Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

new: nov. fotess swap: corny cards

sandlapper_rose
9 years ago

First of all, you must be a member of FOTESS (Friends of the Earth Simple Swaps) in order to sign up for this swap. If you want more information please contact me or Shirley.

I said this month would be simple and it really is. You will send your swap partner a card that has corn as part of the design. It can be a bought card or a handmade card. You can even cut out a picture of some corn and add it to a card design. As for the picture of corn, it can be cooked and ready to serve, on the cob, or growing in the field. The second part to this is to include a recipe using corn to send along with the card. It would be great if it's one that your family enjoys for Thanksgiving or some other holiday, but if you don't have one like that (or a corn recipe of any kind), don't let that stop you from signing up. Find one that sounds good on the internet and use it.

When you receive your card and recipe, you will post that you received it and type in the recipe so we can all enjoy them.

That's it!
Mail out by Nov. 14.

I'll be posting some type of game this month and I also also invite you to join me in posting some corny jokes here on the thread (just keep them clean, of course.)

I hope everyone had a great Halloween!
Jeanne

Comments (150)

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Jeanne, I am sending my corn words to you through regular email. I don't always get things to go through GW. If you don't get them please let me know! Thanks, Melinda

• kchd
    9 years ago

You didn't misunderstand, Ruth. You are doing just what you are supposed to do! I argued that coneflower seeds look like corn kernels to me.

I got my corny prize from Annie yesterday evening! It is a green, frosted glass Xmas ornament of the Statue of Liberty. She is very bling-bling, too with whisps of silver glitter. I will take a photo of her when she hangs on the tree. For now, she is guarding the items on the lazy susan.

Ruth, you and me both re: the cold temps. Down to 18 F last night, in mid-November. This is Mississippi!?!?!

Katie

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    9 years ago

Sent your card out today Heidi. Sorry so late, been really busy. Wanted to get some work done outside but winter snow and cold came early this year. High of 17 today. Drats

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

A CORNY CARD arrived yesterday..........just opened it up!Sheri sent me a lovely THANKSGIVING card...And yes, there is corn on the outside of the card. Smart, Sheri cut corn cobs off of something? and added them to the card....nice touch! Included was a delicious recipe for Green Chili, Corn and Potato Soup. This is true comfort food to me. And inside I found a package of NUMEX HERITAGE 6-4 CHILE SEEDS. I have never heard of these....looking forward to growing them!

Sheri, thank you so much!

Happy Tuesday!

Annie

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

I don't blame you Erica for typing the shorter one. Years ago, I started seeing recipes I wanted to try. So cut them out of old magazines and paste them in a notebook! Then I scan them if want to send to someone else. I got that recipe out of BH&G I think in 2011 or2012 and have been making it ever since. I love it in the summer! I hope you do also!
    I am so going to be making so many of these recipes! They sound so good! Have a great day all! Melinda

• jas_il
    9 years ago

Ruth, did you receive the card? The tracking says it was delivered on Monday 2.57 pm.

Thanks
    Jasmine

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ruth, I'm confirming what the others said - a card and a recipe was all the swap called for - and it's what I did as well. No problem. I always tell people if you sent what was called for, do not feel bad. Some people just wanted to do something extra and it's not a bad reflection on the others.

I got my card and recipe from Beth today! She found a really nice Thanksgiving card that DOES have corn pictured. Here's the recipe:

Iowa Corn Casserole
    Make 4 -6 servings

1 can creamed corn
    1 c. fresh (soft) bread crumbs
    1 c. milk
    1 medium green pepper, chopped
    1/2 lb. cheddar, thin sliced
    4 strips bacon, cooked crisp & crumbled

Combine first 4 ingredients in bowl. Stir to mix. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour into a 1 quart greased casserole. Top with cheese and bacon. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees or until slightly brown. Serve hot.

This sounds great, Beth, and I think I will make it this week. All summer I try to avoid using the oven, but it will feel good right now. It's supposed to go down to 18 degrees tonight (breaking records just like our snowfall did.) I feel so bad for the horses. They have a barn, but still.... brrr!

I found the recipe for Popcorn Cake. My neighbor across the street made it for a birthday party years ago and I asked her for the recipe.

Popcorn Cake

8 cups freshly popped corn, unsalted
    3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup light corn syrup
    1/2 cup water
    1 teaspoon vinegar
    1/4 tsp. salt
    3/4 cup butter or margarine
    1 cup candy coated chocolate pieces (M&Ms)
    1 cup Spanish peanuts
    1 cup miniature marshmallows

Place popcorn in a large bowl, set aside. Combine next 6 ingredients in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until mixture reaches hard boil stage (260 degrees). Remove from heat, add butter, stirring until butter melts. Pour syrup in a thin stream over popcorn, stirring until popcorn is evenly coated. Stir in remaining ingredients, mixing well. Press mixture into a well-greased 6 cup ring mold. Cool. Unmold on a serving plate.

Melinda, I'll sign into my e-mail after I post this and check for your list of words. I'll update the list of who has sent and received tomorrow. I had a busy morning and just trying to stay wrapped in my afghan this evening... brrr ... it's cold even from inside the house.

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And congratulations to Melinda - you are a winner!!!

Here are the varieties of corn that were listed.

Northern Xtra Sweet
    On Deck
    Peaches & Cream
    Quickie
    Ruby Queen
    Silver Queen
    Tendertreat
    (No U!!)
    Vision
    White Mirai
    Xtra Tender
    Yukon Chief
    (No Z!!)

I'll get the prizes mailed out by Saturday.
    Has anyone been able to find both a variety that begins with U and one that begins with Z? If so, you can be a winner, too. I searched for quite awhile and never found them.

I hope everyone stays warm and safe.
    Jeanne

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Thanks Jeanne! Stay comfy and warm to all out there. It has been unseasonably cold here for us, for sure! Usually still between upper 50's to 70s. Lost a lot of seeds, they just didn't get developed and turned to mush! My flowers too!
    Melinda

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Jeanne-I found a new corn variety that they grow in the Philipines starting with the letter U=USMARC TX010.

http://www.seedquest.com/News/releases/2005/may/12168.htm

I received the cutest Thanksgiving card and two delicious recipes from Jeanne. She also included some stamps re-paying me for the calla seeds I sent her. You did not have to re-pay me Jeanne with the stamps. Smart idea to add the corn to the card.

Shirley

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Jasmine, yes the card was delivered yesterday.
    I had such a mess going yesterday with all my seeds that I didn't even notice the mail was brought in.
    I did open it this afternoon and it was such a sweet surprise.
    It was a very neat custom made card with an awesome grilled corn recipe and a beautiful bracelet.
    Feels like Christmas already.
    Thank you so much.

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

You're very welcome for the card, seeds and recipe, Annie! I'm glad you liked it.

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Wed, Nov 26, 14 at 15:47

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Just got some info on the Corn Variety starting with the letter Z = Zenith.
    http://www.seedquest.com/vegetables/from/HarrisMoran/corn/zenith.htm

Jeanne-mentioned in her card she had the two recipes all typed out she sent me and would be glad to post them so I would not have to type them out...thanks Jeanne.

Very cold here in the South down to 12 degrees this morning. A dear friend of mine in Naples Florida said I should be there enjoying the sunshine with her. Hopefully when I retire I will get to spend most of the Winter in sunny Florida.

I'm going to the grocery store today to buy some of these ingredients for these wonderful recipes. YUM

Shirley

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

You know...as the non-cooking member of this group...I wanted to report that I made the corn fritters last night and they were a hit with my chili! I made points! Thanks everyone!
    Heidi
    I also got a tooth pulled--the tooth wouldn't cooperate so I said, "take it"!

• jas_il
    9 years ago

Ruth, I am so glad that card made it safely and you liked it.

Jasmine

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are the recipes that I sent to Shirley in case someone wants to try them.

Bacon and Corn Chowder

1/4 lb. bacon (cut into small pieces)
    1 med. onion, diced
    1/2 c. water
    1 c. finely chopped potatoes
    1/4 c. chopped celery
    1 cans cream style corn
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    Add milk to desired consistency

Fry or microwave bacon until crisp. Set aside. Sauté onions in oil about 5 minutes. Add water, celery and potatoes. Cover and cook over low heat until potatoes and celery are tender. Blend in creamed corn, bacon and milk and heat until all ingredients are warm or you can wait and sprinkle the bacon over the top of the chowder when you serve it. (For richer taste, you can use some half & half or other cream.)

Baked Corn Pudding

½ c. sugar
    3 tablespoons flour
    3 eggs
    ¼ cup butter, melted
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon pepper
    1 (15.25 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
    1 (14.75 oz. can cream-style corn

In a bowl, combine sugar and flour. Whisk in eggs, milk, butter, salt and pepper. After draining whole kernel corn, stir in both cans of corn. Pour into a greased 1 ½ quart baking dish. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.

Soon our families will wonder, what's up with all the corn?

It was very cold here last evening and last night. I admit I am not much of a coat person. I like cold weather if it is at least a little above freezing. I take a jacket or sweater with me when I go out, but seldom wear it - long sleeves are good enough for me, so you can see why I really dislike high heat in the summer. I've been in awe of the snow pictures in the Buffalo area. I lived there for a few years, but never during one of the huge blizzards. My parents were still there when a bad storm hit one winter. My father had to get a special pass allowing him to be on the roads.

Catching us up on our swap list:

*brittneysgran (Shirley) sends to Sheri RECEIVED
    *panhandle_seed_swap (Sheri) sends to Annie RECEIVED
    *canyonwind (Annie) sends to Shirley (scj48) RECEIVED
    *sjc48 (Shirley) sends to Mandy SENT
    *l1onnes (Mandy) sends to Vina RECEIVED
    *flowergirl34 (Vina) sends to Sharon
    *gmom-6boys (Sharon) sends to Melinda RECEIVED
    *Ilovefarac (Melinda) sends to Erica RECEIVED
    *EricaBraun (Erica) sends to Katie RECEIVED
    *kchd (Katie) sends to Margo RECEIVED
    *smitties (Margo) sends to Jasmine RECEIVED
    *jas_il (Jasmine) sends to Ruth RECEIVED
    *ruthz (Ruth) sends to Suzanne SENT
    *hibiscusfan (Suzanne) sends to Heidi SENT
    *xiangirl (Heidi) sends to Beth RECEIVED
    *beth_b_kodiak (Beth) sends to Jeanne RECEIVED
    *sandlapper_rose (Jeanne) sends to Shirley (brittneysgran) RECEIVED

I'll be watching for additions and corrections.

Heidi, sorry to hear about your tooth. I hope it doesn't hurt for too long. There is one of my teeth that had a root canal and was crowned several years back and it hurts nearly all the time. They can't see anything in x-rays, but the dentist says it probably has a hairline fracture in the root and to put up with it if I can, but it will probably have to come out at some point. You've gotta hate it when you spend that much on a tooth and it never is painless even after all that!

Shirley, I'm glad you liked the card and so impressed your found a corn variety for the letters U and Z. You are a winner as well! Will send out a small prize as soon as I am out to the post office again.

Have a great evening ... and if it's not great, at least be warm.

Jeanne

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Good morning to all! Hope everyone is staying warm! It is cold for this time of year here!
    Loving these recipes-perfect for cool weather!
    Way to go Shirley! Good for you! It took me a while to find the names of the others,without finding ones that weren't written out!
    BTW, to all who knew, my grandson's team lost State by 2 points! It was cold, sleety, and miserable, but they played hard! I'm quite proud of them anyway! First time our little town ever went to Regionals and to State! It was also first time I saw my grandson on the ground and have to wait to see if he was ok! Took about 3 min. and he was up and going again. I worry about that though! Makes your heart stop for awhile!
    Hope everyone stays warm and cozy today! Melinda

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Almost forgot...here are the recipes I sent Shirley (sjc). I have been making the creamed corn and spinach soufflé for years. They are from a restaurant named Gullivers which is about 40 minutes from my home. If any of you have ever flown in to Orange County, CA (John Wayne Orange County Airport, Gullivers is across the street. Many people do not think the food is as good as it used to be...but I was just their again last month and it was outstanding.I have been going their for many, many years. Lots of wonderful family memories at Gullivers.

GULLIVER'S CREAMED CORN (I usually make this recipe x 3 or x 4 ect. depending)

2 pkgs. (20 oz.) frozen kernel corn
    8 oz. (1/2 pt.) whipping cream
    8 oz. (1/2 pt.) homogenized milk
    1 tsp. salt
    6 tbsp. sugar
    Pinch white or cayenne pepper
    2 tbsp. melted butter
    2 tbsp. flour
    Combine all ingredients except last two in a pot and bring to boil. Simmer 5 minutes. Blend butter with flour, add to corn, mix well and remove from heat.

Variation:
    Put finished corn in heat proof casserole, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and place under broiler till evenly browned. (I never do this)
    Gulliver's Spinach Souffle (I usually make this x 3 or x 4)

1 lb Frozen spinach, defrosted
    1 1/2 Cups Warm milk
    1/2 Cup finely chopped bacon
    1/2 Cup Chopped onions
    1 Garlic clove chopped fine
    1 tsp Salt
    1/4 tsp Course Ground Pepper
    1/3 Cup Flour

Squeeze spinach as dry as possible and reserve. Cook bacon slowly. Do not brown.
    Add chopped onions, cook until translucent. Add garlic, salt, pepper, and flour.

Stir continuously for about two minutes. Add milk and whip until smooth. Stir and cook for two more minutes. Add spinach - cook for five more minutes. Stir occasionally. Cover top with melted butter until ready to serve. Serves 6

Jalapeno Cornbread

1 cup buttermilk
    1 egg
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1 small sweet onion, chopped
    1/4 cup chopped jalapenos (jar kind)
    1 1/2 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, colby, smoked provolone, your choice or a mix)
    8 ounces creamed corn
    1 1/4 cup cornmeal
    3/4 cup to 1 cup flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tblsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat Oven at 400º

Mix milk, egg and oil; add onions, jalapenos, cheese and corn. Mix dry ingredients together and mix with wet ingredients just until moistened. Pour into
    a greased 10 x 7 pan and top with more shredded cheese and sliced jalapenos (fresh).
    Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned. Top with melted butter if desired.

Congrats to Erica, Melinda and Shirley on the Corn game.

Stay warm........

Annie

9 years ago

Received my corny card from Ruth today. In it was a cute picture of a corn candle and receipe. Thanks Ruth! Sorry I Got the picture turned the wrong way, not to good on the computer. lol

9 years ago

Trying again.

• l1oness
    9 years ago

I received my corny card today from Shirley - I'll have to post a pic. It was very cute and homemade. She included a recipe for slow cooker corn with onion and chives, and seeds of yellow cosmic cosmos and Alumina Vanilla Cream marigolds. The seeds were chosen for their color - yellow. Thank you Shirley - it's fun! And so very nicely packed!

Slow Cooker Corn w/chives & onions
    4 slices baclon
    4.5 cup whole kernel corn
    1/2 red bell pepper chopped
    1/2 cup half & half
    1/4 cup butter
    1 tsp white sugar
    salt & pepper to taste
    1 8oz chive & onion sour cream

Cook bacon, cool, and crumble. Combine corn, pepper, half & half, butter, sugar, salt, pepper,, and half the bacon in a slow cooker. Stir well and cook on high for 2.5 hrs. Then stir in cream cheese. Sprinkle remaining bacon on top.

-- or my solution would be to eat the remaining bacon. I will have a hard time keeping cooked bacon in the house for more than 2 hours.

Thank you Shirley!

Mandy

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting, ladies. I'll update the list after I get my good night's sleep.

I did want to let Erica and Melinda know that I mailed your prizes today. Shirley, yours will be sent out tomorrow. I have a few other things to mail, too. The post office got lots of my business this week! They'll see lots more of me by the time I get the Christmas packages, cards, etc. mailed.

I will be waiting to see what surprise Shirley has for us in December. Shirley always has something good up her sleeve!

Jeanne

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

You did a great job hosting Jeanne! Enjoyed this swap very much!
    Hope all have a wonderful day! And yes, Ruth that would look fabulous with glass gem corn!
    Melinda

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

*brittneysgran (Shirley) sends to Sheri RECEIVED
    *panhandle_seed_swap (Sheri) sends to Annie RECEIVED
    *canyonwind (Annie) sends to Shirley (scj48) RECEIVED
    *sjc48 (Shirley) sends to Mandy RECEIVED
    *l1onnes (Mandy) sends to Vina RECEIVED
    *flowergirl34 (Vina) sends to Sharon
    *gmom-6boys (Sharon) sends to Melinda RECEIVED
    *Ilovefarac (Melinda) sends to Erica RECEIVED
    *EricaBraun (Erica) sends to Katie RECEIVED
    *kchd (Katie) sends to Margo RECEIVED
    *smitties (Margo) sends to Jasmine RECEIVED
    *jas_il (Jasmine) sends to Ruth RECEIVED
    *ruthz (Ruth) sends to Suzanne RECEIVED
    *hibiscusfan (Suzanne) sends to Heidi SENT
    *xiangirl (Heidi) sends to Beth RECEIVED
    *beth_b_kodiak (Beth) sends to Jeanne RECEIVED
    *sandlapper_rose (Jeanne) sends to Shirley (brittneysgran) RECEIVED

Once we hear that Sharon and Heidi have received and the prizes get delivered, we will be all set.

Lots of great postings on here since I commented last. We have more great recipes. I made the one that I received from Beth for dinner last night. It was yummy and simple to make. I love the idea of the miniature corn surrounding the candle, Ruth. Great idea and thanks for sharing the picture, Suzanne.

The swap has been fun. I was just glad it all came together with me not having computer access from Nov. 1 - early on Nov. 11. Annie, you were such a help!

Jeanne

9 years ago

Attention! Attention!
    Suzanne, you made me laugh out loud so hard and so loud my 14-year-old couldn't hear through her headphones!
    I opened this cute corny card with a scarecrow and out dropped a recipe for...
    CORN DOGS!!!!

Oh what fun! And then she added a recipe for corn soufflé and poppy seeds (seed dance will come when I get my breath back) and Fizzy Formula Cosmos! I am determined to grow poppies from seed this year if I have to stand outside with a watering can 23 hours a day!

It was a wild day at the end of several wild days. The guy who is "teaching us" and "mentoring us" into our jobs as chaplains locked us out of our office. It's INSIDE security--why lock it? It used to be his old office--and he's a bit territorial. The master key? He took it 8 years ago and never gave it back to security. I now have my own key!
    My husband is from Ecuador. His brother, 55, is expected to pass away in a few days. Marco leaves for Ecuador on Tuesday. Very sad. A lot of poor choices and neglect.
    I dug into the depths of the 'secret drawer' in my house and did what you're not supposed to do. I'm taking leftover antibiotics. I may soon emerge back into the human race. I could rant and rave about dentists and doctors...but this forum is too fun for that.

Corny Joke
    Did you hear about the magic tractor? It turned into a field!
    Thank you Suzanne!
    Heidi

9 years ago

• smitties
    9 years ago

So many good recipes on here. I want to try them all. I am going to copy and paste the recipes and make myself a little booklet.

Heidi, my prayers to your husbands family. Not sure why you turned to antibiotics but if your husband is leaving, you best take care of yourself since you will be on your own.

Jeanne, great swap. I just love how the conversations go on all month long. It's such a great way to get to know one another. Thanks for hosting.

Freezing rain here this morning and although we had decided to skip the holiday parade this morning due to the weather, it actually got cancelled. I feel bad for the people who have put so much into organizing it as well as the participants. I wasn't happy to be missing a parade for the first time in 31 years but it is too bad they were forced to cancel. It's probably a safer bet since there are slide offs all over the roads.

Everyone have fun today. Margo

• smitties
    9 years ago

I have a question. Does anyone here brine their turkey. My husband and I have decided to try it and there are so many different recipes on line for brining. I just want something simple. Anyone have a simple recipe. Thanks

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Margo,

I have done Food Network's Alton Brown's brine...very good....below

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe.html

And I have done a brine very similar/maybe the same as the Pioneer Woman recipe. I have use both apple juice and apple cider. Both were fine to me. I have never used a brine bag. I always put it in a very large sterilized plastic container, big enough to hold a 20 1b turkey

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/10/my-favorite-turkey-brine/

There are many simple brine recipes on the net if these do not appeal to you.

Have fun.

I hope Vina is OK in New York...........

Jeanne, you have hosted another fantastic swap. Thanks!!
    How is the clean up going at your house?

Happy weekend!

Annie

9 years ago

Heidi, the best way I've found to grow poppies is to scatter them out where you want them over the last snow of the winter. Last winter I missed the last snow and scattered them after a cold rain and it also worked. I never had any luck winter sowing them or starting in the house. Hope that works. Enjoy those corn dogs! lol

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Margo-Annie's brine turkey recipes sounds wonderful. I tried close to the same one and did it in a cooler. So very easy and out of the way. My refrigerator is always so packed it is hard to brine a turkey in it. A lot of our local churches have started deep frying turkeys and selling them for fund raising money so our family has started buying them and they are delicious.

Heidi-So sorry to hear about your Brother-In-Law. Traveling mercies for your DH as he travels to Ecuador.
    Take care of yourself and if you need us we are here for you. Those recipes from Suzanne sound delicious.

Shirley

• flowergirl34
    9 years ago

Evening!!

Annie, thank you so much for my corny prize!! I love my sparkly Statue of Liberty!! So pretty!! THANK YOU!

Mandy, I received my corny card today! Very cute! Santa is holding a corn cob. Inside she wrote me a poem:

Whenever the winter snow gets deep,
    Santa has a field grown treat.
    Before the days of Christmas haste,
    He can't resist the corn's sweet taste.

Love it!!

My Recipe:

SWEET CORN AND ZUCCHINI PIE
    Author: Pinch of Yum
    Serves: 6-8 (nutrition is for 8)
    INGREDIENTS
    4 tablespoons butter
    1 yellow onion, diced
    2 ears sweet corn
    2 large zucchini, sliced thin (about 4 cups)
    8 ounces sliced mushrooms
    1 tablespoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    ½ teaspoon salt
    12 ounces shredded cheese (I used both Mozzarella and Swiss)
    3 eggs, beaten
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Heat the butter in a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions, zucchini, and mushrooms. While the veggies saute, cut the corn kernels off the cob. Add them to the pan and continue to saute until the veggies are soft, 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat.
    Add the basil, oregano, and salt. Stir once to combine. Add the cheese and the beaten egg. Line a pie pan (9-inch or larger) with parchment paper or just grease a pan with nonstick spray. Transfer the mixture to the pan. Arrange the top so the zucchini slices lay flat and look nice. Top with a little extra cheese for looks, cover with greased foil, and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes to brown the top. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before cutting into slices.
    NOTES
    It will bubble up a little bit as it bakes, so put a pan under to catch drips if it's really full. Also, there was a little extra watery-ness (about 2 tablespoons) in the bottom of my pan when I sliced it, but the pieces held together perfectly so NBD. I think the moisture could be prevented by just being a little more patient before cutting.

I sprinkled mine with fresh herbs (parsley and cilantro) like I always do on everything. Basil would also be yummy.

Yummy!!

Sharon, your card is going out Monday morning. I was waiting and waiting for something to arrive to add to your envie...finally it showed up, so now I can send some to you :)

Happy Saturday!!
    vina

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Jeanne -- I got the prize that you sent today! All I have to say is, omg, Milk Chocolate Caramel popcorn seasoning! I didn't know such a thing existed. Yum! I can't wait to give it a try. And what a perfect "corny" prize! ... Oh, and there's popcorn too. Sorry, I got overly excited about the seasoning. Lol.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love the poem about Santa and corn! Mandy, that was so clever.

I think I posted that I made Iowa Corn Casserole, the recipe I received. We didn't have a group of cowboys to help us finish it so there was a little left over and the next day I microwaved a potato and put some of the casserole and butter on it and a bit of sour cream to the side. It was delicious! I'll bet some of the other corn recipes could work on backed potatoes, too. As my daughter says, you have to love a recipe that makes 2 different meals!

So glad you liked your prize, Erica. I mailed Shirley's last week so maybe it will be there on Monday. (Yours is something different though, Shirley. Gee, maybe I should have made them all the same...)

Thinking of you and your family, Heidi. Glad you received your corny card and recipe. Waiting to hear from Sharon and our swap will be complete.

I hurt my finger late yesterday afternoon and it is very sore and swollen, so I may not do much more typing today. Have a great day!

Jeanne

9 years ago

We've been eating corn chowder. I'm on my 3rd pot of it. I made a combination of a couple recipes on here:
    Heidi's Corn Chowder
    1/4 c. margarine, melted
    1 onion, chopped and sautéed (from a jar)
    1 T. chopped garlic, sautéed
    1/2 c. celery, sautéed
    2 cans creamed corn
    1 can whole kernel corn
    milk
    Option A: polish sausage, cut and fried in small pieces, added in
    Option B: Garlic chicken breast, cubed
    Option C: pork sausage, fried in small pieces, added in

Such a wonderful sweet/salty flavor I love and so does the entire family. I put potatoes in the first time, but decided against those later.
    Heidi

• flowergirl34
    9 years ago

Evening!

Sharon, your Corny-ness is on its way :) Tracking number: 9114 9999 4431 3298 8788 53 Estimated Delivery is Wednesday. So sorry for the delay.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!
    vina

• sjc48
    9 years ago

Hi Everyone, sorry I've been MIA, my computer crashed on Thursday. Fortunately, my SIL was here over the weekend and got it up and running again yesterday. Good SIL!!!!

Jeanne, this was, once again, a really great swap! And thanks to all who joined in to share all the great recipes! I got your email, but couldn't respond, Margo and Katie, same thing, will email all soon!

I am going to post December's swap on Saturday or Sunday. It will be "The Third Annual Christmas Card swap" and I'm hoping lots of you can join in!

Off to straighten up my house and reassure the cats that both little girls have gone home. My cats aren't used to lots of fussing, which is what Tabs and MyrnD do with them. Nothing mean, but it seems constant attention really gets on the cats nerves!

Talk to ya all soon, if I'm not back on, Happy Thanksgiving, All!
    Shirley!

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

I want to say a big Thank You to Jeanne! I got my gift from the name the corns and it was a really nice package of popcorn and bottle of cheddar bacon popcorn seasoning!! Wrapped all cute and such a great gift for this swap! Can't wait to try the seasoning, I eat a lot of popcorn and that sounds great! Thank you so much! Hope all are getting ready for a great Thanksgiving! Enjoy, stay safe if you're traveling, and stay warm! Hugs to all, Melinda

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Shirley, looking forward to your December swap.

Jeanne, thanks so much for a month of corniness.....what fun and great recipes too.

Annie

• smitties
    9 years ago

Jeanne, echoing Annie, thanks so much. I had a lot of fun. I not only have fun getting my packages in these swaps but have even more fun getting to know my fellow gardenwebbers through conversations we have here.

Shirley, glad you're back. Was wondering what was up. Take your time getting back to my email, this is a busy week for all.

If I am not back here by Thursday, happy Thanksgiving to all.

Margo

• kchd
    9 years ago

I'll also reiterate what Annie and Margo said. Nice swap & simple enough for me to get it done. Looking forward to next month's swap, too.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Glad everyone enjoyed the swap and it sounds like it is now complete!
    Shirley, glad you can get online once again. Having been "disconnected from the world" for 10 days early this month, I have total sympathy for anyone with computer problems.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Stay safe --- and I'm not going to say "Don't eat too much" --- how about "Enjoy!"

Jeanne

• canfan
    9 years ago

Just a note of Thanksgiving cheer to all FOTESS'ers... The shared recipes look delicious and the corny jokes 'cracked' me up.... May your Thanksgiving meals and memories bring you peace and joy. Lots to be thankful about, lots to be thoughtful about as well. Peggy

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

My sentiments are the same as others! I loved this swap, it was so simple and so much fun! Great recipes, good camaraderie and laughs! Thanks for the gift again! Happy Thanksgivng to all and have many blessings.
    Jeanne, hats off to you for the swap and Annie for stepping in when needed!
    Hugs to all, Melinda

• flowergirl34
    9 years ago

Happy Pre Thanksgiving everyone!! Or should I say Prep Thanksgiving, lol. Half the day we're chopping and getting ready for tomorrow. We have 9 coming for dinner tomorrow. Kids are so excited!!

Jeanne, I want to add my THANK YOU!! for this wonderful swap!! Sorry for my delay in mailing, but, I did love it :D

Annie, THANK YOU for jumping in with all the wonderful games :) So much fun!! I hung my sparkly Lady Liberty up so she can enjoy Thanksgiving.

Tomorrow night we put up the tree with family. A tradition we have had since I was a very little girl with my grandfather.

Don't know how much "Black Thursday" shopping I'm going to get done. Probably none. My kids want such off the wall things this year, that most stores don't even have what they are looking for,lol. Found a great science catalog for some of Billy's things, still looking for Taylor, lol. Love my unique kids :D

Have a great day everyone!!!
    vina

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Jeanne-Thank you so much for the Thanksgiving pot holder. I have already put it to good use. Your game was a lot of fun along with this great swap.

Shirley

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving!! Melinda and Nicole, wishing you good health.
    Enjoy the day...stay warm and be safe!

Annie

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Wishing all of my Fotess friends a wonderful Happy Thanksgiving! May you have a blessed day with lots of love, laughter, and many new memories! Melinda

• sjc48
    9 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! Hope you all had an enjoyable day.
    I'll be back on Sunday with the December FOTESS Swap!
    Shirley!