Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

NEW: November Seeds & Stitches

sandlapper_rose
13 years ago

I will be hostess for the November swap and am looking forward to it. My thought was to do something different this one time, so you will be matched with one person and will be asked to make a pincushion for him or her. There are lots of patterns online and in quilting books and magazines so I don't think you will have a problem finding a pattern. For example, I just did a search using "free pincushion patterns" and the first one that popped up has instructions for over 60 different pincushions.

http://tipnut.com/22-free-pincushion-patterns/

Some are very simple to make. For example, see the square pincushion tutorial. You can complete one like that in no time! A rotary cutter will be even faster than the method they show for cutting, but this type of pincushion works no matter what -- even if you don't have a sewing machine! I'll bet some of the pincushions in there are made using hot glue. Any type of pincushion you want to make is fine.

I am also asking that you enclose a Thanksgiving card. Thanksgiving seems to get lost these days in all the Christmas rush. The Christmas rush begins even before Halloween now! It can be a very simple card and handmade is fine - or bought if you prefer. The idea is just to give some recognition to Thanksgiving as the special time that it is. We as gardeners have to be thankful for something about our garden this year - whether it brought something to eat, pretty flowers, or just a small harvest of seeds. Mine didn't bring a lot with all the heat and drought that we had, but it did produce some things.

So, sign up here by November 2nd and I should be able to post the list of who you send to on November 3rd. Please mail out by November 12th to allow time for delivery by Thanksgiving.

No seeds are required this time.

I am placing myself first on the list!

Jeanne

Comments (122)

• chrizty
    13 years ago

I like the chicken!! looks like it was hard to do?
    I got mine mailed out today, I forgot the post was closed yesterday.
    got a book of stamps too. have yens seen the new forever stamps? there so pretty. they got pinecones on them!
    gonna go out n plant some daffs now. its nice outside ;) wont be long till its all coverd in snow.

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

I agree the new pinecone stamps are really pretty. Enjoy planting your daffs Christy. Think I am fixing to go collect some seeds off of a pink grass that is growing in edge of my flowerbed. Then after that off to work on mom's quilt.

Best to you and have a great day! :-),
    Sandra

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Glad you like the chicken, Sandra. It basically starts out as two log cabin blocks and then you sew it in sort of a strange way to get the bottom created with the little tail feathers. When you sew the two blocks together, you insert the beak and comb so those come to the right side once you turn it. Anyway, it went together pretty well considering I had not made one for a long time. I'm glad you like it. My hand stitching stinks, so luckily that part doesn't show. LOL As for what I used for stuffing, I had an older shirt that I had never worn that had those shoulder pads on the inside of the fabric. I hate those things, so I cut them off the shirt, cut them into stips so they would be small enough to stuff through the opening and then I added rice because it needed a little weight at the bottom. The shoulder pads seemed to be made out of something like a dense foam rubber. Seemed to work well anyway. Wonder if I have any more of those shoulder pads hanging around? LOL
    I love that people are posting pictures. This is so much fun! We definitely need to do it again.
    Jeanne

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

I love the gold flecking in the fabric of the chicken pincushion. :-) I have never made a log cabin block, but seeing this chicken, makes me want to learn how. It is just too cool. What type of material is the yellow (beak) and the red (comb on top of the chicken's head)made of? I am just fascinated by this chicken. :-) I will treasure it. Thank you bunches!! :-)

Best to you and many thanks,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone! I received my pincushion from Carolyn today, and it is simply beautiful! After an 11-hour day of delivering the mail pretty much all I wanted to do is come home, eat dinner, and go to bed to recuperate. But, when I got home, there were 2 packages waiting for me, one from Carolyn containing a gorgeous-looking sunflower of a pincushion and a great Thanksgiving card! Give me a couple of seconds and I'll take a picture of the pincushion...
    Okay, I think I've got it now. Here it is...

Carolyn, I love it! Thank You Very Much!!!
    -Dan

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, Dan. I don't envy you that 11 hour day, but you sure came home to some special treats. We gotta love our GardenWeb friends! That sunflower is beautiful.
    Jeanne

• amybeth82
    13 years ago

Christy, I finally got your package mailed out today. I love seeing the photos, these are some great pincushions!

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Dan the sunflower pincushion is just gorgeous! People in this swap are making some really beautiful and unique pincushions! Hope everyone continues to post more pics as they receive their pincushions. :-)

Is cold and rainy here today, but we so need the rain and what I am calling cold is only in the 60's today so not so bad. And last night I found out my small child has figured out how to monkey his way up to reach the top shelf in his closet. Luckily all he got into were collectible cars his grandma got him years ago. So had to explain to him the difference between a collectible and a toy and how one is meant for a shelf and just to look at. Just when I thought I had 1 shelf he could not reach. Luckily he has not snooped and found Christmas presents ... yet LOL. Oh my, every year is a new challenge, and he is only in lower elementary school - what next?

Best to you,
    Sandra

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

when the time comes I do hope that Paula can post a picture of mine for me. I do not post pictures. Also that Cindy will post her pin cushion so others can see it.

ALL THE PICTURES THAT HAVE BEEN POSTED ARE VERY NICE.

YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT EVENING.
    gmom

• chrizty
    13 years ago

Thats beauitful! Carylon you did a great job!
    well Sandra be lucky he aint found girls yet! LOL yep its somthing new each year.

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

Paula has emailed me and said her pin cushion was received!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Updating things a bit. If I missed anything, please correct me.

sandlapper_rose sent to quiltingfox RECEIVED
    gmom2_6boys sends to quiltpartner
    lindaruzicka sent to paulah-gardener - RECEIVED
    smcapri sends to micyrey
    dan_the_mailman sends to sandlapper_rose
    amybeth82 sent to chritzy - MAILED
    micyrey sent to wynative - RECEIVED
    Debbya sends to smcapri
    quiltpartner sends to amybeth82
    paulah-gardener sends to gmom2_6boys - MAILED
    chritzy sends to csackett - MAILED
    quiltingfox sent to lindaruzicka - RECEIVED
    wynative sends to Debbya
    csackett sent to dan_the_mailman RECEIVED

Have a good week, everyone.
    Jeanne

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Jeanne, I just finished sewing and packaging up your pincushion, and then I realized I'd forgotten to include the card. I want to mail out your package tomorrow, so I'll be sending your card separately. You get a twofer!!!

-Dan

• chrizty
    13 years ago

I got a package from Amy!!!! WOW its soooooo cute!! i love it!! thank you Amy!!
    Amys pincushion is a mushroom house. she got the idea cause i have a fairie garden! thats so sweet! the card is so pretty too with a pumpkin b ribon! Amy did you make it?
    ill have to get battiers for my cam to post a pic :)

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Jeanne, the dc# for your box is 0310 0480 0001 5590 2170.

muhahahahahaaaaa!!!

• amybeth82
    13 years ago

Christy -- I'm so you liked it!! And it even arrived sooner than I thought it would. I did make the card. I was really going to sew a pincushion, but when I read the words "fairy garden", I got this image in my head, and I knew I could knit it.. anyway, I couldn't resist taking a silly picture before I sent it off to you:

• chrizty
    13 years ago

yep thats it!!! looks awesome outside!!
    I love it Amy!!! great idea!
    heres a clickable pic with the card. i love how you made the pumpkin on the card you really did a great job!

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

The mushroom pincushion is really cute. Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• Debra Andruska
    13 years ago

Very creative pincushions so far! My one year old laptop crashed- so I'm checking my email and online with my iPhone. My computers being fixed so hopefully receive it back with in a day or so.. I tried contacting my swap pal for her address- twice. Both times through garden web.. I have my box totally ready to go and will mail it by priority. Will post a dc# when the package goes out. This was so much fun! Hugs, deb

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know we are not completely finished with this swap, but I just want to say how PROUD I am of all the effort each person has put into making these pincushions. They are incredible! That little mushroom is adorable - just like the other pincushions people have made. You have exceeded any expectations I would have had by a whole bunch - and they were set pretty high to begin with because I know so many of you in the group and how conscientious you are!

We are past Nov. 12th - the mail out deadline so I would like to suggest that if you have not been able to make contact with the person who sends to you or you receive from, I make a slight revision to the list. Does that sounds fair?

It seems everyone has sent an e-mail or posted here to the forum after partners were assigned other than smcapri. My suggestions is that if smcapri has not been in touch with Michelle or Deb that Deb send her pincushion to Michelle? Does that sound fair to everyone? (Smcapri, I know something may have come up that prevented you from following up on this, but if so - maybe you can just join in another time.)

Michelle and Deb, let me know if this suits both of you. I am assuming neither of you have heard from smcapri, but that might not be the case. If she has been in touch, we will leave everything as it stands. Okay?

Jeanne

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    smcapri has not contacted me, I did send her my address, but have not heard that she has sent. I would be happy to get a pincushion from deb if she has made it. if she has not made one yet than she dose not have to send one.
    Deb if you are going to send just give me an email and I'll send my new address
    thanks
    michelle

• csackett
    13 years ago

Hi Chrizty,
    What date did you mail my pincushion? I haven't received anything yet. After seeing all the wonderful pincushions, I'm anxious.
    Thanks,
    Carolyn

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

Paula,

I got my pincushion 2 days ago. I love it!!! THANK YOU!! I don't do pictures, so if you do, you could a picture.

Is any one up for December?

Gmom

• csackett
    13 years ago

Thank you Christy!! It's beautiful and such a nice card.
    This was lots of fun. It's neat getting things from GardenWeb friends.
    THANKS A BUNCH!!
    Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Pincushion from Swap

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh my, Dan's pincushion arrived today. When I came home from having some medical tests run, I looked on the front porch and there it was! It is so unusual and creative that I am not going to try to describe it and take away from the surprise. I will get my camera out later and take a picture and post it tomorrow. You will be so surprised!
    Thanks a bunch, Dan. This was truly special!
    Jeanne

P.S. How many people have not received yet? I haven't seen Cindy (quiltpartner) post and that is unusual. Have you heard from her? How about smcapri? I am thinking no one has heard from her. Anyone else I need to check on? Please let me know and I will try to e-mail them and if no answer, we may need to make a few adjustments so those who sent get one in return. Just keep me in the loop. Okay? I don't usually hostess here with this group so if anyone has a suggestion about what to do for those who haven't received, please let me know.

• Debra Andruska
    13 years ago

I haven't heard anything from smcapri. I wanted to give her a little
    more time- but do realize we need to wrap up our swap. My box is ready to go so I'm willing to switch swap pals. I don't have michelle's new address- So should I send my box to michelle? Please let me know.. Deb

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

Deb
    I will leave it up to you if you want to give your partner some more time.
    if you decied to send to me just shoot me an email and I'll give you my address
    michelle

• amybeth82
    13 years ago

I haven't heard from quiltpartner/Cindy since we were assigned partners.. she was so prompt and enthusiastic in contacting me then, I do wonder if everything is ok with her now.. I'm new here so I don't know how often she usually posts. I don't want to bug anyone about a pincushion, if something is wrong with her I'm not worried about receiving anything. I had so much fun making Christy's pincushion, I would definitely do this again. :)

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Jeanne, I see that your box was delivered today...hehehe. The big one is for you to use as either a pillow, seat cuchion, or pin cushion, whichever you choose! And of course, the cube is a pin cushion. I had a lot of fun doing this!
    -Dan

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought for sure I had posted a message here earlier, but I don't see it. I heard from Cindy (quiltpartner) so hopefully her two partners will be hearing from her soon. She is fine - just busy.
    There is no direct link to e-mail for smcapri, but I have tried to e-mail her through GardenWeb. That is probably what her partners tried to do as well. If I do not hear back from her by Sunday, I recommend Deb send the pincushion she made to Michelle. (Maybe you have already done that,Deb; and if so, that is fine.)
    Next time I host here I think I will make sure everyone sends me a full mailing address and their direct e-mail before I match partners. I hate to see anyone send and not receive. Trying to do the best I can to make sure all senders receive so bear with me. Most of the time everyone responds and trades addresses so well. Just my bad luck and people being so busy right before the holidays, I think!
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dan,
    Your card arrived today. Very cute and garden appropriate.
    I am sorry not to have posted a picture of the pincushion yet. It is not for lack of excitement over it! I have had a very busy day and had a meeting to go to last evening, company arriving later today, had to grocery shop - well, you know how those times go! Anyway, it will be posted soon so eveyone can enjoy the reaction I had when I opened the box.
    Jeanne

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Lol! Jeanne, I'm glad you enjoyed opening up your box! If you'd paired me up with one of the "newbies" I probably wouldn't have sent the larger cushion, but you've learned by now that I love surprises, and sometimes like to go a bit overboard and change the rules, so when you posted that I was going to be sending a package to you, well, I just had to do what I did! I can't even blame it on Bump or Stella this time, though Stella did "administrate" the packing of the box! (I believe Bump was sleeping in "his" patch of sunshine at the time.)
    Post the pics when you can, silly me forgot to take pictures!

Later!
    -Dan

• cindykg23
    13 years ago

My DGS just found a pleasant surprise - for ME! - on the front porch! (Our mail is delivered thro a slot in the garage door - parcels end up on the porch, & they usually ring the bell. She may have today, but it must have been during one of my 3 different school pickups :( 'cause I missed it:(
    So THANK YOU!! gmom2_6boys! Wonderful pin cushion! And it's heavy! When I picked up the box I didn't even think of pin cushion - but what a pleasant surprise! I honestly can't remember how to post a pic; hopefully I can research it tomorrow & get one posted. You have to see this, it's just SO pretty! (And the sage is heavenly:):)

Thanks again, Sharon - nice job!

~Cindy

• wynative
    13 years ago

OH MY! Everyones new pincushions sound wonderful but I do LOVE that little mushroom! How CUTE!!!

Debya,

I sent your package out on Monday - have you recieved it yet? I know your having 'puter' problems but I hope it arrived :)

Marie

• Debra Andruska
    13 years ago

Marie,
    no package yet... I'll post when your package arrives.
    Also-smcapri contacted me by email with her address.
    I'm assuming she also contacted Michelle?
    I'll check in tomorrow to see if michelle has been in touch
    with Stephanie.
    My computers back/fixed... I had 27 viruses on my one
    year old laptop! I also had two very well known virus protection scans
    on the computer! I had automatic updates daily and did atleast 3 virus automatic scans per week going. The viruses totally made the laptop crash- and the hard drive fail. I ended up needing a new hard drive.

Deb

• amybeth82
    13 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks for all the mushroom comments.. It was really so easy and fun! In case anyone else knits, the pattern is free online, you can even mix and match different caps and stems. Very cute. (Link below.) The details I added are just more yarn, added with a felting needle (careful though, I drew some blood, lol).

I can't wait to see a picture of the cushions Dan sent you, Jeanne.. as well as all the others! This is so fun.

Also, I have heard from Cindy/quiltpartner and everything is fine, just a mix up and a really crazy week at her house. Send her peaceful thoughts. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Myriads of Mushrooms (free knitting pattern)

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    I have not heared from her but I already sent my address so she may not need to email me again
    michelle

• Debra Andruska
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I'm posting from my computer- not my Iphone, finally! No package came today, but hopefully Monday. ;)
    I'm excited about Marie's package!

My package will go out for Stephanie on Monday. I'll post a DC then when it goes out- I'll send it by priority so Stephanie recieves it in two days. I had the box ready to go- but wanted to make sure I was still sending it to Stephanie.

I'll post again on Monday- to wrap up my end of the swap.

Hugs,
    Deb

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Finally here I am posting a picture of the pin cuchion that Dan sent to me. Can you believe it? What a surprise!

The egg shaped pilgrims are from a swap several years ago and are the size of a real egg so I just placed them there so you could judge the size of Dan's pincushion. Dan, it was a wonderful surpise and thanks again so much!

It sounds like the remaining swappers have made contact and everyone will be sending and receiving as we originally planned. Please, if any problems, let me know. If someone sends and doesn't receive something back, I will be happy to make a pincushion for you so you don't get left out.

It's such fun to have our GardenWeb friends to share our holidays with. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Have a great week!
    Jeanne

• chrizty
    13 years ago

WOW that a big pincushion! greate job Dan!!

yea the mushroom is awesome, n its mine all mine LOL.

Carolyn glad ya got it n liked it :)

• Debra Andruska
    13 years ago

Marie's package arrived! Marie created a beautiful cross stitch/bird pincushion! The pin cushion's attached to a wooden frame (nestled in the frame!) I love it! I'll try to post pics tomorrow.. Marie does GORGEOUS work! I also recieved the cutest "Mary Engelbriet" type of candle- it smells yummy! Thanks so much Marie for such a nice package! I always look so forward to your boxes!

My package for Stephanie went out today as promised, USPS tracking #0310 2010 0000 8396 2405.

Thanks Jeanne for coordinating this swap- you did a fantastic job Hostessing!

Deb

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    I still have not heared from my partner, if she sends I will post it.
    I had a great time making my pincushion, I'm not worried if I dont get one.
    michelle

• Debra Andruska
    13 years ago

Just checked the DC#, Stephanie's package arrived! Wow, that was quick! Hopefully, Stephanie likes the pincushion I made. :)

Delivered, November 23, 2010, 1:19 pm-

Deb

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I now have an e-mail address for Stephanie and will try to contact her directly. Sometimes mail being sent through GardenWeb does not go through for some reason. Luckily Deb had a delivery confirmation so we know Stephanie received her package, but I am concerned we have not heard from her and her partner has not received.
    Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!
    Jeanne

• amybeth82
    13 years ago

I don't have time tonight to post a picture, but I received a really cute pincushion from Cindy/quiltpartner today! It's a pincushion in a teacup, and it matches my craft room perfectly! It's so so cute. She also sent some quilt patterns to get me started and a nice card. Will post picture later, or feel free to if you have on Cindy. Thanks so much!

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Love everyone's pincushions! :-) Are we having a December swap?

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

just wanted to let everyone know, for December we've established a conversation and picture sharing thread, and won't be having an actual swap until January. I'm looking for ideas for upcoming swaps, so think about what you've liked so far and what you'd like to see in the future. then post your thoughts on the december thread.
    in the meantime, everyone have yourself a Happy Holiday!
    -Dan

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Unfortunately we are still not wrapped up with this one. Here's the status. If I missed anything, please correct me.

I feel bad that neither Michelle nor Deb has heard from smcapri. At least Deb had delivery confirmation so she can tell that the pincushion she sent was received. If we do not hear from smcapri within a few days, I will make a pincushion for Michelle. When I am hostess, I do all that I can to make it fair so everyone receives. I did post on the Rate & Review section. To my way of thinking, that is why it is there.
    Thanks to all who did their part and I certainly will join more swaps here. It is unfortunately when something falls though, but I guess out of all the good swaps we have, this will happen now and then. If you haven't joined Seeds & Stitches before, don't think badly of the group. We will look out after you if something like this comes up.

Status Report:
    sandlapper_rose sent to quiltingfox - RECEIVED
    gmom2_6boys sent to quiltpartner - RECEIVED
    lindaruzicka sent to paulah-gardener - RECEIVED
    smcapri sends to micyrey - NO WORD - CONCERNED ABOUT THIS!!
    dan_the_mailman sent to sandlapper_rose - RECEIVED
    amybeth82 sent to chritzy - RECEIVED
    micyrey sent to wynative - RECEIVED
    Debbya sends to smcapri - RECEIVED (DELIVERY CONFIRMATION)
    quiltpartner sent to amybeth82 - RECEIVED
    paulah-gardener sent to gmom2_6boys - RECEIVED
    chritzy sent to csackett - RECEIVED
    quiltingfox sent to lindaruzicka - RECEIVED
    wynative sent to Debbya - RECEIVED
    csackett sent to dan_the_mailman RECEIVED

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    thanks jeanne but it is not fair for you to do 2, I had fun figuring out how to make a pincushion and I just concider it a gift. it is a chance we all accept when we sign up for swaps.
    michelle

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    Jeanne I got your pincushion today, thanks I will put it to use very soon.
    thanks bunches
    michelle