Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ranegrow

Requesting Prayers

Hi everyone , I just wanted to come on here and say hello and to ask if everyone could send good thoughts and prayers my way , I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and I begin chemotherapy tomorrow... I have a long hard journey ahead of me and your prayers will help me get through this ;-)

~Iris

Comments (71)

• jaynine
    13 years ago

Sending good & positive thoughts your way. Stay strong.
    Janine

• roper2008
    13 years ago

Will be praying for you.

Linda

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Hi there Iris

I am sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. I know your journey is frightening, but with God's grace you will come through this and your health will be restored. Never underestimated the power of prayer. God bless you.

Sue

• flwrs4ever
    13 years ago

Hi Iris, I am soo sorry to hear that you are fighting cancer..please know you are in the thoughts and prayers of many! If you need anything... even just someone to chat with , let me know !

Sending many hugs, and positive thoughts your way !!

• alwaysagarden
    13 years ago

Hi Iris, thank you for posting and letting us know how we can help. Will be praying for you. When you feel weak may God keep you in His loving arms and surround you with great hope and peace.

Cindy

• beverlysc
    13 years ago

Many thoughts and prayers are with you. Eat good, stay busy..even though there will be times you don't feel like doing nothing..keep yourself occupied with something you like...cook, read,take a nap, find new plants on the web..whatever...don't get yourself so down over it. Take care of yourself.
    I'm doing a Breast Cancer Awareness Walk on October 23 and I'll put you on my list of people who are gonna beat this. You can and you will. Prayer is the best medicine...take care. Bev.

• carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

I ran across this some time ago and hope it offers you encouragement: "Don't tell God how big your storm is, tell the storm how big your God is."

Lifting you up to the Great Physician,
    Lynn

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone ,

Just wanted to post a heartfelt thank you for all the prayers and good thoughts, they are working , my treatment is going very well , I don't know how I could get thru this without the support of my dear family and friends here at home and here on GW ;-) " GW seed therapy " plus fresh air and sunshine are wonderful things ;-)I will never take them for granted again. Please continue to keep me in your thoughts and prayers .

Love you all,
    Iris

• diene
    13 years ago

Glad things are going well, I will keep you in my thoughts Iris.

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    13 years ago

Hi Iris, I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Glad to see you are back doing seed therapy in SS Swap!

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Iris,good to hear that your treatments are going well.
    It's a long haul but hang in there and know that friends are praying for you.
    hugs
    Bethb

• pumkingal
    13 years ago

Hi Iris;;
    You hang in their and think happy thoughts, remember peter pan,,happy thoughts goes a long ways,, helped me over the years,, you are in my prayers,
    Lisa

• mikey-gardener
    13 years ago

I just read your request for prayer and know for a fact that when Christ died on the cross he died for the healing of cancer in your body as well as others on this list, and since I too believe in prayer and the power of prayer will not only put you on my personal prayer list but also will be calling on the prayer warriors of local churches and elders for your complete healing according to the word of God

• poppy_power
    13 years ago

Prayers sent your way!
    I sent you a gweb email.
    Karla

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    13 years ago

I sure hope you've discontinued working at least temporarily while you battle this if there's any way you can do that, Iris. You need as much of your strength to battle this as possible. I'm continuing to pray and lift you up to God. All the messages are so loving, thoughtful, encouraging, and full of hope. It really touches me to read them all. You are much loved and cared for. There's real people behind these posts and a real God we're praying to in support of your healing. I pray you see a miracle, Iris. Our God can do ALL things!

Blessings,
    Angela

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello again everyone, well its been a long 4 months but I am finished with chemotherapy and I am now going in for surgery on Monday . I want to thank everyone for the thoughts , prayers and wonderful messages, they have really helped me thru this so far and I hope you will all continue to send good thoughts and healing prayers to me as I enter this next step to becoming cancer free ;-)

Iris

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

We will absolutely keep you in our prayers Iris and pray that all goes well with the surgery on Monday and that your healing is quick! Much love to you lady!

Hugs & Prayers,
    Wendy

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago

Iris, I will keep you in my prayers. Stay strong and keep faith in God. Here are a few beautiful verses that come to mind.

1)Bless the LORD, O my soul:
    and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
    2)Bless the LORD, O my soul,
    and forget not all his benefits:
    3)who forgiveth all thine iniquities;
    who healeth all thy diseases; who redeemeth thy life from destruction;
    4)who crowneth thee with loving-kindness and tender mercies

Psalms 103

Denise

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Iris, we are all still pulling and praying for you.
    Denise, that is a beautiful choice of verses.
    BB

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Iris -

I want you to know that I have been, and will continue to pray for your healing and complete remission. I pray the Lord will bless and keep you, and I know He will.

My mother had breast cancer when she was only twenty eight years old. She went through surgery and treatment and it was in remission for the rest of her life. She passed in 2008 due to complications from diabetes. I miss her dearly, but always remember what a fighter she was. She always kept her faith and muddled through.

I had endometrial cancer in 2008 and have been cancer free since my surgery. I believe that I will prevail with God's help to remain cancer free. So far all of my follow up doctor visits have been good news.

Please know that you are not alone. God bless you.

Sue N.

• roper2008
    13 years ago

I have included you in my nightly prayers since I first read your
    post and continue to do so. Will also pray that your surgery goes
    well.

God Bless

Linda

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

I am hoping and praying the surgery went well for you today Iris. Just know you're in our thoughts & prayers! Let us know how you are when you feel up to it.

Hugs,
    Wendy

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

I'm thinking about you Iris, and hoping all went well yesterday.
    Alana

• jodie74
    13 years ago

My thoughts & prayers go out to you & your loved ones!

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Ok Iris,

It's tuesday. Why aren't you back to gardening yet?
    :)

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone ,

Well surgery went well, I go home tomorrow ... I have more mobility in my arms and less soreness than I expected so I am thinking gardening will definitely be doable by next month ... Georgetown University Hospital is an excellent hospital , the nurses and doctors here are wonderful ... and anesthesia and pain meds are the bomb ! Thank you all for the good thoughts and prayers, they are definitely working ;-)

Iris

LOL Booberry , I told the doctors this morning that I have gardening to do when they said I would be up and about in no time ...

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Hi Iris,

I am glad to hear you are doing well. I know you're anxious to get to your gardening next month, and I think that a positive attitude is half the battle in recovery from surgery. God bless,

Sue N.

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago

Iris, I am so glad to hear all went well. Now it's time to plan for another season of growing. Yippeee!
    Denise

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Hi Iris

I was just wondering how your recovery is coming along. Hope you are doing well.

Sue N.

• Melinda Hagen
    13 years ago

Iris, I have continued to keep you in my prayers and thoughts! So glad surgery is over and things went well.
    Let us know how you are doing! Melinda

• Ann
    13 years ago

Iris, Sending more prayers your way - and the weather today adn tomorrow is a little bit of Spring in the DC area so I hope you can get outside and just soak up some sun. Ann

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone ! Well I have been home for a week now , the pain and discomfort is less today so I think I will plant some seeds ;-) supposed to be 66 and sunny today ... fresh air and sunshine is always the best therapy ( second only to gardening ) ;-) thank you all for the prayers and good wishes , it means so much to me that so many people are sending good health thoughts to me ...I know its working cause I have spring fever bad ! Love you all !

Iris

PS I think my hair is trying to grow back... I have peach fuzz now LOL

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

That's wonderful Iris!! :) I'm so happy to hear it! Get outside there and enjoy this beautiful weather!

Hugs,
    Wendy

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago

More beautiful weather for area again today Iris. Hope you have a wonderful day:)

Denise

• Ann
    13 years ago

Iris, Try not to think about the chance of snow flurries in the DC area for Monday! LOL Ann

Original Author
    13 years ago

Another update ;-) Pathology reports from my surgery came back yesterday ... complete pathological response to the chemo ... translation, no evidence of disease ... I am cancer free ;-) I feel truly blessed and I thank you all for the prayers and thoughts . I still have radiation to do as an added insurance against a reoccurence but I am beating this and I know its thanks to my wonderful family and friends here at home and on GW ... you are all so very awesome ! Thank you !

LOL Ann ... I was hoping for an early spring , spent about 4 hours outside Thursday in the fresh air and sunshine planting some pepper seeds and doing a bit more wintersowing ... it was the first day I felt halfway normal after the surgery and then the good news from my doctor yesterday ... snow flurries won't bother me too much .... but I am still wishing for more 70 degrees and sunny days soon .

Iris

• Melinda Hagen
    13 years ago

Iris, Hello! Just checking in to see how you are doing and how the radiation went. I trust you are well now and doing some gardening. My thoughts and prayers are still with you! Melinda

Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Melinda,

you've got mail !

Radiation has been put off till next week at the earliest ... back and forth to the doctors at Georgetown the past month ... ugh ... would rather be doing more wintersowing or starting seeds under my lights in the garage ... will do that tomorrow I hope ... its supposed to be 60 tomorrow ;-) Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend , thank you for the continued thoughts and prayers .

Iris

• Debra Andruska
    13 years ago

Iris,
    Your in my prayers too! I've checked the thread a few times to see how your doing. :)

Spring should be here soon- I'm excited! Temps are going to be near 60* this week-finally, our first warm day! Yay! I'll be outside cleaning up- and planning on what to grow this year! I'm behind in everything, I didn't even start any seeds yet. I have plans to start a few packages of seeds tomorrow! If I don't start them tomorrow, I'm going to run to a local nursery and see what they have available, LOL! I'm looking for an excuse to go!

Deb

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Iris,
    It is good to see you are doing well and that you've been WSing. Wonderful that you got a great report! It is also nice to see your arm isn't too bad. I lost arm function and of course it was my left arm, and I'm left handed. But as you know, we'll take all the crappy things because it means we're still alive and kicking : )
    You'll probably get tired easier for quite some time, so remember to take breaks and not worry about it. The house gets messy, the garden isn't perfect, but it is OK.
    Remy

• antiqueorchid
    13 years ago

Iris,

I hope you are up for getting outside Friday. The weather is suppose to be 70 or more. I hope everything is going well and that radiation treatment goes by quickly.

Denise

Original Author
    13 years ago

Deb, Remy , Denise and everyone,

thank you for the well wishes, I am feeling pretty good , not looking forward to radiation , starts next Wednesday, I have to do 33 treatments ... keep me in your thoughts and prayers that they do go by fast and I hope the fatigue associated with it won't keep me from my garden ;-) Denise, I have a dr appt Friday in DC, go figure ... but I hope I can do something in the yard if I get home before the warm day ends ...

Iris

PS Georgetown University Hospital is a wonderful hospital ! the doctors , nurses and everyone else who has taken care of me there are top notch ! Best care I have ever had !

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Hello Iris -

I just wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers. I hope you are tolerating the treatments well. God bless,

Sue N.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Well step 3 is done !! ... I am done with radiation ! yay ! thank you all for the well wishes and prayers ... I feel very blessed to have wonderful family and friends and everyone here on GW who I consider some of the finest people I have ever " met " I hope you all know how much your notes and emails have helped lift my spirits through the most difficult time of my life . ((( HUGS ))) to everyone !

Iris

• dirtdaddy
    12 years ago

Great news Iris! Garden on! dd

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Iris,

Oh Happy Day!!!!!! I have been saying my prayers for you and will continue to do so!!!

Annie.....with a big smile

• gardencraze
    12 years ago

Iris, I too will join the others in prayer

For I, the Lord your God, will hold your
    right hand, Saying to you, 'Fear not, I
    will help you.'
    ( Isaiah 41:13 *NKJV )
    Hugs, Carmen

• Debra Andruska
    12 years ago

Still thinking about you Iris! ;)
    Are you caught up with planting seeds? I finally had a chance to plant several pots. I'm so behind this year- but we had a few warm days so far, and everything's growing quickly! I also cheated and purchased a few hanging baskets. Walmart had baskets with multi colored petunias (huge) for $3.50! I couldn't pass up that deal!
    Beautiful established baskets-- blooming and colorful! It's going to take awhile for my seeds to bloom so it's nice to have instant color, LOL..

Hugs,
    Deb

• antiqueorchid
    12 years ago

YAY! So glad that you are through with the radiation. Now for enjoying a summer full of gardening. Did you get a chance to go to the MAG spring swap in Burtonsville, MD?

Anyway, take it easy and take care.

Denise

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all , Annie, dirtdaddy and Carmen for the thoughts and prayers ... Deb, I managed to do some wintersowing whenever I had a good day back in jan, feb and march so I have lots of seedlings to plant ... its great to get outside on these warm days of spring , I don't have as much energy as I used to but I am getting there ... Denise, I didn't get to the MAG swap ... one of these days I would like to ...

Iris