Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

GardenWeb needs your feedback!

gwannouncements
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing up the site a bit. Among other things, we've added new ways to upload photos and email notifications of post replies. We are still cleaning out cobwebs and weeding some areas of the site, but we are also working on some bigger projects like a better search engine (yay!) and a mobile app. We'd also like to get some feedback from you. What enhancements or additions would you like to see? What do you love? What do you hate? Think big and small!

We can't promise the moon, but please know that we will read and consider every one of your ideas and suggestions. We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our site and we know how important your community is to you. Help us make it even better!

Please use this post to offer your feedback. But, as always, you are welcome to contact me directly by clicking on my profile page.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (11)

• beautifulreddahlias
    11 years ago

I would love to see a forum for trading alpine flower seeds. Also an exotic seeds trade forum would be nice too. It would save from having to search lists or waiting till someone sees your post!

Thanks!

• aquadragonfly
    11 years ago

I would love to be able to edit or delete post, we should be able to do this with our own post. OR even a response we have posted to someone else.
    I don't like posting something and it always be there. Some post become obsolete and no longer correct or the person may not be trading anymore or whatever. Some post need to be available all the time but if I post for instance I have Candy lily seeds now then those are only available for a short time. I don't want to get a message from someone 3 years later asking me IF I STILL have them, because well NO I wouldn't.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, consider adding this valuable option here. THIS would make Gardenweb so much better, or at least in my opinion it would.

Thanks so much,
    :) Aqua

• socalgardengal
    11 years ago

I would LOVE to be able to add photos from my droid phone! Also I would love an app. Being a newbie to gardening and to GardenWeb, I would like to have an adopt a newbie section, also more zone specific forums. Thanks and Happy holidays to everyone!

• brittneysgran
    11 years ago

I second Aqua's proposal...Sure hope to see this done in the future.

• alwaysagarden
    11 years ago

I third Aqua's idea! I've wanted this feature for a long time.

Also could you post a "how to" site for posting pictures, changing font colors/sizes.

Thanks Tamara

• keepingon
    11 years ago

Aquadragonfly's suggestion is splendid. I have found most exchanges quite useless as posts are obsolete fairly quickly. At least put a checkbox next to the subject line so the poster could go back and mark the offering "GONE" (perferably in red.) Or perhaps the checkbox should be headlined "COMPLETE" to apply to both sides of the swap.
    I love this website, keep up the good work!

• patrob
    11 years ago

The ability to edit one's own posts would be a major improvement to the site. I would rate that my number one request!

• poisondartfrog
    11 years ago

I agree with the foregoing. Being able to edit posts would be wonderful. I would also like a feature to allow you to jump to the last post you have read in a thread to avoid scrolling to find your place.
    Alana

• earthlydelights
    11 years ago

it appears they are testing the editing process in another forum. i would hope they don't limit it to just certain forums.

This post was edited by earthlydelights on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 10:42

• gardenecstasy
    11 years ago

As some one who is new to GW I find the entire site confusing particularly the seed and plant exchanging aspects of the site(something that should be in my opinion be the first thing GW changes) There are too many threads and posts reposts and in all reaches of GW forums; it's a nightmare and it desperately needs to be streamlined. In general surfing the GW website feels like stepping back in time in terms of everything, its like the internet before people became cognizant of webdesign. I think that it is important for young people like myself to get interested in gardening and the raw potential of the GW community to be able foster that interest is immense but is severely handicapped by a bad web user experience that goes way beyond the little tweaks people tend to post in the 'GardenWeb needs your feedback!' threads.

• gwannouncements
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone!

You asked and we listened. Today we are very excited to be debuting our newest feature -- post editing! To use this feature, go back to the post you wish to correct and you'll find the link under the 'My Clippings' links on the right side of the page.

I want to give a special shout out to all the testers who tried to break the editing tool. ;) Your feedback was insightful and invaluable. Thank you!

You may have also noticed that we adjusted the login cookie awhile back so that you should not have to login repeatedly.

Stay tuned -- we have more cool things in the works!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,
    Tamara