Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remy_gw

UPDATE: # 2 Bloomin' Friends - Oct. Bulb Swap!

remy_gw
17 years ago

Hi all!

Let me start off by re-posting the player list.

Jeanette/Number 1 Angel..sends to Susie/Skohler

Susie/Skholer...................sends to Jeanette/Number 1 Angel

Char/Faith in Frogs...........sends to Susann/DizzyDaffodil

Susann/DizzyDaffodil........sends to MaryEllen/Mellen

MaryEllen/Mellen.............sends to Nancy/CedarNest

Nancy/CedarNest............sends to Jenell/LunaMoon

Jenell/LunaMoon..............sends to Michelle/Micke

Michelle/Micke................sends to Deb/Debbya

Deb/Debbya....................sends to Tina/Hummingbirddaisy

Tina/HummingbirdDaisy....sends to Maureen/IrishRoseGrower

Maureen/IrishRoseGrower..sends to Char/Faithinfrogs

Beth/Beth B Kodiak..........sends to Remy/Remy

Remy/Remy.....................sends to Shirley/BrittneysGran

Shirley/BrittneysGran..........sends to Julie/TastefullyJulie

Julie/TastefullyJulie............sends to Maryanne/Earthlydelights

Maryanne/EarthlyDelights..sends to Carol/Veeja11

Carol/Veeja11..................sends to Jules/Klickitat

Jules/Klickitat...................sends to Susan/Giverny4me

Susan/Giverny4me.............sends to Sue G./Sguanzon

Sue G./Sguanzon...............sends to Kim/Lil Green Thumb

Kim/Lil Green Thumb........sends to Theresa/Theresa24

Theresa/Theresa24.............sends to Diane/SassyD

Diane/SassyD....................sends to Beth/Beth B Kodiak

What a day! This morning the regular weather man was out, and the idiot cheesy mustache guy was on. He said more rain all day turning colder in the eve with possible snow showers in outlying areas. Well! It starts snowing while I'm at work!!! This is freak thing! It never snow snows in mid Oct.! until today, lol. I got real upset. All my plants! They let me go home an hour early because of it.

I got home thankfully when I did, one because the thruway turned into a parking lot after I got home, and two because the porch had given just enough protection. So there I was hauling all the plants in. Then I had to go dig out all the sweet potatoes! My hands froze! Then I had to go out to the garden and salvage what I could. Also I had to take the cuttings of the red hibiscus! Lol! You can see by my rambling I went nuts.

Anyway, most everything got saved. So once I got back inside, I finally notice a pkg. It was from Shirley. Shirley, you think you would of met me before! She sent me an old jaycees cookbook exactly the type I like to find! And a LA Black Gamecock Iris. I wanted one! In fact I was suppose to get one this year, but I never ended up trading with the person.

Thank you so much Shirley!

Ok, I got to go read other posts and my mail, eat, take some calming drugs, etc. Lol.

Remy

Comments (139)

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

carol, if only bubba could cook i'd have one less job to do. i'm going to send him around in a box one of these days and visit all the ladies, we were talking about it the other night :) and as for the dog whisperer, i want to whisper to him "give me my money back"!

micke, if only it was that simple that the dogs jumped on furniture. these dogs are sooooo different. like nothing i've ever seen before. they would have heart failure if i put anything in a can and shook it.

deb, thanks so much for your words and encouragement. i got teary-eyed. i could hear ya cheering me on in your post. i'm not ready to give up, but i have had the thought. it's the alternative that really doesn't sit well with me and even professionals have suggested it. congrats on your doggie accomplishment. and what is "the welfare" where you get dogs? not a pound or shelter? welfare here is aid to the needy, i sure can't imagine that they would give medical assitance, food stamps and a dog.

i've been doing just what you suggested with the leash, treat and food for the last few weeks. i left it around and when they got a treat it was at or near the leash which wasn't yet on them. nothing really changes. somehow last night grace got her leash off. her collar is still on, but the leash was just sitting on my bed next to her. lucy on the other hand gets freaked out but i can get it on her, then she becomes a statute. you should hear the noise that comes from this house when this is happening. if lucy moves and hear her leash she goes totally insane. it's almost like she's having a seizure. she sat in the same spot, in the same position for 16 hours. when i finally unclipped it, she moved. (i fell asleep, otherwise i would have taken it off sooner). she was weirded out for pretty much the rest of the day.

these aren't dogs that let you really touch them, bathe them, groom them, brush them, pet them. it was real rough when they got a skunk a few months back. the little one will let you rub her head now and again and sometimes her belly, but the other one, you can't touch her. the little one does more crawling than walking and it's a lot of backwards walking. i'm telling you, it's bizarre here.

i've seen some differences in them since i got them, but it's a real arduous process. they came to me not fixed, uncertain as to any vaccinations or vet care. now i realize what the dog ladies that gave them to me meant as special needs -- they're special alright! even the visiting vet can't do a thing. it's so whacked. i think they want to be normal but they don't know how no matter what. so each day i go more insane. don't get me wrong, they do have some endearing qualities, but they don't balance the scales.

nice box there maureen - i love lillies and iris.

i spent the day outside cleaning, repotting and bringing in my houseplants. it seemed so easy in the spring taking them out. this took all day, but i'm so glad it was a beautiful day. my body aches.

hope everyone is well,
    maryanne

• sassyd
    17 years ago

Earthly...wish you the best dear! You're already a hero! I so hope they get managable! I think Deb had GREAT ideas!
    Oh well, thats it with my little bit of enengy, talk later!
    Sassy

• dizzydaffodil
    17 years ago

Hi all,
    Sounds like some exciting packages have been received! Mine sure was - got it Thursday afternoon & Char sent me some wonderful surprises! Sorry to be so late posting, but I did email to let her know I had received it.

This was a BIG box and held -
    A BIG bag of pink daffodils - mixed & All Gorgeous!
    A whisk broom gal (she is SO cute and looks like a brunette strawberry shortcake doll and her long skirt hides the whisk broom!)
    A Halloween squeaky witch (hmmm... some morning resemblance there, I think - LOL!)
    A rattle-head skeleton (hope no one notices the resemblance there)
    A felt snowman holding a wreath
    A big fuzzy bumble bee with iridescent wings (the cats have been trying to take this away from me)
    Mary Higgins Clark HB book - Before I Say Goodbye (don't know how I missed reading this one before, but I have sure been enjoying it this weekend!)
    A great new address/phone book- (I've needed a new one, but kept putting it off so I wouldn't have to rewrite all those pages - guess I'll have to buckle down & getRdone LOL! Bet my bloomin friends get first listings)
    A crochet pattern book Patchwork Grannys full of beautiful designs for afghans, pillows & spreads!
    And a HUGE beautiful sitting angel ~ and I mean HUGE!!! This is a wowser, but the PO managed to break off her wings ü so Char is looking into that.

Thank you faithinfrogs for a wonderful surprise box! Good choices my friend! .

Hope mellen has received hers and enjoys her surprises.
    Susann ~ DizzyDaffodil

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    17 years ago

Hi All,
    Time for me to brag a little about how wonderful Kim (Lil Green Thumb) was to me. I received TWO boxes from her yesterday and they were PACKED FULL! She sent:
    a light-Up Jack-o-lantern
    a large Swiss Mocha scented candle!!
    a tin of autumn hersey's kisses
    two packs of bubble gume (kid's swiped them right up)
    I did manage to save myself the two reeses pumpkins which I do not need but LOVE them! Reeses are my indulgence!
    Wire & Bead wind chimes
    two more candles (one orange and one votive in a cute fall votive holder. These, along, with the other candle are so wonderful because I am trying to add an autumn motif to my living room right now)
    a precious angel night-lite
    bulb auger
    journal
    notepad
    2 little pumpkin decorations
    a beautiful trinket box in a bag
    Puschkinia bulbs
    allium 'purple sensation'
    daffodil 'ice follies'
    hyacinth 'fondant'
    daffodils 'golden ducat'
    Bearded iris 'caprice' and 'cherub's smile'
    and a blow-up pumpkin which the kids will have a ball with.

Kim, thanks so much for your generosity. You, truly, went above and beyond with this one. I am so enjoying it though. It came on a day that I was finally able to get out in the garden after weeks of being loaded down with other things so it was the icing on the cake for me.

Theresa

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all,
    It was insanity at work! It really was as busy as a holiday. Everyone was out restocking their fridges. We ran out of so many things. I spent most of the evening apologizing, no sorry we don't have green peppers, no no celery either, sorry, etc. lol.
    The rain just keeps coming here so dreary. Gary cut up the apple tree. It is in pieces all over the front lawn, so sad. Even he admitted(you know the tough guy thing) it was hard to do.
    What wonderful boxes you all have received!

Maureen,
    You got lots o'lilies: )
    Susann,
    Pink Daffodils! I'm jealous: )
    Theresa,
    Reeses are the best! And two boxes, wow!
    Maryanne,
    I thought of a dog idea. I don't know if you will think it's silly or not. Borrow a well behaved happy dog from someone for a little while. Dogs will pick up on what other dogs do. So if you have a dog doing all the things you want, maybe they will catch on? Of course, you need to get a dog from somewhere, lol, maybe a relative?
    Remy

• mellen
    17 years ago

Susann, Yes, I received your box on Friday and am finally getting a chance to post. My goodness, dear lady, what DIDN'T you pack in this amazing box of gifts? It was all so overwhelming! Here is what our wonderful DizzyDaffodil sent:

-3 brightly colored leaf bags in yellow, lime green and hot pink--they have pumpkin faces on them, too--soo cute!
    -a round, orange hanging sign that has Happy Halloween written on it
    -2 very fancy silver and light blue(my favorite color) Pierre Cardin twist open and shut pens. Beautiful!
    -Newman's Own Caramel Cups-very yummy!
    -large copper planting stakes-THANK you!!!
    -TwinkleCandy suckers-Now these are new to me. They are a hard candy sucker attached to a long plastic tube. The ones that Susann sent are flower and butterfly-shaped and in the colors of purple, blue, green, and yellow. The purple was really good.
    -a cute and colorful photo frame with the saying, "The earth laughs in flowers."
    -another photo frame with a kitty on the side and the word Fab-U-Lous across the bottom
    -Hershey caramel and milk chocolate sticks. I LOVE these. Never had them before, either. Will now be on the look-out for them.
    -a great card and message from Susann. Also in the card were packets of seeds INCLUDING all of the info about them. Wow!
    small sugar pumpkin, love lies bleeding, lumina pumpkin,
    dwarf sungold sunflower, and Pacific Beauty mix calendula
    -the COOLest bracelet that I will love wearing!
    -a tube of cucumber melon hand lotion-one of my favorite scents
    -two ceramic pumpkins with candles inside-very cute
    -a beautiful bluebird windchime
    -notepaper and pencil in a pretty holder-the paper and holder have delicate pink, purple, and yellow flowers on them along with a tiny hummingbird--so very pretty, pretty
    -the neatest gardening stickers
    -3 flour sack teatowels with bright red apples on them--I love these, too. They go perfectly in my kitchen of dark blue and yellow. I have wallpaper on the west wall that has a border running through the middle that has apples, and baskets, etc. in it.
    -Since Susann lives in Nevada, she sent me a sealed bottle of genuine gold. It floats in a liquid and is way cool!
    -a bag of JellyBellies
    -3 postcards-2 of the beautiful Nevada landscape, and the other of one of their famous animals, the Jackalope. Susann, when we went on a bus tour out to Hoover Dam, I DO recall seeing one of these!!! For those who are unfamiliar with this animal, it is a cross between a jackrabbit and an antelope. For them to mate is quite the process from what I have read. I urge you to read up on it.
    -a vanilla candle in a beautiful holder wrapped in velvet ribbon with a sparkly rose and a heart with the words love on it
    -the most darling Angel Cheeks pin-the little angel is holding an orange leaf-Susann, I have a very small collection of the regular size Angel Cheeks angels that my mother has given me so this is very special to me.
    -ANOTHER angel that is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! She sits on a mirrored stand, is all sparkly and holding a candle. You turn on the lighted base and she glows from red to blue. Truly breathtaking, Susann. (and you already put in the batteries, thanks! lol)
    -Susann also sent flower bulbs
    sunburst yellow dahlia
    purple tulip
    Queen of the Night-black tulip
    Red Spider Surprise Lily
    rose-colored calla lily
    wonderful mix of yellow/white, single/double daffodils

Susann, never in all of my days on GW have I received so much in one box and every bit of it was so thoughtful, and generous, and fun, and every other wonderful word a person could think of. There will now be so many things sitting around my house that will remind me of you. Plus all of the flowers next spring. What a truly neat lady you are. I am so glad that you are a part of our Bloomin' Friends family. And YES, I hope to trade with you soon so I can return the kindness. With huge, heartfelt thanks, Mary Ellen/Mellen

• lunamoon
    17 years ago

Sounds like everyone has been receiving fabulous boxes!

Michelle~ I haven't forgotten about you! Your box is ready to go but now my other daughter is sick so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to the post office. Hopefully, soon! Remy's hostess gift will go out then too.

Here is a picture of our newest addition. DH found her on his way to work a few days ago. She was being chased down the street by a large dog so he rescued her and took her home. She's tiny. Probably just big enough to be away from her mother.

{{gwi:1304547}}

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Jenell,
    She's sooo cute! Everytime I even look at an animal, my Husband gives me such a look. All though, He almost brought home a white german shepard the other day, a green finch, and a cute little wolf looking dog. It turns out that the little wolf dog lives around here somewhere and ran home (too fast for him to catch). The finch, flew away. And the german shepard (another person took it home). He's a Carpenter and eats lunch at the jobsite- where the dog appeared, no collar/tags, very skinny. The guys that work with my Husband all gave the dog bits and pieces of their lunch. The next thing you know.. each one of them wants to take the dog home. And He said I'm a sucker for animals, LOL!

Maryanne,
    The Animal Welfare League is a shelter. I assumed they were nation wide. I guess not.. I would love to see a picture of your dogs. Post one when you have the chance.

Deb

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Well Deb!!!!!!!!!! BIG LOL
    I have got just the perfect puppy for ya if you're REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY wanting one, (with a sneeky heehee)
    Mertle Blue Austrailian Shepard/Chocolate lab mix. ANDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD, you are all that far away ;-)
    earthly is thinking about taking two of them. They are sooooooooooooo precious.
    Am going to post update pics this week sometime.

Luna - she is soooooooo cute! SHe IS very tiny. Her eyes are still showing the blue. Your hubby is a good hubby (just like mine, and Debs :-))

Chat more later!
    Tina

• lil_green_thumb
    17 years ago

Tina - bet the puppies are adorable. Blue Austrailian Shepards are beautiful.
    Remy - glad you liked your hostess gift
    Theresa - Very glad you were happy with your boxes
    Maryanne - seems the doggie that sits still as a statue with a leash on may be thinking of it as a chain. Like she was chained out on one at some time. I've had my pit bull since she was 9 weeks old. I had to teach her how to walk on a collar and leash. I used a regular collar on her until she was 8 or 10 months old. (She is a house dog and never been on chain outside). But to get her used to it I left the collar off when we were in the house and kept the leash attached to the collar. When I would take her outside to exercise, potty or train I would say "lets put your necklace on." sometimes she wouldnt hold still LOL but once she got the necklace means we go outside to play she sits to get it put on. I take her to petsmart once a month now. When she was smaller I took her weekly mainly for the socialization. The trainer there and the one at petco said Jorja was farther advanced than the dogs in the beginner classes and in February at that visit she went through the commands which are slightly different than most - I dont say come - I say come on or get over here LOL. I say a few things differently. She said she couldnt think of anything to teach her that she didnt already know. but anyway - I used a harness on her then. She didnt like that. So I started putting it on her to take her outside to potty. and play. She used to freeze like a statue if I dropped her leash - she hates the sound of it dragging behind her. I walk her and drop it and keep walking and she does too now.
    Last January my father in law told me about a TV show called the dog whisperer on the national geographic channel. I was like gee now you tell me. Jorja knew about 20-25 commands by then! But his show is great help as far as ideas. But you do need to be careful. Makes me wish I lived closer. I would love to help. LOL I've had dogs all my life - we have a total of the one inside dog and 4 outside dogs right now! Just got a 4 yr old lab-she was kept chained. and doesnt know how to walk on leash so this should be interesting!

Just don't give up on the dogs. Some are slower to accept new things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog Whisperer

• lil_green_thumb
    17 years ago

here is another link also - from the same Dog Whisperer

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog Insights

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all,
    I received another great hostess box today. Susan made a picture on her note of a tired looking lady w/curly hair in a robe holding a cup of coffee standing near a jack -o-lantern and a doggie named otis, and it said Happy Halloween, and "This is my costume" near the lady. If you change the dog's name to Lady(my little dog), it looks like me every morning, lol. In the box there was a Halloween goodie bag with a jack-o-lantern light up pen, vampire teeth, and candy! She also put in a big tin of tea for my "disaster" pantry. I do like to be prepared: ) And last but not least, she included an older cookbook 'The Southern Hospitatlity Cookbook'! I took a quick look and it looks like a great read.
    Thank you so much Susan!

Deb,
    I had to look up the Animal Welfare League because I never heard of them. It's weird, they do seem to be around in different areas of the country. We have the SPCA(Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) here. It is its own entity to WNY, not related to any other animal group. Both my dogs came from the SPCA. Your husband sound like mine. He always acts as if it is me with the soft spot for animals when he is just as bad or worse.

Mellen,
    It is great to hear you liked your box so much!

Jenell,
    What an adorable little kitty.

Kim,
    You made me think of when we first got Lady. She was a year and a half old so she already knew lots of commands. When she had something in her mouth though she wouldn't let it go. Gary and I thought it was odd because she seemed so well trained. Well, one day she got a hold of something bad like a chicken bone and he yelled "drop it" and out it came immediately. We had been saying all the wrong things!

Here's the updated list
    Susie/Skholer...................sends to Jeanette/Number 1 Angel - received
    Char/Faith in Frogs...........sends to Susann/DizzyDaffodil-received
    Susann/DizzyDaffodil........sends to MaryEllen/Mellen-received
    MaryEllen/Mellen.............sends to Nancy/CedarNest
    Nancy/CedarNest............sends to Jenell/LunaMoon -received
    Michelle/Micke................sends to Deb/Debbya-received
    Deb/Debbya....................sends to Tina/Hummingbirddaisy- received
    Tina/HummingbirdDaisy....sends to Maureen/IrishRoseGrower -received
    Beth/Beth B Kodiak..........sends to Remy/Remy -received
    Remy/Remy.....................sends to Shirley/BrittneysGran -sent
    Shirley/BrittneysGran..........sends to Julie/TastefullyJulie -received
    Julie/TastefullyJulie............sends to Maryanne/Earthlydelights -received
    Maryanne/EarthlyDelights..sends to Carol/Veeja11 -received
    Carol/Veeja11..................sends to Jules/Klickitat- received
    Jules/Klickitat...................sends to Susan/Giverny4me- received
    Susan/Giverny4me.............sends to Sue G./Sguanzon -received
    Sue G./Sguanzon...............sends to Kim/Lil Green Thumb -recieved
    Kim/Lil Green Thumb........sends to Theresa/Theresa24 -received
    Theresa/Theresa24.............sends to Diane/SassyD - received
    Diane/SassyD....................sends to Beth/Beth B Kodiak -recieved

We're getting there, almost done!
    Remy

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Tina, how did you figure out who the daddy was? are you making him pay child support? Earthly you didn't tell me if the dog whisper man knew of their background? I managed a humane society when I was younger and, we had a pair of dogs come in one was more feral than the other and brought the feral one around. can you investigate the old owners to find out what was done to them? I always found love and steak bones worked miracles or canned food and love. It is kinder with dogs like those to just have them put to sleep if you can't keep them, rather than make them go thru the terror of the pound again. When I had a shelter I had one dog run away from home and come to the shelter but this is not the way of most shelters which are more pounds than shelters. you know it will happen so make it easier on them. Best of all don't give up, they can be won over{{gwi:1304549}}

• brittneysgran
    17 years ago

Oh my goodness Remy, I got your awesome box today. I say it is large....Wow...I just kept pulling wonderful things out of the box. Thank you so much for a wonderful swap box. Can't wait to plant all the bulbs and plants that you sent. It's definetely going to take me awhile. I've been doing the happy dance all afternoon.

Remy sent:

Bulbs------------
    Woodstock Hyacinths-Love the color of these
    Lilies 'Boogie Woogie'-Can't wait to see these beauties bloom next year.
    Lilies 'Salmon Twinkle'-Yesssss more lilies
    Lilies 'Fangio'-Love that dark raspberry color
    Naked Ladies-Yahoo
    Daffodils 'Misty Glen'-Really needed these white ones
    Daffodils 'Pink Charm'-Have longed for some of these
    Crocus minimus-One of the first signs of spring
    Tulips 'Elizabeth Arden'-Know exactly where these will go
    Scilla Pratensis-Love growing things I have never had
    Plants-------------
    Bluebird Aster-Love asters
    Tradescantia 'Sweetkate'-Have some spiderwort but not this one
    Pulmonaria 'Samaurai'-Love lungwort but only had Mrs. Moon
    Ipsilnate Rose-Getting into more roses, have the perfect place for them.
    Iris graminea-never had this iris...a new iris yeah
    Campanula (Bellflower)-never had these either....yes
    Amsomia tabernaemontana (Bluestar)-Oh Remy I do hope it lives....I will keep my fingers crossed
    Box of Kleenex----Remy thank you so much...I go through kleenex like crazy..I have them everywhere..car,work,bedroom, bathroom..Tell Gary I'm glad he won so many.
    Glass etched butterfly-I love butterflies
    Reeses peanut butter pumpkins
    Russell Stover chocolates
    Hersheys orange marshmallow pumpkins
    Love chocolate candy...Yum
    Remy--Thank you again and again. Will take pictures next year of all these in bloom and remember you and your giving and sharing heart. LOL

Shirley

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

carol, i don't know anything about their background. the owner died. he was in his mid 60's and had lived with his parents. the parents died sometime during these dogs' lives. there were 5 sisters. one was mean and uncontrollable and was put down (i believe) after the man died. two other sisters were individually placed. the two i have needed to be kept together, so that's what i did. (when i think about it, three were left and i was going to take three...i'd be triple nuts by now!) the man who owned them died in january and the service stayed on and basically looked after them but they really lived on their own for the next 5 months. the other two had easier adjustment. the ladies that own the service remain in touch and a friend of theirs took one of the dogs.

no collars or leashes were ever found in the house. the man, from what i understand based on some information learned through other sources, was a manic depressive. (i guess that explains some of their behavior????) there were no vet records found. these girls turned 6 in september, so for 5+ years they lived in a way no one can confirm.

the set up in the house showed they weren't chained up, they each had their spot and shared or at least had access to a real bed. he lived on several acres and i assume they were allowed to run. the ladies that ran the service went in when the man called asking for help because he was sick, so at least he showed some real concern.

gracie is terribly afraid of thunder, lightning and fireworks and wants to be comforted, so i find it hard to believe that someone did not give her the comfort she seeks at those times. i say this because she can't be bothered being touched or petted at any other time. she'll let me say good morning and good night and rub her head, but that's it, one rub too many and she's gone.

lucy, she'll let you rub her to a certain degree. she has specific spots and you can't go beyond those limits. she's terribly submissive as well and cowers all the time. she does this funky crawl and is squealing the entire time. it's bizarre.

i could never give them to a kennel. that is not a solution. i just go nuts sometimes because i'm so not accustomed to this type of behavior. i don't understand it either. i don't believe they deserve to be put down either because although they have their quirks, they are not aggressive, not sick, they don't bite, etc. i guess this is the way it's going to be until they change. like i said before, there have been some changes since i got them.

i appreciate everyone's support and suggestions. i'm listening and acting on all of it. something klicked in me over the weekend. perhaps posting helped and everyone's support really touched me, so i'll just keep taking it one day at a time and take the good with the bad and hope for the best. what scares me is they are not chipped, they are not fixed (and this is sooooo disgusting), they are hard to groom and God only knows their vet history. i can't get them to one and the visiting one can't get anywhere near them to do an exam, shots, etc.

sorry if you are getting tired of my dog talk, i was just so frustrated and uncertain what to do after this amount of time. i've listened to every thought and suggestion and putting them to use, i'm reading everything i can, consulting alternative resources and now i'm into essential oils and scents. i'll do anything because the alternative is just not do-able.

thanks for listening my friends, i'm very grateful.
    maryanne

• mellen
    17 years ago

I have been waiting for some things to arrive in the mail for Nancy's box. They finally came this week-end. I was hoping to get her box packed tonight, but it has been a long day--left at 7 this morning and got home at 9:30 tonight. I am hoping to pack your box tomorrow night, Nancy. I will let you know for sure when it goes out. Mary Ellen

• dizzydaffodil
    17 years ago

Hi everyone!
    MaryEllen, I am so happy you liked your box! The angel cheeks pin just cried out to go to you - so glad you will enjoy it.
    The gold IS real gold - it is suspended in a glycerin solution so the flakes will float around. I do work at the largest gold mine in the US, you know.
    So, you already know about the jackalope? It's one of those things you just have to see to believe, isn't it?
    LOL!
    Glad your goodies were well received.

MaryAnne, could I suggest something? You may have already tried it, but it couldn't hurt. Make them come to you. Don't take treats or food to them - make them come to you and iniate contact. Even if it's only bumping your hand or rubbing against you. If they do that, stroke them only once or twice VERY lightly, while speaking to them - then stop. Only stroke them if they come to you and leave them wanting more. Always stop before they want you to.

On the grooming - good luck, but I would make sure each one has their very own soft brush - something as soft as a baby brush to start, just to get them familar with the process? You may have to get them tranquilized to be groomed & medical needs seen to.
    It's going to be a slow process, but it sounds as if you already have seen some changes in behavior. Good luck and God bless you for taking on these girls.

Y'all have a good night!

Susann ~ DizzyDaffodil

• giverny4me
    17 years ago

Maryanne, seems like you have tried everything and the dogs have tried you! (patience, j/k) I havent been online in a few days, been out of town,and I read my email first, my sister's boxer has an appt. today for her vet to come to the house today to put him down. Rocky was a "Boxer Rescue" dog, when I first met him 8 years ago I thought my sisters were crazy for taking him in he was so antisocial... it took them a good two years for him to come around. He was not their first boxer rescue dog and they got Georgia soon afterwards, she had been found by the Chicago Police starving in a abandoned apt., the vet said she apparently had been used as a puppy factory cause she was only 2 years old and had two litters. She was in horrible shape. Now they are both old and ill but they are such loving dogs. Rocky has a brain tumor and became blind and Georgia has Wobblers disease. The vet said it seems like they are determined to die together, they always do everything together. Anyways. I don't need to tell you rescue dogs need people because people are the ones that let them down. You are doing a great service and you will be glad in the end when you have a good outcome. I asked my sister if she would do it again and she says "in a heartbeat". You seem like a determined lady to me and I hope you continue to hang in there. (((hugs)))Susan

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Shirley,
    I'm glad you liked the box. Now that you got it, I can tell you this story. When I was getting ready to tape it up the box and address it, I left the room for a minute. I came back and Gary was like "Oh, the box is going out. You didn't receive it?" I said "no" and he says "oh." Then he walks away and comes back a second later with your candy! He stole what he thought was candy for me! The rotten *astard! lol.
    Dizzy/Susann,
    I had to look up Jackalope. What an odd animal legend, lol.

Maryanne,
    I can't imagine how frustrated you must be. Definitely don't feel bad for venting and asking for suggestions. I know everyone wants you to succeed. We are a bunch of animal lovers!

Food is done, time to eat!
    Remy

• mellen
    17 years ago

Susann, Oh, yes. I have known about the jackalope for many years. My husband's brother-in-law has the head of one mounted and hanging on one of the walls at their country home in MO. I guess many years ago he and a buddy went out West hunting and that is one thing that they brought back. VERY interesting specimen.

Nancy/CedarNest, I have your package ready to go out in Wednesday's mail. Since you are just in the next state, we can hope it doesn't take too long to get to you. :)

Good night all,
    Mary Ellen

• veeja11
    17 years ago

okay all we have a new player who meets our qualifications , she has traded with maureen been on here 2 yrs her name is ll wilkerson Laura and she needs a big sis, big sis answeres all her questions and guarentees her first three boxes, if it isn't sent you make it up, who would like to volunteer? come on ladies she will be a nice addition to our happy group. hugs carol

• llbean
    17 years ago

Hi all it's me laura (gw:llbean) I love gardening I love trading.. Here is a link to my projects and what I am working on..

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b351/llbean1113/
    I'll be good promise :)

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

i'll sponsor her carol.

maryanne/earthly

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all,
    I received Theresa's gift today. She sent Gardener's Grit soap in Spearmint scent. It looks real nice. I can't wait to try it after planting my bulbs this weekend(It better not rain!) I always end up taking gloves off and getting way too dirty.
    Thank you so much Theresa!
    Remy

• micke
    17 years ago

I have traded with laura as well, she is a good trader, and a very nice person, I would of sponsered her too.
    michelle

• veeja11
    17 years ago

congrats Maryanne you have a new little sis, please don't get her drunk. Laura Earthly is your big sis welcome to the group, ask earthly any questions you may have welcome earthly is not really a drunk I just tease her, I am the class clown. hugs carol

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Carol - Got my hat and rat! Thank you :-)
    I had a hard time taking that first bite, LoL, after reading "How To Take Care of Your Pet Rat". Oh the guilt! Ha!

I'll try and get a pick this weekend sometime.

Welcome to the group Laura. Earthly, be nice! LoL

Theresa - Well wishes and prayers for your little one. Keep us updated when you can.

Oh Carol - We searched out the dogs that we had previously caught in our yard. One was fixed. One was a lab. And the last one we finally found was a pure bread Australian Shep. Blue Mertle. He is gorgeous. 3 of our pups look just like him. He's only a little over a year old and just loveable.
    The owner said that he has learned out to use his nose to push up the hook and loop lock on the door and push his way out, LoL. At least he's smart!

Hope all is well with everyone. Going to miss you all in next months swap (who can't join).

Good night
    Tina

• brittneysgran
    17 years ago

Laura-Welcome, I looked at all your pictures on photobucket. You have some very nice plants. Hope to do some trading with you next year.

Maryanne-I don't have any pets so can't help you on any ideas with your dogs but hope they come around. You are a special person to keep trying.

Shirley

• cedarnest
    17 years ago

Welcome Laura,You will love the crazy gals here.I know I sure do : )

Mary Ellen,I am so excited! I will be stalking the postman! : )

Tina,Can't wait to see you in your hat : )

Remy,Your Gary sounds like my Greg.Can't turn your back on them for one second! : ) LOL

Maryanne,Good luck with the dogs.Wish I had some advice but I am dogless at the moment. : )

Dizzy,You can send Gold my way anytime : )

Carol,How right you are about being the class clown.Never a dull moment with you around.Sometimes get me laughing til my sides hurt : )

Jenell.Such an adorable little kitty.He looks like a happy lil guy! : )

Everyone else I forgot to mention.((Big Hugs))

Good Night!! Nancy

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Earthly keep up the good work, fire the dog whisper man. I think he may be a fraud. love and repitition will do it. Tina did the dogs owner want to see the kids or offer pup support? I think my little Tiyli is expecting her first litter. dad is my male paji, not sure but her tummy looks a bit bigger. Tisha is spayed and enjoying retirement. paji dosen't like it tho he wanted a harem. gonna go look at a house tomorrow sounds like it might be nice, more than we wanted to spend tho, but it is worth a look. has everyone gotten their bulb boxes? Brutus wants to know. I keep dividing my daylillies and am getting quite the pot ghetto. hugs to all

• dizzydaffodil
    17 years ago

Hi y'all,
    We got a new body?! Yay! Happy OBF day Laura!! I'm really enjoying this funny bunch of gals & know you will too!

Nancy, if you can rig November's box, I'll send you gold too! ;p LOL! And you just never know what all might show up in a box, right? I promise - no LIVE jackalopes though! They might bite with those mean sharp fangs!

Carol, I'm admiring your new peeping frog in the flower! Adorable!

Yep, gotta watch those candy thievin' menfolk! Except for "Bubba" of course, bet he never steals the candy! LOL!

I've been fall/winter prepping today. I dug up my Figaro dahlia tubers this afternoon, cleaned them & am letting them dry for a week or two. This is my first year with them and I've read they can be difficult to carry over. Sure hope they make it till Spring as they are gorgeous when blooming. Any advice is gladly welcomed...

Got the neatest 3 pc plant stand set from Fingerhut - arrived today, so I got it put together & it sits most of my plants up close to the window so they'll get more of the morning light. Shelves are just a bit too narrow for the BIG pots, but all the small & med ones & my air plants are now happy. :) Hooray for happy plants!

Whew! It's been a long day around here, and 5 AM will be here much too soon, so it's nite-nite time for me & the kitties.
    Y'all have a lovely night,
    Susann

• llbean
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone.. Some of you are framiliar to me and others will be by the time it's over...lol.
    Earthly, I can't wait to get to know you. I have to admit, yesterday morning, on my way to the hospital I was driving and I saw a bird bath in someones trash.. Well I have never picked before, But I drove 4 miles and was dictating and couldnt get my mind off that bird bath, so guess who turned around and is the proud owner of a new bird bath..
    I will be putting more pictures on photobuckets from this year...soon..
    I can't wait to know you all..
    Hugs and cheers
    Laura
    "Beans"

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

carol, did you send the questionnaire out to laura, or do you want me to do it?

laura, we are a great group, you'll learn to love us and if you don't, carol will send out spike, brutus, rex and the rats to take care of business. i recognize your name i think from the seed forum?

carol, the dog man is a goner. i am convinced i can do this and everyone's suggestions and support really helped me. i so appreciate you all. i also think the dogs sensed something so there's a little change yet again. susan mentioned it took her sister two years...we'll unless God has other plans for me, i'll be here and so will they. we will just have to grin and bare each other. i have two women coming over next week who are going to work their magic and attempt in-home grooming and whatever else the dogs will allow. the daughter was the one that helped me when they were skunked. these two ladies are so "different" and in all their years, they have never had a "regular" dog. of course, i'm still having leash issues, so we'll continue to work on it.

laura, your pictures are wonderful. i just love that rocked path around the tree.

i did a little more work outside yesterday. built a new bed just for bulbs (if they ever get here) and extended the baby's dedication bed. then i split hosta and lined that bed with them. lugged in another couple yards of mulch, cut some stuff back and repotted and brought in more houseplants. one more houseplant to go, but i can't lift this one, so it's been covered in plastic bags and wrapped in a blanket so i don't loose it. then i laid a new brick path. decided i'll work inside today. i have a few down time weeks ahead, so i want to get caught up.

janell, that kitty is too cute. if only they stayed that small.

susann, i'm no dahlia expert but from what you are doing, that seems right, at least that's what i've read. there used to be a woman on this forum - poochella - who is a dahlia expert, she gave great advice. i'm sure you can find her on the dahlia boards. i sure do miss her - so pleasant and articulate and a joy to trade with. i just dug some up that only provided me foliage this year. i'll either try again this year or trade them off. i'm a tad lazy when it comes to taking stuff out of the ground and overwintering. bad enough with the house plants that go outside.

bubba sends his love :)
    {{gwi:1304550}}
    be well,
    maryanne

• skohler
    17 years ago

Welcome beans :))
    is that LLbean ,IIbean,11Beans,llbean ???
    The 1-#one or the letter i, or letter L-l before the bean?

Sorry bean out of touch for a few days.
    I think the IV Drips are starting to work just got home have to go back tonight & then 3 more days :(

Carol Your doing a great job ,I"m Very proud of you.

as for my box for my dad from jeanette she was doing her baking over the weekend & it was going out soon , I know he will enjoy it .

sounds as if many of you have gotten some really nice bulbs & goodies in your boxes very creative ladies we have here. love reading about them :)

So Hard to beleive just 5 more days in this Month
    & till the witching hour of All the little Goblins
    Please be safe my friends :))

this is a fun month thank you remy for Being a wonderful
    Hostess :)) & hope everyone has sent their thank you
    to our hostess.
    susie

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all,
    Here's the list as it stands:
    Susie/Skholer...................sends to Jeanette/Number 1 Angel - received
    Char/Faith in Frogs...........sends to Susann/DizzyDaffodil-received
    Susann/DizzyDaffodil........sends to MaryEllen/Mellen-received
    MaryEllen/Mellen.............sends to Nancy/CedarNest- sent?
    Nancy/CedarNest............sends to Jenell/LunaMoon -received
    Michelle/Micke................sends to Deb/Debbya-received
    Deb/Debbya....................sends to Tina/Hummingbirddaisy- received
    Tina/HummingbirdDaisy....sends to Maureen/IrishRoseGrower -received
    Beth/Beth B Kodiak..........sends to Remy/Remy -received
    Remy/Remy.....................sends to Shirley/Brittneysgran -received
    Shirley/BrittneysGran..........sends to Julie/TastefullyJulie -received
    Julie/TastefullyJulie............sends to Maryanne/Earthlydelights -received
    Maryanne/EarthlyDelights..sends to Carol/Veeja11 -received
    Carol/Veeja11..................sends to Jules/Klickitat- received
    Jules/Klickitat...................sends to Susan/Giverny4me- received
    Susan/Giverny4me.............sends to Sue G./Sguanzon -received
    Sue G./Sguanzon...............sends to Kim/Lil Green Thumb -recieved
    Kim/Lil Green Thumb........sends to Theresa/Theresa24 -received
    Theresa/Theresa24.............sends to Diane/SassyD - received
    Diane/SassyD....................sends to Beth/Beth B Kodiak -recieved

Hi Laura,
    Welcome to the group! : )

Susie,
    I hope you're doing ok! And Thanks!
    Remy

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Hi Remy -
    Your hostess gift goes out in the morning hun.
    I haven't forgotten ya! ;-)

Tina

• mellen
    17 years ago

Remy, I see you have a question mark behind sent after CedarNests name? Here is the DC# if you'd like to look up on USPS to make sure that I sent her box yesterday-Oct. 25-like I said I did. 0305 1720 0001 3914 3858

Mary Ellen/Mellen

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Mellen,
    I do hope you didn't think I though you were not sending. I saw you said you had it ready to go. I know how crazy busy things can get with school because of my Godmother. She always had way too much to do.
    So sorry if I made it seem otherwise,
    Remy

• cedarnest
    17 years ago

My box arrived today from MaryEllen/Mellen.WOW!!! What a Great Box! My kitchen smells so wonderful right now from all the wonderful scented candles : ),Daylilie Sachet and Bath Salts you sent.I can't wait to bake the package of Watkins Apple Bread(Yummy)
    A thistle feeder for my goldfinches(They say "Thanks")
    The beautiful stained glass Oak Leaves and Acorns is hanging in my entryway.I just Love It!!
    My absolute Favorite is the Chubby Red Cardinal Pottery.(This is soo cute)I Love It!!
    The gift bag filled with seeds is adorable.I am especially jazzed about the different types of coneflowers.I didn't have any that you sent.I love them all : )
    I feel like I died and went to Tulip Heaven : ) I received,Red Parrot,Estelle Runveld,Blue Diamond,Orange Lion,Toronto,and Queen of The Night( I have been wanting Queen Of The Night Forever(My Earl May Ran Out Early so I thought..Maybe next year)Now I don't have to wait.Thank You!!! It is going to be nice this weekend so I can get them all in the ground. I wanted tulips so badly.Thanks for coming to my rescue Mary Ellen!Oh and did I say.... " I Love It All"....((Super Sized Hugs)),Nancy

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all,
    I received a wonderful hostess gift from Sassy today. It is a large metal tea light candle holder and extra candles. It has 3 jack-o-lanterns so each candle will shine through the faces. I don't think I'm describing it as lovely as it really is!
    Thank you so much Sassy!

Maryanne,
    I didn't have the computer protection turned off before, so I didn't see Bubba with the candy! Lol, he is so strong!

Nancy,
    It is great you love your box!

I think I caught Pink Eye. Has anyone ever had this? I've been feeling tired and sort of sick the past couple of days, and now my one eye is all bloodshot: (
    Ok, I could look on the bright side, I look scary just in time for Halloween, lol.
    Remy
    Remy

• irish_rose_grower
    17 years ago

HI everyone. I have Char's box packed and ready to deliver to the post office in the morning.

Here is the dc # 0305 0830 0000 4474 5719

Thanks for your patience Char. I hope you enjoy the bulb box I sent.

Maureen

• giverny4me
    17 years ago

Hi Remy---regarding the pinkeye, with my kids I remember it as being extremely contagious and itchy! Try not to rub it. On the other hand if its not itchy maybe its not pink eye which would be good. How about resting with a cool washcloth on it and seeing if that helps. Otherwise I would be off to the doctor, don't wait when your vision is involved. signed, Concerned Mom/lol /giverny/Susan

• mellen
    17 years ago

Nancy, I am sooo happy that you liked your box. It was fun putting it together for you. FYI, some of the newer coneflower varieties are not supposed to grow "true" to the parent, but some people like to try them anyway.

Remy, your hostess gift will be going out tomorrow. :)

I am headed outside to get more bulbs in the ground. We're
    "supposed" to have temps in the 60's and 70's today. We will see what happens. At least the sun is shining!

Mary Ellen

• skohler
    17 years ago

Hi ladies
    what a nice day my niece came over & helped me plant 200 blubs that were given to me :)))
    from a friend of hers :)) HEHE couldn't pass them up .
    I know there are red ,pinks blues, yellows, tulips
    blue diamond, giuseppe verdi,orange cassini, Judith leyster, upstar, red emperor narcissi - golden ducat
    & crocus -dorthy . she new all the names but did not have them seperated :((( so I have no idea as what color is where :)) .

Also just talked to jeanette tonight & she sent out daddys box saturday so he should have it by monday & I know it will make his day when it arrives :)))

wow mellen it was only in the low 60's here but it was sunny :)) Sure hope tomorrow is the same .
    have my brother coming to mulch up the leaves for me :))

hope all is well with everyone :)
    have a great week
    susie

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Maureen,
    Thanks for checking in! I'm sure Char will be very happy with what you send: )

Now, we just need Jenell. I hope everything is ok. I know last time she wrote, her child was sick.

Susie,
    You lucky lady! All those free bulbs, and free labor too!

Mellen,
    You're lucky too with those nice temps. I sure hope it is nice here tomorrow. I still have to plant my bulbs. Gary and I finished cutting up and cleaning up the area of the apple tree on Sat. so I did not have time to plant.

Mom/Susan, lol,
    Thanks for the advice. It got very red and had extra eye gunk for a few days, but it is almost gone now. It didn't itch though, so I don't know what it was, but I do feel a lot better too. So who knows?
    Remy

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Remy,
    Either you had a cold in your eye, or something in it. The dust, dirt in your eye will produce a lot of mucus to clear out the debris. According to our Dr. Pink eye doesn't go away on its own, an antibiotic ointment is needed to cure it.
    My kids have had it several times (kids pass it on in school). Luckily, we haven't had it in several years.

Deb

• lunamoon
    17 years ago

Michelle~ Your box is on it's way and should be there soon.

Remy~ Your hostess package should be arriving soon too.

I apologize for getting them out so late. I've had sick kids for the last couple of weeks making it hard to get out to the post office.

• skohler
    17 years ago

well If daddy could dance he may have done so today :)
    mailman brought him his box from #1 & well I Don't have to make allot for super tonight :))

Jeanette sent them choc chip cookies ,snicker dooles, sugar cookies, oatmeal raisin , carrot cake Muffins ,mmm
    Fudge & then topped it off with pumpkin Bread :))
    2 word search puzzle books that margaret has taken for she enjoys them ALLOT :)) & also a candle We Never Have enough Candles when the lights go out .

all these goodies were in Halloween resealable bags
    Just right for dady to use thank you jeanette for making his day brighter :))
    I hope you will have lots of great blooms next spring :)) .

well i do need to go put on a small super for him so he dosen't have a sugar rush :)))
    have a great evening all .
    hugs
    susie

• micke
    17 years ago

lunamoon, I was not worried, you are fine. I know how it is with kiddies.
    michelle

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all,
    I started a new thread for Jeanette. Please post the rest of your replies to #3.
    Thanks a bunch!
    Remy