Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

NEW: Color of the Month Swap for October = Orange

highalttransplant
13 years ago

{{gwi:422577}}

The color of the month swap for October is ORANGE. We will need at least 5 people to sign up for this swap to go forward. POST HERE if you would like to participate. After signing up here on this thread, please send me an e-mail with your full name & address and your GardenWeb name. I will send out my address after there are at least 5 responders.

DEADLINE FOR SIGNING UP: October 18th

DEADLINE FOR SENDING SEEDS: October 25th

You may include seeds that produce ORANGE flowers, foliage, fruits, or vegetables, or just have the word "ORANGE" in their names!

You may send flower seeds, vegetable/herb seeds, or a mix.

(Please specify what you would like back: edible, non-edibles, or a mix of both)

I will do my best to fill your request, but it all depends on what is sent in!

Absolutely NO Invasive Plants or Noxious Weeds!!!!

Please send seeds no older than 2 years old.

Please include on the packet label: the seed's name (be as specific as possible), whether your seeds are from a commercial source or hand-collected, and the year stamped on the package if it's commercial seed, or the year harvested if it was hand collected.

The limit for all of the color swaps is 10 packs, but please feel free to send in extras. These will be counted as bonus packs and I will try to send bonuses back to those who send them in. You can send in as little as 1 pack of seeds, there is no minimum to send in.

Please send in the number of seeds that you would be comfortable receiving yourself depending on the variety. There should be a minimum of 10 seeds per pack.

Please send only 1 pack per variety. Again, you may send more than one pack of a certain variety, but please know that they will be counted as 'extras'. So each variety will be counted as one trade.

Orange is one of my favorite colors, and my garden has lots of orange. Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

Bonnie

Comments (32)

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yipee!!
    Please sign me up.
    Alana

• Angela
    13 years ago

me, me too-- My favorite color, but it's first year and I don't have much to send.

These swaps are addictive :)

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome to the swap!

So far we have:
    Poisondartfrog/Alana
    Silver Cat
    Shanta (from Canada)
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

{{gwi:251040}}

So are you guys interested in flowers, edibles, or both? There's lots of orange edibles - pumpkins, carrots, winter squash, peppers, tomatoes, and melons.

When you send me your email address, just let me know what you are interested in, or just include a note with your seeds indicating your preference.

Bonnie

• dem_pa
    13 years ago

Add me to the list.

Don

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad to have you with us, Don!

That makes five now:

Poisondartfrog/Alana
    Silver Cat
    Shanta (from Canada)
    Dem pa/Don
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

Here is an orange that I collected seeds from yesterday.

Tithonia 'Fiesta Del Sol'

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bumping this up, since there is still time to sign up : )

Bonnie

• maozamom NE Ohio
    13 years ago

I'm a big fan of orange too, and would love to participate if this is still open.

mao

• jaynine
    13 years ago

Count me in.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad to see some more people sign up!

Here's the list of participants:
    Poisondartfrog/Alana
    Silver Cat
    Shanta (from Canada)
    Dem pa/Don
    Mao tse mom/Mao
    Jaynine
    Highalttransplant/Bonnie

{{gwi:422572}}

There's one more week left to sign up. If you don't have my mailing address, please send me an email, and I will get that to you. Also, I'll need to know if you just want flowers, or if you are interested in edibles, or both.

Thanks,
    Bonnie

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

My orange seeds are ready Bonnie-I just need your address.
    Thanks, Alana

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Alana, I emailed it to you. Let me know if you don't receive it.

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

I mailed mine today.
    Thanks!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great, Alana! I'll keep my eye out for it. Only a couple people have emailed me requesting my mailing address, so I'm assuming the rest of you guys already have it from a previous swap. If you need it, email me, or post here, so that I can get it to you.

There's still 4 more days left to sign up.

Here's a little something for those of you that are interested in edibles.

Those were all picked last weekend. We had a little light frost last night, but still no hard freeze here yet. How about you guys?

Bonnie

• jaynine
    13 years ago

Hi Bonnie,
    My seeds are ready to go~just need your address, please. Thanks.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jaynine, just sent you an email. Let me know if you don't receive it.

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Guys! Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Tomorrow is the last day to sign up for this swap, so now is the time for all lurkers to come out of hiding, and declare their love for orange. Remember, there is no minimum number of packets to send in, so even if you only have a few things, you can still join in.

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wish we had more participants to increase the variety that everyone will get back, but it should still be a good swap. Recieved Alana's package yesterday.

So here is the final list of participants, with a * by the ones I have received:
    * Poisondartfrog/Alana
    Silver Cat
    Shanta (from Canada)
    Dem pa/Don
    Mao tse mom/Mao
    Jaynine
    * Highalttransplant/Bonnie

Seeds are due by the 25th, so hopefully everyone has already started packaging their seeds up by now.

Bonnie

• jaynine
    13 years ago

Mine are on their way.

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Received two more packages today. Here is the updated list:

* Poisondartfrog/Alana
    Silver Cat
    * Shanta (from Canada)
    * Dem pa/Don - Nice selection! I see something from my wishlist in there : )
    Mao tse mom/Mao
    Jaynine

Baked one of our Early Sweet Sugar pumpkins yesterday, then made a huge batch of yummy muffins. One down, and about 29 more to go, LOL! I see pumpkin bread, pumpkin pies, and pumpkin waffles in our future : )

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No packages today. I'll send an email reminder to those of you I haven't heard from yet.

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Crazy winds this morning, along with heavy rain, and now it is snowing. The forecasted low by Wednesday is mid-teens. Welcome to autumn in the Rockies!!!

Received one more package today. Here is the updated list:

* Poisondartfrog/Alana
    Silver Cat - dropped out
    * Shanta (from Canada)
    * Dem pa/Don - Nice selection! I see something from my wishlist in there : )
    Mao tse mom/Mao - on its way
    * Jaynine

Two more pumpkins in the oven this morning, but doesn't look like I've put a dent in them yet. Feel free to post you favorite pumpkin recipes for me : )

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Received Mao's package today.

I'm going to ask you guys to be a bit patient with me on the sorting though. Tomorrow, all three of my kids have school parties, and they go to school in three different towns. Sunday is Halloween, and we have a church function that day, which requires some baking to be done on Saturday. I promise to try to get it done on Monday, and get them back in the mail by mid-week.

I appreciate your understanding,
    Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good afternoon!

All of the seeds have been sorted, and the packages are ready to go. Hoping to make it to the post office before they close this afternoon, but if I can't, they will go out first thing in the morning.

Please post when you receive your package, so that I will know your seeds arrived.

Thank you for joining the swap, and I hope everyone has enjoyed it!

Bonnie

• dem_pa
    13 years ago

I received my seeds today. Thanks for a great variety of seeds. Thanks too to a generous hostess.

Don

• maozamom NE Ohio
    13 years ago

My seeds came today too. I'm so looking forward to seeing more orange in my garden next year. Thank you Bonnie for hosting this swap.

mao

• jaynine
    13 years ago

My seeds came today~what a nice assortment. Great job, Bonnie. Thank you everyone!

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

I got mine yesterday. Nice job Bonnie!
    Thanks everyone,
    Alana

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Okay... getting curious here. Early in the year when plans were being made, I signed up to be hostess for the December Swap. Is there going to be a November swap? If not --- and if no one minds, I might like to start my December Swap (Silver and Gold) a few weeks early before everyone gets too tied up with the Christmas rush. Can someone let me know?
    Thanks!
    Jeanne

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm glad to hear that everyone's seeds arrived so quickly!

Jeanne, I believe Penny (Cybermeows) was scheduled to host the rainbow colored swap for November, so you might want to email her first, before you start the Silver & Gold swap.

Bonnie

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Thank, Bonnie. I sent an e-mail message to her. If I don't hear back from her saying that I should start mine early, I will just wait until Dec. 1 or later to post the Silver & Gold swap. Makes no difference. I was just trying to move ahead of the Christmas mail if there was no November Color Swap. LOL
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Please so not sign up prior to December 1, but I wanted to start people thinking about this one. It's the last 2010 installment of the Colors of the Month Swaps. I have been looking forward to being hostess for this one for a long time!

You do remember the carol about silver and gold, don't you? That's why I selected these colors for December. Silver and gold, silver and gold
    Ev'ryone wishes for silver and gold
    How do you measure its worth?
    Just by the pleasure it gives here on earth.

Silver and gold, silver and gold
    Mean so much more when I see
    Silver and gold decorations
    On ev'ry Christmas tree.

We will need at least 5 people to sign up for this swap to go forward. POST HERE if you would like to participate. After signing up here on this thread, please send me an e-mail with your full name & address and your GardenWeb name. If you fail to do that, you will not be included in the swap. I will send out my address after Dec. 1 and after there are at least 5 responders. If there are fewer than 5 responders, I will just post here that the swap has been cancelled. Sure hope that doesn't happen!

DEADLINE FOR SIGNING UP: December 12th

DEADLINE FOR SENDING SEEDS: December 20th

I will get the seeds mailed back out to you by the end of the month. They may or may not make it to you by Dec. 31, but if not - they will definitely be there by early January. You just have to wonder how the mail service will become bogged down with the Christmas rush.

You may include seeds that produce silver or gold flowers, foliage, fruits, or vegetables, or just have the word "Silver" or "Gold" in their names!

You may send flower seeds, vegetable/herb seeds, or a mix.
    (Please specify what you would like back: edible, non-edibles, or a mix of both.) I will do my best to fill your request, but it all depends on what is sent in!

Absolutely NO Invasive Plants or Noxious Weeds!!!!
    Please send seeds no older than 2 years old.

Please send unused postage stamps in the amount that it costs you to mail to me so that I can use them to mail the seeds back to you and include a mailing label with your correct address. Also, please make sure you send a padded envelope that can withstand a second mailing or add a smaller one inside your large envelope. Sometimes they come in a bit tattered or it is hard to cover up the original address information so anything you can do to make that part easier for me, I will appreciate it.

Please include on the packet label: the seed's name (be as specific as possible), whether your seeds are from a commercial source or hand-collected, and the year stamped on the package if it's commercial seed, or the year harvested if it was hand collected.

The packet limit for each color is no more than 5 packets of a single variety of silver seeds and no more than 5 packets of a single variety of gold seeds. Feel free to send in extras. These will be counted as bonus packs and I will try to send bonuses back to those who send them in, but again that depends on what is received. You can send in as little as 1 pack of seeds, there is no minimum to send in.

As for the number of seeds in each packet, please send in the number of seeds that you would be comfortable receiving yourself. Some of this depends on the variety. Weather was a factor this year, too. I know some plants did not produce as many seeds as usual (at least here in SC because of the heat and drought) and maybe other places had those issues, too, or maybe too much rain. However, knowing that I had signed up to be hostess for this swap, I bought some Silver and/or Gold seeds when I saw them earlier in the year so there are some here waiting to be swapped!

As for the colors, a gray will be counted as silver (for example Dusty Miller), a deep yellow will be counted as gold (for example Marigold Mumsy Orange) --- and there is that word in there, too - MariGOLD!!! Think about Touchstone Gold Beets, Pumpkin Autumn Gold, Plectranthus Silver Shield. Anyway, there are plenty to select from.

{{gwi:1257856}}

I hope you will join in. Any questions, please let me know.
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Sorry all, this was meant to go under a new heading. I am taking care of that now. Sign up for the Silver and Gold Swap under the new heading, not here.
    Jeanne