Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

NEW: I.H. November Swap: The Great Feast

highalttransplant
14 years ago

The Incredible Heirlooms November Swap is THE GREAT FREAST - stuff we eat on Thanksgiving.

November is all about giving thanks for what we have, and the many wonderful foods that are harvested in the fall, help us to celebrate the occasion. Things like apples, sweet potatoes, potatoes, onions, winter squash, corn, and pumpkins. Plus all of the spices, nuts, and cranberries that add flavor.

Here are the details:

The deadline to sign up is October 31. Partners will be posted on November 1st.

Please send you partner the equivalent of 6 packets of heirloom vegetable seeds. If you are including opened/partial packs, you may need to send more than 6.

Deadline to mail out to your partner is November 14th. (The 13th was on a Friday, and I didn't want to jinx the swap, LOL!)

Please include a little something extra related to the harvest. It could be a recipe that uses things you harvest out of your garden, a special ingredient used in Thanksgiving recipes, something homemade from the harvest, or anything you think would show your partner how thankful you are for them.

If there is anything I've left out, don't be afraid to post or email me with your questions.

I'm thankful for all of you, who have made this such a great year of Icredible Edible/Heirloom swaps!

Your grateful hostess,

Bonnie

Comments (25)

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Whoo-Hoo! I'm in! Nice pic, Bonnie.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Great Freast? LOL!!! I thought I proofread my post carefully before hitting that submit button!

Welcome, Becky!

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Maybe it should be the Great Fresh Feast (Freast)!
    Here's a puzzle to get people thinking about the harvest

Here is a link that might be useful: Pumpkin & squashes

• arroyogardener
    14 years ago

Please include me in the swap. I really think I would enjoy this and already have ideas for things to include. It sounds like great fun. I can think of so many things to be greatful for and would love to share with a new friend on here. Hugs, Jamie

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

What a nice puzzle :)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm not even going to admit how long it took me to solve the puzzle. Too embarrased, LOL! My eleven year old even had to help me!!!

It was fun though. Thanks, Becky!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Welcome, Arroyogardener!

Here our list so far:

Booberry85/Becky
    Arroyogardener/Jamie
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

Donna are you just stopping by, or are you going to join in the fun, LOL? For those of you lurking, this swap will be over before Thanksgiving, so it shouldn't interfere with holiday plans : )

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

I'm still thinking on it :)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmmmm ... where is everybody?

Well, while you lurkers are thinking about whether or not to join, I thought I would give you some food for thought.

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Thanksgiving Quotes

• booberry85
    14 years ago

I enjoyed reading through the quotes the other day, Bonnie. Come on everyone! Don't make Bonnie chase you around the corn stalks! MMMMMmmmmm winter squash, brussels sprouts, broccoli, apples, pears, grapes, pumpkins, potatoes, sweet potatoes,....I shouldn't post so close to lunch!

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm still thinking :) I have two more pkgs to get out one doosie lol. So I may join...not quite sure yet.

Toni

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Toni and Donna, we'd love to have both of you join, and all you other lurkers out there too!

Well, while you guys are thinking about it, how about some Thanksgiving trivia questions?

No cheating by opening a second window to look up the answers! See, I'm on to you guys, LOL!!!

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Thanksgiving Day Quiz

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Well I knew some...guessed well on some, failed miserably on others, but it was fun :)

Could you imagine a turkey that big? won't give the answer, but where the heck could you cook the blasted thing?

We actually raised turkeys for a while and some got BIG! We had to cut them in half to fit in the oven. But never did we have anything even close to that!

• booberry85
    14 years ago

That was a fun quiz Bonnie. Like Toni, I really tanked on a few of those questions but most I knew. What a BIG bird to be in the Guiness Book of World's Records! That would make a LOT of turkey sandwiches!!!

• arroyogardener
    14 years ago

I am hanging my head miseribly...lol...I did horribly! It was fun but, oh goodness I didn't realize how little I knew about Thanksgiving and Turkeys...lol...I am really excited about the swap though...went shopping for some goodies for a thank you for my partner for being so special today...whoever she/he maybe...I LOVE giving little presents...fun, fun, fun...can't wait...recipes? something to bake/make? hummmmmmmmmmmmm? I love swaps!!!!!!!!...lol...no I'm not addicted really...I promise...lol...I hope you decide to join us Toni and Donna.

Hugs to all,

Jamie

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Bump!

• arroyogardener
    14 years ago

I was Reading through the little quotes on the link that Bonnie posted earlier in this thread and this quote kind of reminded me of our little swap!

"He who thanks but with the lips
    Thanks but in part;
    The full, the true Thanksgiving
    Comes from the heart."

-J.A. Shedd

I think that is a big part of this swap! Giving to our partners this Thanksgiving from our heart... It will make Thanksgiving and this swap special and fun!

Hugs,

Jamie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well said, Jamie! I was hoping we would have more people sign up, but I know some folks are overwhelmed with participating in a couple of really big group swaps right now.

Come on all you I.E. and I.H. regulars, let's show each other how thankful we are for one another!!!

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In order to give some of the regulars more time, that may be involved in other swaps right now, we are extending the sign up for this swap. Here are the new dates:

PARTNERS ASSIGNED: Saturday, November 7th

DEADLINE FOR SHIPPING: Monday, November 16th

I realize that this only gives ten days to get the package together, but if the shipping date is moved a full week, than it puts us into Thanksgiving week, and some folks may be going out of town. This way, packages should arrive early enough, so that they don't interfere with holiday plans.

Now all of you regulars have time to finish up your other swaps and still join in the fun.

BTW, do you guys think we could ship baked goods? Just a thought.

Bonnie

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Here's a little heads up to help get ready for the Great Feast!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thanksgiving 101

• arroyogardener
    14 years ago

I think the extention is a great idea! I also think shipping baked goods would be fine. Somethings travel very well. When I lived overseas people received things from the states all the time during the holidays via the mail and it arrived beautifully if someone wants to include one...I know things like pumpkin bread, zuccini and zuccini bread travel VERY well. Do you mean we all should include one maybe?

Hugs,

Jamie

• arroyogardener
    14 years ago

Bonnie, I don't want to hurt the swap but, I would like to be able to send my box out early for personal reasons. My box is ready to go. Would I mess everything up if I just ask you to be my partner so you can send me your address and I can get this mailed. I'm sorry for the inconvience.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jamie, I certainly wouldn't mind being your swap partner, but if no one else signs up, that would leave Becky partnerless. Usually, if we only have three players we will do a triangle swap, where Person A sends to B, Person B sends to C, and then C sends to A.

The only other issue is that I wouldn't be able to send until closer to the send date, as I am still trying to finish up a couple of large group swaps that I am in, and haven't started getting things together for this one.

Bonnie

• arroyogardener
    14 years ago

I'm sorry honey, I should have made myself more clear. I would like to just send my box off and then bow out. I will not do it without sending this box out though. It is ready and taped to go. I would like to send it to you but, I could send it on to Becky and then her too you either way is fine. I do not want to be included past my sending my box so there are no worries if you are behind hun...really. It's okay. I'm not trying to rush anyone. I just need to get this done. Thank You. Jamie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jamie, with you having to bow out, and no additional sign-ups, I am just going to cancel this swap.

I realize that you have already put a box together, and I hope that you are able to use those things for another swap. I apologize for the inconvenience. The theme seemed like a great one to me, but with so many of our regulars already committed to several other swaps, there just wasn't enough interest to get this one going.

Thank you both, Jamie and Becky, for your interest and enthusiasm, and I am sorry to have to cancel the swap.

Hope you guys have a great Thanksgiving!

Bonnie