Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mchill320

NEW: Beans, Beans, Beans Swap

mchill320
11 years ago

Hi Everyone. It's time for the Beans, Beans, Beans swap. Anyone and everyone is welcome to join this swap.

Here are the rules:

This swap is beans only.

Please send me an email as soon as you can. Please send me a wish list so I can get you the Beans you would like.

You will receive the same amount of seed packets that you send in, a 1 for 1 swap.

Send in as many packs as you would like, there is no limit. Do not send more than 5 packs of the same variety, or will get the multiples sent back to you. Please put 10-16 seeds in each pack. A smaller amount for rare varieties is ok. You can send in extras if you would like so I have a variety of beans to send out to everyone.

Please send only viable beans, beans from the grocery store will not sprout.

Feel free to send in commercial beans and/or beans harvested from your own garden. Just please indicate if they are commercial or garden harvested on your packet and please include the year they were harvested. If you just harvested your, please allow them to dry so they don�t mold while in the package.

Please send beans that are no older than 2 years! No bean mixes.

Send your beans in a bubble envelope. However much it takes to send them in, please include that same amount in your package for its return. Also include if you can an address label, it is not required it just makes it easier for me to get your package back to you. Please include a list of what you are sending; this just helps me make sure that you don�t get back what you sent in.

If you are sending them in a bubble envelope, please make sure that the envelope is strong enough to protect the beans coming in and going out. I will reuse the same box/envelope that you sent your beans in to save you money.

I will hold sign ups for 2-3 weeks. Sign ups will end on November 15th. Please send in your seeds as soon as you can, so I can get them out to you quickly. Please send them in by November 25th.

If you have any questions or comments please let me know.

Thank You!

Michelle

Comments (73)

• graanieb
    11 years ago

Hi Michelle, I'd like to join, will send you email, thanks.

It's time for the RED BEAN SOUP or any bean soup or dish.
    Weather being so cold, hope you all are doing well.

Pole beans and cucumbers are a must in my garden, must plant seeds in March, looking for more varieties.

Have a good day, happy trades,

Bea

• mchill320
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Now we have:

habitat_gardener
    farmergirl2009
    naturegirl_2007
    hementia8
    BeesNeeds
    crystalline_ca
    graanieb
    domesticdiana
    dem_pa
    jas_il
    tomato
    spacetogrow
    MoonFire

If you have not gotten my address please send me an email right away so i can give you my address.
    Thanks.

• tormato
    11 years ago

Ellie,

Michelle didn't know what she signed up for. :)

There hasn't been a bean swap since 2010. So, after two years of growing, and a little bit of trading...it's looking like my package of 113 varieties (about 280 packs of beans) will be flooding her mailbox.

Gary

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

I would like to join but don't have a whole lot to offer, just some that I have grown out and saved (I got MBB real bad late in the summer):

Rattlesnake pole

Romano Pole

Jacob's cattle

Kebarika (origin Kenya, grew pretty well in z7)

• elliesfun
    11 years ago

Hey Gary,
    I have been spending about 2 1/2 hours this morning looking up beans. Wow! Can they taste that much different from each other? The past 3 years I have been planting mostly pole beans because they take up less room. But all my dry beans that I planted this year were bush. This spring going to plant more "pole" dry beans. My son has already built the garden box's for this year...31 box's total. That way I don't have to bend over quite so far.

Can't wait to see why kind of beans I will get in return. Snowed a couple of days ago and the stuff never melted off. Looks pretty grey out there so maybe we are in for some more 'white stuff'.

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Ellie

• graanieb
    11 years ago

I have White Hyacinth Beans, some pods and flowers still on the vine, very pretty and rare, not sure if you all want only edible beans because this one is ornamental only.

hope you have a good Sunday and nice weather, finally, ideal for us near New Orleans,

Bea

• spacetogrow
    11 years ago

Gary, wow!

However is Michelle going to be able to send you 280 different varieties of beans? Especially if she doesn't send you any varieties that you sent in? Uff-da.

It will be very interesting to see what comes of this swap!

• chefconnie
    11 years ago

Does this swap do anything nice for newbies with no bean seeds? I could send a self addressed mailer for a small variety sampling?

Thanks,
    Connie

• tormato
    11 years ago

Space,

I've explained it to Michelle that I would want to be treated like anyone else in the swap. Maybe it will be about 20, or so, different varieties for each of us.

The final total is 291 packs, going out today. That's less than the 300 I sent to the bean swap in 2010. I'm giving Michelle a break. :)

Gary

• graanieb
    11 years ago

Oh wow Gary, meant to say you being so generous won't be asking for any special treatment, wish you had your want list posted in your page, thank you very much.

Bea

• mchill320
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So far I've received packages from:
    dem_pa
    hementia8
    jas_il
    BeesNeeds
    crystalline_ca
    farmergirl2009
    diana tovar
    glynis3

so many beautiful beans and so many of them. its going to take awhile to sort through them all, i've got alot of sorting ahead. i am excited to see what other beans come in.

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

Hi Michelle...I just send you an email asking for your mailing addy...if I got it I can't find it...thanks, Dianne

• primrose1x3
    11 years ago

Michelle - Would love to join this swap & just sent you an email.

Thank you for doing this.

Karen

• tormato
    11 years ago

Bea,

I've never had a need for a want list.

Have you tried the cowpea variety Pigott Family Heirloom? It's from Washington Parish. I only sent in two packs, so if you want to reserve one, contact Michelle.

Gary

• mchill320
    Original Author
    11 years ago

today i got two more packages from:
    tormato
    chris (user name?)

• sassybutterfly_2008
    11 years ago

Michelle ~ I know it's past the sign up date but if it's not too late to join, I would really love to join in! I can get a package together and still meet your due date if you let me know today. :)

If you'll let me join, I would love to throw my name in for one of Gary's Pigott Family Heirloom packs. I have been wanting to try those for so long!

Thanks!
    Wendy / Sassyb.

• spacetogrow
    11 years ago

Gary,

Thanks for so much generosity! I hope you get some fun varieties that are new to you.

• elliesfun
    11 years ago

Michelle,

If no one else has claimed the other package of Pigott Family Heirloom Cowpeas, I would love it. Thanks!

Ellie

• mchill320
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sign ups are closed now. If you were unable to sign up and still want to join please send me an email. I still have a few packages to receive but i will start sorting through the beans and will put packages together.

Michelle

• primrose1x3
    11 years ago

Michelle - just fyi - yesterday, November 24, I sent you my seeds, plus a confirmation # via email.

karen

• sassybutterfly_2008
    11 years ago

Mine were mailed, please let me know when they arrive. Thanks so much for letting me join up last minute!! :)

~Wendy / Sassyb.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    11 years ago

Oh my... I am just drooling over the lists of what's being sent in ... and Gary... WOW!!! I only have a small amount to send in for the swap this year unfortunately, it was just not a good bean year for us. It's SO hard trying to narrow down my wish list though.. my goodness! lol

~Wendy / Sassyb.

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

Sorry ya'll...I got caught up in things goin on and missed the deadline to mail the beans in...I'll just wait til next years and maybe I'll have more beans to trade at that time anyways...this seems like such an awesome swap but I don't want to hold anyone back and my time frames are a bit sketchy at the moment...happy swapping everyone and it's good to know you all even if I don't participate :)...thanks, Dianne

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    11 years ago

Mailed mine before leaving to spend Thanksgiving with my children. Came home to my returned package indicating postage due....What? It was weighed and calculated at the P.O. I'm sorry, but it looks like I better pass on this exchange.

• mchill320
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's our current list:
    habitat_gardener (received)
    farmergirl2009 (received)
    naturegirl_2007 (still participating?)
    hementia8 (received)
    BeesNeeds (received)
    crystalline_ca (received)
    graanieB (waiting)
    domesticdiana (received)
    dem_pa (received)
    jas_il (received)
    tormato (received)
    spacetogrow (received)
    sassybutterfly_2008 (mailed)
    primerose1x3 (received)

I have a couple of packages to receive but I have started to put packages together. I should have them mailed out pretty soon.

• mchill320
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I also have:
    glynis3
    naturegirl_2007

• mchill320
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I also have:
    glynis3
    naturegirl_2007

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

Hubby mailed mine out today...hope it's not too late...thanks for waiting on me!

• mchill320
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This weekend I received:
    sassybutterfly_2008

Still waiting on:
    MoonFire
    graanieB

I will start sending out packages pretty soon. Thanks for being patient.

• elliesfun
    11 years ago

I have a question regarding planting beans. Will they cross if planted close together I mean 10' or so apart? Since I have only grown Blue Lake pole for canning and maybe 3-4 dry bush beans I have been wondering about keeping them pure.

Ellie

• dem_pa
    11 years ago

I was always told most of the beans are pollinated before the blossum opens.

• hementia8
    11 years ago

True, however limas and cowpeas can be pollinated by bumble bees
    I try to have something else blooming thst they prefer and space each variety as far apart as I can.
    Charlie

• mchill320
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I received MoonFire's package. I am putting packages together now. I will start sending them out this weekend. Please be patient I am in the middle of preparing for finals at school but I am making the time to get these packages out.
    Thanks, Michelle

• habitat_gardener
    11 years ago

Thanks Michelle and everyone! I received my package today. What a gorgeous selection of interesting beans -- including some that I'll need to research! I grew 27 varieties this year and it looks like I'll need to expand next year.

• MoonFire
    11 years ago

Got my beans today!!! am super excited to try some new ones this comin bean season and hopefully will have more varieties to send in next year also...thanks bunches Michelle for hosting this swap and thanks all for sharing your beans with me...it also makes me feel good to think about sharing with people from all different places when i grow and eat them...Merry Christmas ya'll :) and many blessings, Dianne

• domesticdiana
    11 years ago

I received my beans today! I shall leave positive feedback for the host. Merry Christmas everyone! :)

• jas_il
    11 years ago

My package came yesterday and am very happy about it. Thanks Michelle for hosting a nice swap. Many varieties look new to me and I still have to read the info about them and very excited about them. Can't wait to grow them. Thank you so much.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

• primrose1x3
    11 years ago

The beans came yesterday, and a very interesting little "hill of beans" they made indeed :) Looking forward to trying such unusual varieties - thank you all.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    11 years ago

Wow! Thanks for letting me resend my package and still be part of the swap. I received lots of new-to-me beans. Mchill did a great job matching everyone's donations to my wish list. Even the rather odd request for "beans with farm animal names" was filled....Jacob's cattle bean, dapple gray, and painted pony will likely be in my farmyard themed area next season. Not so sure if rattlesnake, flamingo, canide, orca, and Selma Zebra will go there or elsewhere :) I love them all. Thanks mchill for hosting and thanks to all who sent seeds in for the swap.

• elliesfun
    11 years ago

Looks like everyone is receiving great packages. I can hardly wait until mine comes. Since the swap started I have been doing a lot of research on the different beans and finding its very interesting as to what a person is saying about ones they have planted before. It's going to be some gardening year I can see that. Thanks for hosting Michelle and hope your finals went well.

Ellie

• tormato
    11 years ago

Naturegirl,

I named Flamingo after the lawn ornament (not the real bird). So, your "elsewhere" could be the front yard. :)

Gary

• mchill320
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i will get the rest out this weekend. Thanks for being patient I am taking my last finals today.
    I was not able to swap all of Gary's 291 beans but I was able to trade alot of them.
    I hope you guys have a Merry Christmas.

• mchill320
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I sent the rest of the packages out on saturday, I am so sorry for the delay. Please send me an email with feedback, what do you think needs to be changed?

• dem_pa
    11 years ago

I received my seeds today. Thanks to all who shared their seeds and thanks to a great hostess.

Don

• elliesfun
    11 years ago

I received my package today and want to thank you so very much. A couple of the beans are huge...going to look them up tonight. Thank you Michelle for hosting the swap and everyone that sent in beans. Happy New Year to you all.

Ellie

• hementia8
    11 years ago

I too received my seeds today
    Thanks all who made it possible for a great swap
    A special thanks to Michelle for the hard work that made this swap a sucess.
    Charlie

• sassybutterfly_2008
    11 years ago

I am truly THRILLED with my package selection! Thanks so very much for hosting and taking such care choosing varieties for everyone. You did a fantastic job! :)

(I need to move near Gary tho... wow, I would love to see that sort of harvest going on! ) :))

~Wendy

• spacetogrow
    11 years ago

I received the package over the weekend. I'll definitely need to do some research with all that variety!

Thank you, Michelle, and all who participated. Have a great growing season this year.

• beesneeds
    11 years ago

I got in my beans a few days ago, but things have been crazy here, sorry for not posting sooner.
    Thank you to everyone that was in the swap, I got a bunch of beans I've been wanting to try out :)

• crystalline_ca
    11 years ago

Hi Michelle,
    I just came back from vacation and found the package of seeds.
    Thanks so much for a great selection and a number of my wishes filled.