Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elliesfun

NEW: Autumn Favorite's

elliesfun
13 years ago

Welcome to the MNF's "Autumn Favorite's seed swap. Seed's can be flowers, flowering bushes, vines, grasses or vegetables.

DETAILS OF THE SWAP:

1. You can send as many seed packets as you would like, but try to limit to no more than 10 packets of the same variety unless they're a rare or new introduction, or specialty name varieties and then the maximum will go up to 20 per same variety.

1. Make a LIST of the seed varieties that you are including. Hopefully I will try to send back all new and different varieties of seed depending on what is sent in. People love variety, so try to include as many different varieties as you are able to.

3. Please send your seeds in a BUBBLER MAILER! I will reuse the envelope to return your seeds to you.

4. The deadline for seeds to reach me will be November 15th and I will try to have back by the first part of December.

5. In your bubble mailer: Include your seeds, a label with your return address on it for me to put on your envelope, enough postage to get your package back to you and a list of all the seeds you are sending. If you would like, you may include a list of seeds you are looking for.

Please sign up ON THIS THREAD. After you sign up remember to send an e-mail message to me asking for my address. In it include your full name, mailing address, GardenWeb name and your e-email address.

OK! Are you ready to join the swap? You know you wanna! We all like seeds whether we plant them or not. It's the idea of having the packets of seeds to look at and thinking just where in the world can we tuck them into a space.

Comments (80)

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hope everyone had a wonderful Friday. Isn't it amazing how we all look forward to Friday like it has some kind of magic.

We have a another person to add to our swap (smcapri). You need to email me with your email address so that I can send you my address. I won't list it on this site.

Does anyone know what type of vine Joyce has? I have never seen it. Joyce is it an annual or perennial? Although I guess it depends on the zone you live in too.

Isn't it next week we set our clocks ahead so that it gets dark earlier? I really don't like it getting dark so early. I get tired and think its time for bed. LOL

Well, its been a long day so shall close for now. Have a great evening everyone.

"A garden is a friend you can visit anytime?

Ellie

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

Joyce,
    Can you post a closer photo of the flower on your vine? I have a couple of possibilities in mind, but I really can't tell which foliage goes with the vine and I can't see the shape of the flowers. My eyes just are not as sharp as they used to be.
    Does the flower form remind you of Lathyrus blossoms?

• beauswatch
    13 years ago

Ellie, I recently moved here so I am not sure if the vine is a perennial or an annual. Pretty sure it's a perennial here. The yard hasn't been kept up in years so I can't wait to see what surprises await me come spring.

Alana, I wish I had taken a close up of the flower when it was in bloom but that pic posted is all I have. The bloom kind of looked like a salvia bloom but then I looked up the Lathyrus blossom and the shape does look similar. My memory is starting to fade on the shape of the bloom.

• lilangel181
    13 years ago

Happy weekend to everyone!

Joyce, could it be a sweetpea? Mine were nibbled to death by the critters, otherwise I would send you a picture.
    ~Laura

• ohiovalleygardener
    13 years ago

I would like to do this swap too. Hope I'm not to late I am new this year and done a couple of sase but this is the first like this. I will email to get your address. Thanks so much. Vicci

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

***peeking in to see how everyone is doing***

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome Vicci. No its not too late to join...love to have you. I will email you my address.

Joyce, I have been looking through my gardening books and I didn't come up with anything. Is it still blooming so that you can take a closer picture?

Been hauling compost this afternoon to put around the fruit trees for the winter. Sure hope I don't loose any this winter. Last winter I lost 11 but it got so cold in January and the winds were so strong. We had gotten a warm spell right after Christmas the the trees started to get leaf buds.

Thanks for checking in Dan. Come back anytime or better yet join us.

"Garden": A thing of beauty and a job forever.
    Isn't that the truth!

Have to go the Home Depot so shall check in later.
    Have a good afternoon!

Ellie

• beauswatch
    13 years ago

Laura, it may be a sweetpea vine. I have never seen one so can't be sure.

Ellie, it is not in bloom anymore. I am gathering plenty of seeds off the vine to share with everyone.

I am watching a nature program on hummingbirds. It is so interesting. I must get more feeders!

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Ellie, I'm still hosting the holiday cocktail seed swap, so I'm going to be sitting this one out. I'll poke my head in the door from time to time though.

Joyce, how about posting a picture of those seeds you're gathering? That would help identify that plant.

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We are finally getting some much needed rain between yesterday and today it is getting mushy in the yard. Good thing I am not going out for anything.

Been trying to get my office cleaned up...it's been a dump & run for too long now. Mainly just needs filing. Seems like through the summer months I don't get much done in the house..so now is the time.

There is still plenty of time for those who are still just thinking about joining the swap. Did anyone grow any new and exciting orange, yellow or red flowers this year? I went out yesterday during a break in the weather to see about harvesting some more seeds but I think all the frosty nights and cool weather did them in. I brought in some snapdragens but not sure if they can be saved.

Guess I better get back to work. What do you call it when worms take over the world? Global worming!

Have a nice day!

Ellie

• w9yards
    13 years ago

I would like to join!

Thanks,

Diana

w9yards

• smitties
    13 years ago

Hi Ellie and others. No new red, yellow, or orange things here but I did successfully grow cotton. Someone happen to send me some seeds last year. Well, actually the seeds were inside the natural cotton ball. I ended up with two plants, one white and one pink and I was absolutely thrilled. Now I am keeping an eye on the pods and grabbing the cotton balls as the pods dry up and open. I want to make sure I get one from each plant so I can replant next year. The rest will be shared and I will be including some in this swap. I just wish I could remember who sent them to me. I have it written in my notes somewhere if I could just find the notes. LOL

It is raining!!! After we had an extremely wet spring, we went into a hot and dry summer so we are behind in rainfall. The next few days we are supposed to get more rain. I have to postpone getting my seed package sent because I still need to harvest and have to wait for it to be dry. I will definitely get it in on time.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and their next week is a good one.

Margo

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Happy Monday morning everyone! Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.

Here is the updated list as to who is participating in the swap.
    Alana
    Diene
    Margo
    Vina
    Shirley
    Sue
    Faye
    Laura
    Joyce
    Debbie
    Smcapri
    Vicci
    Diana

At least it isn't raining yet. I would like to get to work before it starts. Waiting for the bus in the rain isn't fun. Only suppose to get 47* today. Not ready for such cold weather. Better get moving. Happy monday everyone.

Ellie

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Can you believe it's the last week in October already. One more week to finish off the month. And it's also hard to believe Halloween is this coming weekend.

I have received Alana 's and Vina's packets already. Don't worry though, we still have at least 2 more weeks.

I am still waiting to here from smcapri. You have chosen not to reveal your email address and that is the only way I can give you my address to mail your seeds.

We still have time for anyone else that would like to join.

Was checking all the emails and noticed that I had forgotten to put Shanta on the list.

So far we have:
    Alana
    Diene
    Margo
    Vina
    Shirley
    Sue
    Faye
    Laura
    Joyce
    Debbie
    Smcapri
    Vicci
    Diana
    Shanta

Have a good evening everyone.

Ellie

• smitties
    13 years ago

Halloween may be right around the corner but you wouldn't know it by the weather here. We were in the 70's today and we had storms blow through that spawned tornadoes through a few states. It really rained hard too. We really needed it though.

Those of you lurking, come on and sign up. I am going to be including some special varieties of coneflowers and blanketflowers. This is such a great way to get new things for your gardens.

Hope everyone stayed safe in the weather that ripped through.

Margo

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just heard on the news that we are suppose to get some snow tonight. I sure hope that report is WRONG. I have a few more things to do in the yard this weekend. I had forgotten to put mulch down over the blueberry patch last weekend. Also remembered that I wanted to get some more bulbs to plant this fall. I planted lots last year but would like to get some more. Shall run over to Lowe's some night after work.

We still have a few more days to sign up. How many of you winter sow? I did some last year with mixed feelings. There wasn't enough snow cover to keep the seeds protected from the cold temps and the wind. But I probably will try again this year.

What do you call a cow who works for a gardener? A lawn moo-er.

Have a great evening.

Ellie

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi everyone!

Ellie, so glad my bubbly arrived :)
    I went and got some tubs to give the sweet potatoes a try in the spring. **cross your fingers**

We had a couple of snow flakes last week. Nothing stuck (thank goodness)! And now today 75! I wish the weather would make up its mind. My sinus' can't really stand much more. On Friday, my daughter has her school Halloween parade. Its suppose to be maybe 50 out. Those poor kids. At least it won't be raining...crossing my fingers again!

I just got my last daff bulbs in the ground yesterday. I got: Ador and High Society. And every year my daughter and I plant snow crocus on the hill at our house. We buy one bag (about 30 bulbs) and plant them in the grassy hill. She's going to be 7 and we have been doing this for about 5 years. It looks so pretty in the spring! We walk around and find all our new arrivals. Nice time of year, when its still too cold to do any yard work but after a long winter you REALLY want to get outside.

Ellie, if your looking to wintersow there is a wintersowing swap that just started. I'm already signed up and it looks like fun. :)

Have a great day all!
    vina

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,
    Almost made it to Friday. Hey! Vina, I will check out the winter sowing site. Maybe by asking some questions regarding how to sow in the colder climate would probably help. I have always started my seeds under the grow lights. Maybe in the colder regions later spring would be a better time to plant outdoors. Do any of you have any suggestions on winter sowing?

We have about a couple of weeks to sign up for the "Autumn Favorite's" swap. So if there is anyone that is still sitting on the fence wondering if they should join, just do it.

Received some emails regarding how many packages of seeds to send. Send as many as you want. There is no limit.

Ellie

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    13 years ago

How is everyone's Saturday? It has been raining here off and on all day. Not complaining, because we need the moisture, but I had to work outside in it.

Had a few chores yet to get done before winter comes. I needed to work compost around the blueberries, then I put weed cloth all along the plants and then topped it off with pine needles. I had bought 10 plants 2 years ago and they are slow growing although they did bloom and produce berries. I never had any because the birds got to them first. I think this spring when the berries come on I will put netting around it to see if I can keep the birds out.

I got that project done but nothing else. I don't have pine trees so had to go out in the woods are rake up some. Lots out there. Tomorrow I want to put something around all the shrubs that I bought this year for some added protection. I also need to clean out the chicken house.

What vegetable do you need a plumber for? A leek.

Have a good evening.

Ellie

• jodie74
    13 years ago

Is it too late to join? If not, count me in! I'm new but I have seed & I'm trying to diversify my seed stash! :D

Jodie

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Happy Monday!
    How was everyone's weekend? Did you get lots of trick or treaters? I never get any here since I am in the county. People tend to go into the housing districts where there are more homes.

Welcome Jodie to the seed swap. You have plenty of time to get your seeds together.

So far I have received packages from: Alana, Vina & Shanta.
    We still have about 2 weeks and if there is anyone else that would like to join, please post here.

I worked in the yard over the weekend putting pine needles around the blueberries. Now hopefully this coming weekend I can get all the shrubs covered with pine needles.

What did Santa Claus say when he walked through a garden?
    Hoe! Hoe! Hoe!

Got a couple of things to do yet tonight so shall sign off.
    Have a great evening everyone!

Ellie

• moonphase
    13 years ago

Hi Ellie,
    I would like to join this swap..I will email you for your address.
    I wintersow and have had great success.I am so hooked on it ,don't think I want to ever stop growing new things.The most I have done is a little over 600 containers a couple of yrs ago.last winter I had foot surgery and was still hopping around to get at least some seeds done.Hope you come on over to the forum.great people there and will always go out of their way to help you with winter sowing.
    moonphase

• smitties
    13 years ago

No trick or treaters here because we live out in the country. When we lived in the city, I decorated the front yard and it took me most of a day to get it all done. The neighborhood loved it. I don't do it out here because there is no one to see it.

We had our first frost Sunday night and a real hard one last night and everything is gone for the year. ;( I hate how the summer flies by and the winters seem to drag on forever. I need to go out and do one last seed harvest and then clear out the gardens for 2010.

The only fun thing about the end of a gardening year is the idea of planning, swapping,and buying new things for next year.

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome Moonphase. You have plenty of time to gather your seeds together. Everyone's seeds need to be to me by November 15th so that I can get them back to you.

We haven't had any heavy frosts or snow lately since the temperature has gone back up into the low 50's again. But have we had the rain and it's suppose to rain all next week too. Just because I wanted to take some time off from work. Oh well, I guess I'm not that sweet that I will melt.

Speaking of snow...there's one good thing about snow, it makes your lawn look as nice as your neighbor's. There have been some years that I was so far behind in my fall work that I wanted snow to cover up everything. Good way to hide stuff, but then comes spring and what a mess. LOL

Well shall call it a night. Have a good one!

Ellie

• smitties
    13 years ago

Happy day after election everyone and I am happy it is over because now my phone will stop ringing.

Very heavy frosts each night now and we had a two hour delay of schools.

Ellie, I need you to send me your address again. I deleted the email that contained it. Whenever I get it, I will mail the package the next day.

The sun is shining so hope it warms up enough to get out and harvest the last of the coneflowers. I also have to dig up my dahlia bulbs.

Good day to everyone, smitties

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good morning everyone,
    Hey, it's Friday! Suppose to rain all weekend and next week so I guess I will make this one a "house cleaning weekend". I received Shirley's seeds in the mail.

Those of you that are still thinking whether or not to join, you have another couple of days and that will be plenty of time for me to receive them and get back out to you.

"The west way to garden is to put on a wide-brimmed straw hat and some old clothes. And with a hoe in one hand and a cold drink in the other, tell somebody else where to dig."

Happy Friday everyone!

Ellie

• snapdragon36
    13 years ago

Mailed my seeds out today.
    Have a good weekend everyone.
    Debbie

• beauswatch
    13 years ago

I mailed my seeds out yesterday. It's getting close and I can hardly wait to see what comes back.

Joyce

• smitties
    13 years ago

Hey Ellie, forgot to post that I mailed my envelope Thursday morning. You should get it on Monday or Tuesday.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend so far. The extra hour of sleep tonight will help, won't it? We had sunny skies but cold temperatures today. We have also had several hard frosts this past week so flowers are all gone now. It looks like we might be getting our Indian summer this week coming as there are several days with the temps in the 60's. I will probably harvest what is left out in the gardens and clear out debris.

Why is it I tell myself every year that I will not harvest much and end up with a big box filled with seed packages? I have such a hard time passing up a plant full of seeds.

Have a lovely Sunday. Margo

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good morning,

Thanks for the reminder Margo, I forgot to set my clocks back. I was so busy cleaning house yesterday I just forgot. Most spring clean, I holiday clean. Hopefully this spring I can get a lawn planted and there won't be so much dust. But I guess that is what country living is like. I forgot how it was on the farm. DUST all the time.

I have received the following packages so far:
    Alana
    Vina
    Shirley
    Shanta
    Margo
    Hopefully in another week or so I can start to sort the seeds.

I see it's raining out already. That will keep me focused on house cleaning. Although there is still plenty to do outside.

Spanish Proverb: More grows in the garden that the gardener sows.

Have a nice Sunday everyone.

Ellie

• jodie74
    13 years ago

My seeds went out today!

It'll be as fun as Christmas Day (for me) the day my envelope gets back to me! :D

Jodie

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,

Oh is that north wind blowing tonight. Baby it is cold outside. Going to have to wear a heavier coat in the morning I am thinking. I hope this weekend will be a little warmer. I don't have any of the newly planted shrubs protected yet.

I have received the seeds from the following ladies now:
    Alana
    Vina
    Shirley
    Shanta
    Margo
    Debbie
    Faye
    Joyce

As soon as the rest comes, I will start sorting them for you. I will print out everyone's want list to see what each is looking for. Hopefully many wishes will be granted or close to it. I haven't checked yet to see what has come in.

"The mere fact that you get a lot of seeds in a packet doesn't mean you have to plant them all." Henry Mitchell

But we still like to plant as many as we can and then wonder where to plant them after the seeds germinate. Oh well!

Have a good evening everyone.

Ellie

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Received Jodie's & Diana's packet of seeds today. Thank you ladies! Waiting on the following:

Diene / onemainelady
    Moonphase
    Sue / carrlinesue
    Vicci / Ohiovalleygardner
    Laura / lilangell81
    smcapri

When I receive the rest I shall start to sort.

How are everyone's Thanksgiving plans? Staying home or traveling? I shall be having Thanksgiving here on Friday.
    The girls work on Thursday. Gives me one more day to prepare.

This weekend I am hoping to finish cleaning the house. Guess I better get going then.

Ellie

• diene
    13 years ago

Hello Ellie;
    I apologize but I have been traveling and getting ready for winter and did not even remember I had signed up for this. I really am no good with seeds so I have no idea why I signed up for this swap (might have been one of those nights I was joining Linda in the Bailey's). Anyway, if it is not going to ruin something, can I politely remove myself from the list? If it is a problem, I have plenty of seeds (I always harvest them) so I can get some out to you but I really do not want any back!! Let me know.
    diene

• diene
    13 years ago

Hello All;
    Ellie kindly let me out of this as she can see what a scatterbrain I have become. I will continue to visit but I will not be part of this swap as I am not good at growing things from seed (mostly because I do not try hard enough). Basically lazy, you know.

• lilangel181
    13 years ago

Hello.
    Sorry to be such a scatterbrain this month but I promise promise that seeds are going out in the next few days. Ellie, could you please send me your address? It is so hard to think that Thanksgiving is next week already... it isn't even cold out!
    ~Laura

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,

Received Laura's seeds today so hopefully by next week I can have them all back in the mail to everyone.

We had our first snow last night (about 2 inches) and is it cold out tonight. By the first of the week the high is suppose to be about 11 degrees. Oh, baby that is cold.

Guess I better start sorting seeds. Will let everyone know when I mail. Thanks!

Ellie

• smitties
    13 years ago

Ellie, please keep that snow on your side of the country. I am in no way ready for any of that white stuff. We probably won't be seeing any of it for a while yet as we are expecting unusual highs in the 50's and 60's today and tomorrow.

Good luck sorting.

Margo

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

YEAH!!! Seeds are getting ready to be on there way...like an early Christmas present...:)
    vina

• lilangel181
    13 years ago

Ellie, those aren't my seeds you just got... mine just went into the mail today, with a return address from Michigan. Better double check that box of yours! :)
    ~Laura

• shrlieb
    13 years ago

Received my seeds and they are a great collection for this newbie. Thank you for letting me take part in this swap, it has been alot of fun. Hope to become a big trader this upcoming growing season. Thanks helping me get started!!

Shirley

• smitties
    13 years ago

I received my package today packed full of new things that I can't wait to try and some I have wanted. Thanks to all who contributed to this swap and will be helping make my gardens grow next year. Thanks to Ellie for doing this for us.

Margo

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi all! Received my seeds today! Thanks to everyone who was in the swap...can't wait to give some of these a try!
    And a special thanks to Ellie for hosting!!
    Happy Thanksgiving! vina

• snapdragon36
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    I received my seeds. Thanks to everyone who participated. I got lots of new goodies to try . Ellie thank you for doing the swap you did a great job.
    Debbie

• elliesfun
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am glad that everyone is happy with the seeds that were returned to them. Laura yours will go out in the mail on Monday and Faye I have been holding off for a few days. We have been in the minus digits and I was afraid the cuttings would freeze in transit. I will see what the weather is like towards the end of the week. I just want to thank all of you for participating in the swap.

Ellie

• beauswatch
    13 years ago

I received my package yesterday. Thanks to everyone for all of the amazing seeds. This has been wonderful for me as a fairly new gardener to grow plants I have never heard of. I see many more swaps in my future.

Joyce

• carrlinesue
    13 years ago

Hi Ya'll

Received my package of seeds and was so excited with all of the happies I received. Thanks to everyone--when you give seeds to grow you give love, per me.

Sue

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

I got a very nice package of seeds! Thank you Ellie, and everyone who participated.
    Alana

• jodie74
    13 years ago

Got my seeds!! So many AWESOME seeds to winter sow!!

A HUGE THANK YOU TO ALL!!
    Jodie

• lilangel181
    13 years ago

My package came in yesterday full of all kinds of winter sewing goodies! Thanks so much for running a great swap Ellie.
    ~Laura