Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nettasaura

UPDATE: 'Seed-Hot-Cocktails' Swap....last call for signups!

nettasaura
17 years ago

I am taking a suggestion and extending the deadline for signups until November 3rd, "seed in" deadline until November 8th, and "seed out" deadline until November 14th....for anyone who would like to still sign-up, the rules are re-stated below.
This is our current player list:

ZABECC

MICYREY**

DAISYDO

ETRAVIA

SANDY_S**

MOONPHASE**

GYBNS

SIMPLYLISA**

ANDREA81**

ROSEBUD_2050

LIZINNH

MALLOWMALLOW

MICHIGANALICE

OKNISH**

THREESHYACRES

LIMEQUILLA

NETTASAURA**

(** = package received)

We would love to have more players!

So, you know we all have those miscellaneous packs of seeds laying around that say something non-descript like "Marigold fluffy yellow" or "Calendula Mix". These seeds stand a very good chance of never being sown. So I was thinking why don't we have a Robin where we get to take all those non-descript seeds and make our own GW Hot Cocktails with those seeds.

Rules:

1). Each person will mail me an 8x10 bubble mailer with at least 10 packs of unnamed seeds(contact me if you have less than that and would still like to play), more will make for better "cocktails". Each person will include in their envie three 39 cent stamps for return postage and a return mailing label and a note with the words "Seed Hot Cocktails". I state that size of bubble mailer because I am hoping through player generosity that we will have enough to fill them up on the return.

2). I will keep a log of who has sent what. I will place the specific kinds (ie: marigolds, calendula, daylilies, etc.) into separate large ziplock bags. After all players have sent in their contributions, I will shake the bags up to make sure everything has gotten mixed real good. The resulting "Hot Cocktails" will then be divided up equally between all players. I will provide the craft baggies for this purpose. *see #4 for exceptions.

3). I will then mail you back your "Hot Cocktails". Hopefully we can turn what would have been a "Fluffy Yellow Marigold" into a sea of "Marigold Colors".

4). Exceptions for rule # 3 are as follows. For example, let say that a trader has sent in a package of "Brugmansia unknown color" that has only 15 seeds in it and nobody else sent in any. This will then be added to one of several "Mega Cocktails"...for example: Perennials, Annuals, Vines, Herbs, Veggies, Miscellaneous, so on and so forth...

5). Players should list what they will be sending to me here so that other potential players can see what they can add to and what they can add on that hasn't been listed yet. When the mixing and distributing is done, I will post a Master List of what everyone will be getting in their return envies. I hope this will be fun.

Please post here that you would like to join and then I will email you my snail mail address separately. Signup deadline is November 3rd. Players must have their seeds mailed to me by November 8th, so I can have them back out by the 14th.

Comments (24)

• rudybacon
    17 years ago

This is a great idea. I would like to join. I will have to go through my seeds tonight and get a list to you ASAP.

Thanks, Kathy

P.S. Do we send individual seed packets of a seed or just lump like seeds together? For instance, I have a lot of morning glory seeds, some fairly rare, and just want to do this right.

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Kathy...thanks for joining. There is no reason that you can't lump like kinds together...after all that is what I will be doing anyway! I'm sending you the "Welcome" email...keep a look out.
    Netta

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Hi Netta --

This is just the BEST idea!

I typed a list of everything I'm sending and before I could hit 'send', I did something and it was all erased! The only thing I'm sending that may need a partner is

Sweet William.

I know the seed is good because I fall-sowed it and every single seed must have germinated! I will have a LOT of Sweet William, so am sending the rest of the seeds in to you. If nothing else, it would look good in a cottage mix.

Lime

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Whoops, I posted to the wrong thread...

I just wanted to say I do NOT want any of my "odd man out" seeds sent back to me -- throw them in the mix. Any mix :) In fact, I am sending some verbena bonariensis just for the Annual Cottage Mix. And that's one I really, really want!

Lime

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have a package from GYBNS!!!

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Netta,

I mailed my envelope today. I have a confirmation number, but it's out in the freezing cold car. I'll post it later.

Can't wait on this one! I wanted to direct sow an area (to avoid having to fill up and then empty out a bunch of cell packs) and now it looks like I'll have enough seeds to do it.

Lime

• rudybacon
    17 years ago

Hi, I haven't received an email with your address yet but I have all my seeds ready to go when I do. I am sending:
    Cleome
    Larkspur
    Morning Glory
    Columbine
    Coreopsis
    Datura
    Sunflowers
    Astors
    Red Yucca
    Zinnia
    Yarrow
    Hollyhock
    Hibiscus
    Sweet William
    Marigold

Thanks Kathy

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have received packages from the following players:
    ZABECC
    MICYREY
    DAISYDO
    SANDY_S
    MOONPHASE
    GYBNS
    SIMPLYLISA
    ANDREA81
    ROSEBUD_2050
    LIZINNH
    OKNISH

I am still waiting on packages from the following players:
    ETRAVIA
    MALLOWMALLOW
    MICHIGANALICE
    THREESHYACRES
    LIMEQUILLA
    RUDYBACON

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Signups for this swap are officially closed!

Already mixing.......

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Mine's in the mail. Should be delivered to you today (Sat) -- it's been in your state since late Thursday night -- early am, Friday.

Conf number: 030502710000103044594

Suzy

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Whoops slight error in the confirmation number

should be 03052710000103044594

Lime

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I received packages from Limequilla, Michiganalice, & Etravia.....now just waiting for:

MALLOWMALLOW
    RUDYBACON
    THREESHYACRES

Thanks everyone! Netta

• rudybacon
    17 years ago

Hi, I will be sending mine tomorrow, Monday morning, the 6th. Most of mine are already mixed so they shouldn't slow you up too much. lol

Kathy

• rudybacon
    17 years ago

Got them sent today. Confirmation # 0305 0830 0000 4729 5655

Kathy

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Kathy...I'll be on the lookout!

• mallowmallow
    17 years ago

hello the envelope is on the way....it should be there soon
    pam

• threeshyacres
    17 years ago

Hello,
    I'll be sending mine in the mail tomorrow, the 8TH. Sorry for my delay, but the deadline seemed to have changed to a later date, and I'm always one for procrastination.

Mix 'em up and have fun!

Jodi
    'ThreeShyAcres'
    : )

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have received packages from Mallowmallow & Rudybacon.....threeshyacres' pack is en route....so very soon now.....

• lizinnh
    17 years ago

Thank you Netta for being a wonderful host! LizinNH

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Liz!

I still haven't received Jodi's pack yet...hoping it will pop up in today's mail....everything so far is as mixed as I can get it until I get her pack. I'm sitting on pins & needles.......

I've got labels ready to go for most things, with the exception of the mega mixes. Those I will print out last just in case there are any last minute additions to the "includes" lists on those labels.

Very little is going to be sent back to traders in the way of "odd man out" seeds. There were a few fuits and veggies, and a few things that were listed as "invasive" in the USDA Plant Database...but on the whole not much in that department.

The megamixes so far will be Perennials, Annuals, Vines, Trees & Shrubs, Bulbs from Seed, Grasses, & a Cottage Master Mix (possibly an Herbs mix - I have to see if I have enough to add to it)....all will have labels listing the contents. I will post a full list of what everyone will be recieving when I mail the packs (complete with Delivery Confirmation #'s) back to everyone. I have also included a handmade card and small handmade gift that I hope everyone can enjoy!

Netta

• andrea81
    17 years ago

Wow Netta!!! Sounds like you have put a lot of thought and hard work into this one. I know I appreciate it and I believe everyone else will too. :-)

Andrea

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Got Jodi's package!.....now for the monster task of dividing equally............

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Oh, Netta! You always do such a nice job! Liz & Andrea are right -- we do appreciate it!

Suzy

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ok....am going to do my best to have these things out the door by Friday....cross your fingers with me and wish for my children to be on their best behavior this week....and DH can't wait to reclaim the kitchen counters! LOL

Netta