Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iheartroscoe

NEW: Incredible Edibles November Sign Up 'Clearly Cannable'

iheartroscoe
15 years ago

OK everyone, it's time for our Incredible Edibles November Swap!

This swap will include vegetable seeds that are good for canning or storing along with your favorite canning recipe. The swap will be for 6 - 8 packages of seeds and a recipe.

Sign-ups start today and will end October 24th and packages should be mailed by November 7th. Partners will be posted October 25th!

Let the sign-ups begin! :)

Comments (58)

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Is chutney sweet? LOL What is chutney anyway??? Going to google it now...

Sorry ladies, feeling silly today...

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Chili sauce? Tomato relish?

Ok here's my guess. See if this seems right to you. My aunt loves this stuff!

Chili Sauce

This is an old-fashioned type of food. Used as a relish for hotdogs and hamburgers. This is out of the Ball Blue Book. This makes 6-8 pints.

Ingredients

4 quarts chopped, peeled, cored tomatoes (about 24 large)
    2 cups chopped onions (about 2 large)
    2 cups seeded, chopped sweet red or green peppers (about 4, or use a combination or both)
    1 hot red pepper, finely chopped
    1 ½ cups sugar
    2 ½ cups vinegar
    1 tablespoon canning (or kosher) salt
    1 tablespoon celery seed
    1 teaspoon ginger
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon allspice
    1 teaspoon ground cloves

Combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil an cook gently for an 1 ½ to 2 hours. Stir frequently to prevent sticking. Ladle quickly into hot, clean jars, leaving ¼" headspace. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands on finger tight. Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Oooo that chili sauce sounds divine!! I think I am going to have to get a new spiral bound just for the recipes I pick up here at I.E.!! Another plus to belonging here :)

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Oops I meant 3-ring binder...duh, my daughter was quick to point out my stupidity of course LOL!!

• iheartroscoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I like to pretend to think I am able to can vegetables :)

I do have some awesome recipes, though! At least I have that going for me!

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Is it sweet or do you know miss booberry? I really don't know what it was called. All I do remember is when she asked me if I had ever eaten it I though EWW, NO!!!
    So maybe it had a name like Sweet Pepper relish or Sweet Onion Relish.
    I don't talk to her any more so I can't ask her either...lol.

I will keep that recipe and try it though, it does sound yummy ;)!

Thanks again, maybe I will be able to figure it out.

Sunny, don't worry we all knew what you meant! LOL.

:) Fran

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Fran, it is a little sweet and does have the consistency somewhat like that of a pickle relish.

• iheartroscoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have to make some Japanese Daikon Radish pickles today! I can't wait because these are one of my favorites :)

We had our first frost last night, but I think the rest of my daikons are still doing fine.

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Ok! I just found a stash of seeds that I bought for this swap a few weeks ago! Please sign me up!

• iheartroscoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We've got quite a few sign-ups already! And for those who asked, it's OK if you don't have a special recipe. You can also just pick a recipe that looks good :)

So far I've got
    -sunnyk
    -ejmoore510
    -southerncharm1
    -ncgardengirl
    -luvgardening2
    -booberry85
    -iheartroscoe

• frenchfrylegs1
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I am in ... I think I can find something to do with canning, after canning 219 jars of everything that was sitting still..LOL..hubby kept moving in fear of being stuffed in a jar! the cat just moved out!@! I am going to order today and make sure I have what I need!
    Polly

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

I am so undecided. I want to join very badly, but I do not can. Although, I would love to jar my tomatoes for sauce at some point. Right now, after skinning and seeded them, I put them into the freezer, but would be so nice if I could can.
    I assume your partner can tell you what they can so you know what kind of seeds to give them?
    So I am still undecided.
    Maybe some of you can give me some confidence and talk me into this (hint hint!) Christy

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

Ok, here goes nothing! ROFL!!!

Christy, you know that we love you right? LOL Well we do... Therefore we would love for you to join us in this swap. BECAUSE...
    1.You do not necessarily have to can/freeze persay...
    2.You could grow said veggies and devour them before they even hit the harvest bag/box/basket. hehehe ;)
    3.Veggie/Fruit selection is virtually endless! lol

On a more serious note, We really would love to have you join us! :)

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Yeah, Christy...what she said^^

Plus you may end up with a recipe that will jump start your canning bug!!:)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Come on, Christy! Don't be shy! Peer pressure! Peer pressure! Can you sense me making big puppy dog eyes in your general direction?! :)

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

Just an idea. I think there are a few of us, myself included that do not know how to can and maybe we can be matched with a partner that has more experience????

Christy, I felt the same way. I was unsure if I should join or not. I wanted to but I have no experience canning but I figured I could look up a recipe and explain to my partner about my situation.

Come on. Join us.

Nancy

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Nancy, that's a great idea. I also recommend that if you can find the time, go to your local library and check out The Ball Blue Book. It's kind of the "bible" to canning. I also recommend checking out there website.

If you want to get your feet wet, jams & jellies are generally the easiest to make.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ball Homecanning

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

Becky, Thanks! Yes! I purchased one of the Ball Canning books. I am not sure if it is the one you are mentioning or another. It is really scary to jump in and just do it. I need someone to hold my hand. I am afraid I might kill someone by not doing it right.

My sis knows how to can. She helped me can loads of tomatoes from the garden this year. I have to admit it is quite easy. I am way more confident now. Plus I have eaten the canned tomatoes and I am still here. :o)

Nancy

• booberry85
    15 years ago

When I first started canning, I found it very helpful to post questions on the Harvest forum about if a recipe was safe; can this be boiling water bath (BWB)canned; how long do I process, etc. There are several expert canners over there. Linda Lou and Katie C are master preservers and teach classes in food preservation. Annie and Readinglady, I don't believe have formal training, but have been canning for a long time and know what they're doing. There are others too. These are the people that stand out in my mind.

Take a look here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvest Forum

• iheartroscoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If everyone posts their canning experience here, I don't mind pairing partners based on experience. I'm sure it will help lots of people! :)

My experience is beginner. I know the basics, but not much more than that.

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Ok, you've twisted my arm (in a good way)! Add me to the list! Actually, I was hoping to get some unsual paste tomatoes to plant next year, so maybe a good place to start will be this swap.
    What a day, Today is my birthday and I have a sick 3 year old and a sick husband. Fun. SO I told them at least let me get out of the house for a bit by myself so I can go to the Staples. I am running low on seed envelopes.
    Anyway, maybe I will read up on these canning sites! Christy

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Happy birthday Christy! Sick husband means he has less energy to stop you from ordering seeds (or canning supplies!) I'm glad you decided to join the swap.

I'm an experienced (8 years) boiling water bath canner. I don't pressure can though.

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

• iheartroscoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Happy Birthday Christy! I'm glad you decided to join! Just think of it as another birthday present. :)

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRISTY!!!

and I am an intermediate canner...I do BWB but not pressure canning( I cant use a pressure canner on my cooktop) and I mainly can up pickles and pickled things, tomatoes and tomato sauce,salsas and applesauce.

• iheartroscoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There has to be more veggie loving canners out there! :)

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Thanks guys for the bithday wishes! And thanks for talking me into it! I really did want to join, and now I feel better about it!
    I always love to learn something new! Christy

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I just "advertised" on the Harvest Forum. Hopefully we'll get a few more takers.

• iheartroscoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We got a few more sign-ups since my last posting, so the list now looks like this!

-sunnyk
    -ejmoore510
    -southerncharm1
    -ncgardengirl
    -luvgardening2
    -booberry85
    -iheartroscoe
    -frenchfrylegs1
    -bonechickchris

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Hello to you all. ;) Just dropped in from the Harvest forum to see how this is going after booberry posted about it over there.

Also, if you are looking for safe canning recipes to trade, check out the National Center for Home Food Processing linked below. It is the final word so-to-speak on canning rules and regulations and also provides hundreds of tested and approved recipes.

Please be sure the recipes you trade are approved ones as there is tons of unsafe canning info floating around out there and the risks are nothing to smirk at. Old cookbooks, old family recipes, and outdated canning books (prior to 2004) can be dangerous to you and your family.

And please make sure you are following current canning guidelines too. Many rules have changed over the years ie: many things can no longer be canned safely and must be frozen instead, cooking recipes often can't be safely canned, tomatoes can't be canned without added lemon juice/acid, green beans MUST be pressure canned, and open kettle canning of anything is no longer allowed just to name a few.

If you have questions about canning or if you wish to learn more about it please join us on the Harvest forum whenever you get a chance. We always welcome new canners! ;)

Dave

PS: NCHFP offers a free online Intro to Canning course you can take in your spare time if interested and it is a great refresher course too.

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Thanks Dave! I'm glad you decided to post that over here. Lots of good information and good advice. I do like the National Canning For Home Food Preservation site (NCFHP). I appreciate the link.

• gardenkitteh
    15 years ago

sadly, I don't think I can do this month. Good luck, everyone, though!

• iheartroscoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great site, Dave! Thanks for the information!

• iheartroscoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Only a little over a week left to sign-up for this swap! Anymore takers? :)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

I can't wait to find out who our partners are.

I wanna know can you can vegetable beef soup safely and is so HOW? Exactly what is the process on this? I think I might want to try that next year. Any advice?

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Fran, vegetable beef soup would need to be pressure canned. It requires a pressure canner. I don't pressure can so I can't tell you more about it. The link Dave/Digdirt gave us has info on canning soups with meat in them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning soups with meat

• southerncharm1
    15 years ago

For the Prize drawing this month:

(Requirement - Sign up for the swap! :) )

Set of Ball Plastic Freezer Jars
    6 Types of Seeds

Lets see those sign ups! :)

• iheartroscoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sounds like a great prize, Kathy! :)

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Ooooo I hope I win LOL...that prize is fantastic!!!

• booberry85
    15 years ago

What a fun prize! I've only made freezer jams once.

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

When are we getting our partners for this? I can hardly wait!

Joan

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

Joan, You are as impatient as I am. I was wondering the same thing. I want my partner NOW. :o)

I think we have a few more days to wait. Hopefully, more will join. We need 1 more for sure.

Nancy

• iheartroscoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It would be great if one more joined :)

I'll be posting partners at the end of this week (October 25th).

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

I can't wait for my partner either....I was gonna post before you ladies did that I wanted to know, BUT I managed to refrain or is that restrain? Oh well, either way I was a good girl! hehe

Just a few more days now. Can't wait!!!

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I already have some things ready for my partner. One thing I wanted to get for my partner, I couldn't find today.

:(

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

I already put aside a few things...but this goves me a good excuse to go visit my favorite nursery!! :)

• veeja11
    15 years ago

sign me up please. thankyou carol

• iheartroscoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for signing up Carol! I think we now have an even number of people.

I already have some things for my partner, also. Just need a few more goodies for the package. :)

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

I don't suppose a girl could bribe you into bribe you into posting partners early, could she?? Name your price. Chocolate, a drink??? Hmmm????

Joan

• iheartroscoe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't mind posting partners early now, since we have an even number :)

I'll get the names together tonight and post partners either tonight or tomorrow!