Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattygrow5

UPDATE: Part 5-5th annual whats left on my want list swap

pattygrow5
14 years ago

Hi all sorry about that here is the new thread I have been busy going thru lists and making lists.

I have to admit I made some requests too not many but a few.

Now I have to get back to making lists because when these seeds start coming I won't have too much time to do it.

Patty

Comments (150)

• suecirish
    14 years ago

micyrey - that sounds so lovely! I am on my there, though. Last year for Valentine's Day, my husband put together for me a tall 4-shelf vinyl utility shelf unit and mounted shop lights with grow lights above each shelf. What a difference it made! Connie, there are all kinds of DIY set-ups on the internet that will definitely give you more bang for the buck than buying from one of the mail-order nurseries.

The room downstairs in our finished basement was supposed to be a workshop room for both DH and I to use for our projects. My plants and plant equipment definitely take up more space though. Wonder where I can sneak in a fishtank????

• ollierose
    14 years ago

Ja sil - I'm aware of the list that Angela provided, but you must have missed all the debate about using the search function on the list rather than reading it - spelling errors, the possibility of someone using a common name that you aren't aware of, etc. Additionally, I was asking you if you only reviewed part of the list as you did mention above that you only downloaded part of the list. I guess that means you're only sending seeds to certain people in this swap. Quite honestly, it doesn't seem fair to those that weren't on the portion of the list that you actually downloaded - if that is indeed the case.

I know many probably think I'm being crabby, but I honestly just want the swap to be fair to everyone and for all to have a pleasant experience.

• quiltingfox
    14 years ago

Oh Micyrey your basement garden sounds wonderful. Too bad we don't have basements where I live. My F-I-L is suppose to construct me some sort of temporary greenhouse for me to put my succulents in. If he does not get everything finished before cold weather I may have to temporarily move plants to the porch.

I mailed my seeds today - Yippee - Woo Hoo!!! That is an accomplishment worth celebrating - will have to have some of my M-I-L's fudge in a little bit. :-) My M-I-L turned 70 yesterday and she is still as spunky as ever - she doesn't sit still for long. Well now that my seeds are mailed off, time to get started making Christmas gifts and to work on my quilting.

Best to you,
    quiltingfox

• jacoblily
    14 years ago

Hi Patty, I removed Apricot Sprite Agastace from my want list. I realized that I had it already when I was going through everyone list. Sorry.
    Michelle

• conniesc
    14 years ago

thanks for the responses. I think I will try out the lowe's shop lights with a warm and a cool light. at this point I am experimenting and just having fun!!! I really wanted to see if others with more experience actually used the standard shop light idea or if that would have been a silly newbie mistake.

Patty my seeds are also in the mail as of this morning.

• suecirish
    14 years ago

I wish I could say I was mailing in my seeds. I spent all morning packing up seeds, and I'm only about a third of the way done. But I have 81 packs of seeds for 23 people so far, so that's not too bad. I had some rather unusual things that some folks wanted so I hope it will make them a bit happy.

• quiltingfox
    14 years ago

Temps are dropping fast here today. Suppose to be in the low 50's tonight and low 40's tomorrow night - brrrr! I was wearing a jacket and it was cold outside just now; my hands are even cold. And it is terribly wet here.

Back to my pillowcase stenciling project - embroidery was never my strong suit. Still trying to figure out how many threads to use out of 1 piece of floss. Tried 2 threads and was too thin looking - hmmm.

Hope everyone's families are doing well. Keeping Perennialfan273 and Angelady's families in my prayers.

And thank you to everyone who is sending in seeds for GW "Chrizty" and me. I am so excited about this swap. Hoping Patty and Angie host another one again next year.

Well off to make some hot chocolate and get warmed back up. And then maybe try to figure out how many pieces of thread I am suppose to use to embroidery with???

Best to you,
    quiltingfox

• debby_1
    14 years ago

This is in reference to Connie's question about lights for starting seeds. All I have used for years now are just the regular shop lights from walmart. I have a 4 shelve metal unit from Sams for about $80.00 and 2 sets of lights per shelf. The seeds are germinated in a warm spot and placed under the lights after sprouting. This has worked very well for me. For the past 2 years I've managed to start 44 geraniums per year plus bunches of annuals, perennials, and vegetables.
    Debby

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    14 years ago

We're back from the hospital now. Other than being really sick (throwing up after surgery) and being in some pain, which she has meds for, Autumn is recovering from surgery great. And, the best news for last.... She hears even the tiniest whisper in her left ear that was nearly unable to hear any noise at all before!!!... Actually, she can hear that way in both ears!!! WoooHoooooooooooooo! Thank you, everyone, for the thoughts and prayers that helped my baby girl (7 years old yesterday) get through this so fantasticly. You guys are the best extended family anyone could ask for! :-D

Blessings,
    Angela

Here is a link that might be useful: NEW All Player Compiled Want List Page

• quiltingfox
    14 years ago

I am hoping my F-I-L will make me a greenhouse at some point over the next several months. He already has some metal piping for the frame. But anyway, since I have never had a greenhouse before was wondering if any of you had any good suggestions or ideas of what do for functionality and for fun inside the greenhouse. And if you have pics that you can share of what the inside of your greenhouses look like that would really be cool to see - kind of like Country Gardens magazine where you get to peak inside the potting sheds of gardeners.

Best to you,
    quiltingfox

• quiltingfox
    14 years ago

Angela am so glad to hear your little girl Autumn is doing so well. :-)

Best to you,
    quiltingfox

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

I am so excited,guess what i bought today?
    Oh don't guess, i will just tell you.
    I was in the big city(Rockford,compared to my small town of 8,000 )
    any way, i went into Jo Ann Fabric,and i found these wonderful boxes,On the cover are muted colors of Sunflowers,the colors are Rust,orange,red,black whites cream,green a very soft gray,and yellow,They say:Always Fresh,Flowers,on the sides it says,Bouquets.The corners are reinforced with nice brass brackets,and they are deep,PERFECT,for storing my seeds,Just PERFECT i tell you.
    I paid $6.00 a piece for two,and $8.00,for the bigger one.
    They are beautiful.
    I am so excited,because,my house is very tiny,and right now, i have seeds in plain cardboard boxes,and a shoe box.Now, i can put the lid on them,and just keep them set out by the couch.A good day it was today! :0)

It is raining again,so after i went to Woodmans(do you guys have a woodmans grocery store by you,I love that store,and joAnns, i came straight home to make some chicken noodle soup,yum,yum,yum,simmering right now.
    Did any one else have a great find today,oh, i forgot,while at Jo Anns (the whole reason i went in there) i bought some nice clear plastic,6 yards for $ 9.00,will be great for WSing.
    Cheers,
    cAROL

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

Good news for your family Angela!! I hope your little girl recovers quickly -

Deb

• drippy
    14 years ago

Angela, so glad to hear your news, WOW! As gardeners, we get to see miracles all the time; still, it's such a humbling experience. EnJOY this time as Autumn discovers her new-found gift!

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Hi Angela,
    There are some here who do not know what has happened to your little Autum,but it sounds as though it was a wonderful day for all of you,she isn't home already is she?That is fast,in one of your other postings, you said she was having surgery today.I am a firm believer,that you get well so much faster when at home.
    What a gift to receive on her birthday,will she continue to hear more and more?
    I am sure you need a rest as well,big hugs to you Angela,i hope you get some rest the rest of the night.
    cAROL

• vikingkirken
    14 years ago

Yay Angela!! So great to hear! God is good =)

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago

I need Patty's address so that I can mail my seeds off.

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Angela - I'm so glad that your baby girl can hear! Praise The Lord...he is wonderful isn't he? Our prayers will be for a quick and pain free recovery. I know meds are used, but hopefully not for long.

cAROL - Yes I just arrived back home after a long trip running down a fantastic find. While off topic, I'm so excited about it...An antique heirloom Drexel Heritage Armoire made of solid Pecan wood. I won't even begin to tell the steal I got on it, but it was well worth the 1.5 hour trip two ways. Our home is so small and has no storage. I have been looking for a pc of furniture with cupboards or drawers or something to store stuff in to tidy up. It has two large shelves and 5 big drawers. LOL I see seed pkgs in one drawer already.

I was contemplating a press wood new cabinet when I thought I'd check the want ads...lo and behold...for less than the cabinets I was looking at...this wonderful pc of furniture.

It's just beautiful!

Toni

Toni

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Sorry I copied and pasted and posted my name twice lol. I'm stutter typing today. :)

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

I spent the afternoon at the county gardens. I won't say whether or not I illegally snatched some seeds. I will say that I saw a lot of seeds that I didn't take - only because I wasn't sure what they were.

I did see a bumblebee trying its hardest to get into some bottle gentian flowers. Was good for several minutes of entertainment before it gave up and went to pollinate some neighboring asters.

~CA

• pattygrow5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all I got another envie of seeds yesterday from Alana I have put off opening any so I could get most of my offerings packed up I got mine pretty much done except for the ones I have to harvest yet and the ones I will add at the end to make the envies good.So tonight I will start by opening and putting them in the baggies with the #'s on I at least got them marked and ready yesterday.
    Angela I am so glad Autumn is really doing well!!!!
    Could you update my few new wants at the top of my list I haven't added any for awhile but my my list isn't the same as my clickable
    proudgm03 I will send you my address
    I will post later if I get more seeds
    Patty

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

I don't know what i am doing wrong,but i just can not get on the site that you have set up Angaela,i click on the poting that you have,then i think it'd your name that comes up first,i can scrool down about mid page,if i want to look all the way to the bottom of the page,when i go to use my mouse, an hour glasscomes up,and stays that way, i have left it, at least 5 min.thinking it was just slow,but nothing ever happens after that.
    I have been packing sseds from the clickable list,gosh, i hope that list is the same,otherwise,well, i, i hope every one will be happy with what i send.
    Is the clickable list up dated as well?
    Thanks ,
    cAROL
    oh,i did do the ctrl-f, thingy also

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Angela, What great news. Thanks for the update.

Carol, I'd suggest you maybe doing a disk clean-up, since the whole page won't load.
    If your system is like mine (or similar) it is...
    Start
    all programs
    accessories
    System tools
    disk clean-up
    It will then 'calculate'. Once that is complete, check all the boxes that show they have stuff in them, and then lastly hit OK

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

I finished going through the want lists and whittled my submission to 400 packets, from 800 - woo hoo!!

I read Patty's post that said we can submit more then 250, just not receive more then 250, so I think I'm leaving it as is.

If you receive/grow a seed from me that reseeds prolifically, please don't hate the messenger. I'll be thinking "UGH" for you as I'm packing the baggie:)) I still have some of these flowers in my yard, so obviously they aren't THAT bad; and are beautiful, but if you garden like me and expect control in the chaos, again, "UGH".

Cleaning my yard this weekend and hoping to find more seeds!! I have regularly lugged the kids to a local xeric garden for seed "admiring". For some reason, a baggie of sought after, snatched, seeds never made it into the car. I must return to snatch more.

I also spotted an ornamental grass that MUST be grown in my yard. Couldn't stop traffic for seed snatching at that moment, so we'll be bike riding that way soon.

I have a problem...and my kids have the same affliction now.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

g'morning everyone!

Micyrey can I come live in your basement?? lol Do you have to overwinter ALL of your geraniums inside?? I have ONE I managed to wintersow and I am babying that baby very carefully! lol

Angela I'm so happy to hear that her surgery was a success!! That's awesome!

Toni - lol'ing at your stutter typing! :D

happy SATURDAY everyone!!

~Wendy / sassyb...

14 years ago

I updated the list with several updates. Janine has been wonderful helping me find some people who need updating. Thank you, Janine! If anyone else notices that someone has updated their list, please, send me an email.

Thank you, everyone! We're celebrating Autumn's birthday at today and family in from out of town today, so I'll be off having fun for the weekend. I'll be thinking about seeds again come Monday.... LOL

I really enjoy reading of all the great finds some of you are getting and about winter sowing, green house set ups, etc. Keep those awesome stories and insights coming!

Carol - Are you on dial-up? It might just be asking too much to get that big long list all at once. If you go by the clickable list of Angie's, you will definitely have the most recent updated version, so no worries there.

Blessings,
    Angela

• quiltingfox
    14 years ago

Angela am so glad Autumn is doing so well and will keep her in my prayers.

Well I have been very fortunate, my B-I-L gave me a metal frame and my F-I-L said he could convert it into a greenhouse over the next several months. I have never had a greenhouse before. This one will not have electrical power, but may possilby have a waterfaucet in it that I can connect to a waterhose. I garden off of a shoestring budget so if anyone has any frugal ideas of how to set up the inside of the greenhouse, shelving etc, anything that will help make it functional and fun, I would love to hear your comments.

Best to you and many thanks,
    quiltingfox

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

Another search idea for those with the clickable and dialup is to use the search function on GW. I open 2 pages, one that shows the clickable list of names of participants. Then on the other page, search for those wanting you seed. Then skim down the list of those wanting looking for names from those in the swap. When you find a match, click on the name in the clickable list. I have DSL, and here lately the updated list has been been freezing mine as well. Havent felt like fooling with the computer, so just did it this way.

By the way, Angela, I have updated my list as well.
    Tammy

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Angelady, If it isn't too much trouble, whenever you update the compiled list, would you mind putting the date in the link...like 10-24 NEW All Player Compiled Want List Page...just so I will always be checking the most recent one each time. When you update it, do you post a new link to both this thread and to the other one with the clickable links?

Sue

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Nop,I don't have dial up.It's ok, i am not having a problem with the click able list.Really.

I do have a question though,my friend gave me the smallest,littliest gourds,they are only 2 1/2 inches high, yellow, they rattle when i shake them,can i break these open,and grow the seed?They are from this year.I would love to try to grow these,they are so darn cute.
    cAROL

• ollierose
    14 years ago

I have a large amount of commercial wheat grass - cat grass seed. Please email me if you'd like some sent to you in the swap.

It's chilly and windy here today, so I've been packing seeds all day. I've got 132 packs ready to go so far and many many more to go! Woohoo!

Thanks!
    Diana

• pattygrow5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all, I got 2 fat envies of seeds from drippy today I am going to open the 6 envies tonight so when more come it's not as bad
    Thanks for the list updates Angela with all you have going on you still find time for us HUGS DOUBLE HUGS ONE FOR AUTUMN
    Patty

• smitties
    14 years ago

This swap is a big job but so worth it. I can't believe how many of you are already done. That's great. I have had two kids down with possibly the H1N1 flu. The first one came down on Tuesday and the second on Friday so I have been stuck in the house most of that time. This has been a good opportunity to get seed packets done although I think I am only half done. I am still waiting for the latest wet weather to dry up so I can do one last harvest.

I went to the store to pick up more plastic seed ziplocks and when I got home, realized they were not in the bag. GRRRRRR That shot that project for the day.

Angela, not sure of the story behind your daughter and her hearing but it sounds like a happy ending. I hope she continues a good recovery.

Margo

• sguanzon
    14 years ago

I know I'm really late but I've updated my "wants" list. I realized I had mostly unusual or hard to find seeds on it. It's a more friendly list now, I hope, just in case anyone wants to take a second look. Thanks.

Sue G. (sguanzon)

• gmom2-6boys
    14 years ago

Hi to all!

Sounds like everyone is having a great time with this trade. I am so glad. Because I am also. Tonight was card playing night with 10 people for potluck dinner. I have 3 kinds of soup left over and my house is clean from top to bottom. Hope this will give me time to work on my seeds. But if it is not raining when we get home from church I will have to work in the garden. I still have lots to put away and garlic to plant. I'm also going to try planting onion seed this fall and see what I get in the spring.

Ollilerose I could use some wheat grass. My seed is almost gone and mine didn't make seed this year. It is not on my list. Thank You

Time to go to bed. Have a great day tomorrow everyone.

gmom

14 years ago

quiltingfox - Oh, how exciting to get a greenhouse! We're planning to build one this winter, but I don't have any tips yet to share.

Sue (chemocurl) - When I update the compiled list, it's always on the same link/page, so every time you pull up the "old" link, it's the same as pulling up the "new" compiled list.

Patty - Thank you! I'll give her your hugs in the morning. :-) As for updating the list even now... well, seed swapping and updating the list is my form of relaxation... so is gardening.... I'm so glad I fell in love with it last fall... I have some quiet time with peace and the birds chirping. With four kids, you gotta do something to relax...

Margo - I do hope your kids recover quickly. They'll be in my prayers. As for my daughter, she had tubes put in her ears and her adnoids (sp?) taken out. She hasn't been able to hear much for about 2 years now. I was scared that it was permanent. We just got medical coverage finally and got her in as quickly as we could. The doctor felt it wasn't permanent damage and did surgery. It appears that she can hear normally now. Of course, that's the short version. We're elated, of course!

perennialfan273 - Are you and your mom doing okay? I'm know you're worried sick. Just put your faith in who you pray to... I'm continuing to pray here... I guess she's about 5 days away from surgery now, right?

Lastly, updates are done for the evening! Happy seed packing to all and to all a good night... hee hee

Blessings,
    Angela

• kilngod
    14 years ago

Angela - could you update my list on the master list? I must've not emailed/posted on the last update (and think I shifted slightly the parts below that one too -- so just cut and paste the whole part above the normal want list please). I know they're late and I might not get any of them, but just in case.

Thanks sooooo much!

Also, Sue/chemo might've meant that if you put the date either in the new link title, or better yet, put the update date at the top of the new list - then we know when it was last updated so that we don't page all through it only to find there are no changes since the last time we looked. For example: if we have it bookmarked, we get to see the newest list, but don't know if it's new or old (old as in "we already looked back through the current version, and don't need to do so again".)

Is this clear? or as the kids say now "Are ya feelin' me?" :)

Thanks a million-zillion!
    --Tina

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

I have my seeds packaged up and ready to go, so I will get them to the post office tomorrow.
    Angela, that is wonderful news about your daughter!
    I hope everyone is having a good fall. This group has so much enthusiasm. I can imagine how many postings and how much happiness will be expressed when the seeds arrive! Jeanne

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

There are 3 people with hypericum on their wish list and 1 with st johns wort. I don't know the name of this specific one but if you would like seeds for it please email me and I'll send another envy to patty with seeds.

agirlagirl
    ollierose
    kilngod
    conniesc

Lisa

14 years ago

Tina - I'm feeling ya! LOL! I've been updating the list twice a day, so you can pretty much assume that it's always a new version. I will go ahead and put the date at the top of the page, though, especially since it'll probably be slowing down some now. That's a great idea.

Blessings,
    Angela

Here is a link that might be useful: NEW All Player Compiled Want List Page (updated 10-25-09)

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Hello all you swaping,sowers,guess what,I am all done with my seeds!Yeaaaaaaa
    I was not ables to fullfill everys ones wants,but at least 159 of them.

Will you take a look at my list, i have been removing as i fill each want, i do not have a lot left, but if any of you want what i do have left,just let me know,ok.
    I know this is short notice, but i would like to mail out in the AM,to Patty.

If i miss any of your wants i can always make another mailing.
    Such a nice feeling to be done,Patty. your work is just beggining,:0(**sorry***,but,Thank You!

I am now going to make myself a big salad,and pop in a movie,i should be out side,it is so nice, but, i am hungry,and i need a break.
    Cheers
    cAROL

• perennialfan273
    14 years ago

Angela, thank you so much for your continued support. She really is doing just fine right now (I'm just thankful she's not in constant pain anymore...). I'm just really nervous about this surgery...

Ultimately, though, I knew it would have to get done. The doctors said that if she doesn't have it done it will continue to get worse. I'm hoping this is the ONLY TIME she has to go in. I've heard that some people have had this surgery done several times...

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    14 years ago

Angela, I just noticed that my want list hasn't been updated since I made some requests. Thanks Suzanne

• ibartoo
    14 years ago

HI Everyone, I think it may have been a blessing for all of us that I have been so sick I couldn't post. LOL. Anyway, I am packaging everyone's seeds and will have them mailed no later than wednesday of this week. Patty I hope that isn't too late, I am sorry for the delay. Thanks so much, Linda

• ggwrn
    14 years ago

A lot of people seem to be mailing their seeds already. I just want to make sure of the due date. I thought the date that I saw said November 25th is that right or are they due already??? I sure do hope it is November 25th or I have a lot of work to do.

Ginger

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Ginger, I think folks are mailing early to make Patty's job a bit easier. I'm not finished packaging or even harvesting lol. Have seeds drying and won't be done for a couple of weeks. So feel relieved that the due date is November 25th.

I'm hoping to have mine finished up long before then, but I'll get them on their way as soon as possible.

Toni

14 years ago

Congrats to those that are done already! Wow! You guys are fast!

perennialfan273 - I'm glad your mom is not in pain right now. Yah, I've heard, too, that sometimes there are numerous surgeries when it comes to the back. I'm praying this is the only one she needs as well. (((HUGS))) Thanks for the update.

Suzanne (hibiscusfan) - I got your update tonight. Please, always double-check to make sure I didn't mess anything up. I remember a request from you awhile back and thought I got it. I'm sorry if I overlooked it! I sure hate to make mistakes, but I'm not perfect yet for some reason. LOL

I'm relieved we don't have to mail until November 25th, too! We're heading out of town again on Tuesday. It's busy, busy...

Blessings,
    Angela

Here is a link that might be useful: NEW All Player Compiled Want List Page (updated 10-25-09)

• perennialfan273
    14 years ago

Okay, I think it's official. I DEFINITELY have the smallest want list in this entire swap. When I clicked on that link for the first time, I was so busy looking at everyone else's want lists that I couldn't even find my own, lol. What I wonder is, how the heck do you guys ever find the time to plant like 100 packets of seeds?!?! I know I would never be able to! My gardens aren't even big enough to hold that many plants (only live on 1/2 an acre)!!

• alwaysagarden
    14 years ago

Hi Angela,
    was just wondering how your friend is doing and if she has had her surgery yet for her ear? I was here reading the thread about 3 days ago and oh my gosh it is time to start a new one again! Think it is great how everyone is keeping each other up to date. Thanks for all your wonderful help Angela. ; )

Cindy

• alwaysagarden
    14 years ago

Angela I didn't realize it was your daughter till I read some of the earlier posts tonight. Oh how wonderful that she can hear!! What an incredible gift God has given to her for her birthday... and family too!

Cindy

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz