela

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Morning!

I have one more trade of pinot noir hibiscus left, it's 10 seeds.

STAGERAT, The red unnamed hibiscus was over 5 feet tall with a huge spread, gorgeous!

Lisa

I posted a list of veggie seeds available on the other thread. Please take alook and see if anyone wants them, I don't grow veggies!

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    14 years ago

I'd like the red hibiscus if they haven't been claimed yet. hibiscusfan

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

If there are any hibiscus seeds left, I would love to try some. Thank you,

Toni

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

I've reached 250 packets. I guess I will stop looking at the lists because I will make myself crazy trying to decide which ones to send.
    It was fun looking through everyone's wants.
    Patty, I will be mailing them out to you next week.
    Happy Thursday,
    Alana

• agirlsgirl
    14 years ago

Lisa,I would love these from the list you posted on thread #3,if you still have them:

mizuna
    lettuce mascara
    lettuce summertime
    mustard southern curled
    lettuce crisp mint
    lettuce green oakleaf tango
    cress wrinkled crinkled
    lettuce nevada
    kandy korn
    brussels sprouts long island improved
    lettuce vivian
    Thanks! :)

mao_tse_mom,I love growing all bulb like plants and have "any" on my want list. Feel free to send me some of your DL,they sound really pretty and I love dark and bright colors! :)

I am off to Lowes! ;)

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Lisa, did you see my post on thread #3 about your veggie offer?

Bonnie

• jas_il
    14 years ago

Lisa,I would love these from your previous list, if you still have them:

lettuce mascara
    lettuce vivian

Thanks
    Jasmine #37

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

One more request if anyone has these...
    Does anyone in the group have miniature gourds? I went to a presentation today about grouds and they showed some that were so small that they could be made into jewlery...also, a small one that was the size and shape of an egg.
    Anyway, I am heading over to my want list to add those now. Thanks!
    Jeanne

14 years ago

Jeanne - Miniature gourds used for jewelry sounds awesome! If anyone has more after filling Jeanne's request, I'd sure like a few of them. :-)

Also, I finally got back in to fix the page, so I linked the old page to the new one. There won't be any more hosting problems now. Whew! That really stressed me out!

Blessings,
    Angela

Here is a link that might be useful: NEW All Player Compiled Want List Page

• sandysgardens
    14 years ago

I'm in trouble! I went through everyones' want lists and wrote down everyones name along with wants I could match & special requests I've received. I came up with a list a lot more than I imagined!! I've begun transfering the info onto an excel file and am already up to 171 wants/reqeuests with only 17 participants so far. I looked at the remaining hand written notes I have and I am in BIG Trouble since I know I'm way over 250. I guess I'll finish transfering all the matches/requests and then start editing it down - bummer. Shoot the same thing happened last year, I should have known from the beginning that I would be in trouble.

The good news is, I'm clearing out a few seed packets and hopefully make some happy campers.

Sandy who's buried in seeds

• ollierose
    14 years ago

Sandy,

I totally feel your pain. I've gone through everyone's want lists and compiled a spreadsheet matching everyon'es wants with my haves. It's a total of 587 packs of seed for 69 people! I'm going to have to scale that down quite a bit, but I'm happy to think that I'm going to please a lot of people too!

I'm thinking I see some trades/SASBES going on after this swap! There is no way that I need all these seeds and I'd love to see them go to those that can use them!

I'm also hoping that some of my seeds are going to be ready for harvest in time for the deadline to mail seeds. If not, I think I'll contact people privately and offer those seeds to them once they are ready for mailing. Getting them later is better than never, right?!?!

Diana

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Hi guys,
    I have gone missing for a few days due to migrain headachs,3 days,uggggggg

Lisa, if you have any more hibiscus seeds, i sure would love to have a few.I know i am late,but if you do, great,if not, thank you for the offer.

Perennialfan, I sent you an e mail.

Angela,I can not pull up your page,just click on at the same time.the ctrl,button,and the F key.yes?

hibiscusfan, I have the hosta seed put away for you,:0)

Nice to be back,every one has been busy,how fun.
    cAROL

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello everyone
    I have all the lists surched and came up with too many also but I think I can nock it down a little, I'm just hoping all the seeds are dry soon.
    time to go bag seeds
    happy list surching
    michelle

14 years ago

Carol (just1morehosta) - First, open the page like you would any webpage. It does take a little longer to load since the want list file is so long. When it's fully loaded, press the control button and the F key at the same time. This will open the search box. In Internet Explorer it's a smaller pop up type box. In Firefox, it's a small addition to bottom of the page. I hope this helps. If you still have questions, feel free to email me, and I'll help you more. :-)

Blessings,
    Angela

Here is a link that might be useful: NEW All Player Compiled Want List Page

• pattygrow5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all I had a complaint and I take complaints about the swap seriously and I have to agree the idea of this swap is to get our want lists emptied well people are posting all of these seeds and everyone is requesting them and the people who actually are looking for these seeds aren't going to get them because people requesting them them will
    the idea of saying I have lots of these seeds is one thing but seeds you have smaller amounts of shouldn't be posted thats whats Angelas list can do then the seed will go to someone who is actually looking for it but word or warning using Angelas searchlist if you don't know the common and botanical names someone who wants that seed might not get it because they have called it something else or spelled it wrong

please
    don't post something unless you have lots of it
    I know most of us can't sit at the computer lots of us have to work everyday so it's not fair to those of us who barely have time to check lists and e-mails.

Even though I don't have the time
    I am doing this the old fashioned way personally going thru every list thats part of the fun.
    I don't mean to sound mean but it is my swap and I want everyone to get as many packs from their want lists as possible
    Patty

• bhnash
    14 years ago

You know Patty, I hadn't thought of that, and you are right. I will search the want lists before I post any newly harvested rarer seeds, and be sure to only offer them if I can fill want lists first. Is that okay?

• ollierose
    14 years ago

I agree with you Patty. Now, if complaints are being given, then I'll give mine too. I'll even say it right here on the thread.

Last year (FOURTH annual swap) was my first year in this swap, however I heard about the THIRD annual swap from another GW member. This person never said one word about anyone having complaints about being contacted privately for seeds, for offering small amounts of seed directly on the thread or any other type of disrespect to this swap. They didnt mention it because it didnÂt happen in previous years.

Some of you may think badly of us because we donÂt want to be contacted privately for seeds. ItÂs because thatÂs part of our fun in this swap too. Or for some, itÂs because they have a very busy schedule and simply canÂt do everything. I've only requested a few things and it was honestly because I was tired of seeing # signs all over the place, knowing that people had already promised out their seeds and knowing that it wasnÂt coming to me before my envy even arrived.

Why do those of us that spent time reading have lists and updating our own want lists with things weÂd like only get penalized for wanting to enjoy the surprise? While I see that everyone finds things easier using certain methods, I fear that the running list will cause some to miss out on seeds they've had on their wants list due to botanical vs. common names in addition to spelling mistakes. I do not mean any disrespect to you Angela. There are just a lot of different ways people list seeds and things can be easily missed. That is very apparent if you read the lists rather than running a search for what you have.

I guess I don't understand why so many people keep trying to change your swap, Patty. My opinion is that if people don't like your swap the way it is; then they should start their own swap with their own rules.

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

That's a good point, Patty. I had red hardy hibiscus on my list, but I sure don't need to get 2 types if it means someone else who listed it goes without. Ishareflowers, I'd prefer just the unnamed red, please! That frees up a Pinot Noir for someone.

• rbrady
    14 years ago

I agree, I enjoyed the way the swap was last year. It is truly one of my favorites. I like going through lists then sending the seeds in. It is all a surprise. No offers or requests through posts. I could not possibly keep up with that. Everything offered would be gone by the time I read the threads since I am gone all day. It is Patty's swap and we should let her make the rules, I like her rules:)

Just my 2 cents-Rhonda

• columbine21
    14 years ago

Okay, I'm back...have been very busy at work! Thank you, Angie,for answering my questions and also thank you,Toni.
    Hello, Marty! Thank you for setting the hollyhocks aside for me...I grew my first hollyhock this year and it was GORGEOUS!

Rebekah

14 years ago

I, by no means, think the running list will make it HARDER to get the seeds that you want. Quite the contrary, actually. I also search through every single list manually as well, so there is no reason for things to be overlooked. It makes it easier, not harder, in my opinion. I am fine if everyone doesn't agree, of course. The thing that confuses me on this subject is how you really think my list causes problems. You type in Basil, for instance. If someone has a special basil listed that you don't have, you click next until you get to the kind of basil that you do have or something generic that fits what you have. If someone types in something like Moss Rose instead of Portulaca, then if they do not know the botanical name (or vice versa), would they have known it going through every single word on everyone's have list? I really think this is being blown out of proportion about the running list. It really is the same thing as looking through individually, but it's easier. If you also look through individually, too, it's just a secondary safe-guard. I sure didn't want to start anything with providing this list. I do want you all to know that, and if Patty prefers me to not make it available in the future, I'll certainly abide by her wishes. I will still put the list together for my own uses just simply because, in some cases, like when you find a small amount of something you didn't think of the first time through, you can quickly search and find who wants it. I truly do not see the harm in that. That seed wouldn't have been shared if the running list wasn't available. Do you know what I mean?

Blessings,
    Angela

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

This is only my second swap,i agree with Patty,i never thought about it the way Patty has explained it,and it is only fair, i was just trying to be helpful,to every one,but now i realize, it is not the way to do this.
    So, if you can, remove my name from the contact list,to bad this was not drawn to our attention sooner,sorry Patty,and thank you for sticking to you "oldfashioned way".You are one kind cookie.
    cAROL

• pattygrow5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Angela I was not saying I don't want your list if you read my post I refer people with smaller amounts to use your list I am just pointing out that something can be overlooked because of mispelling or a different common name I want people also to check lists. I had thought about not bringing it up so as not to hurt your feelings I wasn''t upset about the list or was the person with the complaint it was the posting of seeds to be requested
    HUGS!!!! Angela
    Patty

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

I don't see anyone trying to change Patty's AWESOME swap. I see them trying to help each of us going through our lists. I'm sure (as I have done as well) posting extras that haven't been found are simply a way to keep those seeds being rotated through so they aren't 2009 seeds in 2014. It's nice to get fresh seeds and we all would like seeds saved in the last year or two.

I'm sorry to see any controversy or complaints over some posting that they haven't had a chance at some seeds.....I totally understand the time frame issues...but many of those who don't have jobs or extra resources don't have the ability to gain those seeds easily. I mean absolutely NO ill will by that comment. I just wish that complaints could be kept to ourselves. I have absolutely no clue as to who any complaints have been from, but I think that we should work toward filling requests and not to worry about what's being offered. Patty certainly doesn't need more work. There are so many wonderful items being offered to so many, let's focus on the positive aspect of that instead of gaining what we may miss out on.

I'm so excited to be a part of this swap and enjoy each and every one of you, it just saddens me to see that some are angry over some gaining over another.

I am guilty over offering a single pkt of seeds that has yet to be requested...but I've too missed some special seeds.

Let's just keep having fun :)

Bless all of your hearts for your hard work and special time to fill requests!

Toni

14 years ago

Thank you, Patty! (((HUGS))) You sure made me feel a whole lot better. I have to admit that I was very surprised by the complaint post, but I'll get over it. I think I wear my feelings on my shoulders for all to see sometimes... oh, well, I apologize for my directness with my post.

As for posting seeds for private agreements, I agree that posting some of the seeds has caused me a few issues as well. I had some things to offer in smaller quantities not listed on my haves that now I cannot send in since a private arrangement has been made. As for the running list, I do think it's wise to still look through everyone's list, not just searching. I can totally agree on that point for sure.

Again, thank you all for putting up with me! Diana, I'm really sorry for posting so strongly in response to your post. I do understand that everyone has differing opinions, and I do want you to feel that you can post your concerns. I truly do. I'm sorry. (((HUGS)))... please, accept!

Blessings,
    Angela

14 years ago

Carol (just1morehosta) - I do hope you did not mean that you wanted dropped from this swap. Please, don't leave. There were several posts (including my own) with seed offers. What's been done is already done. Let's just start clean from here. Please, don't leave the swap! We really want you here!

Blessings,
    Angela

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Well, I guess that my wanting to give some great seeds has caused a bit of a stir, I'm sorry!

I didn't mean to cause any problems for anyone,especially Patty and certainly wasn't trying to change her swap. I remembered people posting offers last year so I just posted what I had.

I work too, I wasn't thinking that someone would be at work and be upset over missing out on a seed offer, again, I apologize.

If there was someone who wanted the seeds that I offered AND it was on their list, I will give it to you from my private stash :)

I won't post about seeds from here on in...

Lisa

• jaynine
    14 years ago

To All:
    I feel as though I should make this post, as I am the original complaintant. My email to Patty simply made the point that this swap was designed for us to share our seeds with those who are specifically looking for them.
    I certainly don't begrudge anyone any seeds they've claimed via posts and can understand anyone's enthusiasm for wanting to share their special seeds; just reiterating the purpose of this swap as defined by our hostess. I really enjoy this swap & love the idea of giving someone something they really want.
    I'm sorry if my comments have made anyone feel bad. That was definitely not my intention!

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

Last year we had Angela's list to use if we wished. Some people last year used the GW member search feature to determine who to send seeds to. This year those people can do it that way, or search Angela's list, which will save them a lot of filtering.

I like going through each person's list, and I like reading their personal blurb on the member page. But, I also find Angela's list really useful, especially when my internet is super slow. Last year I downloaded the list and just deleted what I didn't have. That saved me so much time.

Instead of worrying that a GW search or a search on Angela's list won't be accurate because of misspellings, maybe folks could just check their own lists to see if things are spelled correctly? You can control what you do--hopefully :) --but it's awfully hard to control others and make them search through lists the way that you want them to.

In other years there were people who were open to private emails and requests. It's not new this year. The # symbol is new, though. As Angela pointed out, there were some things she'd planned to send in but now the person has a # next to the seed, so she won't be sending those in. I can see this from both sides; Angela sends in fewer seed packets, so she will get back fewer packets. But, it also means unwanted duplicates didn't get sent in! Those poor seeds, going unplanted, aging away in a box...

I feel much more excited _knowing_ some of the goodies I'm getting, and then loving all the surprises too. With the request system, it _should_ be easier on Patty (although all this brangling surely isn't) because the seeds are partially sorted when they get to her.

Anyone who is having trouble finding lots of wants to fill, please contact me and I am sure I can find some things to tempt me!

14 years ago

stage_rat - I wanted to do you a favor. I thought it might help others with slow connections as well, so I created the file in downloadable format for you. The link to the download page is below my signature. How you explained going through the lists deleting what you know you don't have is actually how I do it, too. So, after reading your post, I figured maybe others would like doing it that way as well. This way you're reading every single thing on the person's want list page and trimming it down to what you might be able to send in for them.

Blessings,
    Angela

• ollierose
    14 years ago

1. I never said that the running list made things harder. If you utilize the list by actually reading it, then yes it can be quite effective. However, there has been much talk about using the search function to match up for seeds. That is not effective as things certainly will be missed. While there is only one botanical name for something, there could be up to 10 or more different common names for something that people dont even know about. I simply wanted to point that out so that people wouldnt rely solely on the search function. Further, with regards to botanical/common names, I believe that all people should take the time to look up the names of the plants that they dont recognize. I certainly do that and I assumed that others would too in order to fulfill as many wants as possible. It doesnt only make someone in the swap happy, but it also helps us all increase our knowledge of plants. That is part of the reason that we all joined GW right? I take no offense to your response to me, Angela. Youve worked hard on that list, have every reason to be proud of it and want to share it with others. Its very kind of you to share a resources that so many find beneficial.

2. As for changes to the swap, there are changes to the swap from what it originally was and I wasnt referring to the clickable list. It was never a part of the original swap to have people contacting each other privately for seeds. It was suggested that you add things to your want list should you see something you are interested in on someones have list. But last year people started all the private emailing. So, yes it might seem like the norm to people if this is your 1st or even 2nd year, but it in fact was not part of the swap during its first three years. This is the part of the swap that I have the biggest issue with. People are quite simply not trusting in Pattys swap I guess and feel the need to "secure" seeds by other means in this swap.

3. Regarding complaints and focusing on the positive aspect of that instead of gaining what we may miss out on: All Ive tried to do is focus on what I have that others want rather than worrying about what Im going to get in return. But why should we sit back quietly while others send tons of emails requesting seeds from others? Some people have had certain seeds on their wants lists for YEARS. It is quite depressing to know youve looked for a seed for years only to see it go to someone else right before your eyes. It would be nice to wonder if you might get at least a few of those seeds in the swap rather than knowing up front it wont be in your envy. This has turned into one big trade, not a surprise swap as it was intended. I personally dont think its fair that anyone is expected to sit back and not express themselves.

4. Im sure that by now, Ive ticked off many of you and you may not be planning to send in seeds for me. Id still like to participate in this swap because I do love to share my seeds, but I dont want to if people are going to hold a grudge against me for stating how I feel. Please feel free to email Patty or Angie if youd prefer I not be involved and Ill drop out. It is certainly not my desire, but I will. I do realize that we should all enjoy the fun of this swap, but this isn't very fun for me anymore.

Thank you to everyone that has welcomed me here. It is much appreciated.

Happy seeding,
    Diana
    ollierose

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Good morning friends,
    Well, another cold dreary day in Illinois land.
    Angela,no, I didn't mean I was dropping out of the swap,are you kidding,i have 1/2 already to go girl,ha ha.
    All i meant was, if it was causing a problem for Patty, then i would have my name taken off the request list,that's all.
    My own personal opinion on this whole seed swapping is this,
    For me---I really look forward to receiving seeds that i do not know i am going to be getting,that is part of the fun,if i should receive a few packs of the same seed, it is ok,it just seeds,there will always be another swap, i am sure,somewhere.When the mail man brings my seed box,and i empty it out on the table, OH MAN,to see all them seeds come tumbling out,why, it feels like Christmas,,, before Christmas.To be honest,I haven't even looked at any ones Have list,yet,only their Want list.
    I have enjoyed each and every step of this swap,I do so hope you will not be so upset Patty, that you do not want to host this again next year,because it really is a lot of fun,and we all appreciate all the hard work you put into making it so.Why, if not for you inviting me,(well,actually,Angie invited me first, you sent me a welcome mail) :0)My garden would be nothing but grass,because I Know Nothing(speaking in Captain Clinks voice,or was he a Sargent?)about no seeds(speaking in Pressies voice(from Gone With the Wind)
    I hope every one will lighten up today,there are a lot of Really Important things happening in the world,not getting a pack of seed is on the bottom of our list i am sure.
    No rain right now,so maybe i can harvest a few more seeds,then i will get back to packing up my haves.
    See ya all in a few.
    cAROL

• debby_1
    14 years ago

I am glad that someone has brought up the subject of requesting seeds. I work everyday and when I'm home my internet is so slow it's useless. I can take enough time at work to post once in a great while and join swaps where requesting is not necessary. I joined a plant swap earlier this year and had to back out because everything was requested as soon as anything was posted. That's fine if that's what you want to do. I enjoy the surprises I get with a swap like Patty's. This is my first year in this swap and was getting discouraged that this would turn out like the plant swap. Patty thanks for hosting.
    Debby

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Diana,

I'm certainly am not ticked off with anyone and I do have seeds that will be headed in for you. I'm not angry with anyone. I've simply seen some tensions arising and just hope that we can all put them behind us. My focus was not on any one person as I really only skimmed through the posts and didn't know who was upset. Lets have fun...this swap has always been fun and my previous comments were not to put anyone in their place. I apologize if that is how it was taken.

Toni

• vikingkirken
    14 years ago

>crawls into a hole and hidesI guess I'm the one that started the whole thing about requesting seeds via email... I never meant to make a mess out of things! I have definitely stuck to the short list of people who don't mind requests, but I'm sorry if I've created a big problem. It's so HARD for me to leave things to chance when I see a much-wanted seed on someone's list! But that's what I should be doing.

My apologies! I loved this swap last year and I certainly don't want to be part of ruining it for everyone.

Lori

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

(((HUGS)))

I've stated this before, but will repeat - this is a great swap!!

I am sending EVERYTHING I can to EVERYONE I can and appreciate the special requests for my seeds.

I also am more excited about sending then receiving, which I thought was the hidden point of the swap.

I (sort of) would love to have NO seeds left after the spring 2010 - imagine the fridge space!!

• bhnash
    14 years ago

I love this swap!!!!! Please, I don't want anyone to drop out. I've already made some good new friends from this swap and would hate to see it be the last one. I'm already looking forward to next years WLOMWL swap, and plan to buy seeds I don't end up getting in the swap so I can grow the plants and offer the seeds next year.

• agirlsgirl
    14 years ago

Hi all!:)

I would like to say my part as Patty's friend and co-host. Last night Patty called me and she was very upset,I have never heard her that upset before, and quite frankly hearing my friend in distress upset me also. The thing that upset her was that she had a complaint again. Last years complaint was the reason I created the "I don't mind" list for this year. Both complaints were regarding the requesting, and both complaints are valid. Patty never had a complaint about this swap until the requesting came into it. Yes, I have made a few requests and even made a pig out of myself with Heidi's salvias. I did it for the same reason as Diana,last year I had hardly any of my wants sent in to me (thanks to those that did send in for me! :),although I put in over 600 packs of wants into this swap last year! I did not expect to get even 100 of my wants back, I am a realistic person,but I know others did get the seeds I put on my want list because they requested them. I have every intention on looking to see if any of the seeds I requested are on someones want list,if they are,the entire pack or a portion of the pack will go to that person,I could not feel right about it otherwise.It will be easy on me to do this because I will be with Patty packing seeds. I am not suggesting that anyone else does this,that could likely cause alot more work for Patty! ;)
    Please keep in mind,Patty does not get much out of this swap,except for the knowledge she made so many people happy and receives a few of her wants. She wants each of us to enjoy ourselves and reap the benefits of this swap equally,this I can say for sure. Her heart is in a very giving place in this swap,it doesn't matter if you have been in it for 1 year or 5,she wants us all to equally enjoy ourselves and for us all to faint when we get our envies,not just 1/2 of us! ;) Every bit of Patty you see here is realistic to her,she is a very kind and giving person. She makes sure every envy has great seeds in it,and she really works hard to fill the envies of those that aren't so easy to find seeds for. She is one hell of a great hostess and I am hoping that as a group we can show her our appreciation by relaxing and having a good time. We can trust in her,that she will make sure we all get awesome seeds,she has done it successfully 4 years in a row! :)

Ok now about Angela's list. I will say that the ctrl F thing is just great and I would like to thank her for introducing it to those of us that had no clue about it! :) I have found it very handy when searching for plant info. The only problem I see with it is that "wants" will get overlooked, unless each person using the feature does what Angela suggested and goes back through the list looking at every item. Which for some of us will seem like back tracking,so if you do not want to back track please just look through the lists so you don't miss anything. Please Angela,do not think I am picking on your list,because nothing could be further from the truth. We just want to be sure as many wants as possible get sent in and that some aren't being overlooked.
    I want to give you all an example of an issue that I ran into using the search feature,Angela, I am going to use an item on your list because it is truly a great example. Angela has "catpaws" on her list,as I was going through her list I came across it and didn't know what it was,turns out it is,Antennaria rosea, Pussy Toes. I have only heard of this plant referred to as "Pussy toes" as the common name,it even says that on the tag I bought the plant with. So if I had used the search and put in the botanical name and the common name I know of,I would have missed over that seed and not sent it for her. ( I am hoping there is seed on that plant now...lol..) Patty and myself do not have a problem with Angela's list or anyone using it. But we do want to be sure people are aware of what could possibly happen so they can make a decision on how they will look through lists. Drippy pointed this out earlier and I was thankful she did. It was a hard subject to bring up without seeming like we were picking on our Angela,which we would never do! ;)
    Angela,I hope I did not upset you or insult you in anyway,it was not my intention. I love you girl! :)

Ok I want to address the # again. When you see this next to a seed on a want list,this only means this person is getting a pack of it from someone else. It does not mean you cannot still send it in for that person. Alot of us are fine with getting doubles of our wants. I didn't suggest it to make things harder or to cause people to send in less. It is just something that will make it easier on someone with a limited amount of seed,so if Jane only has 15 seeds of something and she would love to share them with someone else that is looking for that seed,she can see it wouldnt be a waste to send it in. I myself sent in a few packs last year that I really didn't have many of,but would never deny a fellow seed addict,to find out that someone had sent them a pack of them via a request. So now that person has a whole pack, and half of my wee stash, and I am holding 10 seeds. So please understand what the # is intended for,it does not mean you cannot send it in.If you have plenty of a seed with a # next to it,go ahead and send it,just ignore the #! :)

I also would like to make it clear that Patty was only referring to lists of seed that you have small amounts of not be posted. If you want to offer your lists up for requests via private email, that is not a problem. It is just the limited offers that have become an issue. Also keep in mind while taking requests, that some people that aren't browsing "have" lists may have a seed that was requested from you by someone else on their want list. Of course, the person requesting it will put it on their want list,but it may not have been there before hand. So the person that has had it on their want list for years will not get it,yet again. This is where I see the requesting not being fair to all of us. Yes I did make some requests this year and I may have made a couple last year,but I felt like if I didn't ,it was likely those seeds would never make it in my envy. I personally do not like feeling that way about this swap. It brings a side of me out that I don't really care for. Like I feel like if I don't email someone and ask for it,I don't have a chance at it at all. The thing that attracted me to this swap in the first place, was the fact ,it was a swap that wasn't so demanding of time and the great surprise of the seeds. That all I had to do was update my want list,browse want lists,pack seeds and mail them off to Patty and wait anxiously for my envy! Now it seems like I feel I have to search have lists and keep my eye open for offers or I will not get any good seeds. I really don't like feeling like that,but I was keeping my mouth shut because it seemed like everyone else was fine with it, and I know in the end we always have a good time waiting on our seeds. Honestly,I was not looking forward to this part of the swap this year based on last year. I am glad that we are able to share our feelings on this and that we aren't holding it all in. It is not as pleasant reading these posts as it is reading some of the light and funny posts,but if things keep festering it is likely some of us wouldn't join again and Patty wouldn't have the swap anymore. That would not be cool!:)

I so hope I didn't offend anyone,and please know that if I were speaking to you all my tone would be calm and pleasant.
    I don't want anyone to feel as if I am being bossy or complaining,because if it were all that bad I wouldn't have joined and certainly not volunteered myself to Patty! I love the group we get in this swap,such wonderful intelligent people join us and I know when we work out the kinks all is going to be just fine! :)

Hugs to all of you,you guys really are a superb group of people and I feel privileged to be part of this! :)
    Have a great day,I cant wait until this rain stops so I can go out and grab some seeds I have seen on want lists,I am so stoked that I have so much from my garden to share this year!:)
    ~Angie

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Very well written Angie! We should all keep in mind this is a wonderful gift Patty is offering to do for us! unbelievably time-consuming and she does it out of the goodness of her heart!

I can attest that the envy you get back will make you soo happy!!! All the worries will be forgotten and you'll be sooo flippin' giddy planning your upcoming gardens!!

now.. group hug everyone!!! :)

hugs dangit!
    Wendy / sassyb...

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

This is my first swap,and I found the searchable list a real help. Here is what I did:
    1. I went thru all the "haves" and "wants" individually, taking notes.Writing down each player # beside each of my seeds that I have available.

2. A short time later I went thru the searchable list for each item on my "have" list. This time circling the player numbers out from my seed.

3. Now, if I have any player numbers not circled, I go back thru the searchable list for that missing players "have" list. I will go thru their whole list to be sure she still wants it. This way ,even if it is spelled incorrectly, i will recognize it when I go thru each item.
    I dont know if this helps anyone else or not.
    Tammy

14 years ago

I'm getting ready to leave California finally, so I'm packing and will be out of touch while on the road and even when I get back as my daughter, Autumn, has a surgery. I just wanted to let everyone know that I certainly am glad we are speaking up rather than bottling it in. Everyone has been really kind in how they worded things and careful of others' feelings. I don't want anyone to leave or feel that we want them to! Diana, you know we want you here, right? I think we've handled this civilly and can move on to making this a GREAT swap again this year. I want to thank Diana, Patty, and Angie for clarifying their points on the running list. I'm not offended in the least and actually do agree seeing how some common names or how things are listed could cause a seed to be overlooked. I think we all care greatly to send in as much as we can to help fill wants, so let's all do our due diligence by looking up different names and checking through the lists the "old fashioned" way as well. I love you all so dearly and sure hope I haven't hurt anyone. My heart is truly in the right place just hoping to make this a good swap for all, and I know you guys want the same. Last year so many of you helped me get through one of the roughest times in my life, and I truly feel you were my friends when you didn't hardly even know me. I just appreciate you all SO much! The last thing I'd want is to have any hard feelings between our members.... Well, I'm off to running across the country now......

Blessings,
    Angela

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

Angela, my prayers go to your daughter for her upcoming surgery, and may she have a speedy recovery.
    Tammy

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Sassy,easy girl, can you not hug so tight~~~~~~~,ah, there,that is better,you really give strong hug my friend,:0)Hugs to you as well.And a kiss on each cheek,:0)
    Guess what i did,Well, I need a new coat,so I went to Burgners,and bought one on sale 50% off,oh yeaaa,then on my way to my car,there they were, the flower beds,all brown,and gone to seed,now, ya all know,if a seed is just drying up,waiting to be uprooted,and thrown into the dump,it is an obligation,from each and every one of us to rescue the poor thing, right? RIGHT???I thought so,so i did what any good seed snatcher would do,I grab a few lily seeds,I don't know what kind, but,they are safe and sound,, now,aren't cha happy i saved the little guys.I sure am.Cheers
    cAROL

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

Oh my! I did not know there were complaints until I read today's posts and I really loathe controversy, but I must admit that when I saw some seeds I have had on my want list for a long time offered out generally, I was a bit disappointed that it was not taken into consideration that some folks already had the seeds on their want lists. I requested a few of them and may receive them. I will be happy with whatever I get, but I do think I liked this swap better when there was a bit more mystery.
    Having said that, though, this is a fantastic swap for two reasons. Patty is number one. I can only imagine how hard she works to try to insure a wonderful swap for everyone. Number two are the great folks who give up some of their own prized seeds, even if they only have a few, because they want to share with their gardening pals.
    However it is done, I trust Patty (and agirlsgirl) to do their best for everyone. I hope I can join this swap for years to come!
    Alana

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

Good to read I'm not the only one that snatches...

Made the whole family take a bike ride across the town to nab some hollyhocks...My bike can't be traced (;0) as easily as my car's license plate!! although my old Burley bike trailer seems to be one of a kind...

However, this year I have not taken any midnight dog walks to sneak into the neighbors' yards...and since it froze here in mid-bloom, I doubt I'll be doing that until 2010 -

HECK yeah I'd be grabbing old plants on their way to the garbage bin right along side ya cAROL-

• vikingkirken
    14 years ago

Austinnhanasmom,

Totally off-topic, but how do you like that Burley trailer? We're looking at getting a bike trailer and are trying to decide what kind to get. We're currently borrowing a cheap one from a friend, but we're thinking since we would definitely get regular use out of it, maybe we should spring for a nice one...

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

I noticed there are a few who would like to have sedum seeds,how long does it take for them to dry?
    I have cut the stems,and have them hanging,upside down,but it seems to be taking forever for them to dry out,am i doing it right?
    Thank you guys,
    cAROL

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company