Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mellen_gw

new: new: obf november-giving thanks

mellen
15 years ago

Photobucket

If you would like to join Our Best Friend Group Please contact Britneygran (SHIRLEY) Or Veeja11 (CAROL)

Thanksgiving Friends

Thanksgiving is a time

For reviewing what we treasure,

The people we hold dear,

Who give us so much pleasure.

Without all of you as my friend,

Life would be a bore;

Having all of you in my life

Is what IÂm thankful for.

By Joanna Fuchs

This month is going to be very simple and the cost will be very small. I would like to have us send Thanksgiving cards to each other. If you are interested in doing this, please sign up. After people have signed up, I will give you the name of the person that you will send a Thanksgiving card to.

Our group has come a long ways since our beginning almost 2 years ago if I recall correctly. We have had many ups and a few downs. These are what have made us the friends that we are to each other. I believe that in sending a card to a friend here is a nice way to show our appreciation for each other, and it is a way to thank your Bloomin' Friend how thankful you are for her.

Sign-ups begin now and will close at the end of the day on Monday, November 10. This should give enough time for us to get partners, addresses, and still be in time for Thanksgiving.

I am thankful for ALL of you,

Mary Ellen/Mellen

Comments (117)

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

Bunny~ I think it was decided on cards only.Someone let me know if I'm wrong!

I'm willing to host Dec's swap if no one else wants to.

Later....April

• mellen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Melissa, yes, it is a card only.

April, thanks for stepping up and offering to take December. You're a peach!

Mary Ellen

• mellen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is the line up of who send to who:

Amy sends to
    Theresa who sends to
    April who sends to
    Jenell who sends to
    Shirley who sends to
    Sue G. who sends to
    Remy who sends to
    Melissa who sends to
    Maryanne who sends to
    Jeanne who sends to
    Carol who sends to
    Margaret who sends to
    Mary Ellen who sends to
    Amy.

Please send a Thanksgiving card to your partner before Thanksgiving Day which is November 27.

You can contact Shirley, Carol, or myself for most addresses.

Thanks, all, for joining! You are all truly special!!!
    Mary Ellen

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Susie, Anita & Annie-So sorry to see you leave the group. Love you and wish the best for you.

April-Thank you so much for taking the Christmas swap.

Mary Ellen-I received your beautiful card today. Thank you so much for thinking of me it really means alot to me.

Shirley

• mellen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hello all! I am in need of Amy's address. Amy, if you see this would you please e-mail me with it? Or maybe someone else has it? I would surely appreciate it. Hope all of you are having a super day! Still thinking of you Deb and Shirley.
    Mary Ellen

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    I just got home from a food safety seminar. I know way too much food safety info!!

Hi Melissa,
    I'm glad I got picked to send to you! How you feeling? Eating a lot of Halloween candy and putting on a few pounds? : )

Shirley,
    (responding to last Friday's post)You're welcome : ) I hope your family is doing ok.

Mellen,
    I think I still only have Amy's old address.
    Talk to you later,
    Remy

• margaret_2007
    15 years ago

Hi, Ladies-Somewhere in out space there is another message I was trying to send! Oh, well, I hope this one doesn't disappear also! Thanks so much, Mary Ellen, for posting the names for cards & it was great getting yours. You have done an excellent job of taking care of this RR & I know we all appreciate it. All of you ladies are on my "thankful for" list this year. I haven't been a member too long but have really enjoyed the communication & exchanges so far. Shirley & Deb-please know that I will be praying for you much as the holidays are upon us. They can be so stressful without the loss of precious ones added to them. Please take care of yourselves at this time & trust God for strength & comfort. Blessings, Margaret

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

Afternoon All!

What is everyone doing for Thanksgiving? Any big trips to vist the out.. I mean... IN-laws? No trips for us. Plan on smoking a turkey & the kids want a oreo cheesecake for dessert. I have until a few nights before to locate the recipe for it! LOL!! It's around here....somewhere....
    later...April

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    I finally sat down to read my Horticulture Mag. On it I noticed a renew your subscription get 2 free gift subscriptions!! Some of you remember this happened a few years ago, and I offered a contest to make it fair. So I'm going to do it again : )
    I think I came up with a good one because you can't google the answer, lol. My list of roses(except the new ones I just got. I need to update.)is on My Page. Please guess which rose I first planted. There are 2, and I'm not sure which I planted first. I just know they are the two survivors of when I didn't really know what I was doing, lol. So since there are two answers, it will be perfect.
    Good Luck!

Amy,
    Love the pic! Oreo cheesecake sounds yummy. My mother-in-law called today to say she doesn't want to cook so we are going out to eat. That's a lot of people and a big bill, but hey if she wants to do it, ok.

Margaret,
    I hate when I forget to hit submit. Of course it is never after a quick message. It is always after I've written a story, lol.
    Have a good night,
    Remy

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

We don't have any plans as of yet. We've been having Thanksgiving dinner at our house for the past few years, but I'm not sure I'll feel up to it this year. Hubby does make a mean turkey, though! He bakes it in the oven until it's 3/4 done, drenching it in honey & butter the entire time...and then he puts it in the smoker for 2 hours or so. Simple, but....Mmmmm! I've yet to have a better turkey!

That oreo cheesecake does sound yummy, April! :O) I usually make a triple chocolate or chocolate turtle cheesecake...but not sure if I will or not. I've been baking so much lately, that I'm getting "sweeted" out! LOL In fact, I made a pumpkin pie earlier, and I've got a cherry cobbler in the oven right now! Which I do plan to eat, because I had a heck of a time not eating the filling when I was making it! LOL
    Gonna get me a spoon & some vanilla ice cream & dig in! Yummy!

Remy~ What a neat idea for a contest!
    I'll take a wild guess & say Long John Silvercolor>. That's one of my favorites. (and I wish mine had survived!) :O)

Take care, everyone!
    Melissa

• veeja11
    15 years ago

Remy I guess double delight. April was the pic what you saw while smoking turkey ? guess I'll bake mine!!!Hope all the pain goes away for those in our group feeling it. prayers are with you. thankyou april for taking on the christmas swap, one of my personal favorites. I wish the best to our people who are leaving. and my love goes out to my bloomin friends. big hugs carol

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

Remy~ I'll guess Betty Prior.

Carol~nope I didn't see that after smoking turkey. That vision came after I ate the side dish of mushrooms! LOL!!

Bunny ~send me a slice of pumpkin pie!! I'm the only one who eats it.Not worth making a whole one for just me.

For all those that are leaving you'll be sorely missed. Big hugs to my Big Sis Annie,without you taking me on in the newbie swap last year I wouldn't have been a part of this great group! Thanks!

Later....April

P.S. Will post the Dec swap tonight or tomorrow.

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Checking in for the contest and taking a break from coupon clipping and organizing. I had a month of Sunday papers to go through.
    No one is correct yet. April and Melissa good guesses. Carol, not so good, lol. Double Delight is not on my list. You need to pick from the rose list on my member page.
    It is too early for hints, so I'll let everyone keep guessing for awhile : )

Melissa,
    I wish I had known! I rooted more this year, and I got some good roots on LJS. Please remind me next year when I root roses at the end of June. You know what I figured out, once they all take(I put like 4 or 5 cuttings in a gallon pot,) I need to separate them out into individual pots. Seems the first one or two to root in the pot grow more roots quickly and the other ones don't making only scrawny roots, but once alone, they will flourish.
    Your husband's turkey sounds like it would taste better than any turkey I've had.

April,
    I have made pumpkin pie this year from scratch too using an heirloom cheese pumpkin/squash. You would of loved it. I don't really bake much though until Christmas. Then I make pistachio cake w/caramel icing, pizzelles(I make them like grandma did with real anise liqueur. Maybe that is why she was so happy, lol,) almond joy cookies(my own easy creation), and whatever takes my fancy.
    Remy

• dieg01991
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I needs Theresa's address. Theresa if you see this, could you email it to me?

Mary Ellen, I will send you my address right now. Remy, my address hasn't changed. :-) I think you might be getting me and April mixed up?

I can't wait for Thanksgiving!! I love all the deserts the most! I have to be good though, we're going to Cancun in January. I don't want to be a beached whale!! ;-)

Amy

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Can I come to your house for Christmas, Remy?? The pizzelles sound yummy...and much like my grandma's rum cake! LOL Never seen a woman so happy about baking as when grandma makes her rum cake! (and somehow, she goes through 3 bottles of rum for ONE cake...hmmmmm....)

Okay, one more guess, and then I'm letting the other gals shoot for it: Belle De Crecycolor>. Another of my favorites! And this one DID survive! :O)

Melissa

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Margaret-Yes the Holidays will be the hardest right now. Thanksgiving and Christmas is all about family and one missing is so very sad.

Melissa-That is the best sounding way to cook a turkey that I have seen. I will try it come Thanksgiving. I really like meats to have a sweet taste to them so I know I will like it.

Remy-I do the same thing. I buy Sunday Papers for my Mom and myself every Sunday just for those coupons. Our grocery stores Ingles and Bi-Lo doubles them and you can save lots of money on your groceries.
    I will guess the first Rose planted was Hawkeye Belle.

Shirley

• mellen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

April, Great pic of the dog and cat. I can almost imagine what that cat could possibly be thinking with the way it's looking at the dog.

Melissa, your hubby's turkey sounds mouth-watering. When is your due date again?

Amy, thanks for your address. I didn't keep it the last time that I used it.

Remy, you have Hawkeye Belle? I saw that rose at some gardens by the state university in Ames this fall. It is gorgeous!!! My dad liked it, too. I am planning on giving him a gift cert. for a couple of roses this Christmas. I got my gardening thumb from him.

We are going to my parent's place for Thanksgiving this year. My sister and my nephew from Texas will be there. She made a pumpkin pie a couple of weeks ago when I was visiting for overnight. It was deLISH!!! I am ready for another one.

Remy, I will guess The Fairy rose.

Nice to see so many of you here.
    Mary Ellen

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

Coupon clipper here too! We have Ingles & Kroger that double them.Save more money if you don't take DH along.The man will come out with POUNDS of cheese!!

Remy~I'll guess Bow Bells this time around.

Dec swap is up!

later....April

• mellen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Amy, I just sent you Theresa's address.
    Mary Ellen

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Mellen~ I'm due on Nov. 28th. We thought it was closer to Christmas, originally. And since I nearly always carry late, it probably won't happen until the first week or 2 of December. Although....any prayers anyone wants to say for the baby coming a bit earlier than that would be welcome! :O)
    I feel like I'm about to pop a seam!!

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Remy, I will guess 'Leontine Gervais.'
    (We have a Gervais Street in Columbia, so maybe that will bring me luck!)
    As for Thanksgiving plans, other than eating a yummy dinner with my husband, all I will be doing is pet sitting. This whole month is a busy pet sitting month. I think with the weather being nice and the gas prices down, everyone has decided to travel. (Yes, that has been my "job" for over four years now since I retired.)
    Have a good day!
    Jeanne

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Goodmorning All,
    Checking in for the contest!

Amy,
    Lol, I'm thinking of the other Amy. She hasn't been around as much since moving to her new home.

Melissa,
    Great rose, but no it came later.

Shirley,
    Great rose, but again, no it came later.

Mellen,
    Hawkeye Belle is gorgeous. It is one of Dr. Buck's most well known roses. I love it, always in bloom, no disease. I got my veggie green thumb from my dad. My mother loved flowers, roses most of all.
    The Fairy is the first rose I mail ordered and it was from Jung's, but no not one of the first roses.

April,
    Great guess, I drove down to Eden and bought that rose from a nursery called Dream's End owned by a nice old couple, but no, it was not one of the first.
    I got to go check the Dec. Swap thread. You got that going early! Good idea though since everyone will be busy.

Melissa,
    My grandma made a lot of rum balls too. She was a very happy woman, lol.
    These next few weeks have to seem like they will take forever! I'm just hoping you have another wonderful healthy girl : )
    Did I ever tell you about my girlfriend with the broken arms? A friend was getting married and having a baby shower. It was beautiful day and a bunch of us girlfriends were milling around outside. A big truck comes pulling up, a girlfriend and her husband. The husband gets out the present and hands it to one of the girls. He opens the other door and there is our friend sitting there 8 months pregnant with her arms in casts. She explains she broke them trying to stop herself when she fell on a sidewalk! She is saying she's sorry, but she's not going in, she just can't do it, and can we please just take the gift in for her. We are all standing there sort of shocked, and her husband closes the door ,get in the truck, and pulls away. We then all look at each other and start busting out laughing. We were laughing so hard we were almost crying. I know that's horrible, but we couldn't help it, lol.

Here's my first rose hint-
    Neither of them have a photo on my page.
    Remy

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Jeanne,
    You posted while I was writing. I'm sorry but Gervais brought you no luck. Though it sound like the lower gas prices have, more money for you! A new place just opened up near my house next to the thruway ramp, Camp Bow Wow. Goofy name, but I guess it is a franchise.
    REmy

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Remy~ Oh! that poor girl!! LOL I can understand why ya'll laughed, though...That IS funny, and I bet she can laugh about it now. I know I'm chuckling, and I can totally sympathize with her. Over the last few weeks, I've fallen flat on my face 3 times. Each time, my husband just says..."Well, there's a reason your momma didn't call ya Grace!" LOL I'm thinking...gee, the fact that I've got 20 extra lbs all up front has NOTHING to do with my grace-less-ness! :O)

One more guess for the contest: Betty Prior.color> Betty is my mom's name....not that THAT will bring me any luck. She's HORRIBLE with roses!! :O)

Have a great Wednesday, everyone! (which I thought was Thursday....DARN!....)

Melissa

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

How about Just Joey? I have no special reason for chosing that name... maybe that is a luckier way to pick!
    Jeanne

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

Remy~ my next guess will be "Blue Girl"

Bunny~ you might want to pick again...Betty Prior brought me NO luck when I guessed it! LOL!!!

later...April

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Hmmm....Me thinks that's why it sounded familiar! LOL!

How 'bout.....Aunt Honeycolor>?
    Has anyone guessed THAT one yet?? :O)

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    15 years ago

Wow, I have missed alot being gone a few days.

Darn, I don't have Aprils's address. How can I not? But I don't.

Can someone please send it to me??????????

Theresa

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    Taking a break from Gardening. Lol, I subconsciously gave gardening a capital letter. Anyway, drumroll please... we have our first winner....April! Yea : )

I bought body bag roses for real cheap thinking what a bargain, but the others died. I later realized some of them had mosaic, and they really weren't suited to a northern area. Amazingly, Blue Girl has held on all these years. I'm betting around 1994. I sometimes threaten her with the shovel, but then she'll go and make some gorgeous blooms and I don't have the heart to kill her then.
    So we are still looking for winner number 2!

Melissa,
    Lol, nice hubby : ) Uh, I see April pointed out you can't win on names already guessed, lol.

Hi Theresa,
    Hope you've been well : )
    Remy

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Congratulations, April! :O)

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

WOO! HOO !!!Thanks for the subscription Remy!!!

Why did everyone quit guessing? There is still another up one for grabs? Or did I read it wrong?
    Later...April

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

With the first rose being "blue" I will guess the second one is "violet" so I am guessing:
    Reine des Viollettes
    Maybe... maybe...

Jeanne

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    15 years ago

Has Dame de Coeur been guessed? Great contest, Remy. Thanks for the well wishes. I've been out with anxiety attacks and depression. Feeling a bit better now though :)

Theresa

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Theresa-So sorry to hear about your anxiety attacks and depression. When my children left home I got depressed so bad it was awful. It was really hard for me. That is actually when I took up gardening. I tell them now see what you caused. I think they call it empty nest syndrome. Please come often to the forum and we will cheer you up. If I lived close I would visit with you and we could go shopping and do all kind of fun things, keep your mind off that depressed state. Big hugs coming your way.!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations April....YEAH

Melissa-I just prayed a prayer that little bundle of joy would come a bit earlier than expected. Here's hoping

Remy-I will guess Cinderella

Shirley

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    I'm back home from the last Rock Garden Society meeting of the year. Everyone brought desserts. I didn't realize this, but thank goodness I was in a hurry after gardening and didn't eat dinner. We had show and tell so I brought a cut pop bottle for winter sowing to tell about how easy it is to start seeds. I actually had people come over to check out the bottle after the meeting was over. So pretty cool, I think some people will try it.

Jeanne,
    Excellent guess, but no.

Theresa,
    No, my Dame was a cutting from two years ago and is still small. I sure hope it gets going next year. It is weird how some roses just sit there for a couple years. It definitely is not an indicator of later performance. Prairie Harvest is good example of that. It sat there for like 3 years and now it is a beautiful robust shrub that is actually still blooming right now.
    I'm sorry you weren't feeling well, but I'm glad you are doing better. As Shirley said gardening is good therapy. I'm sure you already know that though : )

Shirley,
    I would of never guessed you started gardening late. You are a great learner! You're a bad guesser though, lol. It isn't Cinderella. I do believe that is the first mini I ever mail ordered, but that doesn't count.
    Have a good night everyone,
    Remy

• Debra Andruska
    15 years ago

Thank you so much Everyone for all your kind words, Prayers & cards! My Mom's wake was Monday, Funeral Tuesday. My Parent's anniversary was November 10th (Monday). My Mom joked in the hospital that she should of postponed her surgery a week due to her anniversary being so close. She laughed and said "what if my Dad wants her to join him" she then looked at me a little serious. I swear she was psychic! My Sister and I were talking at Mom's house about her memorial luncheon and debating if we should have open bar. As soon as I mentioned if we would have enough money to cover the liquor expenses, a glass shattered! We then immediately decided to go with open bar, who cares about the expense! ;)

Remy,
    I can't thank you enough for all your kind words, support at this difficult time! Plus the BEAUTIFUL basket of plants! Your kindness & generosity will never be forgotten! Thank you so much!

Giant Hugs,
    Deb

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Remy~ How about....Ipsilantecolor>?

Shirley~ Thanks for the prayers! :O) My mom's b-day is the 20th, so maybe...... LOL

Mellen~ I will be sending my card out tomorrow. I've run out of stamps mailing out all these bills.... YUCK! :O)

Have a great Thursday, everyone!
    Melissa

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    Long day at work! I expected to see more guesses.

Deb,
    I'm happy to see you post, and you're welcome : )
    I'm glad to see you went with the open bar. I would of too!

Melissa,
    No, sorry wrong again.

Here's a clue for everyone:
    Jeanne was getting hot.

Ok, got to go check my email,
    Remy

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

I will try Peaches 'n Cream this time. Peach is one of my favorite colors and a great crop here in SC.
    Jeanne

• brittneysgran
    15 years ago

Remy-I am a lousy guesser. LOL Let's see I will guess
    Marchessa Boccella

Shirley

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Shirley~ Don't feel bad, I'm a lousy guesser, too! :O)

Remy~ One last time, although...I think maybe Shirley got it this time. :O)
    I'll say....DarlowÂs Enigmacolor>. Because this is one enigma I can't figure out!! :O)
    And if someone has already guessed that....Well...I'll blame it on the heartburn I have and say it's affecting my brain cells as well....LOL

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    15 years ago

Hmmm....Is it Hansa?

(a last ditch effort) :)

• lunamoon
    15 years ago

Ok, I'll take a guess.... Belle Isis?

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Wonder if anyone has gotten it yet, or if Remy just like to leave us hanging...LOL
    Luna~ Belle Isis is a pretty rose...and ya know...it makes me think of a midwife friend of mine named Isis. Cutest & sweetest little thing, too. And I mean LITTLE. The teeny gal does well to weigh 100lbs...sopping wet...wearing wool from head to toe.
    Kinda makes me jealous....! :O)

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    "Wonder if anyone has gotten it yet, or if Remy just like to leave us hanging...LOL" LOL, no, Melissa : ) I was at work honest.
    Well, it was fun stumping everyone while it lasted, but we have a winner!!! A big drum roll for our winner......Theresa!

Glitter Graphics - GlitterLive.com

I bought a few J&P box roses and the only survivor is Hansa, and what a survivor it is! It is at the back corner of my veggie garden. This is a great spot for it since it needs hardly any care, and the scent while I'm out there working! I wish the following pic came with smell. It just fills the whole area with a wonderful clove rose scent.

Jeanne,
    You said since the first one is blue, maybe the second is violet. Hansa is that bright violet red. But I see where my clue might of been misleading, sorry.

Shirley,
    Yes sorry you are a lousy guesser, lol.

Jenell,
    Glad you stopped in for a guess : )

Melissa,
    I can see why she would remind you of the rose, because it is a cute sweet little thing.
    Talk to you all later,
    Remy

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    15 years ago

OMG! I won? Well, I guessed Hansa because it is close in color to Reine des Violettes and becuase it is such a hardy rose (or so I've heard) - didn't do much for me down here but yours is stunning as are all your roses Remy. You do have the touch! One of these days when I'm retired, I want to take a LONG road trip and visit all the gardens of my GW friends and yours will be on my list :)

Theresa

• mellen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Can someone PLEASE tell me how to get the pic that we use to start our thread?
    Thanks,
    Mary Ellen

• veeja11
    15 years ago

My computer died and I lost everything, so can't help you Miss Mellen my new e-mail is veeja@bmi.net Margaret please send me your addy I lost all my addresses. Remy I thought everyone started with double delight, sorry. could everyone e-mail me their thoughts on relaxing the joining rules. we could use more newbies. hope everyone overdoses on turkey. bunny are you bursting ? hugs carol

• dirt_under_my_nails
    15 years ago

Congrats Theresa!!!!

Mary Ellen~ Sent you an e-mail,but not sure it went through.Hopefully if you click the link below,the graphic will pop up. Then just copy & paste it where you want.My fingers are crossed!

later...April

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mellen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good morning! April, I love to see you dance with the elves! Great site! Also, thanks for the pic info. I will be starting a new thread shortly.

Ladies, Please start posting on the new "Update" thread.
    Thanks,
    Mary Ellen