Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_mn

NEW: 3rd Annual- Named Variey / Rare / Unusual - Seed Exchange

Julie
17 years ago

Hi there!

I would like to welcome you to the 3rd Annual Rare/Named Variety seed exchange!

Carley had started this swap 2 years ago and had done a great job of hosting a very fun and rewarding exchange! I am sorry to say that she will not be able to host again this year. We will miss her- but we dont have to miss this great swap. I enjoyed this swap so much last year and would hate to see it go away- so- to keep this swap going again this year- I will do my best to carry on in her stead! I am new to hosting an exchange- but have been trained well by helping Lazyweeder in his "Wish List Swap" for a few years now.

This is an exchange for named variety, rare or unusual seeds whether they are annuals, perennials, vegetables, herbs, trees- any kind of seed will do- as long as it meets the criteria of named variety, rare or unusual seed.

Every one is welcome to join! This is not just for "Newbies" or "Old Hands"- it is for anyone wishing to participate!

You can send as many seed packs as you like- but only 5 packs of each specific seed. That way we can have a larger diversity of seeds to exchange. You will receive back as many packs as you sent in- and I will try to find a bonus from my seed stash for each of you!

If you are interested, please post below by November 4th. I will send you an E-Mail through your GW Page- with info you may need- and where to send your seeds.

Individually packaged and labeled trade ready seeds should be sent in a bubble mailer to me by November 11th with return postage equal to what it cost you to send, a list of things you would like or are interested in, or a copy of your want list from your trade page, what ever is easier- with your GW name on it. I will make every effort to fill your wants if the seeds are available! Maybe you could peek at otherÂs want lists and send a little something special their way... I hope to have all your new seeds back to you by Thanksgiving.

Just for clarification-

A named variety is a cultivar of a particular type of plant such as- Gaillardia ÂFanfareÂ. Gaillardia is the name of the plant, and ÂFanfair is the variety. Another example would be - Black Eyed Susan - Rudbeckia hirta ÂPrairie SunÂ. Rudbeckia hirta is the Latin name of the plant- ÂPrairie Sun is the variety- Black Eyed Susan is the common name, hirta is not a variety name. The color of the plant is usually not the variety name.

I figure the general amount of seed in each packet should be close to 6-12 for large seeds, 24 or so for the usual size and a nice healthy pinch of the tiny seed. If you are feeling generous- go right ahead- and know that your seeds will be well appreciated! Generosity has itÂs own rewards!!

Understanding rare seed is just that- rare and hard to find- the amounts may vary than the suggestions listed above- but please try to send the amount of seed you would like to receive. We all like to feel as good about the giving as the receiving.

If you have any questions at all- please let me know-

Thanks for looking, and hereÂs to a great swap!!

Julie

Comments (82)

• jselwa
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Please add me to this swap as well. Sounds like fun!!

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

I would like to join, please add me to your list.Thanks

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

Julie, would you please e-mail me your address? My GW e-mail does not work, please use my direct e-mail. Thanks

Deanie

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Hi Julie,
    I can not keep away, lol! I keep eyeing the post, so I guess it is about time I signed up.
    Please click on my email and not the box to contact me, seems some mail is not going through.
    Thanks,
    Remy

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi there ya'll-
    Welcome Antique Garden Fairy- Jselwa - Bogart Baby and Remy!
    So glad you all signed up!
    It is shaping up to be quite a nice exchange by the looks of things-
    As some of you 4 are having trouble with your mail accounts- look for mail from me- if you do not recieve a note today- email me through my page and I will send another to the return address- I wouldn't want you to miss out!
    Julie

• drippy
    17 years ago

Hi, Julie - I'd like to get in, please. I looked at this several times, but because I'm involved in a couple of other swaps, I wanted to be sure I'd be able to get seeds out by the deadline - and I can!

Thanks,
    Kim

• nettasaura
    17 years ago

Julie...I would like to join too!!! I have lots to share!!!
    Netta

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi there Netta and Kim!

It's great to have you join in the fun!

I trust every one has received a welcome/detail letter from me so far- If not please let me know-

Julie

• mamabirrd
    17 years ago

Hi Julie!
    I've been eyeing this one too and I think you better sign me up. Sounds like a great swap. I can't wait. I'm going to start packing some up tomorrow. : )

Hi Barb!

~Dawn

• barbamaman
    17 years ago

Hi Dawn!

You'll love this one - I got the most interesting assortment here! This year I'm sending in lots more seed.

Knowledgeable gardeners here, too, which means good vigorous seed. Great for newbies, too, if you like things out of the ordinary.

Barb

• fairydancer
    17 years ago

Sign me up Julie!

Deb
    fairydancer

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi there Dawn and Deb!

So glad you could join us!

Julie

• simplylisa
    17 years ago

If it is not too late please add me to this one too. Thanks for hosting.

Hugs,
    Lisa & Kayla

• northerngirlz3
    17 years ago

Hi there -
    I'd love to join. Thanks for hosting!
    Jen
    jennifer@itascapetproducts.com

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi there Lisa, Kayla and Jen!

Thanks for joining in on the fun!

Julie

• mamabirrd
    17 years ago

I've been eyeballing some of your lists already and got a few of the "wants" covered. ; ) This is gonna' be great fun!

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• barbamaman
    17 years ago

Today I mailed off my seeds to you, Julie! With our weather, and my seed ordering done, there's no point waiting around.

I may have sent more than 5 pkts. of a few - oops - DH heading off to the PO (we don't get delivery to the house we're so far out in the sticks) made me hurry. If I did, sorry, Julie!

Waiting will be hard for this swap. It's the best!

Barb

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi there y'all-
    Just a breif update- we have 27 posted members to our swap- and 14 more days to sign up and a few more than that to send in. I am really pleased with the turn out so far! I have a good feeling that we will really be giving some thanks come Thanksgiving this year, and all over again all during the next growng season!
    I want you all to know that my schedule will be quite busy till the 31st- so please- do not worry if I do not respond to any questions or new posts till then- I will do my best to check in- and keep connected with you all- but again- correspondence may have to wait till the 31st.
    Remember- this swap is for anyone to join in the fun- whether you have 5 seed packets that qualify- or many more! It is not about how many you can send in- it is about sharing and receiving the special seeds- those named varieties- the rare or unusual seeds- of any type- blooms- foliage- veg- herbs- woodies- you "name" it! And to me- it is also about spreading joy through our gardening with other gardeners.
    Thanks again for helping this to be a great exchange!

Julie

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey there- no worries Barb-
    With this many folks signed up a few more than 5 shouldn't really be a problem. It was a number I picked out of thin air in hopes that we wouldn't have too many duplicates sent to each person.
    Hey Lookie! Barb said she sent in her envelope!! WOO WHO!!! That means we are getting that much closer to getting our envelopes back!!
    Oh- I am excited!

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey there-
    I wanted you all to know- the first envelope for this swap from Barb has been received! Looks like there are several packets already designated for their new homes- and several more just waiting to be "hand picked" for us all!
    Oh- we are sure to have a great swap with such great folks and their seeds all in the mix!

Julie

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi again-
    Envelope #2 from Patty- "PattyGrow5" has arrived today!
    Things are looking good!

Julie

Oh- P.S.- be sure to add your GW name on your wish list inside your envelope! I would hate to get confused as to who was who, and who wanted what!
    Thanks- Julie

• sandysgardens
    17 years ago

Hey Julie - I just found this post and want to get signed up for the swap. With you hosting, I know it's going to be GREAT!

I look forward to hearing from you. Also if you need an extra hand some night, I can stop on my way home from work and help out.

Later
    Sandy

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Welcome Sandy!!

So good to hear from you again! I do hope your summer went well!
    I am so glad you joined in the fun! I agree- I know with all these great folks joining in- this swap will be GREAT!
    Thanks for the offer to help as well- you have saved me from myself before- don't be too surprised if I take ou up on your offer (again!)!

Look for mail....

Julie

• atravers
    17 years ago

Hi Julie.
    O.K. I've tried to resist signing up but I just can't any longer. I would really enjoy being part of this swap. I have a few rare ones to send along. Please sign me up!
    Thank you.
    Ann

• romando
    17 years ago

I wanna join! Is it too late?

Amanda 'romando'

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Hi Ann and Amanda!
    I came to look at peoples wish lists(I'm glad people want unusual veggies!) and I saw your posts. Somewhere in the above messages, Julie posted that she might not be able to come to the computer much until the 31st. As far I know, the swap is still open. She wrote that people must respond by Nov. 4th. I'm sure she'll be back to write to you both soon.
    Remy

• atravers
    17 years ago

Thanks Remy. No problem waiting. Appreciate you posting.
    Ann

• mallowmallow
    17 years ago

hello
    id like to join....thanks

pam
    mallowmallow

• millybug
    17 years ago

Hi Julie,
    I would Love to join too.
    Mildred
    millybug

• drippy
    17 years ago

Julie, my seeds are packed and ready to go - they'll be on their way to you Monday morning.

• simplylisa
    17 years ago

Wanted to let you know I sent my seeds yesterday. Please let me know when they get there. Thanks again for hosting.

Hugs,
    Lisa & Kayla

NEW E-MAIL: watchingthegardengrow@yahoo.com

• zabecc
    17 years ago

Julie-
    Seeds got mailed today. Conf# 0306 1070 0005 7900 7100
    Please let me know when they arrive.
    Thanks!
    -Elizabeth (zabecc)

• jselwa
    17 years ago

Julie, my seeds will be out to you tomorrow. Thanks again! Jenifer.

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi there- I'm back!
    Thanks so much for your patience while I was away!
    I want to say welcome to Amanda, Mildred, Pam and Ann! So glad to have you join our exchange! You all should have mail from me-
    I received 2 packets whil I was away- another from Barb- barbamaman (Thanks!) and one from Candy- I am pretty sure that is CandyCow- although no GW name - but the home town matches so I feel pretty sure about this envelope...
    I do think I may have made an error on my second envelope received- It was from Patty- I had 2 to choose from- and I think I guessed wrong. Patty_B emailed me that she had not gotten a confirmation from me for her sent seeds- Patty-B and Patty Grow5 look for mail from me soon- I am sorry for my error-
    PLEASE be sure to add your GW name on the inside note- or if you forgot- put it in the envelope- There are some of you I only can Identify by your GW Name- I do need that info to identify who's seeds are whose!
    Thanks so much for making this a great exchange-
    Julie

• romando
    17 years ago

My envelope went to the post office today! Look for it soon...

Amanda 'romando'

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I received Simply Lisa's seeds on halloween-
    Looks like there will be more arriving any day now!

We still have a few short days left for anyone thinking they may want to join in our fun! Just post below by November 4th- there is no minimum needed to enter- just the requirement that your seeds be a named variety- rare or unsusual! Even if you only have 1 type of seed to fit the bill- if you send in 5 packets of that 1 seed- you should receive 5 different packets back! All for the cost of postage only! It is a fun and easy way to grow more varieties in your garden- and you may even get that elusive treasure you always wanted- or receive a new to you favorite you never even knew existed!
    Don't be shy- post away!
    Julie

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Received seeds from Kim/Drippy And Deb/Fairydancer today-
    We have 33 participants including myself- 6 with their envelopes sent in and received so far- and 10 more days to get the seeds on their way-
    I do trust every one has received an e-mail from me with my addy and such-
    If not- please e-mail me through GW and let me know- and I will send you another note pronto!
    Julie

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Received seeds from Kim/Drippy And Deb/Fairydancer today-
    We have 33 participants including myself- 6 with their envelopes sent in and received so far- and 10 more days to get the seeds on their way-
    I do trust every one has received an e-mail from me with my addy and such-
    If not- please e-mail me through GW and let me know- and I will send you another note pronto!
    Julie

• mkruby7
    17 years ago

Mine are ready to go out in the next day or so.

mkruby7

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Hi Julie,

I wanted to make sure I could furnish seeds, and it looks good, so add me to the list! My email is in the exchange.

Thanks,
    Lime

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Welcome Lime!
    It's good to have you join in our fun! The more the merrier they say! Look for mail....
    I have received Zabecc/Elizabeth's seeds today-
    I am going to have to get a few large boxes to store these envelopes in till I start sorting....
    Oh- BTW- when you send in your seeds- dont skimp on the tape- one enve came partially open- good thing the sender had all of the seeds in a baggie inside the envelope so nothing was lost!
    Julie

• millybug
    17 years ago

Hey Julie,
    My seeds are flying your way.
    I posted them yesterday.
    I am rather new & really excited.
    I love to try new & unusal plants.
    I sent the best one's that I had.
    Wasn't sure if I sent enough or
    too many packets though.
    Wonder what the average sent is ?????
    Mildred
    Millybug

• northerngirlz3
    17 years ago

I mailed mine this morning. Can't wait!
    Jen

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

Hi Julie, just wanted to let you know that the seeds are in the mail.

• nettasaura
    17 years ago

Hey Julie...mailed mine today! DC# 0306 0320 0004 0367 7399
    Thanks!
    Netta

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey there ya'all-
    I wanted to give one last shout out for anyone still thinking about joining in on the fun- There is till the close of the day Saturday to sign up for this exchange- don't be shy and let this pass you by- Just post below before Sunday! If you have 1 type of seed that qualifies- just send in 5 packets of that seed and receive 5 different packets back! If you have more than 1 type- well you can send them all if you wish.... It is easy and fun!
    For those of you who have signed up- I will close this "New" invatational post- and start another "UPDATE" post with the same 3rd annual named variety/rare/unusual seed exchange subject line for us to use for the follow up posts on Sunday morning.
    I received envelopes from Romando/Amanda and JSelwa today! And I would like to add- this IS going to be a good swap for us all! I can tell already!! So many folks are digging deep to find their rare or unsusal or special named variety seeds- It can't help but be good for all of us!!
    Mildred- I do believe the smallest envelope received so far was about 20 packets- and the largest- over100! There really is no minimum- so no worries there!
    Have a good weekend!
    Julie

• atravers
    17 years ago

Hi Julie.
    My package went out to you in today's mail. They should get to you by mid-week at the latest. Thank you again for hosting this great swap. You've done a wonderful job organizing everything.
    Ann

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Hi Julie, I'll be mailing Monday. I had company and have been crazier than usual the past few days.
    Beth B

• lynnsherbs
    17 years ago

Hey Julie! It's getting cold out and you can sure tell by the activity at work. I should have your package in the mail by Monday!! I've been working on it in the evenings when we're watching tv. (I don't really watch, but he appreciates the companionship on the couch!). I picked some clematis seed heads today, the smaller types are being incredibly slow in setting up this year.

I'm excited and looking forward to seeing what you put together. If I can help over a Saturday let me know.

Lynn

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi there-
    The sign up for this exchange is now closed.
    I want to extend a BIG THANK YOU to all who have entered and have made this swap a joy for us all!
    For those of you who have signed up and have not sent your seeds- please try to have them in the mail by November 11th. I will do my best to see that they are on their way back to you by November 25th.
    I will open a new post for updates to this exchange.

He he he- Lynn! You have a chair full of seeds and chaff too! I hope I never spill a glass of water on that chair!!
    I still have 2 bags of bags left to clean- and a few seed heads left to gather... I too agree that many plants set seeds late or not too well at all- but- there is enough to share- and there is always next year!!

Thanks Again-

Julie