Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

UPDATE: Part 4: Theme Garden Seed Swap

sandlapper_rose
15 years ago

I buckled down and did lots of sorting over the past 6 or 7 days. I am very nearly finished. Unless you told me otherwise, everyone now has a nicely stuffed folder. I am going to go through the leftover seeds one more time to see if maybe it didn't click about where they will fit in and then my plan is to post a list of the leftovers here. First come, first served. If you want any of them added to your packet, post here after I add the list and I will watch for people to claim things. I will place a limit of 5 packets per person so hopefully everyone in the swap will get a chance to choose something if they want to. Anything not claimed will be shared with a worthwhile program (like the winter sowing group.)

The list may not be up until after Thanksgiving, but I will see how my time goes. I need to the get house cleaned tomorrow and Tuesday (along with doing my usual errands and work) so I will just have to see how the time goes.

I'll be posting here under Part 4 when I begin to mail the padded envelopes and you can help out by posting when you receive so I won't worry about whether the seeds got to you. I sure hope everyone is happy with the way they were sorted. This was definitely an "eye-opener" for me. I will really appreciate seed swap hostesses more from now on. I wish we were all located closer to one another and we could just have one be seed sorting party!

If I don't get back on here before Thanksgiving, have a safe and happy holiday!

{{gwi:1307518}}

Comments (79)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

Updating here on what seeds are still left if you want to claim some:
    Bachelor Buttons (1 left)
    Silk Tree (1 left)
    Ratibida Pinnata (1 left)
    Zinnia
    Marigold
    Hollyhock
    Cosmos
    Liatris - Purple
    Shasta Daisy (3 left)
    Orange Butterfly Weed (1 left)
    Cleome
    Columbine
    Rose Campion
    Daylily - Stella D'Oro (1 left)
    Morning Glory
    Mammoth Sunflower (1 left)
    Rose Mallow (1 left)
    Hardy Hibiscus (2 left)
    Apple of Peru (1 left)
    Celosia
    Royal Mix Sweet Pea (1 left)
    Butterfly Bush (2 left)
    Datura

I wil try to list some of the varieties that are left and see if maybe that will cause a few more seed packets to get claimed. After that they will go to winter sowing if appropriate or a "seed charity."

Have a wonderful day. I wonder how many are out shopping. I was out early but for pet sitting and no plans to go to the stores today although I suspect Christmas will creep up on us in a hurry.

Enjoy the day!

Jeanne

• isamae
    15 years ago

Hi Jeanne, hope you had a nice Thanksgiving too! I would like one of the hibiscus, zinnia and cosmos. Thanks. Melissa

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    If I may pick a few more from what are left
    I would like some
    merigolds
    zinnias
    cosmos amd
    any daisies
    my mother in law loves things she can toss out and just let'm go

we still have not had our turkey dinner yet, my brother in law had surgery on wensday so we are having our TG dinner tomarrow

happy turkey left over day(for some of us anyway)
    michelle

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Hi Jeanne! I'd like the:
    Celosia
    Butterfly Bush
    Columbine

Thanks again for hosting this!

Kathy

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Melissa, Michelle, and Kathy -
    I made myself a note to send you those seeds. I hope I can get some of the envelopes packed up late Sunday and to the post office on Monday. It sure won't be all of them, but I would like to get a start. I will try to get all out by the end of next week. Unless something unplanned comes up, that should not be a problem.
    Two of the groups I belong to have their Christmas parties next week. I can't gear up for December this soon. I haven't even started to think of Christmas (well, not much at least...) I know with Thanksgiving being as late in the month as it was, things will all run together.
    Anyway, if I can get a few of the leftovers listed by variety I will. Likely going to run out of time. Maybe I just need to toss a few extra seed packets into all the envelopes except those who said they did not want many seeds back. Most of us find we need some extras or can always share with family or friends.
    I have had to get up really early since Wed. and am running on low energy so I think I will be heading up to bed soon.
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just wanted to let you know that some of the seeds will be heading to their owners tomorrow. I think I have about 7 envelopes ready to go. Now that the sorting is done, it should not take me too long to label and get the rest in the mail. As I said, hopefully all will go out by the end of the week.
    I will appreciate it if you post here when you receive your seeds so I won't be wondering if they made it or not.
    Have a good week.
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The easiest thing for me to post to indicate what has been mailed is to list the zip code and delivery confirmation number. I hope the seeds bring a big smile to your face. These went out today. I'll continue to list them as they go out:

Zip 19057 # 0308 0070 0001 7156 9083
    Zip 24333 # 0308 0070 0001 7156 9090
    Zip 52761 # 0305 1720 0000 7542 9962
    Zip 47441 # 0308 0070 0001 7156 9069
    Zip 64064 # 0308 0070 0001 7156 9052
    Zip 98052 # 0308 0070 0001 7156 9076

Jeanne

• playintheyard
    15 years ago

Jeanne,
    Thanks again for doing this for all of us. I'll be anxiously looking at zip codes!! lol
    Annette

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Maybe I just need to toss a few extra seed packets into all the envelopes except those who said they did not want many seeds back.

Absolutely! I'm glad you're not stressing any more over getting it done. I think it's a terrific idea to toss a few here and there and just know that most of us will just adore what all we get and/or would love to share some with others, as you mentioned.

Blessings,
    Angela

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are the zip codes and confirmation numbers for the seeds that got mailed today. I expect to finish packaging those that are left and take them to the post office in a day or two. I hope by then we see that some have arrived at your homes.

Zip 48189 #0308 0070 0001 7156 9144
    Zip 02777 #0308 2040 0000 9713 9424
    Zip 79707 #0308 0070 0001 7156 9120
    Zip 13152 #0308 0070 0001 7156 9137
    Zip 40906 #0308 0070 0001 7156 9113
    Zip 44441 #0308 0070 0000 3693 4230
    Zip 62301 #0308 2040 0000 9713 9417
    Zip 46403 #0308 0070 0001 7156 9106
    Zip 19054 #0308 2040 0000 9713 9400

Jeanne

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Yeah! I'm excited! I'm in the second round of zip codes!

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Yippee skipee! Me too.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Now, this part if fun... waiting for you to receive!
    Don't worry those in round three of the zip codes. I have all but four people packed up and ready to go and should be able to finish the last four today.
    Then I will get in the mood for Christmas... time to haul out the "umpteen million" Christmas decorations and spend lots of time time putting them up...
    Fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la - Deck the halls and all that!
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got the last of the seeds packaged up and now it's time to clear up the scattered papers, rolls of tape, marking pens, etc. I think Kim usually takes time to comment on how decorative or how informative various seed packets are and we had those this year as well, so for those who took a lot of time packaging the seeds and putting lots of information as to what the seed is and how to grow it, know that it was/is appeciated. Some of the packets were lovely and I know you took lots of time doing that!
    I hope I got everything in each envelope that should be in there. I totally apologize if someone got a wrong seed packet or whatever. There should be a note from me in your envelope as well and I'm sorry if I moved along too quickly here at the end and forgot anyone.
    I know some gardeners are getting more seeds back than what you requested, but please humor me - I really needed to get this completed and I know you can use them somehow.
    Anyway, thank you for all the kind words and pats on the back when I was feeling like I would never get through all the sorting. Hooray, one more trip to the post office and my part will be done!!!
    Jeanne

• playintheyard
    15 years ago

Jeanne,

Great job!! I'm sure many here will agree w/ me- we will be pleased w/ everything!
    thanks again Annette

15 years ago

WoooooooooooooooooHoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

One last thing off your "to do" list for this month! Yahooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

I know you did terrificly, but I'm sure you're being harder on yourself than you should as we probably all would be in the same position. Seriously, congratulations on a job well done (a lot of work) that we all appreciate! I hope you enjoy the houseplant with the balloon... I tried to pick out just the right one that will last longer than your other houseplants. hee hee

Blessings,
    Angela

• stage_rat
    15 years ago

Wheeeee! I have seeds on the way!

Thanks again for hosting the swap. I think this swap is a very big job, and you did it! I hope you have set aside all kinds of treats for rewarding yourself now that this is done.

• roflol
    15 years ago

My seeds are in town, I can smell them from here! Thanks Jeanne! :D

Now to sit back and wait patiently for them...

(photoshopped? nahhhhh ;])

• roflol
    15 years ago

Christmas came early! :-] My heartfelt thanks to everybody; you've taken quite a chunk out of my wish list. What blessings you all are... thank you!

Terri :]

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

:O

I haven't even looked in the envelope yet! I am SSSSOOO excited!!!! The mailbox was stuffed with fat seed envelopes today! can't wait to dig into these goodie

Thanks Jeanne for all of your hard work!

• babcia
    15 years ago

I got my Christmas present today. I kind of considered it as a gift to me. I was so excited to open my package. I got so many wonderful surprises. I especially appreciated how many people tagged seeds for me. I'm sure feeling special today.

Thanks, Jeanne. I can't imagine how you managed to do it, but I certainly appreciate your efforts.

Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays!

• andreab
    15 years ago

Wooohooo! I received my envelope today packed full of seeds. Thanks so much to Jeanne & everyone for their generosity. I can't wait to dive in & go through them all. How fun. :) :) ;)

Also, the Christmas card was a nice touch, very thoughtful thanks Jeanne!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the nice words from all who swapped. Angela, I loved the plant and balloon. Anyway, you are all so sweet.

That excitement has me jumping up and down, too. I am so happy to see how excited you are!!! And glad to see that the seeds are arriving where they should as well. For those of you with children listed on your information sheet, I must say that sending to the children was my favorite part of this swap. I hope they are excited to get their seed packets as well.
    All the remaining envelopes got mailed today. ghoghunter, somehow a zip lock baggie with some seeds for you did not make it into your envelope so there should be a second smaller envelope arriving a day or two after the big one.
    Here are the rest of the delivery confirmation numbers in case someone wants to track where the packages are:

Zip 27577 #0308 2040 0000 9713 9479
    Zip 46514 #0308 2040 0000 9713 9486
    Zip 21222 #0308 2040 0000 9713 9455
    Zip 33411 #0308 2040 0000 9713 9448
    Zip 02738 #0308 2040 0000 9713 9509
    Zip 59106 #0308 2040 0000 9713 9899
    Zip 27705 #0308 2040 0000 9713 9493
    Zip 73003 #0308 2040 0000 9713 9431
    Zip 02061 #0308 2040 0000 9713 9516
    Zip 30224 #0308 2040 0000 9713 9875

If anyone is inclined to do this, I would love to get some feedback on the rate and review section from some of you. I am bad about not thinking to do that after trades and it is a nice way for new traders to see whether or not someone seems to be responsible.

Have a good rest of the day!
    Jeanne

• sunset_in
    15 years ago

I got my Christmas present today. Thank you so much Jeanne and everyone for all the great seeds. Thank you Jeanne for all the hard work. You did a great job! Have a Merry Christmas everyone.

Thanks,

Karen

• playintheyard
    15 years ago

eeee-hay I see my zip!! (excuse me first swap) eee-hay!!!!

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

WooHoo!!!! My seeds are coming!!! How wonderful! Thank you again for hosting this, Jeanne! A HUGE undertaking and you've done a wonderful job with it! I will certainly leave you a review as hostess! I'm so excited to see what I get!

Kathy

• isamae
    15 years ago

Hi everyone! I received my HUGE package of seeds today! Thank you so much Jeanne for all of the work you put into doing this-especially this time of year! And, thank you to all of you for your generosity and sharing your seeds with me. I have some health issues and some bummer news today-so this really really made me so happy to get this in the mail today! Happy Holidays and happy winter sowing everyone. Oh and thank you also Jeanne for the nice card! Melissa

• ghoghunter
    15 years ago

I came home from work today to find my seeds on the table!!! Yeah I was so happy. It was a hard day and it was a great pick me up!!! Thank you to Jeanne and all the wonderful people who gave me such nice seeds!!! I can hardly wait to get sowing!!!
    Joann

• suecirish
    15 years ago

WOW! WOW! WOW!
    I got my seeds today, and that's all I can think of to say! I am truly overwhelmed and most appreciative of the generosity of everyone! And thanks especially to Jeanne for doing such a wonderful job coordinating this swap. There are so many wonderful seeds in my package - I'm gonna have lots of butterflies! and lots of herbs! and even some of my most wanted things for my Heritage Garden! Thank you all!
    Sue
    Is it spring yet????

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

I GOT MY SEEDS!!!
    (dance, dance, dance)
    I GOT MY SEEDS!!!
    (dance, dance, dance)
    I GOT MY SEEDS!!!
    (dance, dance, dance)

thank you jeanne and to all the players that sent me seeds
    I love them and I will have a very full garden next year.
    michelle
    ps Timmy was very excited to see the eyeball seeds for him

15 years ago

Oh, my heavens... I'm simply speechless... seriously... and, it's a pretty difficult thing for me to be speechless... LOL

Blessings,
    Angela

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    15 years ago

If you were here Jeanne, I'd give you a big hug! Thanks so much for this bountiful package of seeds! You did an outstanding job with this swap. I know how valuable everyone's time is - especially during the holiday season, so I want you to know that I sincerely appreciate all of the time and effort you put into this swap and in selecting seeds for me!

Also...thanks bunches to everyone who sent seeds in for me!
    You all are truly the best and I will enjoy your gifts for years to come! Happy Holidays to you all...

Smiling Lisa!

• babcia
    15 years ago

This is truly a gift that keeps on giving. I received seeds to plants that were new to me so I've been researching some online and it just keeps getting more exciting. I've gotten things I've never seen before and I can't wait to see them blooming next year. This is my first time in a round robin and it has been a great experience.

Thanks again, Jeanne. You've made a lot of folks very happy with all your effort.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm glad the seeds are getting there and everyone is happy with what they got. Angela, you brought a smile to my face saying you were speechless. Babcia, so pleased you made this swap your first round robin. Lisa, thanks for the hug.
    Micyrey, that was a great dance. LOL
    Sueirish, we had lots of herb seeds sent in and quite a few of us who grow herbs so that was a nice surprise. Glad to see you got some seeds for your Heritage Garden also.
    For those with health concerns (or a bad day), glad the seeds cheered you up.
    We had our Master Gardener luncheon/Christmas party yesterday and the lady who coordinates the Junior Master Gardener program was at my table and they can use the leftover seeds so I will save on postage and just hand deliver them to her. That is a good cause and I love to encourage all the young gardeners which is why I enjoyed putting together some seeds for the kids named in this swap.
    For those who are anxious to sow, check out winter sowing. I don't usually plant until towards the end of January and have had great success with it!
    Talk to you later.
    Jeanne

• drippy
    15 years ago

Well! I arrived home from a full week of teaching (or trying to teach? LOL) music to K-5, to a wonderful, stuffed packet of seeds. I love them all - such a nice selection, including veggies & herbs, and some from my general "wish list", and tons that fit into my many themes! Thanks to all of you who made such generous & thoughtful contributions, and especially thanks to you, Jeanne, for taking this over this year. Believe me, I know what goes into it! And am hoping we might pull it off together next year.

I will enjoy every one of these - thanks again, all!

Jeanne, I am emailing you separately with a question - hope you have a relaxing weekend (is that an oxymoron at this time of year?) planned.

Kim

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Wowzers! I got my seeds today.
    Thanks Jeanne, for doing an excellent job. I look forward to participating to future swaps you host. You are a most considerate hostess and your time is much appreciated.
    Thanks as well to everyone who contributed seeds, especially those earmarked for me in particular. This was an awesome swap and I got a lot of great seeds!
    Alana

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

IM SOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!!! Jeanne, you did an unbelievable job! I can't imagine the task you had before you and you really went above and beyond meeting our expectations. I appreciate it so much.
    Thanks also to everyone who sent in seeds. I could see that you all spent time and were very creative in planning who to prepare seeds for. I never even knew some of these varieties existed.
    Sarah Kate stayed after school for a dance but I can't wait till she gets home to see her special baggie. You just don't know how she gets excited to have her own mail. She is going to be trying wintersowing with me this year so this will get her motivation going! Thanks again Jeanne and all who participated. I could not be more pleased! Nik

• shellfreak
    15 years ago

OMG-- Garden Santa arrived today. Thanks everyone for a wonderful selection and especially to Jeanne who did a great job as hostess. It's gonna be a nice weekend here-- around 80 degrees so I guess I know what I'll be doing!!

Beverly

• rbrady
    15 years ago

Santa came to my house today, too! There's nothing better than receiving seeds in the mail. Thanks to everyone for the selection of seeds, and to Jeanne for the excellent work she did in sorting them out. I love them all!

BTW: I have zone envy right now-I won't see 80 for at least 6 months:(

Thanks again everyone!

Rhonda

• playintheyard
    15 years ago

Oh you guys I don't know were to start!!
    lol. I recieved a humongous package yesterday thank you all so much!!! This is also my fist swap and I am grinning ear to ear!! Last year I ws for the first time and loved it.
    I have a gardening girlfriend whom I've been telling to join GW and check everything out. Well I brought my package to work and let her open it, her jaw fell to the floor and I'm not exaggerating!! We went pawing thru those packages!!
    You people are so generous there's enough seed there to fill both our yards and them some. Bet she'll sign up now huh??
    I honestly think this will be my best Christmas present for years to come.
    Looking forward to researching all these this a.m. Oh and of course planning new beds for it all!!!!lol I kept reading posts saying all of this was addicting and how right everyone was!
    Jeanne thank you so much for being the hostess! What an undertaking, you must be so relieved that it's done. All of your valuable time and effort it so greatly appreciated!!

Happy holidays to you all,
    Annette playintheyard

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Yay! My package left Oklahoma City this morning, so hopefully that means that when I get home from work, it will be waiting for me! I'm so very excited and can't wait!

Kathy

• playintheyard
    15 years ago

Oops 2 more things I wanted to say (sorry)
    I'll have to cancel my want and wish lists as I've gotten it all and more!!
    "zone envy" - you said that right shell freak!!
    Thanks again Annette-playintheyard

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Wow! Wow! Wow! I'm just in awe. I'm in the midst of holiday baking, but looked quickly at the seeds that arrived today. Thank you everyone & especially Jeanne for all of your efforts!

• shellfreak
    15 years ago

Rhonda:

Yeah- winters (if you can call them that) here are pretty nice. But from May-Oct & it's 95 degrees & the humidity is off the charts or a hurricane is acomin-- I sometimes wish was somewhere else.

Have a great weekend everyone and enjoy your new seeds!

Beverly

• mommyto2
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone!!!
    *jumping up and down* I got my package!!! Jeanne, you're AWESOME!! Thanks so much for doing an outstanding job!! And Thanks to ALL of you who sent me seeds XOXO!! I have enough seeds to sow an entire city block for my hummer/butterflies and make the entire block a red bed! Now if I could only get my neighbors to help, that would be soooooo good :)

I hope all of you are blessed with many more flowers (and seeds of course) this coming year!!!
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!

Monica

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Whoo Hoo!!!

I got my seeds last night! We didn't get home till late so I took them in and Zack and I dumped out on the bed, WOW was he excited to get his very own seeds and card! That was so sweet!

And I want to say a big THANK YOU to all the people that marked seeds for us! That was such a wonderful surprise!

And of course a GREAT BIG THANK YOU to you Jeanne for all you did for this swap! You really did do a terrific job!!

Thanks again everyone! This really has been a great swap!
    Vicky and Zachery

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

WOW!!! What can I say? I'm overwhelmed by the number and variety of seeds I got back today!!!!! Thank you so much to each of you who marked seeds for Vincent, Devin and I!

Jeanne, the boys were thrilled to have their own packages complete with a note and a candy cane! They are ready to start planting now! How wonderful of you to make this so special for them!

Again, thank you all for the wonderful selection and to Jeanne for hosting this and doing such an amazing job!

Kathy

• etravia
    15 years ago

Yippeee! My seeds came yesterday. Thank you Jeanne, for being so organized, and everyone else for such a great selection of seeds! It's always so fun to open a big package of seeds! This was a wonderful swap. Now I have to start getting my wintersowing containers ready!
    Maggie

• stage_rat
    15 years ago

Thank you Jeanne, Thank you everyone!

I love my seeds, I got so many of my wishes, and some super cool stuff for my themes! A special thank-you to those who sent things specifically for me!

I hope no one minds the crude packets I had to make after I misplaced my ziplock baggies.

Jeanne, you did such a great job! This is quite an accomplishment! Maybe there should be "Gardenweb Merit Badges"--like in Boy or Girl Scouts. If you host a swap, you earn a badge for it--it's definitely something to be proud of completing successfully.

• ghoghunter
    15 years ago

Jeanne, Wow thanks for the extra seeds! I got your second envelope yesterday. Such nice seeds too..thanks for taking to time to send them on to me!
    Joann